Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,129
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
StoutHunter

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

Well i finally made it to my 50th review, so i decided to pull out something special from the fridge to celebrate with. Picked up a 4 pack of this last week, so lets see if it lives up to its #8 in the world hype. Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer pours a thick pitch black with a fingers worth of head that turned into a small bubbly ring that stayed till the end. Looks like used motor oil.

S- This beer smells exactly like a cup of cold black coffee with a little bit of chocolate lingering in the background.

T- Wow, this brew is truly the beer equivalent of coffee. Coffee steals the show in this brew but it isn't overpowering and is balanced well with the base oatmeal stout flavor and the bitter chocolate presence on the finish. One of the best balanced stouts I have ever had. A little boozy but not offensive.

M- Thick and chewy just like it should be, with perfect carbonation.

D- For it's style this beer has major drinkability. If i had the beer to blow i would have not problem drinking a few of these on a cold night or cold morning. This brew does a great job at hiding it's alcohol.

Overall this is a world class brew that lives up to all the hype. This was the perfect beer to sit back and relax with and a great beer to mark my 50th review. If I could change anything about this beer I would make it year round so i could have this in my fridge at all times. Founders did and amazing job with this beer and they are quickly gaining ground on bells for being my favorite MI brewery.

10-28-2010 02:48:08 | More by StoutHunter
RankRefugee88

4.7/5  rDev +4%

Poured from bottle into a nice sifter glass.

A - Very dark. Even when shone through light you can not see anything but black. Beautiful. Small tan head that dissipates to a very thin layer but leaves some lacing along the glass.

S - Just an extremely inviting smell. Coffee, coffee, chocolate, oatmeal, and did I mention coffee? Nothing bad about the nose whatsoever.

T - I'm not gonna lie, I was hesitant about drinking this in the morning, and even after my first sip I thought I wasn't ready for this, but a couple sips down, and, wow! The coffee flavor is so robust and warming. You can feel the alcohol presence, but for the most part it is disguised by that chocolate and coffee flavor, so be careful with this 8.3%. I can also taste the traces of oatmeal, just perfect. What is also great about this beer is although it is a stout with very strong coffee bean flavor, you can taste the hops too, making it one of the best balanced stouts I've ever had.

M - Mouthfeel is up there too, it has a nice texture to it, not coarse whatsoever. As smooth as it gets. Very nicely carbonated for this style, almost perfect carbonation. Something I like about the mouth feel is that it's not too thick, but thick enough to coat your palate with love.

D - One of the easiest beers to drink that I've ever had in my life. And with and 8.3% ABV! Unbelievably drinkable. Unfortunately this is my last one from the 4-pack I picked up the other day but I will damn sure be getting more of this.

Wow, just awesome. I didn't know a beer could be so near perfect like this. Every sip is just so savory. When you take a sip of this beer everything just feels right. This beer definitely has lived up to my expectations, and I'd even go as far as saying that it's in my top 3. Just amazing.

10-27-2010 13:52:23 | More by RankRefugee88
afksports

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

This one is just so damn good. It's rare to find a beer everyone in your group likes, but this is it. While KBS and CBS are exceptional in their own way, this one has the power of drinkability. Like greyskull.

If I had one of these a day it wouldn't be a bad life. Appearance is dark brown, but not pitch. Lacing solid, head nice and tan, finger length. Smell is coffee chocolate and malts. Mostly coffee. Taste is still sitting on my tongue even after I've left Washington Commons where I had it on tap. Coffee up front, chocolate malts in the middle, dirty oatmealy sweet finish that lingers with fine chocolate.

Everyone should have this beer everywhere at all times an all places. It will cure cancer and solve starvation.

10-27-2010 03:09:08 | More by afksports
Buggabeer

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

pour from a bottle into a draft glass.

A. Like Crude Oil, Black as night. That's the best looking stout I've seen. Poured to a small head that quickly went away after first drink. Nice lacing on side of glass.

