Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,065
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
trbergman

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Gulden Draak tulip.

appearance - Pours a very dark, rich brown, almost black, with a finger of dense, khaki-colored head.

smell - Coffee and dark chocolate are immediately apparent. There are some subtle hints of dried fruits.

taste - Delicious coffee flavor blended with chocolate -- like liquid tiramisu. In each sip, coffee and cocoa flavors gradually yield to a long, slightly bitter finish. I'm not sure how much of that bitterness is from the coffee and how much is from the hops.

mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy, with a pleasant creaminess from the oatmeal.

drinkability - If it wasn't so hard to come by here on the East Coast, I wouldn't mind sipping on a couple of these over a few hours, so it gets high marks. As it is, though, this will be my only one tonight.

10-27-2008 00:46:33 | More by trbergman
WanderingFool

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At last! I finally got my hands on some Founders Breakfast Stout thanks to a kind beer store owner who saved me a 4-pack from the one case he received.

The beer pours a thick, inky black into the glass with a small frothy brown head on top. The foam dissolves slowly to a sheet on the beer leaving behind clumps of lace on the glass.

The aroma has strong notes of coffee with hints of chocolate and roasted malt blended in. Each sip of this full bodied beer has a firm carbonated snap on the tip of the tongue. It's silky smooth on the palate and finishes dry. The flavor is full of coffee. Mixed in are notes of chocolate and roasted malt. At the end hints of nuts and a mild bitterness poke through. However, the bitterness could be coming from the chocolate or coffee and not the hops. Once gone the coffee flavor lingers on the palate.

For an 8.3% beer this one is easy to drink. I couldn't detect any alcohol in the nose or the flavor. I really liked this beer, but I'd like to see more balance with the coffee and chocolate. The flavor was pretty much 80% coffee with some other tastes mixed in.

10-26-2008 19:38:37 | More by WanderingFool
ncbeermonger

3.98/5  rDev -11.9%

pours with little to no head

it is dark like oil, with hints of brown, and chocolate

the smell of coffee and chocolate are prevalent

the taste of coffee is the first taste to hit your tongue, it finishes with slight bitter chocolate. It leaves you with a coffee taste after you have swallowed, yet only for a second.

The mouthfeel is good somewhat heavy, not crisp, representative of a stout.

It is a drinkable beer, one that will defiantly give you a wake up call if it's the first thing you drink in the morning, or just your first beer of the day.

10-26-2008 17:52:34 | More by ncbeermonger
tkarsies

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

This is the second year I have had this beer so I figured it was time to review it.

Served a little bit too cold (out of the fridge 15-20 minutes) so a strong poor did not give much head. 1/2 inch light brown head on top of the blackest beer I have had; no light gets through even on the edge.

Smells like a coffee stout should--fresh coffee and roasted malt. No alcohol on the nose.

As a huge coffee fan, the taste makes me very happy. Rich coffee flavor dominates. Some roasted malt taste but this can't keep pace...and I don't care. Hard to pick up any hops, although the roasted flavors give a nice bitterness on the back of the tongue. Chocolate is picked up as sweetness, but is not a prominent flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium and very smooth. Some stickiness as well. This is how a stout should be.

Despite >8% ABV, this is fairly easy to drink. For me, I could drink this all day except for the $16 price tag for a 4 pack. Last year's purchase lasted nearly the whole year, and the beer only got better with cellaring. Overall, this is one of my favorite beers and a treat every time I have it.

10-25-2008 18:21:29 | More by tkarsies
PatrickJR

3.58/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass. I let this brew warm to just under room temperature.

A - Jet black, opaque. A quarter inch of deep brown head forms with moderate retention. Settles to a thin collar and leaves very little lacing.

S - Huge aroma of burnt coffee upfront, but there's a bit of bitter chocolate alcohol in the background. Maybe a hint of wood in there as well.

T - Again with the burnt coffee. It's not entirely unpleasant, but it is very dominant. Some chocolate tries to pull through near the finish but is quickly overrun by a moderate alcohol presence. Try as I might, I can't pick up much flavor in this stuff beyond the coffee.

M - The oats make for a very thick and silky body, but the carbonation remains just a little too high to full enjoy what the body could be.

D - Too much damn coffee and booze. Not a bad beer, but not a great one either, certainly not something I'll buy more of or revisit in the near future.

10-25-2008 08:20:13 | More by PatrickJR
phattysbox

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to clockworkorange for the extra!!

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter. Black, black and more black. Thick oily pour that delivers only a thin whispy lace - not a bad thing since the oat makes it so thick.

