Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,214
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours out really thick and black. Very slight bubbles but I poured it really slow. Been in the Growler for 4 days.
Smell is charred malt and coffee bean. Some chocolate but it's dark and very creamy smelling.
Taste is just mellow as it can be. Wonderful cherry and dark black bitterness with a sweet maltyness combines all at once. What is left is a bitter blackness that sticks around for a long time.
Mouthfeel is very clean at first then a sticky bitter-sweet takes over till the end.
Drinkability is just perfect here. I want to drink this whole growler.
I think this is just as good and probably better than the bottle. Glad Kane at Roof Brothers in Paducah, Ky got ahold of this keg.

peabody, Nov 06, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

I've only recently tried this beer a week or two ago, and has since become a favorite of mine.

This was poured into a glass from a standard 12 oz bottle.

A - Opaque and black. Sticks to the glass like syrup. Dark tan head.

S - The coffee is very dominant in terms of smell. Some chocolaty aromas and roasted oats are showing through as well.

T - Wow! Still packs that delicious punch every time! Chocolate and coffee flavors just rush onto your tongue. When I first tried this beer, it was more bitter than I had expected, but not in a bad way. The bitterness still carries some sweet flavors with it thanks to the oatmeal and chocolate. This beer does taste more alcoholic as it warms to room temperature, but still retains that bittersweet deliciousness.

M - Clings to the tongue and the walls of the mouth as easily as it did to the glass it was poured in. Surprisingly smooth and very rich.

D - I could drink this stuff all day. A definite must try and must have for any beer drinker. It is not all that filling and makes a great dessert. A wonderful thing to have after a tough day.

thorvale, Nov 05, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

I had this at The Publick House.

Founders Breakfast Stout pours an opaque black, and is topped by a dark brown head that fades to a bubbly ring, and leaves good lacing. This stout has a wonderful, rich, roasty aroma. Strong notes of coffee beans are dominant, with subordinate notes of chocolate and hints of dark fruit. Swirling the beer enhances the dark fruit aromas.

There's a strong, roasty character present from start to finish in this beer. Upfront it serves as a counterpoint to chocolate sweetness, in the center it mellows allowing the chocolate flavors to blend with notes of dark fruit for a sweet kick, and in the finish the coffee used in this stout emerges and melds with the roasted flavors giving a lingering bitterness. This stout is full-bodied, moderately carbonated, and smooth and creamy.

I thought that this was a good, strong stout. There's a lot going on, and a nice interplay between the chocolate and coffee.

EPICAC, Nov 04, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

50th review! Couldnt have picked a nicer beer for the occasion. Poured into a snifter.

A- Thick, dark brown pour. Nice cascading deep red head. Not much retention but good lacing left from the remaining wisps of foam. The body is deep black, not any color even on the edges.

S- Strong nose! Big on coffee grounds. The coffee is like a punch in the face. Behind that trails some powdery notes of cocoa. The aroma is also quite leathery.

T- World class. Im really glad I can buy this locally. Like the nose the taste is big on coffee. There is a good deal of bitterness to this stout. Charcoal, bitter sweet chocolate and cola. The cola really comes out on the finish.

M- Medium carbonation. A little thinner that perfect. Drying and sticky. Really smooth and rich.

D- The alcohol is well hidden. This is a great refreshing and warming stout.

MbpBugeye, Nov 03, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4%

A: As black as a shade of brown can be. The head was the color of wheat bread and did not last extremely long on my pour, 1.5 fingers max.

S: Wet coffee grounds and bitter, semi-sweet dark chocolate are the prevailing aromas. Flat cola is the runner up and a great segue to the sweet maltiness that is around the corner.

T: When you order an imperial stout, this is what you want. I was not offended by the bitter finish at all. The finest example I have ever tried with plenty of character to spare.

M: Excellent. Thick and velvety smooth. Very balanced with great carbonation although mine was probably served colder than recommended.

D: Worth taking your time with, particularly so if served below 50 degrees. I only had one, would have had another, but I imagine two would be my limit here.

A bonafide must try.

