Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,122
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
CaptainTripps

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle provided by Hopsbreath, poured into tulip stout glass

While I'm not horribly new to the micro beer world, this will be my first of many reviews! Let the journey begin!

A- Poured a beautiful black oil looking substance. Dark as the night! Very thin brown head, left nice lacing.

S- I felt as if I was actually about to take a sip of my morning coffee. Strong espresso notes as well as some roasted malts.

T- Favorite part of the beer. Hits your tongue in waves, very nice strong roasted coffee with a creamy chocolate finish. Excellent.

M- Pretty thick and creamy, was expecting from the look of it to be a little more thicker but all is well. Very smooth.

D- I find it amazing that this is 8.3%ABV, the alcohol is well hidden. Could drink this all night but I feel that the alcohol could creep up on you! One of my favorite stouts I have tasted (thus far). I am very glad I saved this to be my first review.

EDIT:
After coming back to this beer, i adjusted some of my scores to off set how i thought this beer compared to other Imperial Stouts. A very good beer worth trying still, but i have found love in different beers.

10-09-2010 05:09:29 | More by CaptainTripps
mwagner1018

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Pours a beautiful dark brown/black color, thick, rich, 2 plus fingers of creamy, frothy chocolaty head into a goblet. Spotted lacing down the glass, a head that lingers the entire time.

S- Coffee, chocolate, roasted malt.

T- Dark cocoa, bitter sweet dark chocolate, coffee, nice subtle lingering bitter finish that counteracts the big bold malty chocolaty goodness up front.

M- Thick and creamy, perfectly balanced, great depth of flavor. Drying bitter chocolate cocoa on the tongue on the finish, works very well.

D- Robust, yet not overpowering, the 8.30% ABV very nicely masked, good balance, nice clean bitterness to finish works great to balance out all that roasty, chocolaty malt up front...fantastic beer!

10-08-2010 03:35:26 | More by mwagner1018
bigdonniebrasco

Kansas

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours out a dark black into my snifter with a very thin brown head that disappeared quickly. A bit more of a head would have been nice, but that's my only real quarrel with this beer.

Smell is a wall of roasted espresso in your nose. Seriously, it smells like putting your nose over a pot of coffee. There's some burnt and roasted malts in there as well, but the coffee dominates.

Hits the tongue with a thick and full mouthfeel that is full of, among other things, espresso, dark baking chocolate, and roasted malt. It's certainly a huge flavor, and it comes in waves, with the espresso dominating on the front end, but the chocolate really pulling through in the finish and lingering for quite some time.

Wow, this is ridiculously drinkable for a stout of its ABV. I immediately wanted to drink a second one.

10-08-2010 01:53:04 | More by bigdonniebrasco
ZX6Chris

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

A-Black as night with a brown head that fades quickly and leaves some nice lacing.

S-Black coffee, chocolate. Not as big as I thought it would have been.

T-Big roasted coffee flavors, bittersweet chocolate. Dry finish.

M-Full bodied, great carbonation. Velvety smooth.

D-Just amazing. Nice mix of flavors, alcohol and with that mouthfeel I just want more!

10-07-2010 23:35:47 | More by ZX6Chris
kbutler1

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. I don't think even Superman could see through this stuff! You basically just see your reflection in the glass. Darkest brown/black. Head is a deep brown turning to lighter as it settles down Straight bittersweet chocolate smell, followed by bourbon, coffee, and alcohol. I keep reading complex from others but for me it really is just the chocolate, bourbon, and coffee I taste. Very pleasant though! Taste lingers in the mouth for a long time. Not as heavy mouthfeel as I would have expected. I liked it though.

10-07-2010 17:49:28 | More by kbutler1
Lazerlobe

Washington

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Midnight black with a good measure of burnt mocha head.

S: Black coffee, faded chocolate,

T: Sweet coffee and drizzled chocolate with minimal bitterness. Some hops come through on the end but the coffee is perfect.

M: Not chewy but still viscous.

