Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,129
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Slynger

4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

I've had this on the shelf for a couple of months and tonight seems like a worthy night to find out what all of the fuss is about.

It pours a cartoonishly opaque, pure jet black with a small but creamy mocha colored head that sticks around for a while.

All sorts of coffee fill the nose along with sweet dark chocolate and roasted malts; the hops are nestled faintly in the background.

Full and creamy mouthfeel, but a bit too much carbonation takes it one step back from being silky smooth. Bittersweet chocolate taste along with sweet caramel and roasted malts. A touch of mocha with a huge fresh black coffee kicker that dominates the palate, leaving a lingering bitterness.

I really wanted to love this beer but the intense coffee dominance prevented that from happening as I simply do not love coffee. I still feel it is a very good beer and coffee drinkers will no doubt find it fantastic.

01-19-2008 05:03:22 | More by Slynger
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to kryptic for the trade.

Breakfast stout pours an impenetrable black with a nice two finger dark tan head. As head reduces lace remains thick. The nose assaults one with coffee and blackened roasted malt. Wow!! Coffee and chocolate abound in this beer. Roasted malts and slight hop bitterness are there as well but the coffee reaaaalllyyyy dominates here. This is an excellent stout. Creamy chocolatey mouthfeel that goes down incredibly smooth. Drinkability is incredibly high. This beer is HIGHLY recommended. Thanks again to kryptic.

01-18-2008 01:40:35 | More by AKBelgianBeast
sleazo

3.68/5  rDev -18.6%

Finally

A_Pours a near obsidian black with a sma coffee coloured head.Settles down into a few bubbles.

S_Rich coffee aromas reach my nose before I even pull this up to my face. This is followed by charred malt and some damp earth.

T_Very potent charred espresso hits upon first sip, this is followed. Very bitter from those roasted qualities. There is aso a certain souress noted on mid sip. The follow through is very bitter.

M-Viscous and oily with a low carbonation.

D-This is a good strong stout. I have wanted to try this for a while. I think I prefer a slighty sweeter stout like Brooklyn's this one is a bit too bitter and possibly unbalanced.. Still I am happy to have had it and this would be in the rotation if it were local. Cheers to Unclejedi for the sample.

01-16-2008 02:44:06 | More by sleazo
Tizzod

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a deep, inky black, with a small head that dissapates quickly. The smell is rich and warm, with overtones of cocoa and roast coffee. After the first sip, all i can say is "wow." So smooth, so roasty. It's a little bitter but finishes very dry. The mouthfeel is sublime. Despite being very rich I would love to drink this all of the time! I can only imagine what a great breakfast this would make.

01-14-2008 03:15:02 | More by Tizzod
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -16.4%

So I'm actually sitting here drinking this right now, while I catch up on my other reviews. I popped it open cause, well, it's my birthday so I figured I'd kick things off with a Top 100 brew. I got a couple bottles of this from Skinnyelvis in the Secret Santa 2007 and have been waiting for an excuse to crack this one open.

Things started off well - this beer looks fantastic. Dark, dark, dark, but that really nice looking obsidian-dark that makes you think "damn, this is going to be good." Aroma - very nice as well. More restrained than I expected (was anticipating chocolate/coffee explosion) but very nice. Reminds me of "kicked up" hot chocolate and for some reason, something in the aroma just connotes "thickness" to my nose.

Stop the presses -- my first sip reveals an overly bitter, unbalanced stout with too much of the wrong kind of hops. I must say, it was quite a disappointment. I don't know if it's that I haven't had an RIS in a while, but I really had difficulty getting past the first half glass; the grapefruity hops just killed the rest of the flavour, which includes some very dark, gourmet coffee notes and hints of dry dark chocolate. I think the oatmeal in this also adds to the sourness of the beer, throwing it off more. I have to admit -- as it's warming, I'm getting more into it. But I can't say I'm enjoying it nearly as much as I expected.

Back to the good -- the mouthfeel is really nice, and the aftertaste is like that of a freshly brewed cup of pressed dark roast coffee. Excellent body, although it's got so much "stuff" in it that it's almost overly sticky.

Anyway... I've got one more bottle of this. I'm not sure whether to try it again in a month or two, or wait a year and see if it ages (I'm not sure if this is that type of brew). I might save it for next Christmas, or have it during the next Toronto snow storm. We'll see. Hopefully I can come back and change the "taste" and "drinkability" numbers, but for now I have to be honest and leave them the way they are.

01-12-2008 20:07:30 | More by crwills
Boppar

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz into a snifter.

A: Pours extremely dark brown, with a very thin brown head. Slight lacing.

