Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,036
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Tucquan

4.23/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this on 2010-10-31 at Bulls Head Public House in Lititz, PA. I've had it many times since this initial review. As of the 2013 batch, I lowered my rating a little bit because I've had so many great beers since this initial review that it was necessary. Some additional comments were added on 2013-11-09 to reflect the reasons for the slightly-decreased ratings.

A - Midnight black with a thick, coffee-hued head.

S - Complex but mild aromas of roasted coffee and grain, chocolate, dried fruit and spice.

T - Wonderful. I've had this in the bottle and it is even better on-tap. The smells are reflected in the taste plus some roasted and hop bitterness. Not cloyingly sweet, thankfully. When fresh, the 2013 version is very coffee-forward and I think it will improve with age as the coffee diminishes. I just had a year-old 2012 release and actually preferred it to the fresh 2013 version.

M - Thick/viscous body with just the right amount of carbonation for the style.

O - A perennial favorite for me. I like to stock up with enough of this to savor now-and-again throughout the year until it is released again in the fall. Very satisfying stuff.

11-01-2010 11:14:51 | More by Tucquan
monkjuice

Ontario (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From a bottle into a tulip

A: Like midnight, with a dense cappuccino like foam that sticks around a while.

S: Overwhelming coffee, some dark malts, and a bit of milk chocolate hiding in the back somewhere.

T: Huge flavours going on here. Beautiful sunday morning strong coffee, triple chocolate brownies, and a nice bitterness to balance it all out.

M: Nicely carbonated and smooth on the tongue.

D: Infinite

10-31-2010 20:28:03 | More by monkjuice
dutchlq7

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance-Dark as night. Thick creamy head, nice lacing.

Smell- The roasted coffee smell is unbelievable, you also get a hint of chocolate.

Taste-Slightly carbonated, with a big roasted coffee taste and a slight chocolate taste hidden in there. as it finishes you get a small hit of some hop bitterness, coffee flavor just hangs out in your mouth after you drink.

Mouthfeel-Thick, smooth and chewy. Bitterness lingers on the tongue, slightly carbonated.

Drinkability- Awesome beer, so much going on. Can't say enough good things about this one. Try this beer!

10-30-2010 18:33:44 | More by dutchlq7
StlHopHead77

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

A-Pours an opaque,dead of midnight black with one and a half fingers worth of creamy,mud puddle brown head that had decent retention and left wispy lacing.

S-Initially,I got lots of charred malts,some burnt toast and a small amount of high grade coffee but as the beer warmed more notes of bittersweet chocolate,strong dark roast Kona coffee and a little citric hop hint crept in.

T-Big flavors of coffee and dark malts dominate at first with some sweet chocolate,scalded milk and lemon zest becoming apparent as the beer warmed.The combination of strong coffee and slight citrus reminded me of an Espresso Romano(espresso served with a lemon twist).Good multilayered bitterness.

M-Full,thick and creamy.Coffee,chocolate and hop bitterness partnered with a starchy creaminess from the oatmeal and an alcohol sweetness that was only tasted but not felt.

D-Really a highly drinkable beer.Easily my favorite stout after Peche Mortel.

10-30-2010 11:51:50 | More by StlHopHead77
nas5755

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A- A black beer with a tan head and great lacing considering the abv.

S-lots of chocolate, coffee, vanilla

T- So smooth, filled with chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oats, lightly roasted malts. A very great flavor profile.

M- Smooth, silky, creamy. Nice medium-low carbonation.

D- Very drinkable. Seem to go through a case every year.

10-30-2010 02:05:15 | More by nas5755
SamuelJackson45

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Pours and dark almost black color with a tan head.

S- Smell of Coffee and chocolate.

T-Taste of coffee and Chocolate with hop notes rooll into a bittersweet background.

M- Creamy texture of the oatmeal with coffee , chocolate flavor linger through out sip.

D- Great Beer. Another Founders Classic.

Cheers...

