Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Wants: 1,658
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-26-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Breakfast Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,428 | Hads: 14,495

Poured from bottle into imperial glass. This is a special review and a beer Ive wanted to get ahold of for quite some time.

Poured a motor oil black with a one-finger mocha-colored head. Totally opaque...no light penetration whatsoever. Poured very smooth, as expected.

Aroma is that of black coffee up front with hints of dark chocolate, roasted malts, and oat. Smelled absolutely immaculate.

Wow! The taste follows the nose. Black coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, and some oatiness. Little bit of bitterness too on the back end. This is just amazing. At 8.3% ABV, there is no hint of alcohol whatsoever. If you like coffee, this is right down your alley. Breakfast in a bottle...

One word...rich. The mouthfeel is creamy, thick, and velvety smooth going down. Definitely a full-bodied brew, but it offers superb drinkability. I had to stop myself from drinking this heavenly nectar too fast so I could savor it, but its just that friggin' good!

Overall this is the best stout, and to date, the best beer I have ever had, period. I have never given a perfect score to a beer on here before, but this one gets it from me. Very refreshing to see a much ballyhooed beer live up to its enormous hype. If you like stouts, drink this. It will change your life forever. Its that good. Thank you to Founders for this amazing take on an imperial stout. Now if I could only score some KBS and CBS... (1,401 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a beautiful dark and rich coffee color with great hazel lacing that stays around forever. Ideal picture of a stout.

Smell is full, chocolate and roasted coffee hits you.

Taste is pleasingly bitter, rich, mouth coating, lingering, chocolate-heavy. As satisfying as beer can be. The high alcohol content can sometimes get to me toward the tail end of a bottle, but a small complaint. (391 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: It pours a dense black with a smooth brown head that disappeared somewhat quickly for an oatmeal stout.

Smell: The maltiness of the aroma was delicious on its own. Of course there was a strong presence of chocolate and coffee.

Taste: An excellent, complex taste that more than lived up to the aroma of the beer. Roasted malt, chocolate, and caramel flavors all supported the overall espresso flavor that dominated.

Mouthfeel: As smooth as a stout should be.

Overall: A great beer, even if it had been a little over-hyped to me. (543 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Breakfast Sout%0AFounders Brewing Company%2C Michigan%0A---from bottle to stemmed stout glass---%0A%0AAppearance%0APitch Black! 1 finger of dark tan head%2C good lacing.%0A%0ASmell%0ADark chocolate%2C coffee - iced mocha (stolen from another review%2C but SPOT ON)%2C oatmeal.%0A%0ATaste%0AExactly as it smells! Licorice at first%2C but gives way to great bitter-coffee%2Fsweet-mocha flavor%2C finishes with hazelnut%2C smooth oatmeal and dark roasted malt.%0A%0AMouth-feel%0AAlmost Perfect. Good balance of flavors. Little indication of hops. Good carbonation%0A%0AOverall%0ABest stout I have ever had. Wish this wasn't seasonal. A coffee lovers dream! (653 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a bit thinner than some of the other stouts I enjoy, but aside from that really well made. Rich chocolate flavors more prominent than the oatmeal to me. (159 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle. Very dark brown to black. Nice tan head. One of the best smelling stouts I've had with very inviting coffee and chocolate. the taste is a little heavier/stronger than the aroma leads you to think, but still very good. Coffee seems to win out over the chocolate. I assume the manageable bitterness comes from roasted coffee rather than chocolate. Medium feel. Wish it was a bit creamier and a little mellower lingering on the tongue. A very good beer worthy of its high rating. (493 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this up on a recent road trip through North Carolina.
Poured into my Duvel Tulip.
Black viscous pour with a reddish/brown head. I jammed a maglite on the side of this to see what I could find. The only thing I could find were some small bubbles choking their way to the surface. Thin head that yielded a small ring of little bubbles and had gorgeous lacing all the way down.

Smells of delicious dark chocolate, or cocoa nibs, and COFFEE. not just coffee, but good Sumatran coffee being brewed right under my nose. Sometimes, I go into my local coffee shop and they're making chocolate chip cookies and brewing strong, rich coffee and it smells like this. I have dreamed about beer smelling this good, but never realized it could.

Taste is dark roasted chocolate and strong coffee. I'm not sure if the oats lend to this or not, but it's a little bittersweet with something of a turkish fig flavor to it. I love the bitterness. There is a vanilla-bready sweetness to this which may also be the oats mixing with the other flavors.

Mouthfeel is silky and smooth. Not overly thick, but damn near chewable. It sticks to your ribs. Barely carbonated at all, which is fine with me.

Drinkability- This is truly a perfect representation of it's name. The name is carried in the smell AND the taste to precision. I am in love with this beer. It smells like a bakery and blows me away with every sip. I may have a new favorite on my hands, luckily, I bought a few four paks!!

Another fine beer from Founders! (1,510 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap into a 4oz. sample glass.

A. Arrived with minimal tan head from bar with nice lacing. Very, very dark, even pitch black color.

S. Smells of roasted malts. Not a lot of spices noticed with only a minor coffee aroma that built as the glass warmed and was consumed. The aroma leads you to expect a heavy, dark stout with a good complexity. No aroma of alcohol noted.