D: I want to drink this all night. It is amazing how sippable this really is.

10-06-2010 23:21:08 | More by Lazerlobe
gtn80

Maine

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip stout glass.

Appearance is great, big fluffy mocha head that just sits on top like whipped cream. Lasted the entire glass.

Aroma was surprisingly not that strong, but there is roasted grains and chocolate, I am surprised to not get more coffee.

Taste is great. Big roasty/coffee flavor up front, dry chocolate in the middle and finish. Doesn't have that mouth puckering roastiness of some big stouts, but does finish very dry and balanced.

Mouthfeel is creamy, good carbonation for a stout. Velvety, full bodied mouthfeel.

Drinkability is amazing for a 8.3% stout. Due to the balance in the finish, I definitely could have more than one. Nice and chocolately, not a huge aftertaste, clean for a stout.

10-06-2010 23:13:15 | More by gtn80
Homebrew35

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a nice mocha colored 2 finger head that lasts quite long then fades to a nice fluffy cap. The body is dark roasty black colored. Smell is just like coco nibs and some dark chocolate then roasty coffee beans. Tastes of coffee and oats with a dry coco roasted finish. I enjoyed this from top to bottom. Full bodied with medium carbonation. I could drink only a few of these at a time but all winter long. Nice job Founders. Now I need to try KBS.

10-05-2010 17:54:36 | More by Homebrew35
rembrant

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Pour- black opaque. 1 finger head,not real dense or frothy and fading. leaves film and some lacing.

Aroma Mostly coffee. some malts but I have a cold this week and maybe I'm missing something.

Taste leads with coffee,dark roast,a bit of bittersweet chocolate,some balancing hops. i may need to let this warm a bit to bring up the flavors.
Tastes very good but i think I expected more. the coffee somewhat dominates relative to KBS where many things were balanced,so I got a LOT of complexity. Here,the complexity,what there may be,is largely hidden by a big coffee effect. Sort of like a cold espresso and an Oatmeal Stout mixed 50-50.

Mouth Looks like it should be thicker,more viscous. Not bad but a notch thinner than I expect from a big Stout. The finish is a well done blend of coffee and hop bitter There's an elegant smoothness but not the "wow" factor I expected from a beer with this reputation....and price range.

Drinkable Yes, more than I expected. It's a bit "wetter" less sweet than KBS and while there's a notable ABV,it is hidden.
I'm a coffee guy and that's a + here but in this price range I want more complexity or more punch/robustness. Good stuff but not a top of the heap Stout...not quite.

Gotta love that label though...

10-05-2010 16:42:49 | More by rembrant
LikaThaHops

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into snifter, served at 55 degrees F.

A- Jet black body with an ample, thick frothy/bubbly chocolate brown head, about 2 inches tall. Gradually, it faded into a light head and then just lace. Light carbonation.

S- Smelled strong of coffee with hints of chocolate and a light alcohol after smell.

T- The taste was exactly what I had hoped for, it smells like it looks. Amazing. Coffee with chocolate is all I can say.

M- Swirling it around in the mouth, its not too heavy, not too light. A little carbonation. it feels like coffee!

D- The drinkability of this fine brew is almost scary. I could sit and drink this particular brew all winter long, and if my local suppliers could keep it stocked, I would.

10-05-2010 03:22:53 | More by LikaThaHops
DrDemento456

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

World class beer finally ticked! Found this at my local bottle shop for only 4.25 a serving. Buy a four pack for only 15 bucks. Not all all a bad price for perfection!

A - Poured from the bottle into my goblet so I can get a good smell. Looks thick and viscous with no light escaping it looks like a nice blacked imperial stout but ow snap! It's a oatmeal stout! Curious I take a whiff.

S - Well nothing off putting here. Smells of some great quality coffee. Mostly malty. Slight sweetness. Smell a bit nutty.

T - Not as Wow as I expected it to be "hype train?" Anyway not negative in anyway. You get a solid stout consisting of strong roasted coffee that doesn't bring much bitterness but making it smooth and enjoyable and mild chocolate sort of cocoa like. Nothing more or less but lovely.

