Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,627
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 14,419 | Reviews: 3,606
4.43/5  rDev -2%

Decided to have one for breakfast today. I'm about to go to bed though. I work nights.

A - Black as sin and thick as hell. Beautiful. Just a smattering of head that fades almost instantly. Could use a larger head but it's hard to complain.

S - Rich malt, coffee and hints of chocolate. I was really hoping for a little more out of this.

T - Mostly coffee with the oatmeal coming in second. The chocolate melds in there well and it has a slight bitter finish. Just a touch of alcohol.

M - Thick and chewy just like I love it.

D - It's a bit rich but the flavor makes you want to keep going.

3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance: black with a minimal head

Smell:burnt malt, dark coffee, small note of chocolate

Taste: expresso, grain, small chocolate, with a bready aftertaste

Mouthfeel: heavy body, thick, and bitter

Drinkability: The first few sips were harsh, but I found myself liking this more and more as I drunk it. This is a heavy stout that is a sipper. I could have two and will have this again. I do like KBS better though.

3.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Received in BIF from Alan, thanks a bundle man. Bottle consumed on 4/13.

Pours a beautiful dark with nice dark brown head that rapidly leaves. Smell is decent with strong dark chocolate sense. The flavor is intense, with an incredibly dark coffee roast dominating, and an equally dark chocolate rounding it out. Its smooth and not syrupy like other breakfast stouts I've had as of late. If there's a downside to the drink, it is that its quite heavy, and I couldn't see myself having more than one or two of these in a night.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a deep seductive black, fluffy tan head that fades pretty fast.

Smells like coffee, oats, roasted nuts, all sorts of earthy herbal scents.

Smooth, thick, creamy, wow, this is wonderful. Everything I expected is there, coffee and roasted malts in abundance, smooth oatmeal. I am in awe of this beer.

That, and the 8% ABV is well hidden, I could drink these all day long.

3.98/5  rDev -11.9%

A= Pours like oil. A surprisingly pleasant one finger head comes from it that's a darker brown color leaving great lacing and lasts throughout the entire drink.
S= Chocolate and coffee dominate mostly chocolate though. I swear I can actually smell eggs though. I don't believe it myself but I think I do.
T= SOOO much coffee. but nothing like the coffee bender. Really beery while being coffee like. very good chocolate character as well. A small amount of smokiness is also present
M= Average carb and a dry finish
D= Pretty good. I'm liking it but I don't know if it's as good as everyone says. Great beer don't get me wrong but I dunno about how AMAZING it is.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

A- Pours a thick black with a huge foamy tan head. Solid retention and lacing.

S- Alcohol lingers in the glass. Notes of coffee and dark sweet chocolate.

T- Sweet and chocolatey, slightly burnt coffee. Kind of woody.... The malty sweetness is fantastically balanced with a pleasant grassy hoppiness.

M- Super smooth and creamy. This brew is like liquid silk on the palate. Carbonation is perfect, alcohol is well hidden, ful bodied without being syrupy.

D- Excellent!!! This is one hell of a brew, well worth a try.

4.17/5  rDev -7.7%

Founders Breakfast Stout is more commonly a Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. For my personal preferences, it is very strong. I had a Founders Imperial Stout alongside a Breakfast Stout and I found the Imperial Stout to be much more drinkable despite the higher ABV. Dont get me wrong. This is a sweet beer that I would drink any day of the week, just not quite the Founder RIS...My Fave.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Chimay chalise at cellar temperature.

A-Deep opaque brown black like dirty motor oil. This thing looked black even in the pour. Dark tan head that froths up in the glass and subsides with sticky lacing. Looks enticing.

S-Burnt cocoa mocha with some sweet spice and a whiff of alcohol.

T-Utterly creamy sticky sweet vanilla hits the palate first, followed by bittersweet chocolate covered roasted dark coffee beans and a pleasing bitter aftertaste. Astounding...

M-Thick and creamy and chewy. I can't imagine a better mouthfeel for this style and taste....delish

D-This is extremely drinkable, but probably will not have another back to back as it would lose some of its impact, but this one is indeed a keeper. A good session opener or dessert beer...(or breakfast beer?)

This is a great treat, especially for those moments when I need a chocolate fix or a coffee taste fix, or both.

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

1000th Review for this beer... awesome!

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Seeing the kid eating oatmeal on the label is making me laugh, cause the guy at the liquor store thought the kid looked like the "gerber baby" so he kept calling it "that baby beer." If only...

