Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Breakfast StoutFounders Breakfast Stout

Wants: 1,675
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,438 | Hads: 14,563
4.55/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

Poured thick opaque black with a minimal dark tan head.

Smells like fresh coffee and molasses

Tastes like very strong coffee and bittersweet chocolate (two of my favorite things in the world) with some roasted malt thrown in for good measure.

Mouthfeel is smooth and full-bodied. Minimal carbonation. The alcohol is completely covered by the the other strong flavors.

Very drinkable in my opinion, but only if you really like cofffee. (477 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

Pouring this one with a lot of anticipation...completely opaque with a shallow dark tan head that fades fairly quickly to an obstinate ring. Evidence of some effervescence struggling unsuccessfully to keep the froth alive. Smells heavily roasted and dark chocolate. Deep silky smooth texture. First past was predominantly a whiff of dark chocolate with a lingering roast coffee chew on the tongue. As it warms slightly, and the aroma is deeper into the glass, the nose and taste are more of the coffee and oats. Almost a bitter cappuccino towards the end; demands your attention all the way.

Sixpoint Bolshoi had a similar coffee 'take-away but not the same flavor and less intensity... to some degree sweeter. Southern Tier Jah-Va is altogether sweeter. All very good in my book. (784 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a bottle into my favorite glass about 3 hours after removing it from the fridge. Nice dark brown head on this black colored beer. Average head retention. Smelled coffee first, then chocolate. No real hop aroma. Really didn't care for the first taste, as I prefer a stout with a little less hop character. However, after a few drinks it began to grow on me. I preferred the taste in my mouth to the taste at the back of my tongue while swallowing, which was when the hops really presented themselves. Medium/full body with moderate carbonation. (555 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Many, many thanks to Tom at Julio's Liquors for this wonderful brew.

As might be expected, this pours like old, viscous, black motor oil. The darkness defines opacity. The full, sticky, dark chocolate head retains quite well, adding the only sense of color in this bewitchingly, black brew.

Heavy sweet, roasted and chocolate malt aromas in the nose with burnt sugar, caramel and molasses. The fresh ground coffee and espresso scents make me genuinely feel like I'm in a fine coffee shop, awaiting a gourmet cup of joe. There are also subtle hints of hops and a suggestion of alcohol in the nose.

The flavor of this fine brew is the very definition of balance. Sweet, roasted malt blends with chocolate, caramel, dark fruit, burnt sugar and molasses. The sweetness is dulled by an earthy, oatmeal presence and then countered by acidic coffee, espresso and a bitter hop finish. The flavor is complex, balanced and oh so smooth. At 8.30% ABV, the alcohol is nowhere to be found. This brew could replace my morning coffee, serve as my afternoon lunch, replace my evening dinner or make for a sublime dessert. The only problem that I see is that I could literally drink this wonderful beverage all day long.

This delightful stout has a thick, creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel with just enough fizz to remind me that I'm drinking a beer and not a wonderful coffee creation.

I've enjoyed quite a few extreme stouts lately, all with massive ABV and flavor profiles. This beer shows that you don't need an overcharged alcohol profile to make an outstanding stout. There is no criticism that I can offer for this superb creation. This is indeed the best double stout that I've tried to date. (1,696 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -34.3%

A- Thin dark mocha head on a black body. Little lacing.
S- Big coffee aroma with hints of oatmeal. Some drier scent too.
T- Big blend of coffee and oatmeal. Has a dry bitterness in it from the malts and hops. In the aftertaste coffee just dominates the flavors. Lacks complexity.
M- Full body with low carbonation.
D- I really wasn't a fan of this. Seems very simple and I really can't see the attraction behind it. Way to much coffee for me also. (451 characters)

Huge thanks to todd1 for shipping some of this down for me!

Pours black, black, black. One of the darkest stouts I've had. Slightly brown around the edges when held to light. Thin, whispy head dissapates quickly.

Aroma is coffee, no doubt. Nice, dark espresso.

Taste is insane. I have a bag of dark chocolate covered espresso beans sitting on my desk, and this beer is without question the liquid version of that. Amazing mouthfeel. Thick and chewy... a perfect match for the bitter dark chocolate flavor of this drink.

The alcohol is completely hidden. Very drinkable. Some beers brewed with coffee overdue it, others, it's barely noticeable. Founders has nailed a perfect balance. A+ Very worthy of the hype. (722 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -25.8%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Tangfoot, no freshness info.

A: Holy motor oil! Super dark and viscous. Looks like a glass of super dark brown ink. No bubbles, no head, even with a generous pour.

S: Roasted coffee beans. And more coffee beans. And-- you get it.

T: Lots of black coffee (see above). Melds right into hops. I'm looking for something in the middle (malt? chocolate?), and I can't find it. I know there's alcohol in here somewhere but I'll be damned if I can taste it.

