Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,036
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
zimm421

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap in an 8 oz snifter on 10/21/11. Reviewing from notes.

Appears a dark, thick black color with a nice tan head that leaves good lacing. Decent staying power on the head, but doesn't stick around forever. More can easily be stirred up with a slight swirl of the glass.

Nose is full of wonderful coffee aromas. I love my coffee and this definitely does it for me. There's a nice underlying sweetness of roasted malts, but the aroma is definitely weighted towards the coffee. Taste is also full of coffee. Maybe reminds me more of coffee than the noes did. There's notes of chocolate, and those roasted malts. The alcohol is very well hidden, almost unnoticeable. One of the more complex brews I've had, and every sip keeps you thinking and looking for more.

Mouthfeel is pretty heavy, but not quite as thick as others I've had. Average carbonation levels. Overall, a wonderful brew. Didn't notice this was on-tap until I was 2 beers in, and was kicking myself all night for missing it. The flavors are so complex and everything fits together so well; definitely impressed here.

10-23-2011 19:58:34 | More by zimm421
Nachojon

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Served from bottle into large snifter.

A- Pours a nice dark chocolate brown. A nice glowing brown with light. Light head and a lace that really coats the glass.

S- This thing smells amazing. It's like a chocolate factory. Warm chocolate with a bit of bitter. Coffee and warm chocolate goodness ( I don't even like chocolate).

T- Smooth dark chocolate to start. Great balance of the sweetness to the bitterness. More of a bitter coffee taste at back of throat that I think really cleanses the palette. Every taste is a fresh experience.

M- Really crisp for something this complex and dark. I will drink one for breakfast everyday (I wish).

O- Great beer. Really just something special in my opinion. Loved it.

10-23-2011 17:52:15 | More by Nachojon
oline73

Maryland

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours black with a little red coming through when the light hits the edges. There is a half finger of beautiful dark tan head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Very roasty and full of wonderful coffee. There is a nuttiness and a mild hop bitterness.

Taste: Quite bitter up front from the roast and coffee. Intense, but not unpleasant. Not particularly sweet, but there is a good amount of balance. There is a pleasant hop bitterness that shows up in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is very smooth and on the thick side of medium. Smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Just fantastic. This was bottled two weeks ago, and is so well made. I will definitely have another in the future.

10-23-2011 17:29:45 | More by oline73
GreenPea

Again, yet another beer by Founders that say's, "we've been doing this for a while".

Is this the best breakfast in town? as long as my wife doesn't read this you bet.

I love coffee and could live on chocalate. Well somehow that's what they stuffed in this bottle.

The mouth feel is silky and rich with classic notes of premium coffee. Everything about this say bold yet ballanced.

Founders has quickly become a safe bet for me. I simply have loved everything I've had from them and this is no exception.

10-23-2011 03:16:42 | More by GreenPea
IdrinkGas

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottled 9/21/11 I like to drink this beer slightly under room temperature.
Pours pitch black with a small mocha head.

Fresh roasted coffee beans and brownies.

Strong coffee first. Finish is slighty bitter coffee, some hops and alcohol. For me this has just the right amout of coffee.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a lower level of carbonation.

One of the best coffee stouts. I buy a four pack everytime I spot it on the shelf. Much better when its ftesh.

10-22-2011 23:18:40 | More by IdrinkGas
EnemyWithin

Ontario (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev -15.3%

Founder’s Breakfast Stout. Bottle into Duvel glass on Oct 22, 2011.

Appearance: 4

Dark opaque black body with 1’ brown-white head. This dissaptates into a thin, incomplete covering. Moderate lacing

Smell: 4.5

Rich dark chocolate and cocoa as well as notes of espresso give it both a sweet and roasty aroma. Also, get faint notes of dark fruit, with a slight sourness.

Taste: 3.5
Surprisingly bitter stout. Seems like this aspect may be as much from, if not more so, from the coffee than the actual hops themselves. I almost mistake this bitterness for a sourness at time, like drinking coffee black. Overall, get a coffee-forward flavor with notes of roastiness, and cocoa. Also, get the faintest more peppery, citrus (lemon) bitterness from hops; this is very sutble.

There is not a strong sweetness to this beer at all. I find this quite suprising. Also this is not a overly heavy, sticky flavor beer. That all being said, it’s still quite enjoyable. Just different than many other stouts I’ve had before.

