Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,124
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Arsenal04

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Just got a four pack, sending one off and cellaring two. Hoping I can discern between cellared and non-cellared. Poured into an oversized wine glass jet black with a brownish-maroon ring. No head with an extremely minimal amount of lacing that doesn't coat the glass. It's 8:25p.m. and the OVERPOWERING coffee nose has me thinking I'm late for work! Chocolate and malt play the role of The Pips to the Gladys Knight that is the coffee nose. Very complimentary and one I could spend all night only taking giant whiffs of this beer and be content. Just as the coffee dominates the smell, it takes over the taste as well. I love a good cup or two of coffee each morning, but I was expecting the chocolate to come out differently in this - possibly sweeter? Don't get me wrong, the chocolate is present, but it reminds me of a baker's chocolate - very sharp. The malts do play off of the coffee well, however. Being surprised, actually very surprised, at the taste doesn't degrade this in my book as I now view it in a different yet positive light than my expectations going in. Mouthfeel is light, not chewy but coats the throat and leaves a noticeable aftertaste. I am only halfway through my beer and just like every morning 12 hours from now with my first large coffee, I find myself involuntarily wanting another. Well done, Founders, and thank you very much for the surprise (at least to me).

08-12-2009 01:46:27 | More by Arsenal04
njmoons

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Wow, one of my all time favorites.

Pours deep dark brown. The greatness of this beer starts with the aroma of roasted malt, cofee, choclate, smoke.

Taste starts with strong roasted malts, cofee, chocolate, bitterness all in balance and harmony.

The flavors remain through the middle and ends with a nice dry bitterness.

The taste lingers and prompts me to take the next sip.

Drink it close to room temp 60 to 65 degrees to get all the flavors.

08-11-2009 18:46:52 | More by njmoons
Lexluthor33

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours deep brown.Good sized head and fading to a light,thin lace.

The aroma of coffee,roasted malt and a chocolate hint.

The taste begins bitter with a sweetness that follows hand in hand. Some alcohol warmth and taste of coffee and oatmeal.
The feel was full bodied with a well balanced carbonation. Syrup feel was not sticky and it was very easy to drink. Great balance overall.

Notes: Great way to start the day,but I had one with pumpkin pancakes and maple sausage lightly coated with maple syrup.

08-08-2009 18:56:24 | More by Lexluthor33
katan

3.65/5  rDev -19.2%

12 oz bottle into a goblet

A - A black color with only the lightest amber hues around the edges. Opaque like motor oil. Little carbonation head forms, and only a film is retained.

S - A combination of roasted barley, coffee, and chocolate on the nose. Certainly a lean towards the coffee side, from something that seems cold steeped - strong. A caramel sweetness starts to become more apparent as the beer is decanted more.

T - Starts with an immediate bitter, astringent, acidic coffee bite. Nothing sweet on the start. Bitterness is strong in the mid-stream, without a hop note. Finishes with a more mild coffee bite which lightens the more its on the tongue, resulting in an interesting chocolate aftertaste.

M - Moderate body - not as thick as I would have thought from the appearance. Is very clinging, oily, coating on the tongue. Leaves behind a well defined resin.

D - A one time beer to say the least. Almost like I'm drinking coffee, with alcohol. Flavors are awfully direct, and the abv is a bit over the top.

An interesting beer, worth trying, but I don't think I'd add this to my regular rotation.

08-07-2009 03:42:30 | More by katan
jrallen34

3.83/5  rDev -15.3%

I drank this from a bottle into a tulip.

This stour poured very thick, no carbonation, and dirty motor oil black. Not even a hint of brown in the light. It has very tan head, but it isn't very high or last very long. Lacing is really strong.

The smells very strongly of black coffee, and bitter chocolate. Very strong smell.

The taste is strong and a big mouthful. You taste it all over your mouth and throat as you swallow. It tastes very bitter and my biggest thought is cold coffee the whole time. I think this is very good but its just one note through and through. Its not a complex flavor which is a little disappointing.

