Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,151
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros

Bottled 10/23/09, drank for breakfast 10/24/10.

Consumed straight from bottle, served ice cold.

Of course, this is not the proper way to drink this one, but its not my first.

Nice blast of roasted coffee that mellows out into a creamy chocolate resin, coating the tongue. Aromas of cocoa powder and roasted coffee bean surprisingly detectable from the bottle top. Great flavor and balance overall, coffee has better integration in the brew after one year of waiting. What's for lunch?

Tripphop, Oct 24, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

I decided to help myself to a fresh bottle of FBS for review #25! Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - near opaque black. Pours with a tiny tan head and recedes to just a thin ring with light lacing.

S - The aroma is colossal - fresh coffee, milk chocolate, oatmeal, buttercream.

T - So many big flavors - the coffee is leading the charge. It isn't an intense bitter coffee, but something like a light roast without any stray coffee grounds to add any bitter. Chocolate and oatmeal pair together to create smooth, silky dessert like texture and flavor that gets me all hot and bothered. Citrusey hops bust out in the finish, showcasing lemony and orangey goodness.

M - Milky, creamy, smooth mouthfeel. I absolutely love it.

D - The flavors mesh so well together, I can't stop drinking this. They might as well make this Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner stout (rimshot!) Caution: you cannot taste the alcohol whatsoever at 8.3%, so watch out.

drewba, Oct 24, 2010

A - Thick pour. Jet black, a bit hazy looking. Looks like oil. Huge tan frothy head that sticks like a mofo. Pillowy. Incredible looking.

S - Oh my lord. Coffee and chocolate. Roasted and smoky. Robust smelling. You can smell the alcohol a bit. I can't imagine this smelling better.

T - Everything on the nose and more. Lives up to the excitement that had built on seeing and smelling this beer. A nice bourbon'ish alcohol tinge on the end that makes it the most pleasantly warming beer I've ever encountered. This is perfect.

M - Thick, thick. Dry as can be. Creamy and chewy.

D - Very drinkable. I wish I could drink this all night, though it might mean I end up destroying things. This is my 100th beer review and this is the best beer I've tried to date. If only it were more findable.

jmerloni, Oct 23, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Had on tap at sunset bar and grill on a recent trip to new England. I was excited to finally try a founders brew.
Pours a deep brown/black color with a nice brown head. Great retention and lacing.
Aroma is almost all coffee. Smells amazing. Definitely chocolate as well. At this point I already knew I loved this beer.
Strong coffee and chocolate flavors. The coffee in this beer tastes better than any coffee I've ever had. Just all around tastey. Both milk and dark chocolate flavors but predominantly dark.
Its medium/heavy bodied with a bit of creaminess.
A very drinkable stout. Goes down very easy especially considering the amount of bold flavors and body it has to it. Overall very happy I had the opportunity to try this and could easily see myself having this for breakfast every day. That is if I could ever score any in Cali. Breakfast of champions!

tang3nt, Oct 22, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Served in a snifter at Durty Nellie's.

Got a tip from a friend this was on-tap nearby. Yay. It pours a solid black topped by a finger of nice tan foam. The nose comprises chocolate (both dark and milk), coffee, roasted malts, and molasses. The taste follows this pre-beaten path, though the molasses is diminished, the chocolate seems entirely dark, and the coffee lends a nice bit o' bitterness with its roastedness. The body is a rather hefty medium, with a light carbonation and a chewy feel. Overall, a very tasty brew; not necessarily as awesome as the barrel-aged varieties, but more than strong enough as it is.

TMoney2591, Oct 22, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

I will say this up front, I am not a stout guy. I normally can't drink a full bottle of a stout. I have had 2 that I liked...this is one of them.

A: Darkness, brown head that doesn't stick around for a long time, but laces nicely as I drink. 4

S: Really smells like I'm about to drink some coffee with a little chocolate in it. Earthy tones as well. 4.5

T: I was ready to hate the taste. I really was. But wow, I get the hype. Smooth chocolate starts it off, like a melted candy bar. Then it takes a backseat to the coffee, which isn't too dry or too much like coffee, its just an enjoyable flavor. Then it all subsides to a wonderful aftertaste. 4.5

MF: Full bodied and heavy. Creamy, but smooth. 4.5

D: Very high for a stout. This beer should be enjoyed as long as possible. 5

A LOT has changed since the review above. This was one of my "gateway" stouts, which are now my absolute favorite. I am now reviewing a 1 year old bottle, dated "9/10/10". I should get around to re-reviewing a fresh one as well!

