Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,125
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
nomomentwasted

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

Had a bottle of this the other night and knew immediately that I was going to be sad that I couldn't have this on a regular basis.

Appearance: About what you'd expect from a stout. Dark brown-black pour with some tan-white crowning head. Laced pretty well, but nothing that blew me away either.

Smell: Rich chocolate notes come through with some toastiness as well, with the acidity of the coffee comes through more clearly as it warms up. Inviting, for sure.

Taste: Here is where it impressed me the most. Wow. Just a brilliant blend in just the right amounts of chocolate (both milk and dark), coffee, slight vanilla, and stouty darkness. Bitterness adds a little something extra, but this bottle has over a year on it and the hop present is just a little prickle on the front end. Totally, totally fantastic.

Mouthfeel: While creamy and nice, it felt just a little thinner than I would've hoped for. Still, finishes so, so smooth.

Drinkability: Up there with some of the best stouts. This is one of the few coffee stouts I could really see myself drinking over. And over. And over again. I need this beer in my life more regularly, say, with breakfast.

11-09-2009 19:42:29 | More by nomomentwasted
mcann2pu

Delaware

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

a- dark, no see through at all, one of the darkest stout's I have ever seen, 1/4th of an inch of quickly disipating dark redish tan head, almost the color of motor oil,
s- smells lightly of oats and cocca on the nose, smell of well roasted malt is present throughout, later on it picks up a very potant smell of coffe as it warms, overall quite a mouthwatering smell,
t- great taste, malt backbone is well done and holds the bitter sweet cocca taste, the oat, and the coffee taste together, first sip exposes a very complited flavor thats a lot of fun to break down as you work your way through the glass,
m-good for a stout,
d- very high for a beer with such a strong flavor,

11-09-2009 00:56:06 | More by mcann2pu
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Huge nose of coffee, roasted malts and chocolate .

Appeared pitch black coffee with a tan head that was small, but soon found the edges of the glass and hung out for a bit.

Tasted extremely strong of coffee, roasted malts, chocolate, toffee, burnt aftertaste. Very smooth, possibly smoother than Guiness, could it be? Bitter, almost acrid bite from the coffee, but smooth even after taking this into consideration. Chocolate really comes out with time and tastes stronger as it warms.

Dry and tasty - impressed with the non booziness of this at 8.3 percent, and ability to keep it from getting the usual sweetness of a double stout. Balanced with an abundance of black patent malt perhaps and roasted oatmeal.

11-09-2009 00:31:41 | More by alpinebryant
mwilbur

3.65/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.
A: Pours black as a moonless night with a nice 1/2 inch dark tan head. Oily in appearance.
S: Coffee and dark bitter chocolate hit first (coffee a bit more pronouced). Roasted malt. Char. Smells like heaven.
T: Bitter coffee with hint of chocolate. Mild roasted malt backbone. Disappointing after aroma.
M: Surprisingly light body. Bitter aftertaste. Smooth feel due to oatmeal.
D: I really, really wanted to like this one...but came away disappointed. It is tough to impart a true coffee flavor into a great beer, but still...

11-07-2009 04:55:58 | More by mwilbur
d0ggnate

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to SaCkErZ9 for a great box of coffee beers. Been wanting to try this one and the description on the bottle has me even more excited.

A: Poured a rich brown/black with litte head that disappeared before I finished typing about the appearance. Visible carbonation rises from the bottom of my glass.
S: Forward coffee and chocolate notes. Very roasty, malty, and aromas laced with cocoa.
T: Stonger malt and still very coffee rich. Chocolate flavor is well balanced with the other flavors.
M: Complexity covers my mouth, as each drink hits takes you across the spectrum of flavors and aromas found in this treat. Not as viscous as KBS, but better IMO.
D: Great beer! I wish we had the ability to buy these. I love that it is a 12oz (just enough), but I want to have 3-4 on hand at all times. Great for breakfast, late night, or just when you want a solid beer.