08-07-2009 01:27:34 | More by jrallen34
beerwolf77

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

Normally I would talk about pouring the beer into my glass. Well this beer is so thick I placed in my glass not poured. It's like motor oil coming out of the gate. Black as night. A trace of head. No lacing. The aroma is wonderful. Dark chocolate and coffee. So spot on with those two scents it's freaky. The flavor is intense smoked malt with chocolate coffee. It's like a mocha malt was melted and put in a bottle. Obviously this full bodied and robust. It's like a meal in a glass. Breakfast to be exact.... wait maybe that's why they call it... oh you know. Great Imperial stout.

08-07-2009 01:04:18 | More by beerwolf77
angelmonster

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

Got this in a trade from Sonicdescent

Pours a 2 finger chocolate head, body is pitch black and opaque. Head retention is above average and lacing is good

Smell is of bittersweet chocolate and fresh coffee grounds. The coffee and chocolate really overpower anything else in this beer. Hops and alcohol aren't detected at all, this smells like desert!

Taste is pretty similar to smell, first there is the bitter chocolate, then the bitter cold coffee taste is there. Hops are also present in the after taste, not like IPA hoppy, but just that bitterness of IBUs

Mouth feel is good, carbonation is well balanced. Body isnt as thick and rich as I was hoping for. Thats about the only downside I see to this beer. There isnt that thick creamy head I love from Imperial Stouts. It goes down pretty smooth though.

Drink ability is good. The 8.3 ABV is barely detected and this beer isnt really session able but I could easily go through 2 of these at a time. Bitterness from coffee and chocolate was definitely the main flavor in this beer and I didnt mind it one bit. I only wish it was a little thicker and richer, still very good beer, worth trading again

08-06-2009 04:36:22 | More by angelmonster
birchstick

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

A - poured like motor oil out of the bottle into my snifter. Jet black in appearance with a very minimal head.

S - the smell was kind of all over the place - there is a lot going on in it. Dark, roasted malts, a boat load of burnt malts/coffee, dark fruits, chocolate, and booze.

T - Taste of dark chocolates, which were followed by burnt malt that dominates the palate on the finish and leaves a lingering coffee taste. Usually stouts can get kind of watery throughout its taste - this was full of flavor and very interesting throughout.

M - decently full and smooth. The high abv is very well-masked. I smelt the booze but didn't taste it.

D - excellent stout. I have been wanting to try this for a while now and was glad that I finally got to try it. I have a couple more calling my name, and I am very much looking forward to indulging in them. With a description that says, "double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout," how can one go wrong - especially when it is brewed by Founders.

08-06-2009 03:34:25 | More by birchstick
Mistofminn

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Finally got a chance to try this, here goes.

Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. At first the head is medium brown, almost toffee colored, but as it settles, it turns more of a beige color. The head, while unspectacular to begin with, shrinks to a small ring around the outside of the glass. There is some sticky lacing leaving patterns on the glass.

The nose is very strong towards the coffee. Bakers chocolate and bitterness take a back seat to the Espresso in this one, and it's mouthwatering. Roasted malts and almost a chocolate milk like sweetness.

Coffee and earthy bitter hops. Bakers chocolate and malts. The alcohol isn't noticeable, but there is a friendly warming presence hidden amongst the intense flavors. This stuff is the consistency of chocolate milk, with the bitterness of iced coffee, and the velvety smoothness of a malt.

Creamy and smooth. Thats it. There is a slight bitter aftertaste, but other than that, I can't imagine it being more velvety smooth and creamy. Drinkability is excellent.

Definitely deserving of the spot in the Top 100. Excellent brew.

08-03-2009 22:20:31 | More by Mistofminn
glib

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

I very much enjoyed this beer. I enjoy stouts, but often have to be in a particular frame of mind for them. This stout lived up to its "breakfast" moniker, with robust and sweet flavors of coffee and chocolate. The initial taste and feel is intense and crisp, laced with bitter hops and a hint of sweetness. This almost immediately gives way to a softer, more velvety feel, with huge flavors of chocolate. The warm aftertaste of chocolate and coffee makes this beer exceptionally drinkable, although it is definitely a sipping beer.

