Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,660
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,429 | Hads: 14,496
4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

appearance -- dark. looks very viscous when poured. creampuffy tan head is nice, but doesn't last. belgian lace. burnt mahogany color.

smell -- coffee definitely hits you. followed by chocolate. fruity hoppiness is there, just stepped on by roastiness and chocolate.

taste -- delicious. roasted coffee chocolate milkshake! Just when you think it's too sweet, the bitterness hits you in the form of coffee and hops. It's hard to put down. That's the magic -- it's just so heavy and sweet, but like a true imperial stout, there's a fine share of bitterness.

mouthfeel -- thick, viscous. carbonation is on the lighter end. It's hard to imagine the yeast keeping up with the heavy alcohol of this brew!

drinkability -- for me, this is a once a day night cap beer that can be enjoyed on its own...or with/after dessert. (819 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours thick, dark, delicious. Very, very dense, coffee colored head thats about a finger in thickness. Its not my breakfast but looking at this beer makes me think that if this replaced my morning coffee I'd be okay with that.

Smell is dark chocolate powder, sweet condensed milk, freshly ground coffee, some alcohol notes but overall an absolutely lovely smelling pour.

Taste is exquisite. Very roasty, very very roasty. Lots of bitter chocolate, black coffee, dark roasted malt, burnt toast and brown sugar flavors. So much flavor and taste in this beer. Its a sipper that makes you want a lot of free time to sip about 3-4 of these.

FBS is very smooth drinking. Its high alcohol is hardly noticeable through the rich, flavorful tastes of this stout. I've had this on tap and I'd say out of the bottle its not much different. Both are amazing.

I hope to see more of this on the shelves as I bought the last 4-pack I've seen in the area and 2 of those 4 are going to my bro as a housewarming gift.

Founders, you kick ass! (1,027 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours a pitch black color with a thin dark brown head.

S: Chocolate, espresso, and burnt coffee.

T: Starts with rich milk chocolate and fades to lots of coffee and bitter espresso. Some bitter chocolate in there as well. The oatmeal adds a creamy mix to all of it.

M: Mouthfeel is great; it's rich, smooth, viscous, and very creamy.

D: A top-notch breakfast stout. Bursting with chocolate and coffee that all blends together very well. (502 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Wow! Many thanks to the Trion for serving this on tap.
Poured as black as night, hold this up to the light and you won't see anything, this is a black hole. A nice little coffee w/cream head finishes off a darn good looking beer.
The smells take me to a Costa Rican plantation that grows both chocolate and coffee, this beer smells awesome. Better then awesome, they should bottle this smell and make a perfume out of it.
The chocolate and coffee thunder through in the taste as well, yeah the alcohol is there, but it doesn't offend you at all. As the beer warms, the two notes of chocolate and coffee still dominate but they do make room for hints of spice and oatmeal to meander across your taste buds. I think I would drink this stuff through a straw I enjoyed myself so much.
Typical stout in that it looks really thick but once you get it in your mouth it is pretty light. I wouldn't have more then 2 in an evening but that barely detracts from this beer.
I used to hate stouts, then I started to like them as an occasional treat, then I started to appreciate them as an after dinner delight . . .this beer marks my transition to a full on lover of stouts. This has to be one of the best beers in the world, it is fantastic. (1,233 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

A breakfast beer? I guess you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.

Poured black with a large, dark and thick mud brown head. Great retention and mud splatter lace all over.

Smells like coffee grounds and vanilla.

More coffee than chocolate but both flavors complement each other well. Oaty smoothness, but very, very strong. I love this beer.

Is caffeine from the coffee carry over into the beer? After I drank this I had a ton of energy did an hour of cardio at the gym. (491 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

Dark, tar colored beer poured into a Sam Adams glass. Left a half inch head of thick dense foam. Has a strong smell of roasted malts, coffee. Taste the coffee and oatmeal with a rich malty flavor and left a bitter aftertaste. Feels thick but goes down smooth as water. Overall a great beer. (290 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

From a 12oz bottle.

Appearance - A vigorous pour yielded two fingers of mocha-colored spongy head which hangs respectfully for many minutes in my tulip. Viscosity is apparent as it is poured. Lots of spotty lace on the sides of the glass as I sip.

Smell -Milk chocolate, strong coffee with some dried dark fruit notes. Roasted malt, a bit of toffee-like sweetness and a bit of alcohol (but not at all boozy). Oatmeal is certainly in there, too!

