Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros

My first review so bear with me. Got one of the last 4 packs at Green's in Atlanta. 12 oz bottle with a 9-28-11 bottled on date.

A- Pure black. Big head that lowered after a few minutes. Good lacing.

S- I just said "holy shit." It smells like coffee and chocolate. Almost like a porter but way better. I could smell it when it was sitting far away from me.

T- Tastes like a chocolate/coffee milkshake without the ice cream. Delicious. Best beer I've ever tasted so far.

M - Very Creamy

O - Best beer I've ever had besides CBS. It lives up to the hype.

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

OK, I've complained about the FBS shortage (until now) in NC long enough. I guess I better review this one. Case had a packaged date of 11/4/2011. This is only 4 days old!

The only knock on appearance is that I didn't get very much head... just a lingering ring of bubbles around the edge and a thin layer on top. Beer is black as night as befits a beer of this stature.

The aroma is fan-freaking-tastic. I can get a caffeine buzz just from the smell. Kona and Sumatra are two of my favorite varietals of coffee and they really make this beer stand out, even cutting through a mild bit of congestion. Dark chocolate notes hide underneath the coffee, smells like fine cocoa.

Taste lives up to the aroma. Coffee and cocoa merge together like a nice mocha, hops are present enough to give balance and a bit of bite on the tongue, but nothing overwhelming.

The only drawback (and it's slight) is that I'd like just a bit more body to this beer... it's slightly too thin on the tongue. Don't want too much more sweetness, just a slight bit more of that tongue-coating quality great impy stouts can have.

This is right up there in my personal top 5 and fresh is best with this one.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

Appearance is thick black and viscous legs with a thin halo of head. Aroma is that of coffee and cocoa. taste is at first coffee and papers. Warms up to taste like malts and oatmeal the name speaks of. Mouthfeel is oily and thick. Overall it OS a good beer but I wish I could get it straight from the tap or on cask.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 10/14/11
*From notes

Bottle Date: 10/6/11

A: An oil spill in a glass. Dark and brooding - a generous pour yields a dense two finger head. The rentention is impressive, as are the gobs of lacing rimming the glass.

S: Freshly brewed black coffee and melted dark cocoa.

T: Jesus is this fresh: the coffee wrecks immediate havoc on my poor palate. It's like the best damn diner coffee you've ever had, but in beer form. Unsweetened dark chocolate slams across the mid, and the two parts equal an epic whole, as they wash over the finish, hand in hand. This is absolutely fantastic.

M: Liquid chocolate. It coats my mouth, my throat and I'm sure my tummy too.

O: I really can't believe it took me this long to review Founders Breakfast Stout. I've bought cases of this stuff and never once laid down a review? Fail, Rhettroactive.

It goes without saying that this is one of my favorite, easily accessible beers. And having had it both aged and now insanely fresh, I absolutely believe this needs to be consumed ASAP to be enjoyed to it's fullest. Seek this out kiddies, as it'd be a sin not to.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a DFH signature glass. 2011 version

a: Dark thick black. You can tell it has a lot of body. 1 finger head.

s: huge kick of bittersweet chocolate, coffee. Some vanilla in there.

t: Just like the smell and it does not dissapoint. Roasted coffee comes through first and then the bittersweet chocolate.

m: A very thick stout, but at times it is dangerously drinkable. a little dry from the coffee.

I love this beer. It is not as complex as other imperial stouts, but it has great coffee and chocolate flavors.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this at Chappys taproom in Dayton, Ohio. This is one of the best beers I've ever had.

A- dark, black. By the time it arrived there was no head left in the glass. It had nice laceing to the end.

S- on first word you can smell the coffee, however it is not overwhelming.

T- you can taste the coffee, but again, not over powering. The taste was balanced but unmistakably a porter. Malty chocolaty and full.

O- an excellent beer. Most people shy away from porter based on color alone. This is a very balanced yet flavorable beer- I got my fiancee to try this beer and she liked it also.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

A bottle from the 2010 batch I saved for a year to try my hand at cellaring. Poured into a Founder's snifter.

