Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,103
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
becktone

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

At a bar on a scrap sheet of paper:

Eye: Jet black in color with a tan head and some okay lacing and poorer than I expected head retention. Though I can't fault the head retention and lacing as so much of that depends on the cleanliness of the glassware. It could be the glassware, and most likely is in this case, as it is a glass from a bar that really only gets dipped in sanitizer solution, not much washing to go on to clean grease or other residue from the glass.

Nose: Massive chocolate and coffee aromas in this brew, not much to hop aroma. The largeness of the aroma makes it apparent that this is an American Double/Imperial Stout. Roasted aromas as well. Excellent aroma, couldn't stop smelling this one, just smelled so good.

Tongue: Here I find a nice roasted malt flavor, perhaps some black malt and chocolate malts are in there. Coffee flavors and chocolate flavors meld nicely with the roasted flavor. It is really easy to see why this one is called "Breakfast Stout." Seems to me that this would pair very nicely with breakfast just as coffee does, or I could even see this being a brew that would break one's fast in a very full and complete way.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: On the palate this brew is very thick and has a long lasting flavor that is of almost burnt, but not quite that harsh, roasted, toasted grain flavors. The brew is very smooth on the palate with medium, and appropriate levels of carbonation. This is a great beer to drink, not one to session though, 8.3% is a little high. As I said I could see drinking this with my breakfast, it is appropriately named. You can believe me when I say that the first time I see this is a bottle I'll be grabbing a sixer of it.

10-19-2007 19:26:55 | More by becktone
vwcraig

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a Michael Jackson snifter back as can be and was really thick. Some head was there at first and was the color of brown sugar. Head reappears if you swirl the glass around and slowly runs back down the inside of the glass. Coffee smell is the first thing that jumps out along with some appetizing roasty and burnt malt smells. Great roast coffee flavor along with a sweetness in the middle of a mocha-ish flavor. There is a light booziness when it warmed up noticeable only in the smell, not taste. Oily mouthfeel and little carbo. Extremely drinkable and complex.

10-16-2007 20:17:53 | More by vwcraig
tpd975

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

This is the 2006 version that I got in a trade awhile back. Now that the new batch is out I figured I would give this one a try with a year under its belt.

A: Pours an Obsidian black, darker than a moonless night. It pours with a huge thunderous head with tons of tiny bubbles that get foamy on top, like sea foam in the gulf on a warm September afternoon. The head dies down to a nice cap but some of the foaminess is left behind sticking to the top of my snifter.

S: Wonderful smelling stout. TONS of chocolate and fresh brewed coffee. There are hints of vanilla and perfectly roasted malt. This reminds me of my favorite cafe mocha which I happened to sip at a sidewalk café in Paris.

T: I really like great stouts and this is one of them. The flavors are off the scale. BAM in your face. Tons of rich creamy chocolate. Reminds me of the cocoa my grandmother (god rest her soul) used to prepare for me on a cold Indiana morning as a child. So chocolaty, sweet, and warming. All of that is then overtaken by a coffee taste as good if not better than the best espresso known to man.

M: Medium bodied and a creaminess that is off the scale.

D: Man wish I had some more of this one. As I finish this one my brother is in an Indiana beer store trying to hunt me down the 2007 version. Let's hope he scores!

Overall: Founders make some of the greatest stouts in the world. Hands down, no doubt about it. This one is so rich and creamy, and the taste and aroma is out of this world 5 star no doubt about it. If you like cafe mocha this one will leave you hankering for more. As for me I am awaiting a phone call with my fingers crossed, hoping my brother came thru with some more!

10-16-2007 19:43:14 | More by tpd975
bradford

3.75/5  rDev -17%

Bottle acquired via trade with NJpadreFan
Had for breakfast on 10/16/07
Looked good. Sticky black lacing on the glass. Very little light penetrating through
Smelled good. A lot of coffee in the nose. LOTS of coffee. This beer reminded me a lot of the KBS which reminded me of a homebrew failure I made about a year ago. The coffee is just overpowering and then the bitter chocolate comes through and makes for a bit of a mess for me. Obviously I am not in the majority as this is, at time of review, #12 on BA's top 100.
Mouthfeel is a bit thin for me, not watery, but with all these conflicting tastes in my mouth, I expected the malt to help balance a bit more, which for me means a thicker, maltier beer.
This is a good beer and I am glad I have another bottle waiting for me, just doesn't live up to the hype for me

10-16-2007 17:42:25 | More by bradford
seaoflament

4.88/5  rDev +8%

First off I need to send mad props to Jay23 for this beer, thanks!

