Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,652 | Hads: 5,092
4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

I had heard great things about this beer but had never tried it until recently.

This beer is wonderful. I can't think of too many beers I have had that I like more. It is butter smooth. Extremely well balanced, crisp, flavorful, perfectly hopped. Wow, what a beer. It is pretty complex for an IPA.

I wasn't expecting this beer to be so hoppy but being a bit of a hop head I throughly enjoyed it. This beer may have a recurring role in my beer fridge.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

A beautifully hopped rye brew with a tiny Belgium character, and a great drinking experience overall.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle brown capped bottle. Old fashion design around the face of an old man that gives the name to the brew, mixed with the Founders branding. Barely one line description noting the basic style behind it. Shows date of bottling (06/21/11), IBUs (70), and Alc. (6.6%) Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Deep amber-dark copper pour. Nice one inch frothy head, great retention and surface memory with rich lacing.

S - Beautiful and very characteristic aroma of citric grapefruit hoppiness over the rye with a sweet spicy insinuation..

T - Rich and long palate... Hoppy delight... That Amarillo is shining in its citric range with a nice sweet hint woven under the malt, Belgium malts I read, which explain some of the taste memories coming to mind, and how it weaves so well with that rye spiciness.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Smooth under the rich bitter sense, quite the ride. Nice spicy sense, with a long lingering aftertaste.

O - A perfect brew for me. Drinking it for a few years now since Founders made distribution to the Capital region, and this has quickly become an undisputed classic whenever I can pick it up fresh.

Notes: Reviewing after almost a couple of years, and yes, this remains a total favorite. This is as fresh as I can get it, I guess, brewed on June 21, and had on July 7th, and it is in full form. It is not a Belgium IPA but now, after all this drinking, this feels like a rightful predecessor. That aroma, that palate, and those Belgium caramel malts with the hopped rye spiciness put it right there preceding with dexterity quite a few of those brews.

At least a notch up after this time, this deserves a perfect 5 overall... and probably better marks throughout.

Reviewed on: 08-20-2009 16:07:13

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at the Nightingale.
A: Brilliant red tinted amber with a 1” off-white foam collar that clings to the side to the glass.
S: Smells like half a Texas ruby red grapefruit sitting next to a slice of light rye toast.
T: An assertive grapefruit rind bitterness balances big caramel malt flavors.
F: Creamy, silky, medium for medium full body, medium carbonation.
O: A well balanced, assertively bitter, rye IPA.

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: amber in color, extremely thin head

Smell: such a great scent! very fruity - grapefruit and hints of peach. The smell of the hops is also very dominant.

Taste: I thought this beer was definitely going to be one of the fruitier beers I've had, but I was pleasantly surprised. The fruitiness I smelled was not over-powering at all - in fact it was adequately matched with dryness of the rye, evening out the flavor very nicely.

Mouthfeel: Smooth & dry

Overall: LOVE IT. Finally, I have found a beer that my husband and I love equally! Thank you Founders for one less argument in the beer isle! Red's Rye PA was very easy to drink - I know this is produced year round, but I could see myself craving this beer in the Spring and Fall, in particular.

Collage girls drink GOOD beer:

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Wow, what a nice pleasant beer that has no flaws to speak of. I will never be able to review a beer in the same professional manner as some of you but I can tell you this. Try this one and it will speak for itself.

Founders is simply an amazing brewery that has mastered their craft. This beer is no exception. From the nose to the lacing and down the hatch this one has it all.

Red ruby grapefruit with hints of cut grass and lemon zest dominate the nose. The pallet is clean and crisp.

The first thing I did after trying this is jump on the PC to see if this was seasonal or year round. Thankfully this is a year round beer.

I will leave it to the pro's to break it down structurally and simply say, this jewel is beautiful.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

I had one to try. Then another. Then another. Wow this beer is delicious. Bit west coast hop profile on the nose. Pine, citrus, wonderful. Sip starts with that flavor, then transitions into the wonderful taste of the rye, which is big but still spicy. Great mix of spice and sweet. Hops carry the whole time. Nice clean finish for such a crazy beer. Really just wonderful.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Wow, this is one hell of a beer. The first thing that hits you when you take a sip is the heavenly creaminess. I once heard someone wonder outloud if the brewer for Founders might be God himself, and I really believe it after trying some of their other offerings and especially this one! The creaminess is out of this world, but it's not all this beer has to offer. The appearance is perfect - crystal clear amber with the nicest head and lacing you can ever ask for. Smell is full of juicy citrus hops and rye spiciness. Taste is total tropical fruit meltdown balanced perfectly by clean tasting creamy malt. The rye spiciness hits at the end, though a sour flavor never comes up. A moderate bitterness is also there. Incredible!

