Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,053
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
FARGO619

BASED ON PREVIOUS NOTES: Poured black and a nice mocha head on it. Really nice. Pitch black. This was like a great meal and went well with chocolate cake. Served in a tulip glass. Popped out with coffee and chocolate aroma this is a true gem of a beer. Sweet with a kick that just warms your stomach. Beautiful beer.

12oz. bottle into a tulip

06-24-2011 15:45:19 | More by FARGO619
claytong

Vermont

4.25/5  rDev -6%

so i had kbs before this guy which i think was a mistake

appearance - dark and oil like, decent head

smell - dark chocolate with maple, beautiful but i miss the bourbon

taste - a little more nicer with some great coffee notes and all the same as smell

mouthfeel - not as thick as i thought from appearance, was hoping for something thicker

kbs is definitely stronger and lovelier for me, though id be happy to have this around as a regular (hard to do as we dont have distribution here)

06-21-2011 16:20:45 | More by claytong
Allpe45

Arizona

4.7/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter
Appears opaque black with a short mocha head. Head recedes quickly but leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells delicious. Burnt and earthy coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt and flaked oats.

Taste follows the nose. Earthy and burnt coffee up front, semisweet chocolate and roast malt in the middle and some lightly burnt grain flavors in the finish, bitterness is mild. No alcohol presence.

Full bodied, low carbonation. Creamy texture that coats with mouth with a mild lingering bitterness.

Extremely well balanced and enjoyable. It is evident that this was finely crafted.

06-21-2011 00:30:31 | More by Allpe45
heysuz

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Intro: 22 oz. bottle in a tulip glass. Shared with a friend.

Appearance: Minimal head that dissipates to a ring of lacing, motor oil black in coloring.

Smell: Sweet roasted chocolate and coffee aroma that is very subtle. Not nearly as pronounced as I thought it would be.

Taste: Strong coffee flavor with a very slight cocoa or dark chocolate taste on the back of the palette, some alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Some coating, not as thick as a motor oil type stout but definitely heavy, with a bitterness of roasted coffee aftertaste and lots of carbonation.

Overall: It is good, but in my opinion not great. For me it does not live up to the ratings I see. It is rated in the top ten of all beers, and this is nowhere near my top ten. I am relatively new to the style of stouts and it could be that I not accustom to the style, but I have had a half-a-dozen or more stouts and found many others more enjoyable overall.

06-12-2011 15:50:45 | More by heysuz
mjtiernan

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Immense thanks to heyta for sending me this one!

12oz bottle poured into a Jester King Grand Opening snifter

Ideally I’d be drinking this with my pancakes in the morning, but that isn’t such a great idea when you’ve got little ones to look after

A: Black with a lovely caramel-brown head. Head reduces to a welcome ring around the edge of the glass which remains throughout the duration.

S: Roasted coffee and chocolate. Possibly the most present (and pleasant) coffee/chocolate aroma of any beer I’ve had. I want to drink it NOW!

T: Wow…amazing! Where's the alcohol? Delicious espresso and powdered semi-sweet chocolate. There’s nothing off about this beer. Usually, coffee and chocolate in beer is distractingly bitter but this is perfectly balanced…a delicacy.

M: Fairly viscous as it should be. Smooth. Mild carbonation…appropriate for this style.

O: I'm relieved that there isn't some sort of barrel-aged madness interfering with this one. I'll leave that to KBS. Southern Tier Choklat does chocolate better, and Peche Mortel does coffee better (slightly) but Founders Breakfast Stout is far and away the best example of combining the two. Possibly the most perfect flavored stout I’ve ever had.

06-12-2011 05:38:11 | More by mjtiernan
1Adam12

4.13/5  rDev -8.6%

2010 bottle. Pours a creamy jet black. Tons of coffee and chocolate on the nose. Tastes like liquid chocolate candy bar. Very creamy with a nice coffee, malt aftertaste. Reminds me of sipping chocolate. Almost no carbonation. Very nice brew yet again. I love founders.