T. The taste was initially of dark malts and chocolate malts were dominating. Then the coffee showed through and mellowed the bitterness. The sweetness of this stout is hidden, but balances the profile well. The sweetness, coffee tones, and bitterness will last a while if you sit there and allow them to. Well balanced into the end though.

M. The mouthfeel is heavy and full as expected, but not thick. The promise was delivered exactly as expected.

D. Had I not noted this was an Imperial Stout before consuming it, I likely would not have known. There was no real alcohol tones to this beer because of all the other flavors masking it out. I was led to believe this was a spiced stout more like a Christmas stout, but was happily surprised by the "coffee spicing" noted. I was pleased with this beer and would drink it again if I were in the mood for a stout. I usually prefer IPA's, but was decidedly into the stouts and porters last night. (1,320 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Purchased a 4pack in North Carolina. At Airport, damn TSA douches stole 3bottles of FBS. F u TSA bastards.

Anyways, poured bottle into a 6oz taster. Initially cold it was decent. Let it warm up, its truly awesome. Not as good as KBS, but its pretty decent. Need to get my hands on more and I'd like to try it aged.

Oden!
A- (326 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- a little on the lighter side with light creeping in around the edges. Just a cm or two of head even with an aggressive pour.

Smell- If I closed my eyes it would be difficult to tell the difference between this and my morning coffee.

Taste- This is a perfect coffee stout in my opinion. Starts off with a with a touch of bitterness before turning into pure coffee. Despite being pretty strong there is no sign of booze to be found.

Mouthfeel- Not exceptionally thick but it coats the tounge nicely and is incredibly smooth. Nothing lingers and it is actually kind of refreshing.

Overall- I love this beer. If you aren't a huge coffee fan this might not be the beer for you, but if you like coffee in beer this is perfection. (740 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

Been waiting for this one. Bottled 9/07/12.

Appearance: Great darkness. My ultra-bright LED lamp can't make it through this one. Very little head that thins out pretty well.

Smell: Most intense coffee I've ever gotten from a beer aroma.

Taste: Mostly coffee, some chocolate, and a lot of malt. Quite an intense flavor. Hell yeah!

Mouthfeel: Just about perfect. Carbonation and thickness are excellent.

Overall: This is a stout! This beer gets lots of hype, and it's not bullshit. It has great flavor. Every sip is to be savored. The high ABV is gravy on these biscuits. A real treat. (592 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Maybe I am bias towards my Michigan Brews but Founder Oatmeal Stout is great Sweet Stout. With flavors of coffee, chocolate, and lightly roasted characters tickle the taste buds, it is easy to get a full stomach on a pint (or two). As dark as they come, this beer has nothing to see through it! My appearance review rating was not all that well because I felt my bartender just overflowed the pint glass and I was not happy about the wasted beer :(

All said though, this is a great sweet stout for those who are looking for a big filling beer!

Cheers to Founders! (567 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured nearly black, which is always a good sign for stouts. The head lingered for a while before dissipating. Taste was immediately chocolate and coffee, bitter coffee and espresso notes blended perfectly with the sweet chocolate and oats. The oatmeal taste and feel was slightly delayed but the aftertaste was one of mild alcohol acidity and delicious balanced oats. The feel was not unlike most stouts I've experienced, nice and smooth, not overly carbonated. Very refreshing even on a warm summer day. Overall I highly recommend this beer whether you like stouts or not. It's easily in the top five best stouts I've had in my life. I would and will drink it again. A near perfect brew. (689 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with nice tan head.
S: Coffee and chocolate, but not overwhelming
T: Big coffee and chocolate. Perfectly balanced between sweet and bitter. Smooth, easy drinking and very delicious. Truly top notch.
F: Coats my mouth fairly well and very smooth.
O: It's delicious, easy to find, and reasonable priced. A staple every single year I look forward to. (363 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nothing really to add to the many, many reviews here, except that I enjoyed this SO much more on draft than from the bottle. I really didn't understand the big deal about this beer until I got in on tap. The only problem I had is that I had the Coffee BCBS later on, in an evening of embarrassment of riches... (310 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

Based on all the BA praise, I had high expectations for this beer. It lived up to them.

Had it poured into a snifter-like glass. pitch black, 2 fingers of chocolate whipped cream head.

The aroma was of pipe tobacco, dark roast coffee and a touch of chocolate.

The taste was surprising, I expected a sweet bomb. It is actually very dry, a rush of dark roast coffee and bitter chocolate up front mellowing into an rich oatmeal finish. The flavors are well blended, no drastic changes, all smooth transitions.

The mouthfeel is thick and rich; a stout smoothie.

This is a beer you could sip for hours. The abv is moderate, and and not intrusive, it's not too sweet, not too bitter just a very smooth, flavorful experience. (725 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%

One of my favorite stouts!

Dark and seductive! Pitch black with a coffee and cream colored head. The head fades after a little time.

