Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,226
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

I don't know what is with this. I have had it 3 times and the first bottle I feel nothing special for. The second, I start to think "you know, this is not bad at all". The third I feel like getting down on my knees and kow- towing.
It's not that the four pack has warmed and opened up a some. I start them all off warm.

A- Black head. Nice lacing. Obviously a quality product on the way.

S- For the 800th time. Coffee up front and bitter chocolate up next. So much coffee obvious, you really have to sniff out that chocolate.

T- Exceptional. First taste (or bottle) is always that coffee. Then that chocolate hits you and your off. Don't see how some reviewers feel this is a one timer for the night. It comes in a four pack for a reason. You only live once.

M- I love mouth feel and this has it. Velvety Coffee chocolate bar.

D- A friend of mine once said after one bottle "this is how a stout is supposed to taste". I had a great, fresh Guinness once (in Belfast. The only great pint of it I've had) and I could see how this can be great and this is 10X better.

Flashy, Oct 01, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to ericwo and Brenden for bottles for this wonderful beer!

The beer pours a beautiful black with a nice toffee head. The lacing is nice, but I would have loved to see the head last longer. Still a beautiful beer.

The smell is dominated by burnt coffee. Other sweet tones come through, but they are a bit muted.

The taste is of burnt coffee, chocolare, sweet malt, milk, and other delicious goodies.

I was a bit disappointed by the mouthfeel. I thought it would be a bit thicker, but it is still an enjoyable brew.

Thankfully I have another bottle of this beer since it isn't available here. Great beer and very drinkable. A new favorite.

RomaniIteDomum, Sep 30, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

An agressive pour into a goblet style glass provides a almost 1/2" chocolate malt brown head.
Nice lacing on the glass, not cloppy, and not stringy, but somewhere in between.

Very powerful coffee smell with a dark chocolate semi-sweet note that lingers in the background.

just a few minutes in the glass warming have brought about flavors that weren't there at the start. Cocoa beans is what I really am left with for taste after a pleasant malty/coffee start the flavor recedes to a cocoa sweet bitterness.

Velvet in a glass best describes the mouthfeel. Its slick and its soft.

At first I thought this brew was a one and done for the night just because of the body. Now after trying this interpretation of the style I think this cold, wet Michigan night would greatly benefit from one more bottle.

moosiz, Sep 29, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Very very black head, opaque black at that. Tan brown head, maybe a finger. Decent head retention with lacing that isn't too bad either. Can't wait to drink this beer.

S- Roasted coffee jumps out with other roasted malts. Dark chocolate closely follows the coffee finished by a subtle smell of alcohol.

T- Roasted coffee once again jumps up on the forefront of the palate. Dark chocolate notes become the most prevalent taste and really lingers for quite some time. Not sure if it is from the chocolate or a presence from the hops, but there is a nice bitterness that comes in the taste as well (I am leaning towards more of a bitter chocolate, but there certainly is a hop presence). Taste of warm oatmeal comes across as well which is not surprising in a breakfast stout, but the oat taste is not as large as it would be in an oatmeal stout. Very small taste of alcohol in the taste, not very large considering this is 8.3%. Almost a warming liquor sensation at the end of this beer. Exceptional taste.

M- Thick mouthfeel that is great for a stout. A mouthfeel that I would described as chewy.

D- I don't want to put this beer down and actually just finished it even while writing this review. You won't put down many of these beers, but you will finish one pretty easy.

Lolli1315, Sep 29, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from the bottle into a North Cast Nonic pint glass. A little scared to review this one, seeing as I'm not much of a coffee drinker.

Pitch black motor oil into my glass. Not much head on the pour- about one finger of light brown foam that quickly yielded to a stick-to-it ring that never left.

My nose is overwhelmed by coffee- I feel as if I'm about to drink some of my dad's favorite bottom of the pot farmer brothers joe. I hope there's more to this beer than this one flavor.

Great, thick and viscous mouthfeel. Almost reminiscent of drinking chocolate if not for the minimal carbonation.

What a truly enjoyable flavor. While there is an abundance of coffee notes in the brew, there's wonderful hints of bitter chocolate, hops, and heaps of toasted- no burnt- malts. This beer is also interesting in the sense that it starts big and finishes smooth, a quality I really appreciate in the world of big bodied stouts.

