Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,113
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Mooch273

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Dark, as if someone poured a quart of crude oil in my snifter. Tan colored head that dissipates quickly, leaving a slick of fine, minute bubbles on the surface.

A: Coffee, dark chocolate, very roasty and nutty. Can't wait for a drink.

T: Roasted coffee, dark bitter chocolate, roasted almonds. Absolutely delicious.

M: Thick yet smooth due to minute carbonation bubbles. Mild dryness after each sip.

D: Excellent drinkable beer. I could easily have a couple at a sitting. Great beer to stay warm with on a cool night, although I wouldn't mind adding this to my morning Cheerios. This one lives up to the hype.

09-28-2010 04:13:23 | More by Mooch273
LairdChisholm

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Pours pitch black. A slight dark brown, mocha head has pretty good retention. There is very good lacing.

S - A very good nose on this one. Smells of dark chocolate, coffee and cream. Wonderful.

T - Smooth, dark coffee up front. This is followed by notes of dark chocolate, cream and burnt malts. Very bold, but each flavor is pronounced exceptionally well. One of the best tasting stouts I've had.

M - So incredibly smooth. Nice and thick but goes down with ease. If I could give the mouthfeel a 6 I would. Exceptional.

D - When it tastes great and goes down smooth, you will have good drinkability. The only reason it's not perfect is because one is so satisfying.

09-28-2010 02:26:10 | More by LairdChisholm
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Served from tap into a 4oz tumbler. Pours reddish black with a minimal tan head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt and coffee beans. The flavor was of roasted malt, coffee, subtle vanilla, and cream. It had a heavy feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this brew was better on tap hands down. Seems that the flavors present were more crisp and defined than out of the bottle I had earlier in the week. Still good either way as this is quite an exceptional brew to say the least.

09-27-2010 12:11:34 | More by thagr81us
injuredreserve

Louisiana

A; Dark black with a thick chocolate malt head

s: fresh ground espresso beans, bitter chocolate, and slow roasted grains.

t: dark chocolate, espresso, toffee, dark cherries, caramelized brown sugar, and deep roasted malts..

m: Get me a spoon. absolutely perfect.

d: Where do I get more????.

09-27-2010 02:21:19 | More by injuredreserve
BobZ

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz. Bottle poured into my Aventinus Eisbock glass. 2009 release this bottle has been aged for about one year.

Appearance: Very dark brown almost black. Very little head both initially and throughout, mostly a dark tan ring.

Smell: Depth jumps out, big coffee, and big chocolate.

Taste: Chocolate is up front on this aged bottle, coffee mixes in nicely at the finish; both flavors are dominant.

Mouth feel: Again very smooth and creamy, nice on the palate.

Overall: Excellent breakfast stout, full of flavor, a nice junior to KBS & CBS.

09-26-2010 16:28:20 | More by BobZ
soze47

4.7/5  rDev +4%

I've been looking forward to trying this one for a while. This style seems to usually please, but not surprise me, so I'm hoping that Breakfast Stout gives me a unique experience.

Appearance: Ruby brown at first pour that accumulates into a luscious looking black pool. Thin auburn/light brown foam layer bubbles up and settles quickly in less than 5 seconds.

Aroma: The combination of the milk chocolate and coffee brings baking chocolate or pure cocoa to mind first. At subsequent sniffs, you can smell the coffee and chocolate as separate elements. Unique in that it smells like bitter coffee without crossing into espresso territory, which is what most other DS or RIS trend towards.

Taste: MMMmmm. The nose translates and blooms in the mouth. The milky chocolate sweet is the perfect counterpoint to the coffee bitterness. One of the most well-balanced stouts I've ever had. As it warms, the boozy warmth comes out to play. Rather than muddle or overwhelm the flavors, it compliments them and opens them up. Wow is this tasty.

MF: Velvety richness makes for a great experience. It is viscous, but in a non-cloying, positive way. The oatmeal becomes more apparent as it warms. That gives it a chewiness that is appropriate for the great, robust flavors.

Drinkability: Having one of these for breakfast would be appropriate, as it has a rich, belly-filling quality similar to a big bowl of oatmeal or plate of pancakes. On my second pour of this, I ate some organic, creamy chocolate ice cream along side of it. This was a perfect night cap/dessert.

