Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Breakfast StoutFounders Breakfast Stout

Wants: 1,707
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,477 | Hads: 14,732
4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to EliteDigger for this beauty!

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a complete black tar like liquid with no light coming through. Three fingered dark tan head that slowly dies down to a thin lacing that lasts throughout. Stickiness is really good for this style, holds on extremely well. Smell is a sweet sweet caramel malt with a flakey oat scent in the nose as well. Some bready malt seems to tingle too. Taste is a creamy milky caramel flavored coffee with a perfect amount of sugar. I might just take this one to work in the morning. Mouthfeel is full bodied with mild carbonation, very smooth and sweet, great combination. Drinkability is amazing. This style normally fills me up but I couldn't help but have another one after if I had the chance. Definitely get your hands on this one.

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

This one was aquired in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks, John!

This pours from 12oz bottle a near pitch black with a very small tannish head of foam that dissipated quickly. I took the bottle straight out of the fridge so I'm going to take my time in enjoying this brew.

The smell has some nice roasted malt and I'm also gettting some dark fruit and toffee.

The taste, wow, to start off with, this is a very thick and chewy stout translating to a very nice mouthfeel.
I'm getting lots roasted malt and sweet malt goodness that is followed up by notes of coffee and coffee bitterness but the thing is, although it's so darned loaded with flavours..oh, there's the toffee I noted in the nose and there's some good chocolate *and* hot cocoa presence as well...anyway, I'm equally impressed with how smooth it is to drink and how well the alcohol is hidden. This one has drinkabilty written all over it.

A few more sips in and the flavours haven't diminished one iota but sadly, the amount of liquid in my glass *has* and that makes me sad. This is terrific stuff! And...I'm having it for breakfast; how apropos. The finish for me is both bitter and sweetish and the aftertaste lingers on and on.

Bottom line: I finally got the chance to try this highly touted Double Stout and it did not fail to impress. It's a MUST try for those who don't find it in their local market.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got in a trade with czoch75 - thanks! Since trade not sure of the age but had a notch in the bottom right of label. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Was pitch black in color even when against a light. Had about a finger of dark brown foam that slowly settled into a collar. Good lacing. The aroma was heavy on the coffee but could also detect lots of chocolate and some sour cherry. The taste was really good and I hate coffee so that says alot about how good this one is. Has a nice solid taste from start to finish. Just the right amount of bitterness at the end. The mouthfeel was creamy and solid. Because of my general dislike of coffee, I had to mark down the drinkability since while it's excellent it's not one that I'd reach right away for a second one. Overall, I highly recommend and can see what it is so highly rated. (4, RB-OAY, T, Y)

4.29/5  rDev -4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, ampled alongside the Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Pitch black, with a moderate-sized light brown head, that hangs around much longer than that of the KBS. Moderately strong coffee aroma, with notes of sour cherry and milk chocolate. Flavor is primarily roasted coffee, but it's really smooth around the edges; this doesn't have the bitterness of the KBS. I believe this bottle is a few years old, and has had some time to mellow. Silky smooth and delicious; I wish I could get this beer on a regular basis.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A 12 oz. bottle, one of 4 received from sman262 in trade. Poured to a small tasting glass, consumed June 2007 - from the fall 2006 release.

A: Served pretty warm - approaching 60F(?). Huge creamy/foamy tan head, at least 3-fingers high. Lasted a long time before slowly receding; at one point I scooped some out for a taste. It was frothy like a latte and left behind some very pretty lace. Liquid appeared thick and virtually black.

S: All rich dark chocolate and enormous roasted coffee aroma, bitter yet sweet. Not quite as heavenly as the Kentucky Breakfast Stout (which is about as amazing as can be), but a very fine smelling strong stout.

T: Taste buds beware, this is full of very dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee and a bit of sour astringency that is delicious, tantalizing and tongue-twisting. Notes of fruit, molasses and vanilla keep the sweet/bitter/sour flavors in check, but they really do seem to dance with every sip, every inhale/exhale. A fine, complex & wonderfully flavored (strong) stout.

M: Creamy, carbonated abundantly but not overbearingly. Considerable stickiness on the lips and a little burning bitter/sour-ness left on the tongue. Full body and a little alcohol warmth.

D: Not the type of beer you want to drink alot of, but definitely one you want again. Excellent flavors and aroma, a beauty in most every way. I'm thankful we have a couple more of these to enjoy and highly recommend this beer to anyone fortunate enough to have access to it.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Definitely a top-notch double stout and probably my favorite for now. Basically pitch black forming a creamy tan head when poured vigorously into my glass. A tan ring remained on top throughout and left good lacing. Fresh coffee grounds almost like a black coffee straight from the pot. Some sweetness from chocolate also comes through. I would sit there and sniff on this all day but it's beer for a reason. Though I've had other great tasting double stouts, this one seems to hit the nail on the head. I'm sure I'll run into something that competes in terms of flavor but for now this is the pinnacle. Super dark coffee and a chocolate sweetness again with little to no alcohol to be found. Mouthfeel is close to full and very rich. Quite satisfying all around. Drinkability is exceptional as well. I've had plenty of beers and this is one of my all around favorites.

