Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,161
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A - Pretty much the same as KBS with slightly paler head. The brew is completely black with no translucency. 1/4" tan/off-white head with moderate retention.

S - Unlike the KBS in which chocolate and bourbon dominate, coffee and slight chocolate undertones are at work here.

T - Very smooth for a stout. Similar to the aroma, coffee beans and dark chocolate are the stars of the show. Slight sweetness is present, but it is overwhelmed by the coffee and hoppy bitterness.

M - Uh...feels great in my mouth! The coffee and chocolate really soothe and coat the tongue in a way that most stouts don't. The aftertaste fades pretty fast making you all the more eager for more.

O - A fantastic stout and definitely one of the best I've had. Side-by-side with KBS...I prefer the KBS, but with no intention of belittling this solid brew.

biggied, Apr 12, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a pitxh black with a finger of head in my duvel tulip. Leaves lots of thick lacing along the way. Nose is a quick faint with of milk chocolate quickly turning bittersweet, spiced cofee along with some mexican cinnamon and all spice. Taste is a beautiful mix of milk/dark/bittersweet chocolate in the order, very complex, dark roasted coffee beans, freshly ground cloves and cinnamon with a hint and breakfast cereal , finishing with bitter hops married to the chocolate notes. Very excited i was able to finally have this great beer.

Trilogy31, Apr 10, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -2%

12oz bottle pulled out of my cellar with bottled on date 9/17/10, poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/9/11

A: Opens with a loud pop, pours pitch black with fluffy light brown head leaving some lacing on glass.

S: Coffee dominates the smell with hints of chocolate and malt. No hop aroma to be found. Slightly bitter from the coffee. Yum

T: Wow, this is absolutely delicious, sweet with lots of chocolate, coffee and roasted malt . Enough hop bitterness to keep it perfectly balanced, kudos to you Founders.

M: Velvety smooth like an oatmeal stout should be, a slight tingle on the tip of my tongue from the light carbonation. Medium-full body with absolutely no detectable shapness anywhere to be found, perfect.

O: This is so delicious, I would definitely be buying this by the case if it were available locally. Perfect blend of coffee, chocolate, oatmeal, and malt. Founders, you really know how to make a stout.

Azurescens, Apr 10, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Decided to pick up a 4 pack I saw in a dark fridge, wanted to see how it was with a little age on it. Bottled on: 9/24/2010

Appearance: Poured into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary bulb glass. Pours with a 1 finger frothy looking khaki colored head. During the pour the beer looks more brown and ruby than black but once it is in the glass no light can penetrate.

Smell: As soon as I popped the cap on the bottle, about 3 feet from my face I could smell the coffee! It was very pungent. Upon further sniffing I catch the chocolate. The strength of the scents is a little subdued compared to fresh Breakfast Stout, but they are really not shy here.

Taste: A lot of the coffee flavor has disappeared, as compared to it fresh. More noticable chocolate but most likely only because of how much coffee flavor has disappeared. There is a very slight sourness on the back end of the sip, I dont want to call it sour, maybe a little tart? Very subtle. I will certainly re-review this one fresh next year.

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth and creamy. The creaminess is a great feeling and perfect given the style.

Overall: More chocolaty then when fresh, and I love chocolate stouts, moreso than coffee stouts. However, I think this beer is best enjoyed when fresh, or at least within the first 3 months after the brew date. I think the coffee fading provides some kind of off flavor that I am not a fan of.

OddNotion, Apr 08, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +8%

the only thing i didnt like, there was no head. other than that it had a nice moca colored ring that never went away and plenty of lacing till the end. rich coffee smells, thick yet creamy on the tongue. what is not to like about this beer? nothing i will definatley buy more in the future.

match1112, Apr 08, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle...

A- Black. One finger head that disappears rather quickly. Leaves a slight lace around the glass.

S- Coffee, chocolate, roasted scents. Sweet malty oats with some dried fruit scents, almost like a prune.

T- Roasted coffee with some sweetness in the middle that finishes with a nice bitter aftertaste. A slight warmth from the alcohol. Oatmeal is also slightly there.

M- Expected his to be a bit heavier bodied, but still a heavy beer, with lighter carbonation. Slight warming alcohol sensation.

D- Excellent beer here. Really smooth for such a dark beer. Simple and elegant. I will definitely be purchasing this brew again. Great job here.

Cheers!

ccm414, Apr 07, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip

jet black body with a 1 finger mocha colored head.

S: Wonderful notes of toffee mixed with strong coffee and chocolate.

