Join our email list →

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,604 | Hads: 15,466
4.59/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer comes with a lot of hype, so I'm trying to taper expectations as I pour this double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. [I let it sit for about 30 minutes out of the fridge before cracking the bottle open, but it still feels probably a little colder than I want it... but I want beer now.]

Pours a completely opaque black. No highlights shining through even when held up to the light. Very, very little head, just enough of a layer to cover the surface of the beer... maybe not quite a hard enough pour. Tan head dissipates quickly.

I can smell it from where it sits on the table, a foot or more away. Smells like chocolate malt. I stick my nose in there and there's just a feast of chocolate, or chocolate malt, or both. Wow, it smells great. I can detect even a bit of coffee mixed in, but I don't I'd have been able to identify it if I didn't know it were there.

Wow. Taste is great. All chocolate malt and actually chocolatiness up front, with just a hint of alcohol warming in the after taste. Even a couple seconds after that the coffee flavor really introduces itself and lingers on my palate. Each sip after doesn't hit with as much a rush of flavor as the first, but it is still damn good. Despite the slight warming, the over 8% ABV is well hidden.

Nice and thick and heavy in the feel. Absolutely nothing lacking in that department. Very drinkable, but the flavor is so strong I think one would be all I need. I can't see cracking another after this first one. Perfect beer to take your time on, and I think I could actually see drinking this with breakfast... especially with breakfast meats, like bacon, sausage, or a ham omelet.

Hype around a beer can do one of two things... it can set the bar too high, so the actual thing leaves you disappointed; or, it can make you think it is better than it really is. Definitely hasn't ruined the experience for me, and I think it would have been great even if I'd known nothing of this beer going in. No way to know, but I definitely recommend this beer for stout lovers.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

A- Dark murky brown with a cream colored creamy head.

S- Huge whiffs of black coffee, faintly dark chocolate and resiny

T- Coffee, coffee, coffee. Dark coffee hits big like raw grinds up front and rides throughout. Roasted malt astringency to the point of burnt adds to the herbal coffee bite. Slight hint of dark bitter chocolate. A slight milky oat smoothness tries to break through the huge layer of coffee/malt bitterness for a split second but it loses. Slight warming alcohol in the finish.

M- A bit thick and chewy but not quite full bodied, lots of smoothness with a bit of carbonation.

D- Coffee is not my bag, so right off the bat this isn't really my kind of brew. That being said I still think this is a somewhat overrated brew. There isn't nearly enough balance with all of the twangy, resiny, astringency from the coffee/burnt malt flavors. Maybe you have to be a coffee lover to really appreciate this beer.

3.38/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a thick tan head which leaves lots of sticky lacing.

Smells like a used coffee cup along with dark chocolate and a trace of tobacco.

Tastes even more like coffee, as it overpowers almost any trace of the chocolate taste. The alcohol is well hidden and pretty much impossible to detect, even as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel was a lot thinner than I was expecting, but about average for this style brew.

If you're into this style beer, and especially loads of coffee, this will make a nice sipper. It's tempting in so many ways to compare this to The Abyss, but in nearly every way it falls a bit short IMO.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to beachbum1975 for including a couple of these in a recent trade....

A - Individually done, baby blue waxed cap marked 09/08 with silver marker on the back of the bottle. Pours pitch black with a small deep tan head leaving little lacing.

S - Coffee and bitter chocolate with a very slight burnt malt aroma. Alcohol is not detectable.

T - Coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Not nearly as sweet as I was expecting, or really at all. Very smooth flavor probably due to the oats and absolutely delicious.

M - Body is moderate. Full flavored, but slightly watery in feel around the edges. Very nice.

D - I greatly prefer the "Kentucky" version of this brew. That being said, this is still an excellent example of how good a coffee/oatmeal/chocolate stout can be. I'm glad to have received more than one of these cause I'm ready for another.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Deep jet black appearance with dark brown head and nice lacing.

Smells mostly of fresh roasted coffee beans with a hint of dark chocolate.

Taste a nice balance of coffee, dark chocolate and toasted malt. Aftertaste is light coffee grounds. Cannot taste the high abv in this beer.

