Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,065
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
clarkm04

Nebraska

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance- Fairly dark almost midnight appearance. A nice tan head retention with left over lacing.

Smell- Very inviting. A mixture of coffee, chocolate with hints of alcohol, and malts. Not as inviting as some stouts but definitely up there.

Taste- This beer is perfection for a big stout. All the flavors come through but nothing is over the top. There does not seem to be any flaws with the taste profile and the balance is absolutely divine. It's rare to drink a beer with so many flavors with such texture that is balanced from start to finish but this one is. I love our rich and creamy it is and how smooth it is on the palate.

Mouthfeel- Outstanding for a heavy stout. A lot of imperial stouts have a heavy feeling on the palate or have a overpowering flavor note or carbonation, not this beer. Despite all the ingredients and complexity on my palate, it is very silky and smooth.

Drinkability- Very high for an imperial stout. I could easily drink 3 or 4 of these. Very stunning for a beer over 8% ABV but despite being thick, it sits delicately and goes down absolutely smoothly.

Overall- I can't recommend this beer enough. Easily the best coffee beer out there and outstanding with the oatmeal and chocolate. The key killer about this beer is the balance. Other beers have stronger notes but nothing I've had is this balanced. Truly a brewing masterpiece.

10-11-2010 03:25:26 | More by clarkm04
modernartblues

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Served on Tap at Holy Smoke in Mahopac, NY

Reviewed from Notes (which failed to mention the glassware)

A-black, tan head, beautiful consistent lacing

S-dark chocolate, coffee, roasty coffee, a world class nose, this has to be one of the best I've smelled

T- same as the nose, if not better, the coffee flavors are complex and not of the burnt variety that makes me sad for coffee flavored beers...this one is delicious with abundance of nuanced flavors, coffee, dark chocolate, coffee

M- Thick, but not the thickest I've had. Good for the style, but not quite perfect.

D- Goes down smoothly and all too quickly.

I think this one nudges in front of Ten-Fidy for me.
A MUST for fans of the malt heavy, coffee flavored stouts.

10-11-2010 01:36:12 | More by modernartblues
Pahn

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Moderate pour yields a one and a half inch frothy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving a shiny wall of legs. Pours a solid brownish black and leaves swatches of lacing.

Smell: Strong coffee, roasted malt, dark chocolate. An airy, cola-like characteristic to the smell. There aren't many distinct notes to point out, but that's not a weakness; the smell is huge and inviting. I could make an argument for giving this a 5 in virtue of it just being straight ahead, potent imperial stout aroma, perfect in its simplicity. However, I'll give it a 4 since I like a bit more complexity, and I've been much more enticed by the smells of other stouts. The folly of user reviews.

Taste: Dark chocolate up front, coffee and roasted malt in the middle, then a somewhat dry, rather hot finish. The wow factor here (and there is a wow factor; the first thing in my notes under "taste" is: 'wow') is the creamy balance. This beer manages to be very robust, very subtle, yet very simple, all at the same time (logically, I can't see how that works). The flavors don't develop, but rather are perfectly balanced from the first sip to the last.

As with the smell, the story here isn't how much is packed into the beer, but how perfected each aspect and the overall balance are. The individual notes (especially the dark chocolate) are all very good, and they combine to make one rich, decadent flavor that fits the silky mouthfeel just right.

Mouthfeel: Lighter side of full bodied, moderately carbonated. Very creamy.

Drinkability: This is a great stout. It's noticeably alcoholic definitely (though in the form of warmth rather than solvent flavor), but it's a good winter's night sipper. Unfortunately, as good as they are, the flavors don't particularly excite me.

For me, this is a very good but overpriced beer. It tastes like a better version of Great Divide's Yeti. While the quality is very high and I can appreciate that, I'm usually looking for endless complexity in big stouts. I do have a large coffee every day, but I can't finish a bar of dark chocolate on its own, if the analogy makes sense. Further, I wouldn't pay $7 for this again, considering how much else I could get for that.

I can see easily how this beer might be a holy grail or a 5.0 for many stout lovers. For what it is, it's almost flawless.

10-10-2010 19:37:23 | More by Pahn
VelvetExtract

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

A-Pours midnight black with a creamy dark tan head.

