Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,060
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
GClarkage

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

01/04/06- Purchased via mail order with Archer Liquors in Chicago, ILL.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness info. Has been aged for at least 6 months. Poured into my Elk Mountain pint glass.

Appearance- Blacker that soot pour. Closest to motor oil I have ever seen from a beer. Thick and viscous. Smaller 1/2 inch head and leaves light lacing.

Smell- Huge and I mean huge amounts of roasted coffee bean smell with a deep dark malt background. A touch of bitterswwet chocolate underneath all that. Reminds me of the smell of a ski lodge coffee shop.

Taste- I'm not one for coffee as a normal thing, but I do love it in beer and in ice cream. This beer is loaded to the brim with coffee flavor. Once you get past the coffee fix, the heavy fire roasted malt comes in and even deeper a dash of dark chocolate. After your taste buds are assulted by by all that the nice bitter hop blast comes in to finish you off.

Mouthfeel- Only, if only this beer was a bit more smooth. Carbonation level was a bit steep for a beer this thick and viscous. My only complaint about this beer.

Drinkability- This is one incredible tasting beer. My version of heaven would be a 50 tap beer bar with this on cask....if that even exists.

01-05-2006 05:47:45 | More by GClarkage
TurdFurgison

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from fat Founders bottle into Stone IPA glass. Deep dark black color with reddish-brown foamy head (I'd never seen a beer head look like this before).

Smelled intensely of coffee, so I was nervous. I didn't like the Speedway stout at all, and it had a coffee component to it. But this was different... or 1 year between tastings is no way to compare. Anyway this tasted so good I couldn't stop sipping it. Kind of malty coffee.

I couldn't have this too often, but it seems like a great once-a-month beer.

12-22-2005 10:25:00 | More by TurdFurgison
froggyfrog

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz. bottle served in a large Bordeaux glass.

A black-ass beer. Zero light penetration. Caramel red head and lace.

The smell is entirely fresh brewed coffee.

Excellent coffee flavor marbled with dark chocolate and rolled oats. Full of black coffee bitterness.

The full mouthfeel is rounded out a polished light creaminess.

This is a hospitable brew that is very much like drinking coffee with just a touch of heavy cream.

Very straightforward and oh so delicious.

Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout. Oh Yeah!

12-22-2005 02:37:41 | More by froggyfrog
Higravity

3.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured black with a tan head that told me this was getting most of its color form something other than roasted barely. Indeed from the frist sniff it is nothing but concetrated coffee and some lingering sweet smell of malt. The taste and the mouthfeel here interact to create a drinking pleasure. THe slight bitterness of the coffee and the smoothness of the proteins oats or otherwise add a nice combo. Overall the flavor is not horribly complex mostly coffee with some sweetness and a bit of nutty oats rolled in chocolate in the aftertaste. The drinkability is hurt a little by the fact that the flavors are so strong as I don't think I would want more than one at a time, but a nice beer and worth finding.

12-19-2005 17:13:41 | More by Higravity
Smittysguinness

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Breakfast stout? Hell yes...it's all coffee.

Poured black as coffee, with a dark reddish-tan head that dissipated but left great lacing all the way.

Huge coffee aroma, strong like espresso, with toasted oats in there as well; hugely roasty like really good restaurant coffee. Hints of nut and maybe prune, just like breakfast!

Great oaky taste, big mealy taste like oatmeal. Coffee right up front, bitter like cappuccino. Definite heavy fruit, like prunes. Cocoa-powder bitterness eases you into the finish.

Full bodied mouthfeel, but not oily at all. Very drinkable, though not session beer according to the new (and right-on) BA definition of a sesison beer. I did have a few when I was at the brewery, though.

12-16-2005 18:50:50 | More by Smittysguinness
hero27

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Love the art on the label..a kid eating breakfast (or is it a kid eating Breakfast Stout out of a bowl?)...i guess we can't be 100% sure. Listed on the bottle as a Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout..that's a mouthful. Pours a very deep, dark (nearly black) color...head is dark khaki and very creamy. The aroma is something to behold..very rich chocolates blend with the potent coffee-ish smell..yikes. Tastes are similar, with an oatmeal complexity that comes out and a bitterness that struck me a bit off-guard. A very good stout from a brewery that is gaining more and more respect from me with every beer I try from them.

