Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,061
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
UnionMade

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Mike for this bottle!
Used motor oil black, capped with a dense, dun froth. Cobwebs of lace. Giant coffee aroma, hugely roasty, very similar to smelling the empty can of Folger's I kept my MUSCLE figures in as a kid. A bit woody, hints of prune and nut. Toffee and chocolate. The flavor opens softer, gentler than expected, but much more complex. Layers upon layers of flavor. Silky smooth on the tongue. Velvety, lower levels of carbonation. Big coffee and roasted barley right up front, soft, flaky oatmeal mellowing things throughout. Wood, walnuts and cashew. Caramel sweetness adds to the softer touch of this brew. Real coffeehouse mocha cappuchino, chocolate syrup, with a dryer, cocoa powder bittersweetness easing into the finish. So soft. A slight dash of prune or raisin, some sort of dried, wrinkly fruit. Vague hop presence in the finish, overshadowed by the all encompassing malt. Just a short prickle of pine needle bitterness, as well as very slight phenolic clove. No hint of alcohol. Finishes dryish, with a long lasting aftertaste like a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal at breakfast. Just wonderful.
Big, bold, but surprisingly elegant and well put-together. For so much going on, the flavors integrate masterfully. Really very reminiscent of breakfast and sleeping late on Sunday mornings. If you love good coffee, this is the beer for you. Another amazing beer from this great brewery.

12-08-2005 04:32:49 | More by UnionMade
Sudmissle

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Dark brown to black. Has 1/3 of an inch head with great lace retention on side of glass for 20 minutes.

Smell: Rich toasted coffee, malty and carmel notes

Taste: Rich without being overbearing. Wonderful aftertaste. Toasted flavor throughout. Hard to believe the 8.3% alcohol because the other ingredients offset it.

Mouthfeel: Thick as a brick. One of the thickest I've ever had, which for this style is perfect. Many microbreweries have a dark-as-the- night colored stout that is thin as water, but not this one.

Drinkability: Surprisingly good for how rich the beer is.

Overall impressions: We all have our opinions and biases, but that's what this site is about. For the record, I place this into my top five or six favorite stouts in the world, which are:

Bell's Double Cream Stout
Avery Czar Imperial Stout

12-04-2005 00:21:37 | More by Sudmissle
Ellbert

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Blackholish with a brown head that was massive. Beautiful!

Smell: Dark chocolate. I find that the chocolate comes in the nose than anything and lacks in the flavor. You smell some roasted coffee but mostly chocolate. One downfall to this beer is that I can actually smell green olives in there also.

Taste: Fantastic! Freshly brewed coffee with chocolate highlights. The oatmeal adds a slickness.

Mouthfeel: Rich and chewy. Oatmeal adds tons to the body of this beer.

Fantastic!

11-24-2005 00:12:13 | More by Ellbert
BigDaddyWil

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Well, here it goes my first beer review, and I'll start with a great beer. Many thanks to my buddy NisJer05 for picking up this beer for me. Much anticipated, since this beer is brewed in my home state, and has been given such high marks. I was so excited to try this beer after reading about on BA.

Appearance: Dark black in color, with a thin cream colored head. No light could pass through when held up to a light. It had a slight oily texture to it.

Smell: Strong smell of chocolate, coffee and a hint of oatmeal. It almost reminded me of cookie dough, a great dessert beer.

Taste: Wow!!! My taste buds were alive with flavor. Mostly chocolate and coffee, definetely a mouthful. Yummy!!!

Mouthfeel: I guess the best way to descibe it, is a meal in a bottle. Kinda heavy, but very tasty. I could'nt get enough.

Drinkability: I could only drink one or two in a sitting. Even though this stout taste great, one of these beers fills me up. I would highly recommend this beer, especially on a cold winters night. I will have to stock up on this gem of a stout. Good job Founders!!!! I will have to sample more of their brews.

11-23-2005 02:23:20 | More by BigDaddyWil
TastyTaste

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Motor oil black body, with a head that can't be coerced into raising more than a small layer on top of the beer.

Smell: Rish dark chocolate and definite oatmeal, smooth coffee. A distinctly rich aroma, tru to the description on the bottle (the part about double chocolate oatmeal).

