Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,627
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 14,417 | Reviews: 3,606
4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

The beer looks great. It's thick and black--indicative of the chocolate and coffee it features. Nice head, nice lacing. It looks like breakfast. The only thing preventing me from the perfect 5 is the syrupy pour--looks like it might be too thick.

Smell is great. Great coffee. Great chocolate. Great oatmeal. I'd like to try the coffee they make this with, eat oatmeal with the baby on the bottle label, and bite the chocolate bar from whence this beer came. This beer could be a Yankee Candle.

It tastes great. Everything it promises. I think the coffee makes perhaps the biggest impact, so maybe I question the double chocolate claim relative to everything else, but...who cares? I could drink this with eggs and grits at sunrise, eggs benedict at noon, steak and eggs at supper, you get the picture. Not that eggs would be an oh-so-appropriate food pairing, but this beer is appealing at any time like breakfast. AND it tastes like dessert.

The mouthfeel combines the beer's individual elements, but holding it within my mouth makes me lose that wonderful smell and I get a bit of a burnt roasted malt in the aftertaste that also provides a bit of an alcohol burn. I like it, but it's not as smooth as the beer's other characteristics.

I experience some difficulty rating the drinkability of a stout. Like good coffee, good chocolate, and (to a lesser extent) good oatmeal, you can enjoy them only to a certain extent. Like coffee, I most like the start of this beer. Like chocolate, the middle is so fulfilling. But like oatmeal, the best part is not at the end and the end doesn't really make it memorable and enjoyable like the initial experience.

This beer is great and available enough for folks to keep on hand. I don't think there'll be many claims that it's the best ever, but I don't think there'll be much disagreement about the Founders Breakfast Stout being a genuinely great beer.

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%

y wife actually deemed this a "destination beer" because it is not available in St. Louis. Thankfully, you can take a short trip across the river into Illinois and pick some up. As the name implies, you could drink it for breakfast. It is almost like a glass of coffee with some chocolate if your coffee was 8.3% ABV. It has more body than a lot of stouts. While you won't sit and drink a lot of these at one sitting, you will want to start off with this truly amazing beer.

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Edit: Had the 2007 last fall, and just recently the 2008. This is an averaged review between the two.

A- Pours black with a light brown head.

S- Smells of huge roasted coffee. Roasted walnuts and almonds also are quite prevalent. Dark chocolate plays a smaller role but is still there.

T- Lots of coffee. Black coffee, walnuts, almonds, dark chocolate. Lingering dark chocolate/coffee bitterness. Nice. The 2007 featured more chocolate than the 2008.

M- Quite smooth for a coffee stout, thanks to the addition of oatmeal. Full bodied, nothing heavy, but acceptable.

D- Drinkability is nice, but this is an imperial stout remember.

Overall a nice beer, fans of peche mortel will like this; as the two beers are quite similar. I think the 2007 was considerably better, but it was aged about a year and everything came together better than the fresh version. I probably would have given that a score of somewhere between a 4.4, and a 4.5.

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had this at Manny Brown's in Newtown PA(mailing address says Langorne)

Anyway pours an black cloudy color with a coffee colored heading thick with some nice to that ass.

Nose is immediate of a ridiculous amount of coffee and very rich chocolate's.A nice big bite of maltiness stays with you throughout. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled.

Taste is just simply awesome very smooth,slick with a great deal of coffee goodness and some caramel,also a slight spicy hoppiness to it.Unlike anything I've ever tasted.

All and All a great beer.Did I say Unlike anything I've ever tasted before in my life. I am glad I bought this.

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Interestingly enough before I ever tried this beer I tasted some ice cream a friend of mine had used Founders Breakfast Stout in that he was touting as "stout ice cream". After trying it I told him it didn't taste anything like a stout, it only tasted like coffee ice cream. The other flavors had faded when mixed with so much else, but the coffee flavor stayed strong. After tasting and reviewing this beer I can see why!

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet. This beer pours a dark, dark black that even when backlit with a lamp allows no light to pass though. There are absolutely no highlights in the glass, and this beer is blacker than any other I've had. It requires quite a vigorous pour to achieve a head from this beer, but when one does form it's a beautiful dark brown color (almost like cinnamon), with a soft, pillowy texture. The appearance of this beer definitely signifies to any stout lover that "something delicious is in store for you".