Thanks to jmp30 for the great trade.

3.87/5  rDev -13.4%

Thanks to todd1 for this one! A inky black colored beer pours very viscous and has a very small head which isn't even a head, but a thin brown layer against the glass.

Smell is deep, with coffee, chocolate and an oilyness, which reminds me of oats or barley. It is kind of boozy and also has some soy sauce in it.

Taste of cold coffee and dark unsweetened chocolate. The coffee and dark malts give the beer a good maltbitterness, much higher than the 25 IBU mentioned here. There is so much going on in the beer that is all best described as "brown and dark" tastes, one time the coffee is very pronounced, the other time there is the sweet malty chocolate. Mouthfeel is a little sticky and aftertaste is maltbitter and a little sweet.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

One of many fresh ’07 bottles thanks to hoppymeal. Pours a deep, dark brown almost black with virtually no head. A thin, light brown/cinnamon head does bubble up, but quickly dissipates leaving a ring that clings to the glass with nice lacing. An aroma of big chocolate malts and dark roasted coffee hits you like a ton of bricks. I’m a coffee lover and this just smells damn good. Balanced, smooth and slightly chewy on the palate with big coffee flavor punching through. A touch of bitterness like a cup of straight black dark roast coffee. Finishes smooth and slightly dry. Next to Peche Mortel, this is one of the best coffee stouts I’ve had. If it had enough caffeine to offset the alcohol, I could drink this for breakfast everyday. Definitely a beer that lives up to its billing and a real flagship beer from one of my favorite brewers.

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%

Sampled on 4-13-07

Pours a very thick and viscous oily black, with a big tan head that tells you that it's serious.

Smell is of used coffee grounds, with notes of licorice and molasses.

Taste is fantastic! Like a good cup of coffee, with a good roasted malt character. Bitter on the finish, like coffee, super smooth with well-covered alcohol.

Mouthfeel is good, thick and creamy, it adds to the coffee flavor.

Drinkability is also good, but it's a big beer.

Overall probably the best coffee beer I've had. Even better with six months on it, I look forward to trying one at a year.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A pitch black color, opaque, with a dark caramel colored head that forms slightly and dissolves away quickly. The scent in a word, DAMN! There is alot coming out when smelling this beer. It starts with a combination of chocolate and coffee fragrances, and it blends itself to a sweet oatmeal scent. The taste is well blended flavor of chocolate, then to coffee, and fianlly to the oatmeal, with slight touch of bitterness at the end. A rich feel, yet very smooth, light syrupy texture at the back, it does have very nice dry finish. Man, this is an excellent stout, an intense aroma, very strong flavor and a wonderful mouthfeel, make this a very drinkable beer.

4.13/5  rDev -7.6%

This beer poured a thick oily black color with a dark tan/brown head – it filled me with anticipation. The aroma was quite coffee like with roasted notes and a hint of chocolate. The taste was bitter and had flavors of toasted coffee and malt. Chocolate was quite noticeable as well. This made for a bold beer with good flavor synthesis. The mouthfeel was thick and chewy – just what one would like from such a delightful brew. This is a very delicious stout – drinkable in that it is quite well balanced, but perhaps a bit intense to drink more than one or two in a sitting.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Leaves less than a one finger espresso-foam-colored head that quickly recedes into only a foam ring at the edge, but it is beautiful while it lasts. There is a little bit of spotty lacing. Body is a deep and rich black. Very nice to behold.

Smell - Coffee, coffee, and oh, did I mention coffee ? Wow, this smells of both brewed coffee, and of espresso, as well as roasted coffee beans. There is also hearty roasted dark malt. Wake up and smell the coffee/beer ?, Wow !

Taste - as indicated by the nose. Bitter, rich espresso competes with hearty, rich roasted dark malt for your tasting pleasure, and the coffee frequently wins. Rich, bitter, and hearty. Ocassionally a taste of spicy alcohol adds it's two cents to the taste buds, but mostly the alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel - full, and very dry.