Edit: After having a 2011 bottle today, the main difference is that the 2011 has a stronger coffee flavor. I actually preferred this with a year on it. I'm letting the other 3 bottles out of the 4 pack sit for awhile.

06-11-2011 22:59:49 | More by 1Adam12
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.13/5  rDev -8.6%

On-tap at the Brick Store Pub. Pours black with a two finger dark beige head and reasonable lacing. Smells vinous, with additional notes of bitter chocolate and dark roasted coffee, as well as some rounder, creamier aromas. A bit overcarbonated and not quite as deep tasting as I remember it being in the bottle. Nice bitter and chocolate notes, but slightly thinner and a little less seemless and layered than in the bottle. A little like an egg cream in overall effect, I'd prefer a little more depth. Still a very good beer, but it didn't impress me as much as it has in the past.

06-11-2011 03:43:31 | More by Georgiabeer
Jazzcrop

3.8/5  rDev -15.9%

Dark. Tastes like coffee that's been in the sun for too long then washed with bourbon and hops. Really dark and very bitter. Should wake you up. Not as good as KBS, imo. Just too dark and not enough complexity. I want more than dark tastes and textures. Yeah I know everyone loves this beer.

06-10-2011 02:31:53 | More by Jazzcrop
kscaldef

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev -36.3%

A: Big light brown head, very dark brown body

S: Lots of chocolate, a little coffee. Some sweet breadiness.

T: Bready, with mild chocolate. Not much sweetness.

M: Honestly, a little thinner than I expected. Very dry bitter finish.

O: Nothing I wouldn't drink, but by no means on par with most of Founders offerings.

06-08-2011 04:28:57 | More by kscaldef
mdvatab

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into imperial pint glass.
No bottled-on date.

Aroma: Espresso beans, dark chocolate, hot cocoa powder, and an underlying full-bodied red wine character.

Appearance: Dark tan 1.5 finger head slowly falls to a thin layer. Deep, black, concentrated, opaque espresso w/ a very thin halo of coffee color around the edges of the body.

Flavor: Dark, bitter mocha. Dark-roasted espresso and dark chocolate. Bitter sweetness toward end yields to bold, balanced, bitter, drawn-out finish. I couldn't ask for more from a double coffee stout!

Mouthfeel: Medium-low, creamy carbonation. Thick body coats, and bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue.

Overall: Again, I can think of nothing that could be improved about this beer. Definitely one to savor, and one to which I hope to have a steady supply for years to come!

06-04-2011 02:37:18 | More by mdvatab
schmoopsbeer

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured in to my eagle rock brewery snifter
Thanks to CaptinRedBeard for this brew

Color: Pretty dark... I would say dark heavy brown. a nice dark khaki head forms, about 1 1/2 fingers worth and the lacing is quite good through out.

Nose: Just like breakfast should be... full of robust coffee flavors and nice thick dark chocolate. In the background there are the scents of roasted malts and a mellow hp body.

Palate: An amazing mouth feel with excellent drinkability. The carbonation on this beer is great it allows for the beer to show off all its incredible flavors. I love that this beer coats the tongue
with waves of coffee(if I had to guess... Sumatra coffee was used.) and sweet dark chocolate. Totally yummy.

Finish: Like everything else: Coffee and chocolate all the way down the hatch. Well balanced and layered. An incredible stout.

06-01-2011 20:07:15 | More by schmoopsbeer
RodneyX

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Black beer with a greyish head that didn't leave much on the sides. Smells of great cold coffee and some roast. Taste is awesome, I actually will have this with breakfast sometime. It's like coffee but it's beer. Malts keep it from tasting bitter like cold coffee. Medium bodied with active carbonation. Overall, a fantastic beer and a great example of the style that I can toss back much too easily in the morning.

05-31-2011 16:19:49 | More by RodneyX
axeman9182

3.68/5  rDev -18.6%

On tap at the Rattle n Hum's Founders event. This one was served in an 8oz goblet.