Smells initially of coffee followed by delicate chocolate and sweet malts. Very nice! Some vanilla pulls through and there is a slight warming alcohol in the nose. Taste is freshly brewed espresso and chocolate and bitterness that is probably more due to coffee/choc than the hops. The malt background is huge and balances out the coffee flavors nicely. Viscous, thick, and velvety from the oat makes the body very nice.

This brew is better when it has warmed up in my opinion, however torwards the end the coffee notes were getting a bit cloying, which brought the drinkability down for me. This might not be a bad thing, but I drank this at night right before bed and got me racing a touch.

All in all the best coffee stout I have ever had!

Seek and enjoy!

10-23-2008 22:53:37 | More by phattysbox
PBoegel

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

When RIS crashes into Oatmeal Stout and adds a little coffee and chocolate you should get sensory overload, but you get balance and wow.

Breakfast should only be so delicious everyday.

The rich aromas of espresso, bitter chocolates and caramelized and dried fruits just flow out of the glass. I get a particular rise of the taste of oats and their creamy mouth feel in the flavor presentation.

A lot of truly great big stouts in my opinion use wheat and rye to add complexity to the body and taste, amping up the oat is fantastic.

A truly worthwhile to seek out brew.

10-23-2008 15:02:55 | More by PBoegel
champ103

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

A big thanks to Deuane for this one.

A: Pours an opaque black color. A small tan head forms, and recedes to a rim. I did not expect much here. Though some great sticky, spiderweb lace is left behind.
S: Dark roasted malt with coffee, chocolate and some alcohol. A nice aroma, but standard stout and not as aromatic as I would like.
T: Lots of dark roasted malt again. Coffee and some dry chocolate flavors. A large oatmeal flavor that I love, and seemed to be absent in the nose. This wonderful taste lingers on forever, and no one flavor stands out and overpowers everything else. Simply amazing!
M/D: A full body. It is exceptionally creamy, rich, and smooth. All the flavors are so well balanced and complex, which IMO, makes this amazingly easy to drink. I wish this would never end.

Om, ya, this is a damn good beer. Pretty much everything you want in a stout. The hype is well deserved.

10-21-2008 00:00:22 | More by champ103
jraycee

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

This showed up this week at my local beer store. Great to see it locally.
Pours black with about an inch of brown head that shows a little retention before fading into a thick crown.
Smelly like coffee, oak, and bitter chocolate.
Taste follows same guidelines coffee first followed by wood, pine, oats, unsweeteend chocolate, and right back to strong black coffee. You know the kind of coffee thats been brewed way too strong then left on the burner for a couple days.
The oats really give this brew a smooth velvety mouthfeel. The light carbonation is great for the style too.
Where's the alcohol? It's so nicely hidden I almost forgot its an 8.3%! Oh wait... okay I feel it now.

10-20-2008 21:26:56 | More by jraycee
Biggness

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on tap at a few bars in Boston over the weekend, it was the highlight of my trip :) This beer pours dark with a 1 fingered tan head and tons of lacing. The smell is of coffee and loads of toasted malts. The taste has a big oatmeal flavor with an even larger coffee flavor. It might be a little undercarbonated but the mouthfeel was wonderful. A had 3 of these @ the Common Ground so I would say for a big beer it is very drinkable.

10-20-2008 20:54:32 | More by Biggness
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.8/5  rDev -15.9%

I think I could use this stuff in my car as motor oil. It pours a thick, pitch black. I got no head to speak of.

Immediately hits you with an espresso aroma, and some bitter chocolate. This stuff is not kidding around.

Thick and chewy, tastes of dark espresso and bitter chocolate. Perhaps some cereal. Burnt acrid bitterness. Hint of licorice. It really does seem like it would be appropriate for breakfast. Personally, not my thing, it tastes like espresso in a beer bottle with some alcohol and much thickness. Its like drinking an oil slick. No balance. At least it covers the high alcohol content.

10-20-2008 03:43:10 | More by craytonic
bigkahunas4

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a tulip glass - thin tan head and fudgey black body. Not much retention but some decent lacing. Smell was of coffee and caramel. My girlfriend kept stealing the glass from me between sips to take in the aromatics.

Taste was excellent, mainly coffee with some chocolate. Also caught a bit of smokiness which was quite nice. Alcohol is completely masked. Was light yet creamy at the same time.. really had an exception consistency.

I loved this, and probably would call it my favorite stout up until this point. Whereas I feel some stouts go over the top with chocolate or coffee - this one really came off as simply awesome beer.

10-19-2008 18:38:28 | More by bigkahunas4
Matty1918

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to csmiley for this sample.

Poured into a pint glas.

Pours a deep black with a thin, brown creamy head. Not much head retention but some lacing.

Great aroma of coffee up front with traces of chocolate also. Smells just like a mocha shake.

