Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,022 | Reviews: 1,656
1.21/5  rDev -71.1%

12oz. bottle thanks to nflmvp

Pours a very hazy reddish-brown with a mountainous tan head that breaks the plane of the glass, but eventually thins. Thick, sticky lacing on the glass. Some thick brown yeast floating on top of the head. Contaminated?

Smell is funky yeast. I suspect that this bottle has been compromised.

Taste is all funky yeast with a very sour hop flavor. Definite contamination.

Very disappointed that my first experience of this beer was a contaminated bottle. It has definitely been plagued by the grand funk of death.

1.51/5  rDev -63.9%

This beer pours a clear copper with no head or lace. The aroma is mainly grapefruit with caramel in the background. The flavor is pure hop bitterness which completely overpowers the palate. It's mouthfeel is light-medium and leaves a strong, bitter aftertaste. Founders Reds Rye PA is a disappointing, one-dimensional beer. Not recommended.

2.02/5  rDev -51.7%

Orange-copper hazy body with a half-finger of head that stays.

Rye spice initially, a lot of fruit and hot alcohol after that.

Huge amount of oxidation overwhelms everything here. There are rye notes and some hop bitterness at the end, but all in all, very hard to swallow.

Moderate carbonation and pretty drying.

This tastes like someone's third batch of homebrew. I've heard a lot of great things about Founders and being a MI native I was very excited to see it in NC. I really hope this was just a bad batch, but it makes me wary of blowing another $10 on their beer.

2.05/5  rDev -51%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This brew offers lots of malt, hops, rye, and some grapefruit, but just a little too much bitterness especially on the after taste. The bitterness almost leaves a flavor that makes the beer unenjoyble and I am a big IPA drinker so I am usually used to this... This one just doesn't do it for me like the other Founders IPAs do.

2.49/5  rDev -40.4%

First of all, I don't know if Founders decided to change the recipe of Red's Rye beer into Red's Rye P.A., or if it is just a name change. But I searched for Red's Rye P.A. and didn't find it, so I'm adding it now. The label reads, "Hopped-up Ale brewed with Rye."

Poured a dark-reddish amber with an off white head. I couldn't smell any aroma when I tried this beer. Medium bodied, caramel malt flavor and no distinguishable hop aftertaste, not good for something that is supposed to have an IPA characteristic. It was not balanced, malts dominated and there was a strong alcohol taste. Overall this one missed the mark.

2.51/5  rDev -40%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Medium mouth feel with malty hints. Very strong bitter notes that leave a not so enjoyable after taste. Has a very welcoming appearance and smell but was very thrown off by the flavor. Not my favorite beer to taste, but a decent IPA for what it's worth. Doesn't leave an enjoyable mouth feel and the bitter taste lacks enthusiasm.

2.52/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Consumed on 03/02/08.

Pours a hazy medium orange/copper. Lots of bubbles rising through the suspended particulate matter of this cloudy beer. A head a finger high was formed quickly, and just as fast dissapated into a thin foamy skin.

Aroma is full of grapefruit and pine aromas. A metallic tang crept in as the glass warmed a bit.

First sip: Maltier than I expected, with a sweet caramel flavor. Some mild wood notes as well. Then a surge of wet cardboard sort of ruins things for a second before the substantial bitter finish with some sweet oranges furtively appearing.

Luckily, the cardboard disappeared after the first sip. Unluckily, so did the malt character, leaving a glass full of bitter hop juice. A hint of rye flavor appeared later, right before I poured this stuff down the drain.

Ack!

Mildly tingly on the tongue and a little chewy.

Sorry, but to me, this was a drain pour and was dealt with accordingly. Bitter wood isn't the way I like a beer to taste.

2.57/5  rDev -38.5%

Just not an IPA fan, though I can take it in rye form. I see this gets high marks, but just not for my taste.

