Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,623
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 14,408 | Reviews: 3,601

Poured from bottle into imperial glass. This is a special review and a beer Ive wanted to get ahold of for quite some time.

Poured a motor oil black with a one-finger mocha-colored head. Totally opaque...no light penetration whatsoever. Poured very smooth, as expected.

Aroma is that of black coffee up front with hints of dark chocolate, roasted malts, and oat. Smelled absolutely immaculate.

Wow! The taste follows the nose. Black coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, and some oatiness. Little bit of bitterness too on the back end. This is just amazing. At 8.3% ABV, there is no hint of alcohol whatsoever. If you like coffee, this is right down your alley. Breakfast in a bottle...

One word...rich. The mouthfeel is creamy, thick, and velvety smooth going down. Definitely a full-bodied brew, but it offers superb drinkability. I had to stop myself from drinking this heavenly nectar too fast so I could savor it, but its just that friggin' good!

Overall this is the best stout, and to date, the best beer I have ever had, period. I have never given a perfect score to a beer on here before, but this one gets it from me. Very refreshing to see a much ballyhooed beer live up to its enormous hype. If you like stouts, drink this. It will change your life forever. Its that good. Thank you to Founders for this amazing take on an imperial stout. Now if I could only score some KBS and CBS...

This is one of the beers that turned me onto craft beer. Very available 4 packs. Still amazing.

Normally I don't like declaring one thing my "favorite," be it a movie, a song, a book or whatever. My tastes just vary so much from year to year and even day to day. That said, Founders Breakfast Stout is my favorite beer. Hands down. It is the beer that got me into stouts. It is the beer that got me away from that devil drink called wine. It rekindled my love affair with craft brews, coffee and even the diseased whore's mitten that is the state of Michigan, a perpetual thorn in the side of common decency and God's favorite state in the Union, my home, the Buckeye state of Ohio.

Breakfast Stout saved my life.

Well no, not really, but it is very good. Every fall my girlfriend and I call up the local liquor store every few days until they say it's in.. Then we go and buy it pretty much every time we get beer until it runs out (so like once a week). Lately we've been buying multiple four-packs at a time because it seems to get more popular and run out quicker every year. I would implore Founders to make this a year round thing, though that might take away from the "specialness" of it. Really, I'd just hope they make more next year.

So what is the actual experience like?

Ineffable.

You'll just have to go out and try it for yourself. The only things I can really say are that it's thick like crude oil with a strong-but-not-too-strong coffee flavor. It will coat your mouth and warm you heart. Honestly, it's just that good. It will open your eyes. It will change your mind, your life, your very soul. It was. It is. It will always be. It is the alpha and the omega. It was there at my first love of stouts, and it will be there at the end of my liver.

Breakfast Stout is one of those rare drinks that pleases everyone. My girlfriend and I have very different beer tastes, but we can both agree that this is the best beer human beings have yet to offer. I feel like high school me, modern me, my mom, my grandfather, my grandmother, my dad, Barack Obama and Rush Limbaugh could all love this beer.

There is no other. Thou shalt put no other beers before me (if it's in season and the bar serves it, of course).

My local bar gets a single keg of KBS a single time per year. Much to my chagrin and eternal shame, I have yet to try it because it sells out in literally two hours, which is pretty much how long it takes to drain a keg by just holding down the tap. I shit you not, this year my girlfriend and I are taking off work and camping out at the bar to ensure we are a part of that two hours. I know it sounds crazy, but you just haven't tried the dream, the vision, the spiritual experience that is Breakfast Stout. Like the crack cocaine, one taste and you'll be hooked. Just try it. Everybody's doing it.

It's true, this is a perfect stout. It has a bold and balanced flavor and aroma of smooth strong coffee. It pours well and has a rich and surprisingly smooth mouthfeel. Overall, I could have one of these as a treat or enjoy a leisurely session any time!

As a former Midwesterner, I've had my share of Founders. Everything they brew is amazing. Even when I moved to Seattle -- one of the great beer spots in the US -- I missed it. Breakfast Stout is a big reason why. And now I have my hands on it again.

