Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,160
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Coffee, and chocolate, and oats, oh my.

Been wanting to try this for quite some time now. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Thanks to my son for bringing home from college.

A-Pours black with a one finger, creamy tan head with only modest retention and lacing. This may be the darkest beer I have ever seen. Look's menacing, as does the bottle's label.

S-Imported bittersweet chocolate, coffee beans (Sumatra and Kona per the website - two of my favorites), and a faint but welcome hint of booze. This is wonderful.

T-Coffee. Coffee and bittersweet chocolate. More coffee with just the right measure of bitterness from the hops and sweetness from the malt bill. Enough coffee that I believe there should be a separate style. As an IS this is very good. As a coffee stout, this is amazing. I think I could drink this in the morning.

M-Exceedingly smooth with a full, luxuriant body perfected by the oats present in the mash. Very nice for a smaller IS at 8.3% ABV.

D-I liked this very much, and it is the most drinkable imperial stout I have enjoyed. I commend the brewery for bottling these in 12 ounces. I wish it were available in the PNW. If it were it would be consumed with great frequency, at least by me.

velosuds, Dec 22, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

I took this out of the fridge about 15 minutes before opening it. I'm going to spend quite some time with it and write the review as I do.

Appearance: Pours matte black. I can't hold the glass to the light at any angle to see burgundy or brown or anything. Initially a good two-finger cocoa-colored head that slowly fades to a frothy film that remains for quite some time and ensure the beer looks just as appetizing as time goes by. The head leaves partial rings of lace that slowly disappear. If you look down into the glass as you drink it, and watch it slowly wave back and forth, you can see how full-bodied it is. I tried this after nearly an hour, so that thin film of head was finally gone, and it looked like sludge. Dirty oil. But in a completely appealing way.

Smell: What can I say? The beer is dark chocolate all the way. Very dark. I can barely smell something like alcohol throughout--I want to actually say I can smell the warmth of the alcohol. A bit of roast coffee beans too.

Taste: Tastes like it smells: dark chocolate. A bit of black coffee, too. A bit more bitter than "moderately bitter." It doesn't taste like alcohol at all but it leaves the tongue warm as a reminder of the heat this thing is packin'. The beer sweetens up a bit as it warms. We're not progressing into milk chocolate territory here by a long shot, but we're out of the 90% cacao range. Maybe 70 or 80. I've seen some reviews that get super complex with the taste of this beer, but all I can detect is dark chocolate. I suppose dark chocolate, real good dark chocolate, is itself kind of complex, so I guess that's it. The beer definitely tastes its best at room temperature, when it's at the perfect balance of bitter and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick, but a bit creamy. Usually velvet smooth, but sometimes slightly rough from the alcohol warming the tongue. Then it does get thicker as it gets near room temperature, and even creamier.

Drinkability: Velvet smooth. Dark chocolate. Creamy. You tell me. The only drawback I can imagine is the warmth of this thing. If you don't want to be superwarm, you might stop at one.

TheKtulu7, Dec 22, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a very deep (black hole) dark black with a two finger cappuccino head that dissipated into a ring with thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma of dark coffee, roasted malt and hints of chocolate.

Taste followed the nose with a very nice dark black coffee, roasted slightly burnt malt with a slight sweetness of milk chocolate.

This is a nice thick, creamy smooth heavy body beer with little carbonation. There is a very slight warming from the alcohol, not much for the 8.30% abv.

I could easily replace my morning Starbucks with this beer. Very nice beer, I'm happy that I have a few more to enjoy over Christmas. Great job Founders.

dtivp, Dec 21, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Jet black. Large, thick, mocha colored head with little lacing. The head has great retention and sticks around for the whole beer.

S: Dark chocolate, fresh roasted coffee beans. Leafy hop spice is present. As it warms I am geeting more of the booze, but its welcome. Wow, so much going on here! The aromas are so strong.

T: Beautiful sweet burnt sugar up front followed by the extremely dry and bitter dark chocolate and coffee/espresso. The bitterness hit on the back of the tongue while the alcohol and hops hit the gums and cheeks. Again, so much going on. I'm tasting and feeling something different with every sip.

M: Very little carbonation. Thick, syrup like consistency. Extremely dry and leaves the mouth tingeling everywhere. The combonation of the hops and bitterness from the coffee and chocolate flavors are making my mouth pucker, I LIKE IT!

D: WOW! unbelievable. This is one of the most complex beers i've ever had. So much going on in each sip its hard to stop. I wish i got more than 4 in a pack. I would definately purchase again.

rrski198, Dec 21, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Very dark black, no highlights. Try to shine my 100 lumen LED through it reveals that it absorbs light, and is made of dark matter. Head is dark khaki in color.

S - Roast, coffee, brown sugar, and dark fruits.

T - First thing I get is malt, then followed by some strong roast coffee flavors. Great!

