Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,652 | Hads: 5,092
3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz. bottle.

Pours a cloudy reddish brown with excessive amounts of thick yet pillowy off-white head that exhibits remarkable retention. Aroma is mostly spicy rye with some pleasant piney hops and a bit of fruitinesses. Taste is relatively straight forward, its pretty much just rye and bitterness with some thrown in for good measure in the finish. Mouthfeel is ok, medium body and moderate carbonation. Drinkability isn't all that great. I really didn't find this very enjoyable, it seemed a bit harsh overall.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a slightly hazy beautiful amber hue with a big off white head with an orange tinge. Head is literally crawling at a sluggish pace away. Lots of rye and citric/piney hops on the nose.

Very very crisp carbonation with super bright taste. Semi-sweet cereal flavors up front followed by big rye taste and finishes with a piney and minty hop bitterness. Some caramel sweetness lingers on the sides of the mouth along with a bitterness that lingers but its not overpowering.

Very spicy finish. Body stays pretty consistent but is bigger on the front end, thins out slightly on the finish but not by much.

My favorite rye beer so far but rye beer doesnt seem to be for me, meh.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a light red with a fluffy 2 finger head. No lacing, but excellent head retention.

S - Maltiness and hops blended together very well.

T - Good, but the malts actually overpower this one. Especially after drinking fresh Blind Pig on the same night, Red Rye is certainly lacking the hop profile I was hoping it would have.

M - Good mouthfeel - nice carbonation and not too thick.

D - A drinkable beer, but just not that outstanding in my opinion. This would be a nice session beer, but I wouldn't particularly seek it out when there are so many other good pale ales and IPAs out there.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Below is a recent review of the draft version I had of this a little bit ago:

Man do I love this brewery. Just about everything I've had from here I've loved. This was no exception. A really good IPA with all the aspects of rye that you would expect: spiciness, bitter, great! Dark brown color, low carbonation, light colored head, great aroma and the bitterness was very pronounced but not overwhelming.

A very good beer that I'll have again.

I had this on cask at George Keeley's on Manhattan's upper west side. I'm not a huge fan of cask versions but I always try them and this was better than most. Surprisingly good carbonation, nice flavor, not too warm. If you see it, get it.

3.31/5  rDev -21%

Pours a very attractive ruby color, a bit hazy, with a thin, bubbly white-tan head. Presented an aroma primarily of hops. Taste was toffee/citrusy sweet with a strong hop finish. For some reason I couldn't detect anything that was uniquely rye, though I don't doubt it's in there. Taste was typical of an IPA. I know this is not strictly labeled as an IPA, but that's what it resembles. Mouthfeel was moderately crisp with a sticky finish. Drinkable enough and I'm glad I tried it. I won't be hunting around for it, but I'd gladly order one if it was on a restaurant beer list.

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%

*i did not mind it would not drink again*

app: looks like plain jane misses Q. a bit dirty looking.

smell: smells like a dipa, very hop foward with a sweet nut malt backing.

taste: taste like a run o the mill good dipa, nothing special at all nothing bad at all. all the standard hop and malt flavor placements. this leans toward the hop side a bit (other than some of the new dipa's that are malt favored) hops are mostly citrus and the hiddin malts are ... slightly sweet chewy ones?

mf: normal. not bad or good.

drinkable?: maybe as can be, i have had a dance or two with more drinkable dipa's.

3.34/5  rDev -20.3%

Cloudy, thick maroon with a frothy off white beige head. Smell is bittersweet malt with a lovely rich earthy hop aroma. Taste is somewhat more light bodied than expected, with a smooth earthy, grassy, faint sweetness. Nice rye flavor, and a quality beer that suffers from a metallic finish however.

3.34/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Had this one at the Brick Store Pub in downtown Decatur. The hops is masked a bit too much at first sip; however I did pick up the customary IPA bitterness at the end. There was a tad too much rye on the front end and not a sufficient amount of hop bitterness for my taste. I enjoy all the other Founders brews, but have to put this one at the back of the bus. Having said that, while I would never go out of the way to pick up a six pack or growler, I would certainly order it at one of our Atlanta area beer bars if the other draught offerings were sub-par.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

Dark red, with a full head of white foam. Sweet caramel and floral hops in the nose. Flavor is hoppy and malty and dry, with a light Belgian malt twist. Good dry hoppiness and distinct rye character. Sorry, I don’t feel like discussing the beer further.