M: Slippery smooth. Goes down easy, hops linger. The slight bit of carbonation helps.

D: Well, I certainly don't think I can drink this for breakfast... I think if I enjoyed black coffee I would enjoy this more. Alas...a well-made beer, for sure, just not up my alley. (758 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Mastodons met their doom in thinner-looking stuff than this; just a thin layer of tan-ish head crowns the kettle-black brew.

Whoa! Did I just brew coffee? What else? Hmmm…nope, just coffee. Good thing I drink pots of the stuff every morning as this smells just fine by me. OK, slight, and I mean slight, toasted oat in the nose as well.

There are hops?!? OK, there is a whole lot of java with a touch of mustiness and bakers’ chocolate as well but the hops are what caught me off-guard. They work beautifully, however, much in the same context that 3F’s used hops in their amazing Alpha Klaus; an unexpected boost to an already incredibly tasty beer. There IS just a touch too much bitterness on the end that seems to owe more to the baking chocolate taste than the hops.

Mouthfeel is less thick than I would have guessed but still totally satisfying. In fact, most double stouts are so thick that I like to savor one and me done with them. This I could actually see going back to the well for. Note to self; cut back to one pot of coffee per morning and increase consumption of Breakfast Stout.

A BIG thanks to kmpitz2 for the taste. (1,149 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to Murrayswine for this bottle.

Dark and murky brown...just one half of a shade lighter than black to the trained eye ;-p ... with a thin peanut butter colored head.

Aroma is strong on coffee with some bitter chocolate and faint crushed oats.

The flavor is practically a liquid form of the smell. It starts with a wallop of coffee that drags you into some dark bakers chocolate. The oats I picked up in the smell aren't really noticeable in the taste. A sweetness is present, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. I find myself enjoying this and I am not a stout or coffee kind of guy. Impressive.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy . Dry and slightly bitter aftertaste makes me want to take another sip to moisten my mouth once again. The alcohol is hidden very well. I should have no problem finishing this one as I usually can't get through an entire bottle of stout. Maybe I am just developing more a taste for them or maybe this one is just that good. (978 characters)

Reviewed July 3, 2006 entered from notes.

Leaves its 12 oz stubby like sorghum from the syrup jar - thick, dark, and slow. A vigorous pour releases 3 inches of espresso foam colored head layered on top. Antique lace clings to the glass. Rocking the glass back and forth reminds me of one of those plexiglass wave toys one might have on a desk.

Odor of strong fresh Italian roast coffee and baker's chocolate but drier and sharper.

Wonderful flavors chase each other around my mouth and dance on my tongue.

Rich thick mouthfeel - absolutely wonderful! 5,5,5,5,5 (575 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to CRJMellor for this one.

Pours a thick black color, some carbonation, nice little tan fizzy head which leaves quickly, some islands and sticky lacing left behind. The nose is of sweet roasted malts, hops, lots of coffee, some chocolate. The taste is sweet malty, big coffee flavor hits you in the face, slight bitter/dry finish. Medium body, well rounded brew. Very drinkable, true to style ADS, thanks Founders. (424 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to czoch for this bottle. I am unsure of the date it was bottled. The brew pours with a little head and a nose of coffee and chocolate. It has a deep rich coffee and chocolate flavor to match its smell. I did not detect and hops at all in the taste. It is easy to drink and the ABV is not noticed. A great stout from Founders which is not a big surprise.

Cheers. (372 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle pours a viscous black with a very dark tan head. When I give the beer a swirl it coats my glass with a yellowish color that slides back into the rest of the beer slowly.
The aroma is very potent. The first thing I notice is an aroma that is best described as warm coffee grounds with cocoa powder mixed in. Very rich and dark with some lots of roasted malts and some milk chocolate as well.
Incredibley smooth and packed with flavor. The first thing I taste as I sip this beer is some bakers chocolate and lots of coffee. There is an earthy almost grassy type hop character that fades after its initial perception against the big coffee and chocolate flavors. The black coffee flavor that is very prominent fades to a smooth and slightly more sweet taste with a warming trail with a hint of alcohol. This is a hearty and really nice tasting beer.
The mouthfeel is nice full, silky and soft. The carbonation is low to medium and seems to me to lessen a bit as it warms.
The drinkability in this beer is outstanding. Its incredibly tasty, filled with lots of great coffee, chocolate, sweet flavors in addition to being incridebly smooth. The alcohol content is very hidden. Drinking this beer is like drinking a cold cup of black coffee sweetened with milk chocolate and a nice sweet low abv stout. A very nice beer from Founders. (1,348 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle -> goblet
no date

Pours black with a small head that left quickly. Dotted sporadic lacing.

Nose: Rich chocolate milk and coffee grounds. A deep rich scent. Also, some dark fruit scents emerge with time.

