Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,662
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,430 | Hads: 14,503
4.41/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at the Flying Saucer (Charlotte, NC) on 1/17/09. Served in a balloon style cervoise.

Pours a dense pitch black with a 1/2 finger of smooth and creamy burnt mocha colored head. Retention is quite awesome, with a most excellent flareup that leaves just a huge cascade of lacing and brown oils behind. I'm just loving the way this looks in the glass. Fantastic! The aroma is just lush with roasted coffee and espresso notes. Sweet supportive notes of chocolate and lactose balance out the nose. Some floral hops and light heat pull up the rear.

The taste starts with a nice roasted coffee bitterness that just blasts the palette. A thick tasting mix of chocolate and caramel sweeten things up some underneath. Finishes, well, bitter, bitter, and more bitter. I love the nice dry lingering bitterness this puts on the palette. Good stuff. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a big creamy feel that just loads the mouth with flavor and substance.

No matter how this is served, this is a certificable classic coffee beer. I never pass up a chance to try this on draft. Great stuff! (1,086 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Acquired via trade from jpm30, so a big Thank You goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of roasted coffee, creamy chocolate, oats and dark malts.

T: The taste is exactly what you would expect, creamy, malty and full of flavors of black coffee, dark chocolate and toasted oats. There's a mild but complimentary hops presence that provides a nice balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet with a touch of coffee & chocolate bitterness.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style, this is a very nice stout to relax with and drink a few. (858 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Now THIS is a beer, a man's beer. It's what you grab in the morning that will get you through the day. It's the Wheaties for beer drinkers, already mixed with your coffee. That aside, is it just me, or does the weird lookin kid on the label give anyone else the creeps? He looks like a 45 year old baby spooning crack into his mouth... anyways, here's my review, hope you enjoy it.

Note, just popping the cap unlocked this huge aroma of coffee and chocolate making me salivate like one of Pavlov's dogs.

A: Pours with a luscious rich chocolate covered head that fades pretty quickly. Its super dark colored that barely lets any light through, and the few photons making it through have been so distorted they're forever stained with darkness and probably traveled through time somehow. It doesn't pour super thick, but is much thicker than most beers.

N: OOooohhh yeahhhh!!! It's like super coffee espresso mating with chocolate and popping out babies of light alcohol. The roasted malt on the nose is so rich I can feel it charring my nasal cavity. A huge dark chalky chocolate aroma dances as it mingles with the roasted malts and coffee. A light alcohol finds its way through the crazy malts, coffee, and chocolate, to tingle your nose a bit. I think I detect a slight oat as well, feeding back into that breakfast theme. If only I could pour buttloads of chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and essence of pour roastedness into my oatmeal in the morning.

T: A heavy stouty flavors starts the taste, but it quickly changes to roasted malts. Those things dominate the taste big time. Some bitter dark chocolate and earthy charred taste start to come through as well followed by some alcohol. Then some more oats, yes it is for breakfast. A slight sweet chocolate milk runs down the back of your mouth and is mostly masked by the crazy strong flavors up front. I get some coffee on the taste, but nothing like what I expected from the plethora that poured out on the nose.

M: Pretty thick, but still slightly watery, enough so that you can actually drink it instead of having to chew it. The alcohol tingles the mouth all over. Pretty light on the carbonation.

F: Finishes semi dry surprisingly, but still has some sweet undertones. The earthy charred roasted chocolate stout bitterness flavor <taking a breath> really stick around for a bit as the liquid coats the mouth. I can almost taste the black flavor and darkness that come from it. It's like the flavor of "black". I also get a slight oat taste long after its over.

Final thoughts: A very big heavy stout. Pretty thick on taste and mouth, but not so much you can't drink it. It has a nice alcohol taste, but not overbearing. Toooons of roasted malts, chocolate malts, dark roasted tasty goodness, oats, hay... wait not that, and the essence of pure darkness. A great drinking beer, and it gets much better with age as I have experienced before. I'll probably save most of the case I got, but drink one from time to time to help me through the cold winter coming. (3,029 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -13%

Dry, powerful black ale.

