Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,622
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 14,405 | Reviews: 3,599
4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

notes from turkey day 2008

served @ room temp
agressive pour leaves 1/2" tan head and a body that is pitch black.. smell is coffee coffee coffee like jaun valdez and his mule popped out of the bottle and said "Buenos dias" - beyond the coffee is some nice chocolate and raosted malts. taste is even better then the smell bitter chocolate with lots of coffee and a nice earthy hop bite finish. mouthfeel is thick and creamy but not too much that you feel you have to use your molars to chew it down. overall this is one of the best stouts i have had. this stout is best when fresh say 1month after bottling. after that the coffee fades and takes it out of that mind blowing beer status(but still very good).

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottle Pours a deep reddish brown with a disapating tan head. The head laces well. Has good aromas of chocolate, coffee, spices, and fruits. Has a good carbination. A hearty mouthfeel. This one is full bodied with a thick texture. The flavors are good with lots of chocolate. Has a good solid finish and a good aftertaste. This is a real good beer

4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

This poured pitch black with dark tan head. It smelled like roasted coffee and toasted oats, with bitter chocolate and a bit of cream. It tasted like bitter roasted coffee with some semi-sweet chocolate and toasted oats. It was somewhat thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this beer had great flavor at first, but it ended somewhat flat. It was nice and clean, and not very complex. It had great body and hid the alcohol fairly well, so it was easy to drink. I could imagine this mellowing out even more with age. Solid beer fresh, but perhaps a bit harsh for breakfast! And I'm not convinced that this beer quite lives up to the hype.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

A- Pours inky opaque black. About a half inch of brown head. Moderate lacing.

S- Chocolate, oatmeal, coffee, roasted/woody malt. Lots of complexity here, and pretty strong.

T- Follows the nose well. Dark chocolate, oaty sweetness, coffee, toasted malt, like hop bitterness (piney) on the finish. Maybe some dark fruit (grapes? cherries?). Dark and complex.

M- Thick and creamy, lightly carbonated. What I wanted it to be.

D- Surprisingly drinkable for ABV and thickness. Taste keeps me coming back for more.

Just a great beer... complex and delicious. Worth seeking out.

4.07/5  rDev -10%

A: Pitch black; opaque. Poured heavy to try to get some head, but all I got was a 1/8 inch of tan foam which dissipated quickly. No lacing

S: Strong aromas of coffee, chocolate, and heavily roasted malts. Impressive.

T: Dark roasted, almost burnt, espresso coffee. Smokey/Wood accents. Vanilla. Cola. Coffee and cola flavors linger faintly on the tongue.

M: Medium heavy body, but not thick or viscous with decent amount of spry carbonation to lighten this beer a little further. However, for a DIS, I think I want a little more heft, a little more body, a little something more to separate it from the "single" stouts.

D: The lighter body lends to easier drinking, but I'm not so sure this should even be an easy drinking beer. Overall, its a very good stout, but not a great one. Aromas and flavors are quite complex, but weight of this beer seems to be missing.

3.8/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance: Poured black, like used motor oil. Not much of a head, very little lacing.

Smell: Coffee and chocolate.

Taste: Roasted coffee beans, bitter dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Smooth.

Drinkability: This was very easy to drink. Could probably have two or three at a sitting.

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

A. Pitch black, not even a sign of any highlights around the edges. A dark tan head that dissipates slowly and leaves some nice rings around the edges. The perfect look?

S. Wow, this is the most coffee and chocolate I think I've ever smelled in a beer. The mocha scent is deep and very rich.

T. Unbelievably, this may be the weak point of this beer. It is labeled as an oatmeal stout but I'm not sure I get that. The bittersweetness of good oatmeal stouts like St. Ambroise, Barney Flats, and Sam Smith's is absent. It still tastes great, but just not quite like a proper oatmeal stout. Perhaps it's the absence of this that makes me slightly disappointed in the flavor. Still, this is a very nice tasting brew. Initially the mocha/chocolate flavors dominate. Very rich, dark, and quite good. The finish is marked by a drying bitterness that is much more reminiscent of the coffee than beer. Add that to the fact that the high alcohol content(8.3%) is hidden better than any other beer I've tasted of this strength and you really do have a fantastic "breakfast stout."