Mouthfeel: 3.5

Milder thickness, with a moderate carbonation. Seems to be just a bit thin for my liking, but not too much though. Do get some initial sweetness, but then a more definitive dry finish

Overall: 4
Different than I expected because significantly more bitter than sweet. Obviously, this was the aim of the beer, but I guess I didn’t realize this beforehand. It does have a nice coffee, cocoa roasty taste that I enough. I just tend to enjoy a bit more sweetness in my stouts. However, I could see many people who don’t like the more standard sweeter RIS beers liking this a lot.

Also, at the end, I tried this beer with a chocolate cookie and it did pair quite well. The sweet, sugary cookie softed the bitterness of the beer, and I found the beer, in turn, had richer flavors of cocoa and coffee. I understand how this could be a great java-breakfast substitute beverage.

10-22-2011 21:59:46 | More by EnemyWithin
stercomm

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, like most folks love this beer

A - Pours a dark coffee, chocolate color, big bold brown frothy 3 finger head that leaves a strong lacing along the sides of the glass.

S - Feel like I'm in a coffee shop that sits next to a chocolate factory, very strong ground coffee bean sent, get some chocolate and some hints of malt

T - Roasted coffee, chocolate, toasted malts, nicely balanced beer.

M - Medium creamy body, mild carbonation

D - What can I say that hasn't been said, a great beer

10-22-2011 21:59:36 | More by stercomm
Fatehunter

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

How to add anything to the other 2,000+ reviews? It probably is not happening, but I found some so it is getting reviewed.

Poured into a tulip glass. Black as a desert night. A nice finger of tan head formed and continued to come together after the pour.
I could smell it in the pour. Dark chocolate, black malt, alcohol and milk chocolate. Strong and rich.
Tastes black; bitter chocolate, alcohol and burnt grain.
Super smooth, a little creamy, medium body and moderate carbonation.
I was surprised by the alcohol smell and taste. It does not have an exceptionally high ABV. Still, the smell was perfect: big and bold. The taste was incredible. Perfect accompaniment to breakfast or a bourbon.

10-22-2011 18:12:45 | More by Fatehunter
rangel2

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on date says 10/06/11. It's 10/22/11.

Poured bottle into Dupont ~12 oz. glass. Pitch black, finger of creamy dark tan head.

Coffee. Roasted coffee right up front. Chocolate coming through.

First sip is coffee, again. Slight chocolate bitter rises, with roasted barley holding strong while oaty, toffee breaks through. Finish is bitter oat though. Yummy oat all day! Vanilla starts coming into the mix as it warms.

Carbonation is high. Tingles well into middle of taste, but delightful, nevertheless. Thick as you would expect it to be upon first glance, but settles nicely. Thins nicely but lingers long, making me anxious for another sip.

Overall, WOW. This one never gets old. Finish the night with this one. Roasted (sweet) coffee, substantial balanced bitter against the roasted malty notes, with savory oat and toffee to boot! This beer beacons to be had with bacon, oatmeal, some sunny side up eggs, and a germ wheat pancake!!! BREAKFAST!

10-22-2011 05:53:40 | More by rangel2
NightINgale

Russian Federation

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A - This beer looks like a proper stout all right! Opaque dark brown body, with a delicious looking brown head. Pretty good head retention.

S - My bottle was kind of old, so I did not get a full aroma out of this beer. I did get some chocolate, a bit of coffee, and slight vanilla notes, though.

T - This is like a flavour explosion in my mouth! The beer's taste is a marvellous blend of iced coffee, dark chocolate, caramel and vanilla. The oatmeal gives it a nice smooth texture, while the abundance of roasted malts provide some noticeable bitterness. Balanced sweetness. Constant improvement and expansion of the flavour profile call for taking your time while savouring every sip.

M - The mouthfeel is quite massive, with plenty of body and viscosity to it. The alcohol content is masked pretty well. The texture is smooth and silky.

O - Wow, what a great stout to savour! The fact that the brewer had made it a chocolate, oatmeal, and coffee stout at the same time is simply astonishing, as is the way these ingredients all work out together. For those of you who are lucky enough to get Founders in your area this should be a must-try double stout!

10-22-2011 04:18:48 | More by NightINgale
bishopdc0

Maine

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a black, very dark color. The head is big tan and creamy very nice.

The nose is smooth coffee with hints of cocoa roasted malts a ever so slight hint of alcohol at the end.

The taste, well let me start by saying I don't like coffee or atleast the american version. This is not like american coffee. The flavor is sweet to start very sweet but as the sweet begin to get to be to much the bitter roasted malts and the flavor of coffee come in. The coffee taste lingers and never turns burnt. Slight creamy taste with real cocoa finish with a dry taste as bakers chocolate would. The moutch is nice low carbonation tickle the tip of the tongue while the bitterness coats the middle...as this beer sits, open in my glass not a celler, it tend more toward cloying as the carbonation fades but the cocoa remains.

