Follow our progress ...

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,670 | Ratings: 15,866
4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

A- black body with a coffee colored half finger sized head that somewhat sticks to the sides of the glass.

S- fudge, coffee, oats...very rich smelling and unlike other beers of this style.

T- tons coffee upfront with lots of hops in the finish. not as much chocolate as i could smell, but still a very complex and interesting beer. strong coffee aftertaste as well

M- full bodied and thick. pretty smooth

D- i could see myself finishing the 4 pack by myself in record time. a little pricey (14.99), but worth it. check this one out, it lives up to the hype.

3.93/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance - Beautiful deep chocolate color with a milky looking espresso khaki colored head. Looks wonderful.

Smell - Nose is bitter chocolate and coffee acids.

Taste - Abundant dark roasted coffee and some coffee fruit. Inky and hoppy with coffee bitterness intermingling in the finish. Bold, long and complex but not extremely so. Maybe I'm looking for liquorice and tar that I enjoy in other impy stouts.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - Super long finish. Mouthfeel is good while drinkability is limited by coffee acids.

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

Poors like a fine motor oil with a very dark, opaque appearance. A tan head that does not last particularly long.
Aroma of roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Very pleasant.
Taste is a great balance of chocolate malt and dark roasted coffee. The oatmeal taste is subtle, much the way the hops are. The coffee is definitely first, with more subtle flavors to follow.
There is a full body, but on the lighter side of this, which is probably one of the few things I thought could be better.
Overall, this is a great beer. It offers a great taste and hides the alcohol content really well. I could enjoy this by the fire on a cold evening, or pretty much any day.

I did have this another time and had it to compare against many of the best stouts there are. I believe my ranking might be a little lower at round 2 but wow, it is still a great beer.

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no freshness date, into a tall snifter.
Color is black, no light penetration at all. Nice foamy brown head, sits there for a good while. Leaving a ring of retention.
Drapy thick lace with big un-popped bubbles.

Smell is bakers chocolate, coffee, mild sweet cream aroma, smoked oak.

First sip brings in the uber big dark chocolate grain bill. Followed by wisps of smooth carbonation, thick creamy textures. Through the swallow comes a woosh of coffee flavor, followed by a dry bite....mild hops with a good bitter mocha linger.
No alcahol warming at the nose or on the pallette.

I shoulda had this one for breakfast. But after a long day at work and several weeks of starring this one down in the fridge. This one was a must for me to drink now.
I recommend this delicious breakfast at any time of the day.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to warriorsoul for this one! Poured into my pint glass at 55F.

A: Pours a beautiful black-as-night color with a small half inch mocha brown head; The head quickly dissipates to nothing, not even a disc of foam. FBS laces pretty good as well as I drink it.

S: Smells like my normal dark roast from Starbucks in the morning - of course with alcohol added. Strong coffee scent with some caramel added also.

T: Strong coffee flavors, but not much else to it. After the coffee hits you, it kind of leaves you wanting more flavors, but they just never come. I think at 25 IBU this could have used some more hops, but the coffee bitterness is there.

Overall, a pretty good brew, and is basically KBS without the bourbon. Try it if you can.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with just a few brownish highlights passing through. A huge tanish head formed. Excellent head retention that left tons of lacing behind.

Smell is off rich, heavily roasted (not burnt) coffee and bitter chocolate. Slight hoppiness.

Wow. Layers and layers of flavor in this beer. Big and malty. Tons of wonderful coffee notes. The coffee flavors aren't bitter. The bitterness is left up to the chocolate flavors that present in the mid to far palate. Bittering hops present in the far palate.

Mouthfeel is heavy, coating, full, and rich. Wow. The flavor hangs in your mouth for a very long time.

Since the bitterness does not come from the coffee, and the bitterness that exists is well balanced by the malty, sweetness, this is one extremely drinkable beer.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

Picked up a 4-pack at Jungle Jim's near Cincy, OH after watching my brother drink the only bottle he brought with him when visiting. I knew he was a big fan, so thought I should get some while I could.

Appearance: Dark-chocolate brown - nearly black - with a short, chocolate-milk frothy head that held just long enough to take a big whiff. Lacing hangs around very lightly, but definitely present all the way up the glass as I continue to drink.

Smell: Strong at first while the head hung around, but faded to nearly nothing once it was gone. Rich, creamy chocolate-milk smell with notes of caramelly, toasty coffee.

