Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,129
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
johnnyirishman

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Had on tap @ Perv's beer n more in PA

Apperance- Awesome thick black color pours like oil ( but a great tasty oil) A 1" browinsh head emerged and stuck for a little while.

Smell- First to hit is obviously coffee, then some oatmeal and chocolate tones emerge.

Taste,Mouthfeel- Instant coffee upfront with a slight bitterness that only adds to the overall flavor, malts sneak up right behind it all but its hard to get past the abundant coffee flavor(not a bad thing). A good mouthfeel not too thick and definately not thin.

Drinkability- I love this beer, very tasty just what I look for in a big stout. Im not sure what else to say about this except, pick this one up and drink the hell outta it! But savor the flavor!

02-06-2009 17:16:38 | More by johnnyirishman
trpng0bily

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

This is the perfect easy-drinking huge stout. Great, rich nose and flavors of coffee, baking chocolate and oatmeal, with a bit of charred barley thrown in for good measure, and thick in mouthfeel as it is dark in color. And I don't think that the name is a joke - this would actually make a delicious and filling breakfast, and I think I will save my last bottle for just such a lazy Sunday.

02-04-2009 17:13:30 | More by trpng0bily
kurlare

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours black, with a creamy tan head. A rush of carbonation after the pour gathers into a fine, whipped-looking head. Looks smooth and rich. Luxurious even!

Smell: Coffee, espresso... then a burst of hops... some chocolate. Quite a harmony of scents. Can't smell any malt or overt hop notes.. the most dominating scent is definitely coffee, then behind that are some hops and faint notes of chocolate. This is one of the best smelling stouts I've ever encountered.

Taste: Initially, bitter espresso and hops. The malts finally show up in roasty goodness in the middle, bringing some sweetness to the party. Bitterness from the hops lingers in the dry finish. I can't say I detect the chocolate in the taste, but it is there in the smell. Oh, this tastes excellent by the way. Not a single complaint in terms of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich, very nicely carbonated. Not as full bodied as some other stouts, but will satisfy your craving for a thick stout.

Drinkability: I feel like this is the one area in which this beer suffers a bit. At 8% ABV, I personally cannot have more than one of these beers in a session (or my session will be over before I know it). It is bursting with flavor, and by the time I've had a bottle I'm just ready to move on to something else. That being said, I enjoy this beer immensely and it's probably my favorite stout.

02-03-2009 20:49:19 | More by kurlare
applky

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

A 12oz stubby bottle from a four pack

Completely opaque, tar-like body with very dark brown head. Lots of lacing up and down the glass. An impressive-looking beer.

A caustic coffee flavor up front in the nose. Toasted malts around the edges. This is one of the most aggressive-smelling beers I've ever encountered -- almost as if the alcohol is intent on burning your nose as well as your palate.

Thick, very viscous, coats your mouth with a rich coffee/chocolate/malt flavor. As the beer warms, you're able to pick apart some more component flavors: dried fruit, herbal spiciness, oakiness (?), and oats. This stout basically tries to be everything a stout can be and mostly succeeds. The one flavor I don't really detect is chocolate, unless you count chocolate as a round, full mouthfeel that lingers in the back of your mouth. Very much a sipper, but pretty easy going down -- the ABV is pretty low for an imperial stout.

Not a very smooth beer, but one of the most impressive I've tasted. One of those beers that goes for broke and succeeds.

02-03-2009 02:27:03 | More by applky
gory4d

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours like thinned molasses, with a dark brown head that fades to a skein of bubbles and finally a ring around the glass, leaving just a little lacing. The smell reminds me of sulphured molasses, actually, at once sweet and mineral, but with something rich and floral at the back of it, not unlike lilies. The taste is complex and inviting: the floral notes are forward, passing though to the savory robustness of mocha on through to a bitter finish with some drying but slight alcohol burn. The carbonation is very mild, and the body is thinner than you'd expect -- no sludge here. It's an easy one to drink, but a better one to savor.

