Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Breakfast StoutFounders Breakfast Stout

Wants: 1,708
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,491 | Hads: 14,783
4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L -- Pours jet black with a creamy tan head that eventually falls down into a ring around the edge. Little lacing to speak of. I wish I had poured it a little faster to get a longer-retaining head.

S -- Coffee, roasted malts, chocolate. Straightforward, but very powerful.

T -- Coffee and chocolate are the major players, as to be expected. They push and pull at each other, alternating who leads, sometimes dancing together in mocha unison. The chocolate is sometimes quite bitter, other times smooth and embraces the tongue.

F -- Luscious and decadent. Full bodied, light carbonation. The alcohol provides a warmth that is welcomed and pleasant. Chewy, velvety, I mean damn, just pick a word. The feel is absurd and exactly what I'd want from a stout.

O -- I understand why this one is rated so highly. It's a very well developed stout that hits many of the spots I want from one. Also very impressive that Founders puts out a beer this good for national distribution. In a world where everyone is trying to one-up each other (in general, not just in beer), it's always easy to appreciate when someone does something "simple", but does it incredibly well.

3.42/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I read a few reviews to try and understand why it got a rating of outstanding. Eh! It's average. I first drank it cold and allowed it to warm. I waited for the coffee and chocolate to blossom. It reminded me more of a bakers chocolate with some coffee added but not good coffee! And I LOVE coffee. Southern Tier Mokah and Choklat are much better chocolate coffee stouts. So I kept drinking this and a week later with a bag of fresh popcorn I take most of it back! The salt on my pallet brought out the flavors! I change my mind! It's good! Lol

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours smoothly. Dark black center with dark red-brown hues on the edges. Smell is prominently coffee. Initial taste is semi-sweet chocolate and coffee, then exposing a smooth oatmeal taste, ending with bitter coffee and black chocolate flavors.

3.91/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Meh. So many better coffee stouts out there. Not a bad beer, but way over rated IMO. Could definitely use some hops for balance. The beer is exponentially better if you drink something hoppy before it.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very delicious stout, arguably the best I've yet to have. Wish it was just a little less hoppy up front, but even that can't discourage the beautiful roasty chocolate and oatmeal undertones.

4.24/5  rDev -5.1%

Reviewed 3/13/12

L: Looks like a stout: jet black, tan head. Somewhat viscous.

S: Very nice aroma. Strong coffee upfront and a general roastiness throughout. Some hop aroma and dark malt notes, but certainly not sweet.

T: Roastiness—with some discernable coffee—and strong bitterness upfront. Substantial burnt taste with *dark* chocolate notes. Substantial lingering bitterness.

F: This beer’s got a full, chewy, luscious mouthfeel. Just above a low level of carbonation. Slight warmth, but not much. Delightful.

O: A very solid beer. It’s got a very nice aroma and a heavenly mouthfeel, all at a relatively moderate abv. Also, there is little perceptible alcohol, though I've cellared the bottle for a bit. That said and while I absolutely love Founders, I do feel like FBS is a bit overrated and would have liked a little less bitterness and some more maltiness. One of my favorite beer labels though!

4.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Been waiting a long time to finally try this. Found a bottle in a WF while visiting NYC. A wonderfully executed coffee forward stout. I love coffee imperial stouts but often they're too heavy on the coffee. This one nailed it with a perfect balance of flavors. Lived up to the hype. Wish I could get this regularly in California.

This has the PERFECT look, no light shining through and a very dark caramel head. Has a great smell of chocolate and roasted coffee. And tastes just like it smells.

4.98/5  rDev +11.4%

Had this one at a tap takeover served in a pint glass. The appearance was solid black (as expected with a stout) with a mocha-colored head; the smell/taste was of rich coffee mixed with chocolate... almost like chocolate-covered espresso beans; the feel was creamy and smooth with a thick body. Overall, Founders definitely killed it with this one! Just an amazing beer, cheers!

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a snifter it has a two and a half inch beige head with a black body. Smell of freshly roasted coffee beans, some cocoa powder, earth, lots of roasted malt, and some sweet malt. Taste is fantastic, coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, and almost a milky cream flavor. Mouth feel is smooth, rich, and full with a just as big body. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

S-Coffee, coffee, coffee.....thats pretty much all I smell and thats not a bad thing!
T-Bitter roasted coffee upfront, subtle dark chocolate notes, more bitter coffee on the finish
F-medium bodied and decent carbonation
O-If you enjoy coffee beers this is a must, I get it every year. this year seems to be more coffee forward than last year. That being said Go Get This Beer!

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

I love black coffee and this beer is the closest that I have ever had. Add to this the chocolate notes and this beer is fantastic. I've found that this beer ages incredibly well.