S. can you say COFFEE. Also pick up the roasted malt.

T. The coffee finish masks well the above average alcohol. Also pick up the roast of the malt. Very nice!!

M. There is a creamy feel to the beer which for me is a plus.

D. Well I won't have any of this before work but after I'll drink all I can get : ) WOW very nice!

10-27-2010 00:53:00 | More by Buggabeer
JoeBloe

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

ok - i've had this a couple of times a couple of ways when traveling out of state over the years - and now founders is finally distributing in NY -
i brought a couple of 4pks into work last week and poured a few glasses to give to the crew to try - the response was overwhelmingly incredible --"what IS this?' 'where did you get it?'
"can you get me some" "i don't think i can drink anything else now that i've tried this! " were some of the comments - beer advocacy rules!
also,one of the best labels in the industry
the next day i stopped by decicco's in ardsley to pick up a couple more 4pks for the guys and to my amazement there's FBS on the growler fill station! -

pours thick and black and puts up a nice thick 2 finger tan head and laces nicely on the way down -
smells roasty(?) with coffee and dark chocolate
taste is very nice up front with coffee flavors and chocolate with a slightly bitter finish that begs for the next sip
feels nice on the tongue and pallete, like a good quality dark chocolate -
drinkability is amazingly good - to quote a beer store employee who saw my purchase - "that stuff is like crack" - i want to sip this all day long -

very well deserving of its standing as #8 best beer on planet earth

10-25-2010 19:35:29 | More by JoeBloe
gregshead

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Dark black with that beautiful light chocolate color thick head. Head dissipates over a few minutes

S: Roasted grain and chocolate was all I could pick out.

T: Light oatmeal taste up from followed by dark roasted grain and a little bit of alcohol heat/burn. Simple but all the simple elements are all done well

M: Good amount of carbonation tickles the tongue. Thick and smooth taste.

D: Really tasty and smooth. I really liked this stout but I didn't love it for its category of American Double Stout. For all the hype, I was a tad underwhelmed but it was very good.

10-25-2010 05:01:37 | More by gregshead
BigB415

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

poured a black color. So dark no light got through. The aroma was very subtle and did smell like coffee and oatmeal. Taste was great, there was a hint of chocolate at the end which I liked. No head on the beer. I was expecting a stronger aroma from the beer but was not disappointed. It wasn't so strong it overpowered everything since I was having it with a meal. It was just right.

10-25-2010 04:59:46 | More by BigB415
TulipSnifter

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: It was dark brown-black with minimal head
Smell: Coffee
Taste: I tasted chocolate covered coffee beans... Yummy!!
Mouth feel: It felt a little thin to me.
Drink ability: It seemed to be a little thinner than I would expect but it was really easy to drink.

10-24-2010 23:32:54 | More by TulipSnifter
Tripphop

Bottled 10/23/09, drank for breakfast 10/24/10.

Consumed straight from bottle, served ice cold.

Of course, this is not the proper way to drink this one, but its not my first.

Nice blast of roasted coffee that mellows out into a creamy chocolate resin, coating the tongue. Aromas of cocoa powder and roasted coffee bean surprisingly detectable from the bottle top. Great flavor and balance overall, coffee has better integration in the brew after one year of waiting. What's for lunch?

10-24-2010 16:15:35 | More by Tripphop
drewba

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

I decided to help myself to a fresh bottle of FBS for review #25! Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - near opaque black. Pours with a tiny tan head and recedes to just a thin ring with light lacing.

S - The aroma is colossal - fresh coffee, milk chocolate, oatmeal, buttercream.

T - So many big flavors - the coffee is leading the charge. It isn't an intense bitter coffee, but something like a light roast without any stray coffee grounds to add any bitter. Chocolate and oatmeal pair together to create smooth, silky dessert like texture and flavor that gets me all hot and bothered. Citrusey hops bust out in the finish, showcasing lemony and orangey goodness.

M - Milky, creamy, smooth mouthfeel. I absolutely love it.

D - The flavors mesh so well together, I can't stop drinking this. They might as well make this Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner stout (rimshot!) Caution: you cannot taste the alcohol whatsoever at 8.3%, so watch out.

