Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,625
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 14,411 | Reviews: 3,602
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Interestingly enough before I ever tried this beer I tasted some ice cream a friend of mine had used Founders Breakfast Stout in that he was touting as "stout ice cream". After trying it I told him it didn't taste anything like a stout, it only tasted like coffee ice cream. The other flavors had faded when mixed with so much else, but the coffee flavor stayed strong. After tasting and reviewing this beer I can see why!

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet. This beer pours a dark, dark black that even when backlit with a lamp allows no light to pass though. There are absolutely no highlights in the glass, and this beer is blacker than any other I've had. It requires quite a vigorous pour to achieve a head from this beer, but when one does form it's a beautiful dark brown color (almost like cinnamon), with a soft, pillowy texture. The appearance of this beer definitely signifies to any stout lover that "something delicious is in store for you".

Smell: The nose of this beer hits like a truck, smelling of dark chocolate and, of course, coffee. Perhaps "smell" isn't a strong enough word for the coffee aroma, because there's enough coffee smell in this nose to make even the strongest cups of coffee feel a little self-conscious. Needless to say this is a coffee lovers beer, and I love coffee. I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Taste: This beer starts off very sweet and tasting of chocolate, moves to a strong espresso taste, and finishes with a moderate amount of hop bitterness. Founders claims this beer is only 25 IBU's, but I would have guessed it at much higher. This beer tastes like the lovechild of a strong espresso and a sweet, smooth mocha; and Founders has done an incredible job of drawing every ounce of coffee flavor from those Sumatra and Kona beans.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is big and full-bodied and feels heavenly smooth on the tongue. It's a sign of a great beer when it manages to have such a full body and so many rich flavors and yet remain so incredibly creamy, and Founders Breakfast Stout is definitely in that category.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 8.3% alcohol the bottle claims this beer has, and I could definitely see myself getting into trouble with this one. The flavors, the body, the nose, and the smoothness of this beer combine to make for one incredibly drinkable stout.

Notes: At the time of my review this beer is sitting at number sixteen on the Best of BA list (it's been moving back and forth between fifteen and sixteen for a few weeks now) and it definitely deserves to be up there. My only complaint is that this is a seasonal release, but God knows I'll be buying even more of it next year than I did this year. A phenomenal beer and a must try for any stout lover and especially any coffee lover!

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: This beer pours an oily opaque onxy black with a thick beautifully dark brown luscious head.

Smell: Forward on the aroma of this beer is fresh brewed espresso and dark roasted coffee deans. There is a definite note of dark bitter chocolate and sweet caramel. There is a creamyness and fullness to the aroma of this beer. Something like I would associated with a fresh brewed and mixed cappuccino. There is a light ashy roast (think awaking to a snuffed camp fire in the morning) that comes across in the finish.

Taste: This beer has a heavy dark charred burnt bread component that is balanced nicely by notes of bittersweet chocolate. You get a slight hint of fresh brewed coffee, but this is highly overshadowed by the deep rich roasted flavors. There is an interesting caramelized dark fruit flavor along with a rich bread pudding component. The beer ends with a satisfying malt sweetness, slight notes of aged tobacco, and an ashy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: This beer is fulled bodied and coats your palette. It is thick and vicious, but amazingly finishes clean due to the medium carbonation. It does not overwhelm your palette for being such a heavy beer.

Drinkability: It would be an injustice to do anything but sip this wonderful beer. That being said, it's perfectly drinkable as a slow sipper. Yet, I could still be content to drink through 2 or three of these in an evening.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Founder's really steps it up with their stouts and this is no exception. There is a wonderful balance between bitter roastyness and sweet malt character to make a wonderfully complex beer. The aroma and flavors are deep, complex and intriguing bringing me back sip and sip excited for what I might find. This is a fantastic beer and a must try for anyone who appreciates craft brew.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to slater1313 for the trade!

Pours a thick oily black with about half a finger of head, good color but nothing remarkable for the style.

I have to say that the first couple times I'd try FBS I wasn't super impressed, but for some reason this last bottle really upped the ante. Right from licking the bottle cap (a habit of mine) I could taste the awesome cocoa & coffee flavors. The beer conveyed the same great smells, like unsweetened cocoa powder.

The taste was great too, to say the least, adding to the complexity: dark chocolate, roast coffee, bitterness from the hops and the roasty-toasty malt, some pepper.

Maybe I'm buying into the "breakfast" motif too much, but this has a kind of milky aftertaste & mouthfeel (a good thing). Thick mouthfeel, chocolate stays on the tongue, dancing carbonation. Could definitely put away a few of these, especially on a cold winter evening, & curl up in the happy warmth. Yum!

