Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,209
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A: Nice mocha head that lingers. The color of the beer itself is black as night, with no hints of any other colors.

S: Wonderful coffee smell, with chocolate, oats, and malt. There is also a nice sweetness that finishes the nose.

T: Rich, bitter coffe, dark and lucious. There is also dark chocolate, alcohol notes, and a nice smokey finish.

M: Velvety and perfectly carbonated.

D: Goes down easy enough and the ABV is not overly stated.

Metuo, Sep 19, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

After a vigorous pour into a ridel wine gass a fine bubbled tan head rose from the blackness.

Smells reminiscent of black coffee and oatmeal not much else, but overall not bad at all.

Taste is very coffee forward but you do get some oats chickory and a toch of sweet malt at the back

Mouthfeel could have been a bit thicker moderate to little carbonantion was what I was expecting and was nivcely executed.

Drinkability too coffee forward for me to overly sessioned but overall not bad, abv is well hidden

STEG, Sep 19, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Pours pitch black with a thin ring of light tan head.

S: COFFEE! Some roasted malts and dark chocolate are in the background, but the nose is overwhelmingly full of coffee.

T: Be sure to let this warm for a while before drinking - it gets much better. As with the nose, coffee is dominant in the flavor. You could even say coffee with sweetener in it. A little oat comes through in the mid palate before a strong finish of slightly bitter, dark roast coffee. As the brew warms, notes of chocolate begin to emerge, providing nice balance and changing the overall flavor profile to more of a mocha.

M: Full bodied, but just barely. A little booze comes through in the finish.

D: A very enjoyable imperial stout. I think it wold be even better if it reigned in the huge coffee presence just a little. But very good nonetheless.

MrDanno96, Sep 19, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I look forward to this brew coming out every September...The time has come in 2010. Wahoo!

A: Pours a thick, black oil that resembles nothing less than liquified coffee grounds. A small trail of bubbles for a head adds to the sight.

S: Coffee, coffee, COFFEE! Did I mention I smell coffee? Not of the Maxwell House variety, but something much, much more enticing. No chocolate, fruit, oatmeal, or anything like that has yet to poke it's sinister head.

T: Strong coffee taste at first, with the coffee spice staining the tongue with taste and just staying there for the duration of the session. The chocolate then makes an appearance, first texturally, then mixed into the coffee bean mayhem. This particular brand of chocolate really reminds me of Scharffen Berger dark chocolate.

M: Here is where the oatmeal make it's contribution. The texture of the beer is like a slick, slimy chocolate milk, with a little bit of rye-like aftertaste (oatmeal). The carbonation lightly sizzles the tongue. Sure the beer coats, but oh what a damn good coat!

D: As I'm sure the brewers at Founders would agree: This one is a sipper. Not just because the ABV is 8.3% (which I guess is not THAT bad), but because the beer is so flooded with taste, it's best enjoyed by savoring every drop. I'm not a big fan of coffee, but I love it in beer. This is one of the best of the best in that realm.

Chaney, Sep 19, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Deep dark brown pour with a large layer of foamy brown head.

Aroma is baking chocolate, come coffee and nice roasty malts.

Flavor follows the aroma quite closely but with the malts and slight bitterness from the hops really making their presence felt.

I'd say its a little bit more carbonated and bubbly than I prefer - I think the mouthfeel could be better if it was just a bit more syrupy and thick, but as it stands, still excellent.

Potent flavors make this one a bit tough to drink more than one of, but considering the high ABV its very drinkable.

All in all a great beer - I would drink this anytime I'm looking for a nice big stout.

thetomG, Sep 18, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

On Draught at Thirsty Monk where is was being run through a Randall-like beer filter with cacao nibs. It was as dark and lovely as its unaltered parent. The cacao nibs increased the chocolate aroma (duh!) and brought forth a bittersweet bite at the front of the tongue. The stout melded very nicely with the cacao nibs, carrying the bitter sweetness throughout the tongue and mouth.
It finished with an almost bark-like dryness.
Glad I got the chance to witness the combination of nibs and beer.

callmeopus, Sep 18, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Good ol' session with BA infi, much thanks for him on telling me this was available. Poured into a Duvel Tulip.

L: Poured jet black with a small mocha head. One finger head that retreated very fast. Lacing was very little, if anything at all through out the tulip.

