Join our email list →

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,606 | Hads: 15,485
4.2/5  rDev -6%

Poured insanely aggressively into my Orval chalice. I literally held the bottle a foot and a half over the glass and just let it fall in. Barely pulled out a half inch head. But I was kinda expecting this. It is a deep, deep brown which looks black except for the little ring of light showing around the edge when held to the light. Bubbles of all different sizes appear on the top of the beer after the head dies down (which it does in 30 seconds or so). Cool looking swirls and patches of bubbles of similar size. Kind of intimidating looking, but inviting when you know what to expect.

Smell is surprisingly un-coffeelike. I had heard all this talk about how coffeeish this beer is, and was expecting more on the nose. All I seem to be detecting is chocolate and licorice. Maybe a hint of cold coffee.

Taste: Ahhhh. Theeere it is. Big, big, big time coffee. Really, this tastes more like coffee than beer. I am getting all kinds of black coffee flavors here. I almost want to pour my standard touch of cream in there. Looking deeper, though, I detect that licorice and chocolate from the nose, more so the former than the latter, and that unmistakable bitter finish of hops. I catch a bit of alcohol as well, that melds well with the oatmeal flavors, chocolate and hops.

Mouthfeel is good for a stout of this size. This is a very smooth beer, and the ever so slight burn of alcohol makes for a nice touch, and a good reminder that this little guy has quite a bit of booze for a breakfast treat. My mouth is coated with velvety deliciousness. Quite chewy.

Drinkability, too, is pretty high, but who would want to session a beer like this? Savor this guy, and make that breakfast into a brunch.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Beer was served in a pint glass from the bottle. It's color is an opaque black with a short brown head. Looked syrupy and viscous as it poured.

Smells strongly of coffee. Also roasted malt, and oats.

Tastes of black coffee and then roasted malt. Some chocolate in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thick and silky smooth. Minimal carbonation. Very good.

4.16/5  rDev -6.9%

Coffee,
chocolate
Coffee and chocolate bitterness
Light alcohol aftertaste
Odd oatmeal aftertaste (same as Ten Fiddy)
Goes down easy
You can sip if you like or drink normally (depends on your mood)
Smooth effervescence
Very little smell...faint alcohol, oatmealiness and chocolate malts

This is a hugely enjoyable beer for me, but in small amounts. Not much of a noes which is concerning.

EDIT: I know that "odd" taste now (after reading some other reviews) - liquorish. I say odd because I'm not terribly fond of liquorish (I hate it on it's own), but I know w/o it the entire flavor profile would change. So although I say odd, I'll have it no other way.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Pours thick black with and leaves about an inch of chocolate brown head that does not last log.

S: Coffee, chocolate and roasted malts are what stands out to me

T: Make sure you let this beer warm up a little to get the most flavor. First taste I get is coffee and then a nice chocolate flavor. Hops are noticeable at the end and provide a nice balance.

M: Full bodied with slight carbonation but smooth.

D: Great stout, one of my favorites at this time.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle poured into goblet.

Appearance: A 1/2" of darker brown, milk-chocolatey colored foam sits on top of this pitch-black, completely see-through brew. The head quickly fades into a very thin lacing.

Aroma: Espresso & bitter chocolate aromas dominate the nose initially. Fainty boozy and malty-sweet aromas are present as well.

Taste: Bitter chocolatiness with a hint of hops. Very complex flavor. Sweeter, coffee-like flavors become more present as the beer warms closer to room temperature. The bitterness lingers on long after you finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy, almost chewy. Viscous, kinda looks like motor oil when you pour and if I had to guess what motor oil feels like if you drink it, it'd be very similar to this although nowhere near as tasty and quite frankly it'd probably be disgusting but I digress... Very light carbonation enhances the creamy quality. Very easy to drink for a beer of this complexity and alcohol level.

This beer is truly wonderful. I recommend it to any stout drinker. So many different aromas and flavors are present... it's a very delightful beer. Go get some NOW!

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: pours a black color with a 1" tan colored head. Some mild lacing paints the glass.

Smell: loads of roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee are easy to detect. Some bitterness comes through too.

Taste: follows the nose as the roasted malt and chocolate malt base are big and meaty. Some soft burnt coffee tones, prunes, and a heart bitterness rounds it out. Alcohol is mildly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp throughout. Medium-heavy in body. Aftertaste is long as the flavors linger on the tongue for a while.

Drinkability: one of the tastier beers in the style made today. Easy to quaff this one.

3.95/5  rDev -11.6%

Aroma - Coffee, chocolate, sweet maltiness and a hint of hops.

Appearance - Dark, dark pour with little carbonation and a thin brown head.

Taste - Bitter hop finish with a coffee flavor that caries the beer across the palate. As a coffee stout this beer fits the bill.