I sure couldn't drink too many of these, and as a matter of fact this one took me fifteen minutes to down as I wanted it to warm a little before finishing. With that in mind, there is absolutely no clue that this beer carries with it a 8.3% ABV punch. What a joy to drink!

cptierney, Sep 28, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a viscous black and creates a textbook appearance for the style. Nice 1 inch vanilla and mocha head with some carbonation visible. Smell is of coffee and chocolate, as well as dark roasted malts. Up front the taste is coffee followed by a large dose of roasted malt. It is drinkable for a bigger stout and just incredibly well done. Complex and almost perfectly blended. A go to for sure. I would like to see this beer at 9%abv though.

johnnybgood1999, Sep 27, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a Duvel glass.

Pours a dark chocolate, with light brown head that settles to a thin lace head rather quickly. Nice lacing.

Brew smells of roasted malts, chocolate and coffee.

Brew tastes of chocolate; malty and the right presence of coffee. The brew is dry rather then sweet - which is excellent. A great balance here. This brew is much lighter on the palate then I expected. Has a nice smooth mouthfeel. Very tasty brew. The brew has a nice warming effect as well yet does not have the taste of alcohol.

This brew is where its at for stout's. I have heard rave things about this beer, and it absolutely is warranted. One of the best styles of stout out there, and one of the best takes on the style. And absoulte must try for any beer lover. Oh and you can drink boat loads of this stuff.

magine, Sep 27, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

What a wonderful marriage of smells and flavors. Pours a deepest black with a thin, creamy mocha-colored head. The aroma is definitely coffee-centered, but the flavor brings a lot more to the table. In addition to the roasted and bitter coffee flavor, a wonderfully subtle malt sweetness and the earthiness of the oatmeal brings a terrific balance. The overall experience is still very much like a blend of a good dry stout with some fresh brewed java, but with the combination being better than the sum of the parts. I often drink my coffee black, so by comparison FBS goes down surprisingly smooth. I find it to be not nearly as heavy as it looks or as its stats would indicate, and it is dangerously drinkable. Meets and exceeds expectations.

devilben02, Sep 26, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Served from bottle:

A: Dark as night, very maltlike - small amount of head and carbonation noticeable

S: Smell is amazing - coffee and chocolate notes immediately hit the nostrils; rich smell.

T: Full taste - rich coffee and chocolate with a charred taste on the finish. One of the best beers I've ever tasted. Slight bitterness compliments the coffee and the sweetness of the chocolate perfectly.

M: A little harsh on the finish maybe, but still feels good in the mouth. For how heavy this beer is it isn't to harsh overall.

D: Not overly drinkable, just because of how heavy it is; however, for the style it is not overly filling.

Great beer, one of my favorites that I've ever had.

jt31914, Sep 26, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

2009 bottled release, 12 oz.

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a thick, beautiful opaque black color. You could hear the "glug" coming from the bottle into the glass, which forms a pillowy brown head that sits nicely atop the glass before slowly vanishing into a thin cap. If the glass is swirled with some generous vigor, the head will reemerge. Lacing is out of this world. The foam is gripped to the glass and remains to stick even after some swirling. I'm amazed at how delicious it is, just by looks alone. The smell is incredibly full of roasted coffee. Smells exactly like a cup of some French-pressed coffee I had this morning - so delicious. Underneath all the coffee, there are roasted malts and bittersweet chocolate. The oatmeal is not as pronounced as the others, but deep whiffs help identify it.

The taste is exactly like drinking a cup of black coffee. Roasted qualities throughout the flavor profile. Bittersweet dark chocolate then enters along with the roasted and toasted malts, as well as cooked oatmeal. A bit of the alcohol is evident, but not overpowering at all. The aftertaste is a bit bitter, probably from the roasted coffee beans. It is like that burnt coffee-type bitterness that lingers, not so much hop bitterness. This stout is - nonetheless - heavenly and mouthwatering. Founders really has a gem in this recipe. It's a total package: complex and gratifying in all aspects.

The mouthfeel is full-bodied, as it's very rich and thick in the mouth. The chewiness from the oatmeal is always a plus for me. The drinkability is a definite 5. I love my coffee and my beer. This pairing is a match made in heaven for me. I've got to get some more of this delectable brew for the winter and possibly set some off for aging. This breakfast stout has made its way as one of my favorite imperial stouts. For such a highly ranked beer, it's definitely worth all its hype. I had high expectations and it graciously satisfied all of them.

infi, Sep 25, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4%

Based on all the BA praise, I had high expectations for this beer. It lived up to them.

Had it poured into a snifter-like glass. pitch black, 2 fingers of chocolate whipped cream head.

The aroma was of pipe tobacco, dark roast coffee and a touch of chocolate.

