Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,622
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 14,405 | Reviews: 3,599
4.12/5  rDev -8.8%

Purchased a single 12 ounce bottle at Piccolo's Wine Shop for $4.25. Pours thick and black with a dark brown head. Very strong coffee aroma. Tastes of coffee with chocolate undertones. Nice solid mouth feel. I enjoyed this stout. I certainly lives up to the hype.

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

2008 vintage served in my DFH snifter. Poured an opaque black with a half inch mocha-colored head that quickly settled into a soapy swirl. A band of foam coalesced around the shoulders of the glass. Some lacing present during the tasting, but weak legs. Nose is coffee beans, brown sugar, malt and a grapefruit sweetness (weird and out of place, but I picked it up nonetheless). Taste follows nose as well as oats. Mouthfeel is medium and lightly effervescent. Could have had a little more body for the style. Finish was also a bit chalky. All and all, easy drinking and flavorful without being overly sweet. Alcohol was well-hidden. I'd make this a staple if it were more readily available. This beer definitely lived up to my expectations.

4.34/5  rDev -4%

Pours a completely black, oil color. There is very little carbonation that creates a thin, brown colored lace atop the crew.
Smell has a very strong coffee bean smell to it. There is also a good amount oats in the smell and a bit of chocolate also.
Taste is very strong with the fresh coffee beans and oats. Chocolate malts are prevalent with a good hop taste at the end of the sip.
Mouthfeel has a nice smoothness with a very thin liquid. Leaves a bit of a chewiness in the mouth.
Drinkability is very nice for such a complex beer. There is a good amount of coffee and oat and chocolate, but the subtle hop flavors are what keep the malts from overpowering your tastebuds. Very nice combination of tastes and a beer that would be great for any occassion, especially on a nice cold weather day.

4.7/5  rDev +4%

A- Pitch black with 2" of milk chocolatey head; very fluffy and pillowy. The lacing is very thick down the sides of my large snifter. The perfect glass to welcome the expected outstanding beer in. I have had a lot of stouts but this one looks exceptional the way it threw up the nice head.

S- Very sweet from the malts. Chocolate malt, coffee malt, light black patent. Very creamy, caramel like, roasty, smoky, and a nice scent of brown sugar spiced oatmeal. The alcohol warms you if inhaled deeply, but well hidden if you are not digging so deep. This is one of the most amazing, welcoming smells I have ever witnessed in a beer.

T- Following closely to the nose with all the same malts. The smoke is a little more pronounced in the taste and is quite welcome to add to the balance of the sweetness. Very milky and creamy, like coffee that has been sweetened and a splash of creamer thrown in. The coffee lingers around in the end adding to the complexity. No alcohol to speak of in the taste; super well hidden for sure.

M- Thick and creamy like a bowl of oatmeal. The carbonation is quite high for the style, but I like it just fine.

D- Off of the charts for me. This is one amazing beer. I seriously could drink this beer all day on a cold, winter day. However, I think you would not make it very long with the punch this baby hits you with. Absolutely AMAZING!

To be fair, I matched this beer with dinner this evening; breakfast food. It consisted of: Biscuits and Gravy (an old Southern thing), scrambled cheese eggs, sausage, and bacon. Whether or whether not it was the food making this beer taste so damn good, I don't know, but I will say the pairing was PERFECT and I recommend it to anyone on a cold fall or winter evening.

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

Conservative pour into Grand Marnier snifter produces a very tiny head which vanishes quickly leaving a coffee ice cream colored ring around the edges which seems to last throughout the entire glass.

A- Pitch black color with a quality consistency. I attempted to shine a keychain flashlight through the liquid, But just as I thought there was no shining through whatsoever.

S- Coffee! And tons of it. No this isn't your typical supermarket crap or Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks etc. This is some super kick ass coffee!!! I am starting to pickup a mild Mocha smell but the chocolate is very subtle, which harmonizes quite nicely with the exteme Java smell. Grinds and a touch of alcohol round out the nose of this tasty elixir.

T&M- Bitter dark chocolate, molasses, powdered cocoa & oats all match up well with the extreme Java rush. Mouthfeel is a little thick. Brief sweetness mid palate leaving a roasted creamy finish.

D-Quite good actually. It wouldn't be a problem consuming two of these consecutively.

I was lucky enough to find this the other day, So i picked up a couple of four packs.
(Glad I DID!!) An all around exceptional beer and well worth picking up if you haven't tried it.