02-02-2009 04:35:30 | More by gory4d
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

Bottle into snifter.

Pours black with little to no head at all. Nice legs, leaving a viscous shimmer on the edge of the glass and a ring of bubbles around its edge.

Nose is replete with dark roasted coffee, a bit woody, more spent grounds than fresh java. Nice and intense but maybe just a bit coarse.

Taste is big on coffee up front, dark roasted and woody (like eating an espresso bean), with a light nuttiness from the oatmeal and a very dark chocolate presence in the finish, underneath the mega coffee presence. Rich and dark, with a light acidity present to add a bit of bite towards the finish.

Mouthfeel is low carbonation, full body, silky. Bit of bite towards the finish from the roasty acidity.

Nicely drinkable - alcohol largely hidden, with a big flavorful coffee character that should appeal to coffee lovers everywhere.

Good drinkability,

02-01-2009 15:00:38 | More by JohnQVegas
ProudBeerSnob

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

At last I have found it. Thankfully I have 3 more in the cellar. Ihave been looking forward to this brew.

Poured from bottle into goblet, thick inky black. It even pours thick. standard issue khaki colored head with beautiful lacing throughout the enjoyment of the beer.

Smells of everything the bottle advertises: chocolate, coffee, oatmeal stout.

Tastes of everything the bottle advertises: chocolate, coffee, oatmeal stout.

Oatmeal stouts are my fave style, partially for mouthfeel; thick and rich.

The alcohol is smooth with no real "bite" like many double stouts.

Truly a fabulous beer that paired perfectly with some dark chocolate that I was saving for the occasion.

02-01-2009 03:44:44 | More by ProudBeerSnob
Stimack

4.88/5  rDev +8%

I was so happy to stumble on this Founders brew, this is the first time that I have been able to locate any of their products, and thankfully it was the Breakfast Stout. This brew poured to a pitch black color with possibly some dark brown like highlights. The pour generated a full sized medium colored tan head of small bubbles that has very good retention. This retention gives great lacing down the side of the glass. The aroma, whoa, getting strong fresh coffee notes, almost like wet coffee grounds that is so inviting. Chocolate is also there, bitter sweet (?), that gives a fantastic mix. Also some roasty nut like aromas peak through. The flavor is intense, coffee flavor is clear from the start and then the end seems to give a coffee bitter finish. Chocolate is also there and that might be also playing into the bitter end that I notice. This is an amazing brew, such a fantastic flavor, this should be a sipper with the 8.3 %alcohol in it, which is not noticeable one bit, but is going down fast. The feel of this brew is nice and thick, yet smooth. The carbonation is on the lighter side which I like as its does not interfere with the rich malt flavors. This is one of the best brews that I have ever had, it packs so much into it and every part is simply spot on. I will never give a perfect score to a brew but this one is up there. PLEASE start distributing to NY (Capital Region)

01-31-2009 17:22:07 | More by Stimack
adamhdv

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Black! Great head, amazing nice bubble lacing that doesn't really fade.

Smells of heavily dominate coffee beans, little chocolate/cocoa mixed.

Taste, wow, amazingly rich coffee. Thick chocolate in the middle and finishes clean. The chocolate is almost bitter, adds to the roasted coffee great.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, almost ridiculously great for being 8.3% alcohol. Coats the mouth with bitter chocolate near swallow. Carbonation is perfect, smooth, 1-1 with this full bodied beer.

Filling but very drinkable, I'll definitely try and keep these in stock.

01-30-2009 23:51:42 | More by adamhdv
cvfish

Louisiana

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Poured a dark brown color that produced a tan head that retained well and left some nice lacing

S - Ground coffee beans, chocolate, smoked malts

T - Toasted malts, bitter dark chocolate, and black coffee

M - Medium to heavy bodied, mild carbonation

D - Thick and robust stout, very filling and drinkable, just ignore the creepy kid on the label

01-30-2009 05:53:28 | More by cvfish
Gyle41386

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

I have to get this out in the open before I even start my review: that kid on the label creeps me out.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The pour resembled motor oil going into my car. Small head that quickly disappeared to no head.