Taste: That is one fine stout. Rich and sweet, full and smooth. Tons of chocolate and coffee. Oatmeal mellows the flavor slightly. Hops are present at the very end, but the dessert-like nature of this beer can't be denied.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly full feeling on the way down.

Drinkability: Also perfect, this is a nice after-dinner type beer. Thanks to Px2Grafx for yet another winner.

11-19-2005 01:28:24 | More by TastyTaste
lou91

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer will make any stout lover drool – jet black, thick, dark chocolate milk shake head and a beautiful iced coffee, black cherry and fine chocolate nose. The taste matches the nose perfectly which is a damn good thing. Cold it was fantastic and as it warmed it was just as good. The aftertaste is so good that it mimics the effect of eating a piece of chocolate with a top notch stout. Skip the chocolate and just drink this. If you didn’t know it was beer you might think it was khalua on ice. Hey Founders! Put this in 750ml bottles and send it to CA!

11-16-2005 07:16:42 | More by lou91
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

This beer was obtained in trade from Frozensoul327. Thanks Eric! And thanks in advance for sending a spare!

This one poured out a very dark brown/black, with a one and a half finger head that started out a dark chocolate brown and faded to a medium tan. I know it was clear when I poured it, because I could tell from what I was pouring... but I don't think a ruby laser could cut through this puppy now.

Aroma was bitter chocolate, some sweet dark fruits, roasted barley, and hints of coffee... very powerful and layered. Damn, this one was incredible.

Taste was of strong roasted malts, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. I could tell there was some oatmeal in there as well.

Mouthfeel was perfect... deep, rich, chewy, smooth, silky, all rolled into one. It held onto the tongue just long enough to impart all the nuances of flavor.

Drinkability... well, it is taking all that I have not to run downstairs and grab the other one I have in my special locked cabinet.

This was truly an interesting experience. For a long time I did not like the darker, roasted beers, but I have really gotten a taste for them now. I still prefer IPA's, but these are so different, I am really learning that you can love more than one style equally.

This is a bittersweet review, as well. As I began this review, I found off of Yahoo that Eddie Guerrero, a wrestler with the WWE, was found dead in his hotel room this morning. So this glass is lifted in his honor. I could not find a better beer to toast someone of his caliber with.

11-14-2005 03:27:14 | More by connecticutpoet
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

This pours an apparent black, although I can see through the neck of the bottle as I pour. A coffee like foam caps it. The nose is of coffee and dark chocolate.

The taste is of coffee and complex chocolate. A vinous note is there. The oatmeal seems to provide a slightly grainy texture, nice mouthfeel. This one is probably enough, although after I eat, I'll probably have another. Quite filling.

11-10-2005 02:06:49 | More by Sephiroth
Starchild

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

I thought Breakfast would be a good starting point for a recent stout tasting. Since Founders says that it can be aged up to a year, I’ve decided to review this beer after 8 months.

I poured Breakfast into a Chimay Chalice. I got an inky body with a big khaki head. Scents of French roasted coffee dominated the nose. Like in the smell, the beer tasted mostly like French roast combined with dark chocolate, tangy alcohol, and hints of licorice. As the beer warmed, spicy alcohol emerged as well as flavors of milky oatmeal. Towards the end of the beer, coffee flavors reemerged along with hints of earthy grains while the spicy alcohol dissipated.

11-08-2005 16:23:21 | More by Starchild
mportsch

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a brandy snifter from a 12oz bottle. Many thanks to cmaruschak for providing this via trade!
Appearance: Completely black, with a nice thin layer of persistant lace.
Smell: Wow! Big odors of french roast coffee! I've never smelled a beer that so resembled rich coffee. Hints of dark chocolate try to sneak through.
Taste: I'm not a big coffee fan, but I do enjoy the blend of coffee, oatmeal, and bittersweet chocolate flavors to be found here. Coffee dominates my palate, but the other flavors are lurking in every sip. Certainly a complex brew.
Mouthfeel: The beer slides down the throat very easily, and feels just right - just thick enough, but not excessive.
Drinkability: Goes down very easily, but I wonder - is there caffeine in this?? We'll see if I get a headache!
Edit: I was informed that there is indeed caffeine in this - ounce for ounce the same as coffee. Surprisingly, I felt no ill effects from the caffeine - the alcohol must counteract it!