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

My 400th review.

A pair of bottles, as shown, courtesy of shbobdb: one from 2005 and one from 2007. Side-by-side.

Upon pouring, the difference was obvious: the 2005 produced a huge head -- I couldn't get the whole 12-ounce bottle into my pint glass -- while the 2007 produced only a small cap. Both left ample lacing, however, bespeaking a pretty thick beer. Both had absolutely opaque brown-black body. Head was the same color: dark tan-yellow and tight.

The foundational aroma was pretty much the same for both: espresso, molasses, hoar-hound drop, rich oatmeal-cookie-dough. The 2007 had a sharper smell, however, with more citrus and pine hops evident, and a bit of ripe olive. The 2005 was notably more mellow, with softer and sweeter chocolate in evidence.

Taste was a bit of a let-down for both. Not as strong as the aroma. Espresso was there, along with molasses, and mild chocolate. The 2007 naturally had more hop presence than the 2005, but very little rich-oatmeal-cookie dough. The 2005 was much smoother.

Mouthfeel was also thinner than I was expecting for both, with the 2005 being marginally richer than the 2007.

Drinkability was good on both.

Overall, a worthy beer for review #400. Not nearly as good as the Kentucky Breakfast Stout, but still pretty fine. Thanks again to shbobdb for the mini-vertical. Fascinating experience.

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Pitch black. Chocolate-colored head fades to a long-lasting ring.

Smells strongly of coffee, dark chocolate, and burned wood.

I am not a coffee drinker, but this is nice. Dark chocolate, coffee, wood, and burned wood. A delicious stout.

Silky mouthfeel coats the mouth a bit, and furthers the impression of a finely-crafted brew.

Wow, this is a nice beer.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

This beer exploded out of the bottle. Could only pour half of the beer in the glass due to the HUGE head. Pours black with that huge brown head. Tons of lacing. Great head retention...like a brown marshmellow sitting on top. Amazing to look at.

Aroma of dark chocolate and coffee. Certain sweetness comes through.

Taste is of chocolate and coffee. Light bitterness. Very tasty combo. Light bitterness at the end. Some sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, cleansing, smooth and creamy.

Overall, an outstanding beer. Very drinkable and delicious.

3.92/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Dark as night. thick head dissipated after a minute or two

S - Smell's strong of coffee. Roasted Barley.

T - Roasted Barley, bitter Coffee, Caramel, light hoppy flavor

M - Coats well good beginning carbonation head settles quickly,

D - I feel its too much for more than drinking a bottle at a time. Love the beer. Great beer, I feel its over powering and abit too much drink more than one.

4.23/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Black as night. Thin light brown head. Leaves a thin lacing.

S: Roasty. Coffee. A litttle malty.

T: More coffee but not as strong as you'd expect. Baker's chocolate. Lingering bitterness at the end. A little nutty as well.

M: Slight fizz at the beginning but still a little creamy.

D: More please. Delectable. My only regret is that I didn't have it for breakfast. I could drink this at anytime.

3.91/5  rDev -13.5%

Into a tulip. Served at cellar temp. 2008.

A - 2 finger tan head, super black with ruby twinges wherever light can think about passing through. Tons of lacing.

S - Stale coffee. Slight hints of chocolate. That's about it.

T - More stale coffee, light coffee, slight bittersweet chocolate, powdered cocoa, slightly bitter coffee finish.

M - Creamy, thick, medium carbonation.

D - Pretty nice in the drinkability dept. It goes down easy, but it's also pretty unremarkable. I'm sorta dissapointed in this years batch.

Notes: 2008 is like FBS-light. The 2007 that I've had recently is pretty much double this, at least in terms of flavor and smell. While this isn't a bad brew at all, the 2008 just doesn't hold a candle to last years batch.

Sadder than that is the fact that, numbers wise, I rated DOAB quite similarly, when DOAB beats this with a stick. Fuck that, an aluminum baseball bat. On fire.

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12-oz bottle

A: Pours a thick black-brown, with an orange-brown head that laces well. When swirled, the brew actually clings to the glass and stains it.

S: Rich sweet aromas of chocolate and coffee for sure, as well as cinnamon. Delicious.

T: This is a damn good stout. Malty chocolate initially, finished with bold coffee bitterness. The taste lingers around, mellowing out the bitterness.