M. Thick, chewy, and almost devoid of carbonation. Not quite as creamy as I would've liked.

D. As mentioned, for such a strong beer in terms of alcohol, it is amazingly drinkable. I mean, I can't even perceive it. The roasted bitterness is also restrained just enough that it doesn't take a toll on your taste buds. Quite amazing to see a beer like this that is so drinkable.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

WOW! AMAZING! This is a truly great stout.
Pours a super dark chocolate black with a light chocolate colored head that sits there all the way thru the drinking experience. Smells of rich mocha. Its aroma gives off a breakfast vibe, coffee, with a hint of chocolate and cream. The taste is even better. Rich and chewy coffee and chocolate flavors. Incredibly smooth, with a lovely coating in the mouth. This could be a breakfast as well as a dessert! Two or three of these would be the perfect way to end an evening.

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Extra special thanks goes out to DoctorDog for this one in a trade. I've been really excited for this beer for a long time, the only thing I'm more excited for is the KBS! Oh man...but that's gonna wait!

12oz Single

A: Thick and black, no light penetrates this one, sadly not a whole lot of head, but what did show up is dark tan, almost brown. A few spots of lacing when I swirl it. Spot on for the style.

S: Chocolate, like Hershey's syrup, milk, and a definite coffee presence, almost like having a cup of coffee in my hands, huge roasted malts, HUGE, some black patent smell in there too, but not overbearing, as its warming a little more I'm getting some boozey notes as well. Excellent!

T: Wow, coffee, big time, yeah, this is a breakfast stout if ever there was one, huge coffee flavor, very dark roasted coffee, definite coffee lingering bitterness, I don't think I can pick a true hop character out. Chocolate flavors are really strong in here too, nice dark chocolate character, it pairs quite nicely with the coffee. A faint hint of booze at the end. This is really something special. Excellent.

M: Nice thickness, velvety smoothness, surprisingly not a lot of alcohol heat at over 8%. Really a smooth sipper. Wow. Quite nice.

D: Too easy to drink for the style, a little on the sweet/rich side for me to be able to crack open another one though. This has made an excellent dessert. If I could get away with drinking one of these and going to work, I most definitely would. Really an excellent beer.

Thanks Ben!

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Very dark and thick with a large, dark head and plenty of lacing.

S: Coffee and chocolate, and a bit of alcohol.

T: Bittered chocolate and coffee flavors. Some mild sweetness and oatmeal notes underneath. Some hops make an appearance as well.

M: Very thick and chewy.

D: Everything gets better as it warms up--make sure to savor this one over an extended sitting.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to Ktown67 for two of these bottles during an in person trade.

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color that is mostly opaque, but lets some light through. There is no head whatsoever even with a vigorous pour; the exception is just a layer of bubbles on top that dissipates quickly. Lacing on the glass is awesome.

S: When cold there isn't much here but coffee. As it warms though it's fairly complex. Coffee, dark chocolate, unsweetened cocoa, and at the very last of my glass as it's warmed toffee comes through. This is really nice.

T: I can't believe how good this is. I should state that I am not a stout drinker. In fact I've never bought one for myself to have in the fridge. I've drank many at beer tastings, but this beer tastes phenomenal. The coffee is right there and up front, but it's like any good coffee. Smooth as silk, dark chocolate without any bitterness, and there is absolutely no lingering bitterness I typically associate with stouts. This beer is perfection among all I've tried in the style. I have zero complaints. It's just that good. And may I state again it's so smooth, like a great cup of coffee! I think this is best beer I've drank that would make a good ice cream float. Never cloying either. Just right.

M: Absolute perfection. Carbonation is nice and not overbearing which it shouldn't be in a stout. Coats the mouth, but not heavy or thick at all. Creamy as well. I don't think this could be improved.

D: I wanted another one, but since I only have two I'm saving it for another night. I REALLY wanted to drink the second one though. I could have 2, 3, 4 of these? Who knows. It's insanely drinkable. No hints of alcohol whatsoever.

Being that I'm not a stout drinker and typically avoid them, I want to state that ANYONE who likes beer (stout drinker or not) should absolutely seek out a 4 pack of this beer. It's phenomenal.

