1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,264 | Reviews: 1,609 | Show All Ratings:
KarlHungus

Pours a beautiful blood red color with a creamy reddish-white head. The aroma is huge. It hits you the second you open the bottle, and never leaves. Citric hops and complex malt tones battle it out to perfection. The taste is hoppy with a strong malt backbone. It's almost like a good IPA, but with rye. The mouthfeel is medium-thick bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is an awesome brew. I can not conceive how this beer could be made any better than it already is.

08-06-2005 17:55:41 | More by KarlHungus
n8tron

Wisconsin

Wow, WOW. I had know idea what to expect from this beer. I picked it out randomly believe it or not, cause I had never seen it before. It sat in my fridge for over a month before I finally tried it. I was nervous as I had never had a "rye" beer. This beer goes down like cool-aid. Its got a smooth but very flavorful sweet taste. Its like a tamed down IPA but packed full with taste. This is my favorite beer so far.

01-03-2006 01:48:25 | More by n8tron
BeerBelcher

I don't usually buy multi-packs of craft beer...usually I buy single-serve bottles, or I buy at stores where I can mix-and-match my own six-packs. That said, I'm on my third six pack of Red Rye in the past few months. I had the good fortune to attend GABF this year, and spent a lot of time unsuccessfully searching for rye beers that are its equal (HeBew Rye PA is also very good). Great Lakes Nosferatu is also reminiscent of this beer, but I like Red Rye better.

Appearance is a deep-red with attractive white lacing. Aroma is pleasant hop odor with a significant prediction on the citrus flavors to come. Flavor is great - hop heavy, citrusy, the rye delivers big-boy malt flavor, yet Red Rye is well-balanced.

I have a hard time finding fault with this beer (it is even a good value for craft beer); I will be drinking this for as long as they're making it. I can't think of a beer I'd recommend more highly.

10-15-2006 18:48:51 | More by BeerBelcher
Dibujob

WOW! I'm not overly familiar with Founders, but after trying their Breakfast Stout I had to give this beer a shot. It's absolutely delicious.

Appearance- A gorgeous burnt orange-red with a gentle layer of foam that quickly dissipates

Aroma- An appealing hop scent is immediately evident.

Taste- A hop-heads dream, the 70 IBUs dominate the taste but not too overpowering. The malts definitely make a statement but they're clearly in the background.

Mouthfeel- Gentle carbonation, very pleasant.

Drinkability- I could drink this all night, it is pure ambrosia!

06-10-2009 01:58:11 | More by Dibujob
JohnWaynes44

Wisconsin

Opaque dark red with a creamy, sticky head. Nose is very sweet, floral, corn grainyness if that's a word. Sugars permiate the palate, malty goodness coats the jaws, then a blast of smoky hops and esters, lingering bitterness daring you to put it down, which is difficult at best. Mouth is sticky and chewy. Alcohol is in the back of your mind, reminding you that a 6 of 6.6 that goes down this quickly should probably be accompanied by a pregnant yet nagging designated driver. I love this beer. First time in a bottle. I have enjoyed pitchers of this sweet nectar at Chumley's in Broad Ripple with Royce Peacock, but never in a bottle. It's good, and damn good.

07-18-2009 01:44:37 | More by JohnWaynes44
zbuc919

This is such a uniquely delicious beer. I've not had many rye beers and have also not been terribly impressed with blended style beers but this is great.

It pours a golden red with good head that hung around for a little bit, and was back with a few quick swirls. The aroma is a powerful kick of citrus and grapefruit, can't say enough about the aroma that carries through the whole pint. The bitter component is very well balanced with the body of the beer, great finish a little spice to add to the powerful aroma.

This beer is well worth checking out especially if you typically gravitate to hoppy brews.

