Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,500
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 14,086 | Reviews: 3,525
3.25/5  rDev -28.1%

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 02/12

Poured vigorously into a 16oz tall glass that yielded a rapidly disappearing head of about a finger nail width.

The beer is quite cold and so aromas are quite difficult to find. Wisps of coffee, burnt chocolate and lots of nose. I don't smell alcohol at all.

Taste is creamy smooth. It is not sweet chocolate, but the chocolate is there. The coffee is not overpowering which I expected after reading several other reviews. The coffee balances well the chocolate. The finish is all bittering hops.

Mouthfeel is perfect. I like the thinkness of it. It is a malty thick.

Overall, I like this beer better than its cousin KBS. I realize that will have me stoned on this site, but the KBS was thin and overly oaky while this balances more flavors with the malty thickness I expect from a big stout. Delicious. I would buy this again.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: Dark dark brown, nearly black. Thin lacing of a coffee colored head.

Smell: I smell creamy hazelnut coffee, oatmeal, chocolate and a bit of alcohol

Taste: Sweet roasted coffee, chocolate, cream, oats, slight alcohol

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth if a bit syrupy, low carbonation, a bit thick.

Overall: Fantastic beer, lives up to hype. I was excited when I saw a 4-pack of this still on the shelf on my local beer store.

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This came as an add-on to my last trade. An awesome and unexpected surprise. Thanks kalvarez for the opportunity. Have wanted to get my hands on some Founders for a while.

A-A think opaque black. Pours w/ a great mahogany head that holds for a long time in the glass and leaves great lacing.

S- Awesome nose. Smells strongly of chocolate and coffee. Just off the smell I am almost wishing I waited till breakfast for this one. A big malty nose. Good deal

T- The coffee is the first thing through. Big coffee taste, w/ strong hints of chocolate. The bitterness of the hops comes through which is like I am drinking black coffee. I must say that I like it.

M- What I would expect from a stout of this strenght. Really nice body. Not over-powering in the mouth, but not too thin either. For 8% it is awesome

O-A really great breakfast stout. Like I said I wish I had waited till breakfast, but am glad I had it now. The coffee and chocolate are really greatly balance.

I have been on a coffee beer kick recently so this was a fantastic surprise to have shown up on my doorstep. It is an awesome beer and I am glad to have had an opportunity to give it a try. I have been seeking out Founders stuff as of recent and this was my first offering. i will surely look harder from now on.

4.49/5  rDev -0.7%

Shared with mah boi areich6

Have had this plenty of times just getting around to reviewing this now.

A- Pours very dark in the air and sits epically black in the glass. 1 finger of foamy head dissipates gradually to a 1/8" film over the top of the brew

S- Jesus..is that you?! I smell amazing sweet mocha coffee flavors with the oatmeal slipping through to say hi for a second before the coffee and chocolate take back over

T- Omg it is you!! Sweet malty coffee hits your tongue in an almost perfect way. Some chocolate but it's having trouble fighting it's way through the coffee. Amazingly in the background there are some hops! This beer has everything!

M- This is probably the worst part of the beer but thats like saying Carmelo Anthony is the worst part of the East All Stars starting 5. Some smoothness but it doesn't really keep up with how great the rest of the amazingness

O- I love this beer, Best coffee stout I've ever had. Even better on tap!

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Enjoying with my good friend pschul4

A: Pours a dark, dark brown, close to black, color. Gives about a centimeter of tan colored head. Leaves a small amount of lacing.

S: Amazing. Thick, delicious, coffee, chocolate, and roasty scents shine through. Can't wait to try.

T: Fantastic. All of the flavors that are mentiond on the bottles label are evident. The strongest being coffee with the chocolate and oatmeal coming through as the coffee flavor disappoints. Ends with a suprising and pleasant amount of hoppy bitterness.

M: Fairly viscous and creamy, compliments the taste nicely. Personally, however, I would like it to be just a little bit thicker.

O: This is in the top 3 best coffee beers I've ever head. Practically perfect beer.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

11/11/2011 vintage reviewed on 04/02/2012. 12 oz bottle into a coffee mug. How fitting!

A - Pitch black body. 2 finger mocha head that dies down to some light edging and a faint cap.

S - Milk chocolate and roasted coffee beans. Some faint vanilla and oats.

T - Sweet milk chocolate and bitter coffee beans. Despite the few months of age the coffee is still very strong, although it was much more intense when fresh. Vanilla and an oatmeal stout like finish. Mouth feel is medium bodied.

O - Delicious! Its even good with a few month son it, but I won't be waiting too much longer to finish the rest of these.

08/01/2012 vintage, sampled on 08/15/2012...making it two weeks old. 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Same as the 2011

S - Massive coffee bean aroma. Super fresh and roasty. A chocolaty finish with some notes of the oats used. Just a touch of warming alcohol.

T - Unbelievably well rounded. Roasted coffee beans, milk chocolate, and oats which give the beer a full texture.

O - I've aged this beer for up to a year in the past, but that's probably because I've never had it this fresh. Don't age it. The fresher the better. The coffee is just spot on and the oats and milk chocolate just perfect it.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

From a six-pack into a standard pint glass.

A: Deep black with tinges of ruby around the edges

S: Sweet vanilla notes and a coffee tang

T: Wow. Coffee and creamy sweetness dominate. Toasty malt backbone with a hint of booze. The taste lingers, but never quite disappears.

M: Oily, Thick, Sharp

O: Awesome! My favorite stout.

Reviewed from notes.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company