Extremely smooth mouthfeel with a moderate amount of carbonation that I wasn't expecting.

This is very drinkable for this style. I'm not a coffee drinker, but this goes down nicely. Alchohol is very well hidden.

Great beer especially if you are a coffee/dark chocolate consumer or if you enjoy this style. Does not disapoint!

3.71/5  rDev -17%

Memorable Quality: I actually had it for breakfast. The hops and alcohol were more pronounced than I expected, giving a nice dimension off of the roasted malts. It's a very solid and drinkable imperial stout, but not in the class of Abyss and Speedway.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured this from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip. Utter blackness with a thin, khaki head but determined lacing. Handsome as hell.

Smell. Toasted malts, coffee with cream, dark chocolate and oats. Awesome.

Taste. Mmm. Toasted malts are preeminent. Bittersweet chocolate and burnt coffee rush in as well with a slight wholesome goodness of cream mixed in. A slight tinge of booze gives way to a bitter finish where all the flavors blend together into delicious harmony.

Mouthfeel. Full bodied, tight carbonation but not overwhelming. It throws it's weight around but it isn't so thick you can't drink it down.

Drinkability. High. This one is easy to sip on and I can see myself having two at the end of a particularly satisfactory meal to finish it all off. This is one hell of a stout.

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

near pitch black, shades of dark brown around the edges. the head is a wonderful dark tan, but stays small and fades quickly. Minimal spotty lacing on the glass.

huge roasted malt & oat character, definite dark roast coffee, dark chocolate and some vanilla. smells like everything used to make this beer was roasted one way or another

thick, slick and oily. wow they got the feel of this beer down PERFECTLY. The taste is lots of coffee, huge roasted malts, an oaty character, vanilla. Lots of sweetness. Chocolate surfaces more in the finish & also as this beer warms up. Delectable. Earthy hops come through a little & continue to grow in the long-term aftertaste. Very faint booze in the finish.

Pretty much everything about this stout makes it really enticing. The body is hands down one of the most solid I've ever had in a stout. The roasty flavor really hits me over the head though and it wouldn't continue to be desirable (for me) for more than one glass.

3.01/5  rDev -32.7%

Thanks to rmasen for this one; I had been looking forward to it ever since I'd tried Péché Mortel.

Pours a completely opaque black with a small ochre head that recedes to leave some nice lacing. Smells of thoroughly roasted malt; so roasted in fact that there's no real conventional malt taste. It's essentially all bitter coffee with faint chocolate notes. Burnt, bitter flavors dominate the taste with gobs of coffee and some dark cacao. Earthy character with an astringent finish. As hard as it is for an RIS to be unbalanced, this one is; a dry stout beefed up with spent Folger's grinds. It does have a thick feel, but it's too oily to be a real positive. Definitely a sipper. Maybe my expectations were too high, but this was disappointing.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz. bottle, consumed 8:30 am Saturday morning.

A: Black as night. When back lit, no light shines through. A smooth pour only produces about a half finger of deep brown head. Some lace, but does not "stick" around long.

A: Strong roasted coffee, just like popping open the coffee grounds in the morning. Some chocolate, but not as strong as I was expecting. I also get molasses, some spiced gingerbread, and nuts.

T: Big coffee and espresso. Cocoa and oats are big as well. This is probably the best Double oatmeal stout I have come across. The roasted malts are huge, but you do get some earthy hop flavor also. The only downfall I can see is the slight watery hint on the back end.

M: Silky smooth, full bodied stout. Again just a touch watery when it finishes, but that does not distract from the overall greatness of this beer.

D: I am having this for breakfast, so that coupled with the 8.3% ABV, I wouldn't be having too many of these. But overall, this is one of the best beers I have had to date. Will be picking this one up whenever I can. Great! Skal.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

After my third bottle of this, I decided I needed to review such a highly regarded brew. Pours very thin dark brown head, resulting in little to no lacing. The stout itself is black as night. A very enticing aroma, strong coffee, maybe the most intense, but deliciously so, coffee aroma I have encountered. The is also a sweet chocolate background. Taste follow the aroma in a perfectly balanced, but strong, coffee & chocolate blend. The is a slight bitterness, as well. A surprisingly light feel in the mouth, even with apparent carbonization. This stout is a delicious treat, I had one in line to buy Sexual Chocolate at 7 am, and contend it fully lives up to its name, an excellent brew.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to OlieIPA for giving me a bottle of this beer.

