Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,227
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

I have a 1/2 barrel of this on tap in my home. Founders packaged my particular keg on Oct 11, 2010 and I took possession of it on Nov 19, 2010. This is the most expensive keg I've EVER had! After tax and 0 waste, this stout cost me $2.15 per pint. So no matter how good my review, chances are that I will never pay this much again for home beer.

Appears as a beautiful stout should. Pours marvelous at 15psi with 1" of foam on full speed pours through 1/8" lines, stainless couplers, shanks and Perlick faucets. I have never had a beer so well behaved.

The smell is coffee mainly. Wonderful, amazing coffee like I've never smelled before. I am not a coffee fan, but adore coffee beer. Very faint chocolate odor might exist and maybe subtle, dark fruit....prune? I really expected to smell much more.

The taste is amazing. From the tip of my tongue to the back, there's no t-bud left unsatisfied. But mainly, I'm still getting almost exclusively coffee. I think if this beer were allowed to age the chocolate would eventually emerge.

Mouthfeel is great. The beer is a treat and a novelty and I'll enjoy every last pint. It's amazing and I'm so grateful to have the luxury of enjoying an entire keg.

The drinkability for me is high. I could easily consume 6 or 7 pints of this (And not be worth a sh!t), but have an amazing time (I'm sure). To be honest, for 8.3% abv, this beer is far too drinkable. I wish I could give it a 6.

In conclusion, Thank God for Founders. Every beer they brew is fantastic and their normal Breakfast Stout is certainly no exception. But again, the price per pint is so excessive that I cannot in good faith justify buying this for home consumption. I will most likely turn to Heine Brother's Coffee Stout brewed by BBC in Louisville as an excellent alternative (87¢ per pint for mug club members)

imn2it, Dec 03, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

A(ppearance) - Thick, creamy, brown head and a deep, deep brown (nearly black) appearance. On visuals alone it looked delectable, like a meal rather than a drink.

S(mell) - Not as vibrant as I expected. Hints of coffee and roasted chocolate, but not overpowering. Needed to get right onto the glass to really get it.

T(aste) - Like a dream of a perfect woman in your embrace just before waking in the morning. Which is to say, utterly divine. VERY full flavored, like a meal in a glass. None of the breakfasty flavors are way up front, though. You don't taste strong chocolate or coffee; they're just hints in an impressive weave of roasty, malty flavors. It's perfectly balanced so that it tastes like a complex stout with some smokey nuances and a smoothness (probably brought on by the chocolate) that belies its bitterness. I'm impressed. Hyped beers often don't live up to it. This one does.

M(outhfeel)- Heavy mouthfeel, yet went down more easily than stouts of similar consistency. Only slightly as dry on the mouth as, say, an imperial stout. Very pleasant considering its potency.

D- Stupidly good stout that really *would* make a good breakfast if it weren't for the alcohol. Offers a complex yet not challenging taste. None of the boasted flavored (chocolate, coffee, oatmeal) are prominent, instead mixing into a pleasing and heady beverage. Considering it's a high ABV and very complex stout, it's surprisingly drinkable. Believe the hype.

Serving type: bottle, into standard pint glass. Bottle room temperature, glass chilled but not frozen/cold.

Shoegaze99, Dec 03, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

A) Almost black with a creamy, frothy head on top. Head has some carmel and golden colors as well

S) Definite strong rich coffee smell

T) Tastes of bitter, almost tangy chocolate with a strong coffee flavor.

M) There isn't a lot of carbonation with this beer, leaves a little bubbly feeling with a rich coffee taste and bitter flavor

D) Very drinkable, beer goes down smooth, very enjoyable; could definitely drink more that one in a sitting.

Charlotte09, Dec 03, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Darka darka darka small thin dark brown head that just sits there hanging around, doesnt seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Looks yummy. Interesting lacing sticks where it wants to but quickly falls away where it does not.

S - Strong smell of coffee, roasted malts loitering, woody earthy smell throughout.

T - Rich, robust, flavorful, complex. Coffee and roasted malts are pretty strong, earthy taste in the background, alcohol is apparent throughout but not to strong.

M - Consistent, not to thick but just right, definitely nice consistency for a stout. More carbonation than some stouts but nice.

D - Lets just say i am definitely glad i got a 4 pack. This is up there on my list. I will definitely be enjoying this one again and the price is not to bad either. I am excited to drink this one for breakfast to see if it lives up to its name. Will i be hungry by lunch? We shall see.