S: Right off the bat, there are aromas of coffee, burnt malt, and chocolate. Alcohol is next, warm and spicy. Raisins, tobacco, and leather are also there.

T: Tastes very much the way it smells. There is also a faint, sweet licorice taste early on, and a mid-palate ripe berry sweetness. A dry, smoky finish rounds it out rather nicely.

M: Mouthfeel is awesome! Slick, heavy and chewy. It gets fluffier and chewier as I swirl it in my mouth.

D: The smokiness gets kind of obnoxious about halfway through, and begins to hamper the drinkability. One is enough for me.

The is a mighty fine beer.

01-12-2008 02:49:59 | More by Boppar
LittleBreeze

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks seaoflament...

Aroma is exactly what I hoped for. Awesome mix of chocolate, coffee..vanilla, more chocolate...roasted grains

This one tastes just like it smells. Very nice balance of flavors. It has depth. I'm loving this one. It is very hard to keep from drinking to fast.

As it warms it opens up even more. Mouthfeel is creamy.

I'm looking forward to trying more of this one.

01-11-2008 04:43:47 | More by LittleBreeze
jspruit

Denmark

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

Got this as a gift from my brother for Christmas, and shared it with a friend here in Ireland.

Poured into two different small glasses from a 12oz bottle and shared. Pours very thick like a thick dark black/brown molasses oil or something, but looks great with a 1/2 finger cream colored head that doesnt stick around too long.

First smells are of coffee and chocolate, definitely what I would have imagined from Founders out of this one.

Deep flavors of coffee and chocolate come through in the first tastes-exactly what would be expected based on the smell. Well balanced I think and not too strong, but definitely has a kick.

Tastes great as it goes down and as smooth as a beer of this style can go down really-a bit sticky here and there.

I'd like to say I could drink this all night, as I do enjoy the taste, but I do know that it does pack a pretty solid punch. I have another one of these as well and look forward to a whole one myself.

01-09-2008 21:30:27 | More by jspruit
Lupe

Received as part of Black Booty '08 from ahatcher78 - many thanks.

Black as night, no light at all comes through. Looks thick and viscous while being poured. Cocoa colored one-fingered head that settles to a thin cap, and leaves sporadic lacing behind.

Incredible aroma - Lots of roasty and sweet malt goodness. Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, a touch of vanilla, and a hint of alcohol. So inviting.

Flavor is similar to aroma. Starts of with roasted bitterness - bittersweet chocolate and espresso. The beer then instantly sweetens up with milk and dark chocolate, oatmeal, and vanilla. Some herbal hops and spice as well. Notes of sherry, oak, and a light warming alcohol burn. Finish is a battle between sweet malt and dry roast. Absolutely delicious.

Rich and full-bodied, velvety smooth, viscous, thick and chewy. Incredible drinkability - but this is my only bottle!! Perfect amount of alcohol. Wonderfully balanced. Just an exceptional beer that lives up to the hype.

01-09-2008 01:47:35 | More by Lupe
Mudpuppet

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Received in a trade with kryptic. Thanks!

A- Poured from the 12oz bottle into a Riedel sniffer. Pours a jet black with a thin tan head which quickly dissipated.

S- Not too strong a nose on this. Smells of coffee and dark malts.

T- I love this beer! Tastes at first of dark malts which quickly gives way to coffee and oats. This beer sticks around in your mouth for a bit which I really like.

M- Perfect carbonation somewhat of a medium carb but cuts through the thick brew very well.

D- This beer beckons to be drank. After every sip I am wanting another. I have yet to try this with breakfast but I will one day. And it will be glorious!

01-07-2008 02:26:02 | More by Mudpuppet
YonderWanderer

Colorado

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours an evil-looking pitch black with a thin layer of dark brown foam on top. It dissipates quickly, leaving a simple ring around the side of the glass. Nice lacing.

S: Coffee, chocolate, and roasted grains. This is one fantastic smelling brew. It's got me excited for the first sip!

T: Similar to the smell, but better. Dark chocolate, a huge hit of coffee, and a mild alcohol bite are all present, complimented by the roasted grains. Absolutely well-balanced and damn tasty!

M: Smooth, creamy, and delicious.

D: If they actually distributed this to MA, I would have it in my fridge all the time. Sadly, I've never seen it on out shelves. Great job Founders!

01-06-2008 22:31:24 | More by YonderWanderer
ConanDan

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

First bottle from two 4 packs just brought back from a family holiday trip to Grand Rapids, Michigan by trusty tasting buddy Patrick.

Poured into a 16 oz pilsner glass. Viscous and engine oil dark. One finger head, luscious tan color. Smells faintly of coffee at first, then more perceptible as it warms up. Enjoyed over 25 minutes or so.

