Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,129
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
willPS21

West Virginia

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Solid 93% from me. However, age it, age it, age it. The flavors are not nearly as developed in a relatively fresh one I had. It is far better in early spring after the winter. Right now it seems a bit more disjointed and spicy as the flavors are moving through their paces after you swallow, but are each too "raw" and are tuned to a cedar-like intensity. Still I find this beer more drinkable than the KBS which I basically split with someone and have my fill. I think by spring this batch should be just as good as the last.

09-14-2010 00:51:26 | More by willPS21
NODAK

Tennessee

3.7/5  rDev -18.1%

Smell is rich...very rich. Very deep coffee notes with some bitter chocolate there as well. As rich as an aroma can be.

Pours absolutely black with a thin, tan head. Looks viscous coming out of the bottle.

The taste follows the aroma pretty closely. Carbonation is a bit higher than I figured an imperial stout would be. Taste is predominately of powerful coffee notes, with some pretty bitter chocolate paired with it. The oats give this a bit of creaminess that's welcomed. There's a minimal amount of hop bitterness on the backend but it's pretty inconsequential. After the swallow, bitter coffee lingers for a while...like just having taken a swig of cold coffee.

Going in, I questioned if I'd like this beer. Coming out, I can't fault it for what it is, since it's labeled as a "double chocolate oatmeal coffee stout". The coffee and chocolate notes are done well, and firmly.

09-13-2010 04:09:02 | More by NODAK
Phelps

Arizona

Another great bottle shared by the uber-generous tlay10. Poured into my brand-spanking-new Bruery tulip.

Looks: inky. Pours a deep sable with a medium-bubbled head the color of dark cinnamon. The head dissipates slowly, but becomes a ring with film in due time.

Smells: like the coffee aisle. Nicely bitter espresso with cream, along with some bacon, steak, charcoal and oats.

Tastes: charred. Along with the flavors described above, we have steak gristle, black coffee and a tiny amount of sweet cream.

Feels: foamy. The carbonation is medium-high and the body is medium-light until it explodes with foam as it moves about the mouth.

Drinks: living under the shadow of its big brother KBS, it's easy to overlook Breakfast Stout. But that would be a mistake; this beer is quaffable, tasty and a fantastic display of breakfast flavors.

09-12-2010 19:19:25 | More by Phelps
IronCitySteve

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Had on tap at Smokin' Joe's on Pittsburgh's Southside. I have to say, after one taste, this was the best tasting Stout I have ever had.

A: Pours a thick black color, with a moderate one finger foam head that sticks around for most of the taste. There is sufficient lacing as well.

S: Lots of chocolate, coffee, vanilla with a small amount of alcohol. Extremely sweet smelling.

T: The malt sweetness is tremendous. The coffee flavor blends nicely with the chocolate and vanilla so that sweetness is not as overpowering. Great balance! This was extremely delicious.

M: Leaves a semi sweet thick creamy feel on the palate.

D: This beer is extremely easy to drink. Despite an 8% ABV, I could enjoy several quite easily in a sitting.

09-12-2010 12:42:41 | More by IronCitySteve

American Double/Imperial Stout
8.3% ABV
OG?
60 IBUs
12 oz bottle, bottled August 30, 2010, poured into a New Belgium snifter on September 11, 2010.

Appearance 5/5
Pours impenetrable black with a big, creamy, dark mocha colored head, that stays throughout the course of the beer; although the head did recede from its initial glory, it left an excellent lacing. No beer is actually black and this one was clear dark brown at the edges. Looks the way a stout ought to look.

Aroma 4/5
Intense coffee and some malty sweetness; thing smells more like coffee than coffee itself. No hops. Very fitting name. Some alcohol is notable at room temperature.