The taste was surprising, I expected a sweet bomb. It is actually very dry, a rush of dark roast coffee and bitter chocolate up front mellowing into an rich oatmeal finish. The flavors are well blended, no drastic changes, all smooth transitions.

The mouthfeel is thick and rich; a stout smoothie.

This is a beer you could sip for hours. The abv is moderate, and and not intrusive, it's not too sweet, not too bitter just a very smooth, flavorful experience.

diechipmunk, Sep 25, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz short bottle, 09 release, uber fresh

A: inky black with a one finger dark tan head. Now that is what a stout should look like.

S: Smells like a strong coffee, not much else coming through.

T: Ok it smells like coffee and sure tastes like coffee, big ole cup of jet black kona baby! Lots of bitter flavor, but it's a coffee bitter and it is in the right amount to make it good and not overpowering. Not
much of the chocolate coming through, it is hidden in the background.

M: Smooth. Smooth and thick, but the coffee seems to cut this brew enough to give it a rough edge so to speak.

Overall Wow big taste difference between a fresh bottle and a bottle with a year's age on it. Aging brings out the chocolate and mellows the coffee. I like this one fresh but it's better with some age.

earthboundagain, Sep 24, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8%

Had on tap at The Happy Gnome along with Southern Tier's Choklate and Goose Island's Night Stalker, FBS being a clear cut above the rest...

A- A jaw dropping jet black... not sure if you can get too much more beautiful that this... Wonderful one finger head that left a fantastic lace throughout the traditional tulip glass that it was served in.

S- Coffee, Chocolate, Booze. Three wonderful things in one glass.

T- This was actually my third FBS, and each time I have had this I am in awe of how wonderfully balanced, yet thoroughly complex this beer is... The Coffee and Chocolate as well as the somewhat pronounced feel of hops is combined in such a way that is simply orgasmic...

M- Full bodied is an understatement... You practically chew this beer...

D- The thing that astounds me maybe the most is the drinkability of this beer. Granted at 8% it isn't exactly the hardest hitter as Imperial Stouts go, but I could honestly drink this again and again and again...

One of the, if not the, best beers I have ever had... AMAZING

will4240, Sep 24, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -26.3%

'09 release. 12oz stubby bottle (now with pry off caps!). Served in my Founders Black Party Pint glass. Seemed fitting...

A: Pours a Blacker than Black. Virtually no head. Some minimal lacing which leaves a clear film.

S: Strong roasted coffee. Lying underneath is some chocolate coco crispies. Not overly complex. If you like pungent coffee, this ones for you.

T: Just like it smells, HEAVY roasted coffee mixed with some smooth, dark chocolate. Rounding things out are some earthy hops, and roasted malts. The finish is strongly dominated by bitter coffee and a little bit of alcohol.

M: Medium bodied. Feels both heavy and light at points. Somewhat creamy and smooth, probably due to the Oatmeal. Despite the lack of head, carbonation is very solid and works with the style.

D: At 8.3%, you could probably knock back a few of these if you so desired. However, one 12oz is more than enough for me. The bitterness from the coffee is quite powerful, as that's all I can taste in my mouth now. Ugh...

I've always found Founders Breakfast Stout to be ho-hum, and never understood all the love for this brew. I've had much better coffee stouts that I feel deliver a much more satisfying and balanced experience. But then again what do I know? I seem to be in the minority of the minority on this one...

heliosphann, Sep 24, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

I honestly thought I was pouring motor oil into my glass. Jet black and looking like it has the viscosity of the stuff that runs my car, it's definitely one of the most impressive, if intimidating brews I've ever laid eyes on. Tannish head is minimal and leaves a good amount of lacing. Smell is...just wow. Dark chocolate with a nice backing of coffee and roasted malts. Very rich and full smell.

The hops present themselves right off the bat, giving the first sip a bitter kick to start off. They give way to a different bitterness that somehow manages to find a balance, the coffee taste becoming rather evident after a few moments. Dark chocolate is there as well, bit more subdued than in the smell, but it mixes well with the coffee to give the brew a great flavoring that isn't too sweet, but just right. The maltiness from the smell is also there, just enough to provide some roasted flavor. The finish is big and chewy, with a return to bitterness towards the very end that lingers into the aftertaste for quite some time. The stout is full-bodied and a bit on the heavy side, with the medium amount of carbonation allowing the creamy feel to come through while also spreading the flavor around.

Drinkability is only slightly impaired by the 8.3% ABV, you can't really taste it, but it's there. Owing to it's fullness and big body, you probably won't get through more than one in a sitting, but if you want to, more power to you. This is defiintely one of the best stouts I've ever had it's certainly deserving of all the accolades bestowed upon it. Get your hands on it if you can.

r0nyn, Sep 23, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to stubone for sending me this beer in a recent trade.