Px2GrafX deserves some extra beer karma for providing me with these two delicious bottles.

12-16-2005 01:29:23 | More by hero27
ToggleEyes

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

The first thing I do whenever I open a bottle up is smell it. Wow was this coffee or beer, rather espresso or beer? Poured out a thick almost syrupy stream of black and burnt copper. I was laughing a bit as I poured, not knowing what I was getting into. I slowly filled my glass trying to get a head. I managed to get a 1 finger but it quickly disapated. the espresso aroma is a little overwellming but I could still smell malt, burnt carmel, and molasses. Mouthfeel is smooth and thick with mild carbonation. The taste is definitely coffee and bakers dark chocolate. Has a small bit of Alchol burn right after it goes down. What I liked the most was the aftertaste. It just stayed there tempting me to have another sip. Thats what I did for close to an hour, was sip. A very unique; in the tradition of Founders, good stout.

12-13-2005 06:12:22 | More by ToggleEyes
UnionMade

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Mike for this bottle!
Used motor oil black, capped with a dense, dun froth. Cobwebs of lace. Giant coffee aroma, hugely roasty, very similar to smelling the empty can of Folger's I kept my MUSCLE figures in as a kid. A bit woody, hints of prune and nut. Toffee and chocolate. The flavor opens softer, gentler than expected, but much more complex. Layers upon layers of flavor. Silky smooth on the tongue. Velvety, lower levels of carbonation. Big coffee and roasted barley right up front, soft, flaky oatmeal mellowing things throughout. Wood, walnuts and cashew. Caramel sweetness adds to the softer touch of this brew. Real coffeehouse mocha cappuchino, chocolate syrup, with a dryer, cocoa powder bittersweetness easing into the finish. So soft. A slight dash of prune or raisin, some sort of dried, wrinkly fruit. Vague hop presence in the finish, overshadowed by the all encompassing malt. Just a short prickle of pine needle bitterness, as well as very slight phenolic clove. No hint of alcohol. Finishes dryish, with a long lasting aftertaste like a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal at breakfast. Just wonderful.
Big, bold, but surprisingly elegant and well put-together. For so much going on, the flavors integrate masterfully. Really very reminiscent of breakfast and sleeping late on Sunday mornings. If you love good coffee, this is the beer for you. Another amazing beer from this great brewery.

12-08-2005 04:32:49 | More by UnionMade
Sudmissle

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Dark brown to black. Has 1/3 of an inch head with great lace retention on side of glass for 20 minutes.

Smell: Rich toasted coffee, malty and carmel notes

Taste: Rich without being overbearing. Wonderful aftertaste. Toasted flavor throughout. Hard to believe the 8.3% alcohol because the other ingredients offset it.

Mouthfeel: Thick as a brick. One of the thickest I've ever had, which for this style is perfect. Many microbreweries have a dark-as-the- night colored stout that is thin as water, but not this one.

Drinkability: Surprisingly good for how rich the beer is.

Overall impressions: We all have our opinions and biases, but that's what this site is about. For the record, I place this into my top five or six favorite stouts in the world, which are:

Bell's Double Cream Stout
Avery Czar Imperial Stout

12-04-2005 00:21:37 | More by Sudmissle
Ellbert

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Blackholish with a brown head that was massive. Beautiful!

Smell: Dark chocolate. I find that the chocolate comes in the nose than anything and lacks in the flavor. You smell some roasted coffee but mostly chocolate. One downfall to this beer is that I can actually smell green olives in there also.

Taste: Fantastic! Freshly brewed coffee with chocolate highlights. The oatmeal adds a slickness.

Mouthfeel: Rich and chewy. Oatmeal adds tons to the body of this beer.

Fantastic!

