Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,647 | Hads: 5,059
4.16/5  rDev -1%

A word of advice. Drink this one warm. When I first had this, I thought it was overrated, bitter crap. But luckily, my last bottle warmed up a bit and that's when it came alive. As it warms up, it gets a LOT better. This one's like coffee. Wasn't meant to be cold. I'll review this assuming you drink it slightly below room temperature.

It pours out red. The head is a little darker than normal.

Smells like rye bread.

The taste is bitter, in a good way, and tastes like bread with a little bit of alcohol.

Very drinkable, but if I haven't said it enough, wasn't meant to be cold. I reccomend storing it at room temp, and putting in the fridge for 10 minutes before drinking. (688 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Nicely carbonated, poured a deep amber/dark honey hue. Smell was sweet, with fruity hops and some dry breadiness.

Taste was a bit understated, the fruity bitterness of the hops is noticable but not noteworthy. Finishes extremely light but with an underwhelming dry aftertaste. The roasted, bready malt quality I got from the smell wasn't significant.

Overall a decent brew, but didn't quite live up to the expectations I had following my experiences with their good scotch ale and fantastic porter. (501 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

appearance: beautiful amber brown color with moderate head that dissipates quickly.

smell: clean, crisp hop and pine smell.

taste: delicious IPA flavor that is accented by the rye addition. Sweet initial taste followed by a pleasant bitter aftertaste.

mouthfeel: nothing too extravagant here. The reason I graded this down was not because RRPA disappoints in this area, but simply because it doesn't really add anything particularly interesting.

overall: simply put, a great, refreshing beer that can easily be enjoyed with a variety of meals or by itself on a summer day. As far as rye ales are concerned, this is definitely worth checking out. (650 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

a: poured a dark amber with about an inch and a half head the slowly went away. carbonation races up the side on the glass while drinking leaving a foamy trail.

s: citrus rinds indeed dominate the smell. i could not distinguish the smell of hops over the citrus.

t: starts off quite smooth with a bit of sweetness. but, once the liquid hits the back of the tongue it's all bitter and spices that lingers.

m: crisp, spicy and dry. once finished with a sip/drink, the after effect makes you want to take another sip/drink immediately. mouth gets very dry and spicy once finished.

d: nice brew in this style. overall a very tasty beer and a nice alternative to have in the fridge/cabinet next the ipa, dipa, and belgians.

cheers! (784 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a dark amber color with a slight red cast to it. Head is small with a mild milky off white cream texture. Left a milky ring in the glass with each sip. It actually tastes a little like toasted dark rye bread. Six of these would be plenty in one evening. I really liked it and will buy it again. (300 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Great-looking beer with a huge, voluminous, light red head. Pour slowly. Deep red, hazy body with bits of sediment from the brewing process. A very raw, wild looking beer.

As noted, sharp citrus in the nose with that wonderfully caustic, sour rye aroma. Suggestions of malt that bear themselves out in the taste.

Citrusy and bitter when it hits your tongue, and that rye sourness comes in very soon after. This is an incredibly sour, bitter, and malty beer. It finishes a bit wetter than other beers in the same style, which I think suits the beer very nicely. Its haziness and crazy head make it seem like a very wild beer -- in contrast to other rye beers like Sixpoint's Righteous Ale that seem a little more refined.

I found this beer to be a sipper, but if you slurp down Brettanomyces for breakfast, lunch, and dinner you might be inclined to empty your glass a bit more quickly (obviously this beer isn't a Brett beer, but it's still very sour). Overall, an incredibly satisfying beer from Founders. (1,009 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle poured into a 20oz. imperial pint glass

A: Beautiful deep reddish-brown, slightly more golden near the bottom. Two fingers of head that took almost two minutes to dissipate, leaving a thick, tenacious lacing that clings 'til long after the beer is gone.

S: A nice nose, but nothing special. Good harmony between hops and malt, but no particularly intriguing hop or malt aromas. The balance is nice, but perhaps at the loss of a more robust nose/more outstanding floral or citrus notes.

