Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,266
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros

Everything about this Founders is incredible. Poured the 12oz bottle into a Sprecher snifter. Thick dirty black with a pretty rising tan head. Heavy aromas of chocolate, mocha, coffee, roast, vanilla...awesome. Full body with low carbonation makes this an awesome dessert beer.

TheDTrain, Nov 18, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A- Beautiful black without a hint of light through a 100 watt bulb. One finger of burnt mocha head leaving a nice ladder down the glass.

S- Nose is not very big but smells of roasted malts, coffee, and rich mocha chocolate. Could be a bit more potent.

T & M- Huge as hell and extremely viscous! Very little carbonation. Creamy roasted chocolate malts go down silky smooth with rich oats on the back end--reminiscent of a big chocolate oat cookie. Thick, silky milk chocolate almost completely masks the 8.3% abv, which is now starting to come out now as the beers warms to room temperature.

D- Incredible. I could drink another of these almost too easily. I would love to try it next to a bowl of maple oats one morning.

coronajm, Nov 18, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

I have had this one before a while ago and am finally getting around to reviewing a bottle. This one pours jet black. At first there is virtually no head. Towards the end of the pour a two finger head cascades upward and settles upon the surface; mocha colored and viscous looking. Decent amount of sticky lacing remains as the level lowers.
The nose on this beast is dominated by strong, dark roasted coffee and chocolate and malts. Simple in many ways, but greatness nonetheless.
Taste is bitter dark roast coffee, baker's chocolate and fine maltyness and a bitterness that seems like it could be contributed to hops. All these flavors are exasperated as the beer warms up. A lot of chocolate and coffee flavors playing off of one another in this particular beer; the sweet chocolate complimenting the bitter coffee flavors. Prior to this, Terrapins Coffee Oatmeal stout took the cake for the most coffee forward beer. This one wins by a landslide.
Not quite as thick and chewy as I thought this one was going to be but that just helps me drink more. Very drinkable and there is no alcohol to be noted, despite it boasting a near 9%. Nice carbonation as this one seems to just roll over the tongue. This is a truly fantastic offering from Founders, one that I will continue to go out of my way to seek out every year.
Damn near perfection in my opinion.

mjn5036, Nov 18, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: Black is the new black. Nice mocha head, ok initial head, good retention.
Odor: Hands down, the best coffee aroma to come wafting out of a beer that I can remember. Earthy and nutty, fresh out-the-roaster Sumatran, slightly floral with a full, rich malty backing of roast and chocolate.
Consistency: Full bodied, velvety, smooth, oats certainly add an unmistakable slickness. Low carbonation keeps the tongue on it's toes without pushing any buttons.
Taste: Whoa. Perfect. Malt throws roast & chocolate, chocolate and coffee add concurrent layers of sweetness and bitterness. coffee beans burst in mid-palate, complimenting the roasted malt flavors. As if there weren't enough going on, oats add a back-end to the coffee and chocolate, akin to chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. Finish shows all of the above flashing in and out, it's hard to tell with the dizzying array of well-integrated flavors going on in my mouth right now. I might cry my little eyes out. Oh, there's some hop bitterness too, it works in tandem with the roast to balance this beast.

That's all I've got. I love it when beers are perfect.

Walken, Nov 17, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep black color with a large, foamy, black head that dissipates slowly and leaves impressive lacing. Truly a sight...

Smell: Smells strongly of roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate.

Taste: Sharply bitter up front. That recedes into an aggressive sweetness (presumably from the oatmeal) backed by intense coffee, chocolate, molasses, and other flavors. Has a bit of a lingering alcohol bite as well.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy. Nice.

Drinkability: An exceptional stout, perhaps the best I've had. Stouts typically don't appeal to me that much (I like them but I don't LOVE them like many people on this site do) but this one is a real treat. I would be hard to classify this beer as anything other than a dessert. Definitely worth a try and definitely something I'll seek out again.

wahhmaster, Nov 16, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

After drinking Breakfast Stout on tap in a local beer hall and falling in love, I was finally able to get my hands on a case this afternoon. Living in an area that isn't flooded with Founder's Brewing Company is indeed a drawback... but drinking this beer makes it all worth it when I finally get my hands on some.

Pours a thick motor oil black with virtually no head... a very thin copper on top.

This beer drinks smooth and with every sip I taste a new layer, whether the roasted coffee, chocolate, or the grains.