S-Deep dark chocolate combined with a rich smell of roasty coffee beans. A bit smokey with a hint of oatmeal as well. A perfectly slight aroma of alcohol wraps up this complex smell.

T-Super delicious coffee and chocolate explodes onto the palate. The like someone dipped coffee beans in dark chocolate. Brown sugar and molasses hop aboard. A mild bitterness adds to the complexity. The 8.3% is masked excellently yet still comes up just a tiny bit which is by no means a detractor.

M-Thick but not super thick. More slick and slippery. I personally love this beers mouthfeel, its not too bold but is still bold enough to work accordingly with the style of beer.

D-Got a four pack. Gonna save one but I would love to drink these all night.

Not too experienced with stouts but I can clearly tell that this one is a beaut. One of my favorite beers ever.

10-09-2010 22:37:24 | More by VelvetExtract
chinchill

South Carolina

4.39/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- nearly opaque. Brownish black.

Superb example of Imperial Coffee stout. Excellent balance of tastes with clear presence of coffee, malt and hops, and with both sweet and bitter components. Highly complex and dynamic flavors. Subtle chocolate flavor. Exceptionally smooth both while drinking and in finish.

S - Aroma is much lighter and softer than expected for such a highly flavorful brew. Primary aroma: Malty roasted coffee

Excellent, nearly the best stout I've ever had but bested by Founders CBS

Serving type: growler

10-09-2010 17:43:40 | More by chinchill
CaptainTripps

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle provided by Hopsbreath, poured into tulip stout glass

While I'm not horribly new to the micro beer world, this will be my first of many reviews! Let the journey begin!

A- Poured a beautiful black oil looking substance. Dark as the night! Very thin brown head, left nice lacing.

S- I felt as if I was actually about to take a sip of my morning coffee. Strong espresso notes as well as some roasted malts.

T- Favorite part of the beer. Hits your tongue in waves, very nice strong roasted coffee with a creamy chocolate finish. Excellent.

M- Pretty thick and creamy, was expecting from the look of it to be a little more thicker but all is well. Very smooth.

D- I find it amazing that this is 8.3%ABV, the alcohol is well hidden. Could drink this all night but I feel that the alcohol could creep up on you! One of my favorite stouts I have tasted (thus far). I am very glad I saved this to be my first review.

EDIT:
After coming back to this beer, i adjusted some of my scores to off set how i thought this beer compared to other Imperial Stouts. A very good beer worth trying still, but i have found love in different beers.

10-09-2010 05:09:29 | More by CaptainTripps
mwagner1018

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a beautiful dark brown/black color, thick, rich, 2 plus fingers of creamy, frothy chocolaty head into a goblet. Spotted lacing down the glass, a head that lingers the entire time.

S- Coffee, chocolate, roasted malt.

T- Dark cocoa, bitter sweet dark chocolate, coffee, nice subtle lingering bitter finish that counteracts the big bold malty chocolaty goodness up front.

M- Thick and creamy, perfectly balanced, great depth of flavor. Drying bitter chocolate cocoa on the tongue on the finish, works very well.

D- Robust, yet not overpowering, the 8.30% ABV very nicely masked, good balance, nice clean bitterness to finish works great to balance out all that roasty, chocolaty malt up front...fantastic beer!

10-08-2010 03:35:26 | More by mwagner1018
bigdonniebrasco

Kansas

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours out a dark black into my snifter with a very thin brown head that disappeared quickly. A bit more of a head would have been nice, but that's my only real quarrel with this beer.

Smell is a wall of roasted espresso in your nose. Seriously, it smells like putting your nose over a pot of coffee. There's some burnt and roasted malts in there as well, but the coffee dominates.

Hits the tongue with a thick and full mouthfeel that is full of, among other things, espresso, dark baking chocolate, and roasted malt. It's certainly a huge flavor, and it comes in waves, with the espresso dominating on the front end, but the chocolate really pulling through in the finish and lingering for quite some time.

Wow, this is ridiculously drinkable for a stout of its ABV. I immediately wanted to drink a second one.

10-08-2010 01:53:04 | More by bigdonniebrasco
ZX6Chris

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

A-Black as night with a brown head that fades quickly and leaves some nice lacing.

S-Black coffee, chocolate. Not as big as I thought it would have been.

