Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,510
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 14,108 | Reviews: 3,529

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

For years I was entrenched in European beers like Guinness and Newcastle, until some friends of mine stared introducing me to smaller Midwestern breweries that I started to realise that there was more to beer than what was being imported.

This is one such beer. It's chocolate smell and flavor, mixed with the Sumatra and Kona beans and it's rich and smooth texture makes it a delight to drink. I was amazed at the first sip and couldn't put down my glass until it was empty. This is one beer that most definitely deserves it's "Imperial" stout designation.

If this beer was available to me in the late 80's/early 90's, I would have picked it over the other 2 I was accustomed to drinking. I am adding this to my permanent list of "must drink" beer and would recommend anyone who enjoys an imperial stout to try this one as soon as they can.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance- Jet black color. Thin beige head, looks like frothy chocolate milk bubbles.

Smell- Mocha, coffee, toffee, milk chocolate.

Taste- Milk chocolate and peanuts, tiny bit of alcohol. After taste is a bitter coffee taste with lingering mocha sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Light carbonation. Fills your mouth up with a warm alcohol taste that is gone as fast as it arrived, replaced with smooth and creamy chocolate.

Overall- I was ready to be disappointed given all the hype around this beer. After tasting it I am happy to say that the hype was totally validated. I'm not a big stout drinker, but this is just a terrific beer. It's like chocolate milk for grown men!

4.25/5  rDev -6%

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I won't go into too much depth on this beer because its all been said before. IMO, this is the quintessential easily available Stout on the market today. It pours quickly with very little head, but what is there has a nice coffee color. Huge coffe and chocolate influence in all aspects of this rich, yet easy to drink beer. I love taking a big whiff of it as I toss it back. Dark as night and slick going down. No hint of the high ABV. Not as earthy as it could be, but still so hearty. I can drink one after another and keep going back for more. This one of those highly ranked beers that really delivers everytime. I've spent the last couple of months drinking highly rated stout after stout. And, everytime I always think about how good the Breakfast Stout is in comparison. I wonder how these taste with a little age on it. Can't wait to find out.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my first time trying this beer, I must start by saying that I don't drink too many stouts, let alone coffee stouts. This is actually an extremely drinkable rep of this style. Dark roasted kona is definitely up front in the aroma and taste, I don't really get much chocolate at first, but as this beer warms a litte! Whoa! Huge mocha flavor just turns on and it gets a lot more complex. I do love love the fact that there is not a bitter after taste that most other coffee infused stouts seem to come with. Much thanks to mpayne5 and Nuckbuck for the hook-up! This little gem is making me rethink my whole attitude on coffee stouts for sure. Overall a solid stout, I would highly recommend this to everybody.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

4.88/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Extremely dark brown. Great dark, golden brown head that lasts an acceptable amount of time.

Smell: Strong coffee flavors initially, then chocolate aromas dominate. I would like more oats in the smell, but do notice a slight amount.

Taste: Strong java/coffee flavors. Excellent bitter, dark chocolate finish. Very smooth and desirable for being 8.30% ABV. Lacks any alcoholic taste.

Overall: One of the best beers I have had. I would drink it with any type of meal, or even as a dessert. Very easy to drink and doesn't leave any undesirable aftertaste. Each sip leaves you wanting another.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company