A: Poured a jet black into my glass, sluggish, sloshing into the bottom. When you hold it up to the light you only get the faintest bit of a deep ruby color along the edges, otherwise, this beer is completely opaque. When the light reflects off the surface of the beer, it really does resemble motor oil or sludge.... Thick! Absolutely no head... not even a tease of a tan bubbles across the top. Slight lacing down the sides of the glass

S: Massive roasted coffee aromas fire the opening salvo on the nose - that of the deep, dark roast variety; through the rush of heavy roast, smoke and charred notes comes a fleeting moment of sweetness - I'm convinced it is vanilla; I'm also detecting an underlying sweetness akin to dark, bittersweet chocolate, as it tries to temper the huge roasted blast on the nose. Otherwise, this stout is as close to a warm mug of black coffee as that profile dominates from the outset.

T: Much like the nose, huge roasted notes right out of the gate; the bite from a heavy roast coffee bean flavor is front and center, followed by a rush of bittersweet baker's chocolate to lend some supporting sweetness. Mid sip the complexities kick into overdrive: the oats coming through provide a slightly sweet, creaminess that weaves into a charred/smoky flavor, like lingering cigar smoke; then there is a hint of dark fruit - like chocolate-covered cherries. A secondary wave of residual coffee bitterness rides long through the finish, which is slightly dry and gradually warming... obviously the alcohol is quickly making its presence known.

M: Full bodied. This beer has a low, but nicely measured, carbonation which leaves a slightly prickly sensation across the tongue - just enough to cut through the oily weight on the palate. Perhaps a bit chewy, but not nearly as thick as other imperial stouts I have tried.

D: At 8.3%, this beer does have some kick to it - a warming sensation without feeling overly boozy. The waves of roasted coffee and chocolate flavors try to hold off the alcohol as long as they can, but it slowly creeps in near the end of the glass to remind you that this is an imperial stout after all. Drinkability is quite nice for 8%+ ABV stout, but I think this is best enjoyed as a sipper. Top shelf this stout, one that deserves its praise and one I would definitely seek out again, even if a tad pricier than some competitors ($12+ for 4).

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

Wow what a beer! Chocolate timess a few!!!

this beer is smooth super, chocolate comes through on so many levels. The abv, is fairly well hidden for sure. Very complex flavor. Easy to understand on first sip. Thick, dark, sweet, heavenly~!!

Grab a 4 pack of this is your taste calls for a thick body, and sweet overall characteristics.

4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

My very first review. Finally got to try this beer. Pours pitch black with brown head. I mainly got coffee aromas. The taste was quite smooth with tastes of coffee and bitter choclate. I was hoping for a little more balance. I enjoyed this beer but I thought the Kentucky Bourban Breakfast Stout is better. Definetely a very good double/imperial stout. I still think Alesmith Speedway, Victory Storm King, Brooklyn Black Choclate Stout, and Southern Tier Choklat are better beers

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Acquired in my first trade, with theghost3. Served at cellar temp in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - A deep, powerful black with a thin, quick dissipating dark brown head. Leaves a decent bit of lacing.

S - Lots of fresh roasted coffee and chocolate with a backing of sweet & bitter toffee.

T - Less intense than I expected, but still nicely flavored. Once again, the coffee and chocolate are upfront in all their oily, dark glory. Tastes like more of the bitterness comes from the coffee, little hops on the aftertaste. The oatmeal seems to keep things balanced, with a nice hint of sweetness on the finish.

M - Surprisingly mild on body, with the fairly heavy weight and active carbonation balancing it to slightly syrupy with a smooth feel.

D - The 8% ABV is hidden well and the bitterness is no more rough on the palate than a cup of good, dark coffee. Could definitely have another of these if I had more; would be great for a Sunday breakfast or brunch.

Overall - I wanted to try this one before I went full bore and asked around for the big brother, KBS. I definitely enjoyed this brew though. It's complex yet well balanced, and loaded with rich coffee flavor. Must seek out more.

4.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Had this on Tap in a goblet at the Kite and Key in Philly. Started off the night right.

Had a nice thick head over a black body. Strong coffee aroma. Felt thick and creamy to the tongue, finished a little dry but not so much as I immediately needed another drink.

Good coffee and burnt chocolate flavors hit me immediately. Solid malt profile. Definitely lived up to the hype on BA but didn't surpass it.

As the name suggets, I think this would be a good breakfast beer with a cinnamon french toast drenched in maple syrup.