Frothboss, Dec 02, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

A
Pours jet black with a thin dark tan head that diissipates quickly

S
Chocolate, woodsy, french roast coffee, cream, slight alcohol

T
Intense and even blend of roasted malts, coffee, and dark chocolate with a trailing bitterness.

M
Viscous, but not syrupy. Mid-tongue tingle.

D
Very hearty and filling. Probably best with an appetizer or light meal. I don't have a ton of experience with chocolate stouts, but I would say this is more drinkable that some of the others I've had.

adsomers, Dec 01, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

S: It smells like a dark complex coffee.

A: Pitch black with a small tan head that quickly dissipates. Leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

T: It tastes coffee and chocolate and ends with a great dry coco powder taste to it, phenomenal taste. Not too strong, just the perfect amount of deep complex flavour. The balance in the beer is amazing, and something I have never tasted before.

M: It has the consistency of water but it feels like cream.

D: This is a fantastic beer and is the best stout I have ever had, hands down.

Weebay, Dec 01, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2%

A: Dark brown to black with a beautiful tan head

S: Brewed coffee with toasted nuts and oatmeal. (smells like breakfast)

T: Coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Becomes more intense as the beer warms

M: Full-body/Hearty

D: Nice combination of a coffee stout, a oatmeal stout and a chocolate stout all compressed into 1 bottle. Will drink again

Giggy, Dec 01, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

S: It smells like a cafe mocha. Sniffing this beer conjurs up images of coffee beans.

A: Gorgeous appearance. Dark as night, just what I expect from my stouts.

T: It tastes like coffee and dark bittersweet chocolates

M: I think the mouthfeel is what makes this beer my craving beer. I love that it's thin and carbonated when you take your sip but then when it's in your mouth it's thick and creamy. It's delicious.

D: This beer is wonderful, the 8.3% ABV definitely slows you down and enjoy all the flavors, especially as the beer warms.

drea0695, Nov 30, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

It reeks of coffee.Pours out black with a thin layer of head and a fair bit of fizz.

First pull explodes with coffee flavor and a hint of chocolate. A little creamy and a mellow after taste that only bites for a second. This stuff is delicious and leaves you excited for the next glug.

A top notch stout. can't think of anything negative about this beer. i will definetly be in the market for more. Do yourself a favor and go get some!

BrewBastard, Nov 30, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle poured into tulip

A - Black, dark mocha head. I did a gentle pour but this beer still gushed all over the place. I let it settle then poured again super slowly but it still erupted. It didn't smell or taste infected but am confused as to why this happened. Maybe overcarbonated but doubt it

S - Coffee, chocolate, roasty, vanilla, some molasses.

T - Bittersweet chocolate, roasted coffee, chocolate milk, some smoke. Excellent tasting

M/D - This beer was super creamy and very good mouthfeel. It is a heavy beer but a good drinker. Still not sure about why it gushed everywhere, it was a proper pour and didn't have any signs of infection and the carbonation was good. Weird. Delicious brew.

OakedCanuck, Nov 29, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2%

A: Pours with a small tan head on top of a dark brown body that is just a shade of black.

S: DELICIOUS. The aroma is strong coffee with a touch of chocolate and a hint of hops. There might have even been a touch of vanilla as well.

T: The taste starts out with coffee and chocolate. There is also a some bitterness, especially towards the end of the taste. There is also a hint of vanilla and a touch of alcohol. The alcohol is barley noticeable. The bitterness is a little too much.

M: The carbonation is at a good level with a thick and creamy mouthfeel. Nothing mind blowing, just good.

D: It is rich and wonderful. Solid beer and smooth and sippable.

OnThenIn, Nov 29, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -8.6%

On tap at The Pizza Peel. This review isn't going to be the greatest: In my beer nerd-dom, I seem to have misplaced the napkin that I wrote down all the particulars about this beer on.

I will say, I've had this brew out of the bottle, and the difference between the bottle and the tap version are night and day--or should I say night and night, given the color of this brew: As dark as midnight, without a single ray of penetration. Granted, it's dark in the Peel, but even as I held it up to the lamp on my table, I couldn't get anything. Sweeet.

Smells delicious, like a fresh cup of iced coffee mixed with some melted chocolate and then spiked with a little bit of Wild Turkey. I love the aroma.