2.58/5  rDev -38.3%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was gasoline colored and did have a pretty nice head. The color of the head was a light tan. The beer had a truly hoppy smell to it. And The beer had a truly hoppy taste to it also. It reminded me of eating a cypress tree. I will not buy again

2.65/5  rDev -36.6%

As a fan of rye beers and separately IPAs, I wanted to like this, but the beer has a sort of whacky, out-of-balance characteristic. The Michigan hop-head aesthetic is in full bloom here. Bell's Brewery has been setting the pace on these over-blown hop styles. The problem with this Rye PA is that the hops get masked by the rye grain charateristic. Sort of a train-wreck. Malty sweetness isn't evidenced by intent, but the result of this combination is sort of a sharp mush of bitterness. Over many beers this would escalate with growing fatigue on the palate. I've tried this on two occasions- once in the tap room at Founders and once at a bar in Ann Arbor. I did not finish either pint. Exceptionally poor label art too for Founders on this as well.

2.7/5  rDev -35.4%

A big thanks to Redboot for sending a bottle my way. Thanks buddy.

On to the review.

A - Ok. Thicker than I was expecting. A red brown color. Very little head. Was served around 44 degrees so right there on temperature. Huge chunks of yeast and material floating all around the beer even after it was poured very carefully into my glass. Never really settled to the bottom. Just kind of "weird" in my book. Reminded me of fresh maple syrup in color and consistency. Just average.

S - Hops are very present. I was wishing there was more of a Rye presence being picked up but there wasn't. I love Rye....that is why I was a little disappointed. Doesn't smell bad, once again different that I was expecting.

T - Average. Wish there was more of a Rye taste but instead loaded with hops. A milder bitter taste...almost sweet as the ale slides down the throat. Still can't get past the HUGE chunks of "stuff" that won't settle to the bottom. White to yellow mustard in color. Just not what I was again expecting. Nothing to write home about if that is what you are wondering.

M - Thick. Coating. Not Impressed. Covers the entire mouth and won't let go. Have to swallow several times to get everything to go down. Yeah....not so much to my liking. Sorry.

D - Nope. Not impressed. Thick. When I want a thick beer, get me a stout or a porter. Not a clean crisp rye beer. Won't search this one out again....unless I know that it is fresh.

Maybe I should go visit my buddy Karl and we could have one of these at Founders. Would probably taste much different.

2.73/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a five-finger light tan head that fades quickly leaving a good lace. Clear red/amber color. Hoppy/malty nose. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Starts hoppy and the hops dominate and leave a lingering bitter aftertaste. Expecting something a little more mellow. $1.75 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.

2.8/5  rDev -33%

A - Medium copper color with a thick head which settled quickly.

S - Grapefruit and Fir bud resin hops smells dominate.

T - Citric hops dominate the flavor, pushing all else aside. I was looking forward to rye flavors, but none were apparent.

M - Thick and slighly viscous, oily hoppiness.

2.83/5  rDev -32.3%

Served on draft at canary in Jamaica plain. Served in a pint glass. Cool.

A. Off white head and a murky amber body.

S. Sweet candy and floral hop.

T. Nice piney hope front and a nice sweetbgrain finish. Good rye bread flavor.

M. Medium

D. Very hoppy for style. Kind of drowns out the malt.

2.86/5  rDev -31.6%

I must be missing something on this beer. It was my first rye beer so maybe that could explain it. I need to give this beer another try at some point. It looked very good, but the taste didn't do much for me. I found it to be much more bitter than I was expecting. I didn't find the smell of this beer to be to appetizing either. I'm way off all the other ratings, so I will need to try this again.

2.92/5  rDev -30.1%

A: Ruddy red. Pours with just a small topping of foam, dissipates within a few seconds to just a ring and some large bubbles.

S: Citrus hops, nice sweetness underneath, and a little dank pine on a swirl

T: Dominated by the malts here. Bready, with a heavy note almost like pumpernickel. Not what I usually think of in a rye beer, but it's interesting. Not getting much of the usual rye spiciness. Balanced bitterness in the finish, but not a lot of hops flavor.

M: Medium body, medium-high carbonation. A little heavy in the finish.

O: Seems like a fairly middle of the road beer to me. A bit too malt dominated, and the hops don't seem to compliment it all that well. Among the rest of Founder's offerings, I wouldn't particularly go after this one again.

2.96/5  rDev -29.2%

I poured the bottle into a glass. A nice dark red color. Plenty of head to the beer. I did not notice the spiciness that other reviewers mention. For me, the hops dominated, with a slight sourness to it. The hops dominating is what hurt the beer for me. I did not notice the alcohol and the only problem with drinking the beer was due to the hops.