Overall: I now understand the hype. Unique for the style as it has an overt sweetness from milk chocolate, but a perfect partner in coffee bitterness. Both are delicate when compared to the espresso/dark chocolate flavors present in others in this style. Founder's does a great job a creating a robust brew without overwhelming or smothering the flavors they are playing with. The best of the style I've ever had.

09-26-2010 15:55:48 | More by soze47
metter98

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A: The beer is jet black in color. It poured without a head but a thin ring of beige bubbles consistently lingered around the edge of the glass.
S: The smell is dominated by aromas of chocolate and coffee beans. There are also some hints of alcohol.
T: The taste is rather complex and has flavors of bitter coffee, milk chocolate and roasted malts.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very creamy and smooth on the palate. Not much carbonation is perceptible.
D: This beer is very easy to drink and is the perfect accompaniment to a weekend brunch. I will definitely stock up on this when I see it in the stores.

09-26-2010 13:14:02 | More by metter98
Blanco

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

pours a very, very, very dark brown. Almost black, but not quite. Head is thick and a solid brown color that almost disappears completely by the end. Some definite lacing going on here. Smell is of coffee and, more strongly, dark chocolate. The taste is incredibly smooth. I expected something bitter, but it's actually very smooth. The chocolate really comes out but it's not as complex as I would have expected. There isn't even a hint of the alcohol in this one. Mouthfeel is much thinner than the beer looks. In a way, this is a good thing, but I would have liked it a biiit thicker. It slides right on down, hardly coats the mouth and leaves almost no aftertaste. The beer is certainly very drinkable and truly an awesome beer.

09-26-2010 02:49:55 | More by Blanco
dayswonder

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

When I poured it from the growler it looked wonderful. The head just kept growing as I poured. The color of the head is a warm caramel color. Smell has notes of mocha.
The taste...Oh the taste is glorious! Absolutely amazing in my mouth it was like an explosion of flavors. Dark chocolate notes, coffee, and a little bitter towards the end. It's a good bitter though. The mouth feel is very silky and smooth. Overall it goes down smooth and lacing occurs down the whole glass. First time ever trying this beer and so far it's one of my favorite stouts.

09-25-2010 23:32:27 | More by dayswonder
feelmefoam

South Carolina

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

I was very surprised when I saw this at my local store... I've never really had an opportunity to try this beer before, but I picked up a 4 pack as soon as I spotted it today. Breakfast stout pours an amazing blackened ruby color as it goes into the glass, but as soon as it settles in there are absolutely no highlights to be seen whatsoever... pitch black even when held up to the brightest light in my apartment. I did a soft pour and only got a half finger of head, but it didn't leave too quickly and left some pretty nice lacing around the glass.

The nose is big and fragrant, just how I like them. Dark chocolate and roasted malts eagerly jump out of the glass, followed by tons of coffee. Tons. The bottle doesn't lie when it says its a coffee oatmeal stout. A little earthiness in there too? This thing is complex and fragrant, two things I love.

Equally as assertive on the tongue. Bittersweet chocolate mixed with a little graininess (possibly the oatmeal?), and a lot of coffee grounds over some more fudgy chocolate. Some earthy hoppiness, but it's slight. Most of the bitterness is coffee-derived, and I love it. Such a solid flavor on this.

The mouthfeel is amazing as well. Thick and creamy, just how I like my stouts. There's a bit of carbonation, but it's just enough to let you know it's there. The beer is thick and smooth and creamy that works so well with the chocolatey-coffee idea. Mmmm.

Overall, this beer is excellent. I'm actually upset that they only come in 4 packs. It definitely lives up to the hype. Not only is it obscenely drinkable for an 8%+ ABV beer, but it hides the alcohol amazingly well. I'm so glad this showed up at my local store, and I only hope others don't discover the secret too soon. Pick this up if you see it, you won't regret it.

09-25-2010 00:56:32 | More by feelmefoam
bigfnjoe

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a growler into a perfect pint.