T: big bold coffee flavor with hints of toffee in the front, finished with a rich chocolate taste that lingers.

M: thick, coating and oily, very pleasent and extremely enjoyable.

O: and excellent beer that I wish I had access to in CA.

GuruDel, Apr 06, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

Aroma: Chocolate, Coffee, Toffee and roasted malts

Appearance: Very dark brown and opaque with a thick creamy brown head

Taste: Tastes of coffee and chocolate with just the right amount of bitterness, balanced well with malty sweetness

Mouthfeel: Thick and a little chewy, mild carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a very delicious brew, and could easy drink a couple of these.

Notes: This is a seasonal brew (Sept-Dec) from Founders which I was fortunate enough to try both in the bottle and on tap. Brewed with imported chocolates along with kona and sumatra coffee, this is a coffee-lovers stout. This is a pretty easy to find brew in the South Bend-Mishawaka-Elkhart area, and certainly worth giving a try.

thebeerisgood, Apr 05, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -2%

Doing a side by side with Terrapins Wake and Bake.Poured into a Founders snifter,I let this sit out about 20 minutes before I cracked it.I definately think it takes alot away if it's to cold.

A. Black no light through this one at all,1 finger light tan head that dissapates rather quickly.Leaves no lacing on my glass.Carbonation is decent with agressive pour but leaves quickly.

S. Coffee bomb! Tons of coffee that fills the nose,also lots of milk chocolate after the extreme coffee. Getting some oats in the back,I don't get much more in this one.

T. What you smell is what you get here. Spot on with the smell,lots of coffee,chocolate,oats and some biterness in the end.Alchohol is very well hidden.

M. Nice medium feel very smooth,nice semi heavy feel on the tounge,little carbonation stings the pallet.

Overall I love this beer! It's one of my favorite easy abtained beers.I just can't get enough of the over the top coffee and chocolate in this.I will say between the two,Breakfast stout and Wake and bake,Both the two best I have tried in there class, Founders is the one I prefer.I recommend doing the side by side if you can.

Marty30, Apr 05, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours black as the blackest, with a low frothy brown head, didnt leave much lacing

Smell is pretty much just coffee maybe a little nuttiness

Taste: Roasted big time, stong coffee, choclate and vanilla together in a good way, nutty and plenty of alcohol comes through. Oatmeal taste comes out as it warms up. Quite good

Creamy and heavy, slick and wonderful

A very good beer overall, Ill save some and update this at 6 and 12 months hopefully to compare with how they age.

Imsothirsty, Apr 05, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: Black, black, black with an off-white head. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Like a pack of stale coffee. That may sound like a slam but I think it's impressive for a several month old bottle of beer. There's also a very vague whiff of alcohol.

Taste: Black coffee; UHT milk; very dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: A little fizzier than I'd prefer, nor as thick as I like my imperial stouts, but it goes down easy.

An excellent beer, albeit not the transcending experience I'd been led to expect.

ImperialStoat, Apr 03, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

these are the sweet benefits of trading beer. thanks larryi86 for hooking it up!

a - dark dark brown with such a sweet creamy finger thick head. tan and frothy.

s - so damn wonderful. coffee, mocha, vanilla, slightly earthy. like a gourmet bakery and coffee shop

t - so rich. reasonably rich. the smell lives up to the taste ten fold. a lotta oats, nutty flavors and chocolate chocolate chocolate! the aftertaste is extremely well balanced. no shitty coffee aftertaste, nothing bitter, just perfection.

m - so smooth and creamy. a perfect amount of carbonation for a stout. lingering goodness.

o - definitely on the top of my list as far as stouts go. the balance of flavor is wonderful. so bummed i cant get this is california. who wants to trade?

alenonbeeradv, Apr 03, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +10%

Poured into stout glass.

Appearance: Thick and black with a creamy thin two fingers of tan head. Decent amount of lacing.

Smell: Strong coffee and chocolate aroma with some oatmeal and roasted malts. Smells just like an iced coffee.

Taste: Strong coffee flavor with some bitter dark chocolate and roasted malts. Solid presence of oats throughout. Hints of hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant bitterness and thickness. Very drinkable.

Overall: An outstanding stout. One of the best in the world.

MattyG85, Apr 02, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Thick dark pour. Complex profile that blends together several surprisingly non-conflicting tastes at once including dark bitter chocolate, malty grains, molasses, burnt toast, licorice, and a hint of raspberry. Challenging to identify all the flavors -- I will need to taste again to compare notes. Great creamy mouthfeel.