Taste: Coffee and dark sweet chocolate, with full roastiness and a semi-dry oatey bitter finish that lingers and lingers. Alcohol is warming but never more than a sidenote with all the big flavors present, totally leaving any indication of the booze in the dust.

Mouth: Thick, sticky and creamy. Leaves the mouth feeling dry and roasted for some time.

Dangerously drinkable especially if you start in the morning as the name suggest! Drink them slowly so the flavors can escape.

note: # 100. (729 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours out completely black with a dark tan head that retains well and leaves excellent lacing. Smell is predominantly of coffee with some light chocolate aromas coming through as well. Taste is of coffee and chocolate as well. Starts out more roasty, then leads to a bit of chocolate in the middle and ends up with a roasty finish. Very smooth on the tongue, full bodied, but not cloying, carbonation is just a bit on the higher side. Drinkability is awesome, I love this beer and will be thoroughly enjoying the rest of them. (526 characters)

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours out of the bottle absolutely black and with the consistancy of old burnt motor oil from a junkyard engine. Wonderful whipped coffee mousse head that recedes to a brown film that resembles the crema (sp?), that lighter brown foam skim, on the top of a perfectly made espresso.

S: Huge nose of roasted coffee, toasted malt, and fresh-baked oatmeal raisin cookies.

T: Big and bold flavors flying all over the place! Roasted coffee, toasted malt, brown sugar, espresso, molassas, oatmeal, bitter chocolate, hops, and burnt stuff.

M: Thick and chewy. This stuff actually pours like Vitamin D chocolate milk so it's silky and creamy like liquid velvet. It completely coats the tongue allowing the finish to linger and develop.

D: Drinkability is off the scale. It's like drinking the best oatmeal stout and the finest espresso while eating a plate of homemade bitter chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies. Alcohol? Shmalcohol. There are so many wonderfully complex flavors and aromas going on here you will totally forget that it's packing 8.3% abv (that's really not that high anymore, is it?). This deserves all of the accolades heaped upon it and then some. Extrordinary! (1,240 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pitch black. Huge fluffy cloud of dark tan head pours two fingers thick and lingers throughout the sample. Fine sticky lacing as well.

S: The smell of roasted coffee intermingled with dark chocolate dominates the nose. A slight smell of earth is followed by the smell of brown sugar oatmeal.

T: Fine roasted coffee beans followed by a bitter baker's chocolate taste. A slight hop tingle on the tongue is followed by caramel malts and the sweet taste of molasses and oats. Finish is clean.

M: Silky Smooth. Very thick and rich. Slight carbination.

D: A fine stout indeed. Well balanced and rock solid in every catagory. In spite of the high alcohol content I could drink this beer all night long! Well worth the wait! Enjoy! (781 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7%

Many thanks for the opportunity to try this beer must go out to hoppymeal and czoch75. Served slightly chilled in a 17-ounce snifter, this coveted beer is a thick obsidian color with a modest but dense and creamy looking light brown head, which settles to a very thin surface pattern and persistent ring. Lovely mocha aromas waft upward from the glass, with the bitter dark-roasted coffee scents swirling deftly with an extremely decadent bitter chocolate syrup bouquet. This melds into an overall aroma that conjures images of wet wood chips that have been soaked in mocha-coffee-infused rum. In a word, outstanding nose. Slightly bitter coffee flavor with some cocoa and walnut-skin character. A bit boozy as well. Some woody aspects emerge in the flavor as well, which is unexpected as I know that this is not a barrel-aged beer. Not as chocolatey in the flavor as expected, either; rather, there is a suitably complex grain taste that dominates the latter half of each sip. Overall, this seems to be primarily designed as a showcase for a skillful use of coffee in a stout. A very silky mouthfeel on this one, but surprisingly light in body, at least for the style, anyway. Not really a problem as this lends an incredible easiness to the drinkability. While not quite the elixir that is Kentucky Breakfast Stout, this is without a doubt an amazing accomplishment in brewing. I'd wish for a bit more chocolate in the flavor, since the label gives priority to chocolate before coffee and oatmeal. Regardless, one of the finest stouts to ever cross my lips and one I will certainly continue to enjoy and seek out. (1,615 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -31.4%

A - Deep black, opaque. Faint ruby highlights are gleaming through. There is a nice big 2inch head on this thing and as I let it sit, it laces nicely.

S - Straight off the bat , it's old coffee grounds. Its not iced coffee, or a frappachino, but old coffee grains. There is a light mixture of some chocolate, in the middle but then turns to deep roasted grains.