11-08-2005 01:55:16 | More by mportsch
pentathlete

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

I'm unlucky in the fact that this beer isn't distributed in central VA, but I am incredibly lucky to have received two bottles of this brew: one from deejaydan via B&G BIF and the other from bigern via the Great Pumpkin Beer Swap 05. Thank you both for the opportunity.

Poured into a big bell burgundy glass a dark brown with a brown foam which left some dots and rings along the glass. Huge nose of toasty malt, coffee, and swirls of chocolate. Very inviting. Taste is dark chocolate, coffee bean, burnt malts with a thick oily mouthfeel. Let's call it a beeruccino. Excellent beer that should go well with a nice sirloin and two eggs over easy...side of whole wheat toast.

11-05-2005 20:10:29 | More by pentathlete
Brewfan

Connecticut

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to Warriorsoul for this bottle. You rock Tom!
Poured into my DFH Raison D'Etre longstemmed-oversized goblet.
No head to the beer upon pouring. Whisps of tan lace surround the outer reaches of the beer, and stayed there for the entire beer.
Color of dark burnt chocolate with some ruby highlights. You couldn't see through this beer with x-ray specs.
First smell was earthy dark chocolate infused espresso. Thin aroma of hoppy-alcohol soaked kalamata olives in the background.
Tasted of roasted bakers chocolate, heavy malt, toasted barley and cocoa powder dusted oatmeal. The coffee taste and smell is like the first espresso of the morning. The tastes change from sip to sip, really defining the complexity of this offering. The meadium body on this, along with the smells and tastes makes this one of the most drinkable stout I've ever had.
I really don't want this beer to end, but I seem to be drinking more than reviewing. My sips have turned to gulps and I don't have the control to stop myself. So drinkable a stout this is. I'm down to my last sip or two and have to force myself to draw it out.
Finishes like a well-done caramel mochiato with oatmeal thrown in for good measure.
Beautiful beer Founders. Now I just gotta get to MI to grab a case or 5.

11-02-2005 23:15:16 | More by Brewfan
ClearDog

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Had a pint on draft at the Landmark 1850 Inn in Milwaukee.

Appearance -- Pure black with a thick, creamy, khaki two finger head. Head lasted for quite a while. Very nice to look at.

Smell -- Very inviting chocolate and coffee. The smell is very reminiscent of breakfast. It gets intense as the stout warms.

Taste -- The taste changed for me with each sip. Taste went back and forth between bitter chocolate and a strong coffee flavor. Complex to say the least. Warming alcohol is also apparent but by no means overwhelming.

Mouthfeel -- Thick and creamy. Very dense. I'm reminded of oatmeal or some kind of warm cereal.

Drinkability -- I could do one or two at a time. The flavor is quite rich. The higher ABV is also masked well so if you were to have a few I'm sure it would catch up fast.

One I'll seek out again, but not at a bar. I prefer a bottle over draft.

10-28-2005 03:32:25 | More by ClearDog
xgrigorix

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Twelve ounce brown twist cap bottle, no dates.

Opaque inky black. Pours & looks like used motor oil. Dense tan coloured head. Thin sheet of lace left on the glass.

Rich dark chocolate aromas swirl with medium roast coffee. What am I doing still smelling this?

A rich blend of coffee, dark & bittersweet chocolate, along with some dark fruits. Some astringent flavours work their way in from the roast. Citrus & leafy hop flavours bring it home, becoming more pronounced as it warms, without ever being overbearing. Thick & velvety smooth, easy carbonation. Fabu!

10-28-2005 02:38:17 | More by xgrigorix
lostbearbrew

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

While I really enjoyed this brew, the numbers somehow belie my personal thoughts. Maybe it isn't quite the perfect beer I thought it was, but it s SO very good, all the same.

Darker than a thunderstorm night in the backwoods camping. Amazing blend of coffee - you can smell more than one type of coffee I think, and then bittersweet chocolate in the nose of this one.

Flavors of both coffee and roasted malts mix together with chocolate for an amazing, intriguing touch. The coffee comes through two, maybe three times, distinctly, in a sip, almost as if you are swirling coffee and roasty, oatmeal stout in your mouth together.

I have to say the mouthfeel is amazing - slides right down the throat with VERY little resistance - mental or physical. I could happily drink a few of these gems in an evening.

