Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,208
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros

ercxi, Nov 03, 2012

Grfilwett, Nov 02, 2012

brettski, Nov 02, 2012

Braseltonage, Nov 02, 2012
4.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours like it doesn't have much carbonation but has plenty in the mouth feel. Nice thickness but not overly thick because of the carbonation. Smell is indicative of roasted coffee/barley. Nice roasted flavor smoothed out by a nice sweet smell. Very delicious imperial stout, not too strong at all. The only down side is that it came in a 12 ounce bottle and I've only got one... Can't wait to try some of the other versions! Overall I would say its excellent, a very bright imperial stout with natural coffee flavors.

cfrobrew, Nov 02, 2012

BubblesInMyBeer, Nov 01, 2012

thornn, Nov 01, 2012

sendbeer, Nov 01, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Oh boy. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle acquired at a beer store near my work and served into a New Belgium goblet in me gaff in Los Feliz, California. I had never seen this in the LA area until recently. 8.3% confirmed. Expectations are through the roof; I had Kentucky Breakfast Stout and loved it. I'm hoping this also lives up to the hype. Cost was $6.99 (people on the East Cost are probably cringing).

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm considerably over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

As I poured, no head was forming so I upped the vigor considerably.

A: Pours a beautiful rich dark tan colour head half a finger thick with excellent cream. Retention is abysmal (maybe 20 seconds). Colour is a solid nontransparent jet black. It looks as it should for the style, but I would like to see better retention. It's a minor gripe. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Appears undercarbonated.

Sm: Heavy rich coffee java notes. Heavy coffee bitterness. It really slaps you upside the head. I get minor chocolate, roast, and oatmeal notes - sure. But strong coffee is dominant. An aggressive strong aroma that goes for the jugular. Dark malts. It's very assertive and bold.

No hops are detectable. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

T: Heavy coffee, with some bitterness there at the finish. Chocolate malts and a bit of chocolate alongside dark malts comprises the foundation. I'm a bit surprised actually; it lacks a substantial body. Not a usual characteristic of beers in the style. Oats are there smoothening it through and through. No real cream. No yeast or alcohol comes through. The coffee notes are rich and biting. Hopping is minimal and floral but barely detectable (just as it should be). A light undertone of warm sherry throughout. I imagine this will improve as it warms. Some raisin, even some molasses sure. I don't get any herbal notes as some have reported. A touch viney. No real caramel. No nuts here. It isn't "that kind" of imperial stout. Very delicately balanced and built. They knew what they were doing when they put this treat together. As it warms, I get more true milk chocolate notes (not merely chocolate malt).

Mf: I'm a bit taken aback at the blatant undercarbonation. It's naturally smooth from the oats, nicely wet, and quite chewy. Suits the flavours quite well, and it really evokes a clean breakfast beer - because who really wants carbonation in the morning. I understand the intentionality behind the choice, but that said I still think I'd prefer it creamier, thicker, and even a bit coarser and dryer. I like it as is, though; I'm just identifying personal preference.

Dr: I can definitely see myself having this for breakfast. Boy that'd be good. Very drinkable; I imagine the caffeine zing from the coffee could keep you steadily drinking it for some time. It's not at all in the creamy heavy thick arena of imperial stouts. It's more a sharp coffee imperial stout, and in that it's quite a success. I'm not disappointed with it, but I will say that I remember enjoying KBS far more than this offering. Still, Founders seems to always deliver - at least based on the few beers I've had from them. At $6.99, I wouldn't get this again, but would at $3.99 or better. A must-try for fans of the style; great for the style. It doesn't quite join the ranks of something like Brunch Weasel or Speedway stout in terms of coffee-centric imperial stouts, but it flirts with that level; pretty impressive at this price point. Hides its ABV delightfully well. I'll definitely be having this again, ideally aged or on draught. An understated, elegant beer. Bravo, Founders.

I initially gave it a B+, but changed it up to an A- because as it warmed, it got noticeably better. Give her some time once you pull her out of the fridge. It's worth it.

A-

Bottle from Duff27. Adding some brief notes; served into stemware.

A: Retention is better than the first review - a good 4 minutes. I think the glassware makes a big difference; I poured pretty lightly. Creamy, dark, appealing.

Sm: Strong black coffee. Evident bitterness. Very assertive. Evocative oatmeal too; oats are usually undetectable and contribute mainly to mouthfeel but they're evident here. I like that.

T: Heavy coffee with accompanying bitterness and roast. The coffee here is really genuine; it doesn't shy away from the raw coffee bean character.

Mf: Creamy, chewy, coarse. Perfect dryness.

Dr: A solid brew; lives up to its well earned reputation. Possibly the best value beer of its quality.

A-.

10/09/13 (Fresh FBS):

A: Soft complexion. Even lacing coats glass.

Sm: Sinful coffee w/ roasty, creamy, and espresso notes. Rich and decadent.

No hops/yeast.

Could use more roast. Coffee gets a bit too bitter. Room for more complexity/subtlety.

Above avg depth of flavour. Avg flavour intensity/duration for style.

B+

kojevergas, Nov 01, 2012

tuka, Nov 01, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my KB snifter

A- pours a pitch black color, nearly see through at all. Thick frothy tan head.... turns to s thin ring around the beer. Heavy lacing on the glass

S- heavy pronounced coffee smell. Roasted chocolate malt.... very sweet coffee smell

T- bitter coffee, almost like good cup of hot Greek coffee in the morning... almost a instant morning caffeine rush when swallowed. Bitter sweet chocolate. Smooth all the way down

M- smooth and creamy up front... bitter and lingering coffee flavor in the back

O- very intense coffee oatmeal stout from founders... no wonder this is ranked amongst the best of the best.... I can definitely see myself with some breakfast stout and a plate of pancakes,eggs and bacon to pair up with...

warrenout330, Nov 01, 2012

JerBuz, Nov 01, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Very thick looking when pouring it, couldn't see any light coming through when I held it up. Black in color with a nice mocha colored foamy head also a good amount of carbonation.

S: I get some nice aromas here: dark chocolate, that smell you get when you sniff some south american coffee beans like a citrusy coffee smell, a slight toasted oat smell as well

T: Nice coffee bitterness and taste that blends very well with the toasted oats and some chocolate in the background. I can barely taste the alcohol.

M: I'd say its on the heavier side of medium bodied. It is thick and coats the mouth but it feels light. Very smooth and just a very small hint of bitterness.

O:This beer is great and very much worthy of the rating it gets. It's flavors are very well blended. It has all the great qualities of a stout and none of the negative ones. I barely tasted the alcohol which is dangerous for this beer because it is very tasty. This is definitely a beer to be savored.

Crundy, Oct 31, 2012