Taste: The bitterness of the coffee beans in this brew is the most pronounced taste of all. It's a little much for me, kind of like chewing on a coffee bean accidentally. As I continue to drink it the dark, bitter chocolate starts to show up a little bit. It's slightly sweet and dry with a little bit of smokiness to the roasted malts - not pronounced like in a smoked stout or porter - just a little hint. Very pronounced roasted flavor and some caramel. Strong alcohol aftertaste. Slows me down a bit, but that's probably a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Fairly clear mouthfeel, and slightly notable sediment throughout. Very light carbonation keeps it from tasting too flat or watery. Goes down very smoothly despite the aforementioned bitterness. It's very much what I expected for the style.

Drinkability: Whew, definitely couldn't do more than one at a time, especially at 8.3%

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint

Appears the darkest chestnut brown known to man. An aggressive pour yielded a small, less than one finger mocha brown cap. Good staying power and very, very light lacing.

Aromas of bittersweet, dark chocolate, flakey oats and fresh ground coffee. Hints of alcohol and dark fruit.

Dominant roast coffee flavors rounded out by bittersweet chocolate and just a touch of oats. A lingering warming and roast coffee flavor hangs on for quite a while. This beer isn't that broad, but damn is it deep. Full, fresh flavors that really pop on your tongue.

Full bodied. Viscous while maintaining a smooth, creamy feel.

Not overly thick and adequately carbonated allow for this guy to go down pretty easy. I am not a coffee drinker and I thoroughly enjoyed this.

I would have to say that this beer lived up to its reputation. One of the better stouts out there for sure.

3.7/5  rDev -17.2%

I don't review based soley on my taste for something. This was a super-hyped brew for which I had high expectations. I tried it, reviewed it and then kept trying it to see if my thoughts might change.
It pours a very thick near black with a full, well retained tan head that laces the entire glass. The aroma is rich coffee. A hint of chocolate but mostly freshly ground coffee beans. The flavor again is mostly coffee. Strong, slightly bitter and even smokey. Chocolate does come through near the end. The oatmeal adds a thickness and sweetens it slightly but doesn't quite balance it. Alcohol is not present even as the beer warms. Not a big deal because this is a very thick brew that is best sipped and enjoyed over time to allow flavors to develop. Some vanilla comes thru as it warms but the predominant aftertaste is a smokey, bitter turkish coffee flavor.
Very smooth and thick in the mouth with low carbonation. Full bodied flavor that clings all the way down. A sipping beer not meant to be consumed quickly or in large quantitities.
I understand why the Kentucky version of this is so highly sought.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottling, 2008 edition.

A thick, black pour resembling motor oil. No head or lacing in appearance.
Very pungent coffee aroma, along with that of sweet, dark roasted malts and a hop note.
Strong roasted coffee flavor backed with bitter cocoa. Roasted malts come through along with a noticable piney hop flavor.
Despite lack of carbonation, it leaves quite a notable mouthfeel with the distinct hop kick (not something I expected in a stout of this magnitude) and a reverbaration from the alcohol content.
Overall a quite drinkable heavy stout; alcohol is masked quite well and the malt & hop characters meld niceley together. A bit heavy on the coffee, but I think that is what they are going for here.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: quite opaque in color with a thin caramel head that quickly dissipates. Some lacing and an overall look of quality that entices.

Smell: Can you say coffee?

Taste: Notes of chocolate are overpowered by a dominant coffee character found in this fresh sample. A good amount of acrid/bitterness as well. Very nice taste and that is saying a lot considering I am not a coffee drinker! No alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel: I was very surprised by how thin the 2008 batch is. I really was expecting this brew to be a bit more hearty. Then again that only adds to the drinkability!

Drinkability: Much easier to drink than other full bodied viscous stout examples. The alcohol has no presence.

Overall this is a great American Stout and will be one of my go to stouts.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a great brew for the fall/winter. Very dark with a little brown head. Smells like over cooked coffee. Tastes very coffee with subtle chocolate undertones. Feels very smooth, not as viscous as I anticipated. Great for sessions or if you're just trying to warm up on a cold day.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Insanely good. Heavy and so rich, like a meal in a bottle.

Poured nicely. It literally resembled motor oil, pitch black in color. That doesn't sound enticing, but in this context it is. A mild charcoaly head remains after the pour.

A roasted scent hits your nose, leaves you knowing what is coming. A deep, rich flavor. Cooked cocoa/chocolate/coffee essence. Incredibly creamy, smooth and satisfying. The roasted taste just lingers on your tongue long after you swallow your sip. Almost like the best cup of iced coffee you ever had.

This is a serious beer. Not sure what I would serve with it. Would probably go well with desert (chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream).