Nice dark pour in the glass with a sepia head. Lacing lasts well, decent carbonation in the mouth. Less sweet than other Imperial Stouts. Lots of dry roasted malt flavors. Cocoa seems to be the aroma. Tastes of coffee grounds and burnt sugar. Hops do not seem to be a powerful as the 60 IBU claimed on the label. Surprisingly, the aftertaste is not all that bitter.

I enjoyed several bottles of these in Chattanooga. A good dark, rich drink when you don't want overkill on either the sugar or the hops. (529 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%

I had this on tap @ Bully's on Main in Columbia, Served chilled in a stemmed glass.

The color is black, it is opaque with thin tan cap w/ tiny beads. The lace clings in a spotty fashion. The aroma is full of coffee, very mild caramel with slight cocoa accents and a roasty overall nose. The feel is dry and roasty, but has a mild bitterness with slight fruitiness and silky feel that the oats give with medium body and gentle acidity.

The taste begins slightly nutty and sweet w/ mild caramel malt and launches into a roasty coffee flavor which is both earthy, spicy and slight bitter with mild burnt elements, but very mild char with the yeast giving an almost creamy and fruity tanginess which compliments the tannin from the dark grain well. The hop spice and roasted malt character is not too far to come off as harsh, just enough to let the beans contribute their delightful flavor with a very mild alcohol compliment in the semi-dry roasty finish. Overall a classic coffee stout, simple hones to goodness and you get the added benefit of a little cocoa for an all around mocha-like Imperial stout. I recommend this to anyone who likes stouts coffee or both! (1,168 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours pitch black with a dark tan head. Nose is coffee, molasses. Flavor is oustanding. Unbelievably thick and complex. Loads of coffee. Good amount of molasses. Massive malts. It's like a meal in a bottle. Feel is smooth on liquid and with a minimal carbonation. This is a damn good beer. Simply amazing and much better than I recall it being on-tap. (351 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -1.1%

Cheers to joe1510 for this one!

Pours ebony with 2+ fingers of chunky mocha head. Superior lacing & head retention

S: Chocolate & coffee grounds

T: Coffee, dryness & baker's chcolate up front. Semi-sweet chocolate & a bit of vanilla as this warms, plus the bottom of the coffee pot. Finished dry with baker's chocolate, iron & Folgers, damn near pulled a 5.0

MF: Oily, rich with moderate carbonation, just got chewier as time went by

Drinks pretty easy, the ABV is very masked, the coffee taste would get to me after a few or just completely win me over, not sure. Not a huge fan of coffee beers, but this is pretty nice, make me think of iced coffee with some booze mixed in. Worth the hype (698 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

First had: bottle at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Poured thick, dark black with a slight tan head. Sediment visible. Smells of roasted coffee and chocolate. Rich coffee and dark chocolate on the tongue, smooth malts and little perception of the relatively high alcohol. Thick body, but very smooth and velvety, and highly drinkable. (327 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Oh boy. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle acquired at a beer store near my work and served into a New Belgium goblet in me gaff in Los Feliz, California. I had never seen this in the LA area until recently. 8.3% confirmed. Expectations are through the roof; I had Kentucky Breakfast Stout and loved it. I'm hoping this also lives up to the hype. Cost was $6.99 (people on the East Cost are probably cringing).

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm considerably over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

As I poured, no head was forming so I upped the vigor considerably.

A: Pours a beautiful rich dark tan colour head half a finger thick with excellent cream. Retention is abysmal (maybe 20 seconds). Colour is a solid nontransparent jet black. It looks as it should for the style, but I would like to see better retention. It's a minor gripe. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Appears undercarbonated.

Sm: Heavy rich coffee java notes. Heavy coffee bitterness. It really slaps you upside the head. I get minor chocolate, roast, and oatmeal notes - sure. But strong coffee is dominant. An aggressive strong aroma that goes for the jugular. Dark malts. It's very assertive and bold.