10-29-2010 13:13:49 | More by SamuelJackson45
bucklemyshoe

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Notes from 09/09/2010:

12 oz. bottle at 48* into a snifter.

A: This pours pure black with 2 full fingers of medium-dark khaki color head. The lace is magnificient; lively carbonation foam holds the side after a swirl and leave a curtain of tiny bubbles in its wake.

S: It features mouth-watering aromas of intense oatmeal, milk and dark chocolate, and delicious, medium-roast Columbian coffee.

T: The taste is every bit as lovely as I'd imagined and better. It has the same oatmeal, chocolate, and coffee tastes that were promised and features some dark fruitiness and sweet alcohol tastes as a fitting finale.

M: It is acidic early and finishes lighter than the color, flavors, and thickness might indicate.

D: What an unbelievable beer. I can't wait to try CBS and KBS now.

10-29-2010 04:24:10 | More by bucklemyshoe
mjrod2142

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at American Craft in Brookline, MA as part of a late brunch. The tap was not a nitrous tap.

This beer was pitch black with a creamy, light brown and thick head that was very slow to dissipate. I picked up a deep and dense coffee aroma that was very pleasant. Before taking a sip, I sensed this was a beer you could really chew on.

At 8.1% ABV, the first sip packed a punch, but still had an exceptionally creamy mouthfeel and went down easy. I enjoyed the coffee flavor, which almost made me think I was drinking a spiked coffee. This is definitely a fantastic beer to have with brunch.

An excellent coffee aftertaste lingered for a long time. Fans of stout styles should find this very drinkable.

10-29-2010 03:01:06 | More by mjrod2142
cbak999

4.7/5  rDev +4%

A - pours a very carbonated, black with lots of head, at least 3/4" thick, tan head.

S - the smell is mostly roasted malt, with hints of coffee and chocolate.

T - wow!! I can taste so many tastes in this very complex beer. Molasses, brown sugar, and bitterness in the background. Coffee, chocolate dominate. Even hints of vanilla.

D - Very well carbonated...all most too much. But this is a great sipper on a cool evening. Enjoying during a football game. A treat.

10-29-2010 00:50:46 | More by cbak999
zapato

4.88/5  rDev +8%

A - Pours a jet black just like what you would expect from an Imperial Stout. For those that like dark brews, this is about as dark as they come. Develops a thick head with good lacing as you drink it down.

S - Strong roasted aromas, primarily coffee with undertones of chocolate, but not overpowering. I always take a good whiff of a beer before it try it for the first time, and this one left my taste buds tingling before I even took a sip.

T - Absolutely superb blend of flavors here. Its very well balanced, but still maintains a unique personality. While coffee is the prevailing flavor, you can certainly taste several additional flavors I am yet to identify. They ever so slightly soften the strong roasted flavor resulting in a clean finish.

M - Thick. If you can call cheap beer "watery" then this is the opposite of that.

D - Excellent drinkablility. It does well to hide its ABV and I can easily see myself going through a few of these pretty quick. I can think of no occasion where drinking this would be an unpleasant experience.

Over all, this is a wold class brew. As my first Founders product, it has done well to establish my faith in the company. In fact, I found it so good I was inspired to write this, my first review.

10-28-2010 20:46:28 | More by zapato
adrock7309

4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured into Darkness snifter last night at cellar temp from last years release.

A - very dark black with a roasty tan .5 inch head. lacing was present after a few sips and clung till it was gone.

S - Coffee, espresso, cocoa powder.

T - A great blend of rich coffee, chocolate milkshake with just a slight bite of hops on the finish

M - Was still thin in my opinion - doesnt have the same body of the KBS or most other imp stouts

D - Awesome.

10-28-2010 18:31:41 | More by adrock7309
CHickman

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours opaque black in color with a 1/2 inch creamy tan that faded slowly and left great lacing and rings of foam on the glass and a ring of tan foam around the top of the brew; this beer looked like left over motor oil, like a spoon would stand up in it.