11-07-2009 02:16:22 | More by d0ggnate
woosterbill

Kentucky

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: A thick, smooth stream of blackness issues forth as a pour from on high produces a towering 3-inch head of rich, dense brown foam that sticks around forever and leaves tons of sticky, tawny lace. This beer is as dark a a black steer's tuckus on a moonless prairie night, and is simply a perfect expression of an imperial stout. As solid a 5 as I'll ever give for appearance. I can't wait to dive into this beer.

S: Huge wave of black coffee up front, which eventually mellows into a rounder expression of roasted malt: a hint of chocolate joins the party, as well as the slightest suggestion of plum. A solid hop bitterness is also present, and blends beautifully with the coffee foreground. Great, but the coffee is just a little too dominant to garner a perfect score.

T: Wow. Just wow. This is beer heaven. The coffee from the nose is still dominant, but it's much, much smoother and just as beautifully satisfying as I could ever have imagined. More dark fruit than was apparent in the aroma, as well as some chocolate make this a fantastically mellow and balanced experience for a beer of this style. So good.

M: Closer to medium-bodied than I would have expected, with solid carbonation. Not as rich as I might expect for the style, but certainly pleasant.

D: Simply incredible for both the style and strength, I could drink this all night (or all morning, for that matter). So smooth, so rich, so balanced, I can't get enough.

Notes: Hands-down the best imperial stout I've ever had (although I have to admit I've yet to experience any of the really big names - Kate, Darkness, Abyss, Dark Lord, etc). It clearly edges out my prior favorite Old Raspy (although that beer's greater availability and lower price will always give it a place in my fridge), and it greatly whets my appetite for KBS and CBS, as well as impy stouts in general. Awesome stuff.

Cheers!

11-06-2009 04:00:41 | More by woosterbill
peabody

Kentucky

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours out really thick and black. Very slight bubbles but I poured it really slow. Been in the Growler for 4 days.
Smell is charred malt and coffee bean. Some chocolate but it's dark and very creamy smelling.
Taste is just mellow as it can be. Wonderful cherry and dark black bitterness with a sweet maltyness combines all at once. What is left is a bitter blackness that sticks around for a long time.
Mouthfeel is very clean at first then a sticky bitter-sweet takes over till the end.
Drinkability is just perfect here. I want to drink this whole growler.
I think this is just as good and probably better than the bottle. Glad Kane at Roof Brothers in Paducah, Ky got ahold of this keg.

11-06-2009 00:51:05 | More by peabody
thorvale

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

I've only recently tried this beer a week or two ago, and has since become a favorite of mine.

This was poured into a glass from a standard 12 oz bottle.

A - Opaque and black. Sticks to the glass like syrup. Dark tan head.

S - The coffee is very dominant in terms of smell. Some chocolaty aromas and roasted oats are showing through as well.

T - Wow! Still packs that delicious punch every time! Chocolate and coffee flavors just rush onto your tongue. When I first tried this beer, it was more bitter than I had expected, but not in a bad way. The bitterness still carries some sweet flavors with it thanks to the oatmeal and chocolate. This beer does taste more alcoholic as it warms to room temperature, but still retains that bittersweet deliciousness.

M - Clings to the tongue and the walls of the mouth as easily as it did to the glass it was poured in. Surprisingly smooth and very rich.

D - I could drink this stuff all day. A definite must try and must have for any beer drinker. It is not all that filling and makes a great dessert. A wonderful thing to have after a tough day.

11-05-2009 00:43:23 | More by thorvale
EPICAC

4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

I had this at The Publick House.

Founders Breakfast Stout pours an opaque black, and is topped by a dark brown head that fades to a bubbly ring, and leaves good lacing. This stout has a wonderful, rich, roasty aroma. Strong notes of coffee beans are dominant, with subordinate notes of chocolate and hints of dark fruit. Swirling the beer enhances the dark fruit aromas.

