Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,171
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

Had on tap at rattle n hum pre-phish. 2 brews in already, vut always ready for a breakfast stout, and I never had it on tap. Showed up pitch black in a chalice with no head. Looks a bit watery, but we all know it is thick as a brick. Chocolate coffee goodness on the nose and taste. So good fresh. Love it, very easy to drink and a vit surprisungly richer and fuller than the bottle.

cosmicevan, Dec 31, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Pours pitch black with about 1/2 an inch of thick tan head that dissipates leaving some lacing around the glass

The smells coming from the glass are coffee notes and roasted malts

Big coffee flavor with hints of chocolate and roasted malt flavors, with a little hop bitterness. there is also a hint of the 8.3%abv that comes through at the end as you draw ar over the sip.

medium mouthfeel with fairly high drinkability on this delicious stout.

rowingbrewer, Dec 31, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

A ridiculously generous bonus bottle from amishland, again, thanks! Poured into a crystal snifter, cuz I'm classy like that.

Absolute black beer with a gorgeous, bubbly dark tan head. The foam crown in this snifter is by far one of the best I've ever seen in my 10+ years of drinking good beer. Barely visible carbonation can be seen if you look hard into the liquid. Amazing looks, utterly perfect. Smell, too, is simply perfect. Huge coffee notes, creamy dark chocolate, very dark, almost burnt malts, vanilla, that indefinable oatmeal smell, creamy, rich, decadent. I am floored by the smell. Taste is not exactly what I was anticipating, but still a world class American Imperial Stout. Flavors meld seamlessly into a big creamy, chocolaty gob of awesomeness. Not much sweetness, just hearty flavors anyone from the most naive Bud Light drinker to the most jaded beer hound can appreciate fully. Absolutely great finish of French roast coffee and bittersweet cocoa. The only fault I can find is there is a distinct tinny-flavor, which might be the hops trying their best to come to the surface under the overwhelming malt/coffee/chocolates in this. Not quite perfect, but about as close as it comes as a 4.5. Mouthfeel is exceptional, too. Very bodied and thicker than all get out. Smooth with subdued carbonation.

Wow! This is the definition of world class beer! Immensely enjoyable, each sip is a joy and abounds with flavor! Crazy good drinkability, this beer just begs to be slowly sipped savored, pondered, meditated on, analyzed and broken down, just to be built back up in time for the next sip. Wow, just...wow.

SamN, Dec 30, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

I am currently working my way through the top 100 beers and unfortunately tried this one first - now I compare about every stout to this one - in which there is almost no competition.

A - The appearance is very dark, looks almost like you poured hershey's syrup into a glass - thick creamy foam

S - Smell of chocolate with hints of coffee - almost a cocoa smell

T - Has a very strong chocolate flavor, very thick and FULL bodied. Sort of a chalky cocoa flavor, but not too chalky. Good clean finish.

M - Bold throughout the sip

D - The only reason I rated this a 4.5 is because the beer gets heavy, you can definatley only have one or two of these before your tastebuds die of happiness. This beer is so flavorful - I will definatley buy this one time after time.

MamaMeier, Dec 30, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

Thanks to Goblinmunkey7 for the hookup on these...

Poured from a 12oz bottle into North Coast Brewing pint glass...

A - Pours pitch black with a one finger brown head that dissipates fairly fast. A little lacing sticks to the glass, but nothing to amazing, especially conidering the style...

S - Coffee and chocolate dominate here. Smells like a good breakfast beer should...

T - Dark roasted malts, chocolate, and lots of coffee. Also get a hint of brown sugar. Finishes with a coffee bitterness. Was hoping the coffee would subdue a little as it warmed, but even though it didn't, this is still a very tasty brew. Kinda like a strong mocha. ABV is very well hidden...

M - Nice and creamy with a moderate amount of carbonation...