No hops are detectable. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

T: Heavy coffee, with some bitterness there at the finish. Chocolate malts and a bit of chocolate alongside dark malts comprises the foundation. I'm a bit surprised actually; it lacks a substantial body. Not a usual characteristic of beers in the style. Oats are there smoothening it through and through. No real cream. No yeast or alcohol comes through. The coffee notes are rich and biting. Hopping is minimal and floral but barely detectable (just as it should be). A light undertone of warm sherry throughout. I imagine this will improve as it warms. Some raisin, even some molasses sure. I don't get any herbal notes as some have reported. A touch viney. No real caramel. No nuts here. It isn't "that kind" of imperial stout. Very delicately balanced and built. They knew what they were doing when they put this treat together. As it warms, I get more true milk chocolate notes (not merely chocolate malt).

Mf: I'm a bit taken aback at the blatant undercarbonation. It's naturally smooth from the oats, nicely wet, and quite chewy. Suits the flavours quite well, and it really evokes a clean breakfast beer - because who really wants carbonation in the morning. I understand the intentionality behind the choice, but that said I still think I'd prefer it creamier, thicker, and even a bit coarser and dryer. I like it as is, though; I'm just identifying personal preference.

Dr: I can definitely see myself having this for breakfast. Boy that'd be good. Very drinkable; I imagine the caffeine zing from the coffee could keep you steadily drinking it for some time. It's not at all in the creamy heavy thick arena of imperial stouts. It's more a sharp coffee imperial stout, and in that it's quite a success. I'm not disappointed with it, but I will say that I remember enjoying KBS far more than this offering. Still, Founders seems to always deliver - at least based on the few beers I've had from them. At $6.99, I wouldn't get this again, but would at $3.99 or better. A must-try for fans of the style; great for the style. It doesn't quite join the ranks of something like Brunch Weasel or Speedway stout in terms of coffee-centric imperial stouts, but it flirts with that level; pretty impressive at this price point. Hides its ABV delightfully well. I'll definitely be having this again, ideally aged or on draught. An understated, elegant beer. Bravo, Founders.

I initially gave it a B+, but changed it up to an A- because as it warmed, it got noticeably better. Give her some time once you pull her out of the fridge. It's worth it.

A-

Bottle from Duff27. Adding some brief notes; served into stemware.

A: Retention is better than the first review - a good 4 minutes. I think the glassware makes a big difference; I poured pretty lightly. Creamy, dark, appealing.

Sm: Strong black coffee. Evident bitterness. Very assertive. Evocative oatmeal too; oats are usually undetectable and contribute mainly to mouthfeel but they're evident here. I like that.

T: Heavy coffee with accompanying bitterness and roast. The coffee here is really genuine; it doesn't shy away from the raw coffee bean character.

Mf: Creamy, chewy, coarse. Perfect dryness.

Dr: A solid brew; lives up to its well earned reputation. Possibly the best value beer of its quality.

A-.

10/09/13 (Fresh FBS):

A: Soft complexion. Even lacing coats glass.

Sm: Sinful coffee w/ roasty, creamy, and espresso notes. Rich and decadent.

No hops/yeast.

Could use more roast. Coffee gets a bit too bitter. Room for more complexity/subtlety.

Above avg depth of flavour. Avg flavour intensity/duration for style.

B+ (4,958 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appears a dark fully opaque brand of oatmeal stout, unlike anything I've ever seen before. Pretty incredible full mocha tan head envelopes the dark astringently filled dark body that simply eats all light. No ruby highlights here to note just a full jet black zone of color spectrum absorption, that is a thing of beauty my friends. Head dwindles slowly with even bands of evenly dispersed lacing. Aromatics full of deep grains meaning oats and other cereal supplements that are simply remarkable when it comes to beer components. Dark roasted chocolate malt out does all other spectrums when that is all my senses are receiving, quite easily the most amazing beer aromatics I've come across since day one in the beer hunting I've embarked since age nineteen. Flavors come off full of deep dark coffee notes without any cream or sugar straight up just the way us "old timers" like it. If we were playing a gracious round of kegs and eggs I would be winning with this dark baker's chocolate dryness and roasted coffee goodness this beer has to offer what can I say, "I'm licking my bowl". Yes I know that doesn't sound to manly but when in the moment there's no power higher here on earth. Pure coffee grounds are repeated for me in a beet formula, did I mention I feel this position alone is bliss. Mouthfeel is one of the fullest in the land, with malt outweighing most comprehension of body this beer is fuller than it's custardized midwestern friend that can't be mistaken. Drinkability is great and will repeat in all it's fullness, I have a bottle aging here in the fridge that I won't forget too soon, wonderful stuff not overrated in the least. (1,651 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just picked up some of the new batch at Lakeview Binny's. Served in my trusty Surly pint glass.