11-24-2005 00:12:13 | More by Ellbert
BigDaddyWil

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Well, here it goes my first beer review, and I'll start with a great beer. Many thanks to my buddy NisJer05 for picking up this beer for me. Much anticipated, since this beer is brewed in my home state, and has been given such high marks. I was so excited to try this beer after reading about on BA.

Appearance: Dark black in color, with a thin cream colored head. No light could pass through when held up to a light. It had a slight oily texture to it.

Smell: Strong smell of chocolate, coffee and a hint of oatmeal. It almost reminded me of cookie dough, a great dessert beer.

Taste: Wow!!! My taste buds were alive with flavor. Mostly chocolate and coffee, definetely a mouthful. Yummy!!!

Mouthfeel: I guess the best way to descibe it, is a meal in a bottle. Kinda heavy, but very tasty. I could'nt get enough.

Drinkability: I could only drink one or two in a sitting. Even though this stout taste great, one of these beers fills me up. I would highly recommend this beer, especially on a cold winters night. I will have to stock up on this gem of a stout. Good job Founders!!!! I will have to sample more of their brews.

11-23-2005 02:23:20 | More by BigDaddyWil
TastyTaste

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Motor oil black body, with a head that can't be coerced into raising more than a small layer on top of the beer.

Smell: Rish dark chocolate and definite oatmeal, smooth coffee. A distinctly rich aroma, tru to the description on the bottle (the part about double chocolate oatmeal).

Taste: That is one fine stout. Rich and sweet, full and smooth. Tons of chocolate and coffee. Oatmeal mellows the flavor slightly. Hops are present at the very end, but the dessert-like nature of this beer can't be denied.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly full feeling on the way down.

Drinkability: Also perfect, this is a nice after-dinner type beer. Thanks to Px2Grafx for yet another winner.

11-19-2005 01:28:24 | More by TastyTaste
lou91

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer will make any stout lover drool – jet black, thick, dark chocolate milk shake head and a beautiful iced coffee, black cherry and fine chocolate nose. The taste matches the nose perfectly which is a damn good thing. Cold it was fantastic and as it warmed it was just as good. The aftertaste is so good that it mimics the effect of eating a piece of chocolate with a top notch stout. Skip the chocolate and just drink this. If you didn’t know it was beer you might think it was khalua on ice. Hey Founders! Put this in 750ml bottles and send it to CA!

11-16-2005 07:16:42 | More by lou91
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

This beer was obtained in trade from Frozensoul327. Thanks Eric! And thanks in advance for sending a spare!

This one poured out a very dark brown/black, with a one and a half finger head that started out a dark chocolate brown and faded to a medium tan. I know it was clear when I poured it, because I could tell from what I was pouring... but I don't think a ruby laser could cut through this puppy now.

Aroma was bitter chocolate, some sweet dark fruits, roasted barley, and hints of coffee... very powerful and layered. Damn, this one was incredible.

Taste was of strong roasted malts, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. I could tell there was some oatmeal in there as well.

Mouthfeel was perfect... deep, rich, chewy, smooth, silky, all rolled into one. It held onto the tongue just long enough to impart all the nuances of flavor.

Drinkability... well, it is taking all that I have not to run downstairs and grab the other one I have in my special locked cabinet.

This was truly an interesting experience. For a long time I did not like the darker, roasted beers, but I have really gotten a taste for them now. I still prefer IPA's, but these are so different, I am really learning that you can love more than one style equally.

This is a bittersweet review, as well. As I began this review, I found off of Yahoo that Eddie Guerrero, a wrestler with the WWE, was found dead in his hotel room this morning. So this glass is lifted in his honor. I could not find a better beer to toast someone of his caliber with.

11-14-2005 03:27:14 | More by connecticutpoet
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

This pours an apparent black, although I can see through the neck of the bottle as I pour. A coffee like foam caps it. The nose is of coffee and dark chocolate.

The taste is of coffee and complex chocolate. A vinous note is there. The oatmeal seems to provide a slightly grainy texture, nice mouthfeel. This one is probably enough, although after I eat, I'll probably have another. Quite filling.

11-10-2005 02:06:49 | More by Sephiroth
Starchild

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

I thought Breakfast would be a good starting point for a recent stout tasting. Since Founders says that it can be aged up to a year, I’ve decided to review this beer after 8 months.