D - What better way to start the day? If you are a fan of coffee, good craft beer, or both; then this beer is for you. I am not a coffee drinker myself, but I still enjoyed this one, and am looking foward to trying again in the future...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Dec 30, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

With as many times as I've had FBS, I found it hard to believe that I hadn't reviewed it yet. So I'm sitting down tonight with a bottle (bottled 9/3/2010) and writing a review!

Pours jet black with a thin mocha colored head that dissipates relatively quickly.

The nose is full of dark roasted coffee and chocolate. It's difficult to pick up much else in the nose because of the strength of these two scents, but those are enough to make me want to take a sip.

Just like the nose, the taste is loaded with coffee. The coffee flavor is slightly bitter, but certainly not bitter enough to be a turn-off. There are hints of chocolate, roasted malts, and hops, but the coffee is the main attraction.

Mouth feel is smooth and creamy as a result of the oats. Fairly thick body and low carbonation.

Drinkability is high. An awesome beer to slowly sip and savor over the coarse of an evening.

ratedz, Dec 30, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottled on date: 10/1/10

Fairly aggressive pour into a nonic pint yields a jet black body with a finger of dark tan head, leaving some nice lacing at the top of the glass. The nose is predominantly coffee, a great roasted smell. Also picking up some hints of chocolate, but the coffee aromas are overwhelming. Perhaps a bit more of a semi-sweet chocolate on the tongue, but this is certainly all about the coffee. I really don't taste much, if any, of the alcohol in this Stout. Nice and creamy, with a pleasant carbonation level. I could easily drink a few of these in a sitting, but prefer it for a dessert, or even to kick off an early session.

Wonderful beer, well deserving of the praise and ratings it gets. Ive got notes from a fresh growler I drank when first released, that Ill add in the coming weeks too (got a slightly higher score).

prdstmnky, Dec 29, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

First review...and it's a good beer to start with I reckon. Poured from a tap into a clear growler at the liquor store I work at, then poured into my 20oz Culinary Institute of America glass.

Appearance: Probably one of the darkest beers I've ever seen. It came out nice though, decent 2 finger head with lacing throughout the glass during consumption.

Smell: Coffee, Roasted Malts, etc. It was drank Christmas night so I'm having trouble remembering.

Taste: Like a Milk Stout, with notes of Coffee, don't think I got too much Chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light, easy drinking, not heavy like I expected.

Drinkability: Very Easy Drinking, I plan on getting a 4-pack of it this weekend.

I highly recommend this beer if you have it near your house.
Cheers!

MWellington, Dec 29, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured into a Flying Saucer Christmas 09 Yule Fuel glass black with a thin tan head. Great lacing. The nose is a little light but roasted malts are very present. The taste is strong of dark chocolate roasted malts with some oatmeal after taste. The oatmeal leaves the mouthfeel dry, but not too dry. This is a very drinkable stout that I wish I could have more often.

whoneeds8, Dec 29, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8%

Appearance- opaque black body with a tight mocha head. Very inviting... "drink me... drink me!"

Smell- coffee and dark malts. Alcohol is present, and I think there's some bacon... hmmmm.

Taste- oatmeal and chocolate. Ripe fruit. The roastiness balances thw sweet. Delicious.

Mouthfeel- very creamy. Best mouthfeel of any stout I've had.

Drinkability- christ jesus.

ztaylor1, Dec 28, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz bottle dated 10/1/10 poured into a snifter

A- Pitch black with a small dark tan head.

S- Dark roasted coffee, some dark chocolate and a hint of alcohol.

T- Nice rich dark coffee flavor, hint of dark chocolate and some nuttiness, nice roasted malts, some nice bitter hops in the finish.

M- Smooth, rich, silky, creamy, and full bodied.