A - Three fingers of medium-dark mocha foam that dissipates very slowly and leaves some patchy lacing. Black body with the tiniest sliver of dark brown at the bottom of the glass.

S - Dark roast coffee, baker's chocolate, roasted malts, light floral hoppiness, hint of tobacco and smoke, a little bit of dark fruits and vanilla. Pretty complex - it's what a coffee stout should taste like!

T - The taste has some pretty intense coffee bitterness, with more of a dark chocolate vibe happening. It's nicely balanced by sweet dark malts, vanilla, and a hint of fruit. Not as complex as the amazing smell (the light tobacco/smoke element is gone).

M - Low carbonation, super smooth and oatmealy, with a medium-thick body that's actually a little thinner than I remembered. It's like a slightly melted milkshake. Roasty and dry finish that I really like.

D - Damn, I put down most of this one in record time. The intense roastiness and slight coffee acidity might prevent me from having more than a few bottles, but this is super drinkable stuff.

This is one of those beers that I totally take for granted. I actually like this and KBS a lot more the Canadian Breakfast Stout. (1,273 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4.3%

Dark brown where no light passes through. Modest beige head that leaves a thin but continuous layer of lace throughout the glass.

Dark chocolate and oatmeal are the predominant smells. This is not as harsh as some Stouts, there's seems to be less black patent malt.

The flavor is something special: it is more "dark" than the smell would lead you to believe. Here, the black patent malt shows up in spades. The burnt flavors last throughout the taste long after the swallow. This is not a chewy beer; I'd describe it as rather thin for the style, but the carbonation is low, so it doesn't seem "off" to me. It's a dry stout with a lot of ground coffee and bitter chocolate flavor. (683 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

I'm having this bottle with leftovers from dinner, but it is 4:30 am, so that's close enough to call it breakfast, right?(Funny how what began as a common joke, "Oatmeal stout? You should have it for breakfast!" is now coming into it's own as an individual style.)
Enough with the whimsy, time for the beer!

This one is just what I need now, as the sub-zero wind-chill and the weather in general puts that witches teat to shame, and summarily lays waste to the well-digger's bum. I need something warm, rich and fortifying...is this it?

Pours out a thick, impenetrable blackness, solid ebon, with slight ruby highlights at the foot of the glass. Head is mighty, massive, twisting slowly down to a most 1/2 ",burnt-toast brown, like chocolate shavings mingled with coffee grounds.

Aroma is right on for the style and then some! Espresso is featured first, then chocolate, roasty all the way, gritty and earthy, rich and thick...a coffee stout that nears an Imperial. Almost like what happened the last time I mixed Bell's Java Stout with Expedition ...almost.

Velvety feel on the tongue, almost magical the way this warmed-up stout lightly lays over the senses, drifting it's wonder throughout the mouth. Hops up front, rich coffee texture, tangible in the mouthfeel, a little hot and spicy, backed up by prodigious malt. Full-bodied, with a long, cocoa-coffee finish, plays delicately on the tongue, but lingers long.

This is a very satisfying stout, one that meets almost all of my expectations. I have had coffee stouts with bigger coffee flavor, though, and oatmeals that are smoother and more richly rewarding, as well as chocolate stouts that bring that flavor in full force...this is a very accomplished blend of the three sub-styles of stout, it succeeded in it's mission quite well, which is to make me consider having this in my coffee cup every morning, inside of the usual dark roast Columbian!