FeDUBBELFIST, Nov 02, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -18.1%

A-Jet black, thick and syrupy, you cant even hear it pour. Dark tan head stays around for awhile. Lacing coats the glass as I drink.

A-Smells of coffee, syrup, leather, cola, tobacco. The smell doesnt exaclty explode from the cup. I had to stick my nose in the glass just to get a whiff.

T-This has a dry bitterness to it. Tastes mostly like cola to me with burnt charcoal mixed in. A mild sweetness comes in after the bitter assault. I wish there was a bit more sweetness to balance it out. All in all this one leaves a dry bitter taste in my mouth.

M-Nice smooth and thick. Creamy like chocolate mile. I love it.

D-Abit to bitter for me. I definetly wont get this again.

nicnut45, Nov 02, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance is black with a great cascading head. About three or four fingers worth of head. Nice head retention with sticky lacing.

Smell is initially wet coffee grounds and vanilla with a hint of cinnamon tobacco in the background.

Taste is coffee, coffee, coffee. Coffee in the font, coffee in the back. Black coffee. I don't like coffee but I like this beer. It's like coffee ice cream. Roasty malts.

Mouthfeel is moderate carbonation.

Drinkablity is remarkably good for such a bitter beer.

kbm, Nov 02, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

This is quite honestly one of the finest stouts we have tasted,smelled, or saw. By far on of the best non-oaked stouts of all time.
A- standard opaque, stunning golden brown head with tiny thick bubbles
S- stupendous smell, coffee is abundant, a nice malty sweetness to the scent
T- coffee, roasted oats with chocolate; slight vanilla aftertaste----tasty to say the least
M- quite thick, really smooth and creamy, with a velvet finish that lingers
D- an innumerable amount of these can be drank, there's a reason there is two cases of these in the house

(two person review)

pourmeup, Nov 02, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle poured into a standard pint. Oh my gosh, this smells like freshly ground expensive coffee with bitter chocolate shavings! Hopefully the alcohol will counteract any caffeine so I can sleep. The taste is consistent with the smell and the alcohol has a nice warming quality and doesn't overwhelm. Thick and creamy mouth feel. Intense and impossible to drink quickly, not that you'd want to. I should have waited for this to warm up more because the last two inches were the best.

TripT, Oct 31, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours an incredibly deep, black colour with a tan head that holds quite well. Smells very strongly of coffee, it finally dawns on me that breakfast stout makes total sense. The Coffee is strong, but i do also set hints of chocolate, as if i'm about to drink a mocha beer-ccino. The taste is overpoweringly coffee, the chocolate that i smelled is now also fairly prevelant. The beer is also very heavy, to the point that after I had drank half of it, i no longer wanted to eat. This is the definition of "meal in a glass". It took me a while to finish it, and i couldn't have another, not because of my dislike of the beer, but simply because i was full. Certainly worth this price of admission

jamiesessions, Oct 31, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottle poured into a snifter

a: dark almost jet black hue. nice 3/4" silky tan head. good retention.

s: inviting rich coffee aroma. Smells like a new pot of coffee on the kettle

t: coffee, roasted malt, semi-sweet chocolate. light hop bitterness. does have a bit of a nut complexity to it as well. Well done founders.

m&d: rich creamy mouth, alchohol is nice a warming. Not a session beer... drink it slow and enjoy.

cheers!!!

UDbeernut, Oct 31, 2009

I poured this exceptional beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a rich black color with a very nice thick tan head. It really looked good. The smell was heavy coffee dark roasted. The taste was the same, heavy dark roasted coffee with a smooth oatmeal cookie finish. I lapped it up an will buy this beer again.

Minkybut, Oct 30, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -6%

I absolutely love Coffee Stouts, and this is one fine example of the style. I have yet to be disappointed with a Founders beer, and this one might be one of their best.

A: Pours a thick, pitch black color. No light penetration whatsoever. Head sticks around, but lacing is pretty minimal.