Nice brew but don't drink to many...

10-22-2011 00:55:30 | More by bishopdc0
SeaUrchin

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

went to the founders happy hour at slows bbq, had this on tap into a goblet, low light room so appearance might not be perfect

appearance - black as my soul, moderate carbonation with a medium brown head

smell - coffee up front with a mixture of roasted malts and dark chocolate, smells better than in a bottle

taste - coffee, bitter black coffee, the kind that wakes up your soul, then sweet roasted malts and bitter dark chocolate, finished with coffee sitting on the tongue

mouthfeel - thick but exactly what you expect from a stout

overall - one of my all time favorite beers, amazing to say the least

other note - have had at breakfast and do once a year since i cant make it out to founders, great way to start the day if you dont have shit to do

10-21-2011 01:40:59 | More by SeaUrchin
justiceavocado

3.38/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Inappropriate? I don't care. I'm at the moment convinced a snifter is great for any style.

A – Opaque black with essentially no head. Just a few islands of bubbles, a few of which stick to the glass in a weak trace of lacing. Looks flat and sad, really. If I didn't already know this was THE Founders Breakfast Stout, I would be disappointed. But I suppose that's typical of these more imperial stouts.

S – Well, coffee, yeah. That's definitely happening. Also, burnt caramel. Kind of like something from Starbucks? My nose is searching for chocolate, but I'm not finding it. Should I be? This is disorienting. The balance is great. In fact, I'm smelling it too much. It's becoming my brain's default smell, so maybe I should just get to drinkin, eh!

T – Coffee beans. Not the drink, the actual beans, after you've sucked all the chocolate off of them. A good kind of bitterness, and not balanced with as much sweetness on top as you'd expect. It is this unexpectedness that I appreciate. This is a bitter stout, but not hoppy really at all.. Despite the novelty, it is still coming across as two-dimensional.

M – It doth sit heavily on the tongue. As the appearance indicated, not too much carbonation. But it does tickle the tongue, to a degree. I'd say very appropriate for the style, anyway.

O – No more than once per sitting, for me, thanks. I'm a fan of coffee things (but not hot coffee itself, I add irrelevantly), and this falls into that category, but I don't know if I'm going to be going after it with equal anticipation next fall. I'm sure I'll get a four pack, if I see it, but that might be where it starts and stops. (That's actually not true. My wife digs it way more than I, apparently.)

10-21-2011 01:09:13 | More by justiceavocado
iDrinknewglarus

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +8%

A: Pours thick and black like used motor oil. Leaves a substantial amount of spotty lacing. Tan/brown head that looks quite creamy, but dissipates for the most part within a couple minutes.

S: Big coffee, lots of roasted malt, not too sweet. Bittersweet chocolate is in the background compared to the coffee. Earthy. Really nice.

T: Out of this world flavor. Think of the aroma but much more pronounced. Loads of coffee, I even get that distinctive coffee acidity and bitterness. Bitter chocolate covered espresso bean aftertaste. Beautifully balanced and with loads of flavor. Alcohol is nowhere in sight. The chocolate lingers for a long time.

M: Full. Coasts the mouth extremely well. Feels thick, rich and luxurious. Leaves a nice chocolate layer in my mouth. Soft carbonation. Creamy. Can it get any better?

Wow, this beer is the whole package for me. It looks great, smells great, tastes world class, and has a soft, creamy mouthfeel. This beer never ceases to amaze me how good it really is. I would gladly drink this beer FOR breakfast.

10-21-2011 00:17:07 | More by iDrinknewglarus
pigc

Nebraska

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Pours nearly pitch black with a half finger creamy brown sugar colored head.

S - Bitter dark chocolate, coffee, toffee, black licorice.

T - Chocolate and bitter coffee start followed by a wave of alcohol. Nice semi-dry bitter finish.

M - Oily and viscous. Medium to heavy.

O - Definitely a top tier stout. Love the medium abv, not too light, not too heavy. Pick up a bottle or 4 pack if available!

10-20-2011 00:41:25 | More by pigc
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

12oz. bottle into a founders tulip glass

A: Pours pitch black with maybe a hint of brown, completely opaque. About an inch of medium brown head that very slowly fades away to a ring around the glass. Quite nice.