A: The appearance is pretty much the same. Deep, dark brown pour with a light brown head. Not a great retention, but the lacing is great. 4

S: The coffee, as expected, has really stepped back. This has become a chocolate bomb with hints of vanilla and molasses. 4

T: Gotta say the taste has stepped back already on this guy. I remember fresh FBS being absolutely top notch, this taste is ordinary. Chocolate, molasses, a bit watery. Reminds me a lot of their Imperial Stout, but not quite as good. The defining characteristics that made this a great beer have gone. 3

MF: Not quite as full bodied, certainly still creamy. Carbonation is still fine but the finish is not as dry. 4

O: This category has changed since last time! Drinkability is fine, but overall this aged version is but a small glimmer of its former phenomenal self, but I do still like it. 4

russwbeck, Oct 22, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2%

I have liked all brews from Founders so I decided to give this one a go.

Pours into a dark brown/black color with a brown head that slithers down the side of the glass and is almost paper thin.

Has a really good smell, mocha chocolate bombards your nose.

Tastes of mocha chocolate hints of oatmeal.

Has a nice mouthfeel, med to med/light. Goes down smooth like all Founders beverages.

Has a really nice drinkability at 8.3% don't know how many I would have but I could easily put a few down.

I would highly recomend this stout, def. tasty.

Landfill21, Oct 22, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

Served in a snifter at Durty Nellie's in Palatine, IL

I had to try this bad boy on tap, I knew in advance that it should be a fairly nice brew. It pours a nice black with a tan finger of head. The smell is mainly of smoked malts and coffee, with a bit of whiskey in the back. The taste is mainly whiskey and smoke. There are hints of both vanilla and roasted chocolate. This is a fairly smooth beer, but the alcohol is astringent on the palate. In spite of that it's still rather smooth and a extraordinarily nice drinking beer. Overall it is one of the better recommendations that I can make for any beer.

Vdubb86, Oct 21, 2010

Consumed 10/16/10

Poured into tulip glass

A: Black, oily, silky, with a tan foamy cap of head on top.

S: Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, earthiness, oats.

T: Rich, milky chocolate. Almost like a cocoa fondue with hints of coffee and dark chocolate mixed in. Good balance of bitter. Everything becomes more pronounced when it warms. I prefer it at room temperature.

F: Silk. Pretty full mouthfeel, not quite as thick as I'd like. Not too much prickle.

D: For 8.3%, scary. Could kill a 4-pack easily on a cold night.

awalk1227, Oct 21, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours opaque black with a thin mocha head that settles to a ring around the edge of the glass. Nice lacing. Smell is coffee. Hang on, I am sure there is something else.... Nope, just coffee. Maybe a hint of hops, but everything is overshadowed by a fresh brewed coffee smell. Taste is bitter coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts and a slight hop bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is thick and slightly coating, with a light/medium carbonation. Drinkability is good for the style despite the overpowering coffee flavor (I happen to love coffee). Gets much more balanced as it warms.

nkersten, Oct 21, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Dark and thick. Average carbonation with a head that fell away pretty quickly.

S- Chocolate and roasted malts. A bit of alcohol and coffee.

T- Very bittersweet. Heavy on the cocoa as well as the coffee. Dark roast and dark chocolate. Gives a great bitter burnt taste. Some notes of oatmeal as well. Very tasty.

M- Medium full body. Very creamy and smooth. Nice and dry to the extent where it feels like your mouth has been laced with cocoa and coffee.

D- Extremely drinkable. The 8.3% was there, but I don't think I'd notice it unless I looked really hard. I'm reviewing the second of my three bottles that have been aged for a year. The first didn't take to well to it, but the second is incredibly smooth and maintained the flavor. I plan to review it again fresh and compare.

**FRESH TASTING RESULTS**
It seems to taste a little less harsh than I remember from last years brew. The 2009 seemed to be a bit more assertive. 2010's didn't seem as bitter to me either. I'd have rated this brew the same in all regards though, as the aged 2009 bottles I had a couple months ago. I bumped up the Smell rating as either the new one smells nicer, or the fresh aroma is preferable.

BBP, Oct 20, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours the color of Texas Gold, with a deep brown head. I can't help but sit there and look at it, eagerly anticipating the rest of the Founder's Breakfast Stout experience. Let's hope I'm not disappointed. Hmmm... The smell, wow, just wow. A wonderful coffee aroma emits from glass, with a hint of sweet chocolate. My god, The taste is even better than the smell. It's a bit chewy, and exceptionally creamy. It tastes like smooth coffee, with espresso and dark dark chocolate thrown in, with the faintest amount of hops coming through in the aftertaste. I had nearly peed my pants when I saw this sitting on the shelf of my local beer and wine store, and boy it did not disappoint. I'll definitely be coming back for more. I try to not throw out 4's and 5's all willy nilly in my reviews, but this beer is worthy of the praise and hype.

ramseye4, Oct 20, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Finally got my hands on some FBS! Pours dark black in color with NO transparency at all. Small dark tan head that fades quickly but leaves very nice lacing.