Damned good!
Another impressive offering from Founders, and another very attractive label, even if it does suggest that a child has been consuming the product...watch for for the Grand Rapids Board of Health and Human Services, guys! (2,168 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Had a bottle last night. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark black color with one and a half fingers of tan head and light carbonation evident. Looks amazing.

s - Smells of coffee, roasted malts, cocoa, vanilla, and chocolate.

t - Tastes of coffee, roasted malts, both bitter and sweet chocolate, and vanilla.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Rich and very smooth; very easy to drink considering it's over 8% ABV.

d - I think this may be my favorite stout that is widely available and I'm able to buy straight off the shelf. Coffee is the front runner in the smell and taste, but it is very well balanced in both. I enjoy how the taste has both sweet chocolate and bitter chocolate/coffee balanced very well. Have had it many times and love the fact that when it comes out it's available on the shelves for months. Will definitely buy more and would recommend to anyone who likes stouts. (924 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9.2%

Beer on draft at RFD, served in a pint glass. Beer is black, like a stout should be. Brown head, small tight bubbles, head falls away but diffuse head remains, lots of lacing on the glass. Smells sweet, chocolate, some coffee. Dry tasting, iminimal smoke, coffee is forward, chocolate second, slight aftertaste. Good beer overall, high drinkability, mouthfeel is full, good body. Aftertaste build on you as you drink though. (424 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -5.6%

Served on nitro-tap at The Fridge on their opening day.

A - Pours dark as night black with a nice creamy one and a half finger tall khaki colored head leaving thick rings of lace down the glass. The cascade effect caused by the nitro-pour was a thing of beauty.

S - Smells of rich espresso, bakers chocolate, and vanilla. Good balance of dark roast to sweetness. While all the flavors are there I think the nitro dulled them down a bit.

T - Starts off with a huge espresso kick that never really fades away. Hints of sweet bakers chocolate, vanilla, and the dark roasted malts help to keep the coffee in check as much as they can but that is next to impossible with this beer. The finish is a mix of dark roast and light sweetness, lingering on the pallet for some time. Like the nose, I believe the nitro may have dulled the flavors a tiny bit.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. The rich, creamy, feel was nearly perfect for this beer. It got a tiny bit watery at the very end tho.

O - Still one of my all time favorite stouts. The nitro pour, while offering amazing looks and feels, does hurt the smell and taste a tiny bit. I will never turn down a pour of BS but I may stick with regular tap from now on. (1,232 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.9%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 11/22/2014. Pours dense pitch black color with a 1 finger dense dark tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, molasses, toasted oats, dark bread, light smoke/char, herbal, and roast/toasted earthiness. Fantastic aromas with great balance and complexity of dark/roast/bready malt, coffee/chocolate, and earthy hop notes; with great strength. Taste of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, molasses, toasted oats, dark bread, light smoke/char, herbal, and roast/toasted earthiness. Good amount of roasted coffee and herbal hop bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, molasses, toasted oats, dark bread, light smoke/char, and herbal/roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roast/bready malt, coffee/chocolate, and earthy hop flavors; with a great roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very smooth, creamy, and lightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warmth lingering after the finish. Overall this is an absolutely incredible imperial coffee stout. All around fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roast/bready malts, coffee/chocolate, and earthy hop flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink for the ABV. An insanely enjoyable and delicious offering as usual. (1,647 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours shiny, pitch black with a thin, lasting brown head that leaves lines of lacing going down the glass.

The smell is of chocolate and coffee - great selections of each - with some mollasses. There's an underlying earthiness and vague fruitiness.

The taste is of rich, roasted coffee, rich chocolate - bittersweet. Light roast and bitterness balance sweetness. A touch of milk seems to come through as it progresses. Rich and complex with a slight acidic touch.

It has a rich, creamy full-body that is silky smooth.