There's a strong, roasty character present from start to finish in this beer. Upfront it serves as a counterpoint to chocolate sweetness, in the center it mellows allowing the chocolate flavors to blend with notes of dark fruit for a sweet kick, and in the finish the coffee used in this stout emerges and melds with the roasted flavors giving a lingering bitterness. This stout is full-bodied, moderately carbonated, and smooth and creamy.

I thought that this was a good, strong stout. There's a lot going on, and a nice interplay between the chocolate and coffee.

11-04-2009 01:55:32 | More by EPICAC
MbpBugeye

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

50th review! Couldnt have picked a nicer beer for the occasion. Poured into a snifter.

A- Thick, dark brown pour. Nice cascading deep red head. Not much retention but good lacing left from the remaining wisps of foam. The body is deep black, not any color even on the edges.

S- Strong nose! Big on coffee grounds. The coffee is like a punch in the face. Behind that trails some powdery notes of cocoa. The aroma is also quite leathery.

T- World class. Im really glad I can buy this locally. Like the nose the taste is big on coffee. There is a good deal of bitterness to this stout. Charcoal, bitter sweet chocolate and cola. The cola really comes out on the finish.

M- Medium carbonation. A little thinner that perfect. Drying and sticky. Really smooth and rich.

D- The alcohol is well hidden. This is a great refreshing and warming stout.

11-03-2009 04:15:47 | More by MbpBugeye
FeDUBBELFIST

4.7/5  rDev +4%

A: As black as a shade of brown can be. The head was the color of wheat bread and did not last extremely long on my pour, 1.5 fingers max.

S: Wet coffee grounds and bitter, semi-sweet dark chocolate are the prevailing aromas. Flat cola is the runner up and a great segue to the sweet maltiness that is around the corner.

T: When you order an imperial stout, this is what you want. I was not offended by the bitter finish at all. The finest example I have ever tried with plenty of character to spare.

M: Excellent. Thick and velvety smooth. Very balanced with great carbonation although mine was probably served colder than recommended.

D: Worth taking your time with, particularly so if served below 50 degrees. I only had one, would have had another, but I imagine two would be my limit here.

A bonafide must try.

11-02-2009 22:07:00 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
nicnut45

3.7/5  rDev -18.1%

A-Jet black, thick and syrupy, you cant even hear it pour. Dark tan head stays around for awhile. Lacing coats the glass as I drink.

A-Smells of coffee, syrup, leather, cola, tobacco. The smell doesnt exaclty explode from the cup. I had to stick my nose in the glass just to get a whiff.

T-This has a dry bitterness to it. Tastes mostly like cola to me with burnt charcoal mixed in. A mild sweetness comes in after the bitter assault. I wish there was a bit more sweetness to balance it out. All in all this one leaves a dry bitter taste in my mouth.

M-Nice smooth and thick. Creamy like chocolate mile. I love it.

D-Abit to bitter for me. I definetly wont get this again.

11-02-2009 18:14:29 | More by nicnut45
kbm

Arizona

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance is black with a great cascading head. About three or four fingers worth of head. Nice head retention with sticky lacing.

Smell is initially wet coffee grounds and vanilla with a hint of cinnamon tobacco in the background.

Taste is coffee, coffee, coffee. Coffee in the font, coffee in the back. Black coffee. I don't like coffee but I like this beer. It's like coffee ice cream. Roasty malts.

Mouthfeel is moderate carbonation.

Drinkablity is remarkably good for such a bitter beer.

11-02-2009 04:18:04 | More by kbm
pourmeup

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

This is quite honestly one of the finest stouts we have tasted,smelled, or saw. By far on of the best non-oaked stouts of all time.
A- standard opaque, stunning golden brown head with tiny thick bubbles
S- stupendous smell, coffee is abundant, a nice malty sweetness to the scent
T- coffee, roasted oats with chocolate; slight vanilla aftertaste----tasty to say the least
M- quite thick, really smooth and creamy, with a velvet finish that lingers
D- an innumerable amount of these can be drank, there's a reason there is two cases of these in the house

(two person review)

11-02-2009 04:02:51 | More by pourmeup
TripT

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle poured into a standard pint. Oh my gosh, this smells like freshly ground expensive coffee with bitter chocolate shavings! Hopefully the alcohol will counteract any caffeine so I can sleep. The taste is consistent with the smell and the alcohol has a nice warming quality and doesn't overwhelm. Thick and creamy mouth feel. Intense and impossible to drink quickly, not that you'd want to. I should have waited for this to warm up more because the last two inches were the best.