Taste - Chocolate sweetness with a roasty Kona Coffee-like center. Much roasted flavor continues through the finish. A hint of bitterness from the roasted grain is kept in check with the smooth chocolate sweetness. Hops are there, but unobtrusive (unlike some over-hopped American stouts). The oatmeal comes through to help live up the the "breakfast" name. The alcohol is largely hidden from the palate, yet a bit of warmth is apparent as it goes down, even more so as it warms to room temperature.

Mouthfeel -Excellent carbonation and viscocity. Creamy on the tongue. No discernable alcohol burn on the tongue.

Drinkability- Just great. The balance of the sweet chocolaty malt and the roasted grain astringency is just about perfect. While I'm not a "beer for breakfast" guy, I could be persuaded if this stuff was about.

Comments- One of the best stouts I've ever had. Beautifully balanced roasted malt flavor along shines while delivering the coffee/chocolate punch. I'm so pleased that this beer seems to be in better supply lately. (1,490 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours very dark opaque black, dark creamy tan head, lacing on the glass

Smells like chocolate espresso and malts, caramel and alcohol

Tastes like dark chocolate and fresh ground coffee, sweet malts countered with alcohol and a bitter hop finish - delicious

Mouthfeel is viscous, creamy and the bitterness lingers

Drinkability is good for the

Overall, this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted. If you like coffee, stouts or both, you have to get your hands on this! (479 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this while on vacation. It is called breakfast stout so I had it at around 10 in the morning after eggs.

A: Poured thick and jet black with a half a finger of coffee colored head.

S: Hints of chocolate and coffee. Some roast as well. Really just a great smelling beer. You get a hint of the oat in the back as well. Very strong nose.

T: Tons of coffee up front. You can really taste the oatmeal. Bitter in the finish from all the roasted malt.

M: Nice full mouthfeel. Really covers the tongue well.

D: All day. Specifically it probably is better before noon. (567 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +11%

This was poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

The pour was extrememly dark with minimal head and lacing. Getting some brown hue when held up to the light.

The nose is simply perfect: coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted malt.

The taste is superb. Creamy mouthfull and wonderful coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Robust body but extremely smooth. No hint of alcohol.

Overall, an excellent offering. I could drink these all night. (444 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass

Appearance: Jet black pour with a caramel colored 1 finger head which sticks and leaves good amount of lace

Smell: A lot of coffee here, chocolate/caramel undertones

Taste: For a coffee lover it's near perfection, also a smokey chocolate taste with even more of a coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: Exactly what an imperial should feel like, thick as motor oil but smooth as water.

Drinkability: Dangerous, this is as smooth as drinking your morning wake-up cup.

Notes: Wow this is awesome, definitively one of the best I've had. Only one question...should I add milk or half and half...lol (634 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to northyorksammy for this one!
Pours prettymuch lack color with thin tan head. Smell is better - chocolate and coffee, roasted malts. Taste - oatmeal is there for sure, as well as chocolate, I'm not sure about double thugh. It's solid, bitter, tasty huge brew. One of the best Double IS's I ever tried. Rich and thik, perfect carbonation. Drinkable for the style. Alcohol is vell hidden. Great stuff! Another gem from Founders. (435 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a 22 oz imperial pint glass.

A: An oversized glass didn't detract from this beer, I was expecting a large javaeque head, but this wasn't the case. The beer did come from an extremely cold cooler and might have something to do with it.

S: Big whiffs of coffee, sweet chocolate, and cannot detect any alcohol. Not a super warming smell, but really inviting.

T: Less coffee upfront than I was expecting, but a damn good dark bite. The roasted malts begin the journey, we make a stop at the coffee shop, and finish with a bittersweet symphony.

M: Lighter than it looked when I poured, nice semi syrupy feel that doesn't stay stuck on your palate like the stubborn oil stain on your driveway.

D: Drink this whole 4 pack? How persuasive of you. High ABV hidden with this breakfast of champions. (818 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -3.1%

A-Pours dark brown/black color,thin dark brown head.No lacing seen.

S-Smells of rich dark roasted coffee.If you try hard enough you can pick out some dark fruit aromas but the coffee still wins.Slight alcohol scent as it warms.

T-First taste is dark malts but quickly gives way to a nice dark coffee flavor then a bitterness similar to a dark chocolate.Great coffee aftertaste that blends well with both hops and malts.

M-Silky smooth,low carbonation.I was expecting a full body but was much lighter than that.