A- pours pitch black with a 3 finger brown head. Lacing is perfect, all the way up the glass. Gorgeous

S- strong, dark coffee with slight hints of cocoa and roasted malts. I'd like a tad bit more cocoa and a little less coffee...that's my only complaint. Super strong and brilliant

T- I hope you like coffee, because that's what you're getting out of this one. Tons upon tons upon tons of coffee, and almost nothing but. Getting hints of roasted malts, but no real sweetness as I'd want from some chocolate...a little bit of a disappointment there

M- its actually not thick and syrupy at all, which took me by surprise a little bit. I expected a thick slush...it was a lot thinner than I expected, but there was still some body to it.

D- I expected more out of this, but its still a really good beer. Could have been balanced out a little more IMO

09-24-2010 21:12:15 | More by bigfnjoe
paulys55

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Glad this one is back in season, just arrived at my neighborhood pub. Poured into snifter a dark brown nearly black with tan head that dissipated moderately quickly but with nice lacing left on my glass. Smells like a Hershey's truck crashed into a Dunkin Donuts (if that were a good thing). Taste is burnt coffe and dark malts with the alcohol letting you know it is there but not dominating. Nice oily feel on the mouth and tongue and finish is coffee and chocolate. Breakfast my ass, I could drink this one anytime and if it weren't for the high ABV, I would. Will definitely cellar a few of these for another day.

09-24-2010 13:45:27 | More by paulys55
haazer

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Been waiting to try this one for awhile. Fairly excited to see what all the noise is about. Poured it into my pint glass.

A- Pours a very dark brown, caramel edges. Orange hues around the sides and throughout the beer. Pours a 2 finger thick beige, tan head. Refuses to go down easy. Leaves lacing down the sides.

S- One of if not the best smelling stout I've had. Very strong coffee and boozy scent dominates. Hints of chocolate, carmel, and very dark roasted malts.

T- Wow, very interesting stout. The list of flavors goes on and on. Coffee, chocolate, bread, HOPS(even somewhat citrusy), a slight hint of spicy alcohol, A malt baseball bat hits you in the throat as you transition the beer down. Then leaves a nutty aftertaste.

M- I didn't know what to expect with this. It felt light at first, but I ends up being medium to full bodied. Smooth. Becomes chewy and soft in the mouth.

D- I will get myself in trouble with this one. I could drink this, for awhile, but would hit the floor quickly. So flavorful and attractive. The high abv is dangerous though. God its hard to decide this one. IMO the taste outweighs the drinkability, but the abv is hard to ignore.

Verdict: I'd have to say I'm going to make this beer a mandatory case beer. Since it's seasonal and available now I will be getting one soon. Definitely lives up to its hype. The coffee aftertaste is phenomenal. If I were rich and didnt have to work, I would definitely drink this every morning for breakfast.

09-24-2010 01:58:24 | More by haazer
perrymarcus

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz bottle served in an oversized wineglass.

pours a luscious, borderline black tone with a finger, finger and half of a tan/mocha head; average retention, although some nice walls of lacing are evident.

robust, aromatic nose greets me way before i lean in for my first whiff. bold notes of coffee interplay with a strong chocolate presence, followed by roasted malt. one of those literally mouth-watering aromas.

taste follows the nose, replete with rich coffee and bittersweet chocolate flavors. here is where i pick up on some oatmeal, although it's subdued. slightly bitter finish. to be honest, i was prepared to be disappointed after all the hype that fueled the reputation of the FBS, but this is pretty damn delicious.

full, velvety mouthfeel; moderately carbed. very, very drinkable for an imperial stout.

09-23-2010 04:52:25 | More by perrymarcus
Lauthaha

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

What can I really say about this beer that hasn't already been said? :-P

Poured from a single-serving bottle into a half-liter piece of glassware.

Appearance: It pours the color and consistency of motor oil; while pouring, there is some visible brown but once the beer is in the glass, it's pitch black. Rich tan head leaves moderate-to-heavy lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Just like a mocha-latte. The coffee is heavy here, with chocolate and alcohol tying for second. It really seems like this should be a cup of coffee, not a beer! That being said, there are some faint hop aromas detectable within the onslaught of coffee/chocolate/malt.

Taste: Espresso beans soaked in malted barley and floral hops, drizzled with chocolate syrup. Totally full-flavor, nothing subtle about this. Perhaps a touch of berry and/or grape and/or plum flavor in here. Luckily, the flavor is well-rounded, and nothing supersedes anything else.