This is from the most recent batch. Poured at cellar temp.

Pours a dark chocolate color with some light brown foam.

Oh man the smell! You can smell this one as it pours. There is some sweet chocolate, powdered cocoa, coffee, vanilla bean, roasted malts, and oats; easily one of the best smelling stouts I've encountered. The aroma is, dare I say, orgasmic. I'm just taking my time with this one, letting it warm up a bit more to get some more aromas before I take my first sip. This is one of the most chocolate smelling stouts I've had in front of me, very nicely done.

Fist sip is pure bliss. The taste really holds up well with the aromas. Chocolate and coffee flavors upfront with some slight burnt barley and chocolate malts in the finish. Some oats also detected towards the end along with some bitter chocolate. Big aftertaste as well. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, rich and thick. This is a chocolate and coffee elixir. The slightest hint of alcohol is present to remind you that this is an alcoholic beverage.

The drinkability is very good but it could start to feel a little too sweet after one glass.

I could eat this stuff for breakfast. Screw Starbucks coffee, gimme some Breakfast Stout in the morning.

***Update***

Thanks to Jay23 for this extra. 2008 edition.

Great looking beer, as always has been my experience with Breakfast Stout. Pitch black color with more than an inch of foam with some lacing and very good retention. (4.5)

A blast of coffee and chocolate at first but once I finished pouring, the smell coming from the glass was a little underwhelming. The coffee aroma doesn't seem as bold and robust, or even fresh as it has in the past. More chocolate and roasted malts with hints of vanilla and sugar cookies. Some whiffs of alcohol too. Has a somewhat acidic coffee aroma. (3.5)

The taste is similar to the aroma and also not as great as I remembered, or at least not as good as the 07 and 06 release. Faint chocolate, coffee, roasted barley flavors. Baker's chocolate in the finish. Roasted bitterness in the aftertaste as well as some cocoa powder. (3.5)

Feels a tad thin and watery but good overall. (4)

Quite easy to drink but I'm in no need of a spoon this year and that kind of sucks. (4).

10-16-2007 04:12:51 | More by seaoflament
DavidEddie

4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

Most recent batch. A thanks to Jim from Glen Ellyn Binny's for the hook up!
Poured a very vicious black dirty motor oil liquid into my Delirium tremens glass. Head was a thick khaki beige.
The smell is of strong freshly brewed coffee, dark chocolate, burnt sugar, and burnt/smokey malts.
Taste of black roasty coffee, dark bakers chocolate, and burnt toast. (This would make a great dessert beer!) Some slight tart hops comes out in the finish. It seems to balance everything out.
Mouth feel is thick, very creamy, lot of carbonation, coats your mouth, sticky. Flavors stay around awhile. A slow slipper for sure!
If it wasn't for the extremely difficult availability, I would be enjoying this truly outstanding fine oatmeal stout on more occasions.
CHEERS!

10-14-2007 03:05:12 | More by DavidEddie
garbercury

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Yes, you did read that right, I got this on tap. Thanks to Ron at Vintage Wine and Beer in Boardman, Oh, I had the rare pleasure of having this fresh from the tap!

First, I have to say this is not normally my favorite style of beer, I enjoy it but dont go out of my way for heavy stouts. Having this one will make you quickly change your mind about beer style allegiances.

A--Deep black with reddish tints in the generous and full head. Plenty of lacing, really a terrific looking beer.

S--You can smell the oats, barley, coffee. Hints of chocolate and definitely some hints of alcohol...

T--Wow, this is terrific. To me it blows away the Speedway due to the smooth finish and flavor. Outstanding.

M--Practically chewy. Just unbelievable.

D--This is great in the morning, I gave it a shot. There is no way you could drink more than a couple of these without feeling the heavy effects of this beer. If you dig this style, go out of your way to get it. Incredibly complex, tasty, and worthwhile, nice job Founders and thanks Ron...

10-13-2007 15:07:01 | More by garbercury
Homerbag

Wisconsin

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a perfect black. No light can make it through this one. Thin caramel color head that laces wonderfully down.
Smells of chocolate and dark espresso, perfect breakfast flavors.
The sweetness of the chocolate is balanced perfectly by the bitter chocolates and the espresso. I wish my breakfast tastes this good. The alcohol is there, just not in the taste.
This has the perfect mouthfeel. This coats the tounge from one side to the other letting all the flavors soak in.
I understand why there is a some hype behind this beer. It's just that good.

