Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,681
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,439 | Hads: 14,576
4.54/5  rDev +1.8%

I've been waiting a long time to try this one. Let's hope it lives up to the hype. Great label; not a bad way to start off.

Poured into a snifter, the Breakfast Stout is pitch black with a thin dark tan head on top that doesn't last very long. Nice enough to look at, but nothing exceedingly special. But the aroma! Oh the aroma. The nose is dense, strong coffee, with a malty chocolate backup. Seriously, this is a phenomenal smelling brew. I almost get a buzz just smelling this beer. The taste follows suit accordingly, delivering delicious notes of milk chocolate and coffee, accented by dark cherry, oatmeal, malted milk balls, and a dry coffee bitter finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and silky soft with a super dry finish.

This beer has met every expectation and possibly exceeded a few. I hoped it would be good, but the aroma really gives this beer a leg up on other rich stouts I've had. The coffee presence, which I love, is so well pronounced it really adds so much to the overall character of the beer. This would go great with some vanilla ice cream for dessert. The relatively high ABV is masked well. Muy delicioso. (1,129 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -4.9%

Purchased a bottle at Rozzi's Wine House in Lakewood, OH.

A: This beer pours out like motor oil. Dark, tan head. Dark brown-opaque.

S: The aroma is full of fresh tobacco character with notes of chocolate and coffee - not espresso but regular joe. Full and rich. Some hop character. Booziness is noticeable.

T: Plenty of hop bitterness balances out the heavy malt sweetness. Malt is chocolate (dark) some vanilla character. Dark fruits - plum. Coffee but again not espresso like. Quite good all around.

MF: Thick, smooth. Slightly dry. Surprisingly, no alcohol warming.

D, notes: This beer totally lives up to its hype. Well balanced - bitterness is done particularly well. (681 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours thick and oily, not much of a head. Smells absolutely delicious! Rich roasted coffee, bits of sweet cocoa.

Hearty roasted malts and brewed coffee dominate the taste. Has just the right amount of bitterness, simply oustanding! Not as creamy as similar beers, it has more of a black coffee/dark chocolate taste. Thick body, very smooth from the oatmeal.

A delicious and addictive beer that's incredibly easy to drink. It's one to sip and savor but there is nothing holding me back from wanting another immediately after I finish one. (539 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4.3%

Dark brown where no light passes through. Modest beige head that leaves a thin but continuous layer of lace throughout the glass.

Dark chocolate and oatmeal are the predominant smells. This is not as harsh as some Stouts, there's seems to be less black patent malt.

The flavor is something special: it is more "dark" than the smell would lead you to believe. Here, the black patent malt shows up in spades. The burnt flavors last throughout the taste long after the swallow. This is not a chewy beer; I'd describe it as rather thin for the style, but the carbonation is low, so it doesn't seem "off" to me. It's a dry stout with a lot of ground coffee and bitter chocolate flavor. (683 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -2.2%

My first sample of this highly touted stout.
This pours thick and syrupy - intensely black and completely opaque. A firm, dense brown head forms and stubbornly recedes to an ever present film leaving sheets of lace around the glass.

(By style guidelines, it CAN'T look better so 5 for appearance tho here on BA, 20% for appearance is far too high a % of an overall score IMHO and the reason why many of my scores are higher than they would be if judged by BJCP standards where appearance counts for approx. 6% of the overall score)

Aromas are all RIS - ripe fruit and chocolate - coffee and molasses with hints of baking bread and cherry Kool Aide. Very subdued scents and no trace of alcohol this beer doesnt "wow" me as it's just a bit too mellow - very nice just not amazing.

Flavors are rich and chewy - BIG coffee character with strong chocolate cake yumminess and great grain and oat flavors. Warm roasty notes and earthy hop bittering slide in towards the finish leaving a long, lingering hop/coffee aftertaste.

Body is doughy and full up front and then slips away at the end, dry and chalky. Just a little thin all around which makes this even more dangerously drinkable, forcing bigger mouthfuls.