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance- Thick, like oil- opaque black with light brown head and thick sheets of lacing

Smell- Strong on coffee, cocoa and what smells like pleasantly burnt toast, almost a campfire-like smokiness

Taste- Well balanced coffee and toasty malt, cocoa, burnt crispness, bitter finish, full of breakfast-like smoky flavors; overall, a pretty complex beer.

Mouthfeel- Heavy body that's nearly chewy. Good carbonation

Drinkability- Though I personally feel like I could have quite a few of these, that could just be the 8.3 ABV talking. Definitely at least one with my eggs and bacon for breakfast.

3.55/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Very dark with just a touch of light at the edges. The thin brown head disappears quickly.

S: Medium strength aroma of roasted malt and espresso, some oatmeal and a touch of chocolate. Not as much chocolate as I was expecting.

MF: Medium-bodied at best and a bit watery. Very light on carbonation.

T: The taste isn't big, but roasted malt is the predominant flavor with the oatmeal next and the coffee in the finish. For a "double chocolate" stout, I tasted very little chocolate. The bitterness is only in the finish and very coffee-like. The alcohol is mostly well-hidden, but a little hot in the finish.

Overall: I like a bit bolder flavor and thicker mouthfeel from this sort of stout, but it is far from bad.

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: Looks syrupy on the pour! Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of brown head. For an aggressive pour, the beer didn't agitate much... Head has decent retention. Opaque black liquid.
S: Coffee, chocolate, I'm reminded of a frappuccino. A small amount of alcohol is there, but it is pleasant and fruity.
T: Bitter chocolate, rich and very forward malt, a tad of alcohol. Delicious. A little sweet stab down the middle of my tongue becomes apparent halfway through.
M: Silky opening which transitions into a warm pleasant alcohol. Ends a tad hot, but very nice.
D: Way high for an Imperial Stout. This is one of the best of the style that I've had. This is tasty and brings me crawling back for more. Very enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Dark chocolate sweetness that leaves a heavy lace on the glass. A light tan foam that sticks around to play for a while.
Smells of bakers chocolate and coffee. A perfect breakfast in my humble opinion.
Sweet chocolate with some coffee to bitter things up, just a touch of hops and a nice strong malty finish. A very well rounded beer. All of the flavors mix together perfectly.
The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, complimented by moderate carbonation.
Easy to drown oneself in a few of these, thanks yet again Founders.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this up on a recent road trip through North Carolina.
Poured into my Duvel Tulip.
Black viscous pour with a reddish/brown head. I jammed a maglite on the side of this to see what I could find. The only thing I could find were some small bubbles choking their way to the surface. Thin head that yielded a small ring of little bubbles and had gorgeous lacing all the way down.

Smells of delicious dark chocolate, or cocoa nibs, and COFFEE. not just coffee, but good Sumatran coffee being brewed right under my nose. Sometimes, I go into my local coffee shop and they're making chocolate chip cookies and brewing strong, rich coffee and it smells like this. I have dreamed about beer smelling this good, but never realized it could.

Taste is dark roasted chocolate and strong coffee. I'm not sure if the oats lend to this or not, but it's a little bittersweet with something of a turkish fig flavor to it. I love the bitterness. There is a vanilla-bready sweetness to this which may also be the oats mixing with the other flavors.

Mouthfeel is silky and smooth. Not overly thick, but damn near chewable. It sticks to your ribs. Barely carbonated at all, which is fine with me.

Drinkability- This is truly a perfect representation of it's name. The name is carried in the smell AND the taste to precision. I am in love with this beer. It smells like a bakery and blows me away with every sip. I may have a new favorite on my hands, luckily, I bought a few four paks!!

Another fine beer from Founders!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this one in a trade from DrDogbeer. Thanks.

Pours a very dark black. Although it doesn't look as viscous as the KBS. Thin tan head formed that dissapated fast but leaves some sticky lacing.

Smell is awesome. Lots of coffee with bitter sweet chocolate. Lots of toastyness.

Taste is awesome. Lots of coffee flavor and bitter sweet chocolate. The oats lend a smoothness that is much appreciated after the bitterness from the roasted malts and from the coffee. It tastes almost as if I'm biting down on a chocolate covered espresso bean. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel could be a little more viscous.

Overall I can't wait to let a few of these sit and then taste how they changed. A very good brew. Recomended.

4.02/5  rDev -11.1%

this beer pours a bold black syrupy color with a small amber/chocolate head it looks awesome.. the smell is great its coffee and chocolate with black currant fruit smells and malts WOW! the taste is bold but bittersweet you can smell it before you sip it you know its delicious.. the mouthfeel coats your tongue and stomach with coffee, chocolate, malts hops, delicious.. its very drinkable but 1 at a time for me.. another great brew from founders they continue to impress me with their outstanding brews

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Imperial stouts are not usually my beer of choice, but this one really impressed me. I had it on tap at the Roadhouse in Brookline, MA. I should have waited until after our meal to order it, because it is so delicious on its own.