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%

totally creepy old guy on the label. that and the old-skool cursive reminds me of a stephen king book. pours a dark amber with cloudy head reduction. thin twirly columns of bubbles from the bottom up. smell is citrus hops like an IPA. lots of black pepper and currant in the rear. surprising as i expected vanilla malty rye aromas. regardless, smells fresh and tangy. rye adds a smoky bitterness to the already dry hop fruits and culminates in a double IPA mouthfeel clone. a minute or two later, the rich aftertaste finally dissipates. the creamy woody aspects of the rye appear in the last legs of the finish.. capping the whole experience off with a satisfying lemon butter and orange creamsicle.

the whole experience is good for a few sips, then settles into an average bitterness. good overall, unique for the style but average for a hoppy ale.

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

700 reviews, what's to say that hasn't already been said? I'll be brief.

Brilliant ruby-red on the pour, head billows up annoyingly, delaying my enjoyment of the liquid beneath; but the color is lovely. Smell is striaghtforward citrus hops w/only a minor undercurrent of rye.

The first word that comes to mind after a sip of Red's Rye is "clean". I like my rye a little earthier, with some tang to it. This is tame & toned down, quiet, with only the barest hint of allspice coming through. The hops are present but also on mute, but they carry the rye through to a slightly bitter finish.

Good beer. I have to say I was expecting more, being a big fan of rye & Founders, & hoping for a blow-outta-the-water kind of rye. And looking at the bottling date, I wonder if MN got a few old shipments. I'll give this another shot with a bottle that's fresher with, I hope, even better results.

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%

Reviewed on 5/24/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy brown/amber with hardly any head. Aroma of piney and floral hops. Flavor is fairly hoppy and quite bitter. Some sweet malt (sort of a raisin taste) comes out as the beer warms. Didn't really get any rye. I expected this to be a little maltier actually. Mouthfeel is fairly thick and heavy. This beer reminds me of SN Celebration Ale. Interesting beer. I'd probably have this again, but I'm not in any rush.
6/4/7/3/14 (3.4/5)

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance: medium head that stays with dark red color. Can see carbonation constantly

Smell: hops, rye, a little grapefruit

Taste: Very bitter at first, some rye taste, a sweeter finish

Mouthfeel: very smooth throughout

Drinkability: I would have this again, but will not search it out. It is not a bad beer, but nothing jumped out at me either. I do like other Founder's ales better

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

Bottle courtesy of Tpaliga. Poured a cloudy deep brown color ale with a huge slightly off-white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of bitter hops is quite overpowering with some malt being noticeable. Taste is a mix between some caramel malt with some overpowering bitter and citrus hops. Rye is present though not overly noticeable. Body is above average with some low filtration, which is appreciated. While I did appreciated this beer I would have prefer less hops and a bit more rye.

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

Froth bomb exploder! Bottom notches on the label.

Poured with a huge beige bowl shaped foamy head cap after the bottle foamed up leaving dripping lace in the glass.

Strange almost stout like aroma. Red apple and a follow through of rye bread.

First swigs: Brisk rye, bright residual sweetness, tangy copper metallic twinge, red apple malt backing. Powdery flour. Dry bitter peanut shell finish.

Feel is frothy. Old bottle? Not sure. Lingering sizzle in the finish.

Last swigs: Picked up a red ale and a pinch of rye. Might need to try again.

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured on tap into a tulip glass.

Pours a rich amber with red highlights and a fairly generous head that laves moderate lace. Nose is somewhat malty and spicy and big on the hops. Taste is earthy, sweet, bitter, and full of more hops. Mouthfeel is moderate carbonation and nice and full.

This is a quality beer. It's not something I prefer due to the big hop profile, but the base beer is quality. Bring the IBUs down and I would probably be a big fan.

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%

Yet another big thank you to Leftmindedrighty. You never know what you got till you pop the cap & get brushed back by what you assumed was a mild-mannered beer.

First thing noticed, floaties! Brown spotting coming through the quarter-inch tapioca-colored head. I couldn't see past the fog, but it was as brown as a well greased leather baseball mitt. Not entirely sexy, but just like mixing any leftovers you can find into your 3am omelet, you know it'll at least taste interesting.

I'll say this, it smells sandy. Like a dusty graham cracker. Like it's been crumpled up & spread across something wet, like another one of your messed up Jello experiments. You fiend. You can't tell what kind of Jello it is, but you figure it has to be peach or one of those other funny sparking flavors, because it's a little sharp. The bitterness smells intense, like pungent grass clippings.