Very noticible tastes of coffee, chocolate, not overly alcoholy. Definitely a skim of oatmealy glutens to coat the tongue. One of the least bitter stouts of the many I have sampled.

One of the most drinkable stouts I have experienced. Even my wife, who leans to pilsners and the less wild belgians, said it was something she could drink a bit of.

I'd better hide these from her.

01-06-2008 00:27:44 | More by ConanDan
thartman

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

This was served up in a 10oz. bubble glass at my favorite watering hole along the raging Manatawny River in Earlville, PA. The color was very dark brown with a mocha colored frothy head. Sticky lacings abound all over the glass.

Wonderful rich coffee and chocolate bouquet, reminded me of cappuccino.

Tasted rich and creamy, not to bitter. Tasted nuts and oats. The alcohol is well hidden. Fantastic taste, very warming and easy to drink,... I had a hard time putting my glass down, I would have this for breakfast, brunch, or anytime of day. Excellent!! :)

01-05-2008 16:43:29 | More by thartman
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a stubby 12 oz bottle to a snifter the liquid is dark dark brown and has way great carbonation. The head is a real fat 2 fingers as it crests the rim, recedes and leave really nice lase. 3 swirls kicks up a one finger foam pad, nice.

The smell is BAM! Coffee, with a smokey green fruit thing, Not sure what that is but it is different.

The taste is great man do I like the coffee beer, and this one is nice. Lots of coffee, mild amount of chocolate and a bit of smokey dark toast. Really lip smacking teeth licking good.

The mouthfeel is great, in the body a bit too much carbonation at first then creamy, and a bit chalky in the finish.

The drinkability is great, what a fine brew this one was
Huge thanks to NFLMVP for Keeping my cellar stellar.

Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK

01-04-2008 05:19:47 | More by MuenchenerKindl
RustyDiamond

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

First beer of 2008! Poured into my Sam Adams gift glass. Very carbonated, with 4 fingers of head quickly rushing to the rim. I had to wait a few minutes before pouring the remaining ounces. Super frothy tan-brown head, very bubbly and delicious looking.
Huge coffee aroma...couldn't really smell anything else.
First sip hit me with those huge coffee notes...wow! Once she warmed a little, I got an amazing mouthfeel of chocolate milky smoothness. Very creamy, with some hop sweetness with a touch of vanilla. Extremely surprised too find all these complex flavors working around the huge coffee taste...amazing beer.

01-03-2008 19:47:36 | More by RustyDiamond
tapman

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Pitch black opaqueness, a dark roast espresso head barely makes an appearance. Instead an espresso mist graces the surface. Lacing is adequate.

Aroma is that of fresh ground Italian roast coffee, dark baker's chocolate, alcohol, and a small degree of astringency. When it warms caramel and burnt sugar (like atop a creme brulee).

Taste is espresso coffee, dark chocolate, chocolate malts, light and dark roasted barley, a medium degree of crystal malts, and chocolate milk (some lactose?) make up the malt and adjunct flavors (if there were any adjuncts). Hops are perhaps English and American if I'm guessing correctly. Possibly related to Golding and a Cascade-English hybrid, though I'm hardly an expert, just guessing.

Mouthfeel is thick yet velvety in its dexterity. Its also just light enough to be considered creamy. The only thing I'mmissing is any kind of carbonation, seriously its kinda flat. After reading other reviews I'm suspicious if I just had a bad batch...

Not a session at all for me. My four pack lasted two months, but each one was savored and thoroughly enjoyed. Very good with vanilla ice cream. Still, pretty big for repeat drinking.

01-03-2008 00:15:02 | More by tapman
gunnerman

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

I am glad to have picked up this fine brew while in Ohio, me living in FLorida I dont think we will ever see founders in the state. Poured into a snifter, pours a pitch black with a serious carmel colored head that stays the entire drink. Smell is very impressive, I had the glass sitting on my coffee table and I could smell the roasted aroma from about 3 feet away, roasted oats coffee and a bit of sweetness like dark chocolate smells. Taste is wonderfull with strong dark chocolate, I taste a bit of bitterness and a aftertaste of strong coffee that I have never experienced before, simply amazing beer, one of the best that I have ever tasted.