I know BeerAdvocate frowns upon all 5's, but this beer is worth it. If there is a drawback to the Breakfast Stout, it's that I can't easily get my hands on it (only one Distributor in MA). But the wait makes it all the better...

circlenine, Nov 15, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Being that this is my highest rated beer so far I had to try it again when I saw it at the liquor store. I wanted to see if the bottled version was as good as on tap and I'm proud to say that it is.

Deep black, viscous and completely opaque. Beautiful whole wheat colored head forms then disappears fairly quickly leaving minimal lacing.

Gorgeous aromas of coffee, chocolate, roasted almond, piney hops and vanilla flood the nose and intrugue the senses.

The roasted flavor in this brew will not quit. It is a complex and delicate dance of dark chocolate, rich coffee and a roasted nutty flavor which leaves any drinker speechless. The hops are highly assertive too with a spicy pine-like character in perfect balance with the roasted bitterness. Some smooth oatmeal and sweet molasses round out the whole experience. These flavors are so complex and assertive yet get along so well in the same glass. It's like putting ten angry bull dogs in the same pen without hearing so much as a growl.

Full-bodied brew yet not syrupy and no sticky texture. Just a lot of smoothness from the oats. Carbonation is very low which is a slight disappointment.

As for drinkability, if you are able to sit and savor this for longer than 30 minutes, you have a much stronger will power than I do. Each sip adds to the brilliant flavor and just leaves me wanting more.

A truly awesome brew! Well done Founders!

bnes09, Nov 15, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

I've wanted to try this beer for years. Kudos to my wife for buying me several bottles. The beer is an utterly black liquid with a chocolate-milk colored head. Thick, viscous, and dense. Wow, what an aroma. Coffee, oatmeal, roasted grains, hops, barley, booze, and wet earth. Nice, very nice. The taste is similarly intense. Full and rich, with a notable warming. It's bitter and dry, with a slightly slick oat note. Full and heafty mouthfeel. This is a seriously good stout.

Suds, Nov 14, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

The beer is black with a hint of brown, the head is rather small, nearly brown - a warm color. The bubbles are small, little lacing bu good curtains.

The smell is green dried peas, coffee beans and dates.

A distinct sweetness, dark tastes like dates, coffee, chocolate and licorice.

Small carbonation, a big body oily and round.

A really epic beer, very well done, sampled at beer tasting at De Klomp.

rarbring, Nov 13, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bottle into a Founders Brewing Tulip.

A - Very very dark in appearence with a small half finger head that rises and falls quickly. As I drink the beer it leaves lots and lots of lacing all around the glass.

S - Smells of chocolate, coffee and roasted carmely malts. I love the nose on this beer.

T - On my very first swig I get a rush to my tastebuds of delicious chocolate, carmel, sweet notes, followed by lots of coffee. I really enjoyed drinking this whole thing.

M - Mouthfeel is really smooth, like silky delicious chocolate milk. Little bubbles hit the tounge and I really need to go out and buy some more of this.

D - Simply put, this beer goes on my top 10. Rediculously good.

Tifore, Nov 13, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap into a 4oz. sample glass.

A. Arrived with minimal tan head from bar with nice lacing. Very, very dark, even pitch black color.

S. Smells of roasted malts. Not a lot of spices noticed with only a minor coffee aroma that built as the glass warmed and was consumed. The aroma leads you to expect a heavy, dark stout with a good complexity. No aroma of alcohol noted.

T. The taste was initially of dark malts and chocolate malts were dominating. Then the coffee showed through and mellowed the bitterness. The sweetness of this stout is hidden, but balances the profile well. The sweetness, coffee tones, and bitterness will last a while if you sit there and allow them to. Well balanced into the end though.

M. The mouthfeel is heavy and full as expected, but not thick. The promise was delivered exactly as expected.

D. Had I not noted this was an Imperial Stout before consuming it, I likely would not have known. There was no real alcohol tones to this beer because of all the other flavors masking it out. I was led to believe this was a spiced stout more like a Christmas stout, but was happily surprised by the "coffee spicing" noted. I was pleased with this beer and would drink it again if I were in the mood for a stout. I usually prefer IPA's, but was decidedly into the stouts and porters last night.

brewski09, Nov 13, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz bottle into Tulip.

A. Poured slick out of the bottle. 1 finger dark tan colored head. Nice retention. Cloor is pure black. Nice lacing.

S. Smell is a big old Imperial Stout. Coffee, chocolate, dark malt. Some bitterness mixed with sweetness. Smells like you expect an Imperial Stout to smell.

T. Taste is big on the coffee flavors. Chocolate. A little bit of sweet malt flavors balance out the bitter coffee and hop flavors.

