Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,161
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'll start by saying this...if you could drink this for breakfast every morning, you would never need to drink coffee again.

A: Pour is extremely smooth. The beer flows viscously in a creamy black stream. There is a thin layer of bubbles on top.

S: Smell has a ton going on in it. Coffee, dark chocolate, burnt malts, and some maple syrup/molasses that makes this 100% inviting.

T: Just like a Colombian dark roast. The molasses sits in the background and complements the roasted malts. There is a big coffee taste (obviously) to go with it. No sign of alcohol at all. I also make out some hazelnut-like notes in the finish.

M/D: Tingly light carbonation, extremely smooth finish. Great after dinner, where it replaced my coffee, and could be great in the morning with my bagel and eggs too. The aftertaste is better then that of my morning coffee. A great all-around beer. I could drink a few of these, even though it might take an hour or two...

NittanyBeerFan, Jul 19, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours thick, and black as night. Very little head formation, but had some serious light brown bubbles. Some lacing.

(S)- Lots of coffee and oatmeal! Combined with some sweet chocolate and molasses. Some bread nuances.

(T)- Super rich roasted malts. Tons of coffee within. Slight bread component from the oatmeal. Finalized by some cocoa.

(M)- Thick stuff in the mouth. Seriously roasted to the point of almost being bitter, yet the sweetness balances that out really well! Good carbonation level. Where is the 8.3% abv? Pretty damn smooth if you ask me! Incredible balance!

(D)- If I could get away with drinking this at breakfast every morning, I would ! It really reminds me of that early morning cup of coffee with some well-done toast spread with milk chocolate ! A sipper, yet an incredibly enjoyable one at that. If you let this get up to almost room temperature, it only gets better! One of the best and unique Stouts out there along with their CBS and KBS !

sweemzander, Jul 18, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to my brother Brian for the surprise. I have been craving this one for a while. Plus I got to enjoy it during a phils game with a 1st inning grand slam! This pours like old motor oil, opaque and brown to black in color. No head formation and not much in the way of carbonation noted. Aroma is of coffee, some chocolate and a porterish bitter roasted maltiness. Taste is bitter sweet, chocolate, vinous fruit and tasty alcohol. Mouthfeel is syrupy, disappointing I guess as it was the only below average characteristic. Drinkability is good for double stout standards, whatever the hell that means.

dude, Jul 13, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -2%

Pours very dark brown, essentially black, opaque, with a moderate dark brown head that retains well.

Aroma is moderate to strong ground coffee, with some dark chocolate lingering in the background.

Flavor falls right in line with the aroma, ground coffee, dark chocolate, with a roasty finish. Bitterness characteristic of what you might get after eating a square of premium dark chocolate fills the aftertaste.

Medium-full body, moderate carbonation. Slightly thick, a bit chewy. Alcohol evident only in the warming, as it is very well hidden in the aroma and taste. I think this is an outstanding beer, but can't help wondering what it would be like if it were a touch fuller in terms of body. Certainly one you want to drink again and again.

briman, Jul 13, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Deep dark chocolate with a thin tight beautiful mocha head.

Dark bitter sweet chocolate malts rule the smell. A nice roasted coffee eske smell to boot.

Bould breakfast espresso tastes fade into a beautiful bitter velvet chocolate so smooth and well balanced nothing too overpowering.

as stated above a nice velvety smooth light carbonation. Founders brewed a beautiful one with this guy. wish I had the willpower to store this guy.

bfields4, Jul 13, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Got this in a trade from... Somebody. Thanks!

A - Opaque black with dark brown edges. Tight, half finger brown head has medium retention, leaving a thin collar. Not much in the way of lacing.

S - The expected coffee rush hits first. Big, huge coffee aromas. Honestly smells more like coffee than beer. But in a good way. Some chocolatey and licorice aromas break it up.

T - Equally coffee-soaked, with the same chocolate and licorice background. Some plummy fruit flavors in there too.

