Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,218
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros

eph1291, Oct 05, 2012

hlatimer266, Oct 05, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -6%

Rather than just repeat the A, S, T, M, O details everyone else has provided, I thought I'd just confirm how important the right type of glass is for the beer. I tried this in a snifter first and thought it was pretty good. Then i used a pint glass and thought it was really good. How good? I keep going back to buy more while it's still available. Another fine beer from our friends at Founders.

Beer-A-Lot, Oct 04, 2012

drinkAK, Oct 04, 2012

ajdemma, Oct 04, 2012

ThomasAWilson2, Oct 04, 2012

jagada, Oct 04, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Drinking it out of the bottle so I didn't look at the pour myself. Looking at a picture of the pour, it has a nice chocolate head, which is my favorite thing about any stout

S: One of the best aromas I have ever gotten from a beer. Coffee, chocolate and oatmeal.

T: Very strong taste of coffee. A little bitter, like a black cup of coffee. Slight hints of the chocolate and oatmeal in the smell.

M: It's creamy. Sits in the mouth nicely after a few sips.

Overall: This is a great stout and definitely lives up to the hype. I will say it isn't my favorite oatmeal stout I've had but it's an incredible beer and I will enjoy the remaining three beers in the four-pack.

Roose13, Oct 04, 2012

MarcusHalberstram, Oct 04, 2012

KJFricke, Oct 04, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Super dark. Epic tan colored head.

S: Some coffee notes. Roasty. Some fruit notes in there as well.

T: Tastes like a good light coffee. Some fruit notes, good coffee notes. Alcohol is warming and gives a good sweetness.

M: Sits with a full body. Lots of flavor development. Carbonation is perfect.

Sadly I had a bottle of this rather than on tap but it was still solid. Of course it's better on tap but it's great beet and you should grab it for sure!

For a stout this really shows some unique characteristics. The coffee flavor is light but it has that acidity that really helps to drive it. That's really the key for me here. It brings the acidity from coffee but not the brewed too long coffee notes that are so common in coffee stouts.

Jamesthebrit, Oct 04, 2012

buddha5050, Oct 04, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Believe in the hype. Upon pouring it I noticed it has some thickness, black in color with no visibility, dark tan one finger head, and okay lacing. Smell is of fine dark chocolate and coffee, but it's not as aromatic as I would've thought. Taste is outstanding, you can just taste the quality. Some beers use chocolate and coffee that tastes cheap. I felt like I was having good coffee with Ghirardelli dark chocolate in it. It's more dark and roasted in flavor than sweet. Mouthfeel was perfect considering this is over 8% abv. I have had the experience where beers in this category are so sugary sweet they leave my mouth feeling like I had coke, but not with this. Once again I think the quality of ingredients just pulls everything together. Overall this has to be one of the best beers I've ever had. Liquid awesomeness.

theHoff77, Oct 04, 2012

Sakimurano, Oct 03, 2012

ntatum, Oct 03, 2012

bigchiefa, Oct 03, 2012

Lordkrystic, Oct 03, 2012
4.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Black with a cafe au lait head of about an inch. Smells of rich dark chocolate and coffee. Slightly sweet but tart molasses up front followed by waves of bitter dark chocolate and hints of coffee. Oatmeal comes through on the chewy, full mouth feel. An awesome beer. So much better than the RIS because it isn't nearly as sweet. Too bad the coffee wires me or I would drink this every night.

Gwalchgwynn67, Oct 03, 2012