M. Very nice creamy mouthfeel. Full bodied. Not super thick, but nice mouthfeel. Has a bit of lingering bitterness and sweetness.

D. Very drinkable Imperial Stout. I would say that I probably prefer KBS to FBS but this is pretty close to the definition of the style in my opinion for a coffee Imperial Stout. Very smooth beer. Not super in your face like other Imperials. Balanced and well rounded is how I describe it. If I was more of a coffee lover, I might rank it a little higher.

siradmiralnelson, Nov 12, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

As black as it gets with a 1½ finger brown/gray head wich fades to a thin, thin lid.

This beer smells of coffee beans, cacao beans, butter, hints of dark dryed fruits, figs and some grains.

It is dry from the roasted malts. A sourness hits you up front, the figs and maybe some raisins i guess. There's also a sweetness from those two. Then it feels like chewing on some coffee beans followed by a chocolate and buttery taste. The balance is excelent, but I can't help but feeling that there's something missing...

The mouthfeel is very nice. It is smooth and gentle with very low carbonation and a thick feel to it. Just what i want in a beer like this. Very good indeed.

niklas0770, Nov 12, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -19.2%

Bottle received in trade. Thanks TheSevenDuffs! Snow is coming down, the temperature has dropped and the wind is up... May as well start sampling the sundry imperial stouts I have acquired over the summer. No date, poured into a large wine glass. Served around 8-10C, let warm through the serving.

A: Pours a viscous black with a nice 1 cm tall mocha head. Descends quickly leaving a thin, non lacing ring around the edge.

S: Very boozy to my nose. Some sweet malt aromas that are dominated by molasses and a touch of coffee. Later a bit of toffee comes through.

T: A thick malt body that is dominated by the bitter edge of the coffee. Not bad, though not up my alley. Some of the molasses plays through, and thankfully none of the booze on the nose. A bit of roasted barley comes in too. Over time, the edge of the coffee mutes itself and allows some of the other flavours to play through. If this was the beer start to finish we're looking at a 4.5

M: Low carbonation, Finishes cleanly for a heavy beer.

D: Gets better over time. A nice beer, but that coffee is killing it at the start.

kjyost, Nov 11, 2010
4.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Bulls Head Public House, Lititz, PA

A: Looks fantastic. Super dark, with a thin, dense tan head. Great Lacing down the glass.

S: heavily roasted malts, coffee, with a hint of chocolate. Some earthy hop is there as well.

T: Super Rich Coffee flavor that just washes over your pallet. A slight molasses note as well. Follows up with a strong Chocolate Milk flavor that quickly transitions into the alcohol warmth/balancing hop bitterness. This is seriously well balanced and really, really delicious.

M: Really creamy, thick, and chewy., and what all good stouts should be

O: Yeah, I can only have one at a shot, but this is the stuff. Right up there with the Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout's, or St. Peter's Cream Stouts of the world.

Side Note: this stuff is much better on tap than in a bottle.

JWU, Nov 10, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

Got this one in my first trade a while back. Thanks again Steve for popping my cherry! This bottle is from 2009 and poured into a tulip. The pour is pitch black with about three fingers of creamy looking mocha colored head that leaves sticking lacing along the side. The first smell into this one is full of dark fruits right away. Another dive in reveals a ton of chocolate aromas with hints of coarsely ground coffee. The aroma is spot on for this, everything I could want from an imperial stout; coffee, chocolate, dark fruits and good roasted malts. The taste mirrors the aroma perfectly. It starts with dark fruits and undertones of chocolate and coffee finish nicely. Again, everything I could want. The mouthfeel seems a bit light and the abv peers through ever so slightly. However, the drinkability is tough to beat for the style.

Bendurgin, Nov 10, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -41.4%

I'll probably go against the grain on this beer and not give it the a+ rating that a lot have.

A: Did have a great look. Dark, Dark, Dark, with a small tan head.

S: Smelled good of chocolate and coffee.

T: Wasn't that impressed with the taste. The balance was nice and probably deserves a high score for the ABV balance, but just not for me. I'm not sure stouts are my thing.

M: About average for a quality stout.

D: For those who like this kind of brew, this will certainly be up your alley.

mbrown26, Nov 09, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

A - This pours a very very dark brown with a small tan head that fell down to a little ring at the top of the beer. The head also left nice lacing on the glass.

S - The smell has a lot of coffee in it. There are also roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, and toffee. This smells really really good.

T - Up front it is roasty, and then the sweetness of the chocolate comes in. The coffee taste then comes in and dominates the taste. There is a slight bitterness also. This is a really great breakfast stout.