S/T: The aroma is full of rich coffee. Smells like a nice fresh pot of coffee. Very inviting aroma. The taste is even better than the aroma. I get a lot of fresh roasted coffee upfront. That leads way to a nice rich chocolate flavor in the finish. A great mix of coffee, chocolate and roast, with the coffee being the dominant flavor. Not the best Coffee Stout I have had, but easily in the top 5. Excellent.

M/D: Mouthfeel is very creamy and pretty full bodied. Not super thick, but still nice. I wish the finish lingered on a little more than it does. Drinks very well. Nothing harsh or offputting about this beer at all. Would be an excellent substitute for coffee in the morning. This will be a staple in the fridge all winter long.

Fantastic beer. Maybe a tad overrated, but still one excellent beer. I personally prefer Mikkeller Beer Geek, Brunch Weasel, Southern Tier Jah-Va, and Peche Mortel, but this one rounds out my top five Coffee Stouts.

OldSchoolGamer, Oct 29, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from the bottle into a DFH Chalice.

A: A deep, deep, totally opaque dark chocolate brown with a nice brown head. There is seriously zero light transmission through this beer. The head doesn't stay around, but that's just fine with me.

S: Sweet roasted malts, ground coffee, ripe banana. Nice, fairly mild, inviting.

T: An awesomely complex brew - it hits the palate with a light creaminess and then opens up beautifully. A light, dryly sweet chocolate flavor is balanced by wonderfully integrated hop bitterness. As soon as the bitterness hits you, a fruity, honey sweetness coats your mouth to counteract the hops. The finish is long, with the hop bitterness re-entering the picture as a tingle on your tongue, but the sweetness still lingers. It fades perfectly with great balance even at that point...

M: Creamy, light, but thick enough to be satisfying. Mouth-coating without being gooey.

D: I want more than this 12 ounce single I got, that's for sure.

Telix, Oct 29, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I believe this is last years release. Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- dark dark brown almost black. Thin film of head that does leave scattered lacing.

S- Smell of espresso grounds and bitter dark chocolate.

T- dark (black) coffee, bitter sweet chocolate. Something syrupy in there. As it warms a little bit of hop and alcohol appears.

M- Smooth on the tongue with a tingle of carbonation. A little thin for my tastes. Finishes dry.

D- Very delicious beer, but probably wouldn't want more than 2 or 3 in a sitting.

bmoney, Oct 27, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Great Stout! Pours out of a short bottle, Very dark with little head...but coffee colored head that settles to a rim around the glass and leaves kong lasting lacing. Smells pretty potent. Chocolate, coffee, bitters. Closely resembles an espresso scent.

Very obvious coffee taste, with hints of chocolate. Heavy...but booze is well hidden. Common stout bitters on the back of the palate...but a very, very pleasant taste. Great brew!

ShadesOfGray, Oct 27, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

'09 release poured into a pint glass

A- Deep black with a very small/thin a dark tan/brown head. When glass is tipped, it is much more transparent and thinner than I expected.

S- Initially, aroma is heavily dominated by coffee with chocolate undertones. As it warms, I'm getting what I assume to be "flaked oats" due to the closest aroma I can compare this to is a contained of raw Quaker Oatmeal. When I really get my nose down in there, I pick up a bit of the heat, but this is the only evidence of alcohol that really comes through from start to finish and I have to try to find it. After it warms up even more, I'm getting "wet dog" scent out of nowhere (no I don't own a dog,) but at this point I'm loving it too much to let that get to me.

T- Burnt coffee with chocolate followed by a nuttiness that I can't really pin down to a specific nut. The flavors become more apparent as it warms, as one would expect, but this is a beer I enjoy from start to finish (even if I am impatient and start sipping when it is too cold and wait too long and finish when it is warmed than I would prefer.)

M- Starts off with a nice creaminess from the oatmeal with a nice zip of carbonation on the tip of he tongue and the back of the palate that I don't often experience with some of the thicker stouts. Finishes on the dry side when compared with other oatmeal stouts.

D- I can't say that I would want to drink more than one or two in a sitting, but I would love to have one every morning for the rest of the fall/winter. A true breakfast of champions.

mbudner, Oct 26, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Poured a tan, caramel head that quickly dissipated. Espresso colored. No light gets in or out.