S: What a delicious smell. The word 'Breakfast Stout' perfectly describes this! A great overwhelming smell of Coffee, followed by chocolate and malts. As my friend described it (and I agree): It's almost a coffee Coolatta smell from Dunkin' Donuts.

T: Great tasting stout! Taste of coffee, which then introduces you to the chocolate and malts in a delicious manner. The taste of alcohol is very well hidden in this beer. This blend works well with me and almost tastes like the coffee (with a kick) that is brewed to me in the morning for breakfast.

M: Medium bodied feel with medium carbonation. Though I expected a more heavy bodied feel with this beer, it still can not take away from the delicious taste and it is something that I can willfully ignore.

D: Took me a whole hour to finish one beer. Only because I wanted to savor this beer to its last drop. If I had many more on stock, I'm sure I would be able to finish one within 5-10min easily. I would recommend this beer to anyone and everyone.

NYManc, Sep 18, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Had a bottle last night. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark black color with one and a half fingers of tan head and light carbonation evident. Looks amazing.

s - Smells of coffee, roasted malts, cocoa, vanilla, and chocolate.

t - Tastes of coffee, roasted malts, both bitter and sweet chocolate, and vanilla.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Rich and very smooth; very easy to drink considering it's over 8% ABV.

d - I think this may be my favorite stout that is widely available and I'm able to buy straight off the shelf. Coffee is the front runner in the smell and taste, but it is very well balanced in both. I enjoy how the taste has both sweet chocolate and bitter chocolate/coffee balanced very well. Have had it many times and love the fact that when it comes out it's available on the shelves for months. Will definitely buy more and would recommend to anyone who likes stouts.

mdfb79, Sep 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -6%

2 finger head, caramel toffee cream colored, pitch black other wise. Ok it's lovely.

The coffee stink it the first thing i noticed in this beer (stink in a nice way lol). Actually, it's espresso strong. Oddly I've never noticed this before as I've had this beer 3-4 times before. Thank you Delirium glass! Some malt and maybe some roasted coco in there as well?

Finishes with the coffee flavor. Burnt malt opens this beer. There's a touch of coco but hardly anything strong here. A touch cool we'll let this bad boy warm. Room temp now and to be honest it's just sweeter and perhaps not as good. The chocolate might be more pronounced but the coffee/espresso flavor is far less impressive. Drink under 65 degrees I think is the rule here, not to say you should have this nearly frozen like a macro!

This is a thick stout but FAR FAR from a monster stout expectation. Truly amazing how drinkable this is.

The mouth is great. Silky, thin for a stout, but thick otherwise. Carbonation is still here, but not over powering. A truly DRINKABLE sipper.

OK this isn't a top 10 beer (are you kidding me?) but it's amazing stuff and at 10 for a 4 pack it might be a top 10 value beer. Beyond worthy of a try.

bobhits, Sep 18, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

Having just finished the better part of this beer I can honestly say I prefer it to KBS. Black, thick dense dark tan head. Fades to a thin tan ring and leaves lots of lacing for a stout. Smells, well like coffee, chocolate, vanilla, roasted barley. Tastes kinda the same, but thats a good thing. Rich chocolate coffee flavors up front, a litte vanilla. Bitter but clean on the back end. A little thinner in the mouth than anticipated but still very rich. Not cloying nor tiresome to the palate. A truly grade A beer.

pmlondrigan, Sep 16, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

I have always enjoyed the breakfast stout. There is a huge coffee flavor to this beer and I could almost drink it for breakfast. Founders is a great brewery and I enjoyed this tasty brew on a saturday morning around 11 am.

I would recommend this beer to anyone whom enjoys coffee flavored beers

LanceW, Sep 15, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

A- black as night with a thin coffee colored head some lacing
S- a creamy lactose nose coupled with tons of espresso coffee beans and chocolate almost like a light colombian coffee
T- the creaminess definitely comes in first followed by a wave of coffee and milk chocolate. The bottle claims Double Chocolate its most probably overshadowed by the abundance of the coffee i think it also lightens the bitterness of the coffee, extremely tasty!
M- somewhat thin for an imperial stout, the oats in this brew definitely gave it a smooth creamy texture, its not viciously thick which in this case was welcome.
D- very very tasty and drinkable
Does it live up to the hype? i think its an amazing brew definitely worth the 21 bucks i paid for a 4 pack initially i thought it was a lighter peche mortel but as i went through a couple of bottles i appreciated the double chocolate character which peche doesnt offer and in this case offsets the bitterness typical of coffee stouts and creates quite an amazing experience go out and get some!

foogerd, Sep 15, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a nonic glass.