I would have given it nearer perfect marks, except that initially the overwhelming and overlapping flavors are a bit much for my palate. Others may enjoy this intensely.

07-30-2009 16:04:06 | More by glib
drizzam

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. This beer is as dark as dark gets! Opaque black with a thick frothy tan head that sticks around forever! Excellent lacing. A beautiful brew!

S - Coffee and roasted malts stand out above all. Also an undertone of bitter chocolate.

T - The taste mimics the nose. Roasted malts and coffee with some bitter chocolate on the swallow. The alcohol is superbly masked. Some hoppiness as well...this is a tasty little number!

M & D - Thick, almost viscous mouthfeel. Very smooth and drinkable. As hefty as this one is, I think I could drink it all night. Kudos to the brewmasters over at Founders...this is one to be proud of!

07-30-2009 00:50:02 | More by drizzam
bbeane

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Poured into a snifter... No head, black in color with no transparency. Leaves little lacing

S- Lots going on. Has a sweet malty caramel smell with strong chocolatey aroma and even stronger coffee overtones

T- Delicious. Slightly sweet malt start with the chocolate becoming more prominant as the beer hits your entire mouth. Finishes with great coffee overtones

M- Slightly chewy with very little carbonation. Leaves lots of linger flavor in your mouth after swallowing

D- Very. Would drink as many as there are available. I imagine the very undetectable high abv starts to catch up with you after a few

CHEERS!!

07-27-2009 02:56:08 | More by bbeane
Jayli

had on tap 7/18 at The Dirty Truth
I didn't think that one of my favorite beers could get any better... and then I had it on tap. Sweet baby jesus...
This beer poured an opaque black color with a thick, frothy, dark tan head. Great head retention with tons of thick sticky lacng that coated the glass. The coffee nose on this is far more intense on tap than in the bottle, some bitter chocolate and roasted malt notes dance in the background but it's all about the coffee with this one. The first go 'round I rated this beer as a 5 on the taste and having it on tap only solidifies the 5 stance. Insane coffee flavoring. It's prominent and in your face but not over the top. Roasted malt flavoring evens it out a bit in the middle and and creamy flavoring mixed with a deep bitter chocolate round this out at the end. The flavor on this baby was really, really intense. I you like coffee, you'll love this! Even though roasted coffee was the main flavor there was good balance here. I noticed some malts and some cream flavor and maybe some bittersweet chocolate in the finish. This is a full bodied, low carbonation, rich, silky and creamy body with a thick sticky finish to it. In this case, my 5 drinkability lends more to simply sitting and enjoying rather than sessionable. Though... in bottle form I've put a few back. I've always known draft was better but I didn't think FBS could be improved.

07-25-2009 03:04:02 | More by Jayli
capra12

3.35/5  rDev -25.9%

Reviwed with the help of speedwayjim served out of a pint glass.

Appearance: 1/2 finger dark tan head dark and nearly opaque in color.

Smell: There are dark roast malts, coffee beans and burnt dark chocolate.

Taste: The opening of this brew nothing but ordinary. The taste of slightly charred chocolate and heavily roasted coffee beans are present throughout this brew, The sweet ness of the chocolate comes through towards the end as this brew warms up.

Mouthfeel: this brew is medium bodied but is in no way smooth. The bitterness from the roasted coffee really lingers long after my sip.

Drinkability: this brew is very complex yet my palate is unable appreciate the complexity of this concoction.For me this brew is one which I would not have again.

07-24-2009 03:39:53 | More by capra12
cdkrenz

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Thick appearance, it looks like molasses with a nice dark brown head standing about a half inch tall but it fades quick.

S - Perfect chocolate aroma with a super coffee accent. This is fixin' to be a winner.

T - An array of flavors cross my tongue in the first sip. So many in fact that I can't place them all. Let's see what I find in pull number two... it moves from a rich coffee start to a bitter hop-coffee middle. The finish is thick and chocolaty.