M - On the softer side, but too prickly to be higher than a 4.

D - Very high. One of the most drinkable coffee stouts I've had.

Solid for sure, but lacking somewhat in depth. Perhaps if I had it a bit fresher, I'd get more complexity out of the coffee itself. But even without the depth I expected, it's still a fine beer.

0110x011, Jul 12, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark black like motor oil and lets no light pass through. Has a small tan foamy head. The smell is of dark chocolate, molasses, alcohol, raisins, and coffee. Same for the taste. The taste has a nice balance between coffee bitterness and sweetness from the malt. The two strongest flavors are the coffee and the chocolate. Medium bodied, light carbonation, and very drinkable. I could drink this again and again.

hardy008, Jul 12, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours black with a half-finger head that doesn't linger, though the lacing clings nicely. Exceptional aroma with notes of coffee and dark chocolate. Wow, the flavor is intense and unique. Complex flavors with strong notes of dark roast coffee and a touch of chocolate. Very well balanced. Mouth feel is luxurious. This is absolutely the best stout I've tried yet.

hike20, Jul 11, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +10%

Huge thanks to Kegatron for trading me a bottle. Poured from a 12oz bottle at 50 degrees into a plain old snifter.

Poured it pretty darn quick in order to muster a 1 finger width medium tan head, composed of tiny bubbles. The head dissipates down to a thin ring rather quickly, and leaves some decent thin lacing along the sides of the glass. Once it settles to the thin ring of froth, it reminds me a lot of the froth on top of a freshly brewed shot of espresso. The beer itself is midnight black.

I get a lot of roasted barley in the nose, with some coffee and chocolate underneath. I also detect some faint tobacco, and a nutty quality that is hard to describe. There's some vanilla going on too, along with some toffee. Complex as hell and in your face.

Wow, where do I begin? The first thing I detect is toffee and vanilla, followed up quickly by a dry roastyness that is balanced out by a great coffee mid-range. Surprisingly, the chocolate shows up late to the party, and is prevelant mostly after the carbonation fades in your mouth just before the swallow, tastes a bit milk chocolate-like. I also get some tobacco leaf character at the swallow, along with other indescript leathery flavors.

Mouthfeel couldn't be better. It's everything I'm looking for: viscous, oily, smooth, vivacious, and is just the right thickness. Also has this kind of nice chewyness to it which is rare for a beer that isn't too thick.

Overall this is a masterpiece, and is one of the best beers I have ever had, if not the best beer I have ever had. I'm in absolute heaven. Really easy to enjoy, and the alcohol is kept in check which is awesome. I think I even dig this more than Peche Mortel, which is hard to believe coming from me. If I die in my sleep tonight, please serve this beer at my funeral.

Bubba83, Jul 09, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pitch black with a thin brown head.

S: Roasted coffee, dark & bitter chocolate, and a little bit of licorice.

T: Dark chocolate, roasted malts, coffee. Hints of hoppy bitterness and oatmeal.

M: Thick, thick, thick. Creamy, mild carbonation for a very full-body. Wonderful.

D: Have to control myself from finishing it too quickly. So well balanced, yet so intense, I could very easily drink this for a while.

straybeer, Jul 09, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours dark black, semi-thick with brown head.

Smell: The aroma is its best quality - bitter roast coffee with hints of chocolate.

Tatste: Tastes semi-dry, not very sweet, strong coffee flavor, a bit of dark chocolate. A little bitter zing.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick and not too smooth. Would have liked a little more of each.

Drinkability: Best served as a one-off for an after dinner beer. Because of the strength and complexity of the flavors I wouldnt wanna have this after drinking much before, and wouldnt wanna drink much after.

rfgetz, Jul 08, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Thankyou BlueOkie. This is a fruit of my first trade.

An enormous head developed. I don't know if it was the rapid change in temperature or if it was natural. I cooled it quickly after delivery. Very dark black body, milk chocolate enormous head.