M: Light carbonation allows for full absorption of all the rich flavor.

D: A heavy hitter, though the coffee adds a little caffeine kick. Probably 2 or 3 would do me right, but a little expensive as well.

So far, probably my favorite stout I've tried, I'm more of a Pale Ale and IPA drinker, but I'll down this anytime.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

12-ounce cellar-cool twist-off topped stubby, poured into a large tulip glass, yields an opaque brown-black body with a cap of fine-bubbled mocha foam. Held against the growing morning sunlight, not a single solar photon penetrates the edges of the elixir, and the head recedes slowly into a thick sheet that leaves swatches of lacing on the glass.

The smell of the drink is potent and roasty, with acrid burnt notes, winey, dark roasted black coffee, dry black malt, and an undertone of baker's chocolate. Black coffee smells less coffee-like than Founder's Breakfast Stout does.

The taste is sweetly malty with dark, powdery cocoa and oily espresso. Husky oatmeal provides heft to the body, even as tangy notes of burnt barley and fine coffee bitterness play off the soft malty backbone, smacking it to the side, eventually dominating the drink. Sweeter, softer, and more mocha-milk-chocolatey as the drink warms.

Breakfast Stout is silky-smooth and full-bodied with light carbonation and the feel of a cool café au lait with just a bit of hearty grittiness from the oats. Succulent.

After waiting so long for Founders to arrive here in NC, I must admit my expectations for the goodness of this so-called 'Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout' were most likely unrealistically high... but the funny thing is that this big fat coffee-bomb of a brew happily blew those high-hopes and pie-in-the-sky expectations away. Outstanding drinkability. The penultimate brunch beer!

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

12oz received in my recent trade with aqsprint... huge thanks Jon. Poured into my Boulevard Smokestack goblet.

beautiful dark brown frothy head... the pour was also very pretty with a nice reverse cascade going on... brew is of course black.

aroma is rich coffee and a little bit of chocolate... doesn't smell overly burnt, which I like.. sooo good.

massive amount of coffee flavor helped out immensely by a smooth velvety mouthfeel.. a little acidic from the coffee but doesn't distract too much... creamy.. a little bit of sweetness ties it all together and more chocolate comes out as it nears room temperature... this brew is very very good. I know I've had it once before, but this is a sipper and one to savor... I've got to get some more.

Jon thanks a bunch, a proper trader for sure.

4.5's and worth it.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

I poured this beer right down the center of the glass, there was a little head that disappears quickly. This stuff is THICK. This is my second one today, I let this one warm up to room temperature and I am very glad I did. Smell is huge coffee and chocolate. Taste is huge coffee flavor and chocolate. The mouthfeel is super thick and creamy which might be my favorite part of this beer. Drinkability is huge for such a high ABV brew. An all around excellent beer!

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Been waiting to try this. Long day ends, and this bad boy opens.

Aggressive pour yields a cute little beige head. This stuff looks thick as hell. Oh yeah, it's black.

Big, big coffee scent. Big chocolate scent. Very nice.

Wow, big, big coffee flavor. Like straight coffee beans. Chocolate flavor is lagging far behind the coffee stampede.

This stuff IS thick as hell. One of the thickest brews I've had the pleasure to have in my limited career.

Very, very smooth. Drinkability is ridiculous. I could literally have six of these. This is one good ass beer.

Overall: any-friggin-time

4.25/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to mikesgroove for including this extra off my wants list.

Pours a dark dark brown/black color with no light being able to penetrate, small head that fades fast and no lacing.

Smell is fairly complex but it's the coffee aspect that takes the lead, strong roasted presence.

Taste is a rush of coffee with a roasted bitter aftertaste, not as strong as the KBS since this beer has less of a burning in the mouth, chocolate is slightly noticeable but I would have preferred a bigger role.

4.79/5  rDev +6%

08' Bottle (Represents Numbers above)

A- Black thick color, minimal lacing

S- fresh coffee, mocha, chocolates

T- Starts out with a fresh coffee, loads of dark bakers chocolate which lasts for quite a while on the finish.

M- Silky smooth loads of coffee.

D- Extremely drinkable!

06' Bottle

(5) A- Very dark brown head, black body, nice lacing and retention.

(4.5)S- Nice dry coffee, green olive, dry chocolate, loads of roasted malt

(4.5)T- Starts with a nice dry chocolate and dark coffee then has a slight green olive component. The finish is dry chocolate and some residual coffee all covered in a light dry hop.