Smells like rich coffee and dark chocolate followed by a little fruitiness. Smokey and sweet

If a mocha milkshake had a baby with beer, this would be it. I would easily pass chocolate cake up for this anytime. So rich, bitter and sweet. Hops are present and compliment the coffee flavor nicely.

One of the nicest mouth feels in a beer I've had! So silky an perfect carbonation.

Such an awesome stout. Rich and delicious! (558 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark with hints of ruby amber where light can slightly penetrate the black. The head is tan at the corners, and dark brown in the center and leaves minimal lacing on the sides.

S- Slightly smoky with coffee aroma. Chocolate peaks out from the tail end mingled with the slightly sweet smell of the alcohol. Roasty malts are definitely present.

T- Sweet and dry, hints of chocolate precede the very coffee finish. The aftertaste brings to mind coffee and coffee grounds leaving a very dry finish. Very substantial and oatey.
M- very fleeting on the front end with a light slightly syrupy feel, which dissipates to the very dry almost tannin like back end.

D- This is a very tasty brew. The coffee flavor is mingled perfectly with the sweetness of the chocolate and the oatiness gives the beer the body that can stand up to it. Always happy to have this in my fridge. (872 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle dated 9-6-11.

A: A very dark, midnight black color with a thin light chocolate colored head that dissipates quickly to leave a thin lace.

S: A dark coffee/espresso smell with loads of chocolate. Dark malt also present. Smells like sticking your head into a bag of chocolate covered coffee beans.

T: Much like the smell. Strong on the coffee and chocolate with some dark malt notes. Alcohol is strong on the mid-taste.

M: Carbonation is present but not overpowering. A good mouthfeel but I would prefer it to be slightly thicker. Not to creamy, the carbonation makes it feel slightly grainy.

O: A great stout to drink every night, god knows I would love to. Thanks Founders for continually producing great beers. (739 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I just love this Stout. Always very good. It is not sold in NH (due to picture of child on the label) so I have to buy outside of the state and bring it home. Neighbors also like the taste and I have to buy for them also, a good time for all in the neigborhood! (261 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -7%

Purchased a 4 pack at local packy.
poured hard into a 12.7oz belgian beer glass.

A- Super dark. Opaque. Poured the beer pretty hard and it gave a tan/brown 2-finger head that diminished fairly quicky.

S-Roast, Chocolate, Alcohol. These are a few of my favorite things.

T-Thick burnt Coffee, roast, ashtray, licorice, chocolate notes. pretty chewy. Lingers on the tongue for a while. I've had this beer a bunch and the one thing I'm noticing in the taste that's a bit different that most times I've had it before is the ashtray/tobacco/old burnt coffee thing. Seems a bit more upfront than I remember. While it isn't completely destroying the beer, this bottle seems a bit different than the ones that I rememeber having in the past.

M-Thick and Chewy. yum. (763 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a rounded, stemmed beer glass. Solid dark body. Near black with shades of brown on the edges. Creamy dark brown head the sticks to the glass the whole way down. The aroma was sweet with a lot of coffe tones. Heavy and smooth with a big coffee taste. Some bitterness gets through but the lasting flavor is a toasty, chocalatey and overwhelming coffee one. (385 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Into the pint glass you go...alright, here we go:

A - Super dark, if not black then really darn close. Nice head, not over-bearing...looks good

S - Chocolate and malt...nice

T - Phenomenal - Chocolate, coffee, vanilla - tastes really good

M - thick and creamy - perfect

D - A couple would be nice, then you're done

Overall fantastic brew... (346 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.6%

An agressive pour into a goblet style glass provides a almost 1/2" chocolate malt brown head.
Nice lacing on the glass, not cloppy, and not stringy, but somewhere in between.

Very powerful coffee smell with a dark chocolate semi-sweet note that lingers in the background.

just a few minutes in the glass warming have brought about flavors that weren't there at the start. Cocoa beans is what I really am left with for taste after a pleasant malty/coffee start the flavor recedes to a cocoa sweet bitterness.

Velvet in a glass best describes the mouthfeel. Its slick and its soft.

At first I thought this brew was a one and done for the night just because of the body. Now after trying this interpretation of the style I think this cold, wet Michigan night would greatly benefit from one more bottle. (803 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. 2009 vintage bottle into a snifter.

A - Dark, slightly viscous pitch color with no chance of light coming through. Weak, one finger head that leaves virtually no lacing down the side of the glass.

S - COFFEE. I don't get much else, maybe a hint of oats and a little chocolate, but the coffee is too far out of balance, probably because it gets a big old boost by the roasted malts.

T - Again, Coffee immediately followed by a little astringency from the malts, back into coffee. And the coffee seems to have a lot more acidity to it than espresso even. Almost no semblance of chocolate at all. I really can't believe how out of balance this seems.

M - Slightly oily, but not cloying at all, which is quite nice. The chewiness is enjoyable as well especially in the throat. I didn't feel ruined for the night from this beer, which I worry about with such strong flavors in this style.

D - Surprisingly drinkable if it were more balanced in flavor. I have to give this another shot given its reputation, but I was pretty disappointed in the lack of balance for this first round. (1,102 characters)

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company