D- Great and very easy to drink. The 8.3% ABV is very well hidden. I could actually drink this for breakfast.

larryi86, Dec 28, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

As we pour this brew into our snifters it appears as a syrupy, black liquid. It produces a one finger head of medium brown that retains for a short time. Spotty lacing punctuates the glass. Carbonation looks to be standard, but it, along with sediment, is hard to judge. The aroma is very rich, with dark coffee beans and chocolate, smokiness from char blackened malts, and an earthiness, as of spicy peppers. There is also a hint of cool vanilla. As we sip, the taste explodes up front with coffee and roasty malts. There is also a fine sweetness clinging to the edges. The sweetness disappears through the middle, while the other flavors ride on. They crash into the charred smoke at the end for a bitter, coffee-laden finish. We breathe an aftertaste that is not dissimilar to that after drinking a cup of creamy, dark coffee. The body here is full, and the carbonation is light to medium. The sip is very smooth and creamy, and coats the mouth nicely. The heavy coffee tends to dry the mouth after a while, but the mouth is happy. The abv is appropriate and entirely elusive in both aroma and taste.

Overall, what we like best about this brew was how bold the flavoring was, and the feel to it. As advertised, the coffee dominates a good portion of this session, but leaves room for some complexity throughout. As you sip the smoothness and creaminess of the beer are of another world. If any beer could produce a beer mustache, this would be it. Simply put, we could sip this all day long.

TheBrewo, Dec 27, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

heroicly opaque. vicious and viscous. big fat beige head, leaving some nice stained glass, and fading to a thin smooth crop.
at first hint, brutally heavy coffee followed by bitter chocolate. the coffee actually is very floral with really nice hints of nuts ~ macademia? the chocolate is right in line, giving a huge nose that nearly masks the hot alcohol that storms to the forefront.
The drink, though, supplies the brilliance, big floral fruitiness (like blueberries?), nutty, definitely feeling the macadamia vibe here, chocolate coffee. Alcohol is more hidden in flavor than in song. Some bit of roast.
Excellent vibe with this whole thing. My first sip had me thinking it was going to be a long glass, but the 2nd opened the whole thing up. Probably just needed a little air to breath in there. An astounding beverage. Love the multiple coffees and chocolates producing an outstanding array of flavors. Bravo.

dragonWhale, Dec 27, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2%

Pours a very dark color with minimal head as with most founders products.

Smells of dark chocolate and coffee.

Tastes pretty damn smooth with nuttiness and chocolate and coffee. Some carbonation, but not much.

Another pretty excellent offering from Founders and not too pricey at $9.49 a 4 pack.

AllFineThings, Dec 26, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a large DFH Snifter (number 6 in a series of tastings for the 2010 Holiday). It's sitting on the desk next to the PC monitor as I type this (I've not started the review yet), and I can smell it from here (love the surface area that the large snifter provides for)!

A- Black like liquid coal. Little to no head, which I'm attributing to the large glass and not the brew- as I had one last night in a Pint Glass and it had a wonderful two-finger tan head that slowly went to very nice lacing.

S- Coffee and Chocolate, with hints of hop and malts. Cocoa powder like chocolate hints on the nose and tongue.

T- I am biased here- I bought a case of this brew recently and have decided it's my favorite stout. Coffee and chocolate superbly blended with malt and hop- a flavor combination that is befitting the winter storm that is blowing snow outside as I type this! The kicker (literally) is that the alcohol is hidden very well.

M- Velvety smooth, slight fizz, thick and full body.

D- The most I've ever had in one sitting is three, and every one was as superb as the other. Very drinkable, enjoyable, and hard to keep on the shelf ;-)

CraftAleRookie, Dec 26, 2010

Poured from a 12 oz. 2009 vintage bottle into a snifter.

A - Dark, slightly viscous pitch color with no chance of light coming through. Weak, one finger head that leaves virtually no lacing down the side of the glass.

S - COFFEE. I don't get much else, maybe a hint of oats and a little chocolate, but the coffee is too far out of balance, probably because it gets a big old boost by the roasted malts.

T - Again, Coffee immediately followed by a little astringency from the malts, back into coffee. And the coffee seems to have a lot more acidity to it than espresso even. Almost no semblance of chocolate at all. I really can't believe how out of balance this seems.

M - Slightly oily, but not cloying at all, which is quite nice. The chewiness is enjoyable as well especially in the throat. I didn't feel ruined for the night from this beer, which I worry about with such strong flavors in this style.