I won't go beer nerd on you. I will just tell you this beer is outstanding. It's exactly what it says it is: a Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout. And it's perfect. Not too much of anything. Easily the best stout I've ever had. It's just as good in the bottle as I remember it from the source.

Stout lovers, get this beer... at any cost.

Walked into Armaneti's on Lincoln to see if there was anything new...and what did I see? Cases of Founders Breakfest Stout staring at me. Must try.

Bottle poured into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A - Thick creamy darkness. As dark as the Dark Lord.

S - Coffee, chicory and maybe my mind is playing games but a bit like cooking bacon. Yumm..

T - Really delicious. I'm not a stout guy but this is really good. Now the chocalate comes but very muted by the coffee.

M - Creamy almost like from a nitro tap. Very low carbonation - excellent.

D - Wow. Granted this is not really an Imperial Stout but the alc still comes in at 8.3. Amazinly easy and pleasurable to drink.

Must say I'm really impressed with this. Had Dark Lord and for the money this is better. Founders makes incredible beer - would love to try the Kentucky Bourbon version.

Poured from a bottle into pint glass
A - jet black pour, small expresso head, lotsa lacing
S - coffee, and chocolate
T - even more coffee and chocolate, and some fruity nights that are hard for me to detect
M - wonderfully smooth
O - absolutely amazing beer, completely lived up to the hype I have heard about it, Not my favourite, or an everyday beer, but possible the best I have ever had

Served on tap in my home bar. As good as it gets. Black as night with a perfect brown head. Smell is of iced coffee and semisweet chocolate. Flavor is roasted but not such that it over powers your palette. Sip it slowly because it gets better as it warms. Make sure to pour into a glass that allows a good whiff with every sip.

The "gold standard" of coffee stouts. perfection. Coffee on the nose, but not too overpowering that the the toasted malt disappears. The taste is simply everything you expect from a balanced stout. The malt characteristics of the stout are nicely balanced with the maltiness of the stout. For anyone looking to brew a perfect breakfast stout, this is what should be used as a guideline (IMHO).

Hands down the best beer I've ever had.

Delicious beer! As good as it gets.

This is my favorite stout by far. One of the best beers ever made. Coffee, chocolate, oatmeal creamyness, and just an incredible flavor.

Tapped into a mug.

Appearance - Medium to deep brown head with solid retention. black body. Good stick.

Smell - Cappuccino. Cinnamon. Coffee. Maybe a mocha. Complex and delicious.

Taste - Explosion of complexity. Iced coffee mocha/cappuccino all the way.

Mouthfeel - Explosive effervescence. No astringency. Somewhat creamy head.

Overall Drinkability - No off flavors whatsoever. Best imperial stout I've had since The Abyss. Maybe even better.

A- Next to black with a dark tan head. Almost impossible to see through. Uh-mazing.

S- Dark chocolate, like the kind my friends brought back from Germany. Coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, oats, almost chocolate milkshake-like. So, so inviting.

T- Everything in the nose plus more. So much that my tongue can't even decipher them all. A bit of an alcohol kick in the end. Unbelievable.

M- Thick, with a perfect amount of carbonation. This beer is hearty enough that it could be breakfast in and of itself. And I don't mean a bowl of Cheerios in the morning. This is hearty like biscuits and gravy, an omelet, bacon, sausage, toast, a muffin, cornbread, quiche, orange juice, and a big glass of milk. A beer that truly lives up to its name.

D- What else can I say? I can't believe I'm giving this all 5's, but I honestly can't find a single thing that could improve with this beer. This is definitely the best stout I've ever tried, if not the best beer. Excellent.

Again, yet another beer by Founders that say's, "we've been doing this for a while".

Is this the best breakfast in town? as long as my wife doesn't read this you bet.

I love coffee and could live on chocalate. Well somehow that's what they stuffed in this bottle.

The mouth feel is silky and rich with classic notes of premium coffee. Everything about this say bold yet ballanced.

Founders has quickly become a safe bet for me. I simply have loved everything I've had from them and this is no exception.