Wow, it smells hardy...the nose is so strong it smells like cake mix in the bowl. Smells of chocolate, molasses and coffee up front with caramel, grains (oats based on the label), cocoa, vanilla, a rum sweetness like it was barrel aged, and some light alcohol. This smells so tasty that it's almost like frappuccino and hot chocolate mixed in a wine barrel, which is just an excellent aroma.

Tastes like it smells, with chocolate, molasses, coffee (coffee grinds, coffee beans, espresso, etc.), syrup, caramel, toasted grains/oats, cocoa, vanilla, charcoal, rum, sweet malt, bitter citrus hops, grass or hay, and a barrel aged bourbon like flavor that has hints of light alcohol. Dry, bitter aftertaste with a combo of coffee, vanilla, burnt wood and faint hops, which is really nice.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with basically no carbonation, and watery flow that made this exceptional to drink; the body is heavy and chewy, yet this flows down easy. Good to drink or to sip and savor like a desert beer.

I will shy away from saying "high" drinkability, as this would be a two beer limit for me because while it is a very tasty brew and the alcohol does not show at all, it is still quite a heavy and complex beer that just would be wasteful to pound and not savor. I will say it is quite drinkable; high drinkability for any stout lovers out there.

Overall the flavor is excellent and I will try this for breakfast one day to honor the title. I highly recommend this beer, which lived up to the hype and review accolades. This is a very impressive beer in every way, which got better as it warmed up. Founders continues to impress me the more I try their beers.

10-28-2010 03:28:17 | More by CHickman
StoutHunter

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Well i finally made it to my 50th review, so i decided to pull out something special from the fridge to celebrate with. Picked up a 4 pack of this last week, so lets see if it lives up to its #8 in the world hype. Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer pours a thick pitch black with a fingers worth of head that turned into a small bubbly ring that stayed till the end. Looks like used motor oil.

S- This beer smells exactly like a cup of cold black coffee with a little bit of chocolate lingering in the background.

T- Wow, this brew is truly the beer equivalent of coffee. Coffee steals the show in this brew but it isn't overpowering and is balanced well with the base oatmeal stout flavor and the bitter chocolate presence on the finish. One of the best balanced stouts I have ever had. A little boozy but not offensive.

M- Thick and chewy just like it should be, with perfect carbonation.

D- For it's style this beer has major drinkability. If i had the beer to blow i would have not problem drinking a few of these on a cold night or cold morning. This brew does a great job at hiding it's alcohol.

Overall this is a world class brew that lives up to all the hype. This was the perfect beer to sit back and relax with and a great beer to mark my 50th review. If I could change anything about this beer I would make it year round so i could have this in my fridge at all times. Founders did and amazing job with this beer and they are quickly gaining ground on bells for being my favorite MI brewery.

10-28-2010 02:48:08 | More by StoutHunter
RankRefugee88

4.7/5  rDev +4%

Poured from bottle into a nice sifter glass.

A - Very dark. Even when shone through light you can not see anything but black. Beautiful. Small tan head that dissipates to a very thin layer but leaves some lacing along the glass.

S - Just an extremely inviting smell. Coffee, coffee, chocolate, oatmeal, and did I mention coffee? Nothing bad about the nose whatsoever.

T - I'm not gonna lie, I was hesitant about drinking this in the morning, and even after my first sip I thought I wasn't ready for this, but a couple sips down, and, wow! The coffee flavor is so robust and warming. You can feel the alcohol presence, but for the most part it is disguised by that chocolate and coffee flavor, so be careful with this 8.3%. I can also taste the traces of oatmeal, just perfect. What is also great about this beer is although it is a stout with very strong coffee bean flavor, you can taste the hops too, making it one of the best balanced stouts I've ever had.

M - Mouthfeel is up there too, it has a nice texture to it, not coarse whatsoever. As smooth as it gets. Very nicely carbonated for this style, almost perfect carbonation. Something I like about the mouth feel is that it's not too thick, but thick enough to coat your palate with love.