Taste is (dare I say it) slightly underwhelming. Definitely better than it was in the bottle, and fresh as can be. But...I'm not sure. I've had KBS, and I guess that'll permanently ruin a man if he tries to downgrade from there.

Nonetheless, a very solid brew for a winter evening. It's the perfect time of year for a breakfast stout. Wind down the day with it...or top off your glass in the morning before heading out to the daily grind. Either way, you'll definitely enjoy this one.

Chadpaq, Nov 29, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2%

one of my favorite beers of all time, I wish i had the space to age my beers so i could try this one in a few years. Otherwise this beer is awesome. The coffee presence is undeniable. the thick, black, tan appearance is simply awesome. I will buy this beer every year without a doubt

davesway10, Nov 28, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Poured out a midnight black in color somewhat similar to motor oil. A dark caramel head shows itself for a minute then disappears into oblivion. No lacing to mention.

S: Coffee bean, dark chocolate, molasses.

T: You can taste the coffee right out the get go followed by the richness of the chocolate. Some nuttiness in the back rounds things off a bit. Very complex beer, still needs to warm just a tad and looking forward to see how this one plays out.

M: Full in body, chewy, abv noticeable without worry, just enough carbonation to give it a little action.

D: One great sipper if there ever was one. Probably the only time you will catch me drinking in the morning while not at a Bills game. Saving the next few for the upcoming holidays, as this a real treat.

Recommended

BuffaloTapHugger, Nov 27, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

A-black, dark tan head, quite a site!

S-wow, dark heavy chocolate and dark roasted coffee. smells a lot like fresh roasted bold black coffee.

T-thick coffee flavor with some roasted malts and some cocoa flavors. After-taste is filled with dark chocolate coffee notes. this is just a perfect beer. the tastes are just so thick! there are no negative aspects!

M-medium carbonation. soft feel on the mouth. the end isn't creamy, dry, or watery...i don't know where to place it

D-its a sipper but wow is this good! i could definitely drink this all night long with a big smile on! when experienced slowly...its drinkablity is near perfect.

AdamBear, Nov 27, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -11.9%

Purchased Nov. 24, 2010, consumed Nov. 26, 2010.
12 oz. poured into old fashioned glass (not optimal)
8.3%, 60 IBUs

Appearance - inky, black, opaque, with a mocha brown head that dissipates into a patchy disk and leaves some lacing.... A solid looking stout, but not quite the lasting head I really like to see.

Smell - Coffee dominates the nose with a hint of chocolate in the background (as far as I can tell, no discernible hop presence)

Taste - Coffee again dominates, but there is a fair amount of chocolate presence (like a dark bittersweet chocolate). There is a slight bitterness on the back end. It reminds me of taking a sip of black coffee and then having a bite of dark chocolate. Very nice.

Mouthfeel - Nice and chewy for the ABV (from the oatmeal?). Medium to low carbonation (on par with the style)

Drinkability - This is a very nice coffee stout, but it didn't blow me away like I had hoped.

shageman331, Nov 27, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Into the pint glass you go...alright, here we go:

A - Super dark, if not black then really darn close. Nice head, not over-bearing...looks good

S - Chocolate and malt...nice

T - Phenomenal - Chocolate, coffee, vanilla - tastes really good

M - thick and creamy - perfect

D - A couple would be nice, then you're done

Overall fantastic brew...

in780, Nov 27, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

I bought a case of this beer without trying it first due to the high ratings and comments on BA. Now I finally see what all the hype is about...

A: I chose to use a Sam Adams Pint Glass for this brew. This beer pours dark as coal. There is no light getting through on this one. Very little head, unless you pour the beer from a slightly raised height, which dissipates quickly.

S: Outstanding roasted expresso coffee aroma. This is a beer you'll want to breathe in, as I did, with each and every sip.

T: Tastes just like it smells. An initial roasted expresso coffee bitterness, that gently fades to a smooth, light chocolate-malty finish. This definitely tasted better as it warmed up in the glass.

M: Very little carbonation with a thicker, creamy backbone. Smoooth...

D: This is a "sipper" for sure. I can only have two or three in one sitting with the higher ABV. After having one, you will be spoiled and want another. In my top 10 beers of all time!!!

cmq103, Nov 26, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Had this a while back but never did review it. This time I decided to have one while eating a slice of my Bourbon Pecan Pie (If I only had a KBS...) so my drinkability description will be two fold. !. The beer on it's own, and 2. The beer paired with a tasty, rich dessert.