Mouthfeel - Slightly carbonated with a nice medium to heavy mouthfeel.

Drinkability - After the first few sips this beer turned into a decent coffee stout. Not exactly my kind of thing but still enjoyable. Not to sure how many you drink for breakfast.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a stiff one-finger tan head of a viscous black body - it even pours slow like a thick, viscous fluid. A trong malty aroma of roasted, bitter and dark chocolate, coffee and possibly some oak malts. Thsi beer is everything a double stout should be: medium-to-full bodied, smooth and creamy like butter, sweet with chocolate notes and yet has a dry backbite thanks to the roasted and coffee notes. Mixed well and also has some chewiness to it from some bread malt. Even has some minor molasses and/or maple syrup notes as it can get sticky at times. Great finish with a hint of fruity hop bitterness. ABV hidden well and slightly pricks the tongue - beer gets smoother the longer you drink. A meal in a bottle, as they say.

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured this into a pint glass. Looked like oil in the glass, no light passing through. There was somewhat of a head, about a half inch. From the nose, I got burnt toast, roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee. I could really taste the oats and burnt coffee with each sip. When the beer warmed a bit the flavors hit me even harder. The mouthfeel was great, really smooth and creamy. Overall drinkability was damn good. I will definitely be drinking this again.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a pint glass. It looks like oil when poured out of the bottle. Pitch black with a very thin dark brown head that disappears quickly. Minimal lacing.

The smell is coffee, coffee, coffee with toasted malts, oats, hardwoods, chocolate, and maybe some dark fruits. The taste is bitter, which I expected from the toasted burnt coffee, but there is a slight hop bitterness as well. Oats, brown sugar, and dark chocolate are also present. Strong coffee aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thick, slight carbonation.

This is a drinkable stout. Breakfast Stout is the perfect name for this because it tastes like strong burnt coffee, oatmeal, burnt toast, and brown sugar were put in a blender & liquified. Delicious!

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap and poured into a snifter this beer produced a midnight black color with a nice 2 finger espresso colored head. The smell is of dark roasted malts and chocolate. Flavor consists of chocolate and bitter coffee/oats on the follow through. The beer is very thick, filling, creamy and satisfying. I would order this again and again.

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%

Got a bottle of this from a friend of mine. Thanks for the hookup! I recently sampled the KBS so I was curious to see how this would compare. All in all, I think they're both amazing beers. Obviously, the KBS has better fanfare but this one holds it's own

A - Black - darkest beer I have ever seen. The head looked like frothy coffee. If you put this next to motor oil, you would probably get them confused - very dark

S - Coffee, chocolate, oats, hops - very inviting

T - Very complex - every sip seemed to bring some new flavors - tasted alcohol, vanialla, chocolate, oats, hops

M - This is where it gets good - the mouthfeel is extraodinary. That's about all I can say - fantastic.

D - I think this has high drinkability but is definately not one that I could drink very fast.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a pitch black, no light whatsoever. Decent head that disipates quickly, decent lacing. Smells of strong roasted coffee, chocolate, smokiness, tobacco earthiness. Tastes of bittersweet chocolate and coffee up front followed by a pronounced roasty bitterness. Alcohol is noticeable, but not detrimental. Nice moderate carbonation.

A great double stout, very bold flavors. Big roasted flavors without being cloyingly sweet, just how i like my stouts. Fantastic.

3.7/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Pours completely black with a thick-looking dark brown head. The head disappears pretty quickly.

S: Very strong coffee aromas. Roasted malts.

T/M: Malts are really roasted, almost burnt; roasted coffee; bitter chocolate; chewy oatmeal. The mouthfeel is disappointing. It's thin, almost a bit watery. Also not a fan of how bitter this is on the finish. There's just something missing here.

D: A sipper for sure

Overall, I'm clearly against the consensus as I don't think this one lives up to the hype. I appreciate it's well integrated coffee flavors, but the weak mouthfeel (I want an imperial stout to be more intense) and lingering bitterness puts this a notch below most of the highly regarded IS. A solid beer but not one that I'll be seeking out that often

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%

A: poured from a bottle into a stemless wine glass. Came out like black ink and stuck to the glass like tar. Small head is almost as dark.

S: burnt grains, coffee, bitter chocolate

T: surprising amount of sweetness given the dark smells. Still dominated by roasty flavors though. Bitter finish.

M: ultra smooth, leaves a thick coat on the tongue. finish is not too dry, with only the slightest hint of ABV bite.

D: superb for an 8.3%, or for any beer frankly. Weighty, substantial, and utterly worth it.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

a: pours a very nice and very expected oily black color with about a half inch of head that dissapears not too fast but not too slow. When the head is gone there is sticky lacing around the edge of the glass
s: sweet roasted and chocolate malts, oatmeal and hints of alcohol which is surprising given the 8.3% abv
t: sweet roasted chocolate and roasted malts
m: full body beer with lettle carbonation

overall, this is a great brew i loved every drop of it

4.65/5  rDev +4%

This is a big beer and it lives up to the hype surrounding it. Even the artwork on the label is cool.