Smell chocolatey with lots of oatmeal, very chocolatey, notes of coffee.

Tastes much the same. A lot of oatmeal in the taste. A fair amount of chocolate. Almost no coffee. Geeze the head is huge. Drinks rather well. Reminds me of Terrapins Wake 'n Bake. It also produces a spice that tingles on the tongue, which is so apparent in high-quality RISs. This is definitely worthy of the high marks.

Mouthfeel is perfectly milky, just like a stout should be.

Drinkabilty, for me is perfect. Not too alcoholic (8.3%), and easy to drink, smooth taste. This is the best Stout or Double stout i have ever had. I cannot thank you enough, BlueOkie.

JAA, Jul 08, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

From a bottle I saved from this past winter that I shared with a friend.

The stout poured the archetypal pitch black with a sandy-brown layer of thin foam. The luscious scent hit me as I was pouring from the bottle! I could immediately smell everything that went into the beer, the oats, the rich chocolate, and the sweet distinct aroma of steeping coffee. On the palate, it was very creamy with tastes of burnt breakfast cereal, thick chocolate and the bitterness of coffee to finish. It tasted like cheerios, mixed with chocolate milk, with a cup of strong Italian roasted coffee in a pint glass. My mouth was exploding with flavor as the beer coated and clung every square inch of my mouth. Despite the high alcohol content and intense flavor, I could imagine spending an evening drinking this and only this.

Soonami, Jul 03, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours ink black with a creamy brown head that looks like whipped chocolate icing. Lacing is very good

Aroma of milky coffee and expresso, raw coffee beans, chocolate, spiced rum, raisins, black licorice

Taste begins full of bitter and sweet coffee, milky for sure, toffee and chocolate. This stout really isn't too fruity its pure coffee and chocolate. Very good. Finish lasts forever and is pretty dry.

The mouthfeel to me is medium for a stout, and maybe I expected a fuller body. The soft carbonation makes this stout very milky in texture but I wouldn't say creamy or too thick

EatsTacos, Jul 03, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into a snifter. 2008 vintage (I think).

4.0 A: Pitch black color. Agressive pour gave me one finger of dark tan head that fell quickly, but left a good ring of lacing.

4.5 S: Awesome aroma. Coffee dominates and I'm perfectly fine with that. The coffee meshes well with sweet milk chocolate and roasted barley.

4.5 T: This starts out like a very tasty espresso. Then it quickly transforms into a beer with espresso. Bitter espresso, bittersweet chocolate, and roasted barley. Healthy bitterness comes from the coffee and hops.

4.0 M: Heavy medium body. Good carbonation. Very creamy.

5.0 D: I could drink a whole 4-pack of these and still want more.

***Re-Review from early 2011***

Since having many, many wonderful beers since my initial review of this beer, I have discovered this really isn't as wonderful as I once thought (or perhaps the beer itself isn't as good as it once was). This is still a good beer and I enjoy drinking it immensely, but I couldn't keep my old scores with a good conscience.

A: 3.5
S: 4.5
T: 4.0
M: 4.0
D: 4.0

DavoleBomb, Jul 02, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -6%

12 oz, bought in MI in March so probably the most recent batch. $3.99 for a single, whoa.

Pours a very thick sludgy dark brown, like motor oil. For all of the times I've said a stout was totally opaque black, I repent -- you could tell this was on another level of darkness as it left the bottle. Except for a tiny ring, no head at all.

Smells of rich, not-bitter coffee, hickory smoke, grass, double chocolate brownies. No off smells, no alcohol.

Mmm, dark chocolate coffee! Taste is exceptionally smooth, nice balance of roast / bitterness / medium sweetness. Serious dark chocolate and coffee here, to the point that you might be able to pass this one off as coffee if it went flat and you microwaved it... now I understand the name.

Soft, heavy mouthfeel. Just like how I put milk in my coffee, I'd like to take the edge off this finish, it is just a little too bitter.