Katulus7, Apr 02, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Poured thick and blackish brown with one finger of dark mocha head. The head slowly dissipated leaving respectable lacing as I drank.

S: Tons of perfect coffee and dark chocolate. Oats and a mild sweetness that I cant identify - maybe molasses?

T: An excellent ride that begins with a smooth but powerful roasted coffee flavor. Huge dark chocolate and more coffee. The sweetness really comes through in the middle and I get flavors of oatmeal and roasted malts then back to coffee. Dry finish with a nice mild alcohol warmth.

M: Full and bordering on chewy but not there.

O: Excellent execution. Nearly perfect. I liked how dark and roasty this beer was. Very easy to drink.

legalpete19340, Mar 31, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -2%

A: Opaque brown coffee like body with fairly thin tan head. Resulting lace is sticky and quick to dry.

S: Heavy coffee and chocolate with slight hint of alcohol. Carmelly sweet smell as well.

T: One of the best stouts I've ever had. So close to perfect in almost every aspect - great representation of described flavors and super smooth for an 8.3ABV. Definitely a reason to make you want to get up and have a beer.

M: Thick and smooth - just as you'd expect. Almost creamy.

O: One of my favorite beers in a while. Really great flavor and smoothness. The high ABV probably makes this a 1 or 2 beer deal, but for a morning beer to knock the cobwebs off, or for a little desert after a big meal, this one is a winner!

henryd30, Mar 30, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to BgThang for this extra. Poured into my Surly pint glass. Deepest of space black. No highlights at all. I tried to pour this a little aggressive but sill only ended up with a one finger coco colored head. Didn't stay around long either.

The smell is dark roasted malts that come out as a coffee smell (imagine that!!??) Some sweetness and I kinda just caught a hint of ash or smoke? No alcohol really present. As it warmed I was able to get some dark chocolate smells.

Oh the taste is definitely smokey. The coffee flavor is so roasted I think I'm getting just smoke. Don't get me wrong, the coffee taste is good but I think a little over roasted. I can't get much chocolate, or anything else to be blunt. Wow.. as this warms it is becoming much better. Mellows out quite a bit. Roast calms down a ton. Getting a bit of a tart taste too. Warmth is good!!

The mouth is very silky and luscious. Quite soft and full, but like the rest of the review, this one is much better left alone for 20 or so minutes. After it warmed up a bit it became even more rich and silky. Alcohol warms the throat and belly.

I was initially not very happy with this and could only think of how over hyped this beer was. As it warmed thought it became a bit more complex and enjoyable but still isn't the great beer I expected it to be. It is though pretty damn good and is surely worth a try!!

azdback, Mar 29, 2011

Very nice appearance with a nice caramel color head.

The smell is all over the place on this thing with coffee being the dominate factor. Also there are chocolate and vanilla There is also a hint of alcohol in the noise as well.

The taste is very smooth with a nice coffee front in with the bite of the hops and alcohol on the back end.

The mouthfeel is creamy carbonation goodness.

This is a stellar beverage

vw73182, Mar 29, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Dreadnaught33, had this 1 other time in 2009 thanks to thereaper16. Very glad I got another one to revisit this beer.

A - This beer looks amazing. Pours very dark with just a very slight amber edge when held up to the light. Creamish tan head about a finger and half thick that fades to a halo around the this beauty. Leaves a foam residue around the edge of the glass for the entire life of this joy in my tulip.

S - Smelling coffee and chocolate right off the bat, quite a bit of alcohol on the nose.

T - Closely related to the smell, coffee and a chocolate with a refreshing bitterness, slight oatmeal that wasn't picked up on the nose. Not tasting any of the alcohol burn I expected to get from the smell of her.

M - This was perhaps my favorite part of the beer other then the apperance. The mouthfeel of this beer represents the style almost perfectly to me. It has a thickness to it but is extremely drinkable. Enjoying for dessert right now but I could easily drink this with dinner, for dessert or with breakfast.

O - See above, I would drink this with every meal. More then satisfied and defenitly worth a very solid A.

BdubleEdubleRUN, Mar 28, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours very dark brown and settles pitch black with a fingers worth of dark mocha head. Looking beautiful. Sticky lacing is present as well.

The nose is coffee dominant with bitter chocolate resonating throughout. A light hop smell along with a bit of booze is almoat hidden underneath the breakfast aromas.

The taste of this brew is outstandingly balanced first off. Coffee and bitter dark chocolate meld together nicely with some sweet malt and a crisp bitter finish. Delicious to say the least.