T-Big roasted coffee flavors, bittersweet chocolate. Dry finish.

M-Full bodied, great carbonation. Velvety smooth.

D-Just amazing. Nice mix of flavors, alcohol and with that mouthfeel I just want more!

10-07-2010 23:35:47 | More by ZX6Chris
kbutler1

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. I don't think even Superman could see through this stuff! You basically just see your reflection in the glass. Darkest brown/black. Head is a deep brown turning to lighter as it settles down Straight bittersweet chocolate smell, followed by bourbon, coffee, and alcohol. I keep reading complex from others but for me it really is just the chocolate, bourbon, and coffee I taste. Very pleasant though! Taste lingers in the mouth for a long time. Not as heavy mouthfeel as I would have expected. I liked it though.

10-07-2010 17:49:28 | More by kbutler1
Lazerlobe

Washington

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Midnight black with a good measure of burnt mocha head.

S: Black coffee, faded chocolate,

T: Sweet coffee and drizzled chocolate with minimal bitterness. Some hops come through on the end but the coffee is perfect.

M: Not chewy but still viscous.

D: I want to drink this all night. It is amazing how sippable this really is.

10-06-2010 23:21:08 | More by Lazerlobe
gtn80

Maine

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip stout glass.

Appearance is great, big fluffy mocha head that just sits on top like whipped cream. Lasted the entire glass.

Aroma was surprisingly not that strong, but there is roasted grains and chocolate, I am surprised to not get more coffee.

Taste is great. Big roasty/coffee flavor up front, dry chocolate in the middle and finish. Doesn't have that mouth puckering roastiness of some big stouts, but does finish very dry and balanced.

Mouthfeel is creamy, good carbonation for a stout. Velvety, full bodied mouthfeel.

Drinkability is amazing for a 8.3% stout. Due to the balance in the finish, I definitely could have more than one. Nice and chocolately, not a huge aftertaste, clean for a stout.

10-06-2010 23:13:15 | More by gtn80
Homebrew35

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a nice mocha colored 2 finger head that lasts quite long then fades to a nice fluffy cap. The body is dark roasty black colored. Smell is just like coco nibs and some dark chocolate then roasty coffee beans. Tastes of coffee and oats with a dry coco roasted finish. I enjoyed this from top to bottom. Full bodied with medium carbonation. I could drink only a few of these at a time but all winter long. Nice job Founders. Now I need to try KBS.

10-05-2010 17:54:36 | More by Homebrew35
rembrant

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour- black opaque. 1 finger head,not real dense or frothy and fading. leaves film and some lacing.

Aroma Mostly coffee. some malts but I have a cold this week and maybe I'm missing something.

Taste leads with coffee,dark roast,a bit of bittersweet chocolate,some balancing hops. i may need to let this warm a bit to bring up the flavors.
Tastes very good but i think I expected more. the coffee somewhat dominates relative to KBS where many things were balanced,so I got a LOT of complexity. Here,the complexity,what there may be,is largely hidden by a big coffee effect. Sort of like a cold espresso and an Oatmeal Stout mixed 50-50.

Mouth Looks like it should be thicker,more viscous. Not bad but a notch thinner than I expect from a big Stout. The finish is a well done blend of coffee and hop bitter There's an elegant smoothness but not the "wow" factor I expected from a beer with this reputation....and price range.

Drinkable Yes, more than I expected. It's a bit "wetter" less sweet than KBS and while there's a notable ABV,it is hidden.
I'm a coffee guy and that's a + here but in this price range I want more complexity or more punch/robustness. Good stuff but not a top of the heap Stout...not quite.

Gotta love that label though...

10-05-2010 16:42:49 | More by rembrant
LikaThaHops

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into snifter, served at 55 degrees F.

A- Jet black body with an ample, thick frothy/bubbly chocolate brown head, about 2 inches tall. Gradually, it faded into a light head and then just lace. Light carbonation.

S- Smelled strong of coffee with hints of chocolate and a light alcohol after smell.

T- The taste was exactly what I had hoped for, it smells like it looks. Amazing. Coffee with chocolate is all I can say.

M- Swirling it around in the mouth, its not too heavy, not too light. A little carbonation. it feels like coffee!