Drinkability - this is very, very good ale, and quite unique. The high abv holds down sessionability, but like I said, it's quite hearty and delicious. The coffee/espresso thing also makes it ideal for and/or with dessert. Yum, yum ! Enjoy often.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

I served this at cellar temperature into my DFH snifter. It pours jet black with a very thin mocha head that falls quickly. The aroma is all strong coffee and dark chocolate. There is also some sweetness in the background. The taste is really powerful. The coffee just smacks me in the face and brings its friends roasted and dark chocolate to work me over also. The dark chocolate lingers beyond the rest of the flavors and there is some sweetness as well. I expected a bit smoother flavor from the oatmeal, but it wasn't there. This is a good beer but certainly not a session beer.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Pitch black liquid settles into the tulip. The pretty light caramel head is about one finger thick and takes awhile to settle. Given a quick swirl, more head forms and leaves a nice thin layer for the entire drink. Leaves some nice lacing.

S- Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. At first it's a little overwhelming, but upon more drinking and warming of the liquid, more becomes apparent. Chocolate, cinnamon, oatmeal, a great roastiness. A good amount of sweetness. A little less coffee and a little more everything else and this would be a 5.

T- Same as the smell but with a little more emphasis on the roastiness. Same thing- would be a 5 with less coffee. We'll see where this goes with a little more time in the cellar.

M- Velvety smooth and just the right amount of carbonation. A little bit of coffee bitterness at the tip of the tongue. A little bit too thin.

D- Not something that I am going to dream about, but it is very good. I am very curious as to how this will age. I've heard not so well, but I'm sure a few months will only help this.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't already said. Nearing the end of my second 4-pack...If I could get my hands on this beer more often, I would more than likely become an alcoholic and probably make no apologies for it...
Appearance-Dark like midnight during a new moon. It beckons me with a black caress looking like Elvis left his painting and all I'm left with is a frame full of black velvet. A small almost non-existant head but what is there is a dark rich brown that clings to the edges of my glass...
Smell-Dark Chocolate, nuts and an awesome aroma not usually found outside a Starbucks. Dark rich roasted coffee...mmm.... make mine a double shot please...
Taste-Unbelievable. The perfect balance between chocolate, roasted coffee, cream, oatmeal, and a mild alcohol warning lying in wait.
Mouthfeel-Perfect. Thick, rich, and creamy. Perfect carbonation and the feel on my tongue and in my mouth is heaven.
Drinkability-Near perfect. I could drink this for Breakfast...Lunch, Dinner, Bedtime Snack....whenever. If it wasn't for minor details like the 8.5 ABV, this would be a 5 in my book.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

I actually had this for breakfast. Served at cellar temperature, no additional cooling.

Poured a thick toasted brown head under black black black color, good head retention with wild splotches and striations of lace later on.

Coffee dominates the aroma, with roasted nuts, chocolate malt-o-meal, and toffee. Everything has a toasty, roasted vibe.

Awesome flavor. I'm glad I enjoy good coffee, because that seems almost a prerequisite for appreciating this stout. Coffee, yes, but also toasted chocolate, with a delicate sweetness, rich but not overbearing. Also some roasted filbert nuts and chocolate-covered coffee beans. Pleasant toasted (almost-burnt) bread taste in the finish. A lactic sweet creaminess surrounds the other flavors.

Creamy and silky mouthfeel, not as thick and sticky as the flavors would suggest.

An excellent stout. The alcohol is almost undetectable, which also works in its favor if you really want to drink this for breakfast. Completely works as a stand-in for a breakfast shake, yet can hang with the best stouts on any occasion. But tomorrow it's back to the faithful raisin bran and OJ.

[many thanks to msubulldog25 for this ultra-surprise addition in the latest trade package]

3.98/5  rDev -11%

A: Pours out black, thick, and sluggish. I love stouts like that… Comes with a small, dark cocoa colored head. The head dissipates fairly quickly, leaving few clumps on the top and small lacing on the sides.

S: Pure coffee, roasted malts, and chocolate hit the nose first. Light Some slight oatmeal and grassy hops come out as well. Smells yummy.

T: Sure does bring the coffee. Bitter chocolate, some roastiness and some slight oatmeal is there as well. That’s some good coffee..Hops come in the end, leaving a surprising ‘bite’ on my tongue.

M: Full/medium body with a medium to somewhat high level of carbonation- I’m not too sure about this. To me, it would suit the beer a whooole lot better if it were more smooth or ‘heavy.’

D: Easily drinkable, especially if you’re a fan of coffee. While I think it is over hyped (#12 on top 100?!) it is still enjoyable; Best coffee taste in a stout I have had.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours from the bottle thick like sludge, head is tan, and quite faint.

Beer smells like bitter semi sweet chocolate, and dark roasted coffee beans.

Flavors are rich and full. There is a bitter chocolate flavor, and a definite coffee quality. Character is a bit dry, there is some creaminess from the malts, and just a hint of bitterness and crispness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, I was hoping for a bit more thickness, but it's still fine.

Drinkability is quite good. This is a tasty and enjoyable stout. Very drinkable for an 8.30% ABV beer. I personally don't think this quite lives up to the hype, but it is still an excellent and enjoyable brew.