Aroma is incredible. Coffee and chocolate are prominent. Teases with sweetness and a slight hint of dark fruit.

Taste does not dissapoint. Coffee, caramel, chocoalte. I only get a slight taste of oatmeal, but enough. The great surprise is the bitterness; very well done. Like a very GOOD cuppa joe.

Mouthfeel is great. Not harsh, no substantial presence of alcohol. Again, well done.

High abv but not as high as some other stouts. I would only put this a few notches below KBS. Highly recommend.

FanofHefe, Oct 18, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Received as an extra from shaebs99 in the Nice Cans II BIF. Thanks again!

Poured into a snifter.

A - maybe the best looking glass of beer I've ever seen. It truly does look like coffee with some deep, dark brown head on top and thick, heavy lacing that sticks to the glass as it swirls.

S - chocolate! coffee! vanilla, oatmeal, molasses. Freaking outstanding!

T - everything that my nose detected plus some slight hop and espresso bitterness. Alcohol? Not a trace!

M - a real treat for the palate. A ton of delicious flavors thickly coating every inch of my mouth. Carbonation is great, maybe even a little too much, but this calms down after letting the brew sit and warm closer to room temp.

D - I could drink this all day and night (or until I eventually passed out, which would be an eventual certainty with 8.3% ABV)

GabrielM, Oct 17, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into snifter, served at 55 degrees F.

A- Jet black body with an ample, thick frothy/bubbly chocolate brown head, about 2 inches tall. Gradually, it faded into a light head and then just lace. Light carbonation.

S- Smelled strong of coffee with hints of chocolate and a light alcohol after smell.

T- The taste was exactly what I had hoped for, it smells like it looks. Amazing. Coffee with chocolate is all I can say.

M- Swirling it around in the mouth, its not too heavy, not too light. A little carbonation. it feels like coffee!

D- The drinkability of this fine brew is almost scary. I could sit and drink this particular brew all winter long, and if my local suppliers could keep it stocked, I would.

kreeper, Oct 17, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to given2flybrewing for this one!

Drank this from a tulip on while brewing my first beer. Pitch black with brown edges and a nice khaki head. No lacing, very little head.

Coffee in the forefront on the nose. Bittersweet chocolate and the smell of dried fruit and nuts in the background. Very intriguing.

Coffee flavors well pronounced. Mild chocolate flavors with a good bit of nuttiness. Oatmeal is in the background, providing a good bit of balancing. Sweet finish, bittersweet chocolate returns and good fruity flavor, raisins or dried plums come to mind.

Very mild carbonation with a great mouthfeel that lingers. Alcohol is very well masked, but the thickness would make me only try one at a time.

Cheesemoose, Oct 16, 2010

12 oz bottle poured into a Darkness snifter

A - Jet black, small dark brown head, very good lacing

S - Dark chocolate, freshly roasted coffee, touch of lactose, cinnamon

T - Coffee beans, chocolate malted milk balls --> piny hops and a touch of molasses --> loads of dark chocolate and espresso on the finish, which is bitter and sweet and lasting and very memorable. Awesome stout - it hardly gets better than this.

M - Light-to-medium body, yet creamy, yet easy going down. Very nicely carbonated. Feels great to swish back and forth, enjoying all of the flavors.

D - Very drinkable for such a complex brew - two of these is no problem, and that's saying a lot for me.

klikger, Oct 16, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Super dark brown and black, great 1" head, a little tan, impressive retention. Aroma, chocolate and coffee.

Taste, so smooth, thank you oats, massively chocolately. Massive. Coffee is there, but subdued in terms of its astringency and bitterness from the smooth oats. Remarkably straight forward. So much chocolate. Great as it warms, never a challenge, just pure enjoyment.

This stuff is so easy to drink. Easily in my top 5 favorite non bbl aged stouts. I've never had a bottle that was compromised, always so consistent.

Beerandraiderfan, Oct 15, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

i'm surprised i hadn't put my two cents on this one. A nice ender and that would work well as your only beer for the night as it is decadent yet balanced in the face of sweet and grounded savor notes. Sour is as it should be with a healthy head of rather dark foam. Nose is a one dimensional but solid toast coffee malt wonderful. Boozy warm with a coffee grounds grit. I've had doubles with more latitude but this is a feeling of camping out there somewhere with nothing but a sleeping bag and a pot of cowboy coffee. A close friends cabin sipper.

rtepiak, Oct 15, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this bottle.