Tasty, especially as a coffee lover, although by the end it was too much. Still, an entirely pleasant and welcome example of the style.

Note: I couldn't resist and tried pouring some vanilla soy milk into the last few sips... didn't really achieve the desired effect, sadly.

semihobo, Jun 29, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- Pours jet black with about 3/4 a finger worth of head. Some lacing.

Smell- Intensely smokey/roasted to the point where it's almost overwhelming. Very dark and very rich chocolate similar to devil's foodcake. Strong, black coffee.

Taste- Intense roasted malts that are very rich, strong, and smokey. Sweetness is balanced by coffee bitterness first, followed by hop bitterness. Oatmeal shows up around mid sip but is mostly covered up by the other huge flavors going on. The finish is wood-like and a bit dry.

Mouthfeel- Thick yes, but not as thick as I was expecting based on the smell and taste. Low carbonation level works for this style.

Drinkability/Conclusion- I'm a little surprised that this one ranks as high as it does. That's not to say that this isn't good beer... it is. I just don't think it's "A-worthy." The balance for me is a bit off and the coffee too intense. About mid-bottle it hit me that this tastes nearly EXACTLY like one of my homebrews (muck and mire version #2, batch #12). I've still got a bunch of it because I just don't care for it too much. It hits the spot once in a while, but for the most part it's just not what I would normally go for. I like my big stouts to have more residual sweetness, and a little less bitter coffee flavor.

lpayette, Jun 27, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to mschroeder7713 for the bottle (my bro)

A: Pours like motor oil...pitch black color (this is the darkest beer I have ever seen)...no highlights when held to light, just blackness. No head either, just a tiny bit of tan potential. Perfect score.

S: Roasted malts, espresso, coffee, toffee, molasses, caramel, and hops!! Glad to see such a nice stout with a whole bunch of hops. Also, bitter-sweet chocolate is present and quite upfront

T: Roasted coffee beans, roasted malts, espresso, molasses, hops! Very nicely balanced (although the roastedness is definitely the strong arm here)...truly remarkable...the chocolate and coffee/espresso combination is amazing. The finish is a little twangy (bitter and chocolaty), but very very enjoyable

MF/D: Very viscous body, smooth and creamy feel, exceptional in general. Coffee finish

Notes: Soo glad Founders is back in SC, and really worth the $11 per 4-pack price

MF/D: Chewy as hell, you might need a fork and knife...The motor oil consistency is very nice. Oily and velvety, finishes roasty and medium dry. Full body for sure

Awesome beer, a true gem.

scottyshades, Jun 26, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Tried this at a beer tasting at a local bar. An amazing stout. Color is pitch black with a beautiful light brown head that never goes away. The coffee and chocolates give it a taste i've never had in a stout. The oats give it an oatmeal stout feel. Highly reccommended.

darkside7268, Jun 26, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours very dark with a little dark brown head. Tried my best to get a good head on this one but it didn't really develop. Nice darkness and thickness though.

Aroma is very ester fruity from the malts. Dark cherries and chocolate with a bit of coffee.

Taste is sweet and fruity with hints of cocoa. Coffee comes out a bit more here than in the nose. Little bits of burnt notes.

Body is full and round but not as thick as the KBS or as I'd prefer. Acrid coffee on the tongue lasts a while giving this a pretty long finish.

Great stout but not my favorite.

gonzo46and2, Jun 24, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured bottle into glass.

Appearance: Poured practically black, and had a small, light brown head that lingered with some lacing. Simply put, it looks delicious.

Smell: Had a chocolate aroma with some coffee in the background.

Taste: The smell of coffee in the background really comes to the forefront in the taste. The chocolate is able to hold its own as well. It almost tasted like a carbonated mocha.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and rich. Quite robust.

Drinkability: Now, don't get me wrong...based on the taste alone, I could drink this beer non-stop. However, I found it to be so filling that I don't think I could drink more than two (or at most three) in one sitting. It is so good, though, that I could see myself keeping a pack on hand to have one for desert or something as it's that good.

civilizedpsycho, Jun 24, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to shuajw for another really great beer!