One of my favorite stouts, and certainly one of the best flavor blends ever.

10-27-2005 17:28:18 | More by lostbearbrew
warriorsoul

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to malty for this one...never makes it to my neck of the woods. Good 'ol cmaruschak supplied me with one earlier which I shared and did not review...can't forget the great traders out there.
Pours a dense black w/ a half finger of dark cocoa head that sticks around for most of the duration...thick lacing forms on the side of the snifter glass.
The smell is robust coffee up front, some more coffee and dark italian chocolate. A gentle sweetness finishes in the nose w/ even a bit of green hops.
Taste is one strong cup of mocha java...not overly sweet and a subtle bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden, but a magnificent warming overcomes the body as I work my way through this offering.
Mouthfeel is quite thick and the carbonation is contained and fantastic.
I could enjoy a number of these on a cold evening such as this...simply great.

10-26-2005 23:47:52 | More by warriorsoul
evanackerman

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

wow, what a beautiful pour, black as night with a thick taupe colored head that does not dissipate.

aroma is dark coffee with alcohol and a hint of chocolate.

taste is a chocolate explosion - rich dark chocolate accented by deep coffee, a nice touch of bitterness and then more chocolate. maybe the most complex beer I've ever tasted.

mouthfeel is absolutely perfect - smooth, creamy, low carbonation, everything I'd want from a stout.

This is a very fun beer, i will definitely be buying this again.

10-26-2005 23:27:53 | More by evanackerman
Frozensoul327

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

A world class beer. By far one of the best brews I have ever had, and easily the best oatmeal stout. Poured out to a pitch black color that had the consistancy of motor oil. Very thick pour and a high viscosity. A thin layer of mocha colored foam covered the top of the beer, but overall this brew had a rather low carbonation level. Aromas of heavenly malt, coffee, chocolate, earth, smoke, wood and toffee made my mouth water in anticipation of this liquid treat. Taste was phenominal; truely amazing flavors of coffee, oats, chocolate, toffee, malt and earth blend perfectly. Mouthfeel was great; very thick and chewy, like a liquid granola bar. Near exceptional drinkabiliy, I think I could have this nearly everyday and never get tired of it. This is one of the best beers I have ever had. I can't wait to get more. World Class, and highly recommended.

10-26-2005 22:43:40 | More by Frozensoul327
blackie

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

appearance: The pour into the snifter creates a dark brown head that is not very thick, but dissipates very slowly, leaving a generous ring of bubbles around the side of the glass. The nice looking head is easily recreated with a few simple swirls of the glass. For all intents and purposes, this beer is black, save for a little dark brown coming through on the edges. Some lacing is left behind on the walls of the glass.

smell: The first smells I notice are espresso and dark and bittersweet chocolates. Smells very similar to the espresso-chocolate chip cookies I buy at the local grocery. The espresso smell is impressive and pervasive; I want to say that it is cloying, but for some reason cannot. Some smoky aromas are evident, as expected with the amount of roasted malt used in this beer. The level of sweetness is just right. I can pick out the hop aromas with some careful smelling, and they are present in the perfect amounts. Practically no ethanol whatsoever is noticeable, at least until my hand around the snifter warms the beer above room temperature.

mouthfeel: Carbonation is a low medium, and the body a high medium in thickness.

taste: On the nose, the coffee bean aroma I detected was espresso. On the tongue, though I still get some espresso, regular dark roast coffee is what I really notice. The chocolate is there, but it is hard to pin down, probably dark chocolate, but also some milk. Sweet and bitter, chocolatey and coffee...coffeey? Slight astringency. The finish is composed of lingering dark roasted coffee flavors and a mild hop bitterness, both of which persist for quite awhile. I would like to score the taste a little higher, but the coffee is a little overplayed for my taste.

drinkability: Tasty enough and easy drinking enough to have a few, but not more than, say, four. Though I cannot really smell nor taste the alcohol, I can definately feel it.

I took the beer out of the cellar-fridge about thirty minutes before opening, and drank most of it at room temperature. Thanks dirtylou for the four pack, delivered to my abode. The beers sat in my cellar-fridge for about three months before I had the nerve to crack the first beer of the four pack.