A litter sweeter than a normal IPA

Just not a fan of that Founders tastr

3.01/5  rDev -28%

Served in a wine glass.
A beautiful copper amber color with a thick creamy head. Reminiscent of a Guinness

The aroma is spicy hops and a big malt that creates a slight alcohol finish

The taste is reminiscent of a Scottish style. The hops and the rye create a consistent bitter that lingers on the tongue. The lack of definition in the taste makes me want a different beer as I expected a little hop taste. I will admit that a slight pine hop flavor shows but weak at best

Meh

3.01/5  rDev -28%

I love rye beer, but was very disappointed by this one. If I wanted an overhopped IPA I would have ordered one (given the name I suppose I did).

A - Looks very good, at least. Beautiful red color, clear, moderate lacing.

S - Hop crazy, mainly pine and spice, maybe a hint of rye in there somewhere.

T - NO RYE! One of my favorite beers was the Rye Bock from Grumpy Troll, so I wanted to give this a try, but all it is is extremely hopped with a lot of pine, citrus, and mouth drying qualities. Rye in name only.

M - The hops are so much that they practically leave your throat feeling dehydrated--never a good thing.

D - Even if this was just marked as an IPA I'd find the hops too intense for my personal tastes, but if that's your style then you might like it. Just don't expect any rye.

3.06/5  rDev -26.8%

This is a beer caramel in color. Once you bring it up to your nose you can smell hints of citrus. Once you taste this beer you can taste the hops as well as some slight citrus flavors. This also has a good amount of hops, but does have a very strong aftertaste.

3.06/5  rDev -26.8%

Thanks to whoever sent this as an extra, I'm sorry I dug this one out of notes and can't recall who sent it. I apologize!

reviewed from notes taken 7/18/11

A: Large three finger soap sud head with small bubbles conglomerating with medium sized bubbles. A strong look of unset red jello dominates the glass. Stained glass mixtures of reds, oranges, and yellows shimmer in the light.

S: Smells like barley oatmeal. Very malty with a savory germinated greens smell. Hops come through the middle with dominantly medicinal qualities. Straight forward rye beer with a fair amount of medicine hops.

T: Hops with the full range of medicine cabinet flavors. A bizarrely strong acidity that hangs in the back of the throat far too long. An early toffee malt note is sand blasted by dusty hops. There's a rustic flavor character that's intriguing, but it is quickly swallowed by hop medicine. Not so dynamic or pleasant. A let down in the taste.

M: Soft in the mouth with the comfort of a baby blanket. The baby blanket is eventually ripped to shreds by brutally strong aspirin dryness. Bitter medicine lingers, an almost chemical like metallic note proves itself to be an even harsher leader. This beer is rot with mouth-feel strife!

O: This beer was kind of a let down for me. The acidity seems to just come out of nowhere. I have a hard time believing this is the intended state of this beer. However, a strong hop presence really seems like it would dominate the beer in any form. Currently, the hop serves more as a preservative than a flavor ingredient. I'd like to retry this, but I won't get my hopes up, or make it an item I'd trade directly for..

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A- pours a deep dark reddish brown, very hazy, a half finger white head appears and dissipates fairly quickly, spotty lacing

S- kinda spicy smelling, piney hops noticeable as well, sweet caramel notes sneak through, im not really picking up on any rye

T- this is a pretty bitter beer, im not picking up on any of the sweet flavor that i smelled, bitter hops, spicy and dry, im actually a fan of rye bread and i am not getting any rye flavor in this, this isn't even enjoyable

M- smooth medium body, decent balance of carbonation, dry finish, not bad but nothing special

D- im having a hard time finishing this one, it tastes like im sucking on bitter hops that have a bit of spice to it, not for me

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Just not a fan of IPA, being a Rye beer and a bit different was hoping this would be the one to win me over but simply did not. Red's Rye is definitely a bit sweeter than a normal IPA but just didn't do it for me. If you already like IPA you will most certainly love this beer seeing as even I found it tolerable but if you are like me and have not found an IPA you have liked maybe skip this one. I was able to pick this up as a single so don't feel too bad for trying it out.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company