The coffee and chocolate tastes come through beautifully, but not overpoweringly. It's sweet, but not too sweet. The body is smooth but not syrupy. I can't wait to get my hands on more, and to try the Kentucky and Maple versions, if I am so lucky.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Pour: Absolutely black with a copper colored head.
Smell: Roasted malts, coffee and chocolate, an excellent aroma
Taste: Incredibly smooth, full bodied beer. Roasted malts, coffee and chocolate dominate the initial taste and the finish is very smooth, with sweet oatmeal characters.
Although the name says breakfast, this is the perfect beer for anytime of day and is absolutely delicious. One of the best

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter glass.

Black and virtually opaque, with a thick, creamy brown topper that resists fade and holds true until the very end, leaving curtains of lace behind on the glass.

A big, mouth-watering aroma ascends into the nose, with hefty notes of sweet and bittersweet chocolate and roasted coffee.

Rich and smooth in body, coating the palate with dessert-like delicacy: dark chocolate seems to melt on the tongue, with roasty coffeeish notes filling in the middle along with a soft, oat-like bready impression that lasts through into the lingering sweet finish.

Delicious and rewarding, this beer's name is not far from what it seems to represent: a delicious, hearty, and sweet breakfast. I could honestly drink this every morning, but it works just as well as a dessert stout, and holds less of a stigma as such.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours jet black with dark brown head; thinner on the swirl than the usual strong stout. Nose is smokey and nutty, containing dark chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Coffee on the mouth, a chocolate bitterness, finishes with vanilla. None of the tart, dark fruits or licorice that often come with the strong stouts. Mouthfeel is a bit wetter than most strong stouts, well carbonated. Highly drinkable for a strong stout, the alcohol is noticeably milder compared to the double digit ABVs of its Russian Imperial cousins. A very lovely beer.

3.88/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours black with off white head. Smells rich and coffeelike, roasted. The flavor is smooth, rich, and coffeelike, with hints of cherry and wood. It moves across the tongue chocolatey and smooth, with a little raisin flavor. The mouthfeel is milky and clingy. Very drinkable and slightly bitter.

4.52/5  rDev 0%

I had this for the first time a few months back for my birthday on tap at the Flying Saucer downtown in Raleigh. I enjoyed it but since it was the last brew of that quite enjoyable evening I wasn't exactly in reviewing shape. Suddenly, after years of just seeing it here on the site, Founders in readily available here in NC.

Well, I'm slightly disappointed in the head or lack thereof but the color is a spot on black and the nose is pure dark black coffee tone with hops as a wingman.

The taste is bitter and the oats and other whole grains match up well with the coffee tones, which are close to overwhelming. There is hop balance throughout but there is never any real doubt who's driving the bus. The texture is inordinately thick and oily and coats the throat like few beers I've ever quaffed.

Considering the ABV, this goes down extremely smooth and is well worth whatever extraordinary sum you must pay for it. A prince among stouts.

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

I've been looking for this beer for a while, so I was excited when offered a bottle by philipquarles. I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

A: This pours jet black with a small head. It's completely opaque even when held to a bright light.

S: Smells like coffee and oatmeal with hints of blueberry. The roasted malts are strong and almost smell a bit burnt. If nothing else, this smell is unique.

T: Tastes like I'm drinking a mild version of an iced coffee. A weaker dark chocolate flavor hits the tongue first with a lingering coffee taste afterward. The only thing I can fault this beer on is not being a little more bitter, but it's still great.

M: A nice fullness to this beer. It is rich and smooth.

D: This beer is about as drinkable as a stout can be. I'd purchase this beer more often if it was readily available in the area.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Twelve ounce bottle poured somewhat aggressively into a pint glass.

A- Pours out black like coffee with a frothy tan head. This beer looks thick and creamy.
S- Smells like a hearty breakfast! Coffee, chocolate, oats, some vanilla-cinnamon type smell in the background, too. If it were porridge, this would be Goldilocks' perfect, "just right" bowl.
T- Coffee and cocoa dominate the palate at first, to be deliciously followed by the dry oat presence. Appropriately called a breakfast stout!
M- Mmm, thick, creamy and chewy. The baby on the label has it right, you could serve this beer on a spoon. Pint glass suffices just fine for me though.
D- Like a good and rich breakfast, just the right amount will satisfy perfectly.
When the day comes for me to have a breakfast beer, I'll plan accordingly and have this be that very beer. I can see it now, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns... and a Founders Breakfast Stout!