10-24-2010 09:17:59 | More by drewba
jmerloni

A - Thick pour. Jet black, a bit hazy looking. Looks like oil. Huge tan frothy head that sticks like a mofo. Pillowy. Incredible looking.

S - Oh my lord. Coffee and chocolate. Roasted and smoky. Robust smelling. You can smell the alcohol a bit. I can't imagine this smelling better.

T - Everything on the nose and more. Lives up to the excitement that had built on seeing and smelling this beer. A nice bourbon'ish alcohol tinge on the end that makes it the most pleasantly warming beer I've ever encountered. This is perfect.

M - Thick, thick. Dry as can be. Creamy and chewy.

D - Very drinkable. I wish I could drink this all night, though it might mean I end up destroying things. This is my 100th beer review and this is the best beer I've tried to date. If only it were more findable.

10-23-2010 01:07:26 | More by jmerloni
tang3nt

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Had on tap at sunset bar and grill on a recent trip to new England. I was excited to finally try a founders brew.
Pours a deep brown/black color with a nice brown head. Great retention and lacing.
Aroma is almost all coffee. Smells amazing. Definitely chocolate as well. At this point I already knew I loved this beer.
Strong coffee and chocolate flavors. The coffee in this beer tastes better than any coffee I've ever had. Just all around tastey. Both milk and dark chocolate flavors but predominantly dark.
Its medium/heavy bodied with a bit of creaminess.
A very drinkable stout. Goes down very easy especially considering the amount of bold flavors and body it has to it. Overall very happy I had the opportunity to try this and could easily see myself having this for breakfast every day. That is if I could ever score any in Cali. Breakfast of champions!

10-22-2010 20:27:58 | More by tang3nt
TMoney2591

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Served in a snifter at Durty Nellie's.

Got a tip from a friend this was on-tap nearby. Yay. It pours a solid black topped by a finger of nice tan foam. The nose comprises chocolate (both dark and milk), coffee, roasted malts, and molasses. The taste follows this pre-beaten path, though the molasses is diminished, the chocolate seems entirely dark, and the coffee lends a nice bit o' bitterness with its roastedness. The body is a rather hefty medium, with a light carbonation and a chewy feel. Overall, a very tasty brew; not necessarily as awesome as the barrel-aged varieties, but more than strong enough as it is.

10-22-2010 14:49:35 | More by TMoney2591
russwbeck

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

I will say this up front, I am not a stout guy. I normally can't drink a full bottle of a stout. I have had 2 that I liked...this is one of them.

A: Darkness, brown head that doesn't stick around for a long time, but laces nicely as I drink. 4

S: Really smells like I'm about to drink some coffee with a little chocolate in it. Earthy tones as well. 4.5

T: I was ready to hate the taste. I really was. But wow, I get the hype. Smooth chocolate starts it off, like a melted candy bar. Then it takes a backseat to the coffee, which isn't too dry or too much like coffee, its just an enjoyable flavor. Then it all subsides to a wonderful aftertaste. 4.5

MF: Full bodied and heavy. Creamy, but smooth. 4.5

D: Very high for a stout. This beer should be enjoyed as long as possible. 5

A LOT has changed since the review above. This was one of my "gateway" stouts, which are now my absolute favorite. I am now reviewing a 1 year old bottle, dated "9/10/10". I should get around to re-reviewing a fresh one as well!

A: The appearance is pretty much the same. Deep, dark brown pour with a light brown head. Not a great retention, but the lacing is great. 4

S: The coffee, as expected, has really stepped back. This has become a chocolate bomb with hints of vanilla and molasses. 4

T: Gotta say the taste has stepped back already on this guy. I remember fresh FBS being absolutely top notch, this taste is ordinary. Chocolate, molasses, a bit watery. Reminds me a lot of their Imperial Stout, but not quite as good. The defining characteristics that made this a great beer have gone. 3

MF: Not quite as full bodied, certainly still creamy. Carbonation is still fine but the finish is not as dry. 4

O: This category has changed since last time! Drinkability is fine, but overall this aged version is but a small glimmer of its former phenomenal self, but I do still like it. 4

10-22-2010 03:23:27 | More by russwbeck
Landfill21

4.43/5  rDev -2%

I have liked all brews from Founders so I decided to give this one a go.