Founder's Breakfast Stout pours an unflinching black. The tan head is on the small side, and the foam leaves a little bit of lacing stuck to the inside of the glass. The nose smells like I'm at work (candy shop) and just too a whiff of the jar of chocolate covered coffee beans, it's a spot on blend between coffee and milk chocolate. That balance isn't maintained though, as drinking the beer I have a hard time finding much chocolate at all. It's not quite drinking cold coffee, but it's disappointingly close. The mouthfeel is everything I've come to expect from Founder's Breakfast Stout beers. The beer's got a supremely rich and full body, with the smooth texture that oats contribute, and it's paired with a perfectly subdued carbonation that manages to stay out of the beer's way. I don't know if it was just being consumed at the same time as KBS and CBS, but FBS just didn't impress me as much as those two (and the imperial stout) did. As far as breakfast stouts go. I think I'd find myself reaching for Terrapin Wake n Bake instead.

05-28-2011 05:01:29 | More by axeman9182
phillybeer7779

4.88/5  rDev +8%

2011 vintage poured from a bottle into a chalice.

Appearance- Dark brown to black in color with a little bit of head that dissapates quickly, but never completely disappears, lacing remains while drinking.

Smell- Strong coffee flavor that is noticeable before bringing glass to nose, with a hint of chocolate when brought closer.

Taste- The roasted cofee is very prevalent in the flavor, along with some chocolate. No hint of alcohol at all in the taste, even at over 8%

Mouthfeel- Very thick, full bodied beer, but in no way overpowering. Goes down just like a stout should.

Overall- If you don't like this beer, you don't like coffee stouts, as far as I'm concerned. Great beer!

05-26-2011 03:49:38 | More by phillybeer7779
kjc51478

Germany

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Appearance is black with medium tan head.

S: Aroma is heavy with chocolate, grains, and toast.

T: Taste is huge on the bitter chocolate, espresso, coffee, and roasted malts with underpinnings dark fruits giving it a mild sweetness.

M: Palate is full-bodied, thick and creamy texture, very little carbonation, and a bitter finish.

O: This is a very nice Imperial Stout.

05-24-2011 04:30:02 | More by kjc51478
ExtraStout

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz stubby screw-top brown bottle, cryptic notch indicating an October bottling date.

Pitch black body - even when held up directly to a light. Not quite 1/2" thick head, almost black, certainly one of the darkest heads I've ever seen. I'd dare say there's even some purple highlights to it. Retention is poor - after a couple minutes there's nothing left but a paper-thin sheet of bubbles. But surprisingly, this leaves gorgeous solid sheets of lacing all over the place. One of the strongest-smelling beers I can remember - easily noticable across the room. Assloads of chocolate, make that dark chocolate, none of that wussy milk chocolate here. Dark roasted malt, and a bit of coffee in there as well but it's not as prominent as I remember.

Starts innocently enough, with a light sweetness and soft chocolate notes. But soon enough, it gets big and bad. Intense coffee bitterness in the finish. Moderately-high hoppiness, of the earthy/herbal type shows up in the finish as well, and meshes with the coffee quite nicely. Malts are super thick - only a few sips and already my lips are sticky sweet. It's really an amazing beer - starts with all that malt and chocolate sweetness, and then seamlessly transitions to a big coffee/hop bitterness. A bit of that oatmeal smoothness as well, which really brings everything together and keeps this from going "too far" into the extreme beer world. But make no mistake, this is a big beer that is certainly extreme. Alcohol imperceptable. Mouthfeel is superb. Finely carbonated but overall light in that department. Velvety smooth. Dangerously drinkable.

05-23-2011 23:05:52 | More by ExtraStout
matttttYCE

Arizona

4.7/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle poured into my Deschutes snifer glass. Another thanks to azdback for this one. This is one that I've definitely been wanting to try. Normally I won't review two beers in a night, but since both tonight are coffee oatmeal stouts I figured it would be good.

Appearance - Aggressive pour yelids a beautiful pitch black beer with an inch high tan /light brown head. Bubbles are nice and smooth/creamy looking almost as if it were nitro. Head recedes fairly quickly but leaves a thin film of a bubbles on top and a good ring around the edges. Some decent lace left on the glass but not a lot.