06-08-2011 03:02:22 | More by zbuc919
hoplover82

First of all, WOW! This beer is truly exceptional indeed! I haven't given a beer a perfect score in a looong while and I just am so impressed plus a lack of any flaws give this beer a perfect score in my book.
A-Pours a clear deep red rose color with a medium, off white, creamy head that dissapates to a thin film on the beer, leaving very pretty, strong lacing.
S-The aroma was a suprize slap in the face with hops and spicy rye that I actually pick up in the nose. The hops are very floral and foresty pine. And the rye is in the back, but impressive to actaully smell the rye.
T-Of coarse, much like the aroma with a huge, chewy bitterness that lasts forever, followed up with piney/floral hops and a spicy rye malt flavor with just barely a hint of sweetness to somewhat balance this beer, but keeps it very hop foward, (which I like) :)
M-This beer is very creamy with a medium body, clean and slightly dry finish due to the amount of spiciness from the rye and bitterness that excentuates a dry finish.
Overall, this beer is very impressive as stated before. A wonderful suprise indeed. I was expecting just a super hoppy one dementional rye pale ale, but I thought wrong. Should've known Founders would knock it out of the park like Barry Bonds. I absolutely love this beer! Thanks Founders!

08-13-2011 22:45:09 | More by hoplover82
Francois

This is my overall favorite that is available year around, locally.
I'am so drawn to this selection, that I want to try a clone recipe of this when I brew my own batch. Just to experiment.
I've had this both on tap and in the bottle and they are equally of high standards and taste. I am not disappointed with this style and consistency of beer.
No wonder Founders made the top ten of the best brewers in the world.
Maintain your high standards, and I'll keep coming back.
Well done.

02-03-2013 00:14:04 | More by Francois
Bowersm

Connecticut

I have nothing bad to say about this beer. After pouring from bottle to glass it looked beautiful and rich and smelled powerfully good. There was plenty of good flavor and a fantastic after taste. I could easily drink this beer all night and not get sick of it or have any desire to switch it up. This beer cannot be recommended enough!

03-04-2013 21:13:56 | More by Bowersm
hopdaddy49

I am unfortunately going from memory. I would be all in favor of this beauty achieving year round status. The heartless bastards at Founders have made it a seasonal brew for some unknown an obviously insufficient reason. Had it on tap at Founders brew pub which was a slice of heaven, but by the bottle it is extremely close to fresh tap taste. Founders is awesome and I highly recommend this heavenly brew to just about anyone as the maltiness and hop finish are sublimely and superbly blended to achieve party in your mouth status...it is just about perfect for beer lovers of most types. Cheers

07-14-2013 11:54:21 | More by hopdaddy49
deadchef

Poured into a pint glass.

I'll admit this review might be biased but it's my favorite beer. I'm pissed though that it has become a seasonal beer instead of a yearly offering. Especially now it's in a four pack and costs more than it did when it was available as a sixxer. Wtf?!

A: beautiful red color with a just off white head.
S: heavy citrus hop aroma
T: heaven in a glass! Nicely hopped with plenty of malt backbone. Deceptively easy drinking.
M: perfectly carbonated. Perfect viscosity.
O: overall I find this the perfect beer!

12-22-2013 03:13:10 | More by deadchef
sarahspat

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

This is one of my all-time favorite beers. I've easily drank over 50 pints of it at Founders over the course of the past two years (this is a very conservative estimate). Because human beings brew Red's Rye, it varies from batch to batch (same goes for all of Founders' beers, really). Sometimes it is more hoppy than others. There have been times, my dear friends, when this beer tasted just like eating the ripest, juiciest grapefruit you have ever seen (this was my favorite batch). Actually, Red's Rye was probably the first serious craft beer I ever appreciated. It has a very special place in my heart.

Down to business:
Served to me on tap at Founders on 4-8-09. The liquid is a very dark ruby red with just a bit of a white head, which dissipates quickly and doesn't leave any lacing. Floral, citrus, candied pineapple and rye notes comprise the nose. As for the taste, spicy rye definitely takes center stage in this batch. Delicious! I also appreciate roasted characteristics, and my old friend Mr. Grapefruit, who becomes more talkative as he warms up to you (do you see what I did there?) The citrus hops and the spicy rye make a great combination. The mouthfeel is medium thick with moderate amounts of carbonation. The flavors are some of the most powerful I've tasted in a non-imperial brew. However, despite its very strong flavors, this beer is quite drinkable. This is a very tasty brew indeed... Amazing, even.

04-09-2009 19:21:49 | More by sarahspat
Mitchster

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Brewed with 4 varieties of Belgian caramel malts and malted rye. Dry hopped.