D - Surprisingly drinkable if it were more balanced in flavor. I have to give this another shot given its reputation, but I was pretty disappointed in the lack of balance for this first round.

MowryJC, Dec 26, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a jet black color with a brown head that leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smells of chocolate and coffee.

Tastes of the deep roasted notes. Malts are characterized by coffee, bitter-sweet chocolate, and brown sugar. Sweetness is kept in check with roasted bitterness and citric hops. Balanced overall. Alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is full with a smooth amount of carbonation.

ocelot2500, Dec 26, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Got a Case from my mother for Christmas, a cousin picked it up in PA before she came home for Christmas. Big thanks to them both.Bottled on 10/11/10. Poured into my 13 oz tulip glass. As black as midnight, with a 2 inch toffee color head. A thing of beauty. Nice lacing, not earth shattering. The smell was very nice, but my expectations were very high. Roasted coffee and chocolate, not as in your face as expected. I let it warm for along 15 minutes, because I felt the temp was throwing off the smell. Finally dove in for a nice big gulp. Wow blew the smell away, desert in a glass. Coffee smacks you in the face, with a chocolate kiss at the end. Some hops, but just in the backround. Nice and thick mouthfeel, not over the top. This is the best coffee stout I have had and in the league of best stouts ever. A pleasure to finally see what all the hype was about.

SawDog505, Dec 23, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter. No 'best by' date on the bottle.
A: Pitch black body, no head, virtually no carbonation. My friend got a nice one finger khaki head in a tulip glass.
S: Mocha aroma. Espresso, chocolate. A hint of oatmeal sweetness.
T: Does not deliver on what the nose promised. I found the flavor to be thin. I was hoping for a bolder flavor. The chocolate and espresso are there, but very toned down. Slight lingering espresso flavor in the aftertaste.
M/D: Body was thin for an imperial stout. Smooth and easy to drink. Not a good choice for a session beer.

I reviewed this beer a month ago and was not overly impressed. I tried it again now to see if it was just a bad bottle, but once again, I wasn't impressed. It's good, but nothing special. I love imperial stouts. I just don't think this one lives up to the hype.

goalie33, Dec 23, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours so dark and thick I can't even tell what's written on my pint glass. Absolute black that leaves a brown head that dwindles to a puddling lace.

The aroma is overwhelming. Coffee, black malt, oats, sweet chocolate, baker's chocolate, extreme toasty malts. It literally kicked me back the first time I smelt it.

So smooth and creamy. The black patent and toasty oat is right up front then transitions to the sweet coffee/chocolate bitterness. There is sugary fruit flavor(persimmon) that wanders around the palette as well. The hop bitterness is so balanced in the finished its amazing they combined so many earthy textures into this.

The picture on the bottle describes exactly how I feel drinking this.

DrinkingDrake, Dec 22, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

Finally trying this one. Just never run into it when I'm on the East Coast. Today was the day.

Appearance- Black. Pours with very little head, and maybe a quarter inch of dark mocha head. Almost no lacing.

Smell- Dark chocolate, for sure. Chocolate covered espresso beans. A little smoky. Smells like a cup of well roasted coffee. Black.

Taste- Following the nose, unsurprisingly. Lots of bittersweet chocolate. The coffee comes through much more on the finish. Very dry, bitter end. The bitterness just lingers. Endless finish. There is a sweetness somewhere in the middle, which is nice. Almost a fruitiness, with some acidity. However, it's the finish that just sits around forever, and harms this one for me. I'd like to get more from the oatmeal, but alas.

Mouthfeel- Nice and rich. Coats the tongue. Very good.

Drinkability- The finish knocks it down, but the way it hides the abv deserves note.

Glad I picked up two, instead of a four-pack. Not my favorite beer. I think I'd need to be more of a coffee fan. The lingering bitter finish is a little much for my tastes.

callmescraps, Dec 22, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours almost black in color with two fingers of brown foamy head, excellent retention, about 1/2 of the initial head remains throughout the beer.