Edit: This beer is much better on tap than in the bottle. Bottled review is forthcoming.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

a: its amber that fits its name. if my state would allow it id mary this beer off looks alone. white head that diddnt have anywhre to be any time soon.
s: rye up front up follwed close by pine hops.
t: ritch rye that is very smooth. slight smokeyness finished by grass\pine hop profile.
m: verry smooth well blanced with ritchnss nd bitterness.
o: this beer rocks. its a real treat. best of its kind and a must try. great work yet again fonders.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a deep amber/copper into a pint glass. An inch head fades into a lacing that lingers.
Spicy hop aroma, rye and a bit of caramel. A "grapefruity", citrus bouquet comes out too.
Absolutely wonderful on the nose!
A full hop punch on the palate, spicy and piney, grassy feel. Very smooth, very drinkable, extremely balanced. Rye spiciness in the background, keeping it fresh and tasty!
What a beer! Simply amazing!
Hoppy (70 IBUs!), fresh and wonderful!
Highly recommended!

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

This one doesn't need it, but let me add my two cents to the growing accolades.

Poured from 12oz bottle into a 20oz pint glass.

A: Huge head, Lots of tiny bubbles, retention and lacing both long lived.

S: Grapefruit, spicy/pine, and sweet (hint of caramel maybe?)

T: Bitter up front, but mellows out almost immediately with a blast of many complex flavors, then finishes with slight bitter but doesn't linger. (very interesting and very good)

M: light to medium body and bubbles, bubbles, bubbles. But, as others have said: The heavy carbonation is a compliment here and not a turn-off.

D: While by the strictest definition this is not a session beer. In spirit and taste it is. I could and have drank these all night long. And will do so again.

I highly recommend this brew. I have shared Red's Rye with quite a few people (at least 10 people) both men and women and only one had less than great things to say about it. Everyone else said "Do you have any more?" That's 90% approval right there. What more can I say...

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

I get a resinous deep rich west coast hop smell with some spicy sweetness. The sweet hop flavor is very noticeable The thick malty rye bread taste builds as you take more sips. It mixes with the hops very well and the citric resinous herbal bitterness really makes this just like a top notch IPA.

While easily being mistaken for an IPA it does have a thick rich rye taste but what i like about it is that its a sweet taste. As I drink more the more flavorful it becomes. The rye really comes out and the thick malty sweetness does as well. What a complex beer.

Hands down my favorite rye beer. Not only because of the obvious amazing west coast ipa hop flavor and bitterness but because of just how tasty that malty sweet rye is. As I'm sure others can tell you this is just all around a really great beer.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

This is truly the gold standard for Rye PAs. First time reviewing. From a 12oz bottle into my Darkness snifter for effect.

Pours a vibrant, hazed, dark reddish/copper. A stiff pour will produce a very dense, cream colored, two-finger head. Solid retention and some decent lacing.

The nose is wonderful rye spice and grapefruit hops. This is exactly what a Rye PA needs to smell like.

Tons of biscuit and spice from the rye upfront that almost instantly blends with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Some sweeter malts come up the middle lending balance. A pleasant rye aftertaste keeps you coming back for more. Insanely well balanced. For 6.6%, I don't see it getting better than this.

Medium in body, but on the heavier side for a PA. The rye gives it a nice chewiness. Ample carbonation helps lighten the load. Finishes very dry (with the amount of hops and rye this is no surprise). Super drinkable.

Overall this is my personal favorite of the Rye PAs, and objectively an exceptionally well crafted brew. The rye and grapefruity hops blend so well together it is almost like it's own flavor. Too bad Founders has a relatively small distribution area. If you are in that area and haven't yet tried this, shame. Try it! Cheers!

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Pours a slightly hazy light copper color with a bit of a reddish tint. Foam is thick, creamy and long-lasting and the lacing is plentiful. A very nice looking beer.

Smell is nearly heavenly with ample amounts of bright citric hops and spicy rye notes. There are some caramel and toasty malts in the background, but the hops and rye are the main attraction.

This beer does a great job of showcasing both hop flavor and bitterness. Floral, grassy and grapefruit hoppiness play nicely with the zesty, pepper and bread-loaf rye flavors. There is a touch of sweetness in there to help smooth things out a bit. The mouthfeel and body on the beer are just about right for the style and I'll be damned if Red's Rye is not far from chuggable. Drinkability is through the roof. I dont think I could ever get sick of drinking this brew and am very sad this is the last of a six pack I got for Christmas...thanks Dad! Unbelievable beer, great job (as usual) Founders.

Founders Reds Rye
On draft at Sunset Grill in Boston, MA

Appearance: reddish-copper, small head, and good lacing.

Smell: hops, rye, and a nice citrus.

Taste: hops, rye, and a faint fruity citrus.

Mouthfeel: medium and incredibly smooth.

This is a great brew. The aroma is wonderful. The flavor balance can be noted from the first taste. It is nearly perfect and flavorful.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

A- Appearance poured a nice amber with a full white head that fell quickly leaving lacing down the glass.

S- Amarillo hops citrus

T- Wonderful balance of hops and belgian malt exceptional taste

M- Smooth and crisp very clean finish of hops and citrus.

D- Could have more than one or two of these.

Bottled on 06/28/12, poured in conical pint

A: Pours a hazy deep orange-red with a tan 1 finger head and little lacing.