6.8% ABV, 60 IBU's.

Pours out to a dark ruby with orange accents, forming a large whipped sticky dark beige head with yellow tints. Retention is just awesome forming sticky pancake-like lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate with the bubbles barely able to escape the viscosity of the beer. The aroma is just awesome...fresh pungent citric hops with lots of mango, grapefruit and pine (I smell Centennial)...reminds me of Stone IPA but less pungent. Mouthfeel is oh so smooth and creamy with a tart, crisp hop astringency. Medium-dense oily body. This beer assaults your taste buds with a whallop but never overpowers them. Immediately sharp with a ton of hop bite but with a huge malt bill to back it up. I can't really appreciate any stand-out rye taste. The bitterness is actually quite mild and makes this one super-easy to drink. Impeccably fermented with absolutely no off-flavors and imperceptable alcohol. An hour later and I'm still burping mangos. Tasty!

This is an amazing brew and has definitely replaced Two-Hearted as my Michigan 'IPA' of choice. As beautiful out of the bottle as it is on tap. An infinitely more drinkable version of it's big brother, Devil Dancer. So smooth and smarmy, and now available year-round, this is my new "go-to" brew. Sexy stuff guys. Highly, highly recommended!

01-30-2005 21:09:33 | More by Mitchster
ultralarry2006

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Leaves a tan two finger head with excellent retention, and excellent lacing. Body is pure copper. This is very beautiful to behold.

Smell - Spicy !! Spicy, floral, and citrusy fom the hops, which fill the nose, and spicy from the rye malt, which also gives a scent of rye bread. There is much caramel, and going back to the hops again, some pine.

Taste - just like the nose promises, there is a spicy tidal wave wash of floral and citrusy and piney hops infused with a spicy rye taste. There is also some sourness from the rye, in the same way that rye bread is sour tasting ( which is a good, very good sourness ), and much caramel. This is basically an AIPA with the addition of rye malt - which has the effect of both increasing the spiciness of the hops ( the Amarillo being the perfect choice ), and of providing a pleasant mild rye sourness to the malt - both at the same time. It seems inspired, tastes fantastic, and I love it.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, smooth, very slick from the hop oils.

Drinkability - this is excellent, truly original, inspired, and it's entirely sessionable.

12-20-2006 21:03:15 | More by ultralarry2006
hustlesworth

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

I LOVE A WELL MADE RYE BEER.

A- dull reddish orange with a swamp water haze and little particles floating around. when held up to the light the color shines to a blazing red papaya flesh color. off white chunky gloopy head has superior retention and makes loads of sticky lace like hawaiian rock formations. it looks appealing, rich and extremely flavorful.

S- ahh the spicy sourness is what appeals most to me. it compliments the hops and transforms the flavor of the entire beer into something above spectacular. it's caramel and nutty, herbal and fruity, floral and earthy. such a complex aroma. i freakin love it. i guess a bit of barley is detectable along side the caramel and it just adds to the depth of this brew's aroma. citrus amarillo is the perfect dry hop to use here, i can't imagine anything better.

T- first sip is a burst of whole grain goodness and tangerine/lemon citrus with a good sour back-up from the rye. malty sweetness pushes through the fruity bitter defense and goes down at the 10 only to lose the ball and have it intercepted by the hops who take it all the way home! touchdown! toasted reubens with corned beef, a little cider vinegar tartness, dense resinous wood, fresh grains, tropical fruit, passionfruit, guava, and more citrus and rye sourness move into the finish. the sour drops out early leaving only a dry puckering lingering bitter that is just sublime.

MF- medium body and slightly over medium carbonation may give you a few burps but those damn things are almost as good as the beer itself. creamy and juicy at the same time, the generous hop bill feels like a solvent on the inside of my cheeks.

D- i am so unbelievably glad that i came across a six of this, it might be my new favorite beer in the world.

02-12-2008 00:41:15 | More by hustlesworth
Atricapilla

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Founders finally made it to Central PA!