A: I poured this into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass and was struck by the absolute black, viscous nature of this beer. It has a thin layer of mocha foam on top.

S: A huge wave of coffee aroma hit me right in the face, followed by bitter chocolate. A lot of roasted malt character comes through on subsequent sniffs, but I do not get much, if any oat.

T: Just like the aroma, the taste is absolutely full of coffee. The chocolate and roast malt come through in force in the middle of the palate, and then the coffee comes back and lingers on the finish. The finish, besides being full of coffee flavor, also gives an excellent bitterness, probably from the coffee and chocolate.

M: As I said in the appearance portion, this beer is very viscous. Despite the thickness, it is very smooth and goes down quite easily. The carbonation is low, but that's to be expected.

D: I was expecting this to be a really tough to take down. While it is filling, it is such a complex and delicious beer I just couldn't help but drink this and finish wanting more.

womencantsail, Sep 22, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance and Smell-It poured a nice thick black with just the slightest bit of a brown tone to it. Head was small but a great creamy tan one which left some serious lacing before disipating. Smell was very roasty, could smell sweet dark chocolate in there which really drew me in. Coffee took a bit of backseat to that one but was definitely present. Smell really came out as it warmed a bit, could tell this was going to be a sweet one.

Taste and Mouthfeel-Taste was even better than the smell somehow. The expected chocolate was wonderful. Smelled of dark chocolate and came through a nice sweet milk chocolate like flavor which trumped the even the very roasty initial malt scent. Coffee was very present in the nice feint hoppy finish which really balanced this thing to a level of greatness. Creamy sweet feel to this brew was really superb.

Drinkabilty:This was a great brew. Very little ABV present until the last warming sip. A very sweet, extremely chewy, and unique stout. I could enjoy one of these anytime very easily.

blackenmn, Sep 22, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Wow, this beer just out Guinnessed Guinness. Not only were their falling bubbles in the head, there were lines of them. The black black bottom layer, the layer of bubbly head mixed with some more beer, and a layer of just liquidy foam, all racing for the bottom, defying the rules of physics. This beer is an obsidian black, no light comes through, not even from a maglight at point blank range. The head is dark tan and creamy, leaving a great lace as it goes down.

S: For all the mention of coffee, this beer doesn't have that much of a coffee smell, more just roasted malt, including maybe some black patent and unmalted barley? It smells great, but that coffee just isn't coming through. More chocolate, and I don't smell anything resembling oatmeal. It's a pretty standard smelling beer, powerful, but not too creative. About halfway down the bowl of my Sam Adams Perfect pint glass, I just got nailed with the coffee. As it warms up, I get more of it. Much more, I need to finish before it overwhelms.

T: Hmm, I get some try roastiness but also some sweet maltiness. And here is the coffee, but still not as strong as I first expected, but more in line with what I was expecting after the smell. Its a very clean bitter, though the more I drink the more it lingers. It almost has a little sourness to it as well. As it warms, the bitter coffee becomes MUCH more evident, though I'm just not sure I'm diggin the mesh of coffee and malt. And there aren't hops, which there shouldn't be.

M: Thin, too thin. And maybe a hair too much carbonation. But all in all ok.

D: Not for me, but for a coffee lover, it's heaven

mdwalsh, Sep 22, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

I tried this brew over a hearty burger at a local East Lansing bar, Crunchy's

Appearance: Dark, nearly completely black in color, with a small, steadfast head

Smell: Light smell of coffee and nutty undertones. Not pungent at all, welcoming

Taste: Coffee-like flavor thats very pronounced, with not so subtle hints of nuts, just as the smell warns. Maybe some carmel/chocolate-esque tastes? Rich, but not overly rich. Higher alcohol content, but wouldn't know it.

Mouthfeel: thicker, smooth and easy going down. Feels a bit like milk (but in no way is that to be what one thinks of during this incredible beer!)