M - This is a super smooth stout that has a soft and silky feel.

~ I recommend to anyone that likes beer, they must have this. No question about it.

07-24-2009 03:30:36 | More by cdkrenz
SpeedwayJim

3.65/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured into a tumbler.

A: Poured a deep, dark brown color with a half finger dark tan head that I've come to expect from these types of beers. The head dissipated rather quickly to form a film around the side of the glass.

S: Sweet chocolate, roasted coffee beans and malts.

T: The taste of coffee was a little overpowering in this brew though I could definitely get the hints of chocolate.

M: Medium to heavy bodied and surprisingly dry. Mouthfeel was also rather course though I thought it would've been a bit silkier.

D: 3. Glad I had this though I probably wouldn't try it again. Drinkability is a little low compared to other chocolate and oatmeal stouts I've had.

07-24-2009 01:55:36 | More by SpeedwayJim
thekevlarkid

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Out of a bottle I stumbled across randomly in Myrtle Beach, SC, with the gorgeous Russian girl I was dating (*sigh*) this uber-famous beer was an opaque black color. The head was one finger of mocha-colored foam that displayed good retention and consistent bands of lacing. The aroma was rich and delicious, chocolate, pipe tobacco, roasted malt, molasses and alcohol. Totally on-point. The flavors were equally apropos to the style, lots of roasted malt and chocolate, both milk and dark along with some smoked notes and earth. The alcohol was surprisingly well-concealed yet the flavors still robust and rich - complex but dangerously drinkable! Oh my! The body was full, the carbonation perfect and the mouthfeel smooth. This one, in some ways, is easy to sum up. If you can find it, buy it.

07-23-2009 02:16:06 | More by thekevlarkid
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into Boulevard Smokestack Glass

Pours a 1/2 finger thick/full mocha colored tan head. Doesn't last very long. Some very little lace manages to stick thinly to the glass. Color is a pure dark brown, basically black.
4-4.5

Aroma: Coffee, cocoa, chocolate. A big malt taste. Some type of nuts. Main smell is the coffee. Slight booze. I am loving the smell.

Taste: Coffee and coffee beans. Chocolate and cocoa. Some nuts. Taste is just like the smell. Big malt flavor, slight booze, earthy hops are a little present. A very great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy. Full bodied. Seems like a good amount of carbonation. Somewhat boozy. Leaves a a pretty dry, coffee taste of an aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very tasty beer. Very drinkable stout. Went fast from the start to the end, making me want more. I could easily drink another.

07-22-2009 22:44:30 | More by mothman
taez555

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

This beer poured a dark black body(somewhat coca cola-ish) with a small almost non existent head.

Nose is an extremely intense freshly cracked bitter coffee or espresso bean and extremely dark chocolate. Very faint touches of the oatmeal, but honestly this thing just screams coffee/chocolate without any sweetness at all. Dark and SUPER BITTER coffee or chocolate.

Taste is full bodied and immediately hits with the dark bitter chocolate and coffee flavors. It's strange because both the dark bitter unsweetened chocolate and extremely bitter espresso are equally present and yet sort of shuffle back and forth so you're never quite sure which one is the flavor you're experiencing at the moment. Bitterness isn't overly deadly, at least not when it comes to the hops. You can taste it's there, but it works perfectly in step with the bitter coffee and choclate flavors. Hop taste, again, it's there with some mild floral or even citrus notes, but for the most part it's just a compliment to the big burnt coffee. Ends with a beautiful long boot leather, coffee and dark unsweetened chocolate bitterness.

Founder's can't make a bad beer. I hate calling this a one trick pony. It's sooo coffee and unsweetened chocolate to the max, but... it works. I like the KBS a bit more, but this is damn good.