Pours into a dark brown/black color with a brown head that slithers down the side of the glass and is almost paper thin.

Has a really good smell, mocha chocolate bombards your nose.

Tastes of mocha chocolate hints of oatmeal.

Has a nice mouthfeel, med to med/light. Goes down smooth like all Founders beverages.

Has a really nice drinkability at 8.3% don't know how many I would have but I could easily put a few down.

I would highly recomend this stout, def. tasty.

10-22-2010 01:17:08 | More by Landfill21
Vdubb86

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

Served in a snifter at Durty Nellie's in Palatine, IL

I had to try this bad boy on tap, I knew in advance that it should be a fairly nice brew. It pours a nice black with a tan finger of head. The smell is mainly of smoked malts and coffee, with a bit of whiskey in the back. The taste is mainly whiskey and smoke. There are hints of both vanilla and roasted chocolate. This is a fairly smooth beer, but the alcohol is astringent on the palate. In spite of that it's still rather smooth and a extraordinarily nice drinking beer. Overall it is one of the better recommendations that I can make for any beer.

10-21-2010 22:16:34 | More by Vdubb86
awalk1227

Georgia

Consumed 10/16/10

Poured into tulip glass

A: Black, oily, silky, with a tan foamy cap of head on top.

S: Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, earthiness, oats.

T: Rich, milky chocolate. Almost like a cocoa fondue with hints of coffee and dark chocolate mixed in. Good balance of bitter. Everything becomes more pronounced when it warms. I prefer it at room temperature.

F: Silk. Pretty full mouthfeel, not quite as thick as I'd like. Not too much prickle.

D: For 8.3%, scary. Could kill a 4-pack easily on a cold night.

10-21-2010 20:34:58 | More by awalk1227
nkersten

3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours opaque black with a thin mocha head that settles to a ring around the edge of the glass. Nice lacing. Smell is coffee. Hang on, I am sure there is something else.... Nope, just coffee. Maybe a hint of hops, but everything is overshadowed by a fresh brewed coffee smell. Taste is bitter coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts and a slight hop bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is thick and slightly coating, with a light/medium carbonation. Drinkability is good for the style despite the overpowering coffee flavor (I happen to love coffee). Gets much more balanced as it warms.

10-21-2010 02:29:39 | More by nkersten
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Dark and thick. Average carbonation with a head that fell away pretty quickly.

S- Chocolate and roasted malts. A bit of alcohol and coffee.

T- Very bittersweet. Heavy on the cocoa as well as the coffee. Dark roast and dark chocolate. Gives a great bitter burnt taste. Some notes of oatmeal as well. Very tasty.

M- Medium full body. Very creamy and smooth. Nice and dry to the extent where it feels like your mouth has been laced with cocoa and coffee.

D- Extremely drinkable. The 8.3% was there, but I don't think I'd notice it unless I looked really hard. I'm reviewing the second of my three bottles that have been aged for a year. The first didn't take to well to it, but the second is incredibly smooth and maintained the flavor. I plan to review it again fresh and compare.

**FRESH TASTING RESULTS**
It seems to taste a little less harsh than I remember from last years brew. The 2009 seemed to be a bit more assertive. 2010's didn't seem as bitter to me either. I'd have rated this brew the same in all regards though, as the aged 2009 bottles I had a couple months ago. I bumped up the Smell rating as either the new one smells nicer, or the fresh aroma is preferable.

10-20-2010 01:55:22 | More by BBP
ramseye4

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours the color of Texas Gold, with a deep brown head. I can't help but sit there and look at it, eagerly anticipating the rest of the Founder's Breakfast Stout experience. Let's hope I'm not disappointed. Hmmm... The smell, wow, just wow. A wonderful coffee aroma emits from glass, with a hint of sweet chocolate. My god, The taste is even better than the smell. It's a bit chewy, and exceptionally creamy. It tastes like smooth coffee, with espresso and dark dark chocolate thrown in, with the faintest amount of hops coming through in the aftertaste. I had nearly peed my pants when I saw this sitting on the shelf of my local beer and wine store, and boy it did not disappoint. I'll definitely be coming back for more. I try to not throw out 4's and 5's all willy nilly in my reviews, but this beer is worthy of the praise and hype.