Taste 4/5
Firmly coffee-bitter, with some accompanying malty sweetness. Slight coffee-ish acidity, that is enhanced as the beer warms up, and plays well with the understated malty sweetness. A powdered chocolate-ish finish with a lingering bitterness, right into the throat. Doesn't linger for too long though which brings the drinkability to maximum. Overall, the finish is medium with some residual sweetness, and *none* of the ashtray character of over-roasted coffee. Hops are mute in this one, which is probably good. To me, this is an style by itself, so the idea of having any hop aroma or taste seems out of accord. No booziness at all at any temperature even though I could sense some in aroma when the beer was warm. This is coffee in a stout: I don't detect much roast or any hops; everything about this stout seems like coffee riding over a solid beer, and very well integrated. The only reason this doesn't get a full score is because I am comparing it to the elder brother, KBS.

Mouthfeel 5/5
It's probably the oatmeal, but this one has the silkiness of a stout on cask. Medium carbonation, which is fitting. It is warming. I have had too many "big" beers to call the body huge, but in all honesty, this is above average in general, and fitting for a stout, if not exceptionally "imperial".

Drinkability 5/5
Very very good. For this body and this ABV, this beer goes down very easy. It can be had fast, which is dangerous! It's like the "hard" version of some coffee based drink (can't name because I like my coffee black and don't have much experience)

Other
I haven't given this one a straight 5, although I think it is exceptional. However, Founders KBS is better. This beer lacks the complexity of its big brother in the aroma & taste department. Yet, I know that I am underrating this one.

09-12-2010 07:49:45 | More by tewaris
seh410

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Pitch black and thick with literally no head whatsoever... Not sure why

Aroma: Coffee, chocolate, sweet alcohol notes and a little burnt bitterness in the background

Taste/Mouthfeel: Rich coffee and milk chocolate, burnt and roasted dark malts. Mouthfeel is creamy, silky and coats tongue.

Notes: Very tasty, very drinkable. Tastes like a delicious coffee chocolate beverage.

09-12-2010 01:50:15 | More by seh410
TKEbeerman

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into my pint glass this brew pours deep space black with a small tan head that is quick to dissipate. Seems like my glass might be a little oily, thankfully I have multiple of these brews.

S: This brew is a coffee explosion. Unlike some stouts of this nature, FBS is rich and refined. The coffee is backed up with a smooth smelling chocolate base. Toasty oats keep this brew well balanced.

T: As with the nose, coffee is the main flavor note, but is well refined and not harsh. Dark chocolate matched with a hopped bitterness make this brew something special.

MF/D: The mouthfeel is medium, but a little on the light side. I would have liked something a little more viscous. The drinkability, however, is superior. Impossibly flavorful and smooth, I feel like I can really drink this one for breakfast.

Overall, I want to thank lurchingbeast for this trade. I've had KBS before, and unfortunately didn't have the chance to review it yet. KBS, by the way, is the ultimate stout. Lurchingbeast secured me 4 of these babys and and another 3 KBS'. It really is amazing that Founders can take FBS, which can hold it's own against the Dark Lords, and Speedways, and mold it into a beer that will blow your mind. MMHMHMHHMH Breakfast Stout!!!

09-10-2010 16:17:13 | More by TKEbeerman
optimistictour

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

After a half year wait I've finally got my hands on the legendary Breakfast Stout and I'll say right off the bat that I'm highly impressed and will recommend this beer to any and everyone I consider a friend. It's not only that good - it's accessible as hell too.

Approach the bottle, marvel at the inky blackness pouring into the glass, the subtle head which quickly recedes into a beautiful lace, and the absolute lack of color playing in the light. For the style, this is an above-exceptional look and the prime motivator for anyone in the vicinity to ask that I share. They can buy their own.

One of the best smelling beers I've discovered, it's almost all iced-coffee and super dark chocolate at first, expanding to hint at nearly everything in the bottle with a deep breath. This is what I'd consider majorly inviting.

As the bottle says straightforwardly: "double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout," this one hits those notes precisely, if not exactly in that order. First off is sharp coffee on the tip of the tongue - but a good coffee. I've tried at least a dozen "java" or otherwise coffee-themed beers and almost all have a gas-station "espresso" taste to them - ie. not really coffee. This one tastes like the real deal and satisfies accordingly. Next comes the chocolate and it comes on solidly but never overwhelming. This is no milkshake. Finally everything is tied together with the true smoothness of an oatmeal stout like Samuel Smith's or another of it's ilk - this aspect really solidifies the taste on a level above most of its peers.