M - Full to very full, not much CO2 to speak of. Lingering roast astringency, but very nice

D - Almost too drinkable for a stout. So very tasty.

enfield249, Dec 19, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -8.6%

A- Deep, dark, solid black motor oil with a medium cappachino colored head with nice rings of sea foam lace. Almost a five, but would like a creamier head.

S- Strong, bold black coffee, hints of cocoa in the back. Something boozy in the back too, but faint. Very good smell.

T- Bold and aggressive quality coffee. Initially its just iced coffee, but as it warms you find the subtle hints of bitter cocoa, and roasted malts. For what they tried to do they did it spot on. As a chocolate lover I'd like a bit more of that profile to come out instead of having to hunt for it.

M- Thick and creamy. The oatmeal adds a great body to this. A little warm, but very well masked on the alcohol.

D- If you love coffee and stouts you will love this one. If you can drink bold, strong coffee then this will be heaven. Its very easy to drink. Its a sipper though.

JayS2629, Dec 18, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured into snifter. Pours a jet black with a nice creamy looking cappuccino head that leaves a lot of lacing and retains for a good while.

S - You can actually smell both the coffees in this brew. They used big, full bodied coffees and they smell great when combined with the roasted malts and chocolate. I smell a slight bit of sherry in the mix too.

T - Big on coffee and even if you aren't a coffee lover it's a pleasant flavor with roasted malts and rich chocolate that isn't off putting at all. Beautiful twang with a noticeable but not overpowering hop presence, the taste even stimulates what seems like every taste bud on your tongue.

M - The addition of oatmeal here makes this beer incredibly smooth and creamy. This is the perfect mouthfeel in a stout in my opinion and not many others do it right but Founders nails it.

D - This beer is very good but also very filling. Despite a slight bit of the warmth you wouldn't even know this had alcohol in it. It's an excellently crafted brew and i'll be drinking another with Christmas breakfast next week.

dfclav, Dec 18, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a midnight black with very little head, but some lacing is left.

Nose is strong coffee, chocolate, roasted malts.

Taste is coffee, chocolate, some sweet malts and some bitterness on the way down. Nice and smooth, this is one tasty beer.

A very drinkable beer, even considering the ABV, which is well masked.

FLBeerGuy, Dec 18, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from bottle with a Nov. 11, 2010 date.

A: Poured aggressively in to a New Belgium snifter creating a 1+ finger head which dissipated quickly. Black with a surviving caramel colored lace.

S: Fresh coffee grounds, some dark chocolate, roasted malts.

T: Initially it's iced coffee with a touch of sweetness. It finishes with smooth, dry, dark chocolate and a rising bitterness.

M: Nicely carbonated which carries the goodness throughout the palate.

D: This a superb beer for drinking one...or four. I will surely pick some more up next time I'm in an area of distribution.

kiddwhiz, Dec 18, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured from bottle - No best by date available.

Poured a used motor oil black with one finger head that dissipated quickly leaving a thin tan lacing, decent carbonation.

Smell - Chocolate , roasted malts and coffee.

Taste - The Coffee comes to the fore front with mild chocolate hints , nice aftertaste with a clean finish .

Drinkability - Considering it's 8.3%abv this is one drinkable , smooth stout - well balanced and blended.

I'll be buying more in the future.

InebriatedJoker, Dec 18, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

I had this beer in my cellar for quit a while but with the tasting session we had last sunday it was time to crack this bottle open.

I am not really a stout lover but this top ten beer has to be tried by me!

The beers gives a good feel, chocolate and coffee. With the blackness of the fluid the view is nice. This is a real sipping beer.

Brabander, Dec 17, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8%

On tap at Duckworth's in Charlotte.

A - Black as black can be. Nice big coffee colored head with plenty of sticky lacing.

S - Huge smell of chocolate and coffee. Just enough sweetness in the nose.

T - Milk chocolately goodness taste. Robust coffee flavored as well. Just a tad bit bitter which makes this perfect. Finished nice and warm.

M - Full bodied with a nice coating feel in the emouth.

D - This is a damn smooth beer. Its drinkability is great. Take it nice and slow and enjoy every sip.

GallowsThief, Dec 16, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to Tieman for sharing this! Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized snifter. Short pour, so not much head, some decent lacing though. Looks like coffee mixed with cherry coke. LOTS of roasted coffee on the nose. Burnt coffee grounds even. But in a good way. Light chocolate and some roasted malt. A light caramel sweetness is the first taste to hit my tongue and then a blast of lower cacao dark chocolate. Really rich roasty burnt toasty coffee. Flavor to spare. Mouthfeel is really thin for all the flavor and scent. Almost could knock out a whole 6 pack of this though I think. Dangerous! Great stuff.

WestValleyIPA, Dec 16, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2%

Acquired via trade with arvjunk. Thanks man!