A- Poured into a New Belgium snifter, this beer pours solid black with a thick head that's dark tan in color. Some great looking lacing clings to the glass.

S- Bold notes of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted/burnt malts, and anise. There's a great creamy quality to the smell of this beer.

T- The taste is primarily of coffee and chocolate with a finish that leaves pleasantly bitter flavors of espresso and burnt malts.

M- The mouthfeel is full-bodied but with watery edges. I expected a thicker texture, but it still has a nice velvety-smooth feel.

D- I found this beer to be surprisingly drinkable. The ABV is 8.3% but it's hidden very well.

A great beer. I prefer this regular breakfast stout over Founder's bourbon barrel-aged version.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Nice fluffy coffee colored head and poured a nice deep brown color. Head sustains itself for quite some time. looks promising before even tasting it. A nice coffee taste to it with a touch of chocolate. Alcohol taste subdued. A nice and filling brew. I recommend.

4.01/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Pours like overused motor oil. Dark as looking at a moonless night with a blindfold on. Slim cappuccino colored head, slow building, fast leaving. I was promised a voluminous head, maybe it was just this sample, I'll be sure to amend in the future if necessary.

S: Dark coffee aromas, dark chocolate, slightly smokey and ashy, wet tobacco, and a sweet milk-like lactic note.

T: First wave of bitter coffee-- straight espresso, Turkish, French-pressed for too much time. Second wave--chocolate milk, fudge, caramel. Ends with a slightly sweet malted milk ball character.

M: Dense, viscous, oily.

D: Definitely a tasty little number. Don't know if I could have multiples of this beer in a sitting given it's ABV and coupled with it's overall profile. Very drinkable per the sample.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle pouring into a tulip...

After reading about this beer, I was anxious to give it a try. Thanks to the web - I now have a 4 pack in my hands (well 3 as the first one's almost gone).

A good 1/2 inch head on the brew. Smell of coffee, bitter chocolate, etc.

Very smooth upon the first drink. Mouthfeel was about right. I'd love to try this on tap.

Worthy.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into imperial pint glass

A - Pours out of the bottle as a pitch black sludge with a respectable 1/2 inch toffee colored head that rests nicely. Laces well, but falls fast. Opaque.

S - Strong roasted malt and bitter chocolate flavors, with hints of roasted espresso. A nice woody alcohol scent presents itself as well. Sweet molasses. Big, expressive nose on this beer.

T - Starts sweet with molasses and brown sugar flavors, then the extra bitter dark chocolate takes over. Similar to the scent in its roasted balance and inclusion of espresso. Some alcohol spice plays a role.

M - Heavy, slightly viscous body. Oatmeal smooths things out a bit, but its still very bitter.

D - An impressive stout with highly roasted flavor and a decent alcohol content. Certainly worth trying.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a pitch black body with an good coffee colored head. Great roasted coffee bean smell, with some dark chocolate in there.

Tastes of coffee and oatmeal, very chocolaty with a bitter hop bite to it. A little spicy in a way but evens out to a greatly balanced stout. Cant leave out the malty flavour that tastes a little darker than usual.

Incredibly smooth, can easily sit down to a 4 pack and pack on a pretty good buz. only 8% which is the lowest abv i've had in a stout but flavour fullfils in every way and is one of the best stouts i've had period.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tough beer to review, but it was such an excellent beer I figured it was certainly worth trying.

It pours pitch black with a large tan head that lasts throughout and leaves lacing down the entire glass.

Smells strongly of coffee and toasted malts. After taking two or three sniffs I could also get the dark chocolate smell that I was looking for. This is a great smelling beer.

