Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,646 | Hads: 5,044
3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

Dark red, with a full head of white foam. Sweet caramel and floral hops in the nose. Flavor is hoppy and malty and dry, with a light Belgian malt twist. Good dry hoppiness and distinct rye character. Sorry, I don’t feel like discussing the beer further. (254 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Dark Mahogany color, mildly hazy with a fluffy tan head, that leaves a delicate lace on the side of the glass. Subtle nose, with hints of citrus grapefruit and a light herbal quality from the hops. Slight nuttiness from the rye malt. Just a light caramel hint on the finish. The taste is lively and fresh. I notice the nutty character of the rye immediately. This is followed by mild green apple, with a grapefruit hoppy finish. Nice dry bitterness. The mouth feel is slick, just a little sweet. Good drinkability. Overall, very nice beer. (539 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance - amber red in color, little head atop the body - it was tannish in color.

Smell - lots of hops! smells as if they were american hops too. some citrusy aromas are sensed here.

Taste - I can taste the rye in this with a good amount of hops. Hops were not overwhelming like in the smell.

Mouthfeel - very easy to drink. love it.

Drinkability - only have 1 six pack, but i am going to find more. (415 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours an opaque rudy orange. This beer has an enormous and rocky tan head that holds on all the way down. This one is truly a sight to behold.

When I smell this beer what I most pick out is brown sugar. I'm not sure exactly what it comes from and I have never noticed it from a beer before. I also detect the scent of bakery bread. It is quite pleasing and furthers the excitement that comes before the first sip.

Upon the first sip I am hit with an enormous amount of flavor. It is rich, creamy, and delicious. I am reminded of sourdough bread as I quaff this nicely crafted brew.

It feels very full and creamy. This goes down smooth and easily.

This is truly an exceptional beer and another reminder that I need to explore Founders more often. A definite regular in my fridge, I could drink this beer everyday (and sometimes do). (839 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a Founders squat fattie into a tumbler. As the name implies it's a reddish color, kind of burnt copper with a huge and thick and durable foam. The smell is hops, I'd call it an IPA from the smell alone. But I don't know the actual aroma or taste of rye...

The taste is hoppy and spicy, with a really thick mouthfeel. Kind of reminds me of DFH 90 minute at about 1/2 strength in flavor.

Really nice. (416 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

thanks to SwillinBrew for this one. i thought i was done with reds. this is a damn tasty brew. im tasting some caramel, hops and other goodness. it is a very refreshing beer. i would like to try more from Founders. i think the key is the rye. i like 'hop rod rye' from Bear Republic a lot... this is not as hoppy but a good beer none the less. give it a try if this is your style.

music: wolfmother (401 characters)

Served in a pint glass, the Red's Rye pours a red/orange color with a small off-white head. It has more of a citrusy and less of a floral hop smell to the beer. The beer definitely has a strong flavor to it. It tastes like citrusy (grapefruit) hops, with some spicyness from the rye, with a bitter finish to it with the aftertaste lingering for a while. There's a good bite to this beer. It has a medium mouthfeel with some pretty good body to it. I'm not exactly a hophead, but I found this beer to be pretty enjoyable. I guess I like the bitter hoppy bite this beer has! I'd recommend it to others to try, and I would drink this again given the opportunity (I only bought a single bottle of this). (699 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

I'd been eyeing a six-pack of Founder's Red's Rye at Downtown Wine & Spirits for awhile. I picked one up tonight along with a few other beers. The beer had warmed sufficiently by the time I got home. I served it in my NERAX pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep red-orange with good clarity. A massive uncontrolable beige-brown head eventually fades to a thin constant layer. Fluffy lace coats the inside of the glass.

Smell: Floral hops dominate the aroma. Upon swirling sweet fruity and malty aromas appear, including berries and caramel.

Taste: Persistent hoppy bitterness is evident throughout. Sweet caramel malts appear in the center. The finish is slightly spicy.

Mouthfeel: Tingly-carbonation, smooth, medium-bodied and oily.

Drinkability: Very tasty.