Smell: The nose of this beer hits like a truck, smelling of dark chocolate and, of course, coffee. Perhaps "smell" isn't a strong enough word for the coffee aroma, because there's enough coffee smell in this nose to make even the strongest cups of coffee feel a little self-conscious. Needless to say this is a coffee lovers beer, and I love coffee. I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Taste: This beer starts off very sweet and tasting of chocolate, moves to a strong espresso taste, and finishes with a moderate amount of hop bitterness. Founders claims this beer is only 25 IBU's, but I would have guessed it at much higher. This beer tastes like the lovechild of a strong espresso and a sweet, smooth mocha; and Founders has done an incredible job of drawing every ounce of coffee flavor from those Sumatra and Kona beans.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is big and full-bodied and feels heavenly smooth on the tongue. It's a sign of a great beer when it manages to have such a full body and so many rich flavors and yet remain so incredibly creamy, and Founders Breakfast Stout is definitely in that category.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 8.3% alcohol the bottle claims this beer has, and I could definitely see myself getting into trouble with this one. The flavors, the body, the nose, and the smoothness of this beer combine to make for one incredibly drinkable stout.

Notes: At the time of my review this beer is sitting at number sixteen on the Best of BA list (it's been moving back and forth between fifteen and sixteen for a few weeks now) and it definitely deserves to be up there. My only complaint is that this is a seasonal release, but God knows I'll be buying even more of it next year than I did this year. A phenomenal beer and a must try for any stout lover and especially any coffee lover!

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: This beer pours an oily opaque onxy black with a thick beautifully dark brown luscious head.

Smell: Forward on the aroma of this beer is fresh brewed espresso and dark roasted coffee deans. There is a definite note of dark bitter chocolate and sweet caramel. There is a creamyness and fullness to the aroma of this beer. Something like I would associated with a fresh brewed and mixed cappuccino. There is a light ashy roast (think awaking to a snuffed camp fire in the morning) that comes across in the finish.

Taste: This beer has a heavy dark charred burnt bread component that is balanced nicely by notes of bittersweet chocolate. You get a slight hint of fresh brewed coffee, but this is highly overshadowed by the deep rich roasted flavors. There is an interesting caramelized dark fruit flavor along with a rich bread pudding component. The beer ends with a satisfying malt sweetness, slight notes of aged tobacco, and an ashy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: This beer is fulled bodied and coats your palette. It is thick and vicious, but amazingly finishes clean due to the medium carbonation. It does not overwhelm your palette for being such a heavy beer.

Drinkability: It would be an injustice to do anything but sip this wonderful beer. That being said, it's perfectly drinkable as a slow sipper. Yet, I could still be content to drink through 2 or three of these in an evening.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Founder's really steps it up with their stouts and this is no exception. There is a wonderful balance between bitter roastyness and sweet malt character to make a wonderfully complex beer. The aroma and flavors are deep, complex and intriguing bringing me back sip and sip excited for what I might find. This is a fantastic beer and a must try for anyone who appreciates craft brew.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to slater1313 for the trade!

Pours a thick oily black with about half a finger of head, good color but nothing remarkable for the style.

I have to say that the first couple times I'd try FBS I wasn't super impressed, but for some reason this last bottle really upped the ante. Right from licking the bottle cap (a habit of mine) I could taste the awesome cocoa & coffee flavors. The beer conveyed the same great smells, like unsweetened cocoa powder.

The taste was great too, to say the least, adding to the complexity: dark chocolate, roast coffee, bitterness from the hops and the roasty-toasty malt, some pepper.

Maybe I'm buying into the "breakfast" motif too much, but this has a kind of milky aftertaste & mouthfeel (a good thing). Thick mouthfeel, chocolate stays on the tongue, dancing carbonation. Could definitely put away a few of these, especially on a cold winter evening, & curl up in the happy warmth. Yum!

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance- Thick, like oil- opaque black with light brown head and thick sheets of lacing

Smell- Strong on coffee, cocoa and what smells like pleasantly burnt toast, almost a campfire-like smokiness

Taste- Well balanced coffee and toasty malt, cocoa, burnt crispness, bitter finish, full of breakfast-like smoky flavors; overall, a pretty complex beer.

Mouthfeel- Heavy body that's nearly chewy. Good carbonation

Drinkability- Though I personally feel like I could have quite a few of these, that could just be the 8.3 ABV talking. Definitely at least one with my eggs and bacon for breakfast.

3.55/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Very dark with just a touch of light at the edges. The thin brown head disappears quickly.

S: Medium strength aroma of roasted malt and espresso, some oatmeal and a touch of chocolate. Not as much chocolate as I was expecting.

MF: Medium-bodied at best and a bit watery. Very light on carbonation.

T: The taste isn't big, but roasted malt is the predominant flavor with the oatmeal next and the coffee in the finish. For a "double chocolate" stout, I tasted very little chocolate. The bitterness is only in the finish and very coffee-like. The alcohol is mostly well-hidden, but a little hot in the finish.

Overall: I like a bit bolder flavor and thicker mouthfeel from this sort of stout, but it is far from bad.