T - The aromas transfer over to the taste and make it almost a balanced beer, but not quite. The deep coffee grain is turning to mud, and in turn taking the grains with it. The chocolate is no where to be found in true form but only a perceived notion of its previous existence is left behind. Out of all the reviews I have read, I cant believe no one has picked up the high rubbing alcohol flavor in the back of this beer. Either this needs to age, or this thing is a mess.

M - One of the good things about this beer is the mouth feel. It starts off smooth with the carbonation/bitterness, and then smooths out to a nice creamy mouth feel. The alcohol warms the as it sits, and then warms the throat.

D - I hope this thing needs to age. I really do. Maybe then it will be a true 93/Outstanding beer. But for a rather fresh beer. It's not even close. (1,229 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%

a - pours pitch black and fresh motor oil thick, half-inch deep tan head with retention mostly around the edges, good lacing, exactly what I want to see in a stout

s - big coffee aroma, solid roasted malt presence as well as some dark chocolate notes, alcohol hints there too

t - sweet bitterness up front, big bold coffee flavor dominates, but not in a bad way, supported nicely by bittersweet chocolate and roasted malt, finish is slightly bitter and dry, alcohol is hidden nicely, while coffee is really the star here, it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the flavors at all, very complex

m - very full-bodied and creamy, just enough carbonation for a stout, I agree with previous reviewers that the oatmeal undoubtedly contributes to the amazing mouthfeel, dry finish

d - surprisingly drinkable for a big stout, the alcohol is not overpowering at all and the complex and interesting taste kept me sipping

Breakfast Stout lived up to all the hype for me. Wonderfully complex stout that's surprisingly drinkable. I'm glad I have 12 more bottles of this to enjoy! (1,065 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -2.7%

A - this Founder's offering pours a dark brown/blackish with a thin but dark chocolate head, too dark to notice carbonation

S - smells dark, like superstrength chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal flavors all blended quite naturally, with a prominent roasted characteristic

T - rich oatmeal, very surprising, much more prominent than i would've guessed from the aroma, althought the great chocolate and coffee flavors are present and magnificent, the oatmeal takes a stand

M&D - smooth and velvety, very robust without being syrupy, a great beer an even better stout, it lived up to the hype, i can't wait to try the Kentucky version (636 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Now, I've had this beer before. Granted, it was a long, long time ago, well before I became a BA, so I was less familiar with what a beer can be.

But, it is worth noting that at the time I was really very used to German beers (especially Koelsches) so it is worth remembering that anything beyond weizens, Koelsches, and the occasional ueber-hoppy pilsners that almost-have-too-much-going-on-to-be drank like Grolsch and Warsteiner. Tja, it was a silly time.

But I remember really liking this beer. Really liking this beer a lot. For someone who thought that salvator was too alcoholic and tasted like malt liquor, that is saying a lot!

Because of that memory, this brew is a bit of a letdown. It is the 2005 (so most of us got it in early 2006, it is Dec. 29th, errr, just turned 30th 2005 . . . for those that follow year-to-year changes) and I've got to say that it definately has a strong smell and taste of old coffee. The kind that has been left at the office for far too long.

Too bad, because the chewy oats and bitter, bitter chocolate (the 29 IBUs come from the hops but make no mistake, this drinks like an 80 IBU beer because of the bitter chocolate. Lots of good roasted flavours, mixing with creamy, chewy, oaty goodness, and some solid chocolate tastes. The old coffee is just too much though. Upon further drinking, it isn't so much 'old coffee' so much as it is simply a cold, but very robust coffee. Perhaps a dark, acidic ethopian blend? It kinda reminds me of the really acidic coffee from Brueggers. I might warm up the next bottle to see how that goes.

Still a great brew, don't mean to nitpick here. Good stuff. (1,649 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to BA Kipling for this one. This brew pours an opaque black color. The head is one finger in height, and last longer than all other coffee beers I have had. Lacing is thin. The aroma is simply of coffee grounds which is adaquate, because they are wonderful coffee grounds. The taste is a bit more complex than the aroma. Coffee still dominates, but there is some cocoa powder, and a nice bitterness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very full bodied with strong carbonation. Overall, this is a great beer. (514 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a heavy dark black with a dark deep tan head and some good lacing.

Smell is big and bold with lots of coffee, chocolate, and burnt cereal coming through.

A big blast of coffee and oatmeal hit the tongue first, quickly changing to a silky chocolate and burnt smoky malt with a nice bit of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is full and chewing with a dry lingering finish and a good bit of warmth.

This is a great stout, I wish it was more readily available because I would drink a lot of it. (511 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - pours super dark with very little carbonation and a chocolate chip cookie-colored head

S - warm, dark chocolate

T - rich, dark chocolate--a wonderful palate of bittersweet tastes

M - creamy and full-bodied

D - very easy

this is fantastic. although certainly not a session beer, the alcohol is masked well. still, it's quite a full-tasting beer. in a word--delicious! (385 characters)

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company