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. No bottled on date to be found.

A-Pours black with a 1/2" mocha colored head that has good retention and leaves wisps of lace as you drink.

S-Coffee/espresso is most prominent along with roasted malt and dark chocolate.

T-Semi sweet chocolate followed by a strong coffee kick. Hints of leafy/earthy hops sneak in, but they are understated (in a good way) as more a complement to the coffee, chocolate and malt. Some roasted malt comes in the middle and finish, but the finish is dominated by a bitter coffee bite (not a bad thing).

M-Full bodied, slick, creamy. The carb is a tad stinging and could be a touch lower for my tastes.

D-A bold beer that announces its presence with an assault on your palate but still remains very drinkable because its so darn good.

This was my first FBS. I sure am glad I have a few more to savor. I'll be really curious to see what happens with some age.

Overall, a great job by Founders.

Lerxst, Dec 16, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance- poured a dark black into a snifter with about a half finger of tan head that quickly dissipates and leaves a thin layer and good lacing

Smell- smells of roasty chocolate malt, coffee, oatmeal

Taste- first a slighty sweet bitter coffee which quickly turned to smooth chocolate that just coated the lips and inside of my mouth and lingered for a while

Mouthfeel- creamy and smooth like chocolate milk with slight tinge of carbonation coming through

Drinkability- wow. This is a good one. Normally I can't drink too many stouts in a sitting but this one I could go back to a few times in one sitting and at 8.3 % the alcohol is very well masked

Overall- Great beer worth the hype...love the chocolate and coffee notes

myatomicpolygon, Dec 15, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8%

A: Pitch black pour with a massive mocha colored head. Beautiful. Head slowly disappears, wish it would stick around a bit longer. Not much lacing.

S: Coffee and espresso in the beginning. Milk chocolate rounds out the smell.

T: Very rich flavor. Chocolate, coffee and espresso beans. Coffee is very full bodied with is exacly how I like my coffee. Slight bitterness.

With each sip you realize that no one flavor outshines the other, they all blend together perfectly.

M: Med to full body. Nice dry finish. Very creamy. Great carbonation.

D: Amazing. I could drink a case of this. It goes down just so darn smooth. Excellent price point for such a good beer.

Overall, just a great beer. This is the beer that really got me into coffee stouts. Even with all the other ones I have tried over the years, I would gladly drink this over and over again in a heart beat.

sugit, Dec 15, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From notes reviewed on 12/5/10:
12oz bottle poured into a Duvel glass
bottled on 11/5/10

A: Pours pitch black, completely opaque, 1/2 inch brown frothy head that disappears quickly. Leaves a little lacing. Looks like motor oil!

S: Espresso, coffee, and chocolate come through strong on the nose, along with the oats behind them. Alcohol is noticeable but not obtrusive. Dark roasted malt mixes with the oats, hop presence is pretty strong (only a month old).

T: The first thing to hit the tongue seems to be strong bittersweet chocolate, espresso, and coffee (like a blend of medium roast drip brew and espresso). It then runs smoothly to the oats, rich caramel sweetness, and a nice helping of bright, somewhat spicy hops. Alcohol is noticeable but well blended in the oat flavor. Everything blends together perfectly to form and incredibly complex and balanced beer. Finishes dry and warm.

M: Very full body, quite viscous, really crisp medium carbonation that leads perfectly into the rounded out melody of flavors. Chewy and sticky, bone dry finish that warms. The finish reminds me of a cabernet.

D: Alcohol hits right about where I'd expect, but I can't put the glass down.

Satchboogie, Dec 14, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours an absolutely pitch black as expected and a nice mokah colored creamy head which unfortunately did not last as long as I would have liked.

Aroma is outstanding, permeating the entire area around me at first. Coffee is upfront with just the right amount of wonderful roasted aromas. The chocolate also comes through with a nice sweet aroma but it is mostly overpowered by the coffee

After an outstanding aroma, the taste was almost disappointing at first. However, as it warms a bit, it opens up more. Aptly named Breakfast Stout, with all this coffee and unlike some other coffee stouts, the coffee seems to be the right blend in the recipe. Not a bitter burnt coffee flavor, but a nice java-lovers flavor.

Plenty of body to carry this much flavor without being to alcoholic. Overall, this beer deserves just about all the praise it gets.

Kinsman, Dec 14, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into standard pint glass. Bought from Abe's 6-pack of Bethlehem, PA.

A- Dark and opaque like motor oil. A dark thin tan head similar to espresso crema in color.

S- Coffee, dark roasted barley

T- Very good coffee and dark toffee notes from the barley. Bittersweet chocolate undertones. The earthy characteristics of the Sumatran coffee beans really shine through into this balanced stout.