D- The drinkability of this fine brew is almost scary. I could sit and drink this particular brew all winter long, and if my local suppliers could keep it stocked, I would.

10-05-2010 03:22:53 | More by LikaThaHops
DrDemento456

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

World class beer finally ticked! Found this at my local bottle shop for only 4.25 a serving. Buy a four pack for only 15 bucks. Not all all a bad price for perfection!

A - Poured from the bottle into my goblet so I can get a good smell. Looks thick and viscous with no light escaping it looks like a nice blacked imperial stout but ow snap! It's a oatmeal stout! Curious I take a whiff.

S - Well nothing off putting here. Smells of some great quality coffee. Mostly malty. Slight sweetness. Smell a bit nutty.

T - Not as Wow as I expected it to be "hype train?" Anyway not negative in anyway. You get a solid stout consisting of strong roasted coffee that doesn't bring much bitterness but making it smooth and enjoyable and mild chocolate sort of cocoa like. Nothing more or less but lovely.

M - Even though it 8 percent it is surprisingly drinkable. Yet a sipper you would enjoy.

D - Yeah I will pick up another four pack. Founders has always been good to me and I appreciate the effort they put into beers and a nice price tag to boot makes this one beer thats a must for my fridge.

10-05-2010 02:19:45 | More by DrDemento456
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Ink black body, mocha head.

Rich chocolate, vanilla and plumb aromas.

Layer after layer of epic stout flavor. Roasted espresso, dark chocolate, vanilla, molassas, brown sugar, prunes, raisins. Dark malty goodness. Bitter chocolate clings to my palate.

Creamy, syrupy, velvety body.

Worth the wait and the rep. Easliy one of the best stouts on earth.

10-03-2010 23:42:57 | More by BradLikesBrew
TheSarge

4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours pitch black with a choclolate looking foamy head, with great retention. The body is blacks as hell with no hues showing through.

The aroma's roasty with coffee upfront, and slight hints of metallic hops.

Rich with flavor. Lots of coffee, dark chocolate. Oily slickness and warming to the palate with a fair amount of carbonation. I'd love to try this one off a nitro tap if available.

10-03-2010 21:51:59 | More by TheSarge
SkunkWorks

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. As a side note, I had this with breakfast for extra fun.

Look: very black with no highlights even when held up to the light. There's almost no head at all but what little head it has is a deep brown. There's some lacing but not all that much.

Smell: roasted grains and a big coffee scent is what I get. Smells like a good cup of coffee, living up to the name.

Taste: coffee and bittersweet chocolate are the two tastes I get the most. Very delicious. Tastes like a cup of coffee. There's no alcohol taste at all and its generally just very pleasant to drink. Not challenging in any way.

Feel: fairly thin for a double stout. I think if anything is a weak point of the beer it would be this. Its on the thin side of medium bodied. There's no bitterness at all present so I'm surprised to see it at 60IBU.

Drink: very, very high. If I hadn't intentionally paced myself I would've finished my glass very quickly. Its very easy to drink and could definitely be sessioned if you wanted to go that route. This is especially true in light of the alcohol content.

Overall, I dunno if this beer is worthy of a top 10 spot but it certainly deserves to be up there somewhere. This is one of the better stouts I've had and I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'll be having again. Good job, Founders!

10-03-2010 12:24:37 | More by SkunkWorks
Pballa4lyfe

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

A- great appearance, dark, small head

S- smelled good, a whiff of oatmeal and coffee

T- the coffee flavor really jumps out at you..i'm not a huge coffee fan, but this was the majority of the taste

M- good mouth feel, heavy, strong but clean finish

D- good beer, filling, strong, hides the abv well

Overall- a great stout...one of my favorite stouts i've ever tasted...probably would only be good with 2 of these in a night before i had to switch to something else...a great beer..but not top 10 worthy

10-02-2010 05:51:56 | More by Pballa4lyfe
sixthglass

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A - Dark and beautiful. Dark brown 1 finger head. Nice lacing. Poured into a snifter.

S- Smokey, Roasty, Coffee, and coco.

T- Smokey, coco, and big coffee finish, Just a perfect balance of flavor.

M- Great coating, a great thickness to the beer.

D- This is a great beer for everyday drinking.