Mouthfeel: Very, very rich and full. The beer gently expands on the tongue, aided by mellow carbonation. As it does so, it reveals numerous flavors within. Goes down smoothly without resistance, and leaves behind a definite coffee feeling on the inside of the mouth.

Drinkability: I could easily drink one...every morning :-P

Amazing beer here. Could possibly beat my favorite, the Stone Imperial Russian Stout. Perhaps I'll have to pit the two against each other some day in a battle royale. Great job Founders!

09-23-2010 02:24:40 | More by Lauthaha
OWSLEY069

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours jet black with a light brown head. In the aroma, dry coffee. In the taste, coffee up front and a dry chocolate in the end. A smooth and medium to big bodied mouthfeel, with a dry coffee and small chocolate hint in the aftertaste. Rich flavor mellowed by coffee and hides the ABV quite well.

09-22-2010 19:36:47 | More by OWSLEY069
Chico1985

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Having my first Founders Breakfast Stout of the season with breakfast. Picked up 2 4-packs in NYC for $10.50 a piece, great deal. Bottle date is 8-27-10, fresh!

Pours black with a 2-finger tan head, very creamy and bubbly. A swirly cap eventually covers the top, leaves very nice lacing.

Excellent strong coffee and chocolate in the smell, notes of molasses and smoke. Truly breakfast-y.

Taste follows the nose very closely, an excellent marriage of coffee and chocolate, they're pretty evenly distributed but coffee gets the slight upper hand. Lots of molasses and oats. The slightest hints of smoke, grassy hops and warming alcohol. Sweetness is kept in check nicely with bitterness, never over the top. Truly shines in the taste/scent as it warms.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth rather than hefty and thick, works perfectly for this beer. Medium carbonation. Tastes linger long afterwords, very easy to drink for an imperial stout.

One of those beers that make me look forward to fall. A truly solid beer, perfect for the season, one of my favorites.

Note: After having a few more bottles this year, I have to say it is imperative that it be around room/cellar temperature when drinking, or at most slightly chilled. To me this is a whole different beer when cold, much more enjoyable when it's served on the warmer side.

09-22-2010 17:16:30 | More by Chico1985
glazeman

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

12 ounce bottle taken out of the fridge, allowed to warm for about 15 minutes and then poured into a snifter

A: This beer pours black in color with a ¼ finger cappuccino colored head. Actually there's barley any head at all, rather, this has a swirl of bubbles that collect around the edge of the glass. Only a tiny bit of lacing on this beer. The bubbles that did exist lasted for the duration of the drink.

S: Toasted malt, oatmeal, and a tiny bit of mocha. Overall a nice smelling beer, although the smells aren't quite as intense as in top notch stouts.

T: Pretty good flavor here. The taste is pretty in line with the smell, as there is a lot of toasted malt up front with some toffee as well. Toward the finish of the beer there is a little coffee and chocolate.

M: Probably the best aspect of the beer in my opinion. There's a wonderful viscosity, nice level of carbonation, and a great aftertaste in this beer. It really sits well on the palate.

D: I know this is a different base beer than KBS, but the two are indeed very similar. Overall, I like KBS better. Breakfast stout has more toasted malt in the flavor whearas KBS has more coffee. This beer reminds me of a vintage car. Probably one of the best of its time (when it first came out) and still pretty good, although no longer top of the line. I feel it's status in the top 10 is more of a historic level than current. Probably still worthy of the top 100 though and by no means bad. Definitely worth a try if you get the chance.

09-20-2010 19:47:28 | More by glazeman
socon67

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Waited a while to get this in NY to review. Poured into a snifter.

A - Jet black color, with a brownish foam and. slight lacing.

S - The coffee smell is clearly present, along with a sweet scent of chocolate.

T - The taste is very good. The balance between bitter and sweet is done very well.

M - It is very smooth for the style. Carbonation is low, and this is not a heavy stout.

D - Done well for the style to make this drinkable for an Imperial Stout.

A very good beer, and one to be sure to try. I think it does get a bit too much hype; it isn't *that* much better than others. Breakfast Stout is very enjoyable anyway.