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Sleek glossy black color... No light gets through this one... One fingers worth of cappuccino colored foam off a standard poor... Leaves nice lace on glass... Looks like a stout should...

S - Dark roasted coffee... Roasted grains... Mild chocolate... Very mild hints of toffee...

T - Coffee and grains dominate... Hints of chocolate... A hoppy bitterness is present as well... Some very subtle smoky characteristics on the finish... A minor booziness...

M - Medium to heavy bodied... Incredibly smooth and well balanced... Coats mouth fully... Quite delicate for such a high ABV stout...

D - Complex & enjoyable... Smooth and very drinkable... Loving it... A job well done by Founders...

Bottle / Artwork - Mischevous boy shoveling foot into his moth out of a Founders bowl... Grayish black and white label...

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Founders' breakfast stout really lives up to what one would expect from reading reviews on it, let alone the description from founders. It pours a dark black with a brown, cappucino-colored head. Smells of coffee. Not even just coffee, but moreso espresso. The flavor too, its much moreso a dark espresso flavor than just coffee. With the noticeable chocolate in it, as well, it is very, very reminiscent of chocolate-covered espresso beans. Thats basically exactly what this is.. a beer that is like drinking chocolate-covered espresso beans. Mouthfeel is fairly typical for a stout, though a little on the lighter side, definitely not as heavy as many stouts, which is a plus to me. Drinkability is, I feel, as good as a stout can be. That is, it's something to enjoy at home. Def. not for having while out at a bar or party (to me, at least).

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours shiny, pitch black with a thin, lasting brown head that leaves lines of lacing going down the glass.

The smell is of chocolate and coffee - great selections of each - with some mollasses. There's an underlying earthiness and vague fruitiness.

The taste is of rich, roasted coffee, rich chocolate - bittersweet. Light roast and bitterness balance sweetness. A touch of milk seems to come through as it progresses. Rich and complex with a slight acidic touch.

It has a rich, creamy full-body that is silky smooth.

Rich and complex, yet so drinkable - dangerously so - esp. for abv. Nice way to start or end the day (or both!) Great selection of coffees and chocolates that come out and work with each other well!

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pours black, with a chocolate mousse-like dense, creamy head. I poured a little too aggressively into my goblet, and it almost got away from me. The head was actually hanging over the rim, but it receded and I didn't lose a drop thankfully. The whipped desert looking head has receded somewhat, leaving some lovely lacing.

S: Aroma is full of dark chocolate and good bitter coffee in almost equal portions. It smells very warm and inviting. Something in there reminds me of a cream/milk/sweet stout. Can you smell lactose? I don't know. But that's what it seems like.

T: Bitter chocolate, strong coffee, creamy goodness. Decent hop bitterness, although I'm not able to even get close to identifying the strain. Just enough to somewhat balance this malty brute. Alcohol is a little hot, but not too bad. A bit of cellaring might do wonders here.

M: I would drape myself in velvet, were it socially acceptable. Being that it's not, I will take my velvet in Breakfast Stout form. And that's the mouthfeel, liquid velvet.

D: Drinkability seems high, but I wonder if my palate would get fatigued a little. A lot going on here, and definitely a sipping beer. I could drink a few of these, but I would probably be ready to embrace sweet slumber at that point. Not to mention that it's a seasonal release, so ultimately I would have to say medium to high drinkability I suppose. Cheers.

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance - Poured a Dark Brown almost Black. Short head dissipated quickly leaving no head at all.

Smell - I get a big nose full of roasted coffee and chocolate, but also some hints of Vanilla. When I swirl it and smell it right after, I pick up on more hops.

Taste - The coffee is not overpowering like some other breakfast stouts. It makes is real smooth and light. An alcohol flavor makes a brief appearance but leaves quickly with a warm feeling in the mouth. The aftertaste of roasted coffee lingers in a good way.

Mouthfeel - This beer is solid, not too thick; just the right fullness for a stout.

Drinkability - I could down about two or three of these with no problem. Would be a great complement to a Saturday tailgate before a college football game.

I am blessed to live in Grand Rapids near this fine brewery. It is the halfway point on my commute home. I was pleasantly surprised to see the new batch of Breakfast Stout in the cooler and had to grab a 4 pack to go. I am reviewing the first one so I can relax and enjoy the rest. I am going to the Michigan Irish Music Festival this weekend and I think I'll enjoy the rest in the morning before I go. Thanks to Founders for another fantastic brew!

Temp - 45 degrees
Glassware - Large red wine glass

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a tulip. It pours a dark opaque, motor oil like viscosity. Caramel like head, with nice heavy lacing on the side of the glass.