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I have waited ages to try this beer and finally, I am able to. Poured up absolutely black with a light brown 2 finger head that stayed in place for several minutes; looks terrific! Smell is wonderful with coffee dominating and a slight earthiness detectable deep down. Taste is coffee flavours from start to finish with a slight earthy hop bitterness augmenting the coffee on the finish. Mouthfeel is quite heavy with *just* enough carbonation. Terrific and worthy of 5,0 in my opinion! The 8,3%abv is rather well concealed, too, making this very drinkable (all things considered). A very well crafted stout that represents the style well. I'll certainly seek this out in the future.

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Why oh why does Founders insist on twist off caps on everything they produce? Not a good idea but quite the enjoyable brew.

A massive nimbus, fluffy, tan, cloud in my nonic on St Pats day. Pours sludge-like. A suprisingly mild nose, but I get chocolate and molasses. More chocolate as it warms and after a few swirls. Thick mouthfeel and also tastes like a chocolate shake. Mild coffe grind bite in the finish. This is thick and chewy like a fat slice of bread. A deliciusly drinkable treat. A little milder than expected, but I like that. Porterish and enjoyable double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

Obtained thru trade with Gibby in PA. Thanks.

Appearance- Pours a thin brown head with poor retention and next to no lacing, bubbles dissipate much like soda. Beer is an opaque black.

Smell- Bitter chocolates and roasty coffee

Taste- First coffee than lots of bitter chocolate and a finally roasty bitter malt flavor that carries on.

Mouthfeel- Moderately carbonated, yet the bubbles have too much fizz for stout. Palate coating flavor.

Drinkability- Lots of bitterness and alcohol tamp down drinkability.

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Some beers are love at first sip - and this was one. Big and bold, without being cloying or overpowering. Strong coffee flavor backed up with a hefty, slightly sweet malt. Makes no apologies for the RIS heritage and takes it on to a new level with the coffee note twist.

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter - fridge temp - 2008

Appearance: Pours a motor oil black right from the pour to the glass. The head is a slight 1/8" tall brown color, with little retention and slight lacing.

Smell: Wow. This is a whole new realm for me. It literally smells like a sweet cup of fresh coffee. Roasted coffee beans, milk chocolate, and some roasted malt. Wow.

Taste: Roasted malt, dark chocolate, and plenty of coffee flavor. This beer really does pay homage to coffee. Quite a roasty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Roasty like coffee with a nicely dry/sweet balance. The beer isn't cloying with sweetness. Slight boozy finish.

Drinkability: A very fine RIS. It absolutely screams with coffee, so you'd better enjoy it. I could drink a bunch of these, even in the morning for a quick pick-me-up. Awesome

4.46/5  rDev -1.3%

A--Pours pitch black that when held to the light only reveals any highlight at the very top. Almost no head with a standard pour.

S--Smells like you just walked into a Starbucks. Heavy coffee bean scent invades the nostrils, but there are small hints of chocolate and caramel in the background. Perfect smell for the style.

T--Tastes exactly like coffee that has been sitting cold in the pot for 8 hours. And I hate coffee. But you want to know what is weird? I love this beer. I love this style. It might be my favorite style. How can a guy who hates coffee love coffee beer so much, especially a beer that tastes like stale coffee? Its like I have the twilight zone of taste buds. Maybe I actually do like coffee but just haven't had a brand that I like yet. Perhaps I am akin to someone who says they hate beer but have only tried macro lagers. Who knows. This is great though, the only thing keeping it from a 5 is the one dimensional flavor. A great one dimension.

M--Medium to heavy bodied, absolutely delicious balance of creaminess and carbonation.

D--This is very easy to get down for 8% ABV and the alcohol is well hidden, but two bottles would surely be enough and its such a blast of coffee that I probably would only want it once a month, tops.

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into a goblet from a bottle aged approx 7 months.

A: Total inky blackness. Thick viscous pour that results in zero head. Just what I wanted to see...

S: All sorts of good stuff coming up from this one! Roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate, touches of alcohol and no hops whatsoever.

T: Oh man! I see why this bad boy is rated so highly! A beautiful blend of roasted oats, coffee, and baking cocoa up front that melds into a slight noble hop presence and finishes with a seemingly endless coffee aftertaste. As the beer warmed up I started to taste a bit of dark fruit, like chocolate covered raisons. Magnificent.

M: Upon the first few sips I was a bit thrown off by the carbonation level, which seemed a bit too much, but as the beer sat for a while it smoothed out into a nice creamy, thick brew.