Drinkability: Definitely a food beer, accompanied my burger quite well. Not an easy beer to have multiple glasses of, quite filling. Also, quite a higher alcohol content.

mikeal1917, Sep 21, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Mini-tasting of greatness with atremains tonight, this and Sculpin = mouth orgasm. This is probably the fourth or fifth time I have had this baby, finally get the chance to review it. This is probably the way a stout should look, pitch black with a dark TAN two finger head that retains like a swimming pool evaporates, it sticks around for a while. This also has the thickest lacing I have ever seen, I love it, my glass is pretty much tan now instead of clear, the lacing also sticks of the glass about 1mm into the glass, crazy. Stouts should aim for this look. Smell is great here but it's probably the weakest part of the beer, somehow. It is mostly coffee and roasted malts, the chocolate doesn't really shine through for me and I would want it to more. Taste is absolutely orgasmic. You get lots of coffee, lots of oatmeal sweetness, some dark bitter chocolate and roasted malts also, there is some hoppiness in the end of the taste also, a great balance of many tastes that I love. I just picked up on a milky/vanilla flavor in the end of the taste. The mouthfeel is great for the style and this beer, it is thick like oil, has great carbonation, no real alcohol presence at all and leaves a great bitter coffee aftertaste on the tongue, another five. Drinkability is perfect for me also, the taste is enough for me to drink those one many times in the future, I don't think I would get sick of the flavors after one or two of these (would never session this one anyways), the price is fine for the amazing quality of this one, I will definitely buy this one again, thank you Founders.

cbutova, Sep 20, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Pitch black, yet somehow you can still see some of the carbonation bubbles. Wondrous mocha head, 2 fingers. Deceptively volatile, good retention. The lacing is intense on this one. Sticks to the glass like syrup, enticing to watch it slowly slide down the glass back into the brew. Pure coffee bean, chocolate in the nose. Huge coffee bitterness mellowed by a great balance of dark chocolate and oatmeal. The coffee taste on this one is great, compares the intensity of speedway or peche. Very well balanced flavors here. Very creamy on the tongue, full bodied and a nice heavy coat with the finish. The carbonation lays low here, and the alcohol is masked quite well. This is very drinkable for what it is. Coffee hates beware, coffee loves, what are you waiting for?! Well balanced and refreshing, good to finally review this one, and with a fresh release as well.

atremains, Sep 20, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

I poured into a pint glass to a small brown head. It is black in color. It smells like a cup of black coffee. There is some chocolate to round it out. Intense coffee taste. A little more than I was expecting, but I guess that is why it is rated so high, for the intense flavors. I prefer a little more subtle flavor. I love the smell.

buschbeer, Sep 19, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

On tap into a large snifter at Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont Circle, Washington, DC.

A: Brown-black with a one finger dark tan head. A picture-perfect Stout.

S: Whoah! Black coffee bitterness abounds. I was expecting a sweeter character. Just my expectations, so I was wrong. No wonder they call it "breakfast stout", this is cup of black Joe in beer form.

T: Stout it is! This beer is big in every way. The aromas carry over to the flavors. I'm not a coffee drinker (however I do like coffee ice cream), so I think I was wishing this had the coffee flavor but with a sweeter malt bill. Coffee bitterness for sure. Great after dinner coffee right here in beer form. Coffee and dessert all in one. I liked it more an more as I slowly drank through the whole glass.

M: Smooth. Bit of a creamy texture, but not overly. The coffee sort of cuts through the creaminess. Nice.

Overall: No doubt; a world class Stout. Not my first choice simply due to the abundance of coffee and more coffee. I prefer a Milk/Sweet Stout, I guess. Got to give this one props, though. And I will have it again.

Recommended.

RobH, Sep 19, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle received in a trade from Kryptic. Thanks for a crack at this one. Mike! Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

This one is inky black. And I mean black. Only the tiniest ruby hues show when held to the light. The thickness is almost menacing.

Smells are all coffee grounds up front. Fresh and nutty. Not overpowering. Chocolate pushes through as it warms. Muy excelente.

Tastes like coffee up front. Bitter and black. As it warms the coffee takes a side seat to the dark chocolate flavors. The coffee kicks in at the finish with a pleasing bitter roastiness.

Breakfast Stout is thick on the palate with low carbonation, and it really helps the experience. The smoothness allows the flavors to coat the palate for an utterly pleasing experience.

Drinkability is extremely high given the ABV. Wish I could pick one of these up before an early workday...without losing my job.

Nice work, Founders.

McDiddyPop, Sep 19, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wow, here we go!

A: looks like melted chocolate with a frothy brown head. Looks extremely enticing.

S: Heavenly. Chocolate and coffee and happiness are overwhelming. in a good way though

T: Bitter chocolate and coffee, but not too bitter. Unlike a lot of beers this is bitter from the start and becomes sweeter as the flavors develop. Flavors linger for a while. This is a sipper.

M: Think and creamy. Stays on the palate for a while. Very full-bodied and heavy.

D: Hides the alcohol fairly well but is definitely not a session beer. I look forward to drinking the rest of the sixpack.

ansurdu, Sep 19, 2009