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: Looks syrupy on the pour! Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of brown head. For an aggressive pour, the beer didn't agitate much... Head has decent retention. Opaque black liquid.
S: Coffee, chocolate, I'm reminded of a frappuccino. A small amount of alcohol is there, but it is pleasant and fruity.
T: Bitter chocolate, rich and very forward malt, a tad of alcohol. Delicious. A little sweet stab down the middle of my tongue becomes apparent halfway through.
M: Silky opening which transitions into a warm pleasant alcohol. Ends a tad hot, but very nice.
D: Way high for an Imperial Stout. This is one of the best of the style that I've had. This is tasty and brings me crawling back for more. Very enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Dark chocolate sweetness that leaves a heavy lace on the glass. A light tan foam that sticks around to play for a while.
Smells of bakers chocolate and coffee. A perfect breakfast in my humble opinion.
Sweet chocolate with some coffee to bitter things up, just a touch of hops and a nice strong malty finish. A very well rounded beer. All of the flavors mix together perfectly.
The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, complimented by moderate carbonation.
Easy to drown oneself in a few of these, thanks yet again Founders.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this up on a recent road trip through North Carolina.
Poured into my Duvel Tulip.
Black viscous pour with a reddish/brown head. I jammed a maglite on the side of this to see what I could find. The only thing I could find were some small bubbles choking their way to the surface. Thin head that yielded a small ring of little bubbles and had gorgeous lacing all the way down.

Smells of delicious dark chocolate, or cocoa nibs, and COFFEE. not just coffee, but good Sumatran coffee being brewed right under my nose. Sometimes, I go into my local coffee shop and they're making chocolate chip cookies and brewing strong, rich coffee and it smells like this. I have dreamed about beer smelling this good, but never realized it could.

Taste is dark roasted chocolate and strong coffee. I'm not sure if the oats lend to this or not, but it's a little bittersweet with something of a turkish fig flavor to it. I love the bitterness. There is a vanilla-bready sweetness to this which may also be the oats mixing with the other flavors.

Mouthfeel is silky and smooth. Not overly thick, but damn near chewable. It sticks to your ribs. Barely carbonated at all, which is fine with me.

Drinkability- This is truly a perfect representation of it's name. The name is carried in the smell AND the taste to precision. I am in love with this beer. It smells like a bakery and blows me away with every sip. I may have a new favorite on my hands, luckily, I bought a few four paks!!

Another fine beer from Founders!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this one in a trade from DrDogbeer. Thanks.

Pours a very dark black. Although it doesn't look as viscous as the KBS. Thin tan head formed that dissapated fast but leaves some sticky lacing.

Smell is awesome. Lots of coffee with bitter sweet chocolate. Lots of toastyness.

Taste is awesome. Lots of coffee flavor and bitter sweet chocolate. The oats lend a smoothness that is much appreciated after the bitterness from the roasted malts and from the coffee. It tastes almost as if I'm biting down on a chocolate covered espresso bean. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel could be a little more viscous.

Overall I can't wait to let a few of these sit and then taste how they changed. A very good brew. Recomended.

4.02/5  rDev -11.1%

this beer pours a bold black syrupy color with a small amber/chocolate head it looks awesome.. the smell is great its coffee and chocolate with black currant fruit smells and malts WOW! the taste is bold but bittersweet you can smell it before you sip it you know its delicious.. the mouthfeel coats your tongue and stomach with coffee, chocolate, malts hops, delicious.. its very drinkable but 1 at a time for me.. another great brew from founders they continue to impress me with their outstanding brews

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Imperial stouts are not usually my beer of choice, but this one really impressed me. I had it on tap at the Roadhouse in Brookline, MA. I should have waited until after our meal to order it, because it is so delicious on its own.

The coffee and chocolate tastes come through beautifully, but not overpoweringly. It's sweet, but not too sweet. The body is smooth but not syrupy. I can't wait to get my hands on more, and to try the Kentucky and Maple versions, if I am so lucky.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Pour: Absolutely black with a copper colored head.
Smell: Roasted malts, coffee and chocolate, an excellent aroma
Taste: Incredibly smooth, full bodied beer. Roasted malts, coffee and chocolate dominate the initial taste and the finish is very smooth, with sweet oatmeal characters.
Although the name says breakfast, this is the perfect beer for anytime of day and is absolutely delicious. One of the best

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter glass.

Black and virtually opaque, with a thick, creamy brown topper that resists fade and holds true until the very end, leaving curtains of lace behind on the glass.

A big, mouth-watering aroma ascends into the nose, with hefty notes of sweet and bittersweet chocolate and roasted coffee.

Rich and smooth in body, coating the palate with dessert-like delicacy: dark chocolate seems to melt on the tongue, with roasty coffeeish notes filling in the middle along with a soft, oat-like bready impression that lasts through into the lingering sweet finish.