10-31-2009 21:49:30 | More by TripT
jamiesessions

South Carolina

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours an incredibly deep, black colour with a tan head that holds quite well. Smells very strongly of coffee, it finally dawns on me that breakfast stout makes total sense. The Coffee is strong, but i do also set hints of chocolate, as if i'm about to drink a mocha beer-ccino. The taste is overpoweringly coffee, the chocolate that i smelled is now also fairly prevelant. The beer is also very heavy, to the point that after I had drank half of it, i no longer wanted to eat. This is the definition of "meal in a glass". It took me a while to finish it, and i couldn't have another, not because of my dislike of the beer, but simply because i was full. Certainly worth this price of admission

10-31-2009 18:10:12 | More by jamiesessions
UDbeernut

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

bottle poured into a snifter

a: dark almost jet black hue. nice 3/4" silky tan head. good retention.

s: inviting rich coffee aroma. Smells like a new pot of coffee on the kettle

t: coffee, roasted malt, semi-sweet chocolate. light hop bitterness. does have a bit of a nut complexity to it as well. Well done founders.

m&d: rich creamy mouth, alchohol is nice a warming. Not a session beer... drink it slow and enjoy.

cheers!!!

10-31-2009 11:21:42 | More by UDbeernut
Minkybut

I poured this exceptional beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a rich black color with a very nice thick tan head. It really looked good. The smell was heavy coffee dark roasted. The taste was the same, heavy dark roasted coffee with a smooth oatmeal cookie finish. I lapped it up an will buy this beer again.

10-30-2009 19:12:13 | More by Minkybut
OldSchoolGamer

4.25/5  rDev -6%

I absolutely love Coffee Stouts, and this is one fine example of the style. I have yet to be disappointed with a Founders beer, and this one might be one of their best.

A: Pours a thick, pitch black color. No light penetration whatsoever. Head sticks around, but lacing is pretty minimal.

S/T: The aroma is full of rich coffee. Smells like a nice fresh pot of coffee. Very inviting aroma. The taste is even better than the aroma. I get a lot of fresh roasted coffee upfront. That leads way to a nice rich chocolate flavor in the finish. A great mix of coffee, chocolate and roast, with the coffee being the dominant flavor. Not the best Coffee Stout I have had, but easily in the top 5. Excellent.

M/D: Mouthfeel is very creamy and pretty full bodied. Not super thick, but still nice. I wish the finish lingered on a little more than it does. Drinks very well. Nothing harsh or offputting about this beer at all. Would be an excellent substitute for coffee in the morning. This will be a staple in the fridge all winter long.

Fantastic beer. Maybe a tad overrated, but still one excellent beer. I personally prefer Mikkeller Beer Geek, Brunch Weasel, Southern Tier Jah-Va, and Peche Mortel, but this one rounds out my top five Coffee Stouts.

10-29-2009 22:03:07 | More by OldSchoolGamer
Telix

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from the bottle into a DFH Chalice.

A: A deep, deep, totally opaque dark chocolate brown with a nice brown head. There is seriously zero light transmission through this beer. The head doesn't stay around, but that's just fine with me.

S: Sweet roasted malts, ground coffee, ripe banana. Nice, fairly mild, inviting.

T: An awesomely complex brew - it hits the palate with a light creaminess and then opens up beautifully. A light, dryly sweet chocolate flavor is balanced by wonderfully integrated hop bitterness. As soon as the bitterness hits you, a fruity, honey sweetness coats your mouth to counteract the hops. The finish is long, with the hop bitterness re-entering the picture as a tingle on your tongue, but the sweetness still lingers. It fades perfectly with great balance even at that point...