An exceptional stout indeed - possibly even better than Rasputin in its complexity and equal in its drinkability at 8+%. (1,339 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from bottle into Stella Artois stemmed beer glass. Dark, dark color with a dark tan, brown, thick head.

Smells like coffee up front with some dark chocolate and oatmeal in the background

Tastes similarly to the smell. Reminds me a bit of Rogue's Chocolate. Sweet up front with a little bitterness towards the end...in a good way.

Quite drinkable for a double stout...could easily drink two or three of these but with the high ABV (8.0ish), I may pay for it!

I've heard quite a bit of good reviews for Founders. This is the first of their brews I have tried and I'm eager to try a few more! (600 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours jet black with almost no head. Smells like mocha coffee. Tastes like a sweet coffee with chocolate in it. Simply an amazing beer. Surprised that it was a twist off bottle, but had no affect on the taste. The mouthfeel is really light for a stout. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. I don't think I could drink more than two in a session, making drinkability the only not perfect score. I don't think I'll ever be able to rate a beer higher.

Side note- out one night drinking with some buddies and used it in place of guiness in an Irish car bomb, absolutely amazing( but instantly drunk). Really kinda felt bad wasting such good beer in a shot. If in a real drinking mood I would definitely recommend trying this. (734 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Agressive pour yielded little to no head, almost as if there is no carbonation in this beer. After swirling i developed a small half finger mocha colored head that dissapated quickly. Very dark brown, almost black and opaque.

Smell: Smells of burnt chocolate, dark chocolate, espresso and caramel. I also get a hint of toasted marshmallow on the back end of the aromas.

Taste: Booze is very present, but in a good way as this beer is meant to be drank rather slowly. Tastes like espresso mixed with some dark chocolate and a touch of butterscotch. Not totally knocking me off my feet, but interesting and balanced.

Mouthfeel: very little carbonation to the eye is present, but on the mouthfeel, im getting a lot of carbonation and prickly sensations on my toungue.

Drinkability: this is definately an occaision beer for me. I wouldnt session this beer ever, but im glad I tried it and I believe its my first imperial stout. Its a good way to kick things off for me, but I would drink 1 and 1 only a night. I would try again, but I would only drink 1 at a time.

****Re-Reviewing***

After letting it sit for about 20 minutes and a couple of sips here and there, the second half of this is simply amazing!

The alcohol burned down a lot, the taste is much smoother with less of the burnt espresso taste and more of a mocha cappicinno taste. I get a little bit of cinnimon and some faint oatmeal flavors now.

first review:

T-4.5
M-4
D-4 (1,548 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

This is the beer that got me into imperial and double stouts, I didn't realize what I was missing. The aroma is oatmeal, chocolate, caramel, a hint of cinnamon, and many other notes. The taste is intense, but not overpowering. Very multi-layered, and each layer is excellent. Cocao and coffee flavors give it a perfect bitterness at finish. There is a hint of alcohol warmness. This is definitely a beer for savoring, no more than two a day are necessary. It is one of Founder's several truly beautiful beers. (509 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type- Bottle poured into a regular pint glass.

A- Pours a beautiful dark roasted black with a small dirty brown lace that is present througout the drink. Great color with no activity present and even if their was you would not be able to tell because of the dark rich color.

S- Strong hints of caffeine and roasted malt/ chocolate.

T- Great taste combination of roasted flavors of coffee beans and cocco. Smooth mellow oatmeal flavor that ends in a smooth finish.

Had the opportunity to try this at a local bar and from everything that I have read this is a great beer. I do not have alot of experience with Imperial Stouts but after reading great reviews from here I could not pass up the opportunity to have it. From what I have read Founders just recently became available here in NC and I have very happy because I will definately have this again. (864 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours black with a tan/milk chocolate head that dissipates over time. I got incredible rings off of this one. Distinct full rings after each sip that stayed on the glass as I downed this one slowly. Beautiful.