Mouthfeel is a total knockout with the Breakfast Stout. Coating the tongue and working its way outward, every taste receptor feels stood to attention. Smooth yet full, thick but never even close to overwhelming... this brew goes down so easily I'm almost tempted to gulp my way to the next glass. But that would be robbing me of the exquisite experience of savoring the beer and inevitably lead to a morning headache since the 8.3% abv is completely subverted and masked. As I said to a friend after a couple of them, "Children could drink this!" Please note that 'could' is very different from 'should' - thank you.

All in all I must say that despite any skepticism I held, Founders Breakfast Stout delivers wholeheartedly on its promise (and hype) as one of the best beers around. The only downside is its limited availability so be sure to grab a few packs this fall and thoroughly enjoy yourself. Just be sure to cellar a few as every indication is that this one ages brilliantly.

09-10-2010 04:34:39 | More by optimistictour
DaveBlack

4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Dark brown, almost black. Brown head, not too much of it and it disappears quickly

S: LOTS of coffee and an underlying sweet chocolate aroma. Very rich and roasty

T: Wow. Unbelievable. Deep, rich and complex. Lots of chocolate and coffee. Not sure what the ABV is on this but it tastes pretty high. Usually that's fairly off-putting but somehow it works with this flavor profile.

M: Not much carbonation, thick but not very sticky. Feels lighter than most beers that are this dark.

D: Really great. I couldn't drink more than one or two in a sitting, but I could probably drink no other beer for the rest of my life and die a happy man.

Overall, this is definitely a beer that I would go out of my way to get. It's a little pricey, but definitely worth it.

09-10-2010 03:16:49 | More by DaveBlack
mklinger

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

2008 bottle that represents the first FBS I've ever had. I poured it into a 12 oz snifter. Color is jet black -- no light at all comes through even when held to a very bright light. 1/2 inch rich brown head formed then dissipated. Solid looking beer.

Aroma is fantastic. Strong chocolate and molasses components. Smells like a freshly baked molasses cookie with warm chocolate chips in it. Also some slight coffee and toasted bread character at the end. Really fantastic in its depth and richness.

First taste is rich a sweet, not cloying but definitely sweet. This actual dries out pretty quickly then when the carbonation, roasted flavors, and bitterness hit the palate. There's chocolate in the taste, but less than would be expected from the aroma. More coffee character comes through -- I suspect the decent amount of hop bitterness helps enhance this coffee character.

Mouthfeel is somewhat lighter than I expected (and this is a good thing). There's quite good carbonation here that lightens the body of the beer nicely making it not feel heavy or cloying. Surprising how dry it finishes. This is a highly drinkable imperial stout -- massively flavorful but no real hint of strong alcohol. It feels like a beer you could sit down and drink a couple of pints of. Really excellent beer that I greatly enjoyed.

09-10-2010 01:50:56 | More by mklinger
BMan1113VR

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

Have had this many times. Ultra thick pour. Large rocky, dark brown head that leaves good lacing. Body is black as sin. Aroma is strong coffee, oatmeal, some vanilla and light chocolate. Taste is strong coffee, and finishes with bitterness from chocolate, and some oatmeal, as well as light tobacco. Alcohol is well hidden. Creamy mouthfeel, light bubbles.

09-09-2010 21:46:22 | More by BMan1113VR
HURTemHIZZY

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

I walked into the Lost Dog Cafe in Arlington, VA for the first time not knowing whether I would be excited about any of their offerings. It didn't take long for me to find this one, just like it didn't take long for me to fall in love with the Lost Dog Cafe.

Pours an incredibly viscous, opaque black with a one-finger tan head that dissipates slightly but maintains a nice rim around the glass until the beer is finished. Leaves some lacing down the glass, but not a ton.

Smell is dominated by coffee, with notes of bittersweet chocolate, milk chocolate, caramel, and vanilla making themselves noticed. Nice smell.