Smell - Mostly of light, sweet chocolate and roast malts but then I get that coffee smell and I'm wondering how I didn't notice it initially. It's definitely there. Seems like the Kona coffee has a bit more of a distinctive smell and I like the combo of the Kona and Sumatra in this brew. The smell makes me want to eat lots of rich chocolate and I'm not even a big chocolate/sweets person. I think if this didn't have the chocolate in there, it wouldn't be nearly as fantastic smelling. This warrants a 4.5 smell rating!

Taste - Impressive right off the bat! Very much as the smell suggests, but the first thing that pops out to me is the chocolate. Again, if this beer hadn't been brewed with chocolate I think it would be severly lacking. With that said it tastes balanced like its a near perfect blend of the ingredients for a "double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout". Next I'm getting the roast and chocolate malt flavor and the coffee is good with a little of that coffee bitterness. Also in there is smoke and a bit of smooth nut flavor and a little bit of smooth oak or vanilla (as others have suggested) that I get the finish. I was hesitant at first, but after sipping on this more I had to edit my review. This one deserves a 5.0 out of 5.0 for the taste!!

Mouthfeel - Very smooth drinking. Is it silky smooth? No, but that's expected for a Double/Imperial Stout. Nowhere near chewy but it's a bit syrupy and coats the mouth oh so well, leaving you with the taste in your mouth for a good while that either allows you to drink it very slowly or makes you want to sip faster to keep that mouth completely coated and enjoying it all! Mouthfeel rating? If you didn't look alraedy, you could probably guess what I feel it warrants.

Overall - The name is PERFECTLY fitting. If I had better access to Fouders stuff, I would actually be really likely to drink this for breakfast every Saturday or Sunday morning! And I'm hardly a coffee person or one who really ever thinks about drinking beer/alcohol in the morning. So I think all I have to say is kudos Founders and I can't wait to try KBS! Overall 'bout a 4.5 out of 5!

05-18-2011 06:31:12 | More by matttttYCE
BarryMFBurton

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

I feel like it’s been too long since I’ve had a Founders. Oh wait, now that I check, I actually drank and reviewed their Porter eleven days ago. Well, too long in my book! At any rate, this one has been long overdue. Founders was my first craft love, and it’s a shame it’s taken me so long to have their famous Breakfast Stout. It's all good now, though; I just cracked a bottle, and I'm pumped.

A: Extraordinarily syrupy, pouring almost exactly like black coffee. The head is dark reddish-brown – thin and barely there, with some sexy lacing. Looks thick and bold.

S: Wow; smells like coffee, too. Roasted malts are huge, throwing bitter, smoky tones straight to your sinuses. Dark chocolate is big as well, sending the nose to a striking alcohol finish. This just screams aggressive, forward, and complex.

T: That roasted malt flavor – it’s remarkable. The smoky and bitter tones blend perfectly with the chocolate, giving it a very coffee-like feel. Ah, and the great hop quality I have always appreciated from the boys in Grand Rapids – earthy, yet enjoyably bitter. A vanilla and hazelnut presence ups the sweetness factor a touch, just as a bit of alcohol swoops in with even more intricacy. The finish is dry and oaky, but not so much that it’s unsatisfying.

M: A good feel – smoothly drinkable. Not as velvety smooth as the pour implied, but still good for the style.

O: Now for the moment of truth: was Founders Breakfast Stout everything I thought it would be? Well, it wasn't a life-changing experience, but it was definitely a good drink – I especially enjoyed the mellow hop notes mixing with the bitter roasts. Nice and complex, with even better balance as it warms. Still not my favorite Founders offering, but a superb example of what an American Double Stout can be with careful attention. Can't wait to try CBS and KBS!

05-18-2011 04:29:41 | More by BarryMFBurton
philly224

A: Very dark color, lets no light through. Head dissipates fairly quick.

S: Strong coffee and chocolate scent. One of the best smelling beers I have ever had.

T: Coffee, coffee and more coffee! Even after 5 months the coffee flavor is still very strong.