D-Never would I have thought that coffee and beer could blend so well together.I could sip on this all night and as the name implies all morning as well! (668 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9.2%

Founders Breakfast Stout, on tap at the Flying Saucer, Charlotte, NC. Served in a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: A solid black abyss of a beer surging underneath one tan finger of foamy head of indeterminate retention - not sure whether to blame that upon the beer or the somewhat slow bartendress/hostess (in a rather revealing schoolgirl outfit, though I'll try not to let that influence my review). The lacing is sparse, speckly, and erupts occasionally from the surface to creep up the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Smoke (or is that the bar?), toast, and wholesome malt notes, with sweet cocoa emerging upon agitation. Coffee becomes more prominent as it warms. "Breakfasty" sums it up in about word. Definitely improves as it warms, with toast and coffee coming through more strongly.

Taste: Slightly milky coffee, toast, wholesome oat notes, and cocoa come through strongly up front, very pleasantly balanced. Truly, each component here is about on equal footing, they're all pungent, authentic, and make for a great combination with one another.

Mouthfeel: Medium to big effervescence out of the keg, with a very medium-thickness body, though perhaps light for the style. The carbonation makes this one fluffy, smooth, and remarkably even. Best aspect of this beer, and the one improvement over the bottled version.

Drinkability: A little better out of the bottle, I think, which is unusual as I've heard this one is best fresh, straight out of the keg. Previous observations stand - alcohol is nowhere to be detected and isn't prohibitive for the style, and the flavors are nice and well-balanced, but there just seemed to be something lacking here. (1,675 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz brown bottle with twist off cap...the label's awesome, it's got a kid with a massive bowl of oatmeal on the front and informs me that this is a double-chocolate stout with oats and coffee.

Appearance: Pitch black, utterly dense and viscous liquid with a thin dark tan soapy film on top.

Smell: FRESH brewed coffee, backed with light chocolate notes.

Taste: Fresh bitter coffee, sharp grainy roastiness, and notes of bittersweet chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth from the oats.

Drinkability: HIGH for the abv.

Conclusion: This is a GREAT coffee stout...but there's not as much of the oats or the chocolate as I would have liked...that alone keeps this from being world class. (698 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz bottle into a Penn Pilsner imperial pint glass. The label depicts a ugly child with an eating problem, he may need to hit the gym in a year or two though.

A- Founders Breakfast Stout pours out of the bottle with a mixture of jet black, and reddish/light brown highlights. Once fully in the glass, a pitch blach body is present with no light able to come through. The head is nothing much (1/2 finger) as dots of tan head are seen in the middle with a thin 360 degree circle around the glass. No lace.

S- Mucho coffee up front followed by more coffee. Once I got around that I smelled bittersweet chocolate and some oatmeal grainy goodness. some sweet chocolate is there but is masked by the scents.

T- I'm not a big coffee guy but FBS sure packs it in the taste with what I am sure to be many different coffee types. Good coffee too, not the cheap stuff in my lunchroom at work. Very pungent. To get the maximum chocolate from this, wait till warm temp and taste, as it melds seamlessly with the coffee. Much oat is also detected and a added bonus to this bouquet. A milky creaminess follows while the malt/hop factor is there but almost non existent. A nice change from a lot of beers i've had recently.

M- Thin in the beginning, thick towards the tail end. Not much carb. As FBS warms the mouth feel begins to become more pronounced. FBS feels like drinking a cold coffee in the beginning to me, but as it warms the chocolate and malts that are present remind me that i am in fact drinking beer, with a very slight alcohol burn, again very slight.

D- This is a very drinkable coffee stout and I could of had 30 oz in a sitting. I'm going to pour two into a huge glass next time. I can see this brew being very accessible to unsuspecting people at a party.

My 2nd favorite coffee stout right under Canada's Peche Mortel. A bit tastier on tap. I could drink this at any time during the day and come to think of it, I have, I think i have a problem !!! (1,963 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -9.6%

Served on-tap at Monk's Cafe, in Philadephia.

A- Pours jet black with a thick dark brown head that laces my glass. Very opaque, and no light escapes.
S- Coffee. Lots of coffee with a bit of toffee sweetness. Smells just like breakfast, but better.
T- More coffee and a lot of milkly sweetness. A bit of chocolate shines through as well. Very tasty.
M- Silky smooth, almost creamy and lush. Not sure what else to say.
D- Dear lord give me more. I could drink this all night long. I really wish I could get this in Georgia.

Overall, one of the better coffee Imperial Stouts I've had. I highly recommend this if you stumble across it.
5, 4.5, 5, 4, 5
****
****
After having an aged (6-8 months) bottle of this I feel the need to re-review. What was a delectible beer fresh, has now turned into a rather stale and bitter version of it's former self. Appearance is similar, but now with less head. Smell is not as sweet and the coffe has died down a bit. Taste has gown down quite a bit, and I get a pronounced coffee bitterness that wasn't there before. Mouthfeel isn't as creamy and smooth as it was before. Overall, a great fresh beer that hasn't aged gracefully.
4.5, 3.5, 3, 3.5, 3.5

***I've updated my score to reflect an "average" of the two ratings.*** (1,264 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to vwcraig for the opportunity to try this.