It pours black, with almost no head. The malty chocolate coffee smell is amazing. You can see why it is called breakfast stout. The taste is malty and bittersweet at the same time. The taste of the beer lingers, even 15 minutes after the last sip I can still taste it.

Overall, an amazing beer and the only thing I think may top it is the fact that the Armsby Abbey has a keg of Kentucky Breakfast Stout waiting to be tapped.

4.74/5  rDev +6%

12 oz. into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Black sludge from the bottle, and is completely opaque in the glass. The huge, healthy, 2 fingered mocha brown crown its sporting is gorgeous! It's very thick & creamy with outstanding retention. As it sinks, it reminds me of whipped root beer float foam. Very appetizing!

A: Damn! The aromatics just burst out like a genie who couldn't wait to be freed! The huge dark chocolate presence is only matched in strength by the coffee. There's also some oatmeal, roasted malts, and a hint of alcohol.

T: This tastes even better than it smells. Bitter-sweet chocolate and roasted malts greet the palate with the warmest of pleasantries, while oatmeal creeps in to perception, but prefers to lend some background flavor rather than stealing the spotlight. The coffee flavors are fantastic! It's sweet like espresso, but also has a slightly bitter edge that pleases. I also get some molasses and wood notes that are blended in as well. Finally, the hops. They're buried deep and stay pretty subtle throughout, but they do contribute some citrusy, slightly herbal notes that add great depth and complexity to what was already a great beer. The alcohol is masked just enough to lend some flavor without crashing the party. This is unbelievably tasty!

M & D: Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but Founders Breakfast Stout is not quite as full as I would have expected. It's still just a notch below being truly full-bodied. But, the velvety smoothness, luxurious richness, and supremely slick texture almost makes up for it. The drinkability is fantastic! It goes down so damn easily, and the everlasting aftertaste just nags you to fill your mouth with its goodness once again.

Notes: This is excellent, and I mean excellent brew! While I do find myself wishing it were a tad fuller and more chewy, it's a minor complaint for such a great beer. I wish to hell that Founders would distribute to SoCal. If they did, I have a feeling I would go broke drinking this all the time. Highly recommended

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

This is perhaps one of the darkest beers I've ever seen. I've never described a beer as "black," but there you go. There is a 1/2 finger of coffee colored head that doesn't last long.

Oh, what a smell. Heavy on the coffee and chocolate, with a little bit of nutty scent in there. Yeah, I can tell by the smell this is going to have strong flavor.

No subtlety here. Dark roast coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and just the right touch of hop bitterness. Liquid dessert.

The mouthfeel is one if the best I've ever had. Viscous, like 10W30 viscous. Rich, creamy, and chewy. The name "breakfast" stout just about sums it up better than I can.

Definitely a sipper. The alcohol is easily detectable and has a slight burn. Also, the richness and thickness makes me take it slow. As delicious as Founder's Breakfast Stout is, unfortunately this is more like a one and done for me. Don't get me wrong, overall this is a superb brew, but in the future this will be one that I go into knowing that it's probably going to be my only beer of the evening... or at least my last.

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Served on tap at The Flying Saucer in Charlotte.

A = Jet black with a finger of dense creamy tan head.

S = Bold coffee and malts with hints of chocolate

T = Great stuff here. An equilibrium of coffee, various nuts, a little chocolate, then with just the right kick of hop in the finish.

M = The greatest trait of this beer. Absolute black velvet on the palate. The creaminess of this beer is phenomenal. Thick and hearty throughout.

D = More like edible. Called breakfast stout for a reason. This beer should be included as part of a well balanced diet.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

The beer looks great. It's thick and black--indicative of the chocolate and coffee it features. Nice head, nice lacing. It looks like breakfast. The only thing preventing me from the perfect 5 is the syrupy pour--looks like it might be too thick.

Smell is great. Great coffee. Great chocolate. Great oatmeal. I'd like to try the coffee they make this with, eat oatmeal with the baby on the bottle label, and bite the chocolate bar from whence this beer came. This beer could be a Yankee Candle.

It tastes great. Everything it promises. I think the coffee makes perhaps the biggest impact, so maybe I question the double chocolate claim relative to everything else, but...who cares? I could drink this with eggs and grits at sunrise, eggs benedict at noon, steak and eggs at supper, you get the picture. Not that eggs would be an oh-so-appropriate food pairing, but this beer is appealing at any time like breakfast. AND it tastes like dessert.