M - Even though it 8 percent it is surprisingly drinkable. Yet a sipper you would enjoy.

D - Yeah I will pick up another four pack. Founders has always been good to me and I appreciate the effort they put into beers and a nice price tag to boot makes this one beer thats a must for my fridge.

10-05-2010 02:19:45 | More by DrDemento456
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Ink black body, mocha head.

Rich chocolate, vanilla and plumb aromas.

Layer after layer of epic stout flavor. Roasted espresso, dark chocolate, vanilla, molassas, brown sugar, prunes, raisins. Dark malty goodness. Bitter chocolate clings to my palate.

Creamy, syrupy, velvety body.

Worth the wait and the rep. Easliy one of the best stouts on earth.

10-03-2010 23:42:57 | More by BradLikesBrew
TheSarge

4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours pitch black with a choclolate looking foamy head, with great retention. The body is blacks as hell with no hues showing through.

The aroma's roasty with coffee upfront, and slight hints of metallic hops.

Rich with flavor. Lots of coffee, dark chocolate. Oily slickness and warming to the palate with a fair amount of carbonation. I'd love to try this one off a nitro tap if available.

10-03-2010 21:51:59 | More by TheSarge
SkunkWorks

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. As a side note, I had this with breakfast for extra fun.

Look: very black with no highlights even when held up to the light. There's almost no head at all but what little head it has is a deep brown. There's some lacing but not all that much.

Smell: roasted grains and a big coffee scent is what I get. Smells like a good cup of coffee, living up to the name.

Taste: coffee and bittersweet chocolate are the two tastes I get the most. Very delicious. Tastes like a cup of coffee. There's no alcohol taste at all and its generally just very pleasant to drink. Not challenging in any way.

Feel: fairly thin for a double stout. I think if anything is a weak point of the beer it would be this. Its on the thin side of medium bodied. There's no bitterness at all present so I'm surprised to see it at 60IBU.

Drink: very, very high. If I hadn't intentionally paced myself I would've finished my glass very quickly. Its very easy to drink and could definitely be sessioned if you wanted to go that route. This is especially true in light of the alcohol content.

Overall, I dunno if this beer is worthy of a top 10 spot but it certainly deserves to be up there somewhere. This is one of the better stouts I've had and I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'll be having again. Good job, Founders!

10-03-2010 12:24:37 | More by SkunkWorks
Pballa4lyfe

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

A- great appearance, dark, small head

S- smelled good, a whiff of oatmeal and coffee

T- the coffee flavor really jumps out at you..i'm not a huge coffee fan, but this was the majority of the taste

M- good mouth feel, heavy, strong but clean finish

D- good beer, filling, strong, hides the abv well

Overall- a great stout...one of my favorite stouts i've ever tasted...probably would only be good with 2 of these in a night before i had to switch to something else...a great beer..but not top 10 worthy

10-02-2010 05:51:56 | More by Pballa4lyfe
sixthglass

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A - Dark and beautiful. Dark brown 1 finger head. Nice lacing. Poured into a snifter.

S- Smokey, Roasty, Coffee, and coco.

T- Smokey, coco, and big coffee finish, Just a perfect balance of flavor.

M- Great coating, a great thickness to the beer.

D- This is a great beer for everyday drinking.

10-02-2010 02:22:26 | More by sixthglass
mfunk9786

This is almost as good, if not better, than Kentucky Breakfast Stout. The fact that it's easier to find and about half the price, well... that seals the deal in making this Founders' best beer, period.

A: Completely opaque, pitch black. There's about a finger of chocolate mousse head that laces nearly as nicely as a sticky IPA throughout. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Doesn't get any better than this.

S: The oatmeal character is immediately noticeable in the form of a roasty grain aroma, and the finish is a big-time coffee punch. Chocolate is definitely there but it doesn't assert itself (as it shouldn't). Smelling this beer is one of its joys - it really does live up to its name. I could easily see waking up from a particularly nice weekend sleep to a glass of this and a grand slam breakfast.