A - Very much black. Not any head to speak of, with exception to some slight foaming atop the beer around the edges.

S - Coffee, with hints of molasses and caramelized malts. No real hint of teh alcohol - very well hidden at 8.3%

T - Much like the nose, but add in a bitter dark chocolate presence as well. Not overly sweet at all, but very well balanced.

M - Creamy with a touch of aftertaste. As evidenced by the lack of head, no real carbonation going on

D - As I mentioned, I had this with a very rich dessert. Before I began eating the dessert, I drank about 1/3 of the beer to get a sense of what it was all about before I damaged my palate with such a rich dessert. What I noticed was everything in the tasting notes. A very good and extremely drinkable stout that finishes quite pleasantly.

Once I began eating the pie, I noticed that the sweetness of the pie brought out even more of the bitter chocolate taste. The well balanced beer became a perfect accessory for such a sweet dessert. It seemed as if both items infused with each other as I ate, drank. I'd say this becomes even more drinkable when paired with sweet, dark desserts.

gopens44, Nov 26, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured this one Thanksgiving Morning 2010. Nice way to start the day and get my 24 hours of gluttonous moving along..

A -Pours nice and black with a beatl espresso brown but then thin head.

S - Nice Roast, Lost of Coffee and a bit of sweetness

T - Just a bit bitter with lots of nice coffee. The coffee is balanced well with the sweetness and slight smoke.

M - Its a bit sticky and thick but not overpowering for this style. I expect a certain amount of body for this style and this one doesn't disappoint.

D - I suppose for this style this is very drinkable but overall I don't find myself wanting more than one in a single sitting.

AndrewNations, Nov 25, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanksgiving morning with the fam comingover in a few hours, figured no better way to start a long day than to have a classic breakfast stout.

A - Pours black with a hint of dark brown on the edges. Twist off cap so this one is at least a year old...probably plays a role in the lack of bubble/carbonation.

S - Big roast immediately. Coffee and some sugar. Mostly coffee though.

T - Bitter coffee roast, then burnt sugar, molasses and hints of chocolate in the back. The bitter coffee lingers but its not overwhelming. I can see why people love this beer, especially coffee drinkers. It's very appraochable considering this is 8%+ ABV and all the subtle flavors.

M - The bitterness pops which makes it seem lighter than it is, the oats keep this thing richer than it looks and a bit sticky

D - If you like bitter roast this is the beer for you. Nothing overwhelming

A solid double stout and a classic morning beer. Very good

boomer31, Nov 25, 2010

Pouring the bottle into my St. Bernardus tulip glass is a pretty an interesting experience in and of itself. That super dark, pitch black, thick beer with very little head hints at the interesting experience about to take place.

The smell of chocolate comes through almost as strongly as the coffee smell. The taste is a heavy rich coffee, significant chocolate flavors, with some definite bitter notes--must have significant hopping to keep this beer from being super sweet. This beer is definitely full-bodied and thick, but there isn't a great deal of carbonation. Still, it's a smooth beer with a nice finish. There's quite a bit going on with this beer, and despite all this, it's a very drinkable beer despite the kick of the high alcohol content.

smithdc33, Nov 25, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -19.7%

This beer is ink black. Extremely dark. Makes quite an impression. But there is little head or lacing on the sides as it goes down. Can't say that it's above average in the looks department.

Smells of coffee, but not as strong as some stouts I've had.

Tastes slightly bitter, with coffee, a touch of chocolate. Mouthfeel is kind of flat, not that exciting. But for feeling a little bitter at first, it goes down very smooth. I guess that's the oatmeal part coming through.

For the amount of alcohol in these suckers, it's really well hidden and very drinkable.

jar2574, Nov 25, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer pours opaque with a substantial caramel colored head that has good lacing characteristics. True to the description on the bottle (double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout), the coffee and chocolate notes come through strong on the nose. The taste isn't much different than would be expected from the smell... though the 60 IBU's are right there mid-palate with some alcohol present as well. This stuff feels like whole milk in your mouth... very heavy, but in a delicious way!

Choppr, Nov 25, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a nice brown creamy long lasting head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, sweet spices. Taste is coffee, chocolate, with some light bitterness. Palate is full body, nice moderate carbonation, very rich, creamy, oily texture. Finish is sweet bitter chocolate, coffee, has some very light bitterness to add some balance. Overall this is very nicely balanced IS. Very rich, creamy and quite tasty. This is a great brew.

Samp01, Nov 24, 2010