07-20-2009 23:19:04 | More by taez555
kegger22

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

Looks, pours and feels like used motor oil but in this case, its a good thing. Remember, this is breakfast and it is rich, rich, rich. The aroma is a good, strong coffee with a whiff of chocolate. The taste is coffee, but the chocolate becomes more prominent as an aftertaste on the back of the tongue. The feel is heavy, but hey, its a stout and it should. If you drank this all day, it would kill you, but you'd die happy.

07-19-2009 22:33:44 | More by kegger22
NittanyBeerFan

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

I'll start by saying this...if you could drink this for breakfast every morning, you would never need to drink coffee again.

A: Pour is extremely smooth. The beer flows viscously in a creamy black stream. There is a thin layer of bubbles on top.

S: Smell has a ton going on in it. Coffee, dark chocolate, burnt malts, and some maple syrup/molasses that makes this 100% inviting.

T: Just like a Colombian dark roast. The molasses sits in the background and complements the roasted malts. There is a big coffee taste (obviously) to go with it. No sign of alcohol at all. I also make out some hazelnut-like notes in the finish.

M/D: Tingly light carbonation, extremely smooth finish. Great after dinner, where it replaced my coffee, and could be great in the morning with my bagel and eggs too. The aftertaste is better then that of my morning coffee. A great all-around beer. I could drink a few of these, even though it might take an hour or two...

07-19-2009 22:07:21 | More by NittanyBeerFan
sweemzander

4.88/5  rDev +8%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours thick, and black as night. Very little head formation, but had some serious light brown bubbles. Some lacing.

(S)- Lots of coffee and oatmeal! Combined with some sweet chocolate and molasses. Some bread nuances.

(T)- Super rich roasted malts. Tons of coffee within. Slight bread component from the oatmeal. Finalized by some cocoa.

(M)- Thick stuff in the mouth. Seriously roasted to the point of almost being bitter, yet the sweetness balances that out really well! Good carbonation level. Where is the 8.3% abv? Pretty damn smooth if you ask me! Incredible balance!

(D)- If I could get away with drinking this at breakfast every morning, I would ! It really reminds me of that early morning cup of coffee with some well-done toast spread with milk chocolate ! A sipper, yet an incredibly enjoyable one at that. If you let this get up to almost room temperature, it only gets better! One of the best and unique Stouts out there along with their CBS and KBS !

07-18-2009 13:12:53 | More by sweemzander
dude

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to my brother Brian for the surprise. I have been craving this one for a while. Plus I got to enjoy it during a phils game with a 1st inning grand slam! This pours like old motor oil, opaque and brown to black in color. No head formation and not much in the way of carbonation noted. Aroma is of coffee, some chocolate and a porterish bitter roasted maltiness. Taste is bitter sweet, chocolate, vinous fruit and tasty alcohol. Mouthfeel is syrupy, disappointing I guess as it was the only below average characteristic. Drinkability is good for double stout standards, whatever the hell that means.

07-13-2009 22:44:47 | More by dude
briman

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Pours very dark brown, essentially black, opaque, with a moderate dark brown head that retains well.

Aroma is moderate to strong ground coffee, with some dark chocolate lingering in the background.

Flavor falls right in line with the aroma, ground coffee, dark chocolate, with a roasty finish. Bitterness characteristic of what you might get after eating a square of premium dark chocolate fills the aftertaste.

Medium-full body, moderate carbonation. Slightly thick, a bit chewy. Alcohol evident only in the warming, as it is very well hidden in the aroma and taste. I think this is an outstanding beer, but can't help wondering what it would be like if it were a touch fuller in terms of body. Certainly one you want to drink again and again.

07-13-2009 02:57:30 | More by briman
bfields4

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Deep dark chocolate with a thin tight beautiful mocha head.

Dark bitter sweet chocolate malts rule the smell. A nice roasted coffee eske smell to boot.

Bould breakfast espresso tastes fade into a beautiful bitter velvet chocolate so smooth and well balanced nothing too overpowering.

as stated above a nice velvety smooth light carbonation. Founders brewed a beautiful one with this guy. wish I had the willpower to store this guy.

07-13-2009 02:39:58 | More by bfields4