Overall: Red's Rye is well-balanced. The hops are balanced well by sweet malts, but aren't overpowered. (881 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Pours a reddish cola color with little head. Has much the same sweet grain with a touch of berries smell that comes with Founders Dirty Bastard, but withless of the smoky bit and free from the twinge of rubbing-alcohol. Very nice.

Hop bitterness is right up front in the mouth, mildly piney. Great toasted grain flavor that finishes on a rye note not quite sharp enough to cover in mustard and ham.

That's beer. Very smooth on the tongue with sparky carbonation. Fills the mouth well, and with its well rounded flavor is a beer I will enjoy for a long time to come. (571 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle from FrozenSoul327- THANKS Erik!!

Pours a beautiful red color with nice creamy head. Head disapates quite quickly leaving sturdy lacing on glass

Hoppy smelling beer with a lot less hops in the intitial taste than I was expecting. More malt up front with a hop tingle to finish off the swallow. Spicy but doesn't coat the tongue, it's more of a clean hop spice.

Excellent beer I wish I could get in the NW. (416 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle provided by deejaydan as part of BIF33. I've really enjoyed this beer each time I've had it, thanks for the opportunity! Pours a strong two finger head over a murky brown rust liquid. Smells rye musky with grassy hop co-ho, tangerine, and mild grapefruit pith. Some oranges float on fruity esters.

Tastes caramel and rye musky. Hop bitter is in line with the malt and works well with the rye edge. Tangerine hop flavor with modest lemon and orange. Gently caramel. Gentle alcohol gives the citrus an aromatic ride. Dry finish keeps the md-thick body from hanging. Modest carbonation despite the strong head. (617 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4%

This beer poured highly carbonated, actually over flowed out of the bottle, then took about 20 minutes to finally pour into the glass. The head is light brown thick and frothy like whipped egg white. The body has yeast floating around the red-orange body and looks wonderful. The smell is funky, rye, caramel, light citrus hops, and a powdered drink mix aroma. The taste is syrupy upfront with a bitter hop bite that is followed by a smooth blast of sweetness leaving a bready like quality in the finish. This is a wonderful brew that has alot going on def going to go back to this brew. (587 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours an redish orange with a white head. Smell was good with a nice hop aroma mixed with some fruityness in there. This had a bitter bite with plenty of hop and citrus notes. The rye came through but not as powerful as one would think. A decent balance, the mouthfeel was good, but had plenty of bite and kick to it. A long lingering aftertaste mixed of many flavors. A good offering from founders, but rated lower consider I had this one after trying other founders beers. (474 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

This is the first Founder's beer that I truly loved. Poured from a bottle kept in an igloo cooler about 5 minutes ago. The Head started off very nice, and there is still a nice layer of head on the top. Served in a tankard, just because this is what I always drink Red's with, I like the open top to smell all of the gopodness. Appearence is amazing. mix crimson with burnt umber and you have this beers color. Not a cloudy beer. Head is a light latte color. Aroma is citusy-hoppy. Most likely due to centennial hops, which I believe is used in a lot of Founder's brews. Taste is to die for. Citrusy-hoppy just as the aroma forshadowed. very slight tinge of drynedd that you can only notice if you really look for it. Taste is dominated by hops, but the flavors of rye and toasted malt (?) are present too. Thick and chewy mouthfeel which is very enjoyable. Drinkability is through the roof. I've purchased countless six packs of this beer, and will probably keep buying it untill I die, or untill Founder's goes under, whichever comes first (hopefully me dieing is first because it would be a sad life in MI without Founder's) I suggest going out and getting this beer as soon as possible, not just as single, I'm talking like a kegs worth. (1,241 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -7.4%

The beer poured a hazy copper with a nice tight head. The aroma wafting off was of citrusy hops - possibly centennial and/or chinook...

The flavor of this beer starts bold and is dominated by citrusy and grapefruity bittering hops. A full, but not overy dextrinous malt follows with a spicy and peppery finish. The crisp and clean yeast used help accentuate the inherent spiciness of the rye and hops used.

The mouthfeel was medium, but just a tad undercarbonated for my tastes. Then again, this beer might come across as too sharp if they were to kick up the CO2.