Taste follows suit with the aroma, but the coffee dominates even a little bit more. HUGE notes of roast coffee linger throughout the tasting notes, with the same chocolate and caramel notes making themselves noticed. A slight hop spice also helps keep the flavor interesting. I have never had a stout with this level of coffee flavor. I enjoyed it, but think I need to have a couple more over the next couple nights to really decide whether it is something I would actively seek out again. I thought the strong coffee notes were actually a bit off putting at first, but they really grew on me the more and more I went through.

Amazing mouthfeel, creamy and viscous, with a perfect level of carbonation.

EDIT: Just had my second bottle of the four pack, and it has already begun to grow on me. Taste rating upped from a 3.5 to a 4.

09-07-2010 18:06:14 | More by HURTemHIZZY
ptykozoon

Pours black (awesome) with no head but some nice lacing on the sides and foam islands.

Smell is dominated by rich roatiness. Coffee first, chocolate second. Not much else, the coffee does smell pretty f'n good though.

Tastes like the nose, lots of roasty bitter coffee in this one. Milky chocolate cocoa and syrupy sweets. Some stouts of this nature can be flawed by having one flavor dominate all others, therefore leading to a one-dimensional taste. This beer does have a lot of roasty coffee going on but it is not quite to the point of no return. Overall very good.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, not as thick as I thought it would be. This is an 09' as well so the abv isn't even an issue here.

I enjoyed this one, I can see why it is so popular. Whenever I have a cocoa coffee craving I'll know where to look.

09-07-2010 04:08:17 | More by ptykozoon
popery

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Very good beer. Enormous light brown head, just a tower of foam. The liquid is nearly wall-to-wall black. Some dark brown peeks around the corners. The aroma is rich with black coffee and chocolate. Some caramel sweetness is also evident. The flavor is good, but a bit sweet and sorta washed out compared to the aroma. The coffee seems to get in the way in taste, unlike aroma where the coffee blends well. It just ends a little blandly coffee bitter and overpowers the other flavors. The feel is creamy and very smooth. Although I very much enjoyed the beer, the whole isn't quite greater than the parts.

09-06-2010 07:27:57 | More by popery
LiquidCucumber

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pitch black with a small mocha head that looks nice and creamy. I kind of want to grab a spoon.

S - The first thing is a strong hit of coffee to the nose, followed by chocolate, floral hops, and mellow malts.

T - Sweet creamy chocolate mixed with bitterness from both the coffee and hops, it's really what coffee should always taste like...

M - Like I said above, creamy and sweet, coats your mouth with a pleasant layer of malty chocolate which tingles on the tongue. A very excellent brew.

09-06-2010 04:14:31 | More by LiquidCucumber
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

12oz bottle (bottled on 08.27.10) poured into snifter.
A: A deep black body, that of a fresh pot of strong coffee, great sign and a head of rich caramel, that rises and falls into a thin layer. Lacing is spares and left in a foamy, unordered fashion.
S: Roasted notes of dark, black coffee are welcoming and pleasant. A bold medium to full bodied aroma. A mellow finish on the aroma that denotes chocolate. As brew warms the notes of coffee and chocolate great even more intense.
T/M: Tart is on the complete other end of the spectrum of this beer and bold, rich flavors are all that dominate. Coffee off the nose give way to a rich chocolate experience that is very worth the while. Mouthfeel is a rich and creamy, silky sensation.
D: The ABV is hidden so well that I cannot find any boozy aspects to this brew. taste like coffee with chocolate is a perfect carbonation form. I could drink this one every time I crave coffee, every morning?? Well a great blend of coffee and chocolate that is in stout form.

09-06-2010 03:25:13 | More by GDBEERMAN
ncaudle

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Black. Sludge black. Nice thick 1/2" of a tannish head.

Oatmeal permeates everything backed up with an exceptional coffee been aroma. Darts of dark bitter chocolate peak through the cereal.

I half expected to withhold the last 1/2" or so from the bottle, looking for a thick yeast cake, it's so thick.