The scent was of chocolate and coffee, some roasty malts.

The taste was of sweet milk chocolate at first, then roasty malt and coffee, the alcohol taste is almost non-existent, finishes with dry dark chocolate/cocoa.

Full bodied, silky smooth and creamy, low carbonation.

This was a fantastic beer, very flavorful and suprisingly easy to drink, there is very little to be desired.

BeerCon5, Dec 22, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Coffee, and chocolate, and oats, oh my.

Been wanting to try this for quite some time now. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Thanks to my son for bringing home from college.

A-Pours black with a one finger, creamy tan head with only modest retention and lacing. This may be the darkest beer I have ever seen. Look's menacing, as does the bottle's label.

S-Imported bittersweet chocolate, coffee beans (Sumatra and Kona per the website - two of my favorites), and a faint but welcome hint of booze. This is wonderful.

T-Coffee. Coffee and bittersweet chocolate. More coffee with just the right measure of bitterness from the hops and sweetness from the malt bill. Enough coffee that I believe there should be a separate style. As an IS this is very good. As a coffee stout, this is amazing. I think I could drink this in the morning.

M-Exceedingly smooth with a full, luxuriant body perfected by the oats present in the mash. Very nice for a smaller IS at 8.3% ABV.

D-I liked this very much, and it is the most drinkable imperial stout I have enjoyed. I commend the brewery for bottling these in 12 ounces. I wish it were available in the PNW. If it were it would be consumed with great frequency, at least by me.

velosuds, Dec 22, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

I took this out of the fridge about 15 minutes before opening it. I'm going to spend quite some time with it and write the review as I do.

Appearance: Pours matte black. I can't hold the glass to the light at any angle to see burgundy or brown or anything. Initially a good two-finger cocoa-colored head that slowly fades to a frothy film that remains for quite some time and ensure the beer looks just as appetizing as time goes by. The head leaves partial rings of lace that slowly disappear. If you look down into the glass as you drink it, and watch it slowly wave back and forth, you can see how full-bodied it is. I tried this after nearly an hour, so that thin film of head was finally gone, and it looked like sludge. Dirty oil. But in a completely appealing way.

Smell: What can I say? The beer is dark chocolate all the way. Very dark. I can barely smell something like alcohol throughout--I want to actually say I can smell the warmth of the alcohol. A bit of roast coffee beans too.

Taste: Tastes like it smells: dark chocolate. A bit of black coffee, too. A bit more bitter than "moderately bitter." It doesn't taste like alcohol at all but it leaves the tongue warm as a reminder of the heat this thing is packin'. The beer sweetens up a bit as it warms. We're not progressing into milk chocolate territory here by a long shot, but we're out of the 90% cacao range. Maybe 70 or 80. I've seen some reviews that get super complex with the taste of this beer, but all I can detect is dark chocolate. I suppose dark chocolate, real good dark chocolate, is itself kind of complex, so I guess that's it. The beer definitely tastes its best at room temperature, when it's at the perfect balance of bitter and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick, but a bit creamy. Usually velvet smooth, but sometimes slightly rough from the alcohol warming the tongue. Then it does get thicker as it gets near room temperature, and even creamier.

Drinkability: Velvet smooth. Dark chocolate. Creamy. You tell me. The only drawback I can imagine is the warmth of this thing. If you don't want to be superwarm, you might stop at one.

TheKtulu7, Dec 22, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a very deep (black hole) dark black with a two finger cappuccino head that dissipated into a ring with thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma of dark coffee, roasted malt and hints of chocolate.

Taste followed the nose with a very nice dark black coffee, roasted slightly burnt malt with a slight sweetness of milk chocolate.

This is a nice thick, creamy smooth heavy body beer with little carbonation. There is a very slight warming from the alcohol, not much for the 8.30% abv.

I could easily replace my morning Starbucks with this beer. Very nice beer, I'm happy that I have a few more to enjoy over Christmas. Great job Founders.

dtivp, Dec 21, 2010