S - Smells like strong coffee grounds. I used to work in a coffeeshop, and this smells exactly like the leftover espresso grinds from the end of the night.

T - Robust, roasty coffee. Nicely sweet. Some lingering hop bitterness at the end.

M - Creamy, light carbonation, with a bite at the end.

Overall, I enjoy and recommend this, if you like coffee of course.

longdivision, Oct 23, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Virtually black body is tinged with ruby highlights. The tan head fades to an island of foam. No lacing to speak of. Aroma is heavy on the roasted coffee notes with a hint of hops. The flavor follows - very strong on the coffee flavors - almost tastes like a shot of espresso in a decent stout. Some hints of dark chocolate start to poke through and a hint of sweetness eventually appears after several sips. Almost half the beer is gone before i really discern any hop flavors. Mouthfeel is decent, but perhaps a bit thin for the size of the beer. Drinkability is also good. After having this side-by-side with Goose Island Night Stalker and Bourbon County, this beer comes in third in my book. A good beer I will buy again, but not as great as some of the others.

aaronh, Oct 23, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

A: This is an absolute midnight black color. Bright light does not shine through even on the edges. The moderately tall head is dark brown, frothy, dense, and creamy. Retention is nice, with some very attractive lacing.

S: Huge aromas of fresh coffee beans - I've had coffee that smelled less like coffee than this beer. Strong notes of dark chocolate and cocoa powder are also present. Dark roasted malts and some hints of nuts and lactic sweetness.

T: Dark, roasted, slightly blackened malt flavor up front. A huge rush of fresh coffee beans covered in dark chocolate. Some hints of cocoa powder as well. Overall, the flavor is of straight-up chocolate covered coffee beans. A mild underlying fruitiness recalling sweetened cherries. Some lactic sweetness and oatmeal flavor is also present. Hop bitterness is quite firm, with herbal/leafy flavors. Alcohol is well-hidden behind the extremely robust flavor profile.

M: Thick, chewy, strong. A long, finishing aftertaste of coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. Carbonation is mild and somewhat creamy. A roasted dryness is quite prevalent.

D: Well, this one certainly lived up to the hype. A huge, bombastic beer. Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts - delicious. People probably lose sight of this beer as an oatmeal stout, a fact that only adds depth and character to a beer already full of it.

Clydesdale, Oct 23, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance- Jet black and think. The head is light brown and has great retention. A wonderful looking stout.

Smell- Upfront and amazing coffee aroma, a quarter of the way through I was able to dectect the hops, and again a above average.

Taste- This is the best "breakfast" stout I've had. Coffee is the dominate falvor you get, follow by chocolate, and the oats. You will get a slight hop profile at the finish, my guess is cascade.

Mouthfeel- This is a think and heavy beer, with the warming of alch at the end. Drinkability might suffer from the 8.3% abv but I've had other beers that have less where you can taste that more.

Overall a great beer, and perfect for a cold winter day.

Burl41, Oct 22, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Suprised to stumble across this one at the store. $12 a 4pk.

A- An aggressive pour into my snifter leaves a foamy, frothy head on top of an obsidian base of beer. Very nice pour, great head retention, lacing from the start. Head settles to a film a few minutes after pouring.

S- Deep, rich, bitter baking chocolate and a strong black coffee presence. Well, it is a "double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout", so that makes sense. Smells are intense... whoo!

T- Incredibly good. More chocolatey than I would have expected from the nose. Unlike Rouge's chocolate stout, which was more milky, this one is bitter, and I think I'm in love. The roasted coffee adds to this and what we have here is an incredible beer. Malts are incredibly smooth, perhaps the oatmeal? rounding out the bitterness from the coffee. At 60IBUs, I assume there's some serious hoppage going on, but don't really notice it. Incredible balance.

M- Fantastic. Thick, but not too heavy, glides across the tongue. Enough carbonation to keep things rolling at a leisurely pace. Wow. For all it's got going on, though, it is still a beer first. I just had a Peche Mortel and found it to be almost too much like coffee. This beer hits the bullseye. No sign of the ABV.