First sip is of coffee. It tastes just like coffe that was fresh brewed, then put in the fridge to get cold. A nice subtle smokey flavor too. A faint hint of chocolate is there too.

The alcohol is well hidden in this baby. Not much carbonation but overall this is an enjoyable brew. I would buy this again in a second.

10-19-2008 16:38:11 | More by Matty1918
Shumista

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured half of the 12 oz. bottle I'm sharing into my snifter.
A- Pours a syrupy jet black with an impressive looking dark brown head. (This actually may be the darkest head I've ever seen on a beer.)
S- Very intense aroma. Lots of coffee, bitter chocolate and roasted malts.
T- So much flavor here, this beer is a dessert just by itself. Dark, bitter chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and a lingering bitterness at the end. Extremely balanced.
M- Thick and creamy. With everything else going on in this beer it would be easy to miss the creamy smoothness imparted on it from being an oatmeal stout. There is also a pleasant slightly noticeable alcohol presence as the beer warms. I really couldn't think of a better beer to sip after a great meal.
D- I wouldn't want more than one of these but I'm still giving it a high drinkability because of how easy it goes down.

Bottom Line: The best, most well balanced imperial stout I've had to date.

10-19-2008 03:13:00 | More by Shumista
lynx1245

4.7/5  rDev +4%

Split one of these with my friend Nick (ThreeWiseMen) who got it in a trade. Mucho thanks for letting me try this one Nick!

Appearance: Pitch black. Beautiful bubbly yet subdued head.This beer just looks like it tastes good.

Smell: Reminds me of chocolate chips and coffee which is a plus. However, the alcohol doesn't seem to be masked very well. Might just be because I had a big night of drinking and alcohol is not very appealing right now. Might have rated the smell higher under different conditions.

Taste: Oats, chocolate and coffee. It really does taste like breakfast. While I could smell the alcohol, there is very little alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy and almost no burning from the alcohol at all.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. It looks a little daunting at first but there is no unpleasant aftertaste and the mouthfeel is excellent.

10-19-2008 01:14:41 | More by lynx1245
HopEnthusiast

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

Tried this one on tap at Moe's Tavern in Lee, MA. Im not a big fan of stouts, but this one surprised me. Poured a thick coffee black with a brown head. Very strong coffee aroma. Tastes of coffee with chocolate undertones. A very nice solid full bodied beer. Willdefinitely try again sometime.

10-18-2008 02:11:52 | More by HopEnthusiast
morebeergood

I had lunch recently at Ted's Butcherblock in Charleston, SC. There are very few tables in this place, so I grabbed one as soon as I walked in. You can get sandwiches here, and enjoy a beer. My beer of choice was Founders. Poured into a stylish crystal wine glass. Color was black as tar. Not much carbonation. Decent sized head that faded quickly. Smell was of delicious roasted coffee and chocolate. Taste was fantastic. Tons of deep, dark flavors of wood, cocoa, and coffee. Nice and thick mouthfeel too, which is the way all Imperial Stouts should be. This is not a beer that you can drink quickly, though. It was a nice and slow brew to savor with a nice sandwich and to sip on long after I was done with my meal.

10-18-2008 00:20:58 | More by morebeergood
NCBeernut

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Opaque black. Old oil isn't even this black. Brown head, the color of coffee with a little bit of cream; decent retention for over 8%. Exactly what I expected.

Smell/Taste: Freshly ground coffee that you can smell if you are within 2 feet of this beer. Wonderful rich coffee aroma...maybe a more citrusy variety of coffee, maybe its just the hops. Dark chocolate. A touch of sweet aromas. Decadent. Coffee is still amazing in the taste. Nothing artificial tasting anywhere in this beer. I can't even imagine how much coffee they used to brew this. Chocolate is semi-sweet in the taste, and blends perfectly with the deep roasted flavors, which get a little help from the coffee. Soft citric notes come through a bit too...I think they are actually from the hops. I could make this my breakfast every day.

Mouthfeel: Silky and creamy. A little bite on the finish from the bitterness and roasted flavors contributed by the coffee...and maybe a little from the hops. Thick and chewy. Just what I was looking for.

Drinkability: A sipper, but what else could you expect. Do it justice. Still surprisingly easy to drink for what it packs.

The perfect breakfast beer. One of, if not THE best stout I have had. The caffiene from the coffee is noticeable, which I also like. I plan on keeping this in my regular rotation.

10-17-2008 21:07:47 | More by NCBeernut
jeremyd365

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Finally got to try this one--I've been looking forward to it for awhile. Poured an oily black with just the slightest remnants of a darker brown head. It smells deliciously of coffee and chocolate. It doesn't feel too thick-bodied and the flavor is wonderous--an explosion of cappicino, coffee, and chocolate, wit an aftertaste that lingers. This is a very drinkable and delicious imperial stout and I would highly recommend this one. I'll have to make sure I grab a 4-pack before they sell out for the season!