10-20-2010 01:09:22 | More by ramseye4
FanofHefe

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Finally got my hands on some FBS! Pours dark black in color with NO transparency at all. Small dark tan head that fades quickly but leaves very nice lacing.

Aroma is incredible. Coffee and chocolate are prominent. Teases with sweetness and a slight hint of dark fruit.

Taste does not dissapoint. Coffee, caramel, chocoalte. I only get a slight taste of oatmeal, but enough. The great surprise is the bitterness; very well done. Like a very GOOD cuppa joe.

Mouthfeel is great. Not harsh, no substantial presence of alcohol. Again, well done.

High abv but not as high as some other stouts. I would only put this a few notches below KBS. Highly recommend.

10-18-2010 21:33:26 | More by FanofHefe
GabrielM

New Mexico

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Received as an extra from shaebs99 in the Nice Cans II BIF. Thanks again!

Poured into a snifter.

A - maybe the best looking glass of beer I've ever seen. It truly does look like coffee with some deep, dark brown head on top and thick, heavy lacing that sticks to the glass as it swirls.

S - chocolate! coffee! vanilla, oatmeal, molasses. Freaking outstanding!

T - everything that my nose detected plus some slight hop and espresso bitterness. Alcohol? Not a trace!

M - a real treat for the palate. A ton of delicious flavors thickly coating every inch of my mouth. Carbonation is great, maybe even a little too much, but this calms down after letting the brew sit and warm closer to room temp.

D - I could drink this all day and night (or until I eventually passed out, which would be an eventual certainty with 8.3% ABV)

10-17-2010 22:06:55 | More by GabrielM
kreeper

Wisconsin

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into snifter, served at 55 degrees F.

A- Jet black body with an ample, thick frothy/bubbly chocolate brown head, about 2 inches tall. Gradually, it faded into a light head and then just lace. Light carbonation.

S- Smelled strong of coffee with hints of chocolate and a light alcohol after smell.

T- The taste was exactly what I had hoped for, it smells like it looks. Amazing. Coffee with chocolate is all I can say.

M- Swirling it around in the mouth, its not too heavy, not too light. A little carbonation. it feels like coffee!

D- The drinkability of this fine brew is almost scary. I could sit and drink this particular brew all winter long, and if my local suppliers could keep it stocked, I would.

10-17-2010 02:26:52 | More by kreeper
Cheesemoose

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to given2flybrewing for this one!

Drank this from a tulip on while brewing my first beer. Pitch black with brown edges and a nice khaki head. No lacing, very little head.

Coffee in the forefront on the nose. Bittersweet chocolate and the smell of dried fruit and nuts in the background. Very intriguing.

Coffee flavors well pronounced. Mild chocolate flavors with a good bit of nuttiness. Oatmeal is in the background, providing a good bit of balancing. Sweet finish, bittersweet chocolate returns and good fruity flavor, raisins or dried plums come to mind.

Very mild carbonation with a great mouthfeel that lingers. Alcohol is very well masked, but the thickness would make me only try one at a time.

10-16-2010 19:14:14 | More by Cheesemoose
klikger

Wisconsin

12 oz bottle poured into a Darkness snifter

A - Jet black, small dark brown head, very good lacing

S - Dark chocolate, freshly roasted coffee, touch of lactose, cinnamon

T - Coffee beans, chocolate malted milk balls --> piny hops and a touch of molasses --> loads of dark chocolate and espresso on the finish, which is bitter and sweet and lasting and very memorable. Awesome stout - it hardly gets better than this.

M - Light-to-medium body, yet creamy, yet easy going down. Very nicely carbonated. Feels great to swish back and forth, enjoying all of the flavors.

D - Very drinkable for such a complex brew - two of these is no problem, and that's saying a lot for me.

10-16-2010 05:14:52 | More by klikger