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

S: Bottle at the Dirty Truth in North Hampton MA at the Dirty Truth on 2/21/09.
A: Dark as a steer's tokus on a moonless prairie night (The big Lebowski)
S: Coffee, chocolate, molasses, and maple syrup. (had me thinking Sun. morning breakfast!)
T: Phenomenal! definite notes of coffee, chocolate, molasses come to mind.
M: Full, creamy, with just the right touch of carbonation. Excellent job in coating the palate. Also, nice job on hiding the fact that this beer is 8.3% abv.
D: Exceptional. Very smooth Imperial Stout. By far one of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever tried. Kicks my all time fave (Southern Tier Chokolat) a well intended kick in the arse!

4.17/5  rDev -7.7%

Black hue with miniscule muddy head that clears away fast. This brew has a tasty aroma of chocolate, coffee roast, alcoholic booze, and spice. Taste is quite calm and balanced: smooth chocolate cream, mousse-like taste with no alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth. Thick body but slides down easy. Definitely would love to have this with dessert at night or with chocolate chip pancakes to start my day.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours black with a small tan head and good lacing.

Scent of coffee, chocolate, oatmeal, molasses, maple syrup, roasted malts, and coffee. Seems a bit toned down from the bottled product, but still excellent.

Taste of coffee, chocolate, oatmeal, prunes, maple syrup, smoke and roasted malts. A great, complex breakfast themed beer, I love it.

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied and a bit of carbonation keeps it from being boring.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours as black as night with one finger of brown head.

Another reviewer hit it right on the money when he said "it smells like breakfast". Coffee, pancakes and syrup is exact.

More complex then i expected. Coffee and more so Chocolate are the major flavors here. I must admit this is a very smooth drinking stout.
I see where they get the name from. I can invision myself drinking this for breakfast.
I've been wanting to try this for a long time and i finally bought myself a bottle tonight from capones. I really wish i could find this stuff by the case around here. I think tomorrow i will search out some local beer distributors and see if anyone carries this.
This is an AWESOME stout!!

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Jet black...there is not letting light through this one...thin head...but laces nicely

S - Purely roasted malts...chocolate and coffee aromas

T - Rich roasted malts...very big on that flavor...the coffee flavor rushes in at the end...almost like I'm having a cup...this beer betters as it warms...the warming alcohol sensation comes in as it gets warmer too

M - Full bodied...coats ever inch of the palate

D - Finally was able to have this after waiting a long time...it was worth the wait...contemplating on having my next one with breakfast...

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer comes with a lot of hype, so I'm trying to taper expectations as I pour this double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. [I let it sit for about 30 minutes out of the fridge before cracking the bottle open, but it still feels probably a little colder than I want it... but I want beer now.]

Pours a completely opaque black. No highlights shining through even when held up to the light. Very, very little head, just enough of a layer to cover the surface of the beer... maybe not quite a hard enough pour. Tan head dissipates quickly.

I can smell it from where it sits on the table, a foot or more away. Smells like chocolate malt. I stick my nose in there and there's just a feast of chocolate, or chocolate malt, or both. Wow, it smells great. I can detect even a bit of coffee mixed in, but I don't I'd have been able to identify it if I didn't know it were there.

Wow. Taste is great. All chocolate malt and actually chocolatiness up front, with just a hint of alcohol warming in the after taste. Even a couple seconds after that the coffee flavor really introduces itself and lingers on my palate. Each sip after doesn't hit with as much a rush of flavor as the first, but it is still damn good. Despite the slight warming, the over 8% ABV is well hidden.

Nice and thick and heavy in the feel. Absolutely nothing lacking in that department. Very drinkable, but the flavor is so strong I think one would be all I need. I can't see cracking another after this first one. Perfect beer to take your time on, and I think I could actually see drinking this with breakfast... especially with breakfast meats, like bacon, sausage, or a ham omelet.

Hype around a beer can do one of two things... it can set the bar too high, so the actual thing leaves you disappointed; or, it can make you think it is better than it really is. Definitely hasn't ruined the experience for me, and I think it would have been great even if I'd known nothing of this beer going in. No way to know, but I definitely recommend this beer for stout lovers.

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

A- Dark murky brown with a cream colored creamy head.

S- Huge whiffs of black coffee, faintly dark chocolate and resiny

T- Coffee, coffee, coffee. Dark coffee hits big like raw grinds up front and rides throughout. Roasted malt astringency to the point of burnt adds to the herbal coffee bite. Slight hint of dark bitter chocolate. A slight milky oat smoothness tries to break through the huge layer of coffee/malt bitterness for a split second but it loses. Slight warming alcohol in the finish.

M- A bit thick and chewy but not quite full bodied, lots of smoothness with a bit of carbonation.

D- Coffee is not my bag, so right off the bat this isn't really my kind of brew. That being said I still think this is a somewhat overrated brew. There isn't nearly enough balance with all of the twangy, resiny, astringency from the coffee/burnt malt flavors. Maybe you have to be a coffee lover to really appreciate this beer.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company