S: Sour rye bread aroma, slight citrusy hops and spicy notes.

T: Grainy and slightly sour rye flavors, earthy yet spicy. Bitter grapefruit and faint caramel malts. Finishes bitter that fades into spicy sweetness.

M: Medium carbonation with a soft, creamy, satisfying mouthfeel.

O: This is a great beer, exactly what you would expect with Founders. Like great American pale ales, it pleases with its hops, however the addition of rye creates a spicy, earthy, and wonderfully different tone for this brew. Get this beer whenever and however you can, it is excellent.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a darkish-red color with a one-finger head into my glass. Nice hue here.

Aroma is spicy and full of grassy hops in the nose. Very inviting aroma and it reminds me of rye beers that I've homebrewed.

Taste is sweet and spicy and reminiscent of a slice of rye. Grassy hops shows up in the middle but they don't dominate the palate, allowing the rye to shine through more.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering spicy rye and grassy hops. Very nice overall feeling to this beer. Enjoyable as well.

I love this beer. It reminds me of why I have homebrewed several rye beers. There's just something about the flavors and the mouthfeel that keeps me coming back. This is certainly a marvelous professional example of the style.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

I have bought many six-packs of this delicious beer before at Capone's.

Appearance: Pours a bright, true reddish color with a beige colored head. Nice lacing left on my glass. Nicely carbonated.

Aroma: Very citrusy and fresh.

Taste: Awesome hoppy blast from amarillo hops..that is what I notice the most. Also there is a nice coupling of rye spicy flavor and malts to give this ale a nice balance.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer goes down immensely easy, smooth, I can easily drink a few of these in a session, especially if I am not driving.

Overall, one of favorite beers I can regularly find and buy all year round.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

This is the first Founder's beer that I truly loved. Poured from a bottle kept in an igloo cooler about 5 minutes ago. The Head started off very nice, and there is still a nice layer of head on the top. Served in a tankard, just because this is what I always drink Red's with, I like the open top to smell all of the gopodness. Appearence is amazing. mix crimson with burnt umber and you have this beers color. Not a cloudy beer. Head is a light latte color. Aroma is citusy-hoppy. Most likely due to centennial hops, which I believe is used in a lot of Founder's brews. Taste is to die for. Citrusy-hoppy just as the aroma forshadowed. very slight tinge of drynedd that you can only notice if you really look for it. Taste is dominated by hops, but the flavors of rye and toasted malt (?) are present too. Thick and chewy mouthfeel which is very enjoyable. Drinkability is through the roof. I've purchased countless six packs of this beer, and will probably keep buying it untill I die, or untill Founder's goes under, whichever comes first (hopefully me dieing is first because it would be a sad life in MI without Founder's) I suggest going out and getting this beer as soon as possible, not just as single, I'm talking like a kegs worth.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Tops out as one of the best beers I have ever had! Dark chocalate brown with a small head, smells of bourbon, a dash of malt, chocalaty for sure, making me very hoppy! Smooth rich and goes down fast! I'ld write a review about its taste but all the ground has been covered on this one. Outstanding!!! I need not say more!

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

my first experience with a RyePA.; exceptional. definite fan of this brewery.

A: dark red, thick tan head
S: the rye comes through, remebered that pepper note from rye whiskeys. malt comes through strongly as well.
T: starts sweet, good caramel malt notes, biter hops begin to take over about half way through, finishes bitter and complex and lingers there.
M: medium weight
O: a definite go to for me when i'm looking for something on the bitter side, the rye defenitely adds complexity to the IPA style. highly recommend.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Invested in a full 1/2 barrel for my home tap. Love this stuff. Great balance of bitter, body and unique flavor of rye. Nice maroon color and head that creates a nice lacing. Avoid if you don't like rye. But if that is good for you, it is a great alternative to super hoppy west coast ipas.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Really excited to try this beer,heard lots about it over beeradvocate, great taste really wish to see more of thoses brews around this area (newhampshire)
the flavor of this beer is very unique compare to this everyday micro brews that I like.

Very hoppy, beautiful color at the pour, over all really good! Defenely a 10 high score on my board!

Lately I have Ben discovering lots of small brewerys but world class score thanks for beeradvocate.
And thanks to the founders master brewer! Keep working for THE BEST!
I m a big supporter of fine tasting brews.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a reddish brown color with a thin lace of head. Smell is sweet and has a grapefruit aroma. Taste is bitter with grapefruit flavor. The beer goes down smooth, but has a very bitter aftertaste and is slightly sour. This is one exceptional beer. Another great offering from Founders.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Dark rusty red with a large creamy peach fuzz colored head that lasts forever. Huge carbonation bubbles slowly pop and leave a chunk of lace on the surface of the brew.

LOTS of Amarillo hops with some doughy yeast and a little sour rye smell.

The amarillo hops really complement the sour tones from the rye very well. There's a little heat from alcohol and a spicyness from the rye. Fantastic beer. I wish I could go to the store and pick this one up daily.

Many thanks go out to trbeer for the opportunity to have this delicious libation.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company