10-17-2008 15:46:18 | More by jeremyd365
bound4er

Wisconsin

3.4/5  rDev -24.8%

My first Founders - very excited that it's Breakfast Stout. This stuff pours black - it doesn't let any light shine through it either. A hard pour produced about 1/4" light brown head that fades fairly quickly. Some light wispy lacing remains.

It smells great - lots of roasted malt, coffee (with vanilla creamer added) and a caramelized brown sugar note.

The taste is a pretty big let down from the smell and appearance. Lots of bitterness - the detracting upfront kind that doesn't allow much flavor through. The bitterness hangs around on the finish too along with a hit of C2H5OH.

The beer does redeem itself with a thick, rich mouthfeel and moderate carbonation.

The bitterness keeps its drinkability down - I am not looking forward to my next sip - a bad sign for any beer.

Maybe this beer does need aging - I am not impressed at this point. I will revisit in a month or two.

10-16-2008 01:56:29 | More by bound4er
JoeyBeerBelly

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

I got a few bottles of this thanks to eyncognito and tburkhart, Thanks Ian and Thanks Tim!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - thick and black with a creamy tan head that left sheets of lacing on my glass.

S - the roasted coffee and dark chocolate aroma is wonderful.

T - rich, roasted coffee flavor, hints of dark chocolate, delicious!

F - thick and creamy, very smooth.

D - it doesn't get any better than this for the style.

10-16-2008 01:28:54 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
ThreeWiseMen

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shout out to fogdog for hooking me up with this beast!

Appearance: Pours a heavy and slick, very earthy-colored black with a slow-forming brown head. This pour reminds me a lot of Ten Fidy. The head seems crawl from the murky depths, then breed and multiply. After reaching it's peak of about a quarter inch, the head dies back down leaving a skin of lace where it once was.

Smell: I can smell the dark chocolate and coffee from several feet away. As I approach, that same smell intensifies. Oats, butter, toffee, and burnt toast add to the mix. 'Breakfast Stout' seems to be a very suiting name.

Taste: Keeping with the breakfast theme, this taste seems to go from chocolate chip pancakes, to black coffee, to fudgesicles (not breakfast, but I definitely taste it). There's a great buttery-toffee flavor that seems to cover everything, yet it's nowhere near dominant. Finish is somewhat dry and bitter, with a pretty strong oat character.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy and very smooth. Carbonation is mild. Great warming. Somewhat slick. Really, really, enjoyable!

Drinkability: I want another, but I don't know if I have any more room in my belly. I was starving when I cracked this thing open, and now, three-quarters of the way through, I'm getting full. But the flavor is sooo good. I don't know what to do. This beer is fantastic! Great taste! Yet, filling!

10-15-2008 19:42:31 | More by ThreeWiseMen
Auslander

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

Purchased a single 12 ounce bottle at Piccolo's Wine Shop for $4.25. Pours thick and black with a dark brown head. Very strong coffee aroma. Tastes of coffee with chocolate undertones. Nice solid mouth feel. I enjoyed this stout. I certainly lives up to the hype.

10-15-2008 17:26:21 | More by Auslander
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

2008 vintage served in my DFH snifter. Poured an opaque black with a half inch mocha-colored head that quickly settled into a soapy swirl. A band of foam coalesced around the shoulders of the glass. Some lacing present during the tasting, but weak legs. Nose is coffee beans, brown sugar, malt and a grapefruit sweetness (weird and out of place, but I picked it up nonetheless). Taste follows nose as well as oats. Mouthfeel is medium and lightly effervescent. Could have had a little more body for the style. Finish was also a bit chalky. All and all, easy drinking and flavorful without being overly sweet. Alcohol was well-hidden. I'd make this a staple if it were more readily available. This beer definitely lived up to my expectations.

10-15-2008 01:25:12 | More by Jwale73
BDIMike

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a completely black, oil color. There is very little carbonation that creates a thin, brown colored lace atop the crew.
Smell has a very strong coffee bean smell to it. There is also a good amount oats in the smell and a bit of chocolate also.
Taste is very strong with the fresh coffee beans and oats. Chocolate malts are prevalent with a good hop taste at the end of the sip.
Mouthfeel has a nice smoothness with a very thin liquid. Leaves a bit of a chewiness in the mouth.
Drinkability is very nice for such a complex beer. There is a good amount of coffee and oat and chocolate, but the subtle hop flavors are what keep the malts from overpowering your tastebuds. Very nice combination of tastes and a beer that would be great for any occassion, especially on a nice cold weather day.

10-14-2008 00:51:13 | More by BDIMike