M: Creamy, light, but thick enough to be satisfying. Mouth-coating without being gooey.

D: I want more than this 12 ounce single I got, that's for sure.

10-29-2009 02:34:51 | More by Telix
bmoney

4.25/5  rDev -6%

I believe this is last years release. Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- dark dark brown almost black. Thin film of head that does leave scattered lacing.

S- Smell of espresso grounds and bitter dark chocolate.

T- dark (black) coffee, bitter sweet chocolate. Something syrupy in there. As it warms a little bit of hop and alcohol appears.

M- Smooth on the tongue with a tingle of carbonation. A little thin for my tastes. Finishes dry.

D- Very delicious beer, but probably wouldn't want more than 2 or 3 in a sitting.

10-27-2009 01:35:41 | More by bmoney
ShadesOfGray

4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Great Stout! Pours out of a short bottle, Very dark with little head...but coffee colored head that settles to a rim around the glass and leaves kong lasting lacing. Smells pretty potent. Chocolate, coffee, bitters. Closely resembles an espresso scent.

Very obvious coffee taste, with hints of chocolate. Heavy...but booze is well hidden. Common stout bitters on the back of the palate...but a very, very pleasant taste. Great brew!

10-27-2009 01:29:14 | More by ShadesOfGray
mbudner

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

'09 release poured into a pint glass

A- Deep black with a very small/thin a dark tan/brown head. When glass is tipped, it is much more transparent and thinner than I expected.

S- Initially, aroma is heavily dominated by coffee with chocolate undertones. As it warms, I'm getting what I assume to be "flaked oats" due to the closest aroma I can compare this to is a contained of raw Quaker Oatmeal. When I really get my nose down in there, I pick up a bit of the heat, but this is the only evidence of alcohol that really comes through from start to finish and I have to try to find it. After it warms up even more, I'm getting "wet dog" scent out of nowhere (no I don't own a dog,) but at this point I'm loving it too much to let that get to me.

T- Burnt coffee with chocolate followed by a nuttiness that I can't really pin down to a specific nut. The flavors become more apparent as it warms, as one would expect, but this is a beer I enjoy from start to finish (even if I am impatient and start sipping when it is too cold and wait too long and finish when it is warmed than I would prefer.)

M- Starts off with a nice creaminess from the oatmeal with a nice zip of carbonation on the tip of he tongue and the back of the palate that I don't often experience with some of the thicker stouts. Finishes on the dry side when compared with other oatmeal stouts.

D- I can't say that I would want to drink more than one or two in a sitting, but I would love to have one every morning for the rest of the fall/winter. A true breakfast of champions.

10-26-2009 20:15:44 | More by mbudner
longdivision

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Poured a tan, caramel head that quickly dissipated. Espresso colored. No light gets in or out.

S - Smells like strong coffee grounds. I used to work in a coffeeshop, and this smells exactly like the leftover espresso grinds from the end of the night.

T - Robust, roasty coffee. Nicely sweet. Some lingering hop bitterness at the end.

M - Creamy, light carbonation, with a bite at the end.

Overall, I enjoy and recommend this, if you like coffee of course.

10-23-2009 03:47:40 | More by longdivision
aaronh

3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Virtually black body is tinged with ruby highlights. The tan head fades to an island of foam. No lacing to speak of. Aroma is heavy on the roasted coffee notes with a hint of hops. The flavor follows - very strong on the coffee flavors - almost tastes like a shot of espresso in a decent stout. Some hints of dark chocolate start to poke through and a hint of sweetness eventually appears after several sips. Almost half the beer is gone before i really discern any hop flavors. Mouthfeel is decent, but perhaps a bit thin for the size of the beer. Drinkability is also good. After having this side-by-side with Goose Island Night Stalker and Bourbon County, this beer comes in third in my book. A good beer I will buy again, but not as great as some of the others.

10-23-2009 03:21:13 | More by aaronh