I poured this one aggressively and still didn't get half a finger of head. The little I got was mocha colored, body is deep brown to the point of being almost black. The little bit of head I got left me with nothing but a pencil thin ring.

Smells like coffee, a hint of dark chocolate, raisins and something slightly burnt.

The taste is where this puppy really stands out. It comes on strong with the coffee, then swings into raisin and malt before finishing out slightly dry with a nice dark chocolate flavor. The year of aging it went through really helped stretch and develop the flavor profile. Delicious!

For as dark and complex as this beer is, it has no trouble going down. It's a medium to full bodied brew, but has kept enough carbonation so that it doesn't get bogged down in your mouth. I'm drinking it for a late brunch.

I love this stout. It is one of my all time favorite beers. It has been a go-to brew in suggestions for friends who are interested in trying stouts for the first time. It's flavor profile is hard to compete with, and it is ridiculously smooth for what it is. It's even better on tap in Grand Rapids.

4.39/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very black and thick with a 1/2 finger head and good lace.

Monster great coffee smell, reminds me of my grandmother's percolator in her cabin in upstate new york. Roasted malts with a touch of burnt aromas cap it off.

Taste is a roasty coffee bomb with tons of flavor, complex burnt notes with a little dark semi-sweet baker's chocolate.

Feel is thick and rich, very chocolatey with a bitter finish and a full body.

This one really rocks. I could easily drink this one all the time if it was available year round.

4.56/5  rDev +0.9%

Wow- Breakfast in in a beer. Dark like the nights. Year old beer and was perfect. Can't imagine Fresh. Chocolate and coffee cascading over your mouth. Should be good as a milkshake as well with some ice cream- no joke. Smell was roasted malt and hints of coffee. Only wish it had more head to it but could be that is is so old. Masterful Beer.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured into a pils glss. Just a wonderful offering from Founders! Pours black, with a 1/4" brown head that every world class stout has. Smell was of dark, burnt roasted malt and cocoa...followed by the dark roasted coffee. Taste followed the smell in order of the flavors that hit your tastebuds. Mouthfeel was would you would expect of a stout of this caliber....silky....no...velvetty. Fantastic beer!

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very thick opaque black pour with minimal tan head and lacing.

Smells of bitter chocolate and dark coffee.

Strong dark roasted coffee upfront followed by bitter chocolate, with some dark malts mixed in. The hops aren't really present, but not surprising since this was bottled a year ago.

Smooth mouthfeel with a dry finish.

Overall this is one my favorite beers that is readily available. I must say I prefer a fresh bottle as the hops balance out the massive roastiness. Regardless this is one to savor. Founders Brews some of the BEST STOUT beers.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz bottle

Pours pitch black with a finger of light brown head. Thick, sticky lacing. Aromas of coffee, chocolate and roasted malt. Taste mirrors the nose with huge coffee notes and layers of decadent chocolate. A nice roasted malt backbone asserts itself mid-palate. There's a hint of hoppy bitterness and pepper in the finish which is really nice. The beer is full bodied with a low level of carbonation which lends a creamy quality to it. The quintessential oatmeal stout. One of my all time favorites. Highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A - a beautifully poured beer with a head that sticks. Deep black, ruby hue and rich mocha head.

S - smells of deep roast, coffee, raisin, fig, etc. I didn't expect the standard to be this complex.

T - phenomenal. This could be the best stout ive ever had. Roast, coffee, dark fruit.

O - I will buy this every time I get the chance.

4.61/5  rDev +2%

Bottled 11/5/10, Reviewed 11/3/11

A very thick opaque black pour with minimal tan head and lacing.

Smells of bitter chocolate and dark coffee.

Smooth mouthfeel with a dry finish.

Overall this is one my favorite beers that is readily available. I must say I prefer a fresh bottle as the hops balance out the massive roastiness. Regardless this is one to savor no matter how old it is.

4.44/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Very dark black with beige head, some minor lacing.

S: Cocoa, some espresso, oats smell as well, very complex nose.

T: Sweet chocolate in front, and that coffee taste with some oats and malt as well. The coffee taste is somewhat dark chocolate too. Its a damn good tasting stout.