10-10-2007 23:18:53 | More by Homerbag
zdk9

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Pours an obsedian black. I search in vain for lighter highlights only to find an impenatrable wall of tar. Half a finger of dark cocoa foam resides briefly on the surface, dissipating to leave spots of thin residual lacing.

S- Coffee and espresso are the delicious forerunners in the nose. Quick on their heels follows sweet fruit- cherries, a delicious suprise. With more snifting a hint of alcohol comes out, refined and whisky toned.

T- There is a wonderful balance to this beer in which the espresso is strong but not dominating. There is more fruit here- cherries again, and also blueberries and sweet manderin orange. The chocolate flavor is faint; perhaps I can detect it in the sweetness of the beer, but that might just be malt, and I certainly can't pick out bittersweet chocolate over the bitterness of the coffee. Playing the beer over the back of my tongue reveals the touch of hoppiness which borders between Christmas Holly, and earthy mulch. Later the hops are strong in my burps.

M- A wonderful silkiness, getting better as the beer warms, and a true mouth coater. I also enjoyed that the bitterness of the beer didn't clench onto my tastebuds, but relaxed its hold and made way for sweetness to come forth, bringing a similar but new wave of flavor with it.

D- The alcohol is barely noticable, the taste is great- what more could you want out of this beer?

10-08-2007 06:39:42 | More by zdk9
umustdrink

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Got this in one of my first trades from Vancer, early last spring

2006 edition

A - Pitch black, no signs of any color. Medium brown head, faded to a thick ring. Sheets of lacing.

S - INTENSE smell of toasted, near burnt, malts. Grainy dark chocolate is a dominant smell here. Bitter coffee here as well and the faintest hint of a light creaminess.

T - The taste begins with a light tickling carbonation and a bitter coffee taste. The taste remains light and bitter for a good while, the dark toasty maltiness finally comes in, creamy this time. The aftertaste is really an amalgamation of all the flavors tasted here, but more bitter than creamy.

M - The consistency is actually pretty thick here, which I prefer in a stout.

D - Excellent beer and very unique. Definitely going to be looking to trade for this one again.

10-08-2007 01:48:07 | More by umustdrink
box299

This was wild!
I don't drink much stout other that Guinness, but I really liked this one. The Coffee taste is so strong in this one I might actually be able to get my girlfriend to try it. The beer was a black as any beer I have seen... the head was foamy but also a chocolaty color.

10-05-2007 01:40:15 | More by box299
bluejacket74

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with a half inch brown head. Head retention and lacing are both very good. It smells like roasted coffee, bittersweet/dark chocolate, roasted malt and a little bit of dark fruit. The aroma is excellent. Taste is impressive, with coffee, dark chocolate, charred/burnt wood, molasses and some bitter hoppiness in the finish rounding out the flavors. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, with the beer being smooth, slick and silky. Alcohol isn't very noticable at all. Drinkability is pretty good too! Overall I think this is a very, very good brew. Definitely recommended.

10-04-2007 23:35:32 | More by bluejacket74
Erdinger2003

Iowa

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured this at about 60 degrees the carbonation was big. The head was huge and it took a few pours even carefully to get this one in the glass. The head stays around a little while, leaving a good sticky lacing behind when it does fall. The color of the head is brown and the color is black and you can't see through it at all. The smell is sweet sweet coffee with a slight chocolate background. The taste isn't as chocolaty as I remember and the mouthfeel isn't as thick either, but it could be all of the release of carbon dioxide. The taste is very good chocolate sweet and bitter and a great coffee flavor. Mouthfeel is still smooth, but just not as thick as usual. Overall this is good and I would have another, but I hope to God I get some of the new batch that just came out.

10-03-2007 15:53:37 | More by Erdinger2003
NJpadreFan

Founders- Breakfast Stout

Dropped $22 for a 4 pack at Capone's- Norristown, PA.

A- Thick black with a Creamy dark tan head that just sits. 2 ring lacing of my glass.
S- Deep dark chocolate and sweet fudge.
T- Strong dark chocolate. Bitter with just a touch of sugary sweetness in the end.
M- Thick!!! with a dry cocoa bitterness. Slight sweetness pokes through but otherwise finishes off very rich.

Overall- Pure chocolate here!! Breakfast? nah. More of a desert beer!
For the chocolate lover this is your beer. I'm not a big chocolate fan but I could drink 2 or 3 no problem.

09-29-2007 17:32:55 | More by NJpadreFan
franksnbeans

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours black as night with a rediculous amount of chocolate head that dies slow. Smells of roast, dark chocolate and intoxicating coffee. Taste as it smells with the oatmeal making a presence as well. Feels medium in the mouth and smooth as silk. This is mighty tasty out of the bottle and not much different from when I had it on tap. Extremely drinkable, just like a cup of incredible joe with a brewers twist.