Intial smell of coffee. Tobacco undertones. Chocolate is subdued, but there. Just the smell alone is enough to get you excited.

Tastes of roasted coffee. Slight tobacco on the back end. Bitter metallic presence, but not that overpowering. Dark bitter chocolate on the sides.

Nice consistent mouthfeel. Not as thick as other stouts, but very clean finish.

I love it better than the kentucky breakfast.

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a tulip. Appearance resembles oil though with a tinge of brown. Poured with vigor, it produced no head. Zero clarity and almost black with tan lacing on top and at edge. Smells of chocolate, coffee beans, and a bit of vanilla. Tastes of roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate with a hint of sweetness followed by a very pleasant bitter. Surprisingly light mouthfeel. Creamy, smooth, and if I didn't know any better I'd say it was NA. Medium body. Nice and bitter but leaves the palate quickly. Highly drinkable and delicious!

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

A- Pours a thick, opaque mahogany. Heads a bit lacking might be because of the viscosity of the beer or just my bad pour still a nice light cocoa color and whats there is dense.

S- Smells like a rich deeply roasted cup of cafe mocha. I can practically taste the coffee beans.

T- Breakfast in a glass. Leads with dark roasted chewy espresso bean flavor with hint a bitter-sweet chocolate and a slightly sweet malt backing.

M- Thick and viscous a bit of a chocolate milk texture.

D- This quite the tasty stout. One of the best Ive tried thus far. It has a lot going on and the name is befitting I could definitely sit back on a fall evening with a few of these.

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

12 ounce poured into a pint.

A - Pours black with a thin khaki head. Settles to a ring around and whispy layer. No real lacing.

S - Roasted malts and coffee.

T - Coffee. Slightly bitter linger.

M - Smooth. Thick. Creamy. Medium carbonation.

D - Yes.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%

It pours a black-hole, Stygian onyx, as featureless as a "2001" monolith. A finger of khaki tan head, fluffy and mousse-ish, sinks to fuzzy surface froth. Berms of lacing curb the inside of the glass.

In order to incorporate all that's there, this aroma demands a laundry list: charred malt, burnt sugar, black coffee, baker's chocolate, soy, crisp esters, dried sloe, black molasses, and alcohol, all in various and varying degrees.

Upon sipping, (and with great anticipation, I might add) roasted malt is dark with heated sugar, singed grain, and dark molasses, all granting an ensuing bitter bite. Rich espresso, sharp and of the earth from whence sprung the beans, melds with unsweetened chocolate. Dark dried fruit, soy, cocoa, and an understated spiciness move into an airy, warm wash of alcohol. Dusky grain is very slightly residually sweet, but esters are quite crisp and join the dark roast character to dry it promptly. The finish is bitter, crisp, dry, and exceptionally clean, which is quite an undertaking considering the flavor's density. It's rich, well-blended, and wonderfully complex, but not inextricably so.

Full bodied, it's thick, full-weight, oozing presence, with a sharp dry glow in the end that leaves the tongue wagging like a happy dog's tail.

The only thing that stops me from actually enjoying this for breakfast is the fact that I'm always in a rush early in the day, and not taking the time to reverentially savor this richly complex and artfully pieced-together brew would be a zymurgical sin. And the ABV be damned, an AM buss just makes this all the more worth experiencing. I'd only had a sample at a fest some months ago, so I had an idea what I was missing. Bliss is knowing I don't have to miss it any more.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

Breakfast Stout just got to NJ!
Single, twelve-ounce bottle just copped from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield...
Pours a jet-black, motor and engine oil dark-black hue with hardly any head and very minimal lacing...
Smell: Bursting with Kona Coffee, Deep, dark chocolate, and rich, roasted malts...
Taste: Flavor strongly resemebled the aroma, literally inundated with strong, assertive nuances of rich, deep, dark, roasted chocolate, dark cocoa powder, espresso, and thick malts...
Creamy, rich, thick mouthfeel
For an 8.3% ABV, this went down very easily without the slightest hint of alcohol...
Excellent stuff...
Highly recommended...

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz to standard pint, pours an oily black opaque - mocha head fades

smells of roasty malts, chocolate, coffee

tastes of chocolate followed by delicious coffee, oats, slight bitterness in the finish, sweet but not overtly, good flavors and balance, very drinkable, yum! - compared to fresh the hops have die down, in a very good way.

mouthfeel is creamy smooth, amazing, coffee lingers in the finish, one of my favorite stouts - mmm

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company