T: Tastes absolutely delicious. Bittersweet chocolate, gourmet coffee, and roasty, toasty oatmeal. It's not missing anything. The mouthfeel is appropriately thick and tongue-coating. There's nothing about this beer that is remotely compromising, and for a beer that's less than 8.5% alcohol, it is remarkably full-bodied. Absolutely lives up to its delicious name and intriguing label. Founders should always consider this to be its flagship beer and should never take it for granted, it's all right there in the taste.

M: The mouthfeel is thick, the thing that a lot of rookie beer drinkers complain about when it comes to dark beer. Each of those people should be handed a glass of this - I'd like to hear someone's explanation as to why this should be any thinner than it is - it's got a lot of body to jive with a lot of flavor and a lot of character.

D: I would dock this beer for being so BIG, but if price and self-esteem weren't an issue, I could easily down about six of these a day. This is how Slim Fast should taste. It's the sort of thing that feels like a meal in and of itself, that completely defies logic when you remind yourself that it's still beer.

Another perfect beer from Founders. Still holding out hope that I'll be able to try Canadian Breakfast Stout one day.

10-02-2010 00:26:44 | More by mfunk9786
Onenote81

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Had this beer on-tap at Duckworth's in Charlotte on 9/22/10. Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a tall stemmed-glass. Very thick dark black, with a finger-width mocha colored head on top. Decent globby lacing left behind. The nose was roasted with notes of chocolate powder, coffee, light booze, oatmeal.

Spectacular melding of sweet chocolate and cold coffee. The oats smooth this out. Light hop bitterness on the back end. Excellent mouthfeel. Coats the mouth and palate so thoroughly. Drinkability was extremely high, even given the ABV%. This was such a treat to drink, I happily finished the glass, and would have had another, had I not had to drive back to my hotel later. Amazing beer.

10-01-2010 12:30:23 | More by Onenote81
dubinsky

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into my cognac snifter.

A- Pours pitch black with a 1 finger toffee, caramel colored head. Very viscous pouring out of the bottle. Beautiful swirl on the cap eventually covers the top, leaving very nice lacing.

S - Makes me immediately think of summer camp as a little kid, the smells from the campfire and s'mores. Strong smoke and dark chocolate in the smell, with a hint of molasses. A tiny hint of alcohol esters emanate if i breathe in really deeply.

T - Wow! The taste follows the smell very closely. Smokey and chocolaty. Excellent blend of coffee as well in the flavor. This is close to what i remember the KBS to be like, but less complex in my opinion. Lots of molasses and oats. Sweetness is offset with the right dose of bitterness.

M - Mouthfeel doesn't follow the pour. Rather it's silky and really smooth. Not as heavy and thick as i expected it to be. Light to medium carbonation. Great warming effect.

D - Very easy to drink for a beer with this high an ABV. Founders, you did it again. Cant wait to enjoy it again soon. Just wish it was more readily available to me in California.

09-30-2010 03:59:49 | More by dubinsky
mynameisbuzz

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a deep, tar black, with a healthy brown head. Good lacing on the glass as well.

Smells like chocolate covered oatmeal with a hot coffee.

Great balance for a stout. Real heavy with tastes of chocolate and coffee dominating. Ends with an acidic hop bite, which was surprising and welcomed.

Real thick feel in the mouth and the oatmeal presence is most felt in the mouthfeel.

Overall, one of the most drinkable imperial stouts I've ever had. Great job again by Founders.

09-30-2010 00:04:54 | More by mynameisbuzz
MrIncognito

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Deep, dark brown but basically black. Looks just like really old engine oil. Hardly any head to speak of and I poured this relatively sturdy. Very tiny tan cap for a head that subsides quickly but leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S - Coffee and sugary sweetness that almost comes off as maple syrup. A bit of dark chocolate as it warms up a bit. Nice touch of alcohol in the aroma provides a little spice and heat.