(4.5)M- Low carb is nice. Great mouthfeel.

(4)D- This is the perfect fall/winter beer. It's not a monster with the ABV making it drinkable without getting to goofy. This is an excellent AIS. i will definitely seek out more!

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Got this at A-Wines up in Inman Square in Cambridge. It was the day before my birthday so when I saw it I knew I needed to just take the plunge and spend the money on it.

Opened the first bottle the morning of my birthday to enjoy a breakfast stout with breakfast before classes. With small sips it tastes just like a mocha coffee but with larger tastes it gets more complex. It starts out sweet, almost like a milk stout, then transitions slowly to a rich, bitter coffee flavor. The coffee aftertaste is ridiculous, like I'm still drinking the beer. Overall the beer is one of my favorites I've ever tasted (can't say it's one of my favorite beers though, it's too scarce in MA to say that). I count myself lucky that I decided to buy the 4 pack, can't wait to have more.

Now I just need to get my hands on a Kentucky Breakfast Stout...

So excited when I saw this in Charles St. Liquors. $14.50 for 4 pack yikes!

Poured in a tulip. thick with a dark brown head that only has a short stay before falling. Smell alone is intoxicating..Coffee, chocolate, and a big hop punch.

First taste is complicated...it swirls around your mouth hinting at all it has to offer. Chocolate first a creamy hop second and a nice burst of coffee in the aftertaste.

Drinkability is good for the style.

I see why this brew has a following it does. Well done Founders.

GC

As a former Midwesterner, I've had my share of Founders. Everything they brew is amazing. Even when I moved to Seattle -- one of the great beer spots in the US -- I missed it. Breakfast Stout is a big reason why. And now I have my hands on it again.

I won't go beer nerd on you. I will just tell you this beer is outstanding. It's exactly what it says it is: a Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout. And it's perfect. Not too much of anything. Easily the best stout I've ever had. It's just as good in the bottle as I remember it from the source.

Stout lovers, get this beer... at any cost.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Had this on-tap at Armsby's Abbey in Worcester, MA.

This is one of 2 beer's I've given perfect 5's to (in addition to Nugget Nectar), so I was psyched to try it on tap. The key difference to me was that it was quite a bit hoppier on tap, and the coffee was not quite as strong. Coffee was still there, for sure, but didn't seem quite as prominent as the fresh, bottled version. I liked the increased hoppiness, but overall I didn't like it quite as much as the bottled version. Still incredibly smooth and drinkable, and an amazing beer.

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

An opaque body that allows no light through with about a finger of bubbly brown head. Leaves some good lacing but not a ton of retention.

Some sweetness in the smell along with bitter chocolate and coffee.

Up front the taste is full of coffee and bitter chocolate with lots of sweetness from the oats in the middle more chocolate in the end. Not boozy at all. Well balance.

Really nice mouthfeel, thick and creamy.

I can't pick up on any alcohol at all in here, which makes its rather drinkable for its ABV. Good beer.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick, light-absorbing texture. Only had about a quarter inch of head, but there was good lacing.

S: Big, big coffee aroma, along with malt and chocolate.

T: Like the smell, the taste was fairly big. Coffee, chocolate, malt, a little hops and a sugary presence. Not overly complex, but definitely pleasing to the palate.

M: A high level of carbonation and a somewhat slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: This is an excellent beer. It's robust, as a stout should be and it goes down easy. Very good.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured this beer from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A- the complexion of this beer was dark black with absolutely no visibility; after the pour a mocha-colored head appeared that quickly dissipated after a few seconds; a constant thin layer of mocha head remained as the beer was consumed and laced the sides of snifter.

S- the initial smell is dominated by bitter roasted coffee beans followed by a hint of sweetness.

T- like the smell, roasted coffee beans dominate. As it goes down there is a subtle taste of sweet mocha that follows.

M- very deceptive; the dark complexion makes it seem as if the beer will be thick; to my surprise the beer was thinner and smooth in texture, almost like an iced coffee; little to no carbonation.

D- I will admit, I am not a stout drinker. however, this beer is quite delicious and I can probably manage to drink 2 of these in a sitting based on taste alone.

Overall, it is a quality beer. Like I said, I am not a stout drinker (more of a hop head), but I could definitely see why people would enjoy this. Really looking forward to getting a hold of the Kentucky edition.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company