Delicious and rewarding, this beer's name is not far from what it seems to represent: a delicious, hearty, and sweet breakfast. I could honestly drink this every morning, but it works just as well as a dessert stout, and holds less of a stigma as such.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours jet black with dark brown head; thinner on the swirl than the usual strong stout. Nose is smokey and nutty, containing dark chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Coffee on the mouth, a chocolate bitterness, finishes with vanilla. None of the tart, dark fruits or licorice that often come with the strong stouts. Mouthfeel is a bit wetter than most strong stouts, well carbonated. Highly drinkable for a strong stout, the alcohol is noticeably milder compared to the double digit ABVs of its Russian Imperial cousins. A very lovely beer.

3.88/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours black with off white head. Smells rich and coffeelike, roasted. The flavor is smooth, rich, and coffeelike, with hints of cherry and wood. It moves across the tongue chocolatey and smooth, with a little raisin flavor. The mouthfeel is milky and clingy. Very drinkable and slightly bitter.

4.52/5  rDev 0%

I had this for the first time a few months back for my birthday on tap at the Flying Saucer downtown in Raleigh. I enjoyed it but since it was the last brew of that quite enjoyable evening I wasn't exactly in reviewing shape. Suddenly, after years of just seeing it here on the site, Founders in readily available here in NC.

Well, I'm slightly disappointed in the head or lack thereof but the color is a spot on black and the nose is pure dark black coffee tone with hops as a wingman.

The taste is bitter and the oats and other whole grains match up well with the coffee tones, which are close to overwhelming. There is hop balance throughout but there is never any real doubt who's driving the bus. The texture is inordinately thick and oily and coats the throat like few beers I've ever quaffed.

Considering the ABV, this goes down extremely smooth and is well worth whatever extraordinary sum you must pay for it. A prince among stouts.

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

I've been looking for this beer for a while, so I was excited when offered a bottle by philipquarles. I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

A: This pours jet black with a small head. It's completely opaque even when held to a bright light.

S: Smells like coffee and oatmeal with hints of blueberry. The roasted malts are strong and almost smell a bit burnt. If nothing else, this smell is unique.

T: Tastes like I'm drinking a mild version of an iced coffee. A weaker dark chocolate flavor hits the tongue first with a lingering coffee taste afterward. The only thing I can fault this beer on is not being a little more bitter, but it's still great.

M: A nice fullness to this beer. It is rich and smooth.

D: This beer is about as drinkable as a stout can be. I'd purchase this beer more often if it was readily available in the area.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Twelve ounce bottle poured somewhat aggressively into a pint glass.

A- Pours out black like coffee with a frothy tan head. This beer looks thick and creamy.
S- Smells like a hearty breakfast! Coffee, chocolate, oats, some vanilla-cinnamon type smell in the background, too. If it were porridge, this would be Goldilocks' perfect, "just right" bowl.
T- Coffee and cocoa dominate the palate at first, to be deliciously followed by the dry oat presence. Appropriately called a breakfast stout!
M- Mmm, thick, creamy and chewy. The baby on the label has it right, you could serve this beer on a spoon. Pint glass suffices just fine for me though.
D- Like a good and rich breakfast, just the right amount will satisfy perfectly.
When the day comes for me to have a breakfast beer, I'll plan accordingly and have this be that very beer. I can see it now, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns... and a Founders Breakfast Stout!

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

S: Bottle at the Dirty Truth in North Hampton MA at the Dirty Truth on 2/21/09.
A: Dark as a steer's tokus on a moonless prairie night (The big Lebowski)
S: Coffee, chocolate, molasses, and maple syrup. (had me thinking Sun. morning breakfast!)
T: Phenomenal! definite notes of coffee, chocolate, molasses come to mind.
M: Full, creamy, with just the right touch of carbonation. Excellent job in coating the palate. Also, nice job on hiding the fact that this beer is 8.3% abv.
D: Exceptional. Very smooth Imperial Stout. By far one of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever tried. Kicks my all time fave (Southern Tier Chokolat) a well intended kick in the arse!

4.17/5  rDev -7.7%

Black hue with miniscule muddy head that clears away fast. This brew has a tasty aroma of chocolate, coffee roast, alcoholic booze, and spice. Taste is quite calm and balanced: smooth chocolate cream, mousse-like taste with no alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth. Thick body but slides down easy. Definitely would love to have this with dessert at night or with chocolate chip pancakes to start my day.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours black with a small tan head and good lacing.

Scent of coffee, chocolate, oatmeal, molasses, maple syrup, roasted malts, and coffee. Seems a bit toned down from the bottled product, but still excellent.

Taste of coffee, chocolate, oatmeal, prunes, maple syrup, smoke and roasted malts. A great, complex breakfast themed beer, I love it.

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied and a bit of carbonation keeps it from being boring.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company