Got a hold of growler from a keg just tapped (last year's brew). Pours super black with little foamy head. Smells like coffee. Tastes like coffee. Is freaking awesome. What else do you want to know? Is more bitter than sweet. Still delicious. Like it even better when it warms up a bit.

This beer is so good, when I buy a 4 pack I don't even wanna drink it because the taste will blow you away.

Notes of this, hints of that, blah blah blah. Man up esthetes. This is likely the best commercial brew you're going to come across for a long time.

None better. I have enjoyed this at the brewery in Grand Rapids as well as poured from the bottle.

I love sharing this beer with friends and watching the expressions on their faces as they enjoy a great breakfast stout.

I hate to jump on the coat-tails of everyone else on this one but that is great stout. Appearance is black with no light getting through, with slight bit of head and lacing. Richest and finest aroma of stout or coffee for that matter that I've had without a doubt.Its like drinking the best chocolate covered coffee bean you could find.THe oatmeal must be there to enrich the flavour even more.Its so good I just wanna sip it.Really I've tried many stouts this is the best! LOve it ! Ready to buy whats left on the shelf. Wait would that be bad beer karma? More like an empty wallet.

My first review so bear with me. Got one of the last 4 packs at Green's in Atlanta. 12 oz bottle with a 9-28-11 bottled on date.

A- Pure black. Big head that lowered after a few minutes. Good lacing.

S- I just said "holy shit." It smells like coffee and chocolate. Almost like a porter but way better. I could smell it when it was sitting far away from me.

T- Tastes like a chocolate/coffee milkshake without the ice cream. Delicious. Best beer I've ever tasted so far.

M - Very Creamy

O - Best beer I've ever had besides CBS. It lives up to the hype.

A - The appearance of FBS is exactly what you'd expect from a coffee/oatmeal imperial stout. You could pour this into a coffee mug and it would look like you're drinking black coffee.

S - Coffee, coffee, vanilla, coffee, roasted malt and coffee.

T - Lovely, complex roasted malts and coffees with a bit of vanilla. Taste develops as it warms. I prefer this beer after letting it sit for about 15 minutes. Fridge cold isn't the way to enjoy it. This is low in ABV for an imperial, so there isn't much boozy burn.

M - Very silky. Think about licking a cone of premium dark chocolate ice cream and you're in the ballpark. This isn't like motor oil in your mouth, but it has a nice, light creaminess to it.

O - There is a reason I bought 3 4-packs of this stuff. I plan on enjoying these well into the fall and hopefully into the winter if I can resist drinking them all.

Poured from bottle into a wide-mouthed chalice

A: Deep black with about half a finger of beautiful light brown head. Head dissipates to some wisps on the surface and a ring

S: Rich dark chocolate, with a hint of malt and caramel sweetness. Very appealing, very inviting. No discernible hop aromas.

T: Chocolate, malt sweetness, no hops taste, except some balance from the bittering hops. Absolutely delicious

M: Creamy, full mouthfeel.

O: An excellent beer. Tastes amazing, looks amazing, and smells amazing. A winner.

Served in a 12oz. Duvel tulip glass.

A: Dark black with a small tan head that dissipates quickly leaves a nice filmy lacing.

S: Wow! Simply wonderful aromas going on here. Getting lots of dark chocolate upfront followed by coffee and roasted malts.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Wonderfully smooth, creamy, chocolaty, malty, and a slight caramel flavor on the backend. Amazing balance going on. Moderate carbonation which is perfect for this style. Could easily drink this for breakfast with some scrambled eggs, a side of bacon, over some maple syrup.

O: This is a very well done stout. You can taste the dedication and effort that founders puts into this beer. Awesome aroma and flavor. Not bitter at all. It packs a little punch at 8.5% ALC but you don't taste it. I am so thankful I live close by founders. One of the worlds top craft brewers in my opinion. Brewed for us!

I obviously really enjoy this beer. I drink stout beer every chance I get and I find myself comparing a lot of them to this beer. The right amount of coffee with the light nuance of dark chocolate makes me a happy beer drinker. I can detect the taste of a fine stout with a smoky undertone.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company