10-02-2010 02:22:26 | More by sixthglass
mfunk9786

This is almost as good, if not better, than Kentucky Breakfast Stout. The fact that it's easier to find and about half the price, well... that seals the deal in making this Founders' best beer, period.

A: Completely opaque, pitch black. There's about a finger of chocolate mousse head that laces nearly as nicely as a sticky IPA throughout. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Doesn't get any better than this.

S: The oatmeal character is immediately noticeable in the form of a roasty grain aroma, and the finish is a big-time coffee punch. Chocolate is definitely there but it doesn't assert itself (as it shouldn't). Smelling this beer is one of its joys - it really does live up to its name. I could easily see waking up from a particularly nice weekend sleep to a glass of this and a grand slam breakfast.

T: Tastes absolutely delicious. Bittersweet chocolate, gourmet coffee, and roasty, toasty oatmeal. It's not missing anything. The mouthfeel is appropriately thick and tongue-coating. There's nothing about this beer that is remotely compromising, and for a beer that's less than 8.5% alcohol, it is remarkably full-bodied. Absolutely lives up to its delicious name and intriguing label. Founders should always consider this to be its flagship beer and should never take it for granted, it's all right there in the taste.

M: The mouthfeel is thick, the thing that a lot of rookie beer drinkers complain about when it comes to dark beer. Each of those people should be handed a glass of this - I'd like to hear someone's explanation as to why this should be any thinner than it is - it's got a lot of body to jive with a lot of flavor and a lot of character.

D: I would dock this beer for being so BIG, but if price and self-esteem weren't an issue, I could easily down about six of these a day. This is how Slim Fast should taste. It's the sort of thing that feels like a meal in and of itself, that completely defies logic when you remind yourself that it's still beer.

Another perfect beer from Founders. Still holding out hope that I'll be able to try Canadian Breakfast Stout one day.

10-02-2010 00:26:44 | More by mfunk9786
Onenote81

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Had this beer on-tap at Duckworth's in Charlotte on 9/22/10. Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a tall stemmed-glass. Very thick dark black, with a finger-width mocha colored head on top. Decent globby lacing left behind. The nose was roasted with notes of chocolate powder, coffee, light booze, oatmeal.

Spectacular melding of sweet chocolate and cold coffee. The oats smooth this out. Light hop bitterness on the back end. Excellent mouthfeel. Coats the mouth and palate so thoroughly. Drinkability was extremely high, even given the ABV%. This was such a treat to drink, I happily finished the glass, and would have had another, had I not had to drive back to my hotel later. Amazing beer.

10-01-2010 12:30:23 | More by Onenote81
dubinsky

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into my cognac snifter.

A- Pours pitch black with a 1 finger toffee, caramel colored head. Very viscous pouring out of the bottle. Beautiful swirl on the cap eventually covers the top, leaving very nice lacing.

S - Makes me immediately think of summer camp as a little kid, the smells from the campfire and s'mores. Strong smoke and dark chocolate in the smell, with a hint of molasses. A tiny hint of alcohol esters emanate if i breathe in really deeply.

T - Wow! The taste follows the smell very closely. Smokey and chocolaty. Excellent blend of coffee as well in the flavor. This is close to what i remember the KBS to be like, but less complex in my opinion. Lots of molasses and oats. Sweetness is offset with the right dose of bitterness.

M - Mouthfeel doesn't follow the pour. Rather it's silky and really smooth. Not as heavy and thick as i expected it to be. Light to medium carbonation. Great warming effect.

D - Very easy to drink for a beer with this high an ABV. Founders, you did it again. Cant wait to enjoy it again soon. Just wish it was more readily available to me in California.

09-30-2010 03:59:49 | More by dubinsky
mynameisbuzz

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a deep, tar black, with a healthy brown head. Good lacing on the glass as well.

Smells like chocolate covered oatmeal with a hot coffee.

Great balance for a stout. Real heavy with tastes of chocolate and coffee dominating. Ends with an acidic hop bite, which was surprising and welcomed.

Real thick feel in the mouth and the oatmeal presence is most felt in the mouthfeel.

Overall, one of the most drinkable imperial stouts I've ever had. Great job again by Founders.

09-30-2010 00:04:54 | More by mynameisbuzz