S: As soon as I start to pour, I can smell the coffee. Bittersweet coffee can be smelled from feet away. Some roastiness, dark chocolate, and hop bitterness can be smelled, as well. A bit bitter for me, but good for the style.

T: A bit of a surprise after the smell. There is significantly less coffee in the taste. Much more roast, fairly significant hop bitterness, with some bitter coffee. The bitterness is a bit much for me, but overall very good.

M: Thick with good carbonation. Very good.

O: The coffee and chocolate flavors in this beer are wonderful. They mix quite well with the intense roast. I just wish the bitterness was dialed down a bit. A bit more sweetness would help, too. Overall, this is a very good imperial stout.

10-19-2011 20:32:48 | More by coreyfmcdonald
syrupjoe

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a thick, syrupy black color with a half finger foamy tan head.

The nose of this beer smells of dairy, cocoa, and coffee. I want to sit here and sniff this all night.

Taste is similar to nose - lots of roasty, chocolatey, coffee-ness. Super intense. Dark chocolate bitterness lingers, with a hint of coffee.

Not very carbonated, but perfectly carbonated. The flavor from one sip of this lasts like two minutes. Such an intense brew.

This was my first time with the breakfast stout - now I understand what all the talk is about! Incredible beer that will most definitely be consumed along other breakfast essentials in the near future.

10-19-2011 05:00:29 | More by syrupjoe
bcostner1

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Black. Thick, creamy, foamy tan head. Pour beautifully. I always forget just how dark this beer truly is.

S: Coffee. Sweet, delicious coffee. Some chocolate. Roasty notes. Great nose. Can't stop sniffing it.

T: Absolutely one of the best. Great coffee on the front end complimented perfectly on the back end by sweet, smooth, delicious chocolate. Even get a little malted milk ball character at the end (which I like a lot). Perfectly balanced. Outstanding.

M: Almost like drinking a thick, rich, iced coffee shake. Definitely a sipper. Coats the tongue and mouth beautifully, not cloyingly. Because it is heavy, 1-2 tops per sitting (if I could get that many) would do it for me.

Overall, like everyone else, I love this beer. It is between this and Terrapin WNB as to which is my favorite coffee stout. Can't go wrong with either one though. Founders, please come to TN!!!

10-18-2011 23:51:31 | More by bcostner1
cbbjr

District of Columbia

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

A-deep black with beautiful brown head and heavy lacing

S-you get a little of everything good in the world. A lot of chocolate and coffee.

T-heavy on dark chocolate at first, then a smooth but strong coffee flavor. A little bit of spice and no harsh alcohol taste. Perfect combination of sweetness from the chocolate up front before the bitterness kicks in.

M-pretty robust, particularly for an oatmeal stout

This is one of my top five beers. It is damn near perfect. I have had CBS and KBS, and while they are great, it is hard to beat regular Breakfast Stout.

10-18-2011 23:30:12 | More by cbbjr
WrathsU

A - Deep brown to black colored body. Think brown lively head. Long lasting and well laced.

S - Tons of chocolate up front. Complex coffee, oatmeal, and earthy notes behind the more obvious chocolate.

T - Heavy amount of coffee in the very front. Swiftly followed by a rush of dark and bittersweet chocolates. A twang of bitterness is in there but it is unclear if it belongs to the roasted barley or a hop bitterness. Alcohol is very well hidden and only a slight trace remains.

M - Heaviest bodied beer I've ever had. Very thick and sludgy. A medium low amount of carbonation.

D - One of the best beers I've ever tried. Certainly the best stout I've ever had. If you can find this beer, buy it!

10-18-2011 22:46:45 | More by WrathsU
ryguy210375

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance - Pours a "dark coffee" black with a small but respectable head. Head appears off white with cinnamon color mixed it. Frothy and slightly murky.

Smell - Strong Expresso, Coffee, with bits of dark chocoloate/cocoa.

Taste - Excellent. Immediately hit by the expresso/coffee bitterness. However, it quickly fades into a smooth, silky, bittersweet chocolate with noticeable hints of cream and vanilla. Finish is expected; that of lingering coffee and cocoa. FBS finds that perfect middleground of sweetness where it's present and just enough, yet not anywhere near cloying. Perfect amount of sweetness to balance out the coffee biterness mid palate without being overdone. Alcohol is barely noticeable (and what is noticeable blends into the coffee/chocolate very complimentary), and I was having it at room temperature instead of chilled which would probably take it right out.