The nose smells like a bag of crushed coffee beans and bittersweet chocolate. Smells like an excellent way to start the day. I don't particularly like coffee, but this smells awesome.

This thing is just bursting with flavor. Huge coffee taste, chocolate, and some citrus from the hops.

Full-bodied, deliciously smooth and creamy, leaves a little tingle on the tongue from the carbonation. This is just a phenomenal beer.

01-30-2009 03:58:13 | More by Gyle41386
erz316

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

short brown bottle poured into speckled hen pint glass

A - well, the head is a bit sparse with huge bubbles, so that is the only fault I can really find in truth: an unatracitve head, not that bad to begin with! the body is black like an ink I use for my caligraphy. can you see through it? no. is there a slight chance you can? no. black as a moonless night in the woods.

S - smells like a freshly ground bag of coffee with some bakers chocolate added in. the chocolate's bitterness becomes blended and less apparent, and blended in with the hardcore bitter espresso/coffee smell. but really: coffee, if anything, then coffee.

T - well, it tastes like an iced coffee already in my tasting process, simply phenomenal!. I know they use coffee in the brewing process but to get such a beautiful taste as this is amazing! it actually tastes like a NYC coffee soda for those ny jews like me that like those oddities from nyc. well back to point: formost it tastes like coffee, no alcohol or much else like that. for the finish: the coffee gets stronger and is checked by a strong bitterness different than the coffee, that of chocolate. the chocolate finally makes an appearance on my palate! with such wonderous effect it graces my buds and makes me want more, though I know my store has no more (I bought the last!). this is truly a beer among beer as far as taste goes. the aftertaste is like that of the highest gourmet chocolate covered espresso beans. I have never tasted something like this before in my life.

MF&D - the feel is a bit thin for something as big bodied as this, I would have to liked to see it as thick as the mikkeller geek. the drinkability as with many great beers is no great chalenge for me, I love it and I am going out to the store right now to get some of my father in law some.

I had this beer after it sat out for a half hour, letting it warm up to some degree in my mildly warm apartment.

01-30-2009 00:44:05 | More by erz316
tai4ji2x

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz. bottle with no date. a recently-arrived batch from julio's. poured into tulip.

opaque, coffee black. brown head fades to wisps and thin ring. only two very thin rings of lace.

cold, roasted coffee aroma. charred and roasted malts. hint of dried raisins or currants.

flavor has roasted, charred and caramelized malts, with the latter giving a sweetness to the coffee syrup foundation. again, some dried fruit note (figs?). coffee and hop bitterness is bold but kept in check, interestingly, by the gently alcoholic finish.

thick and smoothly syrupy. slight acidic texture or astringency in the end. mild to moderate carbonation; fluffy when rolled on tongue.

01-29-2009 23:36:58 | More by tai4ji2x
jdklks

Nevada

3.9/5  rDev -13.7%

reviewed from notes:

black body, dark brown head, thick lacing.

smell is umm, lets see... cant quite put my finger on it... COFFEE! a little hint of chocolate as well

taste is of COFFEE! they call it 'breakfast stout' for a reason. there are also hints of caramel and chocolate. sweet (should be bitter) coffee lingering in the aftertaste. reminds me of the caramel flavored coffee at starbucks or something. about half-way through you start to feel the alcohol tinge in the back of the throat.

its thick, its syrupy, its full bodied, its alright.

overrated, but still good.

01-27-2009 06:10:29 | More by jdklks
jp62099

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours thick and black, brown one finger head sticks to the glass.
Smell is unreal, don't want to take my nose out of it, coffee, coffee, more coffee, and dark chocolate. Taste is big in your face roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, oatmeal, slight hop kick in the finish. It has a very smooth, rich, and chewy feel. I could drink a few of these in a sitting, and have. Alcohol becomes more apparent as it warms, but doesn't take away from the drinkability at all.