The drinkability was very good. The beer is full on flavor, but not too heavy of a mouthfeel to make you quit after just one. It'd be pretty easy to down a few of these tasty brews consecutively. (769 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle.

Hazy rust color..incredibly dense off-white head is less than a finger tall, but sits on top of the brew forever, leaving streams of lacing down the side of the glass.
Great rye aroma & flavor (a really underrated ingredient in beer, imho). I love the rye taste combined with the hops..there are also some definite fruit undertones present as well. The thick malt base holds everything together very well and remind me of carmelized brown sugar. Similar to Terrapin's Rye Pale ale, with a bit more fruit flavor added. For me, I'm not sure you can go wrong throwing hops & rye together..so I really enjoyed this brew from Founders. (648 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

a - deep red color, small head that left little to no lacing, lots and lots of huge chunks, more than I think should have been there

s - spicy, citrusy hoppy bitterness, could detect the alcohol and the rye also

t - lots of bitterness with some hints of citrus and piney hops in there, malted rye, and spice, alcohol in with the bitterness on the finish

m - the chunkies tainted this beer, I actually had to strain it because I was basically having to chew with every drink, I don't mind a few big chunks, but this was ridiculous...must have gotten a bad bottle

d - I'm not a huge rye beer fan, but this one had a good taste, probably wouldn't drink more than one though

I thought this was a good beer apart from the chunkage. Unfortunately, that just tainted it a bit for me.

New review - 12-29-06

Totally different experience this time with this brew. Got a good bottle this time and there was no ridiculously huge chunkies. Great taste with the rye and hoppy bitterness being in perfect harmony. Good mouthfeel without all the sediment. Highly drinkable as well. Huge jump in rating for me. (1,114 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Nice crimson red color. The carbonation really came on, even while I poured gently. 2 inches off white foam, left crazy lacing, settled to a nice thick chunky coating. Earthy, spicy nose. The rye definitely comes through....spicy crispness. This is a seriously hoppy beer. Bitter, with some sour citrus notes. Clean finish, makes it very appealing. Fairly highly carbonated. Adds to a prickly, spicy mouthfeel backed up by solid malt. This is unique and tasty as hell. (507 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1%

12oz. bottle with a weird funky label. The label had a picture of a red old man with disheveled hair and with big thick glasses giving the drinker this dead stare. To me he looks like a mad scientist that does human experiments and is looking at his next prey. There is no freshness date but there is a notch on the main label and if you know how to read it, that will tell you a date, I guess? For this beer I had to break out my old American pint glass.

Appearance: When poured into my Beck's American pint glass, the beer was a really nice crimson red with a head of tan colored foam that was smaller than 1 inch. It was disappointing to see that it dissipated away fast leaving just a few rings and no sticky tan lace around the glass. At least the color of the beer was nice.

Smell: One of the best aspects of this beer! When I twisted the cap off, this nice spicy hops aroma comes pouring out. After I poured it, the aroma were these spicy piney hops mixed in with citrus fruits, with the grapefruit being the most predominate in the citrus fruits. If that wasn't enough, there was another wave of aromas after that. That consisted of some malt and with just hint of juicy fruits behind that. Excellent aroma!!!!

Taste: I thought that since that this beer was brewed with generous amounts of malted rye, that this beer would just taste like malted rye all over. That's not true with this beer. I noticed up front there was plenty of bitter piney hops and citrus fruits. After that was the trace of sweet malts and the spiciness of rye at the very end. Basically I found this taste to be very bitter with plenty of spiciness at the end.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel sure does bite, with those bitter piney hops and the spiciness of the rye. That aftertaste sure does linger on after a while.

Drinkability: Much better than what I expected from this beer! If I ever want to be kicked again with spicy hops and rye, I'll make sure to pick up this! Another great treat from Founders! (1,997 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

This Founders offering pours a bright brown amber with substantial head that never leaves. Aroma is big and spicy, with some citrusy hops and piney notes as well. Thankfully, you can smell the malt backing for all of those hops. On the palate, this big, smooth beer starts off with exploding bitterness, then shifts to some sourness at the mid palate. The finish and "burn" at the end seem like classic rye to me. Overall, this is a wonderful beer that is unique, interesting, and tasty to boot. Very well done. (511 characters)

12 oz. bottle from a trade with mlh1227.