Mouthfeel- Smooth as silk. I would say it's a rich, medium mouthfeel. Not as thick as I was expecting (a plus for me personally), but it definitely feels like there is a bit of melted chocolate that provides smoothness and just a tad of stickiness.

Overall - Superb. It goes without saying though, that you must be a fan coffee/expresso flavors. The chocolate and hints of cream and vanilla are clearly noticeable, but the coffee dominates. Seek it out and give it a go if you can get your hands on some.

10-18-2011 20:15:15 | More by ryguy210375
gigaknight

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Poured hard and optimistically into a pint glass (didn't feel like scrubbing a snifter later), presenting a dissipating film of peanut-butter colored head. Little lacing to speak of, however the brew is still rather cold, so I'm sure it'll get stickier as it approaches room temperature.

S- I've enjoyed Breakfast Stout several times now, but this bouquet never gets old. Rich torrents of sweet espresso and milky chocolate greet the nose even while relatively cold. As the beer warms, the coffee stands out even more, and a bit of toasty vanilla peeks out as well.

T- As expected, coffee dominates the front end of the palate, followed by the unfolding sweetness of rich chocolate and a well measured bit of lactic tang. The coffee notes here lack any tone of oxidization (as lesser breakfast stouts may), and the balanced nature of the beer's sweetness is without compare. Not even approaching cloying, the complexity of this brew allows every element of its palate to emerge and blend gracefully.

M- Rich and silky with just enough carbonation so as to not let the robust flavors accumulate too heavily on the tongue. Chews well, and is remarkably sessionable despite the lofty alcoholic content.

O- It's no secret that this is world class beer, and I feel like it's become much more readily available in the midwest during its seasonal run, thus spoiling me towards just about any other stouts I bring home in its place. I honestly haven't had actual coffee this smooth and well-defined, and that goes double for any stout that regulates its own sweetness so well.

10-18-2011 03:52:15 | More by gigaknight
HossMcGraw

3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Mixed feelings on this one; I've been anxiously awaiting to try it and found it to be a well-made beer, but not something I would actively seek out.
Pours thick and viscous with no head or lacing to speak of. Nose is coffee that's been sitting around for a while, bakers chocolate and something a bit sour. Not overwhelmingly so; some may call it dark fruit but it comes off as a bit sour to me.
Taste is quite bold; follows the nose with a super dark chocolate and lingering espresso on the tongue.
Mouthfeel was a huge letdown. No carbonation (not that it was expected), and quite thin. Despite the thick appearance, mouthfeel is surprisingly thin which feels strange considering the bold flavors.
So..kinda conflicted about this. It tastes delicious but isn't particularly attractive and feels weird in the mouth which makes it difficult to enjoy. Just overall kinda let down. I think maybe I just need massive tongue-numbing hops to balance this. I've been a fiend for hops as of late. I gave it some points cause I appreciate the craftsmanship even if it isn't for me

10-18-2011 02:19:09 | More by HossMcGraw
orangesol

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

Served on nitro-tap at The Fridge on their opening day.

A - Pours dark as night black with a nice creamy one and a half finger tall khaki colored head leaving thick rings of lace down the glass. The cascade effect caused by the nitro-pour was a thing of beauty.

S - Smells of rich espresso, bakers chocolate, and vanilla. Good balance of dark roast to sweetness. While all the flavors are there I think the nitro dulled them down a bit.

T - Starts off with a huge espresso kick that never really fades away. Hints of sweet bakers chocolate, vanilla, and the dark roasted malts help to keep the coffee in check as much as they can but that is next to impossible with this beer. The finish is a mix of dark roast and light sweetness, lingering on the pallet for some time. Like the nose, I believe the nitro may have dulled the flavors a tiny bit.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. The rich, creamy, feel was nearly perfect for this beer. It got a tiny bit watery at the very end tho.

O - Still one of my all time favorite stouts. The nitro pour, while offering amazing looks and feels, does hurt the smell and taste a tiny bit. I will never turn down a pour of BS but I may stick with regular tap from now on.

Serving type: nitro-tap

10-17-2011 22:59:23 | More by orangesol
Keithstone44

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Pours a jet black with a minimal head. great lacing that stuck around until I finished the glass

S: very pungent coffee smell in the beginning. some chocolate and sweet malt sneaks in at the end. wow this beer smells good.

T: Coffee is very evident in the foreground, followed by dark chocolate. This is seriously a meal in itself, delicious.

M: Super thick, its like drinking an alcoholic milkshake. Perfect level of carbonation

O: One of my favorite imperial stouts.

10-17-2011 05:13:10 | More by Keithstone44