Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -28.1%

3.75/5  rDev -17%

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have been waiting to try this beer for forever and FINALLY, I have my chance. Pours pitch black with shades of chocolate brown on the edges. the head is thick and creamy, lasting until I took my first sip, then dissipating but not without leaving lots of lacing on the glass.
I heard this beer stresses coffee, and that is perfectly apparent on the nose. Rich, strong coffee/mocha notes are present with the alcohol acting as an after-thought. On the palate, the flavors are rich and creamy with roasted malt, coffee, caramel making the headlines, with cream rounding everything out into a highly drinkable, rich and thick stout. The mouthfeel if smooth, soft and creamy with the alcohol, malts and hops not fighting for dominance. Everything knows its place and acts accordingly.
Overall, this beer was worth the wait. While I haven't had many imperial stouts, this is what I will base everything else off of. It definitely seems that this is the way it should be done and I will taste and respond accordingly.
Keep it up Founders and so glad my beer store finally started to carry it!

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a thick dark black with a minimal brown head.Smells like great coffee, sweet fruits, and some malt. Amazing aroma.Thick mouth feel with small carbonation but not too thick - thins out by the back of the tongue.Tastes just like it smells. Sweet chocolate and coffee dominate, just enough bitterness from the two flavors too. Amazing.So glad that Founders made its way to Buffalo. This beer is outstanding and I look forward to all of their offerings.

3.81/5  rDev -15.7%

This is a good beer. No one can ignore that but I just think I got a dud. I felt that the overall feel was watered down. I'm missing some intensity. I loved the balance of the beer though. I love how straight forward it is with the taste notes of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, but with a lingering caramel toasted oat back drop. As the taste nuances delivery the nose seemed flat as well. I thought the wild blueberry aroma I picked up was very interesting. I could suspect from the coffee.
I like to pour a small amount hard so to achieve foam. It allows a totally complete different experience. It was delicious!

I don't feel it deserves this rating but overall I would by this again and would recommend it. It definitely grows on you! Ill stick with their 'Imperial.'

4.49/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this beer into a pint glass, it has a jet black body and no head to it. The aroam has a hint of chocolate and coffee notes. The taste has a nice roasted malt flavor, with chocolate and coffee. The mouthfeel is so smooth, nice flavor on the tongue and overall a great stout

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company