01-27-2009 03:45:39 | More by jp62099
ThirdLap

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

Received this in a great trade with BA 'spacecoyote'. Split it with fellow BA and good friend 'macktbone'. Served into a lowball glass at about 55°F.

Pours a deep dark brown with a dark tan head. Not a whole lot of head retention going on. Minimal lacing. A bit less viscous than I was expecting.

Smells like seriously strong coffee... the kind they serve at all-night diners that cater to truckers. Coffee, and a bit of roasted malt.

The first thing that comes to mind upon the first sip is cold coffee without cream and maybe a single cube of sugar. It toes the line of being an unbalanced beer, but somehow... it just works. What an absolutely delicious brew. There is a hint of dark chocolate and oatmeal, but you almost have to look for it amongst all that coffee.

I didn't think this was as full-bodied as some of the other reviewers, but this may be due to some of the beers I've been drinking lately. Carbonation is right in the middle, and right where it should be. Finish is slightly bitter, much like that cold coffee mentioned earlier. Despite this, drinkability does not suffer at all. I immediately wanted another.

I can see why these fly off the shelves in the areas where they are available. This would probably be one of my 'go-tos' if it were available here in Northern California.

01-26-2009 23:09:24 | More by ThirdLap
joerodiii

4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

Growler from BigZ in Huntington, NY.

Thick, dark black with no hints of any color. Aroma of roasted malts and chocolate.

The stout tastes like it smells, roastey with a touch of chocolate. It is a little too bitter for my tastes, but it still works. The mouthfeel is perfect, slightly thick but not syrupy. I would love to try a nitro version of this beer.

01-26-2009 22:21:17 | More by joerodiii
AdmiralDiaz

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a brown, thick, two-finger head with great retention, some of the best retention I've seen. The first bottle I had didn't give much lacing, but the second looks amazing all the way down the glass...awaiting a third to see what the verdict is.

S: Not highly strong scent but fairly complex and balanced with strong coffee and roasted malts with hints of chocolate.

T: Yum! Roasted malts/oatmeal upfront with chocolate and bitter coffee aftertaste. The alcohol comes out a bit at the end but not bad for around an 8.0%abv. A great mix of flavors in which not a single one becomes too dominant.

Overall: Amazing beer, complex enough taste and smell that's amazingly smooth and creamy and is quite drinkable for the alcohol content. Very hearty beer that is literally a meal within itself..my new fav!

01-26-2009 18:19:28 | More by AdmiralDiaz
TheDoorman

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours think and black, with a small brown head that dissipates quickly leaving some nice lacing. Aroma filled with roasted coffee beans, oatmeal, bitter chocolate. Great roasted malt aroma. Perfection for the style. Taste follows the nice precisely, bitter coffee and chocolate and a nice roastedness. A touch of hop bitterness keeps the malt nicely in check. Very chewy, sticky mouthfeel, with a dry finish. A notch below full-bodied for an imperial stout. An insatiable desire to luck your lips after each sip to pickup the residual flavors. Alcohol is perfectly positioned, giving you a warmth and umph, but not affecting the taste. To be a touch critical, i'd say a slight bump up in alcohol wouldnt hurt.

There has been some discussion that there should be a category for "Coffee Stouts" rather than lumping these in with Imperial Stouts. I tend to agree. And this is the best I've had.

01-26-2009 02:22:56 | More by TheDoorman
redjameskidd

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass at a bar. Not sure that's how I would have served it myself, but I don't really care.

Been meaning to try this beer for a while, and it was worth the wait.

A: Fabulous looking. Absolutely jet-black in the glass. Looks so thick and viscous, it will absolutely sustain you.

S: Didn't pick up a lot, but it was in a crowded bar and I wasn't really focused on this.