10-24-2005 04:00:23 | More by blackie
nlmartin

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Twelve ounce bottle served at room temperature into a pub glass.

Appearance: Poured a very black with a towering coffee colored foamy head.

Smell: Smells of coffee, chocolate and malty goodness with a slight acidic tone.

Taste: This one has a very heavy chocolate and espresso taste nice roasted maltyness with good hoppy acidic taste.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This is a good and chewy stout and surprise of surprises it lives up to all the hype. This is easily one of my favorite new beers I have tried this year.

10-20-2005 04:25:53 | More by nlmartin
nortmand

Pours deep, rich brown with some tan foam and a bit of lacing.

Smell is a cacophony of bright, acidic coffee, chocolate, oatmeal. Somewhat fruity and nearly indescribable, other than to say: good.

Taste lives up to the delicious smell. Rich, malty carbs support sweet cream coffee flavors. Ends with a perfectly slight bitter bite.

Gummy, thick mouthfeel.

Big huge and surprisingly drinkable. I could most definitely drink this all of the time. Wow.

10-17-2005 19:26:02 | More by nortmand
blitz134

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

Received in a BIF from feloniousmonk...thanks again...

I think the room got darker when I poured this beer out. So...body is the color of burnt motor oil. Head was about 1/2" thick on the pour: dark chocolate milk in color. Slowly reduced to a think bubble layer.

Aroma is semi sweet chocolate with strong overtones of alcohol. A nice concotion of dark coffee with some toffee, fudge flavors swirled in. Alcohol is a bit stronger than expected but offers some additional complexity with the dark fruit aromas which I usually associated with higher abv stouts.

A near-perfect blend of all of the components which went into it. Individual flavors associated with chocolate can be picked up initially. Then a dark coffee comes through. The oatmeal is present in the "dryer" taste which works to meld the chocolate and coffee together. Also has a bit of a lactic/milk characteristic which gives it an overall sweetness. The only complaint I have is the alcohol strength which I find a bit astringent and reduces how smooth this beer can be.

Mouthfeel is oily, creamy, and silky on the tongue. Unlike any other beer I have had. This is the definition of full bodied.

Drinkability is brought down due to the alcohol. I generally don't mind strong brews and an alcohol presence, but I feel it is a little overdone in this case and almost astringent at some points.

10-08-2005 04:07:45 | More by blitz134
budsboy

After a long wait I finally got one! Yes!

Pours black, BLACK black, with a big, dark, thick cloud of a head.

Smells of deep roasted coffee, bitter chocolate. Really just coffee. Smell there.

A bit disappointing in flavor. Rich, dark coffee, chocolate and toasty, gritty roastiness. Somewhat abrasive.

Surprisingly thin, chalky almost. Very low carbonation, nearly flat.

A bit of a disappointment. I expected a big stout, and this, I'd say is a younger brother to the big stouts. Still a very nice brew and you should try some. I just won't be searching as hard for it in the future.

09-22-2005 23:39:51 | More by budsboy
lackenhauser

Maryland

Saved my last bottle for 5 months to savor the flavor. Color is pitch black-almost intimidatingly so. Great mix of coffee and dark chocolate in the aroma. You can almost see the coffee grounds in there-its not overpowering but just so "real" like youd find in a cup of coffee in front of you. Flavor of roasted malt with a mix of chocolate is amazing. Theres a lingering sweetness like youd find in a chunk of semi sweet chocolate. Nice grainy flavor in there as well. The harmonious mix of this beer is incredible. Killer body-I cant think of any beer this full tasting going down this smooth-especially a stout. Its almost slamable! Just an incredible beer overall. This is truely a stout to calibrate others against.

09-21-2005 00:15:01 | More by lackenhauser
battlekow

Wisconsin

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am, novelly enough, having the Breakfast Stout for breakfast. It's frighteningly black, with an unbelievably brown head. Smells outstanding, coffee, coffee, coffee, and chocolate. It has the smoothness of an oatmeal stout, combined with a massive assault of bitter coffee and, again, some chocolate to back it up. This beer is just outstanding, and certainly deserving of its repuation. I'd like to have a bottle each of this and Bell's Java Stout at the same time to compare.

I had this with some Guylian dark chocolate and they got along swimmingly.

09-18-2005 17:27:59 | More by battlekow