Tastes like strong coffee that has been left on the burner for a little bit too long, but it isn't unpleasant by any means. The burnt coffee flavor balances excellently with the toasted malts, oats, and chocolate flavors. All of these flavors balanced together perfectly. Has some alcohol added to the mix at the end of the sip.

Full bodied, and super smooth. As it got warmer it got better too.

This is an excellent stout that I am glad that I had the privledge of tasting. It smelled great, and tasted even better. This would be the first beer that I would recommend to anyone that is a stout fan.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%

This is one of those world class brews that I just couldn't wait to get my hands on. Props to Big Tony (wvbeergeek) for the bottle he sent.
Love the Founders artwork, this pours an incredible blackness with a very fine (almost nitro-looking) head.

Aroma is toasty burnt malt and espresso. Not getting a large chocolate presense, but getting some smokey wood.

Taste I immediatly get the smoothness of the oatmeal, with some syrupy burnt coffee flavors. This was the last brew in the flight and thus got to warm up for about 15 minutes. Yum!

I do get some chocolate in the later taste and the aftertaste for sure, but I was surprised that it appeared secondary to the burnt coffee. It is a thick brew...not up to DarkLord or Abyss, but pretty chewy. The alcohol is a bit fusal and has a bit of a bite, surprising for a beer with an abv no more than 8.5% It's a slow drinker, and very much enjoyed!

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Pours a beautful midnight pitch black. Immediate lacing around the edges with a nice tan head. The smell was complex, immediate rush of coffee and chocolate. Roasted mixture of pure bliss for the nose. The taste was great as chocolate and coffee emerged first with nice roasted malt. I was a little upset I didnt get a better taste of oatmeal. The mouthfeel left perfect coating and smooth flow. Very nice and thick stout that is very drinkable. Believe the rating, this is one solid stout.

4.13/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to jwinship83 for the trade

A - Solid jet black in color, small chocolate brown layer.

S - Dark roasted coffee beans

T - Smooth java roasted malts and chocolate richness.

M - Frothy palate coating, thick bodied, low carbonation

D - Easy drinker here if you can handle the java. Smooth and rich.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Finally time to review this one.Poured from a bottle. Pours with a decent brown head. Color is just plain jet black, light isnt excapting from the color of this. The carbination is fairly low. The smell is of coffee and a bit of chocolate which is just great. The taste at first is of cofffe and some chocolate. Followed up by a nice little bit of bitterness. The mouthfeel isnt as thick as i would thought this would be. but it has great smoothness to it. Overall this is a great beer which does a great job balancing out all the flavors it has going on.

3.28/5  rDev -26.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Meantime snifter, Founders Breakfast Stout is an oily pitch black with a dark, bronze tinged tan head that leaves scattered, foamy lace. Served around 55-60F.

Smell is bitter bakers chocolate, over roasted coffee and dark crystal malts, light alcohol vapors, sweetening as it warms.

Taste is on the boozy side, more bitter chocolate, some acrid coffee grounds lingering on the finish. As it warmed, the sweetness of the dark crystals starts to come out more, but they have tanginess that I never care for.

Mouthfeel is fantastically smooth, a bit on the drier side, medium-heavy bodied.

Drinkability is ok, this isn't really my favorite style, and this one is to acrid and hot for my tastes. Nice mouthfeel though.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

The beer pours a deep black with almost no head to speak of. Subtle coffee smell but the taste is packed with coffee up front but it seems to be a little more subdued towards the finish. Slight alcohol burn. The alcohol isn't as hidden as other big flavored stouts. The drinkability is good, not great.

Overall, this is a pretty good coffee stout.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%

Black. Pitch black. And oh so tasty looking. Sometimes I feel appearance is an overrated attribute, but it's something worth noting this time.

This beer is a perfect blend of all my favorite flavors. Dark chocolate dominates, with near perfect balance between bitter and sweet flavors. Roasted coffee and toasted breads fit in nicely. This beer is starting to sound like it literally is for breakfast.

The aromas aren't quite as dominate as the flavor, but compare nicely.

Smooth, creamy, full mouthfeel. It hits every node on you tongue and lingers until your next sip. Very easy drinking Imperial Stout.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company