D - One of the easiest beers to drink that I've ever had in my life. And with and 8.3% ABV! Unbelievably drinkable. Unfortunately this is my last one from the 4-pack I picked up the other day but I will damn sure be getting more of this.

Wow, just awesome. I didn't know a beer could be so near perfect like this. Every sip is just so savory. When you take a sip of this beer everything just feels right. This beer definitely has lived up to my expectations, and I'd even go as far as saying that it's in my top 3. Just amazing.

10-27-2010 13:52:23 | More by RankRefugee88
afksports

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

This one is just so damn good. It's rare to find a beer everyone in your group likes, but this is it. While KBS and CBS are exceptional in their own way, this one has the power of drinkability. Like greyskull.

If I had one of these a day it wouldn't be a bad life. Appearance is dark brown, but not pitch. Lacing solid, head nice and tan, finger length. Smell is coffee chocolate and malts. Mostly coffee. Taste is still sitting on my tongue even after I've left Washington Commons where I had it on tap. Coffee up front, chocolate malts in the middle, dirty oatmealy sweet finish that lingers with fine chocolate.

Everyone should have this beer everywhere at all times an all places. It will cure cancer and solve starvation.

10-27-2010 03:09:08 | More by afksports
Buggabeer

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

pour from a bottle into a draft glass.

A. Like Crude Oil, Black as night. That's the best looking stout I've seen. Poured to a small head that quickly went away after first drink. Nice lacing on side of glass.

S. can you say COFFEE. Also pick up the roasted malt.

T. The coffee finish masks well the above average alcohol. Also pick up the roast of the malt. Very nice!!

M. There is a creamy feel to the beer which for me is a plus.

D. Well I won't have any of this before work but after I'll drink all I can get : ) WOW very nice!

10-27-2010 00:53:00 | More by Buggabeer
JoeBloe

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

ok - i've had this a couple of times a couple of ways when traveling out of state over the years - and now founders is finally distributing in NY -
i brought a couple of 4pks into work last week and poured a few glasses to give to the crew to try - the response was overwhelmingly incredible --"what IS this?' 'where did you get it?'
"can you get me some" "i don't think i can drink anything else now that i've tried this! " were some of the comments - beer advocacy rules!
also,one of the best labels in the industry
the next day i stopped by decicco's in ardsley to pick up a couple more 4pks for the guys and to my amazement there's FBS on the growler fill station! -

pours thick and black and puts up a nice thick 2 finger tan head and laces nicely on the way down -
smells roasty(?) with coffee and dark chocolate
taste is very nice up front with coffee flavors and chocolate with a slightly bitter finish that begs for the next sip
feels nice on the tongue and pallete, like a good quality dark chocolate -
drinkability is amazingly good - to quote a beer store employee who saw my purchase - "that stuff is like crack" - i want to sip this all day long -

very well deserving of its standing as #8 best beer on planet earth

Serving type: growler

10-25-2010 19:35:29 | More by JoeBloe
gregshead

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Dark black with that beautiful light chocolate color thick head. Head dissipates over a few minutes

S: Roasted grain and chocolate was all I could pick out.

T: Light oatmeal taste up from followed by dark roasted grain and a little bit of alcohol heat/burn. Simple but all the simple elements are all done well

M: Good amount of carbonation tickles the tongue. Thick and smooth taste.

D: Really tasty and smooth. I really liked this stout but I didn't love it for its category of American Double Stout. For all the hype, I was a tad underwhelmed but it was very good.

10-25-2010 05:01:37 | More by gregshead
BigB415

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

poured a black color. So dark no light got through. The aroma was very subtle and did smell like coffee and oatmeal. Taste was great, there was a hint of chocolate at the end which I liked. No head on the beer. I was expecting a stronger aroma from the beer but was not disappointed. It wasn't so strong it overpowered everything since I was having it with a meal. It was just right.