A - 1" dense khaki head. Very good retention and holds out well at 1/4". Red / cherrywood hue. Nice lace all the way down.

S - Serious hops for a red ale. Big grapefruit / pine aroma. The hops definitely jump out first, but there is a nice caramel malt undertone.

T - Toasted malt followed by an almost IPA like hop kick. Piney hops. Mild chocolate earthy malt in finish. I have only had one bottle of each, but this reminds me a lot of Troegs Nugget Nectar. Excellent and full of flavor.

M - Full bodied, rich, creamy mouthfeel.

D - Very nice drinkability. As far as the rye goes, I am still not that acquainted with the flavor that rye imparts on the beer. I have only had 3 rye beers at the most. I can tell you that this beer and this brewery (after 2 samples - this one and Centenial IPA) kicks ass. Thumbs up to mlh1227! (883 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4%

12 oz brown bottle, no freshness date.

A- Awesome head, the retention show its best by leaving big sticky patches of off-white lace on the glass. The center part of the head is a multi-sized bubbly mass of a plateau. Mildly hazed orangey brown color.

S- Big aroma of ruby red grapefruit and evergreen hop. Kiss of spicy rye and a big juicy fruity maltiness in the back.

T&M- Oh so very smooth, thick malty body. The bitterness tingles with small sharp bites into the maltiness, big herbal, tobacco, pungent citrus and mint hop flavors flail about. Warming alcohol hits in the middle. Clean spiciness from the rye ... solid maltiness middle to end with a lingering sun-dried herbal hop flavor.

D- My oh my, this is one tasty treat. The rye and hops complement each other well. Paired well with some aged Irish cheddar cheese. (836 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6%

A: HUGE head! I had to stop pouring or I would have had an overflow. Tight bubbles show that the tan head is going the distance. Any filtration here? Hard to say...Looks like they just left it alone. Amber copper body with scores of micro bubbles rising to the surface.

S: Aroma reminds me of fruity pebbles...seriously. Notes of toasted rye and pine resin.

T: Distinct amber sweetness with an even distincter rye aftertaste. Very pronounced, very original. More piney resin flavors come thru as the beer warms with a bitterness that takes the forefront.

M: Bit prickly but nothing obtrusive.

D: Darn fine. As the last sip goes down, my mouth taste like I've been chewing on grapefruit. Darn fine. (710 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%

Oh wowzer.

I wasn't expecting a ton from this beer as I hadn't done any research on it, but it's nice to be pleasantly surprised.

Pours a reddish brown, below a creamy mocha colored head. Leaves lacing down the sides of the pint glass.

Oh, if only I had a snifter for this one. Incredible aroma. Sweet hop flavor, reminds me of the smell of a fruit salad. Smells like grapefruit, honeydew, canteloupe, and a light malt aroma in the background. The only thing I've smelled that's better than this one is Goose Island IIPA and these two are basically in a league of their own.

Nice hop bite initially then fades into a sweet malt finish. Grapefruit juice and piney hops dominate this brew. I think i'm in love. So crisp, so juicy and finishes with a nice roasted malt aftertaste.

The only department I feel this beer is lacking is the mouthfeel. I think it could be a tad thicker. A little too thin for a beer as complex as this.

If it were readily available I could drink this beer day in and day out. Red's Rye reminds me so much of Arrogant bastard. From the fruit-juicy hop sweetness, to bitter, to sweet malt, to a quite pleasant aftertaste this brew is truely world-class. Very under-rated and under-hyped in my opinion. (1,246 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

I had a pint of this at Kellehers Irish Pub in Peoria.

Served in a Guiness style pub glass, the beer was reddish gold with a smallish white head.

Nice nose of floral hops, sweet grains and honey.

Wow, really solid. The beer leads with a nice flowery bitterness followed by a fruity taste and sweet rye. This is just a great combination. The rye lingers with a bit of aromatic hops. There is some more bitterness late. Everything works well togehter.

This beer manages a crisp yet full mouth. Great session beer! Well done!!! (537 characters)

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company