The brew pours pitch black with a mocha head.

Smells of coffee, that's pretty much the nose for me on this one.

Interesting taste on this stout. I can taste bitter coffee, mocha, chocolate, there is a slight astringent taste from the coffee. There is a light hop bitterness in the finish. I am not a fan of hopped imperial stouts, this beer has the perfect amount of hop bitterness. The alcohol has a presence, a little much for a brew that is just over 8%.

A nice medium mouthfeel, a fairly full bodied brew.

This is a good beer. I had this beer a little hyped up in my mind because it is my first Founder's brew. I would definitely grab some more if I had the chance. Can't wait to try their other offerings.

alpineclimber, Oct 15, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Super deep brown, not quite black with a billowing brown head that has good retention, and gobs of lacing down the glass.

S - A touch of grassy hops, but then its all rich roasted coffee with a touch of dark chocolate.

T - Rich dark chocolate, then milk chocolate, and finishes with a big blast of roasted coffee.

M - Full body, delicate low carbonation, super smooth and creamy across the palate with a touch of dark chocolate bitterness in the aftertaste.

D - Turns into a sipper after a glass, but the taste and mouthfeel are excellent. Full body, but it never gets "chewy" or syrupy. Well done. I will get this again.

garuda, Oct 15, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. The beer pours like jet-black oil out of the bottle. A chocolate colored one-finger head results from the pour. The bubbles in the head are quite large and makes the froth look like what happens after you blow into chocolate milk with a straw. Great retention and lacing.

Smell: Toasted malt, chocolate, tobacco, molasses, brown sugar, and coffee are just some of the scents vying for my attention. I would describe the aroma as more bitter than sweet, which I like. The oatmeal is definitely in the background, but not as up-front as the other scents. Could be due to the age of the bottle; I think it's only a couple of months old, so I would be interested to see this thing after several months of aging.

Taste: There's definitely substantial body, but not nearly as heavy as I thought it would be, given the oily pour and all. Lots of bitter coffee and tobacco up front. All the elements found in the aroma are there and no one thing is overpowering; however, I fell like a lot of the deeper, sweeter elements aren't as prominent as they were in the smell. Again, probably should have let this one sit a little longer before enjoying.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied, bitter, and delicious. The alcohol is also hidden very well.

Drinkability: Goes down fairly easy. I think this particular bottle was a tad green, and many of the bitter characteristics could become a bit persistent after a couple of these.

BuckyFresh, Oct 14, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter. (4 Pack)

A: Pours a jet black with a half finger tan head that disappears yet leaves lacing.
S: Coffee, dark chocolate, and plenty of roastiness.
T: Espresso up front with bitter chocolate and roasted malts in the middle and sweet chocolate and more coffee on the finish.
M: Heavy body with medium carbonation, feels almost as if it is cloying.
D: It's an imperial stout, but not as heavy as some other 10%+ abv monsters are, so easy drinking for what it is.

stimulus, Oct 14, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4%

I enjoyed this much more than the KBS but it's a different drink without the bourbon.

A: Poured damn near black and had about an inch of chocolate colored head, nice brown shade. Exactly the same look as the KBS side by side.

S: This is the brews strongest feature... everything good at breakfast is in every smell you get... mmm chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal for breakfast anyone, you can enjoy this by just smelling it.

T: Mainly a smoky coffee taste with a bit of a chocolate background with a little bit of an ending taste of maple oatmeal.

M: Unlike the KBS you can't really taste the alcohol but it's good to know it's there. It's extremely smooth and gives you a creamy espresso feel as it runs over your tongue.

D: Along with most Founders beers this is expensive but not nearly as expensive as the KBS as I picked up a single for only $3.25 and enjoyed it more than the KBS which cost me over $6 so it's amazingly great!

revolt914, Oct 13, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Pours a pitch black with a toasted brown head. Kind of like, (surprise, surprise) A nice strong cup of coffee.

S- One of this beers strongest features. Sweet chocolaty oatmeal smell. Make sure to take a good sniff before each sip.

T- Chocolate and oatmeal again. With a strong coffee aftertaste, that lingers for awhile. Which is great, because you do not want this beer to end.

M- Feels wonderful on the palate. Not overpowering. Can't really taste the alcohol. Definitely a beer I could drink in the morning.

D. Originally had this rated lower then a 5, but had to bump it up as I continued to drink. Careful though the ABV, (8.5) and price (cost me $13 for the four pack.) will make you think twice about throwing these back to freely. Plus, this a beer you want to sip, and enjoy over time.

ZacharyJ, Oct 13, 2010