09-28-2007 19:40:01 | More by franksnbeans
wcudwight

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Recieved via trade some time ago.
Pours as black as black can get. Nice fluffy pillowy head that makes me want to lay my head on it. Thick lace coats the sides of the glass as to provide the beer with a velvet cushion.
The smell of rich coffee and chocolate almost knock you over.
Delicious and complex tasting as each new sip brings about new and more in depth flavors. Strong coffee provides the body with bitter chocolate, acidic, oats, smoked wood, dark fruits, and subtle hoppiness adding to the delight.
This beer feels like a mocha java milkshake. I really like the way it coats the mouth.
Very drinkable. Delicious and you can't taste the 8%.
I had very high expectations for this beer and it exceeded every expectation I had.

09-23-2007 06:46:44 | More by wcudwight
jmalex

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Had on tap at Capone's on Bell's/Founder's Night II. Review is based on notes taken there.

APPEARANCE: Absolutely pitch black with a one-finger high latte colored head. The head has great staying power and lacing was tremendous.

SMELL: An unexpected citrusy hop aroma along with huge amounts of chocolate and coffee. Vague fruity undertones were also detected. I just wish I could smell better in smoky bars.

TASTE: Mega roasty coffee flavors. Just huge. Large amounts of chocolate as well. A mild citrusy hop flavor is present, particularly in the finish. Toffee and caramel hints begin to come out as it warms.

MOUTHFEEL: Huge and chewy. You may need a spoon for this one. Carbonation level is low to med level and appropriate.

DRINKABILITY: Simply excellent. Nothing more to say.

Thanks so much to Matt for giving me and so many others the chance to try this fantastic beer.

EDIT 8-21-08: Drinking a 1-year-old bottle, the hops have completely dropped out. Any roasty harshness is also gone. It's just a smooth, chocolate-caramel-coffee-fruity-toffee luxury at this point. Though I can't help but think that a lot of the character has disappeared with it too. Age one if you've got because it'll transform into a great beer. But don't do it at the expense of trying it fresh.

08-31-2007 23:19:47 | More by jmalex
DarkerTheBetter

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

I had this on tap at Founder's

This beer pours a dark black with a bit of raisin around the edges. the head was just a copper tan collar.

Smells of coffee and oatmeal with a hard roasted smoked barley with tons of prunes and milk chocolate backing it up and deliciously rounding out the smell.

Tastes of a smooth, huge roasted barley with a touch of sweet cream. The trademark taste here is a green sappy, freshly cut twig. You won't find that anywhere else. There's also a perfect blend of coffee here along with some campfire roasted marshmallows. The finish is a delicate espresso. The way the coffee, the sticky barley and the sweetness of this beer balance themselves out is nothing short of legendary.

Feels medium bodied and dense that left a little film in my mouth. Th micro bubbles are hidden within and make this one big and chewy without being sticky

Original and delicious. Go ahead a pair this one with some chocolate cake for a treat.

08-31-2007 20:34:02 | More by DarkerTheBetter
bosco7

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

On tap at Capone's just outside Philadelphia. Very excited to have a chance to try this.

Served in a snifter beautiful looking beer- opaque and black with a creamy tan head.

Coffee, chocolate, leather, soy, tobacco, vanilla and some maple in the nose.

Starts sweet with a lot of chocolate then moves into earthier flavors like tobacco, fermented soy, and maple wood. Finishes with espresso with a nice amount of bitterness to counter the sweetness. I was expecting a very sweet and thick stout, surprisingly this is very balanced and never overwhelmed the palate.

The mouthfeel on this beer is amazingly silky. It begs you to keep it in the mouth and give it one more dance on the tongue. Overall a very good beer that is surprisingly balanced and uber drinkable.

08-29-2007 21:20:10 | More by bosco7
brdc

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks to stoutsnipas for this one, tried twice, updated review.

Pitch black, with a nice coffee-colored head that shows little retention but a nice lacing.
First whiff is reminiscent of irish coffee, followed by levels of toffee, alcohol, coffee, sugary malts, then more coffee.
Taste is as expected, warmingly alcoholic, heavy on coffee, with just hints of oatmeal. Unfortunately, although the aroma is somewhat balanced, the taste is unidimensional, overpowering coffee and more coffee.
Full-bodied, it is a bit too heavy for "breakfast".
A well-crafted brew, but excessively "coffeeish" which IMHO is detrimental to everything else that could be going on.