T: I was too busy focusing on THIS, the great taste of coffee and oatmeal stout. I drank this after having a Rogue chocolate stout, and I really appreciated the way that the oatmeal-stout-like sweetness was cut by the coffee. It had a bite to the finish that was superb.

M: Extremely creamy and delicious.

D: Not bad, for a beer this big. I could have more than one.

01-25-2009 22:45:24 | More by redjameskidd
meatyard

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

A-Is a very dark chocolate color with a 1" dark tan head tha falls to a cover. Some distinct lacing.

S- Is a strong coffee ground smell that gives way to a milder, dark chocolate and, eventually some fruitiness. A hint of alcohol showed up here as it warmed.

T-Starts with a bit milder coffee taste, followed by the chocolate and then some oats with a slight bitterness at the end. The tastes all blend nicely into one another.

M-Is creamy and smooth being medium/thick.

D-Very good, I didn't get any noticeable alcohol and it's easy to drink.

01-24-2009 19:05:59 | More by meatyard
cleeze

Maine

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

What a great brew. I been waiting to try this sucker for some time now and pleased that it didn't live down my expectations.

Poured a jet tar black with a nice milk chocolate colored head that disappeared into some badd asss lacing.

The smell was my favorite part of the brew. Lots of vanillia sweetness up front blending nicely with dark rich coffee and dark chocolate. I love the vanilia most of all!

Taste was much like the smell. The vanillia added a sweetness to it that I really enjoyed. Great balance though with the coffee

Slick mouthfeel, full bodied

01-24-2009 00:40:51 | More by cleeze
macktbone

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Split this bottle with a BA member and poured into a low ball type glass.

Color is black with a small hint of red at the edges.
The pour developes a medium brown head with a beautiful lace ring. Suprisingly low carbonation in this thick breakast treat.

Aroma gives off a strong sense of burnt coffee and bitersweet chocolate.
The mouthfeel is thick but hard to get over the very low carbonation level. It actually takes away from this great taste. Searching for the carbonation takes time away from time enjoying the taste.

The drinkability on this beer is crazy easy, may as well be a doctored storebought coffee without cream. Tastes like yesterdays brew, mixed with a fresh pot and re-heated.

The alcohol is disquised as sweetness due to a good balance and you would never peg it for 8.3%. The lack of hops seperates it from other imperial stouts and may indear this beer to those who tend to stray from hop heads 1 minute after 4:19.

01-23-2009 19:34:22 | More by macktbone
halfP1NT

3.9/5  rDev -13.7%

This stout pours a thick, oily, opaque black. An aggressive pour yields a thin, dark tan head that leaves some thin lacing behind.

Smells just like fresh coffee grinds. Malty, chocolate, toasted malts.

Taste is toasted, burnt malts, bitter coffee, bitter cocoa. There's a bit of sweetness. Nice warming alcohol lingers a bit after the sip. This beer is very rich and robust, a slow sipper.

Medium amount of carbonation, full bodied brew. The burnt malts almost become a bit cloying after a while which hurts the drinkability. But I really do appreciate the way the malts present themselves in this beer.

01-23-2009 03:28:56 | More by halfP1NT
farrago

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

Full onyx blackness in a glass, appears immaculately clean and unblemished. The brown head craters here and there, uneven, comes with a sticky thick lacing. The toasted chocolate and cocoa element in the nose outweighed by denser oatmeal and bitter chicory scents, the edginess even dampens the sweetness of the raisin, black grape, plum fruit, green coffee bean adds to the cut, does not lack for length in your nostrils. Full-bodied, smooth in mouthfeel with persistent carbonation for its weight. The grapey sweetness frames the attack, plum, raisin and raspberry fruit. Quite soon after the chicory, espresso bean, grilled nut, dark chocolate shades ratchet up the bitterness. The oatmeal and light caramel notes salve the wound. Oily texture develops at the end, extends presence. Fluidity deceptive, after third glass your gut feels a touch heavy.

01-23-2009 02:01:54 | More by farrago