M- Perfect carbonation. Very balanced with a near-perfect astringency that begs for another sip

D- Very good beer and I could drink these all night long. My favorite non-beer beverage is black coffee... and this satisfies not only my beer cravings but also my coffee cravings.

This is an ace shot... and since we're in PA I could see myself buying a whole case or two!

TheSupremeAJ, Dec 12, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black and viscous with a hint of tan head that fades into a thin ring.

Smells strongly of coffee with malty undertones and a hint of chocolate sweetness

Taste mirrors the smell - massive coffee taste, yet finishes incredibly smooth, creamy and malty. The coffee carries through, but there is no additional bitterness.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Thick, but not syrupy, incredibly creamy, nicely carbonated.

Perfect Sunday morning/afternoon football beverage.

readbaron, Dec 12, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

64 oz. Growler into a English nonic.

Whoa! Pours Black Sabbath black, firm and syrupy with little head that forms slowly. Minimal froth is espresso red/brown with little carbonation. Very subtle dark ruby ring at the crown. Smell of rich dark coffee, malt and some smoke.

Coffee bitterness and chocolate with a really nice bite on first sip, Sumatra/Kona combo makes for a real robust flavor without much lingering bitter in the aftertaste... but the second pour is off the charts! Once the buds adjust the bite gives way to a smooth creaminess that makes this puppy extremely drinkable.

Lots o' muscle. Brings me back to my old Brooklyn days of a Manhattan Special without the extreme bitterness and carbonation. The two growlers I scored from Joe Canals Woodbridge NJ was a gift from the beer gods. Lashed it back while groovin' the Macpodz! Real good stuff coming out of Michigan!! One of my knock 'em out most favorite beers to date.

MuddyMcGinny, Dec 12, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours like old engine oil, and not the beer, real engine oil from a car that's way past due on an oil change. It's a thick creamy black, with a slight brown foam. Really no carbonation to speak of. Really dense, while on the topic of engine oil, it would fail the air filter test; hold it up to light and you cannot see through it. So to me, it's a very appealing looking beer!

First wiff from the bottle before I poured was awesome. After pouring and it mixed with more air, it's really more average for good stout. It does have a certain uniqueness that's opened up once in the glass. I can't put my finger on it, but it's intriguing.

Taste is better than average for a stout, but not up to they hype. I read about this beer here on BA, and got really excited when I found it locally. I mean it is good, but not as special as it sounded.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and balanced. Very pleasant. Not the best, but better than most.

This beer has reasonable drinkability. Better than average definitely, but it's not cheap (not expensive either). It's good enough to off set the price, but like all stronger stouts the weather needs to be on your side. Somehow a good lager is good in the cold or the hot, but a stout is really only good in the cold (at least for a "session").

I do not regret buying the beer at all, and I probably would have given it higher marks if I hadn't developed a preconceived notion based on the hype.

birdyone, Dec 11, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

A- pours the typical stout black. a nice frothy head which is a dark tannish color. looks like it could be in a commercial.

S- just some roasted malt blended perfectly with some chocolate. really nice.

T- just how it smells but with a weird creamy taste (hard to explain). the alcohol is just a tad bit noticable but for 8.3abv what would you expect? the coffee makes more of an appearence as an aftertaste but very lightly.

M- solid medium bodied. good carbonation. really silky (prolly from the oats).

D- this should be a year around brew!

Overall- i can't believe this is the first time i've finally had this brew. it really holds up to its reputation. this stout alone should be up there with the best stouts of america. appreciate it while it's here!

claminat420, Dec 11, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

102nd review on BA
Bottle to Pint

12 oz bottle.

App- Its dark and viscous and did I mention dark? Great looking stout in the glass with a minimal head on it but wonderful to look at.

Smell- Big chocolate and malt. It for me was like smelling a dark choclate bar upwards of the dark 70% variety with some coffee mixed in.

Taste- You get this roast sensation but its capped off with a chocolate sweetness that plays with the tastebuds and makes them stand up and dance for more.

Mouth- Its very full and a bit chewy but that was to be expected.

Drink- Hand's down best stout I have had. (Ill probably change my mind today or tomorrow when I have the KBS)

FosterJM, Dec 11, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Update- last few bottles were overwhelmed by the coffee so I'm notching the taste dow to 4 from 4.5

Reviewed 9/17/09

Deep brown body, insignificant head, some dark brown lacing
L: 3.5/5

Strong coffee with a little stout sweetness
S: 4/5

Bitter...more like unsweetened chocolate. Some sweetness shows up to the chocolate party as it warms. The coffee is there, but different than smell. There is some vanilla and lingering bitterness
T: 4.5/5

Medium bodied, right on expectation for the style. Feels good: not much alcohol, good carbonation
M: 4.5/5

Very drinkable, but still a slow sipper. I could have a couple of these - nothing stops me from coming back, I just want to savor the flavor
D: 4/5