Smells of malt, coffee, and cocoa. Very pleasant and not overpowering.

My first 5.0 for taste since I've been rating brews. This is downright exceptional. Deep roast malt/coffee, with a great chocolate undertone. The coffee flavors are there, but not overly bitter; no sour notes. Terrific balance. The toasty oatmeal lends a sweet grain element that balances out the bitterness perfectly. First sip out of the cold fridge gave me coffee then alcohol. This boozy flavor lessened as the beer warmed, or as I got used to it. This is absolutely first-rate stout.

Excellent body and smoothness, with a slight bitter coffee finish that is more of an aftertaste -- a rather clean note after a sip of a complex flavorful brew.

Overall, I could have more than one of these, but 2 would be a limit (really because pas that my appreciation would lessen as the alcohol kicked in). So glad I found this finally. If you are a stout drinker, this is one not to be missed. I might even stock up! (1,195 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottles into Sam Smith pint glasses. Aww, a twist off? Weak, whatever.

Appearance- black. Real black. Light brown head which is thick and gives decent lacing.

Smell- chocolate, coffee, and malt. Lots of each, and nothing else. Sure is appetizing.

Taste- chocolate and malt enter the mouth, with a coffee taste following behind, the swallow is coffee and the after taste is coffee-malt-alcohol, all in one, with the most lingering flavor being a long drawn out coffee bean taste.

Mouthfeel- the oatmeal addition is very noticeable in this, the beer enters the mouth like a smooth velvet. While holding it on the palate it lightens noticeably, but then goes down silky smooth again.

Drinkability- this seems like a one-a-day beer, as strongly flavored as it is, I doubt I would have another tonight, but I could easily have one again tomorrow. (851 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a dark brown to black color with a one-finger tan head.

Wow...this actually smells like oatmeal. Awesome coffee aromas as well as a good roasted malt backbone. Taste has some sweetness reminiscent of toffee with a bit of caramel and a great coffee bitterness on the finish.

Medium bodied with a nice silky mouthfeel. Really intense and robust flavors make this very tasty, but hinder the drinkability somewhat. (418 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.1%

Had to order this from a website since it's not available in FL. Let me tell you it was well worth it. I wish I got more than one 4 pack. Pours a jet black out of the bottle and produces a pillowy dark brown head. I'm instantly hit with the smell of roasted coffee and chocolate. Wow what a fine smelling beer. Tastes of rich coffee and creamy chocolate. Has a nice oat taste in the backround, followed by a fair but well balanced alcohol taste. Wow this beer is outstaning. Stick to the mouth perfectly as I drink. i could definatly drink this, even for breakfast. It's filling, but excellent. (594 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a coffee black color with about 1 finger width of a brown colored head, that recedes fairly quick leaving a creamy ring around the glass that deposits a butt load of suds on the glass. I can barely make them out due to the inky blackness of the beer, but there are a lot of bubbles riding the perimeter of the glass.

A very nice roasted coffee bean aroma. A hint of sweet caramel and a nice chocolate background.

The flavor is heavy up front with the roasted coffee flavor, a very nice milk chocolate background, a nice bitter chocolate end with some awesome acidic coffee flavors mingled in. A very thick brew, leaves a delicious milk chocolate bitter coffee flavor on the palate.