T&M - Very strong dark roasted coffee with bittersweet chocolate for sweetness. Alcohol is evident in a warming way and adds a nice bite. Great flavors going on this beer and it's quite complex. Robust, sweet, and lightly bitter all at the sae time. Thick mouthfeel which you'd expect from the engine oil-like appearance.

D - A great sipper for a rainy evening but I don't think I could do more than one due to the alcohol.

09-29-2010 16:39:00 | More by MrIncognito
JLeege

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Fresh batch, Bottle into a snifter.

Appearance- Pour is jet black, lifting to the light no other colors enter this. Small tan head. Very good lacing.

Smell- There is a lot going on here. Dark chocolate and coffee immediatly hit the nose. Some smokeyness as well.

Taste- Sweet up front with a bitter finish, not a hoppy bitter but the coffee bitter. Chocolate is deffinitly there but not overly sweet. Roasted malts and oats. A hint of vanilla and also some cocoa powder. A ton of flavor, yet not cloying at all! Better yet, no alcohol!

Mouthfeel- low carbonation, thick, and chewy, SMOOTH going down. Perfect!!! Founders does it again!

Overall- I dont know why I have passed on this for so long. For an imperial stout, this has exceptional drinkability. Deffintly getting my hands on as much of this as I can. I feel some beers are over-hyped, this is not.

09-29-2010 04:09:57 | More by JLeege
Spiekerbox

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

A- DARK brown-black with a small chocolate colored head that dissipates quickly. During the pour the beer looks thick.

S- Lots of coffee with a bit of roasted malt and a hint of chocolate.

T- Wow, first though is complex but in a perfectly balanced way. Coffee, chocolate, burnt malt, cream, vanilla, and even some hop character comes out in this, never have had this big of a beer with so many different, noticeable flavors before

M- BIG, but smooth with a light amount of carbonation. Creamy in the mouth and goes down easily while coating everything on the way with all of its goodness

D- Well this beer is definitely what is is made out to be, its a great brew from a great brewery. Would love to have one of these every day when i get home to just relax with, too bad I only have this one....for now

09-29-2010 03:09:53 | More by Spiekerbox
jpro

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Review #100!! Hooray! Here goes...

Poured from the bottle into a large Brooklyn tulip...

A: Pours an opaque, glossy black / brown; thick; there's about a half-finger of brown head on this one that dissipates quickly to a thin ring of foam with some intermittent hazy patches floating around the surface; a few thin strands of lace adorn the glass as this one is imbibed.

S: Rich coffee aroma; roasted, perhaps charred, malt; chocolate; also, that bit of character that's indicative of an oatmeal stout.

T: Mmmm... complex roasted malt flavor... coffee, dark chocolate; some sweet, even darker cocoa and maybe a touch of molasses in the finish; a nice hop bitterness that is quite noticeable, yet not overpowering or in your face - nice; some espresso towards the finish, too.

M: Full-bodied and silky smooth; chewy; this has such a great, velvety mouthfeel... unmatched!

D: Very drinkable for an 8.3% stout; delicious and highly enjoyable from start to finish.

This one ranks as one of my favorite stouts (and beers in general, for that matter). A rich aroma, lots of complexity in the taste and a superb mouthfeel = great, great beer!

09-29-2010 02:04:36 | More by jpro
Mooch273

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Dark, as if someone poured a quart of crude oil in my snifter. Tan colored head that dissipates quickly, leaving a slick of fine, minute bubbles on the surface.

A: Coffee, dark chocolate, very roasty and nutty. Can't wait for a drink.

T: Roasted coffee, dark bitter chocolate, roasted almonds. Absolutely delicious.

M: Thick yet smooth due to minute carbonation bubbles. Mild dryness after each sip.

D: Excellent drinkable beer. I could easily have a couple at a sitting. Great beer to stay warm with on a cool night, although I wouldn't mind adding this to my morning Cheerios. This one lives up to the hype.

09-28-2010 04:13:23 | More by Mooch273