A: This beer pours almost jet black- opaque, with a nice tan head that formed very slowly. It was nice to watch.

S: It smells heavily of chocolate and flaked oats- it smells goood for a stout, that's all I can really say here. Maybe a little bit more subdued than I'd like but it's quite nice, really.

T: I've been drinking this over the past ten minutes or so and one thing I'll make note of- the alcohol notes in this brew start to come through as it warms. Those alcohol flavors only materialize as an afterthought, so they're very bearable and provide some depth here. The flavors that really show with this one are an amazing bittersweet chocolate flavor the I'm falling in love with and some notes of coffee and flaked oats.

M&D: The mouthfeel is a somewhat light for what I'm used to with stouts but I'm really loving it. It's lightly carbonated and, as a result, goes down very easily- drinkability is just about perfect. I may crack open the second bottle when I wake up in the morning (that's really not going to happen as I have to crawl out of bed into the shower and to the car lately but if I were half the morning person I used to be I might...). I'm really looking forward to getting myself on the Canadian and Kentucky Breakfast Stouts--from what I've heard they're a whole lot better than this one and isn't that exciting.

originalsin, Jun 22, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance Outstanding Appearance, Jet Black with Amber head about 1-2 fingers thick. Sticky lacing left behind throughout session.

Smell - Initial is coffee / toffee with a hint of spice. As it warmed the smell just kept getting better. Finally after about 30 minutes it leveled off with a nice coffee with a hint of liquor smell. The spices were more prominent when it warmed as well. This is a good smelling beer!

Taste - Coffee, roasted Oats, and just a hint of a alcohol in the back end to give it a nice warming flavor. As it warms the carbonation really brings out the alcohol flavor more. It brings out more flavors, now I am not tasting the oats anymore and it is giving way to a creamy, but dark, chocolate. All in all a great tasting beer. I like the hint of alcohol in this one. Much better than beers that just dump it in to increase the ABV.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is more than I would like for a stout, but for some reason it works with the tastes in this beer. I usually server beer cool, and let the room naturally warm it as I drink. This beer has a better mouthfeel cool than warm. The warmer it gets the more the carbonation is released it seems, So I would recommend drinking this one cold / cool if you are not a fan of the carbonation. While cool it coats well, as a stout should, but warmer the carbonation takes over and does not do so well for me, but I am far from disappointed. Slight warming as you drink it down.

Drinkability - Kind of a strong beer, but definitely could have a couple of these in a sitting. There are some better stouts in general out there, but this one is a good one, and is something I like to keep on hand. (as long as it is available)

Shaon94, Jun 19, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to mikereaser for providing me with this in a trade.

A: The deepest jet black with a creamy dark mocha colored head. Decent retention and lacing, but nothing especially impressive.

S: Rich chocolate and coffee aromas. Fudge brownies, some vanilla/butterscotch, rich coffee and espresso. Excellent aroma--bold, complex, rich.

T&M: Explosive and complex flavors of dark chocolate, coffee, some light citrusy hop flavor to keep things interesting. There's a slightly dry cereal flavor from the oats, as well. Body is full and the feel is incredibly creamy and velvety. If it was a tad bigger it'd merit a 5, but still no complaints here. Well done, a delicious beer.

D: Very drinkable for such a big stout. I've taken this one down rather quickly. It's a bit filling obviously, but it drinks easily and the 8% ABV is totally hidden.

BamaBeerBuff, Jun 19, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -18.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a globe glass.

A-thick, almost tar-like, very dark.
S- very nice sn=mell, primarily that of the coffee, but some toasted malt as well.
T- Very little of the malt comes through, but strong on the coffee. Basically a fermented and fizy cup of coffee.
M- Feels almost like a syrup.
D- A hearty beer, good for a few at a time.

Fartknocker, Jun 19, 2009