This is quite a heavy beer, with, what i feel to be just the right amount carbonation. Did I mention how thick this is? Almost like a meal in itself. Just a great Double Stout. While this is drinkable, it certainly isn't a session beer. I do however look forward to finishing my 4-pack on Christmas morning. I think this will be an awesome compliment to the holiday. (1,058 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours thick and rich with certainly one of the darkest heads I've ever seen. Nice density to the head and it leaves lacing as it settles. Coffee black.
Rich aroma of coffee noted initially. Holds an interesting sweetness, that I suppose could be the oatmeal, but also has a zip with the hops (grass, forest green).
Wow what a whole lot of flavors. Excuse me if i neglect some of this cornucopia of taste. Starts with the coffee that shows a tad of sharp taste and bitterness but once it's gone all the traditional beery flavors show with hops making a strong presence in the acceptable bitterness and green wild grassy taste. There is the makings of a dark fruit (close to dark berry) in the making, but it doesn't come to fruition (so to speak). Incredibly long finish of bitterness, with coffee and hop flavors.
Quite a bit of carbonation, especially for style. Seems to make it thinner than maybe it actually is.
Drinks well enough for style. The strong full flavors lend it to wanting to take small drinks to savor the flavors. Glad I have a second bottle as I think aging will make this truly wonderful instead of merely very good. Rich flavors and body now holds a sharpness from its youth that I would prefer to not experience.
Thanks S.H. for the trade. (1,262 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

I think that I probably poured this too passively resulting in the meager head. I will pour the next just a bit more aggressively.

Black. When held up to a 60 watt bulb, very little light penetrates, producing an earthy brown at the edges of the glass. Looking down at the surface of the beer, I can see bubbles of carbonation, but I can't see them from the sides of the glass. The inky darkness prevents it.

Smells like coffee brewed by angels poured into a mug made from charred wood. Complex aroma of charred wood is dominant and is followed by chocolate and coffee. Blends beautifully.

Once this stout reaches the mouth, the coffee takes over. It still maintains the aromatic integrity, but the charred wood takes a backseat. The tasted blend even better than the scents. This is easily the best tasting stout that I have had until this point.

This tasty beverage coats the mouth like coffee, leaving a bitter-sweet aftertaste. Beautiful feel in the mouth. Very thick. Light carbonation.

Although I would not "session" this beer, it is extremely drinkable. I can imagine that after a point, the coffee taste might become cloying, but I would be extremely happy to drink several of these, even for breakfast! (1,216 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a thick opaque black with a creamy tan head.The aroma is packed with coffee chocolate nuts toffee and many more roasted malt scents. Taste Take a glass and fill if half full with rich melted milk chocolate, and fill the rest up with a gourmet coffee and add a healthy serving of whole cream. mmm. Oh there is a shot of booze in it too. That is the best I can describe the creamy chocolate sensational experience. Mouthfeel is sheer silky velvety smooth cream, has a big feel to it but everything about this beer is extremely approachable, and divinely pleasant. (567 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Very dark pour with carbonation bubbles that fall down and end up creating a long lasting dark tan, wet sand, brown head.

S: Strong, freshly brewed coffee with a dark chocolate background and a hint of caramel and oatmeal.

T: The dark chocolate and coffee flavors come out immediately in a slightly bitter fashion. There is a hint of sweetness in the middle that lasts into the aftertaste.

M: Thick and mildly heavy with the perfect amount of carbonation to compliment it's thickness.

D: A tad bitter for a stout, but I find that refreshing. Surprisingly easy to drink. (576 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -17.9%

A - Thick dark brown head that lingers for a short while before turning into thin coating. Dark brown, even looks heavy. Lots of lacing.

S - Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Molasses, Malt and tons of all four. Smells like a dark roast coffee.

T - Bitter the way that coffee and dark chocolate are bitter, rather malty but not too sweet. Some char-like roasty flavors, almost little sour actually. Can taste the alcohol on the finish and leaves a bitter aftertaste. Not bad but not the greatest.

M - Good. Heavy, creamy, with a slightly oily ending.

D - I know some people who could pound these suckers, and I do like stouts, but the flavors here are so bitter for a stout, and just...so much. I could only drink a pint of this at one sitting I think. (746 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +3.1%

12 fl oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Poured an intense, pitch black body with an inch thick muddy tan head. Creamy looking. Reduced somewhat quickly, leaving thick, delicious looking lacing. Very intriguing.

Smells of smoooth mocha, chocolate. FRESH, roasted coffee beans. Wow. Very sweet and grainy smelling. Nice.