10-25-2010 04:59:46 | More by BigB415
TulipSnifter

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: It was dark brown-black with minimal head
Smell: Coffee
Taste: I tasted chocolate covered coffee beans... Yummy!!
Mouth feel: It felt a little thin to me.
Drink ability: It seemed to be a little thinner than I would expect but it was really easy to drink.

10-24-2010 23:32:54 | More by TulipSnifter
Tripphop

Bottled 10/23/09, drank for breakfast 10/24/10.

Consumed straight from bottle, served ice cold.

Of course, this is not the proper way to drink this one, but its not my first.

Nice blast of roasted coffee that mellows out into a creamy chocolate resin, coating the tongue. Aromas of cocoa powder and roasted coffee bean surprisingly detectable from the bottle top. Great flavor and balance overall, coffee has better integration in the brew after one year of waiting. What's for lunch?

10-24-2010 16:15:35 | More by Tripphop
drewba

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

I decided to help myself to a fresh bottle of FBS for review #25! Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - near opaque black. Pours with a tiny tan head and recedes to just a thin ring with light lacing.

S - The aroma is colossal - fresh coffee, milk chocolate, oatmeal, buttercream.

T - So many big flavors - the coffee is leading the charge. It isn't an intense bitter coffee, but something like a light roast without any stray coffee grounds to add any bitter. Chocolate and oatmeal pair together to create smooth, silky dessert like texture and flavor that gets me all hot and bothered. Citrusey hops bust out in the finish, showcasing lemony and orangey goodness.

M - Milky, creamy, smooth mouthfeel. I absolutely love it.

D - The flavors mesh so well together, I can't stop drinking this. They might as well make this Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner stout (rimshot!) Caution: you cannot taste the alcohol whatsoever at 8.3%, so watch out.

10-24-2010 09:17:59 | More by drewba
jmerloni

A - Thick pour. Jet black, a bit hazy looking. Looks like oil. Huge tan frothy head that sticks like a mofo. Pillowy. Incredible looking.

S - Oh my lord. Coffee and chocolate. Roasted and smoky. Robust smelling. You can smell the alcohol a bit. I can't imagine this smelling better.

T - Everything on the nose and more. Lives up to the excitement that had built on seeing and smelling this beer. A nice bourbon'ish alcohol tinge on the end that makes it the most pleasantly warming beer I've ever encountered. This is perfect.

M - Thick, thick. Dry as can be. Creamy and chewy.

D - Very drinkable. I wish I could drink this all night, though it might mean I end up destroying things. This is my 100th beer review and this is the best beer I've tried to date. If only it were more findable.

10-23-2010 01:07:26 | More by jmerloni
tang3nt

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Had on tap at sunset bar and grill on a recent trip to new England. I was excited to finally try a founders brew.
Pours a deep brown/black color with a nice brown head. Great retention and lacing.
Aroma is almost all coffee. Smells amazing. Definitely chocolate as well. At this point I already knew I loved this beer.
Strong coffee and chocolate flavors. The coffee in this beer tastes better than any coffee I've ever had. Just all around tastey. Both milk and dark chocolate flavors but predominantly dark.
Its medium/heavy bodied with a bit of creaminess.
A very drinkable stout. Goes down very easy especially considering the amount of bold flavors and body it has to it. Overall very happy I had the opportunity to try this and could easily see myself having this for breakfast every day. That is if I could ever score any in Cali. Breakfast of champions!

10-22-2010 20:27:58 | More by tang3nt
TMoney2591

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Served in a snifter at Durty Nellie's.

Got a tip from a friend this was on-tap nearby. Yay. It pours a solid black topped by a finger of nice tan foam. The nose comprises chocolate (both dark and milk), coffee, roasted malts, and molasses. The taste follows this pre-beaten path, though the molasses is diminished, the chocolate seems entirely dark, and the coffee lends a nice bit o' bitterness with its roastedness. The body is a rather hefty medium, with a light carbonation and a chewy feel. Overall, a very tasty brew; not necessarily as awesome as the barrel-aged varieties, but more than strong enough as it is.

10-22-2010 14:49:35 | More by TMoney2591