I poured Breakfast into a Chimay Chalice. I got an inky body with a big khaki head. Scents of French roasted coffee dominated the nose. Like in the smell, the beer tasted mostly like French roast combined with dark chocolate, tangy alcohol, and hints of licorice. As the beer warmed, spicy alcohol emerged as well as flavors of milky oatmeal. Towards the end of the beer, coffee flavors reemerged along with hints of earthy grains while the spicy alcohol dissipated.

11-08-2005 16:23:21 | More by Starchild
mportsch

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a brandy snifter from a 12oz bottle. Many thanks to cmaruschak for providing this via trade!
Appearance: Completely black, with a nice thin layer of persistant lace.
Smell: Wow! Big odors of french roast coffee! I've never smelled a beer that so resembled rich coffee. Hints of dark chocolate try to sneak through.
Taste: I'm not a big coffee fan, but I do enjoy the blend of coffee, oatmeal, and bittersweet chocolate flavors to be found here. Coffee dominates my palate, but the other flavors are lurking in every sip. Certainly a complex brew.
Mouthfeel: The beer slides down the throat very easily, and feels just right - just thick enough, but not excessive.
Drinkability: Goes down very easily, but I wonder - is there caffeine in this?? We'll see if I get a headache!
Edit: I was informed that there is indeed caffeine in this - ounce for ounce the same as coffee. Surprisingly, I felt no ill effects from the caffeine - the alcohol must counteract it!

11-08-2005 01:55:16 | More by mportsch
pentathlete

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

I'm unlucky in the fact that this beer isn't distributed in central VA, but I am incredibly lucky to have received two bottles of this brew: one from deejaydan via B&G BIF and the other from bigern via the Great Pumpkin Beer Swap 05. Thank you both for the opportunity.

Poured into a big bell burgundy glass a dark brown with a brown foam which left some dots and rings along the glass. Huge nose of toasty malt, coffee, and swirls of chocolate. Very inviting. Taste is dark chocolate, coffee bean, burnt malts with a thick oily mouthfeel. Let's call it a beeruccino. Excellent beer that should go well with a nice sirloin and two eggs over easy...side of whole wheat toast.

11-05-2005 20:10:29 | More by pentathlete
Brewfan

Connecticut

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to Warriorsoul for this bottle. You rock Tom!
Poured into my DFH Raison D'Etre longstemmed-oversized goblet.
No head to the beer upon pouring. Whisps of tan lace surround the outer reaches of the beer, and stayed there for the entire beer.
Color of dark burnt chocolate with some ruby highlights. You couldn't see through this beer with x-ray specs.
First smell was earthy dark chocolate infused espresso. Thin aroma of hoppy-alcohol soaked kalamata olives in the background.
Tasted of roasted bakers chocolate, heavy malt, toasted barley and cocoa powder dusted oatmeal. The coffee taste and smell is like the first espresso of the morning. The tastes change from sip to sip, really defining the complexity of this offering. The meadium body on this, along with the smells and tastes makes this one of the most drinkable stout I've ever had.
I really don't want this beer to end, but I seem to be drinking more than reviewing. My sips have turned to gulps and I don't have the control to stop myself. So drinkable a stout this is. I'm down to my last sip or two and have to force myself to draw it out.
Finishes like a well-done caramel mochiato with oatmeal thrown in for good measure.
Beautiful beer Founders. Now I just gotta get to MI to grab a case or 5.

11-02-2005 23:15:16 | More by Brewfan
ClearDog

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Had a pint on draft at the Landmark 1850 Inn in Milwaukee.

Appearance -- Pure black with a thick, creamy, khaki two finger head. Head lasted for quite a while. Very nice to look at.

Smell -- Very inviting chocolate and coffee. The smell is very reminiscent of breakfast. It gets intense as the stout warms.

Taste -- The taste changed for me with each sip. Taste went back and forth between bitter chocolate and a strong coffee flavor. Complex to say the least. Warming alcohol is also apparent but by no means overwhelming.