M: Smooth and creamy, slightly dry finish. Almost no alcohol present.

O: Hats off to Founders, this is only their 2nd beer I've had, simply one of the best stouts I've ever drank.

3.62/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Bottled-on date clearly marked on neck.

Pours a very dark brown/black. A dark tan head never really forms and recedes quickly to a wash. Smell is a *lot* of dark-roasted coffee, with a hint of sweetness. Taste starts off creamy, and like nutty, roasted beans with a dollop of sweeter dark chocolate. But this quickly morphs into a bitter, drying cacao. A *lot* of bittering hops for this one, and they overshadow the roast & chocolate. Finishes intensely dry. Has a fair amount of complexity going for it, but I just did not get the amount of chocolate I was hoping for. Or oats. The heat is noticeable. I can't help but feel let down by this high-rated brew..

3.77/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

8.3 % ABV
60 IBUs

Notes: This would be considered a double oatmeal stout based on the ABV. Traditional oatmeal stout that is recognized by the Brewer's Association and the BJCP often falls between 4 - 6% ABV with a profile of 20 - 40 IBUs. On a technical basis, this beer would suffer from difficult classification as one specific style. In reality it is a double oatmeal stout, but this is not recognized as a formal style by any governing body with enough clout to classify styles that we all use today. Interesting fact.

Bottle: Light coat of sediment on the bottom

Date: Bottled on 10/06/2011

Glass: Small red wine glass with very slight taper

Drank: Drank on 11/02/2011

Appearance: Black in color, completely opaque, a deep rich tan colored head, reminiscent of a long-black (Australian espresso drink) or espresso served in a clear shot glass.

Aroma: Definite coffee nose, reminds me of a really tasty mildly roasted bean. Aroma mellows into a somewhat more chocolate nose after sitting for a few moments.

Taste: Surprisingly bitter taste, smells like a mild roast, tastes like a dark roast coffee. Somewhere inbetween a sweet and dry stout as expected. No alcohol astringency (good thing) with a definitive coffee profile. I was expecting to pick up more on the oatmeal.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thick and smooth at the same time. Medium carbonation. Lingering bitterness isn't terrible, not totally pleasant either.

Overall: My expectations led me to believe this would be a creamier beer. The higher IBU and alcoholic content + presence of bottle sediment lead me to believe this beer would benefit significantly from aging. If I could intuit another brewer's mindset, the 60 IBUs is a preservation technique, not so much a flavor effort. That being said, this beer should begin ripening in approximately 6 months and continue to grow over an indefinite number of months.

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

I owe a big thanks to 2 very awesome traders (Mid & mdfb79)for this because I actually received a bottle from each. Cheers fellas!

Notes from 10-31-11 after a long night of trickin’
*Pour into a 10oz PizzaPort fest sampler nonic.

A: Founders Breakfast Stout pours a super dark cola colored ale with some lighter edges to it. It’s not that viscous in appearance at all or not as viscous as I was expecting I guess. A thin rim of brown sugar foam formed and faded rather quickly. Only some spots of lace.

S: Smells of roasted grains with some earthy oak like aromas. Ground coffee and cocoa powder. Sweet with a chocolate syrup likeness.

T: Tastes of sweet toasted cereals with an almost smoky dry roasted coffee bean flav. Has an earthy hop spice and rich roasted bitter chocolates give a bit of tart. Not a ton of chocolate or coffee. Both are subtle and really well balanced overall. Not overly sweet in any way. Some alcohol flavors but not hot. Rather smooth and quite tasty actually.

M: Thinner than expected mouthfeel that manages to still be somewhat viscous across the palate. Makes for better sessionability IMO. Creamy. Medium body. Good carbonation gives a nice dry crisp finish.

D: Overall a very nice and approachable Stout with some subtle chocolate and coffee character.
Nothing too intense really but quite well balanced and delicious. Would definitely like to receive again.

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from bottle to my Blvd. Smokestack tulip. Bottled 10/14/2011.

A: Pitch black. I mean 8-ball black. Many stouts come close but you can still see some light around the edges of the glass when you hold it up to the light. Not FBS. Cocoa head leaves nice lacing.