D- High. I've never had a beer so rich and powerful that went down so easily. I want more, and I will be getting more. @$4 a 12oz, not an everyday sipper, but I want to get 3-4 4pks and squirrel them away. Prob. one of the best Imp. Stouts I've ever had and worthy of all the hype. Wow!

ShogoKawada, Oct 21, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Darkest brown and thick with a dark fudge colored head of creamy foam with some big bubbles and fine sheets of lace on the glass. The charred coffee bitterness, dark chocolate and anise are full bore in the nose on this one. Flavors of dark chocolatey fudge and coffee dominate, the alcohol is well hidden. The oatmeal adds a creamy quality to the full bodied mouthfeel. This is one beer that lives up to it's hype, it's fantastic.

biggred1, Oct 21, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip pint glass. Pours a creamy single-finger head that retains nicely on a black-as-midnight ale. The aroma smells overwhelmingly of a dark coffee roast and thick malty goodness. I'm salivating already.

The taste does not disappoint. The flavor is dominated by coffee, but has rich undertones of malt, milk chocolate and oatmeal. The body is as heavy as it's appearance, chewy, and has just the right amount of carbonation. This is about as perfect as it gets.

I'm blown away by this beer; it is excessively rich and yet beautifully balanced. Now I wonder... could I replace my daily morning coffee with a glass of this instead?

Knecht, Oct 20, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Now THIS is a beer, a man's beer. It's what you grab in the morning that will get you through the day. It's the Wheaties for beer drinkers, already mixed with your coffee. That aside, is it just me, or does the weird lookin kid on the label give anyone else the creeps? He looks like a 45 year old baby spooning crack into his mouth... anyways, here's my review, hope you enjoy it.

Note, just popping the cap unlocked this huge aroma of coffee and chocolate making me salivate like one of Pavlov's dogs.

A: Pours with a luscious rich chocolate covered head that fades pretty quickly. Its super dark colored that barely lets any light through, and the few photons making it through have been so distorted they're forever stained with darkness and probably traveled through time somehow. It doesn't pour super thick, but is much thicker than most beers.

N: OOooohhh yeahhhh!!! It's like super coffee espresso mating with chocolate and popping out babies of light alcohol. The roasted malt on the nose is so rich I can feel it charring my nasal cavity. A huge dark chalky chocolate aroma dances as it mingles with the roasted malts and coffee. A light alcohol finds its way through the crazy malts, coffee, and chocolate, to tingle your nose a bit. I think I detect a slight oat as well, feeding back into that breakfast theme. If only I could pour buttloads of chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and essence of pour roastedness into my oatmeal in the morning.

T: A heavy stouty flavors starts the taste, but it quickly changes to roasted malts. Those things dominate the taste big time. Some bitter dark chocolate and earthy charred taste start to come through as well followed by some alcohol. Then some more oats, yes it is for breakfast. A slight sweet chocolate milk runs down the back of your mouth and is mostly masked by the crazy strong flavors up front. I get some coffee on the taste, but nothing like what I expected from the plethora that poured out on the nose.

M: Pretty thick, but still slightly watery, enough so that you can actually drink it instead of having to chew it. The alcohol tingles the mouth all over. Pretty light on the carbonation.

F: Finishes semi dry surprisingly, but still has some sweet undertones. The earthy charred roasted chocolate stout bitterness flavor <taking a breath> really stick around for a bit as the liquid coats the mouth. I can almost taste the black flavor and darkness that come from it. It's like the flavor of "black". I also get a slight oat taste long after its over.

Final thoughts: A very big heavy stout. Pretty thick on taste and mouth, but not so much you can't drink it. It has a nice alcohol taste, but not overbearing. Toooons of roasted malts, chocolate malts, dark roasted tasty goodness, oats, hay... wait not that, and the essence of pure darkness. A great drinking beer, and it gets much better with age as I have experienced before. I'll probably save most of the case I got, but drink one from time to time to help me through the cold winter coming.

jlindros, Oct 20, 2009