M: Very thick, taste lingers for a while after each sip.

O: One of the best beers I have ever had, going right into my top three. Gets better with each sip.

05-18-2011 00:47:15 | More by philly224
birdman200

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

*Drank on 10/25/10

A: Syrupy opaque black, 1 finger khaki head, dissipates quickly with a lot of lacing.
S: WOW...so much coffee, an epic amount. Very nutty, little dried fruit presence.
T: So much coffee and toasted nuttiness. Very roasted, very malty. Almost too much of a coffee flavor.
M: Leaves throat fairly easily. Does not stick to mouth very much.
D: Very good - drank with a slice of apple pie, which helped tame the coffee taste. Great for a cold night.

05-17-2011 17:49:51 | More by birdman200
GONZALOYANNA

Spain

3.6/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Enjoyed on Mar´11 into a Pint glass. Pours deep dark brown. Creamy light brown well attached foam, 2 cm thick, close on center & bubbled on sides. Toasted coffee & touches of chocolate on nose. Gentle upfront, dry nut bitterness & subtle sweetness. Coffee & traces of chocolate, once again, on the aftertaste. High carbonated, repeats on. Unfortunately froth doesn´t last, quickly dissipated lacing. Final sensation is a little disapointing.Fairly bland overall.

05-16-2011 23:35:36 | More by GONZALOYANNA
CharlieMurphy

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to nhindian for including this as an extra. Really looking forward to it.

A: opaque brown tinted black with just a coin of brown head.

S: Smells of booze, oak? (almost a hint of bourbon) from afar. Getting in close and it's strong coffee and some really delicious smelling cream, and roasted malts, but still a significant amount of booze.

T: Lighter and more balanced taste than I was expecting, not a bad thing just not what I was expecting. You can taste the oatmeal that you couldn't smell. Probably easily the most well balanced and smooth stout of this nature I've had yet. Slightly sweet on the finish, and less coffee (not strong either) than in the nose. The longer I let it linger before I sip again, the more enamored I become with this beer.

M: This is like drinking silk. So so good.

O: Perma-want.

05-14-2011 03:59:43 | More by CharlieMurphy
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle at Beer Temple in Amsterdam. From notes.

A - Poured black of course. One finger tan head on top with no visible carbonation. Sweet foamy lacing on the sides and a film of retention going down.

S - Smells EXACTLY like coffee. This is cool. Extremely roasty and some chocolate notes there too but that coffee is what dominates in a huge way. It's not like coffee has been added though. It's a rich, coffee bean aroma like smelling a big bag of them. So nice.

T - Probably the best coffee stout I've ever had, or close to it at least. Captures the coffee flavour perfectly so it's like I'm tasting the aroma of a coffee bean. Perfectly roasty and lot's of chocolate in the finish. The coffee element is so stunning and lovely. Well done Founders.

M - Mild to medium carbonation with a full body and the chocolate finish that turns to a nice bitterness that isn't too aggressive.

O/D - What can I say. This was a great beer. Very well crafted and made to be what they planned for. Tons of coffee and chocolate on purpose and it works well. I could drink alot of this and would love to do so on a regular basis.

05-13-2011 11:04:18 | More by tbeckett
UCLABrewN84

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to SamuelJackson45 for sending me a few bottles of this one!

Pours a pitch black with a 1 inch dark beige head that fades to a nice small cap. Thick rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smells of robust coffee, dark chocolate, and some roasted oats. Taste starts with rich coffee followed by cocoa powder and the oats. Slight cocoa nib bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer is on the thicker side with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel even with a low level of carbonation. Overall, this is a very good stout and another winner from Founders.

05-13-2011 01:22:43 | More by UCLABrewN84
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed on 4.9.11

A- Pours an almost black color with a small brown head. Nice retention and lacing.

S- Coffee and oats.

T- Booze and coffee.

D- A bit flat and oily.

O- I usually like a bit more flavors in my stouts, but this one hit the spot for me.

05-12-2011 00:52:42 | More by HuskyinPDX