Pours a luxurious copper/burnt orange with a hazy, foamy thick head. The beer has a resiny and hoppy aroma, a little more spruce like than piney...Taste is a good balance of malt, rye and hops. Slightly sweet initially, with a good bitterness following. I think this is their best beer!

07-23-2009 01:35:56 | More by Atricapilla
Brunite

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Color is a deep amber/bronze. The head is off-white and resulted in 2-3 fingers after an aggressive pour. There was about 1/2" lingering head that hung around in clumps like the residue in a milkshake. Lacing was average.

Smell: Nice hop aroma comes through immediately....grapefruit for sure. The IBU's are around 70 so you get the aroma you would expect. Also some malty sweetness evident as well as a bit of spiciness from the rye.

Taste: Outstanding! The balance is fantastic here. Obvious hop bitterness is balanced against malt and the rye adds a third dimension in taste. Very complex. Delicious! High IBU's balanced against malt & rye....nice.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and slightly chewy. Carbonation is spot on.

Drinkability: This is an outstanding beer in my book. The balance is so well done that these go down too easy. Alcohol is not ever noticed and 1 beer went down in 4-5 gulps. Delicious and drinkable.

Overall: I've already said it. This on is in my top 10 for sure. Very drinkable...great taste...great balance...keeps you coming back. Definitely my top Rye beer. Highly recommended.

01-30-2011 23:04:55 | More by Brunite
quad07

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a dark amber color with a slight red cast to it. Head is small with a mild milky off white cream texture. Left a milky ring in the glass with each sip. It actually tastes a little like toasted dark rye bread. Six of these would be plenty in one evening. I really liked it and will buy it again.

10-06-2007 05:43:03 | More by quad07
DomErie

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

I had the opportunity to enjoy this beer on tap at Slow's Barbecue in Detroit after attending the auto show. My friends and I were eager to try this beer after reading the positive review in BeerAdvocate magazine. All I can say is WOW!

It poured a beautiful reddish copper with a decent head. It's unfiltered, which in my book is a good thing, indicative of a beer that's hand-crafted, but not overly so. Lacing was evident on the glass.

The aroma was, indeed, redolent of citrus and pineapple with a subtle sweetness. Mouthfeel was extremely smooth, reminding me of the softness of the cask (as others have mentioned). I can't say that I could identify the taste of the rye but it was hoppy enough that it could have been mistaken for a double IPA.

As to drinkability, I can only point to the fact that the three of us had a total 10 glasses of Red's Rye with our meals. Slow's has a great selection of fine craft beers but we stuck with the Red's for the whole session. Why mess with success?

If I could find a sixtel of this within 100 miles of PA, I would go out and buy a kegerator. It's that good.

01-21-2008 22:21:31 | More by DomErie
bluemoonswoon

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

12oz stubby brown bottle poured into a Sam Adams pint glass.

A: Pours a rich reddish ambery orange with a two inch head that settles into a half inch cap with a thick ice cream float looking head. Pouring the last bit of yeast into the glass gives it a nice ruddy brown hazy with some glorious looking blood orange highlights with some good amounts of lacing going all the way down the glass.

S: Has to be one of my favorite smelling beers of all time, one snif of this is just heaven, like Hop Rod Rye it is something I do not think can be improved upon in any way. Wonderful bouquet of floral and citrusy hops with a solidly sweet rye maltiness, a hop lovers dream with a good backing malt sweetness.

T/MF: Sweet and bitter brought together. At once sweet on the tip of the tongue then wonderfully bitter and fruity at the back and sides of the mouth. Grapefruit rimmed with sugar and orange juice on the side, resiny pine with a slightly nutty finish. Rye is quite noticeable and imparts that kind of flavor on this beer that is basically impossible to describe, suffice to say its tastes fantastic. Carbonation is just right, feels at once sliky and gritty and rests on the lighter side of medium bodied. The finish on this beer is its only weakness and leaves the mouth the slightest bit chalky. Edit: after another go around with this beer that aftertaste is gone and only laves a nice sticky hop goodness on the tongue, just and amazing beer, one that I should keep in the fridge at all time because I love it so much.