A: black hole color (nothing escapes, not even light), rocky cappuccino-colored 2-finger head that slowly melts into a persistent and enticing cap, the lacing is like gorilla glue.

S: espresso, dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, buttermilk pancakes.

T: all of the nosed flavors, plus an earthy, mocha-like middle, and a dry finish that screams unsweetened cocoa. Initially I was going to give this a 4, but I changed to a 4.5 based on the great balance and harmonious interplay of the flavors. An impressive offering.

M: rich, creamy, almost milk-like, the carbonation is gentle.

D: Stout: It's what's for breakfast. Delicious, balanced, but it is missing an intangible for me. Je ne sais quoi. As an interesting note, I told my partner to smell this beer and asked him what he detected. He smelled it deeply, and smelled it again, and then smelled it a third time, and declared: "Urine." To which I replied: "If urine smelled like that, I would drink it."

Erish, Sep 15, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a rick black color with a thick brown head. Opaque and very dense.

Smells of heavy chocolate with hints of coffee.

The chocolate is the forerunner of flavor. Sweet and malty. Coffee notes with a bit of a nutty aftertaste.

It's a thick and hefty beer but its smooth. You almost want to chew it.

This is a great dessert beer. I was wondering how awesome it would be to have it with ice cream or pie. Having it over ice cream would be delicious as well.

cjacobsen, Sep 14, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

I recently reviewed this out of the bottle, but I had this on tap tonight. Much better!

A: A little tan head sitting atop a midnight black brew. Very pretty.

S: Wow! Coffee dominates here. A little bitter chocolate notes in the background, which sooth the nose. Very impressive.

T: Sweet Java Gods! It amazes me how much coffee I was missing out on when I had this out of the bottle. Coffee up front with some soothing chocolate pulling through near the end. The bitter aftertaste makes my mouth beg for more. This is one of the best-tasting beers I've had.

M: Medium-bodied and smooth. More carbonation than I would like, but not overkill either.

D: One is enough for me, but that one will satisfy me for hours to come. I could drink this for breakfast any day.

Please do yourself a favor and drink this fresh!

Dunkle, Sep 14, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Beautiful black stout with a nice inch of mocha head which sits like meringue for a while. Lacing left is immaculate, on par with the Abyss. This one looks amazing.

S - Intense coffee and espresso mixed in with some bitter dark chocolate. A hint of sweet roasted malt is also notable.

T - Same flavors in order of the smell. Get a nice bang of coffee/espresso up front with a nice bitter chocolate to end things. The roasted flavors carry throughout. Don't get much alcohol, although when it was cold, I felt it was more apparent. The coffee and chocolate flavors explode when it warms. This one is a treat from the second you take it out of the fridge. I try to let mine warm up to close to room temperature, but it is so hard with such a great beer.

M - Well let's just say this doesn't feel like an 8% beer. You get a tad of alcohol coating the mouth, but not much. Stellar. This one feels low-medium bodied to me for an imperial stout, which is all the more appealing. Medium carbonation, just about right.

D - If you don't like coffee in your stout you won't probably care for this one. I personally don't drink coffee, but this is an awesome beer. I'd drink one in place of a cup of coffee every morning if it wouldn't be so wrong. Oh yea, drinkability... This one is great. You'd never know it was 8%, but you'll feel it for sure.

Bonis, Sep 14, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Solid 93% from me. However, age it, age it, age it. The flavors are not nearly as developed in a relatively fresh one I had. It is far better in early spring after the winter. Right now it seems a bit more disjointed and spicy as the flavors are moving through their paces after you swallow, but are each too "raw" and are tuned to a cedar-like intensity. Still I find this beer more drinkable than the KBS which I basically split with someone and have my fill. I think by spring this batch should be just as good as the last.

willPS21, Sep 14, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -18.1%

Smell is rich...very rich. Very deep coffee notes with some bitter chocolate there as well. As rich as an aroma can be.

Pours absolutely black with a thin, tan head. Looks viscous coming out of the bottle.