Rich and complex, yet so drinkable - dangerously so - esp. for abv. Nice way to start or end the day (or both!) Great selection of coffees and chocolates that come out and work with each other well! (720 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- nearly opaque. Brownish black.

Superb example of Imperial Coffee stout. Excellent balance of tastes with clear presence of coffee, malt and hops, and with both sweet and bitter components. Highly complex and dynamic flavors. Subtle chocolate flavor. Exceptionally smooth both while drinking and in finish.

S - Aroma is much lighter and softer than expected for such a highly flavorful brew. Primary aroma: Malty roasted coffee

Excellent, nearly the best stout I've ever had but bested by Founders CBS (508 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

Served on tap at The Pony Bar in New York, NY

A: Pours jet black with a thing light tan head. The head reduces quickly to a thin layer of bubbles at the edges of the glass. Moderate lacing is observed.

S: Smells of coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. There is some bitterness in the aroma and a decent amount of complexity.

T: Roasted malts up front with slight amounts of sweetness, followed by hints of chocolate and coffee, and finishes with a coffee bitterness.

M: Medium to full bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly creamy.

O: Quite easy to drink and hides the presence of the alcohol. Good complexity but pales in comparison after just having KBS - and seems slightly out of balance with the sweet and bitter. Definitely a beer to get again. (780 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a thick, rich chocolate and coffee scent along with a bit of oatmeal dryness. The taste is awesome. Just like the KBS, it's loaded with malt complexity and tremendous mouthfeel. The chocolate and coffee character is huge up front and finishes with a bit of oatmeal mouthfeel. It's a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This stuff is the nectar of the gods. The KBS is still my favorite, but this is one hell of a beer as well. (560 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to korguy123 for this one! Review from notes (12/5)

A: Pours a very dark black with a smallish tan head that sticks around for a second and is then gone. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: Get lots of coffee on this one, also some dark chocolate and a little bit of brown sugar/molasses. The coffee aroma certainly dominates though.

T: Lots of roasted flavor here, and espresso coffee comes through a good bit. The coffee transitions of a chocolate/malt finish

M/D: Full bodied, but very smooth. Not bitter at all. Overall a really great beer. (553 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Boulevard Smokestack Glass

Pours a 1/2 finger thick/full mocha colored tan head. Doesn't last very long. Some very little lace manages to stick thinly to the glass. Color is a pure dark brown, basically black.
4-4.5

Aroma: Coffee, cocoa, chocolate. A big malt taste. Some type of nuts. Main smell is the coffee. Slight booze. I am loving the smell.

Taste: Coffee and coffee beans. Chocolate and cocoa. Some nuts. Taste is just like the smell. Big malt flavor, slight booze, earthy hops are a little present. A very great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy. Full bodied. Seems like a good amount of carbonation. Somewhat boozy. Leaves a a pretty dry, coffee taste of an aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very tasty beer. Very drinkable stout. Went fast from the start to the end, making me want more. I could easily drink another. (851 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.2%

Picked up as an extra from sinstaineddemon. Thanks.

Beer pours dark brown to black with a brown head. There are slight brown highlights at the edges. The first aroma is strong black coffee. As the beer warmed to room temperature, I got more of a chocolate smell but coffee was always the main aroma. The taste is expectedly black coffee, easily the most coffee-filled beer I have ever drank. You never get too much chocolate flavor, but you get bitterness from the chocolate which is nice. The oatmeal comes through in the mouthfeel, making the beer very thick and creamy. Very good beer, one of the best I have ever drank. (624 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a finger of darkly tanned head that laces all over the glassware. Nose is a wonderful blend of burnt grain smelling of chocolate and coffee with a bite of alcohol in the tail end. Taste is equally enjoyable with the burnt grain and hop bitterness right upfront that blends through the thick body with tastes of bitter chocolate and coffee. It finishes both bitter and very warming but has a strange way of also seeming to be sweet like a smoky dark molasses. Lingering taste of chocolate and sweet grain. Feel of this beer is very smooth and enjoyable with a mild amount of carb. Very drinkable for over 8% (623 characters)

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company