D: Drinkability is out of this world, the look the smell, the feel and the taste of this beer are enough to make you feel guilty about something. Most of the time I tend to find Founder's beers to be a bit off in the flavor department, I don't really enjoy the hop profiles in their beer, they taste almost metallic oftentimes. But this beer, this I am a fan of, I huge flag waving fanboy to be exact. Excellent, excellent beer.

08-03-2008 02:33:11 | More by bluemoonswoon
Brew33

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

I had heard great things about this beer but had never tried it until recently.

This beer is wonderful. I can't think of too many beers I have had that I like more. It is butter smooth. Extremely well balanced, crisp, flavorful, perfectly hopped. Wow, what a beer. It is pretty complex for an IPA.

I wasn't expecting this beer to be so hoppy but being a bit of a hop head I throughly enjoyed it. This beer may have a recurring role in my beer fridge.

09-09-2008 19:54:19 | More by Brew33
ZAP

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

This is an awesome beer....the amarillos are put to good use as this has a fantastic juicy citrus aroma..sweet citrus...almost like citrus style candies....I've been smelling this for about 2 minutes straight and I can detect a slight spicy rye note as well but it is very, very subtle...

The taste is where the rye really adds an awesome dimension to this very hop forward juicy ale..but its not just the rye..there is some real multidimensional character to this beer...light notes of caramel as well....finishes spicy and somewhat dry.

This is a great beer. Had this with a BBQ last week and I ended up drinking three of them because they were sliding down so much...I just couldn't put the glass down....tonight as I review it I have similar thoughts....great beer....I have the new Tyranena Rye Bitter woman and I am saving the last one of these to try side by side with that one..

06-22-2009 03:07:20 | More by ZAP
jsh420

bottled 10/28/09

pours ruby orange with a pillowy 1.5 finger head that fades into chunks and left lacing down th glass

smell is huge of grapefruit and some peach next to sweet carmel malts

taste is much of the same - those grapefruit hops the malts and rye are not as sweet as the nose - it has more spice -no muddy flavors very clean

mouthfeel is a medium body beer with good carbonation - a very juicy smooth brew

drinkabiltity is scary since it is almost 7abv and i want to drink the whole sixer

i have been enjoying this beer for a few years now and it never gets old - hands down this and 2bros cane & ebel are the best rye beers out there - go seek them out

01-07-2010 03:40:24 | More by jsh420
zoolou

Iowa

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Attractive copper/red appearance with a smell that should be made into a candle.

With rye beer being my favorite style, this is definitely the best rye beer I have come across, edging out Hop Rod Rye. Red's Rye has a great balance of the spicy rye and the big hops that starts and ends with great flavor and balance.

Almost perfect in my book.

03-29-2011 14:25:56 | More by zoolou
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

A beautifully hopped rye brew with a tiny Belgium character, and a great drinking experience overall.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle brown capped bottle. Old fashion design around the face of an old man that gives the name to the brew, mixed with the Founders branding. Barely one line description noting the basic style behind it. Shows date of bottling (06/21/11), IBUs (70), and Alc. (6.6%) Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Deep amber-dark copper pour. Nice one inch frothy head, great retention and surface memory with rich lacing.

S - Beautiful and very characteristic aroma of citric grapefruit hoppiness over the rye with a sweet spicy insinuation..

T - Rich and long palate... Hoppy delight... That Amarillo is shining in its citric range with a nice sweet hint woven under the malt, Belgium malts I read, which explain some of the taste memories coming to mind, and how it weaves so well with that rye spiciness.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Smooth under the rich bitter sense, quite the ride. Nice spicy sense, with a long lingering aftertaste.

O - A perfect brew for me. Drinking it for a few years now since Founders made distribution to the Capital region, and this has quickly become an undisputed classic whenever I can pick it up fresh.

Notes: Reviewing after almost a couple of years, and yes, this remains a total favorite. This is as fresh as I can get it, I guess, brewed on June 21, and had on July 7th, and it is in full form. It is not a Belgium IPA but now, after all this drinking, this feels like a rightful predecessor. That aroma, that palate, and those Belgium caramel malts with the hopped rye spiciness put it right there preceding with dexterity quite a few of those brews.

At least a notch up after this time, this deserves a perfect 5 overall... and probably better marks throughout.

Reviewed on: 08-20-2009 16:07:13