S: Roasted, bitter coffee grounds dominate, with rolled oats, a hint of chocolate, and a somewhat acrid vegetable aroma, like that of mashed peas.

T: Bitter coffee, dark chocolate, oatmeal, earthy hops. Definitely gets better as it warms. Exceptionally bold.

M: Viscous but somewhat thin compared to what I expected. A nice, lingering bitterness from the coffee and hops without drying the mouth out.

O: I was a little disappointed, as I bit on the massive hype surrounding FBS and its brethren. I'd love to get my hand on some CBS and see how it compares. I prefer the direction an Imperial Stout like Parabola goes rather than this one.

3.87/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Pitch black. 1/2 finger cocoa colored head.

S: Coffee then chocolate then mild maple.

T: Rich deep bittersweet chocolate with a heavy bitter coffee finish. Tastes like a black cup of joe. Slight alcohol ending.

M: Thin.

O: Over hyped bitter coffee stout. Wouldn't brag about this to anyone unless they asked about this specific style.

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

On tap at Brick Store Pub in Decatur.

A: Great dark, dark brown- almost black- with a caramel head. As I continued to drink it, there was some decent lacing but not a ton.

S: Wow! It smelled like a cup of mocha plus some hops. Normally I prefer something less sweet and malty but the smell was enticing.

T: For someone who isn't huge on stouts/porters, this was a treat. The menu called it "liquid devil's food cake," and they were partially right. Lots of espresso and chocolate flavors with a substantial hop character.

M: Lighter than I expected, which was almost disappointing. I don't know too much in the way of mouthfeel though.

O: A great gateway to stouts. I'll drink more in the future.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

This is an exceptional beer by every stretch of the imagination. I was fortunate enough to have a fairly regular supply so I've been drinking it steadily over the past few months and it impresses me each time I crack open a bottle. It pours black with the most invitingly attractive head that is caramel in color. The head fades quickly, almost too quickly but leaves behind some nice spots.

It smells like a stout should in my opinion. It's hearty, slightly boozy, with delicious roasted coffee, toffee, and malt notes.

The taste backs up the smell. It's so complex and yet so simple in it's presentation. All the flavors that you have on the nose greet you with every sip. There isn't anything buried here and the taste is consistent throughout every sip. It leaves you with a fine coffee finish that lingers until you take another taste. It's almost punishment at this point. You want the experience to last all night but as the glass empties I have regret in knowing my supply is diminishing.

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

The last of my notes from a BA tasting earlier this month.

A Poured a nice black color with a mocha colored head.

S Lots of chocolate, mostly of the dark bakers chocolate variety. Not much coffee which I think was due to the fact that this particular bottle had a bit of age on it.

T The taste follows the nose with lots of chocolate but again not much coffee which seems to have faded. Still pretty good though.

M Very thick and viscous mouth feel.

Overall this one was hard to judge because the coffee had faded away.However it was still an excellent beer which I would love to try fresh.

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a hill farmstead snifter

A - jet black thick body no light getting through this one. nice brown coffee colored head that has good lacing but leaves a bit to be desired in terms of retention.

S - first whiff is like putting your head in a bag of coffee huge roasted coffee notes here. second sniff leads in chocolate and a hint of alcohol.

T - nice little hop bite hits right up front with (again) massive roasted coffee taste and a more pronounced chocolate taste.

M - full bodied with a good booze feel on the back of the tongue. some hop pucker is there as well.

O - this is the real deal. top notch stuff.

4.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Pitch black. Aggressive center pour leads to a half finger mocha colored head that disappears quickly to a thin ring around the glass. Thin spotty lacing.

S: Coffee. First and foremost. Toasted chocolate malts, molasses, brown sugar and maple (ever so subtly).

T: Follows the nose, excellent, complex yet simple flavor. The maple sweetness really stands out along with the coffee bitterness.

M: Low carbonation, smooth feel. Alcohol hidden very well. Not a huge lingering aftertaste.

O: A solid stout. Smooth, well done. Very glad I have two more to drink.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company