The taste follows the aroma pretty closely. Carbonation is a bit higher than I figured an imperial stout would be. Taste is predominately of powerful coffee notes, with some pretty bitter chocolate paired with it. The oats give this a bit of creaminess that's welcomed. There's a minimal amount of hop bitterness on the backend but it's pretty inconsequential. After the swallow, bitter coffee lingers for a while...like just having taken a swig of cold coffee.

Going in, I questioned if I'd like this beer. Coming out, I can't fault it for what it is, since it's labeled as a "double chocolate oatmeal coffee stout". The coffee and chocolate notes are done well, and firmly.

NODAK, Sep 13, 2010

Another great bottle shared by the uber-generous tlay10. Poured into my brand-spanking-new Bruery tulip.

Looks: inky. Pours a deep sable with a medium-bubbled head the color of dark cinnamon. The head dissipates slowly, but becomes a ring with film in due time.

Smells: like the coffee aisle. Nicely bitter espresso with cream, along with some bacon, steak, charcoal and oats.

Tastes: charred. Along with the flavors described above, we have steak gristle, black coffee and a tiny amount of sweet cream.

Feels: foamy. The carbonation is medium-high and the body is medium-light until it explodes with foam as it moves about the mouth.

Drinks: living under the shadow of its big brother KBS, it's easy to overlook Breakfast Stout. But that would be a mistake; this beer is quaffable, tasty and a fantastic display of breakfast flavors.

Phelps, Sep 12, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Smokin' Joe's on Pittsburgh's Southside. I have to say, after one taste, this was the best tasting Stout I have ever had.

A: Pours a thick black color, with a moderate one finger foam head that sticks around for most of the taste. There is sufficient lacing as well.

S: Lots of chocolate, coffee, vanilla with a small amount of alcohol. Extremely sweet smelling.

T: The malt sweetness is tremendous. The coffee flavor blends nicely with the chocolate and vanilla so that sweetness is not as overpowering. Great balance! This was extremely delicious.

M: Leaves a semi sweet thick creamy feel on the palate.

D: This beer is extremely easy to drink. Despite an 8% ABV, I could enjoy several quite easily in a sitting.

IronCitySteve, Sep 12, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Founders Breakfast Stout
Founders Brewing Co.
American Double/Imperial Stout
8.3% ABV
OG?
60 IBUs
12 oz bottle, bottled August 30, 2010, poured into a New Belgium snifter on September 11, 2010.

Appearance 5/5
Pours impenetrable black with a big, creamy, dark mocha colored head, that stays throughout the course of the beer; although the head did recede from its initial glory, it left an excellent lacing. No beer is actually black and this one was clear dark brown at the edges. Looks the way a stout ought to look.

Aroma 4/5
Intense coffee and some malty sweetness; thing smells more like coffee than coffee itself. No hops. Very fitting name. Some alcohol is notable at room temperature.

Taste 4/5
Firmly coffee-bitter, with some accompanying malty sweetness. Slight coffee-ish acidity, that is enhanced as the beer warms up, and plays well with the understated malty sweetness. A powdered chocolate-ish finish with a lingering bitterness, right into the throat. Doesn't linger for too long though which brings the drinkability to maximum. Overall, the finish is medium with some residual sweetness, and *none* of the ashtray character of over-roasted coffee. Hops are mute in this one, which is probably good. To me, this is an style by itself, so the idea of having any hop aroma or taste seems out of accord. No booziness at all at any temperature even though I could sense some in aroma when the beer was warm. This is coffee in a stout: I don't detect much roast or any hops; everything about this stout seems like coffee riding over a solid beer, and very well integrated. The only reason this doesn't get a full score is because I am comparing it to the elder brother, KBS.

Mouthfeel 5/5
It's probably the oatmeal, but this one has the silkiness of a stout on cask. Medium carbonation, which is fitting. It is warming. I have had too many "big" beers to call the body huge, but in all honesty, this is above average in general, and fitting for a stout, if not exceptionally "imperial".

Drinkability 5/5
Very very good. For this body and this ABV, this beer goes down very easy. It can be had fast, which is dangerous! It's like the "hard" version of some coffee based drink (can't name because I like my coffee black and don't have much experience)

Other
I haven't given this one a straight 5, although I think it is exceptional. However, Founders KBS is better. This beer lacks the complexity of its big brother in the aroma & taste department. Yet, I know that I am underrating this one.

tewaris, Sep 12, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Pitch black and thick with literally no head whatsoever... Not sure why

Aroma: Coffee, chocolate, sweet alcohol notes and a little burnt bitterness in the background

Taste/Mouthfeel: Rich coffee and milk chocolate, burnt and roasted dark malts. Mouthfeel is creamy, silky and coats tongue.