If only breakfast was this good every day...

edit:
I have also had this on tap. I prefer the bottle.
The tap felt thinner and less creamy.
This was the only time I have had it on tap.

09-05-2010 23:05:54 | More by ncaudle
Khazadum

3.2/5  rDev -29.2%

Ahh, what a couple months. From the start of my craft brew career to my current status this beer has haunted me. I started with it and now I hit it up again after educating myself for quite some time. Poured into my brandy snifter once more, a fresh batch versus a few months old.

Vision
Pitch black void body with dual toned froth. Not much carbonation and head as I would have liked, but a bit did develop. Most of the cream and mocha bubbles have floated away, but a nice noodle thin bracelet hugs the edge of my glass. Decent lacing can be noted with a few patches of bubbles holding on to dear life around the edges. With a bit more carbonation this would be good to look at.

Bouquet
Intensely smoky. I feel like a cigarette was blown into my face, unfortunately. It isn't campfire or burnt grain. It is nicotinic in nature for my nostrils. Overwhelming to the point that I almost missed the chocolate. The coffee is melded into the initial aromas. It takes quite a bit of effort to weasel out what is the cigarette and what is the coffee.

Flavor Profile
Just like the nose, the flavor opens up intensely smoky. It isn't as carcinogenic in taste, but still reminds me of a cigarette. The coffee is extremely faint. It comes through in the common bitterness of black coffee, but the other flavors I normally find in coffee stouts are missing.

I would say it is more a chocolate and smoke beer than anything else. The finish is quite lovely, though, reminiscent of quality dark chocolate melted in my mouth five minutes ago.

Oral Sensations
This is probably where this beer shines the most. It floats into my mouth like a tongue snuggy. Its full bodied presence leaves interesting resides on my palate, lips, and teeth. They are the evolved molecules of the liquid. Positively enjoyable and with little drawbacks.

When sipping this beer, I find it to be one of the smoothest stouts I have had to date. It has minimal tingling due to carbonation, and flows with the greatest of ease around my mouth and esophagus.

Conclusions
An interesting beer. It is almost exactly like I remembered from months ago. The flavors are quite underwhelming, although unique. The aromas are nauseating in a health perspective sense and yet... I still find myself feeling like I may drink another in the future.

A side note really quick, the 8.3% alcohol seems to be a lie. I feel this alcohol in both mind and body faster than beers labeled at a higher alcohol than this. It is definitely a strong buzz forming from a single bottle of this brew.

It is not a beer I would want anytime soon again, but I feel that is a lie. Maybe it really does have nicotine in this bad boy. My brain tells me I shouldn't want another, but my body craves it. I know it is not good, but I find I can't say no to another sip.

09-05-2010 01:28:25 | More by Khazadum
AaronHomoya

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

Mmmm... beer for breakfast. Love this on a Saturday morning with some biscuits and bear-sausage gravy!

This is a great stout. Near-black color with a fine lacing of tan head on top. Smells like coffee, dark chocolate and a bit of earthy hops. Taste is so good and smooth! Full of the same flavors and a satisfying roastiness. The mouthfeel I feel is a slight bit thin, but overall this is such a great, drinkable beer. I always want two, because there's no way you'd guess it's this strong.

09-04-2010 17:06:43 | More by AaronHomoya
Whiteweasel

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Drank from a pint glass, poured from a bottle.

A: Dark, pitch black. Black as hell. Reddish around the edges, but not much, even when you hold it up to the light. Completely brown head. Crazy lacing

S: Chocolate undertones, but this smells like a Starbucks more than a beer. Like freshly ground arabica beans. Hoppy, and creamy like mocha. Extremely fresh. Delicious

T: Deep black freshly brewed coffee. Like a cold mocha from Starbucks. Pure deliciousness. What a stout should be. Even though it's a little lacking in the other categories of what a stout should be, its still damn good.

M: Very boozy. Almost not at all carbonated. Heavy on the mouthfeel, but delicious.

D: Fan-effing-tastic. Probably the best stout I've had to this point. It loses points on the ABV, but its so delicious that it's worth getting trashed.