Taste is all hops & twigs & bark up front, along with a little sweet-n-sour thing playing along. After it splashes down, it goes straight to the bakery with some dusty crust & a cornmeal-like sweetness. I coughed a little.

A little thicker then I had expected. Almost hearty, with the carbonation giving it almost a gritty feeling. A little slick, like greasy, cold chicken soup. Don't choke on a noodle. :P

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%

Another review in my Founders binge. Poured into a pint glass.

A- almost no head on the pour, the bubbles are big but transparent. The brew is highly carbonated with bubbles all along the glass. The color is a cherry, setting sun look. A little dark but still see through.

S- First initial scent is that of pale malts. Then it is a distinct hop aroma that must be the Amarillo trademark. Fruits kick in as berry and grape. This is also kinda vinous in nature to.

T- Pale malt tastes dominate. The hop is bittering but I can't pick up on a distinct taste, suggesting they may have faded some and this is probably at least two months old. The ending flavor is some caraway seeds. Good use of the rye flavor.

M- The feel is light to medium in body. More malty feel than a hoppy one if that makes sense.

O- This was decent. I liked the rye element, but it was just a little bland for me. Maybe this isn't my style. Easily drinkable though.

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Rye, eh? Wasn’t fond of it, but never had the style before, so a straight-forward review is in order. Started with a hazy, murky brown/red pour with tan head. Not bad at all. Aroma was floral and hoppy, which came thru on the taste along with some citrus and, I guess, rye. Full bodied, rich, and carbonated. Too bitter & sour for my tastes, but I read this is the characteristics of the style.

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy copper color with a single finger cream colored head that fades into a thin coating on the surface. The nose yields a nice lemon almost grapefruit like aroma. The taste is much the same as the nose with the addition of a slightly sweet maltiness. It is medium in body and carbonation. Overall, a pretty solid brew.

3.46/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a dark copper/amber color with a centimeter thick, off-white head that dissipates quickly. Leaves a creamy, spotted lacing.

Smell - Has a slight sourness and rye smell to it.. I honestly can't pick up anything else..

Taste - There is a lot going on here.. First of all, the hops taste very piney and floral. The rye and sourness are very noticeable as well. It's VERY sweet with some dark fruit characteristics and maybe some citrus. There is a small alcohol bite and feint traces of pepper present. And finally, this beer is much more bitter than your average pale ale.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - This being my second rye beer experience.. I know now for a fact that I do not like the flavor of rye. Lol

3.47/5  rDev -17.2%

It took me about 10 minutes to pour the entire bottle into the glass because the head was overflowing everywhere. Once I got it out the bottle the head lasted until I finished drinking the beer, leaving small pieces of tan foam on the sides of the glass. Beer had a strange appearance where it was darker at the top than at the bottom.

Had a strong hop scent to it with a hint of the rye. Was a bit heavy on the carbonation which was not surprising considering the head on this one. Overall had a good flavor. Would consider trying one again.

3.47/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - The beer oured about a finger of head into my Boulevard tulip. A little cloudy body that is brown with only ths slightest reddness to it. Head is a big bouble light tan.

S - Like a good sweet IPA or DIPA. Smooth hops and honey.

T - Pretty good flvors of hops and rye which are well balanced. It's good.

M - Medium body with stronger carbonation. Does not add or take away from anything in this beer.

O - It is a decent beer, but nothing really stands out. Drinkable, but not something I need to seek out again.

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A - Red like color with 3.5cm of light tan head. Beautiful.

S - grapefruit and a slight spicyness from the hops, rye, pumpernickel bread, caramel malt.

T - very, very weak. some caramel malt, a touch of rye, and the slightest hint of hops.

M - really, really watery

D - this beer had a very weak flavor and a watery feel to it. I could easily put down a bunch of this if I wanted to.

The smell of this beer promised so many things that the taste could not deliver on. I can understand why the hops diminished with age, but malt was barely noticeable as well.

Note: I think this a seasonal brew, so it may have been sitting on the store shelf for a long time in less than optimal condition.

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

A- Poured on tap at Sunset into a tulip glass. Pours an amber red with a .5" head. Some lacing as you drink the beer down.

S- This is a pretty hoppy beer. Mostly citrusy NW hops I think. They really overpower anything else in the nose.

T- Pretty much the same as the nose. Quite hoppy for a rye. I have to admit I wish more of the rye came through in this beer.

M- Nice strong carbonation for this beer. Medium thick body.

D- If it wasn't for the hops this would be an easier drinker. I think it is more difficult to drink b/c of them. Overall a pretty tasty brew but I wish I could taste more hops.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company