3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

I was at the point of inputting my 100th review on this site and decided it would be appropriate to seek out a special beer, i.e. one that is rated very high on this site. So, here it goes.

This beer pours a dark black color and looks almost like motor oil being poured from the bottle to the glass. The head is foamy and tan but doesn't completely cover the surface. Mild coffee and slightly smoky roasted malt mose. Perhaps a touch of oatmeal on the nose. Thick mouthfeel follows a mostly creamy initial attack. The flavor starts off clean and straightforward and the most noteworty feature at first blush is the creaminess. It seems to be a little bit "boozy." As it lingers in the mouth the roasted flavors start to come out towards the finish and the aftertaste. I can pick up chocolate very late and probably in fact in the aftertaste. The coffee flavors carry the day late in the flavor for sure. It actually causes me to flip back in my beer notes to a beer that I had a couple months ago from Flat Earth Brewing in Saint Paul, MN called Black Helicopter Coffee stout. I think that I had really hyped this beer up in my mind because of its reputation on this site, and its tough to live up to that much hype. Its good, but I have had stouts that I have enjoyed more. I actually thought it drank more like a porter. My wife and I had this together and she seemed to enjoy it more than I did. I just think it was the hype. Definitely a good beer and worth everyone giving it a try. I don't want to be too glum.

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours very dark brown like coffee with about one finger of brown head. The lacing is really nice.

S: Strong notes of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt come through.

T: Wow, this is certainly different. Starts with a mixed taste of chocolate and chocolate, like a mocha latte. A slight flavor of alcohol hits the palette next, followed by a taste of roasted malt. The malt flavor is followed by some bitterness, not from hops, but of the coffee. It finishes very similarly to a cup of joe, it shares the same aftertaste as coffee, except the stout finishes with a bit of booze as well. I was kinda surprised how much coffee flavor was in this beer, it's almost as if I got it at Starbucks and ordered a stout latte (which would actually give me a reason to go to Starbucks).

D: As with all stouts of this type. I could maybe drink two before I'd have to move to something lighter. It does go down really nice a smooth though.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. bottle > brandy snifter

The color is Jet-black. It's black liquid with only my own face reflecting back at me. hold it up to direct light and there is some dark brown shading so it's not really opaque. The head is a macho-looking dark brown color with even darker tinting splattered throughout. It rises at least 2" high and it falls flat on it's face with a hefty amount of thick lacing. and it's a really intricate pattern the lace creates, nice too look at for sure!

Oh yeah, it's a robust nose!! Fresh roastie coffee, oats and grains, grainy-heat, thick, malty sweetness with peanutbutter, and very dark chocolate. It's rounded out very well with herbs and subtle spices deep down. It doesn't get any more aromatic than this!

This is a full, hefty malt body with huge complexity. roastie Hawaiin coffee, thick grains, hardy oats, with a very thick and heady oatmeal effect. This brings in the that wonderful full feeling! This is basically a meal ina mini-snifter! slight fruity sweetness deep in the malt and a sublime balance with all of the flavor's. The hops provide a dry, herbal and earthy finish with a mild heat that only adds further complexity. The feel is amazing, round but dry just like a traditional big stout should be.

Oh boy, this is the real deal. classic in every aspect.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

Glass: Brandy Snifter

A: Thick and dark. Creamy tan head.

S: Aromas of coffee, slight vanilla, chocolate.

T: Wonderful creamy mouth feel, lots of coffee, both bitter and sweet, some chocolate and oatmeal notes.

M: Low carbonation and wonderful thick and syrupy.

D: Would go nice with dessert or have just a meal by itself. . .

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

this brew pours up black as endless space with a wet wood brown head. the nose is fresh oatmeal never touched, coffee beans labored by human hands, and irresistible chocolate as if you have lived 25 years and you are tasting chocolate for the first time. But then, you haven't really lived at all....yet. it tastes the same as it smells. But wow. Damn good. I think even Edgar Allan Poe would be at writer's block upon tasting this divine concoction. Very roasty malts, nice bitter coffee, full bodied, medium carbo. In a way, its similar to having a cool summer breeze blow gently across your face as your feet hang down into a nice lukewarm body of water and not a care in the world crosses into your nirvana state of mind.