09-20-2010 00:23:01 | More by socon67
Kshock

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

A- Jet black with a thin light tan head. decent lace on the glass, but little head retention.

S- An awesome blend of coffee and chocolate, not very heavy or over-barring, surprisingly mild.

T-Delicious!! Nice coffee/hop bitterness without hardly any residual bitterness. Sweet chocolates help balance this beer out.

M- Amazingly smooth texture, the light carbonation yields a velvety smoothness.

D- For a 8.3%? YES.

09-19-2010 22:04:16 | More by Kshock
Metuo

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A: Nice mocha head that lingers. The color of the beer itself is black as night, with no hints of any other colors.

S: Wonderful coffee smell, with chocolate, oats, and malt. There is also a nice sweetness that finishes the nose.

T: Rich, bitter coffe, dark and lucious. There is also dark chocolate, alcohol notes, and a nice smokey finish.

M: Velvety and perfectly carbonated.

D: Goes down easy enough and the ABV is not overly stated.

09-19-2010 20:56:53 | More by Metuo
STEG

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

After a vigorous pour into a ridel wine gass a fine bubbled tan head rose from the blackness.

Smells reminiscent of black coffee and oatmeal not much else, but overall not bad at all.

Taste is very coffee forward but you do get some oats chickory and a toch of sweet malt at the back

Mouthfeel could have been a bit thicker moderate to little carbonantion was what I was expecting and was nivcely executed.

Drinkability too coffee forward for me to overly sessioned but overall not bad, abv is well hidden

09-19-2010 01:34:04 | More by STEG
MrDanno96

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Pours pitch black with a thin ring of light tan head.

S: COFFEE! Some roasted malts and dark chocolate are in the background, but the nose is overwhelmingly full of coffee.

T: Be sure to let this warm for a while before drinking - it gets much better. As with the nose, coffee is dominant in the flavor. You could even say coffee with sweetener in it. A little oat comes through in the mid palate before a strong finish of slightly bitter, dark roast coffee. As the brew warms, notes of chocolate begin to emerge, providing nice balance and changing the overall flavor profile to more of a mocha.

M: Full bodied, but just barely. A little booze comes through in the finish.

D: A very enjoyable imperial stout. I think it wold be even better if it reigned in the huge coffee presence just a little. But very good nonetheless.

09-19-2010 00:57:55 | More by MrDanno96
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

I look forward to this brew coming out every September...The time has come in 2010. Wahoo!

A: Pours a thick, black oil that resembles nothing less than liquified coffee grounds. A small trail of bubbles for a head adds to the sight.

S: Coffee, coffee, COFFEE! Did I mention I smell coffee? Not of the Maxwell House variety, but something much, much more enticing. No chocolate, fruit, oatmeal, or anything like that has yet to poke it's sinister head.

T: Strong coffee taste at first, with the coffee spice staining the tongue with taste and just staying there for the duration of the session. The chocolate then makes an appearance, first texturally, then mixed into the coffee bean mayhem. This particular brand of chocolate really reminds me of Scharffen Berger dark chocolate.

M: Here is where the oatmeal make it's contribution. The texture of the beer is like a slick, slimy chocolate milk, with a little bit of rye-like aftertaste (oatmeal). The carbonation lightly sizzles the tongue. Sure the beer coats, but oh what a damn good coat!

D: As I'm sure the brewers at Founders would agree: This one is a sipper. Not just because the ABV is 8.3% (which I guess is not THAT bad), but because the beer is so flooded with taste, it's best enjoyed by savoring every drop. I'm not a big fan of coffee, but I love it in beer. This is one of the best of the best in that realm.

09-19-2010 00:34:50 | More by Chaney
thetomG

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Deep dark brown pour with a large layer of foamy brown head.

Aroma is baking chocolate, come coffee and nice roasty malts.

Flavor follows the aroma quite closely but with the malts and slight bitterness from the hops really making their presence felt.

I'd say its a little bit more carbonated and bubbly than I prefer - I think the mouthfeel could be better if it was just a bit more syrupy and thick, but as it stands, still excellent.

Potent flavors make this one a bit tough to drink more than one of, but considering the high ABV its very drinkable.

All in all a great beer - I would drink this anytime I'm looking for a nice big stout.

09-18-2010 22:21:20 | More by thetomG