Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,121
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

Released on Sept. 1, 2010.

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
DavidRandall

tpgraham

11-14-2013 20:24:02 | More by tpgraham
BrownNut

4.19/5  rDev -7.3%

2012 release aged one year (one year from when I bought it anyway - don't know how old it was already). Served just cool in a tulip.

A - 4.0 - Black with tan head. Not too much head even with a moderately aggressive pour, and it doesn't last long.

S - 4.25 - So aromatic even when at pouring distance. Serious coffee aroma with something underneath it that is a balanced mix of not too sweet cake, bittersweet chocolate, and some culinary cousin of cardboard, but not in a bad way! Sort of related to that used coffee grounds in a wet paper filter smell. Also a hint of caramelly malt bordering on steely. I'm surprised the coffee smell lasted a year. Later in the glass we start to approach a partially sweet brownie liqueur note and the metal smell is gone.

T - 4.25 - A chocolate falling between bittersweet dark and baker's. A hint of brownie. But overall not particularly sweet in that way. A hint of steely metal, which I don't recall from last time. I taste the coffee less than I smell it but it's in the mix. I get zero booze, and just a hint of booze fumes wafting up the throat afterwards. Later in the glass I get more of a baked goods note, of a chocolate variety but again not all that sweet, and the metal note has faded to a vagueness where you can't really identify it as that anymore. Towards the end of the glass is the most coffee-ish it has tasted, surprisingly. I'm definitely left with coffee breath at the end of it, more like mocha breath.

M - 3.75 - Thinner than I remember. I'd call it medium bodied. I'm not really getting that silky oatmeal feel. Leaves a very slight abrasion and slight tingle on the tongue.

O - 4.25 - Yep, it's a top stout for sure. Very flavorful yet not too sweet. I'm not sure if aging it a year necessarily changed it in any memorable way. I thought I had my old review on this site to compare it to but I don't see it.

11-14-2013 03:55:46 | More by BrownNut
seydou

South Africa

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a beautiful dark and rich coffee color with great hazel lacing that stays around forever. Ideal picture of a stout.

Smell is full, chocolate and roasted coffee hits you.

Taste is pleasingly bitter, rich, mouth coating, lingering, chocolate-heavy. As satisfying as beer can be. The high alcohol content can sometimes get to me toward the tail end of a bottle, but a small complaint.

11-14-2013 02:51:17 | More by seydou

United Kingdom (England)

11-13-2013 22:48:29 | More by the4_5
JackMcAwesome

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

Bought the four pack finally. (I'm not sure how I feel about four packs...)

When I think of Beer, I think of a kid gobbling up breakfast, and so does Founders apparently. They put a very ambitious looking youngster on the bottle chowing down on some breakfast, already making me regret not pouring this into a bowl of Cheerios.

Look: It pours an awesome black void. The head is one finger in thickness, and it's a brown pillow of awesomeness. The lacing is optimal. So with all that being said, I can't imagine this being "improved upon". So it gets a very rare 5 from me. Just a solid looking beer.

Smell: I love the complexity of this. For a few basic ingredients you can detect right off the bat, it still has a lot else going on. Those basic few being Chocolate, Coffee, and Oats. It combines to create a cappuccino like smell, and the alcohol compounded on that, creates a near perfect aroma, that as far as I can tell, never falls off. That is the one thing I look for the most, whether the smell tapers off. This one doesn't.

Taste: Follows the nose completely. Once you taste it, you are able to identify the chocolate as the bitter kind, not the sweet kind. (This is a good thing)

Feel: Medium/Heavy in texture, like a good stout should. Carbonation seems to be on the low end, which just gives more attention to the taste in my opinion. The ABV is non-detectable to me. Very well hidden, and to me, that's what makes this something you can have any time of day.

Overall: I have heard things about this one from time to time on these very forums, but I never really took it to heart. I love stouts, and knew I would have to try it some day. MY GOD I'M GLAD I DID. This is one beer that lives up to the hype. It's just so balanced and tasty, and you can smell the very last sip. It's really good, and probably my new favorite. I'm hesitant to give 5's across the board, but this one is as close as it gets. After I get more experienced, I might just come back and knock this beer up to 5's like it probably deserves.

11-13-2013 22:25:36 | More by JackMcAwesome

NESPOWERGLOVE

11-13-2013 06:05:51 | More by NESPOWERGLOVE
Shaw

4.31/5  rDev -4.6%

Founders is new in Florida. Excited to make this my first beer from them.

They don't look better than this: totally black with a big brown head.

Chocolate and coffee aroma. Nice.

Flavor is all about sweet chocolate and coffee flavors. Almost too sweet for me. Reminds me of a coffee and chocolate milkshake.

Great body. Like a milkshake.

I'm surprised that I'm not head over heels for this beer, considering its rating of 100 here. It's good, but not world-class.

11-13-2013 05:29:50 | More by Shaw
cincysig

11-13-2013 04:01:32 | More by cincysig
quakeroatmealstout

11-13-2013 03:24:27 | More by quakeroatmealstout
screamking

4.54/5  rDev +0.4%

12 oz bottle poured into wine glass.

Pours black with a 1 finger dark khaki head. The aroma on this is fantastic, lots of espresso and chocolate up front with hints of dark fruit underneath. The roasted quality alone is great. The taste kicks it up a notch, even more espresso, even more chocolate wrapped up in a neat bitter bow. Both the chocolate and espresso lean more to the bitter side, not a whole lot of sweetness here. Lighter side of full bodied, with a completly hidden ABV. This has got to be one of the best readily available stouts on the market. This thing kills!

11-13-2013 02:17:30 | More by screamking

mmulebarn

11-12-2013 23:25:20 | More by mmulebarn
rmargeson

2.51/5  rDev -44.5%

I don't like coffee and this tasted just like iced coffee - and strong coffee at that. It looked good and poured well. I did not find the chocolate taste of the double chocolate. Unfortunately, I bought a four pack and my wife doesn't like stouts. Need to find a "friend" to foist the rest of them onto.

11-12-2013 22:17:08 | More by rmargeson