Tastes of bitter, dark chocolate and the fresh coffee beans mentioned before. Roasted malts. Creamy oatmeal as well, adds a certain chewy feel to the body. The bitterness hit me first, then it finished immensely clean and sweet, with a tiny, slight dash of citrusy hops at the very end. Undeniably incredible brew. Carbonation is perfect... incredibly well balanced.

Mouthfeel is incredible. Thick, full bodied brew. But it maintains its smoothness throughout the entire bottle. So smooth. The little carbonation adds the perfect balance to an absolutely outstanding stout.

This is definitely a sipper. It's the only way to enjoy a brew of such caliber. I took the recommendation of allowing this beer to warm throughout the bottle, and god, was it a treat. This is 100% one of the best stouts out there. Highly recommended. (1,148 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +2.2%

Bought a four pack of 12 oz bottles from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. Poured into a large snifter. "Double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout"

Poured very aggressive leaving a quarter inch of tan head that dissipated somewhat quickly and did not retain well at all. Black color, minimal carbonation.

Smell is clean and quality. Not overpowering like some beers in its style/class. Dark smooth chocolate mocha nose. Vanilla and creme. Sweet malts. Some lacing.

That first sip gets you right here **points toward right side of jowl** Really gets the tastebuds to wake up from their slumber. Quality ingredients used in great balance. Vanilla comes through more in the mouth. Still chocolate mocha with creme and sweet malts. This is a tasty stout.

Medium to full body. Dangerously easy to drink; I just keep wanting more. Mild cabonation. Very smooth, somewhat creamy mouthfeel.

Good stuff. (894 characters)

Poured from a bottle into my sifter....

A: Pours jet black with a dense brown frothy head that settles to a fine layer of chocolate foam...
S: Smells like fresh, delicious, dark roasted coffee, and chocolate.
T: Taste like fresh, delicious, dark roasted coffee, and finishes with a rich chocolate flavor and a roasted chewy goodness.
M: The flaked oats take this one up a notch, the mouthfeel is thick and chewy.
D: This stuff is smooth. There is absolutely no trace of the 8.5% alcohol. I could sip this stuff all day (or all morning). (538 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Breakfast time!! This cup of espresso pours out a deep chocolaty black color, capped with foamy chocolate milk colored head. Looks absolutley delicious.
Smells of cocoas,coffee,espresso,hazelnut,musty oats,a very nice floral hop aroma not expected adds a great touch of balance and complexity.Vanillas,malts, with a rich cream-like fullness. This really reminds me family's kitchen at breakfastime.Fantastic
Tastes of deeply roasted coffee up front,oats,long warming finish of hoppy bitterness, a sip with this warm of a finish is definatly remienscent of a great cup of coffee.Subsequent sips introduce more chocolates into the mix,fudge,Nutella,dark chocolaty breads. The long bitter-cocoa chocolaty finish is really awesome.
Mouthfeel is warm and filling, yet doesn't overly coat the palate. The long,warm chocolate coffee taste you are left with is truly delightful. This beer is actually really easy to drink, I can't believe how well the ABV is masked.
Ive been wanting this beer for quite some time, thanks to the Duffman for this sample! (1,045 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -4%

Bottle into snifter.

Thick, dark black. Thin tan head recedes but leaves a very thin patchy film across the top and a ring around the edge. Lacing is good.

Dark roasted grains, coffee, a hint of balancing sweetness. Intense at first, but the boldness dissipates quickly. Later, catching some chocolate. Sweetness stronger and overall aroma more balanced late in the sample.

Bitter chocolate and dark roasted grains taking the lead, but coffee also present. A hint of sweetness balances. There must be some hops adding to the bitterness, but none identifiable to me. Damned smooth and balanced, though definitely more bitter than most stouts.

Carbonation is low but perfect. Texture is smooth and creamy, with mild warming.

Lovely, to me, but a sipper. One to savor and share. Overall, a great beer. Surely some will find this one too bitter or bold generally, but to me this a great stout. One to emulate. (912 characters)

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company