D: Surprisingly high for the amount of flavor packed in. If it wasn't for the rarity of this beer in my area, I could put them down with no trouble. Guess I will have to stick with the Wake n' Bake though.

4.54/5  rDev +0.4%

When cracking open this beer, I instantly put my nose to the opening, and thought to myself, "wow." That's all I could think about because of the huge coffee notes that come through along with hints of bitter dark chocolate and some malty bready flavours in the background. It also has a hint of sweetness, like lactose or something. The beer is black as pitch, with a centimeter brown/tan head that dissipate rather quickly. I wanted it to stay around longer because it looked so god damned beautiful. So remember how I said wow when I smelled it? Well, fuck, it's just as much as a wow for the flavour. When I took a sip, there were loads and loads of flavours that jumped into my mouth, coffee, chocolate, oats, and roastiness. The flavour is absolutely stunning, it's balance and complexity are through the roof; at first there is a coffee flavour with a nice chocolate burst after, then after they started to linger off my tongue a slight oily slickness and oat flavour came through. There is also a nice bitterness that follows. The only downfall is that the coffee flavour is a bit to much in the front, but I'm assuming it fades when it ages.

The mouthfeel is fucking perfect: it's thick and creamy. I could also drink quite a few of these because I just love the taste of coffee.

A- Thin tan head completely opaque with great retention, ideal at slightly below a cool temperature 45-50.

S- After a sifter of the KBS, I found the Breakfast to have mostly Chocolate aromas, with some roasted/coffee coming through as I drank it.

T- Complexity improves as it warms. Liquid Breakfast, I actually had malted pancakes before drinking this. I would even recommend trying it over vanilla ice cream or with a piece of apple crisp. It tastes roasty and chocolatey at the beginning with the dark fruit and bitterness of an imperial at the end. Worth the drive if you are within 100 miles of a distributor.

M- Definitely an oatmeal feel with the malty sweetness on the sides of the tongue. It surprised me once again how subtle any alcohol feel/dryness are left afterword. They could amp up the ABV even more and it wouldn't be turned down.

Serving type: on-tap at Founders

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

A- An aggressive pour of this jet black liquid into an imperial pint glass produced a large brown head that stuck around for a while and left some nice lacing.

S- Dark chocolate, roasted barley, coffee and burnt toast are the most powerfully aromas in this beer. Sneaking through the roasted malt are some molasses, oats and and dark fruit aromas.

T- Some mild sweetness of dark fruit and brown sugar up front. Then some bitter coffee bite leads into a nice roasty flavor Like a thick piece of toast that is charred on the outside but has nice roasted nuts and barley on the inside. Drys out in the end and leaves your mouth with some mild sweetness and dry bitterness.

M- Thick chewy mouth feel with some nice alcohol warmth and bitter bite. Some people say Guinness is a meal... give them this beer to try.

Overall this is a very good stout. Great mouth feel and nice smell. There may be to much going on in the flavor to get everything but still very good.

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into Sam Smith pint glass. Looks like motor oil coming out of the bottle. Solid black in the glass, no light coming though. About 1/2" brown head. Leaves a nice foamy cap after settling. Some spotty lacing. Aroma is very complex with lots of dark roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate and roasted coffee. More of the coffee comes through on the taste, which is also nice and complex with dark chocolate and roasted dark malt. Finish is dry, roasted malt, with some hoppy bitterness. A little alcohol is present on the finish. Feels full and slick in the mouth, low carbonation adds to the smoothness. Very much a sipper, but a delicious one.

4.86/5  rDev +7.5%

Founders Breakfast Stout
12 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

I was super pumped to find this beer and the Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout at my local beer store.

Pours a jet black, completely opaque with a rustic brown head on top. Medium sized head, but unbelievable trails and just a great looking beer. Reminds me of dark ink.

The aroma here is awesome - whiffs of roasted coffee beans and chocolate. Roasted, mellow campfire notes in there too. A complex nose to say the least.

What we got here is a wonderful double stout. So good in fact that this beer just prompted me to change my favorite style in my profile.

A thick, yet chewy mouthfeel with a rich chocolate syrup that boasts a silky smooth blast. Burnt coffee and espresso notes with a speciality dark chocolate profile. A touch of dark fruit as well, perhaps cherries dipped in milk chocolate.

Gotta love the serious presence of quality hops on the finish. The hops are biting and acidic, but greatly help to balance out the beer.

An excellent beer - highly recommended.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company