Notes: Very tasty, very drinkable. Tastes like a delicious coffee chocolate beverage.

seh410, Sep 12, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into my pint glass this brew pours deep space black with a small tan head that is quick to dissipate. Seems like my glass might be a little oily, thankfully I have multiple of these brews.

S: This brew is a coffee explosion. Unlike some stouts of this nature, FBS is rich and refined. The coffee is backed up with a smooth smelling chocolate base. Toasty oats keep this brew well balanced.

T: As with the nose, coffee is the main flavor note, but is well refined and not harsh. Dark chocolate matched with a hopped bitterness make this brew something special.

MF/D: The mouthfeel is medium, but a little on the light side. I would have liked something a little more viscous. The drinkability, however, is superior. Impossibly flavorful and smooth, I feel like I can really drink this one for breakfast.

Overall, I want to thank lurchingbeast for this trade. I've had KBS before, and unfortunately didn't have the chance to review it yet. KBS, by the way, is the ultimate stout. Lurchingbeast secured me 4 of these babys and and another 3 KBS'. It really is amazing that Founders can take FBS, which can hold it's own against the Dark Lords, and Speedways, and mold it into a beer that will blow your mind. MMHMHMHHMH Breakfast Stout!!!

TKEbeerman, Sep 10, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

After a half year wait I've finally got my hands on the legendary Breakfast Stout and I'll say right off the bat that I'm highly impressed and will recommend this beer to any and everyone I consider a friend. It's not only that good - it's accessible as hell too.

Approach the bottle, marvel at the inky blackness pouring into the glass, the subtle head which quickly recedes into a beautiful lace, and the absolute lack of color playing in the light. For the style, this is an above-exceptional look and the prime motivator for anyone in the vicinity to ask that I share. They can buy their own.

One of the best smelling beers I've discovered, it's almost all iced-coffee and super dark chocolate at first, expanding to hint at nearly everything in the bottle with a deep breath. This is what I'd consider majorly inviting.

As the bottle says straightforwardly: "double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout," this one hits those notes precisely, if not exactly in that order. First off is sharp coffee on the tip of the tongue - but a good coffee. I've tried at least a dozen "java" or otherwise coffee-themed beers and almost all have a gas-station "espresso" taste to them - ie. not really coffee. This one tastes like the real deal and satisfies accordingly. Next comes the chocolate and it comes on solidly but never overwhelming. This is no milkshake. Finally everything is tied together with the true smoothness of an oatmeal stout like Samuel Smith's or another of it's ilk - this aspect really solidifies the taste on a level above most of its peers.

Mouthfeel is a total knockout with the Breakfast Stout. Coating the tongue and working its way outward, every taste receptor feels stood to attention. Smooth yet full, thick but never even close to overwhelming... this brew goes down so easily I'm almost tempted to gulp my way to the next glass. But that would be robbing me of the exquisite experience of savoring the beer and inevitably lead to a morning headache since the 8.3% abv is completely subverted and masked. As I said to a friend after a couple of them, "Children could drink this!" Please note that 'could' is very different from 'should' - thank you.

All in all I must say that despite any skepticism I held, Founders Breakfast Stout delivers wholeheartedly on its promise (and hype) as one of the best beers around. The only downside is its limited availability so be sure to grab a few packs this fall and thoroughly enjoy yourself. Just be sure to cellar a few as every indication is that this one ages brilliantly.

optimistictour, Sep 10, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Dark brown, almost black. Brown head, not too much of it and it disappears quickly

S: LOTS of coffee and an underlying sweet chocolate aroma. Very rich and roasty

T: Wow. Unbelievable. Deep, rich and complex. Lots of chocolate and coffee. Not sure what the ABV is on this but it tastes pretty high. Usually that's fairly off-putting but somehow it works with this flavor profile.

M: Not much carbonation, thick but not very sticky. Feels lighter than most beers that are this dark.

D: Really great. I couldn't drink more than one or two in a sitting, but I could probably drink no other beer for the rest of my life and die a happy man.

Overall, this is definitely a beer that I would go out of my way to get. It's a little pricey, but definitely worth it.

DaveBlack, Sep 10, 2010