01-01-2008 22:34:53 | More by gunnerman
kdoc8

Oregon

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to Nat and Konrad for this delicousness. It poured out of the bottle, thick and very dark, with a thin, brown, bubbly head that lingers for quite a while. The smell is amazing and strong and roasty with hints of coffee/espresso and chocolate. Completely black in color, with no hints of red or opacity. Taste - wow. So good. Creamy and roasted oak and chocolate taste is up front; a whiff of alcohol to the taste, but it's mainly covered by the roasty flavors. Thck and delicious, though in a lingering aftertaste, there is a burnt coffee flavor on the back of the palate. But that's no reason not to keep on drinking it. And 8.3%? I couldn't smell or taste it.

01-01-2008 01:48:12 | More by kdoc8
SaCkErZ9

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks go out to hoppymeal (I think) for this one.

Dispensed from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours pitch black and with the consistency of warm molasses or motor oil. Small, coffee-with-cream colored head that doesnt amount to much sizewise, and quickly dissipates into a ring around the edge of the glass. With some swirling and agitation, the head regains a little of its form but falls into grace once again.

Aroma is full of coffee and backed with chocoalate. Smells like breakfast to me. Some slight alcoholic esters are in there as the beer begins to warm a tad, but doesnt detract a bit from the overall experience. As far as hops; not really much.

If there were a 4.25 in the taste category, I would go with that. However, without the choice, I will lean toward the 4 mark. Great coffee flavor. Kind of sweet. Dark fruits. Chocolate, toffee, licorice.

Overall a nice beer. I dont particularly agree with the majority on this beer, but a great example of the style. Personally, I prefer Terrapin Wake N Bake to this, but that is just me. I am glad I got a chance to try this and I would certainly love to get my hands on this in a draft situation. Full bodied and sticky on the tongue. ABV becomes a little apparent toward the end of the session, but it is a welcome warming. A nice coffee stout.

12-30-2007 20:58:05 | More by SaCkErZ9
rudylaw

On tap @ Map Room

Besides Surly Darkness, this is my favorite beer. If you ever dreamed of drinking chocolate oatmeal with a splash of delicious coffee, this is for you. I actually much prefer this to the KBS, which I had on tap @ Founders, as its strength is much more manageable.

I had a goblet of this at the Map Room when it was their beer of the month and I couldn't have been more pleased. Not even the semi-high ABV takes away from its drinkability. It's too bad it's such a hard one to find as I would have my fridge stocked with this otherwise.

Just about the perfect beer.

12-29-2007 17:59:20 | More by rudylaw
MrBen

4.13/5  rDev -8.6%

This was very nice on tap. Black pour, medium thickness, light-tannish head. Scent of dark malts, toasty sugar sweetness, some coffee, and some nutty notes. Slight bitterness on the palate, but balanced well with the sweet side. Coffee was not too prominent, making for a more complex drink. Good stuff.

12-28-2007 19:01:03 | More by MrBen
mully

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

A -- Black with a thin tan head very thin, but it lasts

S -- Coffee alcohol(in a good way) and chocolate

T -- Coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malts and smoothed together with the oats.

M -- Thick the oatmeal comes through here and oily like French press coffee smooth and stays around after you swallow

D -- It hides it's alcohol well not too rich could drink a couple real easy.

12-28-2007 05:51:52 | More by mully
Murchmac

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to tangfoot for this beer. This beer looks great, cocoa look, brown lacing on the outside.

Fresh ground coffee hits up immediately harkening back to the folgers ads where the kid comes home for christmas and wakes up the family with a fresh brewed pot of coffee.

Very blended taste, excelente. Warm caramel or toffee, coffee, chocolate, lingering aftertaste. Great beer.

Great mouthfeel, smooth, not a lot of carbonation, excellent beer.

Everyone should drink this.

12-28-2007 05:12:52 | More by Murchmac
marcpal

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

Thank you stewdawg for this one.

Ill keep it short- Ive been saving this one for christmas morning and it was awesome.

Served pretty cool but let warm. Poured into goblet and was pitch black and went with chocolate waffles. Incredible head and body as well. Lacing also remarkable.

The smell was intense chocolate and coffee and just breaded deliciousness. The taste was tremendous and the alcohol was all but undetectable. This one played to what was advertised- not much to say than what hasnt already been said.

Bitterness was great and matched great with the coffee with a slim carbonated mouthfeel. Dangerously drinkable for a christmas morning and could easily wake up to one of these on a daily basis.

12-26-2007 00:20:19 | More by marcpal
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Merry Christmas to me! Enjoyed on christmas morning in my Surly Darkness goblet. Pours a thick oily black with a creamy mocha head. Smell- Lots of dark chocolate and roasty goodness. Taste- Coffee roast and ash balanced off with lactic sourness from the oats. Chocolate is actually subdued in the taste. Very creamy mouthfeel which finishes dry and bitter. Definitely an eye opener

12-25-2007 18:09:35 | More by oakbluff