08-21-2007 02:59:52 | More by brdc
BattleRoadBrewer

3.95/5  rDev -12.6%

Served at cellar temp from twist off 12 oz amber bottle into 10 oz nonick half pint.

Pours thick, creating a generous creamy rich head that leaves lots of lacing all the way down. Dark, dark brown with crystal clarity, filling the glass with opaque inky blackness.

Aroma is very acrid, the roasted malt definitely dominating.

Flavor is rich, with hints of dark fruits, acrid and very bitter from the coffee and malts (not hop bitterness).

Mouthfeel is thick, slick and filling, with a lot of creamy foam coating the tongue, finishing with a warm feeling in the throat as it settles.

Drinkability is good, the >8% alcohol isn't detectable, making it seductive. This is a filling, satisfying beer, great for breakfast, or anytime.

08-19-2007 00:20:51 | More by BattleRoadBrewer
bigman147

New Hampshire

Apperance: Opaque black motor oil. Thick although not as thick as the Imperial Stout.. Foam is several inches thick (poured at close to 60 degrees) and very dense. It lingers for several minutes, giving way to nice lacing.

Aroma: Dark chocolate and toasted pale malts. Slight sourness of like over-ripe yet very tart cherries or plums. Slight fusel alcohol that develops more as the beer warms.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Strong coffee bitterness. A mild sweetness that is quickly suppressed by the bitterness. Black malts and a slight taste of raw grainy character (maybe from the oatmeal). Carbonation is not as full as the Imperial Stout. Slightly thinner body but very similar carbonation.

Drinkability: Excellent beer. I can't really see having this with or as breakfast however, it would be a nice mid-morning hair of the dog. I can't imagine having more than one in any one week. Its a nice change of pace

07-14-2007 00:22:14 | More by bigman147
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Huge thanks to EliteDigger for this beauty!

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a complete black tar like liquid with no light coming through. Three fingered dark tan head that slowly dies down to a thin lacing that lasts throughout. Stickiness is really good for this style, holds on extremely well. Smell is a sweet sweet caramel malt with a flakey oat scent in the nose as well. Some bready malt seems to tingle too. Taste is a creamy milky caramel flavored coffee with a perfect amount of sugar. I might just take this one to work in the morning. Mouthfeel is full bodied with mild carbonation, very smooth and sweet, great combination. Drinkability is amazing. This style normally fills me up but I couldn't help but have another one after if I had the chance. Definitely get your hands on this one.

07-10-2007 02:11:53 | More by BeerTruth
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

This one was aquired in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks, John!

This pours from 12oz bottle a near pitch black with a very small tannish head of foam that dissipated quickly. I took the bottle straight out of the fridge so I'm going to take my time in enjoying this brew.

The smell has some nice roasted malt and I'm also gettting some dark fruit and toffee.

The taste, wow, to start off with, this is a very thick and chewy stout translating to a very nice mouthfeel.
I'm getting lots roasted malt and sweet malt goodness that is followed up by notes of coffee and coffee bitterness but the thing is, although it's so darned loaded with flavours..oh, there's the toffee I noted in the nose and there's some good chocolate *and* hot cocoa presence as well...anyway, I'm equally impressed with how smooth it is to drink and how well the alcohol is hidden. This one has drinkabilty written all over it.

A few more sips in and the flavours haven't diminished one iota but sadly, the amount of liquid in my glass *has* and that makes me sad. This is terrific stuff! And...I'm having it for breakfast; how apropos. The finish for me is both bitter and sweetish and the aftertaste lingers on and on.

Bottom line: I finally got the chance to try this highly touted Double Stout and it did not fail to impress. It's a MUST try for those who don't find it in their local market.

07-08-2007 15:22:19 | More by Bitterbill
TexIndy

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

Got in a trade with czoch75 - thanks! Since trade not sure of the age but had a notch in the bottom right of label. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Was pitch black in color even when against a light. Had about a finger of dark brown foam that slowly settled into a collar. Good lacing. The aroma was heavy on the coffee but could also detect lots of chocolate and some sour cherry. The taste was really good and I hate coffee so that says alot about how good this one is. Has a nice solid taste from start to finish. Just the right amount of bitterness at the end. The mouthfeel was creamy and solid. Because of my general dislike of coffee, I had to mark down the drinkability since while it's excellent it's not one that I'd reach right away for a second one. Overall, I highly recommend and can see what it is so highly rated. (4, RB-OAY, T, Y)

07-03-2007 01:11:02 | More by TexIndy