The mouthfeel combines the beer's individual elements, but holding it within my mouth makes me lose that wonderful smell and I get a bit of a burnt roasted malt in the aftertaste that also provides a bit of an alcohol burn. I like it, but it's not as smooth as the beer's other characteristics.

I experience some difficulty rating the drinkability of a stout. Like good coffee, good chocolate, and (to a lesser extent) good oatmeal, you can enjoy them only to a certain extent. Like coffee, I most like the start of this beer. Like chocolate, the middle is so fulfilling. But like oatmeal, the best part is not at the end and the end doesn't really make it memorable and enjoyable like the initial experience.

This beer is great and available enough for folks to keep on hand. I don't think there'll be many claims that it's the best ever, but I don't think there'll be much disagreement about the Founders Breakfast Stout being a genuinely great beer.

4.74/5  rDev +6%

y wife actually deemed this a "destination beer" because it is not available in St. Louis. Thankfully, you can take a short trip across the river into Illinois and pick some up. As the name implies, you could drink it for breakfast. It is almost like a glass of coffee with some chocolate if your coffee was 8.3% ABV. It has more body than a lot of stouts. While you won't sit and drink a lot of these at one sitting, you will want to start off with this truly amazing beer.

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

Edit: Had the 2007 last fall, and just recently the 2008. This is an averaged review between the two.

A- Pours black with a light brown head.

S- Smells of huge roasted coffee. Roasted walnuts and almonds also are quite prevalent. Dark chocolate plays a smaller role but is still there.

T- Lots of coffee. Black coffee, walnuts, almonds, dark chocolate. Lingering dark chocolate/coffee bitterness. Nice. The 2007 featured more chocolate than the 2008.

M- Quite smooth for a coffee stout, thanks to the addition of oatmeal. Full bodied, nothing heavy, but acceptable.

D- Drinkability is nice, but this is an imperial stout remember.

Overall a nice beer, fans of peche mortel will like this; as the two beers are quite similar. I think the 2007 was considerably better, but it was aged about a year and everything came together better than the fresh version. I probably would have given that a score of somewhere between a 4.4, and a 4.5.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had this at Manny Brown's in Newtown PA(mailing address says Langorne)

Anyway pours an black cloudy color with a coffee colored heading thick with some nice to that ass.

Nose is immediate of a ridiculous amount of coffee and very rich chocolate's.A nice big bite of maltiness stays with you throughout. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled.

Taste is just simply awesome very smooth,slick with a great deal of coffee goodness and some caramel,also a slight spicy hoppiness to it.Unlike anything I've ever tasted.

All and All a great beer.Did I say Unlike anything I've ever tasted before in my life. I am glad I bought this.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Interestingly enough before I ever tried this beer I tasted some ice cream a friend of mine had used Founders Breakfast Stout in that he was touting as "stout ice cream". After trying it I told him it didn't taste anything like a stout, it only tasted like coffee ice cream. The other flavors had faded when mixed with so much else, but the coffee flavor stayed strong. After tasting and reviewing this beer I can see why!

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet. This beer pours a dark, dark black that even when backlit with a lamp allows no light to pass though. There are absolutely no highlights in the glass, and this beer is blacker than any other I've had. It requires quite a vigorous pour to achieve a head from this beer, but when one does form it's a beautiful dark brown color (almost like cinnamon), with a soft, pillowy texture. The appearance of this beer definitely signifies to any stout lover that "something delicious is in store for you".

Smell: The nose of this beer hits like a truck, smelling of dark chocolate and, of course, coffee. Perhaps "smell" isn't a strong enough word for the coffee aroma, because there's enough coffee smell in this nose to make even the strongest cups of coffee feel a little self-conscious. Needless to say this is a coffee lovers beer, and I love coffee. I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Taste: This beer starts off very sweet and tasting of chocolate, moves to a strong espresso taste, and finishes with a moderate amount of hop bitterness. Founders claims this beer is only 25 IBU's, but I would have guessed it at much higher. This beer tastes like the lovechild of a strong espresso and a sweet, smooth mocha; and Founders has done an incredible job of drawing every ounce of coffee flavor from those Sumatra and Kona beans.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is big and full-bodied and feels heavenly smooth on the tongue. It's a sign of a great beer when it manages to have such a full body and so many rich flavors and yet remain so incredibly creamy, and Founders Breakfast Stout is definitely in that category.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 8.3% alcohol the bottle claims this beer has, and I could definitely see myself getting into trouble with this one. The flavors, the body, the nose, and the smoothness of this beer combine to make for one incredibly drinkable stout.

Notes: At the time of my review this beer is sitting at number sixteen on the Best of BA list (it's been moving back and forth between fifteen and sixteen for a few weeks now) and it definitely deserves to be up there. My only complaint is that this is a seasonal release, but God knows I'll be buying even more of it next year than I did this year. A phenomenal beer and a must try for any stout lover and especially any coffee lover!

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company