M - The body of this is on the heavier side of medium. The carbonation is nice, and the beer seems to coat the mouth very nicely. It also has a creamy quality to it.

D - I think this is a pretty drinkable beer. It took me a little while to finish the whole bottle, but I never lost interest in it for a second. I could drink these often. Great job Founders. Cheers.

JizackFH, Nov 08, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

I'm convinced Founders does not make a poor beer, ever.

Their Breakfast Stout is simply magic on tap. Yes, I had the pleasure of enjoying this one from the keg.

Color is what it should be; dark, nearly black.

It smells like rich smooth coffee mixed with hints of chocolate.

devinoconnor, Nov 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

09/23/10- Had a 12 oz bottle of this at home. This is one beer I will buy year and year.
A: Black with a VERY thin red hue; there is a nice one-finger dark tan head.
S: Boozey and bourbony with a strong fresh wood characteristic (interesting because I don't think this is aged on wood) and nice mellow espresso, dark chocolate, caramel banana, oats, raisins... nice.
T: Nice roast with mild coffee and sticky dark chocolate covered bananas over lingering cream oats. Caramel milkiness with fresh grapfruit hops. Nice oatmeal stout/hops/alcohol balance.
M: Very creamy, nicely thick with a cleansing at the end.
D: Good.

ne0m00re, Nov 08, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

This beer had a nice dark just about black color with a one finger brownish/mocha-like color head. It was frothy and creamy and had had an exceptional aroma of chocolate, coffee, and possibly molasses? It was highly drinkable and it lived up to its reputation.

Chincino, Nov 08, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz bottle poured into snifter glass

Pours a thick, deep brownish black with a bit of tan hue. A thick dark tan head bubbles up, eventually fading to some spotty film, leaving tracks of lacing on the glass.

Deep, fragrant dark nose with roasted coffee beans, toasted oats, chocolate, and molasses.

Rich beginning with bittersweet chocolate and dark roasted malts. Molasses swirls with fresh coffee flavors, creating a nice mix of sweet and bitter. A light hoppy flair burns through, along with more dark chocolate. Finishes with a singe of bitterness and a faint hint of warm alcohol.

Full body, a little sticky and chewy, plenty of silky smooth feel. So delicious and flavorful, this is absolutely perfect for the fall and winter seasons. The 8.3% is masked incredibly well, making this one of the more drinkable stouts around. Excellent beer.

xnicknj, Nov 07, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

On-tap at the Bulls Head Pub in Lititz.
First encounter with this beast of a stout and it lived up to hype. Served at the proper temperature, with a thick, soapy tan head. Rich aromas of chocolate and roasted barley. First sip revealed a strong oatmeal prescence and lots of dark chocolate and roasted grains. After a few sips, the coffee flavor turned up and suprised me. As it warmed, the earthy flavors from the hops became more prevalent, resulting in the best palate I've ever experienced in a stout. Amazing. My new favorite stout.

JunkYardJake, Nov 07, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a pint glass from 12 oz. bottle

A-opaque black 1/2 inch mocha colored head settles quickly some decent lacing that quickly runs down the side of the glass

S-Roasted coffee with hints of chocolate maybe some caramel

T-mouthful of dark chocolate and coffee full of flavor, delicious, some black licorice in the back of the mouth booze comes through slightly in the finish

M-thick creamy and silky smooth

D-This beer is delicious good after dinner drink or for a fall or winter day. This is an easy sipper

beerbully, Nov 07, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

got this in a trade from jpmclaug, thanks! fresh out of the box.

12oz bottle at about cellar temp. split with friends poured into a pint glass. bottled on 09/03/10.

pours an opaque pitch black with about a one finger of silky, velvety caramel, mocha colored head that settles to a thick furry ring. sporadic lace as well as some nice legs on the sides of the glass.

my intial smell was quite boozy. but as it warms and opens up it reveals tons of oatmeal, dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, bits of dark fruits. all the flavors meld so terrifically.

so silky smooth on the palate. the booze is intergrated with the other flavors much better than the aroma suggests. very rich. thick dark chocolate, bakers chocolate, lots of creamy oatmeal, french roasted coffee, finishes boozy with a bitter chocolate coffee and a tiny bit of dark fruit. here and there bits of hops are evident. absolutly suberb tasting beer.

velvety, creamy, super smooth, light on the tongue at first, then thick and chewy on the palate. low amount of carb. perfect!

boozy and thick, but ill put down as much as i can! too bad i only have 2 bottles.

dogfishandi, Nov 05, 2010