The mouth feel is very pleasant and coats the palate with a velvety breakfast smackdown. Just enough carbonation makes this brew mouth friendly and pretty damn comfy :)

Overall, i love this brew more each time I have one and find its chracteristics to be not only tasty, but satisfying and sophisticated as well

ChugginOil, Mar 23, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was very excited to try this for the first time, and to be honest, it wasn't entirely my bag.

The beer poured thick and very dark brown (almost black) with a gorgeous frothy tan head with big bubbles.

The nose was the winning feature for me. It was a stunning coffee and chocolate explosion. It almost reminded me of a warm bowl of oatmeal with mocha covering it. Really pretty and right on the money with what I was hoping for.

The taste was a little disappointing for me. Perhaps it was the hype that everyone has for this beer, but it wasn't amazing for me. It had a thick, goopy mouthfeel that felt a little off balance for me. It was a little too bitter and I really tasted the alcohol. The carbonation was great, really helping to cut the bitterness, but it still felt too hot for me.

Overall, I was not super impressed. I get why people like the beer, but it's not my thing. I don't think I'll be buying this again, but I wouldn't fight it if I had to drink it again.

ambluhm, Mar 22, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Beer is black in colour (surprise surprise) with a fairly thick layer of tan head.

The most predominant smell is coffee, with lots of chocolate present as well. Both scents are rather bitter

The taste is just like the smell. Mainly coffee, but with generous amounts of chocolate present as well. The coffee is most noticeable at the beginning, with the chocolate occupying the finish. Oatmeal is noticeable as well, not surprisingly. The chocolate flavour is not particularly sweet- think dark chocolate. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is great. Fairly full bodied, but lighter than I would have expected from an imperial stout. Very moderate carbonation, pretty perfect.

Very drinkable beer. The alcohol is quite hidden and it tastes great. My bottle is moving quickly!

jrenihan, Mar 18, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

2010 vintage courtesy of beerbeerbeerbeer (who sent me one out of the blue just because I said I hadn't had it yet!), poured into a pint glass.

A: Absolutely pitch black with no translucence whatsoever. Poured with a 1" mocha colored head that faded but provided some sheet lacing.

S: This may be the best smelling beer I've ever had. Initial smells alternate between chocolate, roasted oatmeal, and coffee. Covering the glass, swirling about, uncovering and then smelling makes it smell like coffee flavored fudge. Absolutely can't wait to taste this beer.

T: While the coffee may have faded out of this a bit, it's still fairly present in the initial taste. Followed up by dark chocolate, oats, roasted malts, and more coffee. As you swallow, the chocolate and coffee fight over your taste buds for what seems like forever. That being said, I'm not detecting *huge* differences between this and the Terrapin WnB I had last night - a fact I'm writing up to the fact that both have aged a bit, meaning the impressive coffee flavors I hear about in FBS have probably faded.

M: Almost oil-like in it's viscosity, with low carbonation. Literally pours down your throat, with impressive flavor the whole way.

O: I have to say, this is a beer that lives up to the hype - and that's with some of it's flavor fading due to age. Even if this tastes extremely comparably to WnB, this will probably become my go-to Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout simply due to the fact that I can buy it locally when it's in season. The fact that it's 8% ABV and you can't taste or smell any of that heat is impresive. For $10/4 pack, you really can't go wrong. This may be my new go-to beer for the winter.

duffcalifornia, Mar 18, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -8.6%

Tasted with KBS...

BeerMaverick, Mar 17, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Refrigerated and then brought back to just about room temp for the tasting. I would recommend this tactic.

Appearance - Poured a jet black motor oil. No way to see through this beer. A moderate head formed that left a small ring with slight lacing. Inviting.

Smell - Big coffee bean nose with some dark chocolate components as well. The bitterness of the hop presence is evident as well.

Taste - Big full-bodied beer. Rich with coffee and bittersweet chocolate components. Some of the boozy qualities come through at the end of the sip. Not as complex and I would have hoped, but a good quality offering not to be overlooked. As previously mentioned, the after-taste is enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - To me, surprisingly smooth for such a coffee-forward offering. I was expecting a much more bitter linger. Not the case. Dense, with an aftertaste that will make you know you have just had a Breakfast stout. I think the oatmeal very much adds to the overall body of this beer, as expected. Also gives it a smoothing quality. The carbonation really doesn't provide much of an addition, this appears to be "all beer".

Drinkability - A solid offering. Put this over a barrel and you have a damn fine offering. On it's own, I think it's a good example of the style on par with other newcomers.

Nesued, Mar 16, 2011