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into a brandy snifter for lunch today.

A: Dark and almost as thick as Hersey's syrup. No light coming through this beer, even near the edge of the glass. A nice creamy tan head sitting on top.

S: Very appetizing coffee and chocolate.

T: Wow, a lot more coffee than I was expecting. Bitter, chocolaty, but smooth and creamy. Really nice.

M: Great, so great. Smooth, low carbonation, just really nice.

D: It went so fast, super easy to drink. Might be a little rich to drink too much too often.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into my Duvel tulip at 58 degrees.

This one is pitch black with a light cocoa colored head. The nose is huge with fresh coffee and dark chocolate. Tons of espresso and rich gooey chocolate on the palate. A hit of hops at the end. Really long finish. The body is big, but not huge. Very smooth, very creamy. Really delicous. I could see trying this for breakfast at some point, too. Will intend on picking up a 4-pack each year - great stuff!

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Decided to have one for breakfast today. I'm about to go to bed though. I work nights.

A - Black as sin and thick as hell. Beautiful. Just a smattering of head that fades almost instantly. Could use a larger head but it's hard to complain.

S - Rich malt, coffee and hints of chocolate. I was really hoping for a little more out of this.

T - Mostly coffee with the oatmeal coming in second. The chocolate melds in there well and it has a slight bitter finish. Just a touch of alcohol.

M - Thick and chewy just like I love it.

D - It's a bit rich but the flavor makes you want to keep going.

3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance: black with a minimal head

Smell:burnt malt, dark coffee, small note of chocolate

Taste: expresso, grain, small chocolate, with a bready aftertaste

Mouthfeel: heavy body, thick, and bitter

Drinkability: The first few sips were harsh, but I found myself liking this more and more as I drunk it. This is a heavy stout that is a sipper. I could have two and will have this again. I do like KBS better though.

3.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Received in BIF from Alan, thanks a bundle man. Bottle consumed on 4/13.

Pours a beautiful dark with nice dark brown head that rapidly leaves. Smell is decent with strong dark chocolate sense. The flavor is intense, with an incredibly dark coffee roast dominating, and an equally dark chocolate rounding it out. Its smooth and not syrupy like other breakfast stouts I've had as of late. If there's a downside to the drink, it is that its quite heavy, and I couldn't see myself having more than one or two of these in a night.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a deep seductive black, fluffy tan head that fades pretty fast.

Smells like coffee, oats, roasted nuts, all sorts of earthy herbal scents.

Smooth, thick, creamy, wow, this is wonderful. Everything I expected is there, coffee and roasted malts in abundance, smooth oatmeal. I am in awe of this beer.

That, and the 8% ABV is well hidden, I could drink these all day long.

3.98/5  rDev -11.9%

A= Pours like oil. A surprisingly pleasant one finger head comes from it that's a darker brown color leaving great lacing and lasts throughout the entire drink.
S= Chocolate and coffee dominate mostly chocolate though. I swear I can actually smell eggs though. I don't believe it myself but I think I do.
T= SOOO much coffee. but nothing like the coffee bender. Really beery while being coffee like. very good chocolate character as well. A small amount of smokiness is also present
M= Average carb and a dry finish
D= Pretty good. I'm liking it but I don't know if it's as good as everyone says. Great beer don't get me wrong but I dunno about how AMAZING it is.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A- Pours a thick black with a huge foamy tan head. Solid retention and lacing.

S- Alcohol lingers in the glass. Notes of coffee and dark sweet chocolate.

T- Sweet and chocolatey, slightly burnt coffee. Kind of woody.... The malty sweetness is fantastically balanced with a pleasant grassy hoppiness.

M- Super smooth and creamy. This brew is like liquid silk on the palate. Carbonation is perfect, alcohol is well hidden, ful bodied without being syrupy.

D- Excellent!!! This is one hell of a brew, well worth a try.

4.17/5  rDev -7.7%

Founders Breakfast Stout is more commonly a Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. For my personal preferences, it is very strong. I had a Founders Imperial Stout alongside a Breakfast Stout and I found the Imperial Stout to be much more drinkable despite the higher ABV. Dont get me wrong. This is a sweet beer that I would drink any day of the week, just not quite the Founder RIS...My Fave.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company