Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from undated (I'm sure it rubbed off) bottle into my Gandhi Bot glass. I do know it's an older bottle, likely from last fall. One of my favorites and I'm surprised I haven't rated it yet.

A: Dark and pretty as ever. With an aggressive pour, a small khaki head forms, but it fades quickly and leaves a very thin halo along the edge of the glass and some very nice lacing.

S: Coffee up front with a good amount of dark, bitter chocolate. Amazing that the coffee has held up as strongly as this, as I remember the chocolate starting to take over last time I had it. Maybe I was wrong...it has happened before.

T: God I love this beer. I'm definitely picking up on more chocolate on the palate than I did in the nose, but the coffee is certainly still there. I have never noticed this before, but there's a bit of a brownie with nuts going on as well. The dark chocolate lasts forever at the back of my tongue.

M: The viscosity of this beer is spot on, but the carbonation is just a bit too high the more I think of it. It doesn't detract from my enjoying the beer that much, but if I'm looking for a flaw, I've found it. Overall, still solid, however.

O: I have one more from this batch that I think I might sit on a bit longer to see what it develops into. I imagine that the coffee will continue to fade, but that all other aspects of the beer will remain strong. I never hesitate to grab a 4-pack of this, and am excited to hear it'll be coming out in 6ers in the near future. I recommend you do the same.

4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

FIRST REVIEW!

A: poured opaque, motor oil black color about 2 fingers of cinnamon-colored head. The foam stayed for a while with lots of lacing and legs.

S: coffee dominates the aroma with slight hints of chocolate, oats, and sweet roasted malts

T: coffee is the first taste with a cappuccino sweetness and slight chocolate bitterness. The malts and oats mellow out the coffee flavors to bring the beer to balance.

M: silky and smooth with a medium body. the alcohol definitely warms a little but isnt present in the flavor. carbonation wasnt noticeable

O: i turned 21 not so long ago and this was the first beer i legally purchased. Awesome, awesome imperial stout! Every time i have one i pick up on a different flavor, im very sad ill have to wait till next winter to have another one!

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from the bottle into a clean tulip glass - this one I wanted to be able to capture the aroma and look of it -

It poured a beautiful black velvet with medium dark head that sat upon the black as sin body. The Aroma of this beer immediately hit my nose and began making me want more. As I drew closer to the glass, getting nearer to the tulip. the most amazing and perfect smell of coffee with hints of dark chocolate arise. Perfectly roasted beans tantalize the nose!

Taste - this is where it all comes together - nice dark and roasted malts hit you first, sliding over the palate where it dances on your tongue where bitter and dark chocolate flavors meet and combine into this fantastic brew.

Mouthfeel - a bit more on the medium to heavy side, the carbonation is perfect for the style.

Overall - this is my favorite stout, I have yet to have a better stout than this one. I always look forward to it's arrival on the shelves and I'm enjoying my last one tonight. What a world-class beer!

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company