Mouthfeel -- Thick and creamy. Very dense. I'm reminded of oatmeal or some kind of warm cereal.

Drinkability -- I could do one or two at a time. The flavor is quite rich. The higher ABV is also masked well so if you were to have a few I'm sure it would catch up fast.

One I'll seek out again, but not at a bar. I prefer a bottle over draft.

10-28-2005 03:32:25 | More by ClearDog
xgrigorix

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Twelve ounce brown twist cap bottle, no dates.

Opaque inky black. Pours & looks like used motor oil. Dense tan coloured head. Thin sheet of lace left on the glass.

Rich dark chocolate aromas swirl with medium roast coffee. What am I doing still smelling this?

A rich blend of coffee, dark & bittersweet chocolate, along with some dark fruits. Some astringent flavours work their way in from the roast. Citrus & leafy hop flavours bring it home, becoming more pronounced as it warms, without ever being overbearing. Thick & velvety smooth, easy carbonation. Fabu!

10-28-2005 02:38:17 | More by xgrigorix
lostbearbrew

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

While I really enjoyed this brew, the numbers somehow belie my personal thoughts. Maybe it isn't quite the perfect beer I thought it was, but it s SO very good, all the same.

Darker than a thunderstorm night in the backwoods camping. Amazing blend of coffee - you can smell more than one type of coffee I think, and then bittersweet chocolate in the nose of this one.

Flavors of both coffee and roasted malts mix together with chocolate for an amazing, intriguing touch. The coffee comes through two, maybe three times, distinctly, in a sip, almost as if you are swirling coffee and roasty, oatmeal stout in your mouth together.

I have to say the mouthfeel is amazing - slides right down the throat with VERY little resistance - mental or physical. I could happily drink a few of these gems in an evening.

One of my favorite stouts, and certainly one of the best flavor blends ever.

10-27-2005 17:28:18 | More by lostbearbrew
warriorsoul

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to malty for this one...never makes it to my neck of the woods. Good 'ol cmaruschak supplied me with one earlier which I shared and did not review...can't forget the great traders out there.
Pours a dense black w/ a half finger of dark cocoa head that sticks around for most of the duration...thick lacing forms on the side of the snifter glass.
The smell is robust coffee up front, some more coffee and dark italian chocolate. A gentle sweetness finishes in the nose w/ even a bit of green hops.
Taste is one strong cup of mocha java...not overly sweet and a subtle bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden, but a magnificent warming overcomes the body as I work my way through this offering.
Mouthfeel is quite thick and the carbonation is contained and fantastic.
I could enjoy a number of these on a cold evening such as this...simply great.

10-26-2005 23:47:52 | More by warriorsoul
evanackerman

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

wow, what a beautiful pour, black as night with a thick taupe colored head that does not dissipate.

aroma is dark coffee with alcohol and a hint of chocolate.

taste is a chocolate explosion - rich dark chocolate accented by deep coffee, a nice touch of bitterness and then more chocolate. maybe the most complex beer I've ever tasted.

mouthfeel is absolutely perfect - smooth, creamy, low carbonation, everything I'd want from a stout.

This is a very fun beer, i will definitely be buying this again.

10-26-2005 23:27:53 | More by evanackerman
Frozensoul327

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

A world class beer. By far one of the best brews I have ever had, and easily the best oatmeal stout. Poured out to a pitch black color that had the consistancy of motor oil. Very thick pour and a high viscosity. A thin layer of mocha colored foam covered the top of the beer, but overall this brew had a rather low carbonation level. Aromas of heavenly malt, coffee, chocolate, earth, smoke, wood and toffee made my mouth water in anticipation of this liquid treat. Taste was phenominal; truely amazing flavors of coffee, oats, chocolate, toffee, malt and earth blend perfectly. Mouthfeel was great; very thick and chewy, like a liquid granola bar. Near exceptional drinkabiliy, I think I could have this nearly everyday and never get tired of it. This is one of the best beers I have ever had. I can't wait to get more. World Class, and highly recommended.

10-26-2005 22:43:40 | More by Frozensoul327