Thank you very much MuenchenerKindl for the bottles!

3.77/5  rDev -15.7%

Thanks to markgugs for this one.

A: Pours dark as night with a small bubbly head. Spotty lacing.

S: Big smell of chocolate, coffee, and oats with a moderate amount of alcohol.

T: Full flavor with a taste largely of flaked oats. Also coffee and chocolate. A bit astringent.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Leaves the mouth feeling bone-dry.

D: A good stout, but for me, this one is far from worthy of the hype it receives. Though the flavor is nice, the mouthfeel and texture make this beer quite difficult to drink.

4.11/5  rDev -8.1%

4pk of this brew acquired in a trade with objectivemonkey

According to the notch on the label, this one was packaged in October, I'm assuming 2006

Smell is of solid coffee and alcohol, this brew smells hot, and that has me a little worried.

Taste brings about different realizations, big coffee and oatmeal notes really spank the taste buds, I love the oatmeal flavor it’s giving off, reminds me of an Imperial Oatmeal Stout. Alcohol is noticeable, scratch that, very noticeable, but keep in mind the dark flavors really balance it. I taste some bitter chocolates, but they are more of an afterthought to the oats, coffee, and alcohol, which really are the dominant forces in this one.

Overall, I really liked this one, and I'm glad I have three more. If you like stouts, whether they're Double, Cream, Coffee, Oatmeal, Imperial, or otherwise, I would bet dollars to donuts that you would like this beer a whole mess of a lot.

I can't wait to see what 1-2 years in the cellar will yield.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to jdoolin for the trade, and I see why this beer has all the hype. The pour is a black color with limited brown hues and limited transparency when held to the light. A darker tan head that did hid to the side of the glass and remained throughout the tasting.

The nose was awesome. Malt aroma’s blended through out with very nice distinct fragrances. Dark chocolate mixes with some oatmeal and rich vanilla bean coffee ester. Some light roasted notes and a slight lactic/milky feel as well. Overall very impressive.

The taste, overall very impressive. A malty flavor that emphasizes the coco chocolate flavor. Has a really nice rich, dark chocolate flavor. The oatmeal comes out more then the nose indicated and blends well for a smooth flavor. The roasted flavor is lighter and has more of an earthy flavor that blends lightly with the hops.

The body is great with a full feel with an easy to drink. There is a little silky feel and no phenolic or alcoholic esters that overpower. The carbonation is a bit high for feel but the nit-picky. Very impressive overall and a must have for every beer lover. Thanks again, jdoolin!

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to CRJMellor for this trade!

Appearance is black/opaque.

Aromas of coffee, sweet oats, bitter and sweetened imported chocolate.
Kaluah, roasted coffee, and vanilla fudge.

Taste is very chocolatey, coffee/chocolate sweetness fades into coffee bitterness. Nice hop bitterness but I think most of the bitterness comes from the deep chocolate roastiness.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy.

I could drink this beer all day (or until I fall asleep).

4.03/5  rDev -9.8%

The first bottle I drank was very heavy on the coffee smell and flavor. The second bottle seemed more oatmeal and chocolate. Anyway, the beer looked the same both times: black with a nice brown head. The mouth-feel was very smooth and the drinkability was pretty good. I liked this one a lot more the second time I drank it. I did enjoy this one more than the Terrapin Wake-N-Bake which is a very good beer itself.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%

Kudos to Derek for getting this gem on draft in Ohio for us.
Poured a dark brown/black with a nice inch of brown head on it. Lacing was apparent on the sides of the glass.
Smell is dark chocolate, malts and to a lesser degree coffee.
Taste is pretty much the same with a touch of alcohol being present. I've been drinking alot of this years bottled version and on draft the coffee is nowhere near the level it is in the bottle.
Mouthfeel is full, heavy, creamy and quite pleasant. Everything I would want in a stout.
My scores would be higher if it had a little more of the coffee characteristics that this beer is known for. But that's being picky. This is an incredible beer that I would drink on draft all day anyday! Very happy I had the chance.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

I've heard big things about this beer and up until now, have been unable to attain it. I saw it as a single in a local store the other day and had to buy it. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer pours and looks like motor oil and has a slim brown-creme colored head. Smell is pretty enjoyable, coffee and chocolate malt being the most prominent. There is quite a bit of coffee in the taste, in fact, mostly coffee. Starts out slightly sweet, but quickly transitions into a strong coffee taste with a slight chocolate lingering and a dry, bitter, coffee finish. A little too much coffee for me. The mouthfeel is full-bodied, chewy and with little carbonation. This beer is reasonably drinkable and in fact, the more I drink it, the less the coffee taste is bothering me. I'm going to bump the taste up to a 4.0. If you like coffee and beer, you'd love Founders Breakfast Stout!

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company