4.56/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Having had KBS several times, I was surprised that somehow I had missed FBS. I find it to be slightly more bitter on the front, but easing into the wonderful coffee and chocolate found in its bigger, better brother. It's an enjoyable stout. I look forward to aging a few bottles and see how they stand up over time.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle. Pours a dark brown/black with a mocha head. Coffee and chocolate on the nose that carry though on the palate. In terms of imperial stouts, this one leans more heavily into a consistent flavor profile of chocolate and coffee and avoids the variance/complexity of those that add more dark fruit and bitterness. That is a stylistic point rather than a critique - the coffee and chocolate domain that this beer squarely annexes is excellent.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

wow black coffee beer! look is rich deep and dark...smells of dark coffee, chocolate and oats, tastes like a black coffee (exactly how I drink it) starts with rich chocolate and finishes with a sweet licorice flavor, licorice very prominent on the first two or three sips. feel is thick, rich and a definite mouthful, something to chew on. and oh boy 8+ feel the first sip....next experience needs to be clear crisp Nov evening with one of these.

4.39/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black w a finger dark tan head. Aroma of dark roast, coffee, dark chocolate. Tastes just like the aroma w an alcohol punch at the back. Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin to me. Overall a great stout.

4.74/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Last year's batch poured into snifter. Pours a beautiful black stout color with slight tan head, which soon disappears. Aroma is strong mix of chocolate and coffee. Sweet taste, but not as sweet as Angry Chair Brewing Fudge Bucket. Alcohol presence is noticeable, but not overpowering, but enough to rub against the tongue. Minimal aftertaste. Really nice.

3.98/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

Dark black pour with a half finger of khaki head. Foam dissipated quickly with some minor lacing.

The nose was heavy coffee and roasted malts.

Flavor was intensely bitter early, but the coffee flavor was like wet grounds with peppery vegetal notes. I'm waiting for this to warm a bit.

As the glass warms, it opens up. Rich espresso with some faint cacao on the finish. Was expecting more chocolate, as it seems the coffee overpowered it. A good beer, but slightly disappointed considering the hype. I will definitely give it another chance, and hopefully have better results.

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm not much of a dark beer fan but this is damn good. There's plenty of coffee and chocolate but ultimately this is beer. It's got a nice creamy feel to it. It would be perfect for breakfast if I drank beer for breakfast.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Drank this one at cellar temperature (taking advantage of the first beer brought up from cellar in my new house I just moved into!...hell yeah!!) Sadly, I am drinking this one in the shadow of KBS and CBS, which were both awesomer versions of the same thing, albeit a hell of a lot harder to come by, so this one gets extra points for availability.
Pours black as mud and tastes like it means business, as it should. Picture a hot coffee and toast breakfast with some fancy chocolate-covered raisins or something for dessert on a winter day, and this is what that would taste like in beer form...really boozy beer. Lacking the overwhelming sweetness of CBS and that addicting gritty texture and oaky taste of KBS, but featuring the boozy strength and basic flavor profiles of both, this is a fantastic mid-range stout.
Easily delicious enough to be worth spending a few bucks more on a 4-pack, compared to a sixer of something less amazing. Seriously, if it weren't for my insatiable quest to drink every beer I can, this would be one of my go-to regular buys. Total desert island beer, except that it would probably kill me by the end of the 3rd day on that island.
Only complaint is that I think a heavier carbonation and thick head would go quite nicely with this one - it's virtually fizzless.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful pour in my new complementary Founders 16 oz I guess it's called a cylinder? I don't know but I wanted one. Yes this is stout. Aroma bitter coffee and chocolate, 2014 keg but very fresh and pungent. Taste follows, coffee, chocolate, very bitter. Thin but appropriate for the abv level. Smooth finish.

My only complaint is the last 8 oz of 32 gets very palate weary, and frankly, a bit annoying. Still a great beer, but I generally prefer just one 12 oz bottle. And I definitely prefer fresh Wake n Bake which I'll drink all winter and into early spring. But sometimes you just gotta have a Breakfast Stout. Now that thinking about it, I want another. Oh well, it will be available soon.

4.51/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Not much that needs to be added beyond what 3,400+ other reviews has covered, except to say that I generally prefer FBS a bit after its Best By date. I love a good coffee stout, and this is one of the best non-aged regular releases out there, but it has a lot more to offer than just the coffee. I find that waiting another month or two helps to bring some of the other flavors more to the fore. By comparison, some other coffee stouts that are very heavy on the coffee, such as Big Bad Baptist, really shine when fresh but don't gain as much over time.

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A very tasty brew. I read that this was a great stout to try if you were not a stout guy. I'm glad I finally tried one. Just very easy drinking flavorful brew that keeps getting better as it warms. I recommend trying one.!!!

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep dark chocolate brown. If you hold it up to the light.

S: Wonderful malty, coffee, chocolate, roast aroma.

T: Nice round wave of flavors. You get the creaminess that the oatmeal provides, the chocolate and roast flavors, the great malty body (great body). Its just layers of flavor after flavor, like a wonderful desert.

F: full bodied and moderate carbonation.

O: Great finishing beer. Wouldn't want to drink it all day, but would drink it most of the night.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look - Black body, light tan head. Decent lacing

Smell - Light than I expected. Coffee.

Taste - I'm really struck by the aftertaste. The oatmeal and bitter chocolate really grow after a few seconds. As Borat would say, "very nice"

Feel - Medium. Not too heavy.

Overall - A very unique stout. Great flavor and aftertaste. Not too heavy. My only knock is the smell doesn't prepare you for the excited your mouth will soon have.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company