Appearance is a thick, oily, viscous liquid. Dark as night. The head was about one finger, mocha colored, and thin, disappating into a few islands. When swirling the glass a little this liquid looks extremely thick.

The nose is roasted coffee up front and a creamy scent. No trace of alcohol. Very nice.

Taste is accurate to the name, a nice sip of a great amount roasted coffee beans, milk, and a medium sweet malty sensation in the background. Leaves a fantastic coffee aftertaste; I wish I had a real coffee that tasted this good.

Mouth is good, this isn't nearly as thick as it looks when pouring it. Carbonation is medium, body is medium. No heat feeling. Very creamy.

Drinkability is phenominal, I wish this were easier to get around this area. (807 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -0.4%

I thought I had already reviewed this so when I realized I hadn't I dipped into my stash for this one.

Poured into a Duvel glass FBS pours a deep jet black with a dark full tan head. This beer looks much richer and thicker than it feels in the mouth.

The aroma is off roasted coffee, oats, and general roastiness. Smells like breakfast alright!

The taste is amazing. The coffee is first, there is little in the way of hops, but then an extremely rich malt background comes forth. Massive creaminess not felt in the mouthfeel sneak up and deliver a great finish.

The mouthfeel is very light compared to the appearance - at least until the finish. In the finish you can feel a much richer body. Also, as this beer warms from 45 to 55 degrees the body thickens and becomes much hardier.

I would call this very drinkable for the style. It is exactly like an oatmeal stout despite its potency this beer is very smooth (alcohol is very well hiden) and I think I could at least try to drink this all day. Excellent brew. (1,019 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

a - poured a one finger thick dark coffee-colored head into a goblet. poured thick and block like motor oil. left a nice ring and lace throughout.
s - coffee and oatmeal.
t - coffee, oatmeal and dry chocolate.
m - thick and coating with a slight bubbly feel yet was really clean.
d - unbelievably good. top notch beer. (318 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Outstanding. Finally got ahold of some from Marty's in Newton, MA. Dan is The Man there. Founders BS is everything I expected it to be. A dark pour, good foam, deliciously complex nose, excellent taste with multiple undertones of fruit, nuts, and coffee. And a brickhouse of a body. Not something you could drink in a session, so I gave it a lower drinkability score, but otherwise a prime choice for a winter brew. (415 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4.3%

GLASS: Oversized Wine Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
Ultra thanks to eddiebo for the hook-up with this one!

Black. Totally black. Slight touch of dark crimson at the extreme edges, when backlit. No head to speak of, just a slight filmy covering of loose, tiny bubbles. Lacing is actually okay, despite the lack of a head.

Fresh ground, fresh roasted, dark coffee beans. Nice notes of dark chocolate. Deep, dark roasted maltiness. Hints of vanilla sweetness.

Sweet maltiness out front. Dark chocolate in the middle. Finishes with the taste of ground coffee beans. Slight sweetness of vanilla and maple syrup.
If you don't like black coffee, stay away.

Mouthfeel is sufficiently thick and almost oily. Not quite as 'big' as I was expecting, though. Not quite creamy enough, for me.

Taste wise, this is totally drinkable. The body is a minor letdown, as I'd gladly drink many more of these.
The very well-hidden 8.3%ABV will sneak up on you, though. (961 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -7.8%

Sampled in November

A-Black,opaque appearance with a tan head. Good head retention.

S-Initial coffee aroma followed by some roast malt. I picked up a hint of vanilla. No hop aroma.

T-Initially malty sweet, with a big up-front java flavor. Malt backbone comes through along with moderate bitterness. No hop flavor.

M-Medium body with low-med carbonation. Minimal warming.

D-Great beer and smooth...A bit too much coffee for my taste, but still a good drinker... (466 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not quite its kin "Kentucky Breakfast", but a damn fine beer. Pours to a burnt coffee black, with thick tan head hat dissipated fairly quickly and left decent lacing. Immediate nose of coffee, vanilla, chocolate and toffee, all blended together. As the beer warms around mid-glass, the 8.3 abv rolls nicely into the mix as well. Mouthfeel is full and sweet, with a hint of spiciness. Taste is truly a pleasure, as each of the ingredients in the nose take turns dancing ont the tongue, with the alcohol rounding them all up for a long warming finish.

Most enjoyable. (566 characters)

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company