09-03-2010 02:27:58 | More by Whiteweasel
maltiavelli

Kansas

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Poured into a New Belgium goblet. There was very little carbonation. The head was actually just a few bubbles on the surface. The color was pitch midnight black. When held up to the light there was no way to see through it.

S - Very rich chocolate and coffee notes. A whiff of this makes you feel like you are sitting next to the river of chocolate at Willy Wonka's.

T - Hints of sweetness with the bitterness of chocolate and coffee. The smoothness of the oats combines all of the flavors together in a very balanced way.

M - Thick yet smooth. If I were going to make a beer milkshake I would definitely use this.

D - I will definitely pick up another pack of this when I can find it.

09-02-2010 01:17:42 | More by maltiavelli
cetherid

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

poured into a pint glass

A.

a beautiful dark stout. almost black. a nice frothy head.

S.

out of this world. smells like a frappaccino from Starbucks. a little alcohol smell but mostly coffee with hints of chocolate.

T.

incredible. has the roasted malts taste from a stout but a strong coffee flavor. A bit of bitter chocolate in there as well. the alcohol isn't as strong as you'd think.

m.

not watered down like Guinness. A nice full bodied beer.

D.

could drink this all day. of course i need to be in the mood for a little coffee. the alcohol might sneak up on you if you've had a few however. definitely a beer to sit back and relax with. i think this would be excellent with a little vanilla ice cream (serious). i could definitely see having a couple of these a week. even for "breakfast". too bad its a seasonal brew.

09-02-2010 00:53:02 | More by cetherid
Arenbeer

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks alot to mavajo for this great brew!!!

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Pours a insanely dark dark brown that is pretty much motor oil black and on top is a nice little 1 finger brown head that leaves sticky lacing.

S- Dark roasted and smoky malts with a strong coffee and chocolate background. Slight alcohol but not bad.

T- Delicious coffee and chocolate hide a perfect amount of booze and compliment a solid roasted and smoked malt backbone.

M- Full bodied with lower carbonation and a nice bitter almost firey finish from the alcohol.

SkÅL!

08-30-2010 23:36:51 | More by Arenbeer
domtronzero

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

1ooth review. Big thanks to pwoody11 for the extras he sent (this was one of them)!!

Bottled 10/23/09, poured into a New Belgium tulip glass.

A - Slightly hazy, very dark rubyish brown with a short, long-lived creamy mocha head.

S - Chocolate and coffee, a slight earthy hop aroma. Little bit of alcohol.

F/M - Dark bitter chocolate with a big wallop of coffee, too. Dark fruity pruney/raisiny esters and melanoidin flavors. Firm bitterness leads to a very smooth and clean finish. Very low earthy hops detected. Creamy, medium-full bodied with a moderately-low carbonation; perfect. Clean aftertaste with a slight lingering chocolate flavor.

D - Excellent drinkability especially for such a bold beer. The flavors are all balanced so well, and the hoppy bitterness really helps this beer go down smoothly.

08-30-2010 00:30:00 | More by domtronzero
psychotia

3.25/5  rDev -28.1%

Bottled 08/14/09

A: Great pour with a large 3 finger head that slowly settled to lace the glass after a few minutes. Oh it is black.

S: Nice blend of roasted coffee and chocolate. Probably my favorite part of this beer.

T: This is where I wasn't too happy. At this point, I'm not surprised that the coffee is almost completely gone (being over a year old), but I was quite overwhelmed with the sweetness from the chocolate/sugar. I wonder if they used any lactose (pure or in the chocolate)... regardless, it was too sweet for me and I would have preferred more balance.

M: Good. I like a slightly thicker mouthfeel, but I have no big qualms with this medium-bodied stout.

D: Well, I was ready to be done with it halfway through, but I did finish the bottle. Again, it was just too sweet. Alcohol was very well hidden though. Would never guess it was >8%.

While let down by all the hype, I realize this bottle is a year old. I'm excited to try a fresh bottle next week to see how it compares!

08-29-2010 03:11:34 | More by psychotia