T: Again, similar to the nose, nice balance between hops and malt, though certainly a little more hop dominance than in the bouquet. The rye is subtle, and the finish is dominated by the hops.

M: Medium body, very fitting of the style. Not too full, but has some substance to it.

D: Wonderfully smooth for a beer this hoppy. The hop bitterness doesn't predominate so as to curtail the drinkability. What? Mine's already gone; must be good.

Overall: Nice "Rye P. A." Not my favorite beer, but probably my favorite rye. Admittedly, I usually don't like rye beers too much, but this one isn't dominated by the rye and strikes a nice balance with the hops. If you see it and like rye or hops, or even aren't totally turned off by hops, give it a shot (1,246 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a cloudy red amber color. Huge tan head, some lacing.
Appears to be sediment lofting throughout glass.

Smells like a traditional american IPA with caramel hints and dark malts, definitely some rye in there. A tangy wheat aroma also comes through.

Tastes bitter on the initial sip and washes with an earthy grain explosion on the palate.

Smooth body and medium carbonation.

Don't pass on this uniquely crafted brew. Complex but yet so original. (456 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a pint glass, a cloudy reddish amber liquid appeared, with a 1/4 inch of white foam.

Smell was very floral, almost like a bouquet of wild flowers on my grandmothers kitchen, of summers long ago. I swirled it around in the glass and to my surprise the smell was completely different than what I had first thought. I was at the beach and catching a whiff of a briny salt water pool.

Fortunately the taste was much better than a pool of briny salt water! It was a deliciously bitter and yet well balanced beer. A very good hoppy amber beer I'd say. Maybe my taste buds aren't as sharp as some, but I really didn't get much rye taste out of this beer.

Mouth feel was smooth and a bit dry. Not overly carbonated. Very drinkable beer. Hoped for more Rye flavor though.

cheers. (788 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy reddish with a decent head.

Citrus hops in the aroma, with rye.

Citrus and rye are the dominant flavors as well. Nearly an IPA, but balanced with rye and caramel malt flavors. Flavorful.

Mouth felll full and carbonated.

Worth seeking out. I think I prefer Double Trouble to this, but this is interesting and a quality beer. (342 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz bottle i've had in the fridge for about 3 months.

a-poured a beautiful, rich, clear dark red into a brooklyn brewery tulip but produced almost no standing head and quickly retreated to a thin layer of foam

s-the beer's smell is pleasant, crisp/piny, but not over powering

t-the taste is rich, surprisingly strong alcohol flavor (i find most founders brews dont taste as strong as they are), with a good bit of the spicyness that comes from the rye

m- similar to a typical pale ale, maybe a bit thicker, but not as much as i would expect from most rye ales

d- drinking the bottle is clearly not an issue, but not sure i would want to line a bunch of these up in a row for one sitting. (693 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle picked up at Table and Vine in Springfield, Bottled 01/03/12, Enjoyed 01/26/12
A: Clear ruby-red color, nice off-white head that leaves very nice lacing.
S: Sweet grapefruit jumps off this thing. While I love tropical hop flavors and they are so hot right now, this thing really makes me realize how beautiful just simple grapefruit can be. It really smells both juicy and bitter and epitomizes American C hops. I know this is amarillo dry-hopped, but I throw amarillo in there with cascade and centennial. After I calm down from the grapefruit the rye is certainly there as is an herbal edge to the hops.
T: This beer offers a legit hop onslaught. Sweet hop flavors pound the palate. Grapefruit and a little hop funk kick in. The rye is there but is subdued by the hops. The rye is most prevalent on the finish and lingers with the citrusy hop oils. The beer stays very dry through-ought. I certainly taste the rye but not really any other malt characteristics. It finishes very dry but not overly bitter.
M: Mouth feel is beautiful. I would say it is on the fuller side for a 6.6% IPA/ Rye Beer. The malt backbone gives it lots of body but is not that present in the taste. Just the way I like my hoppy beers.
O: Overall, insane beer. Loaded with hops but not overly bitter. The rye plays second fiddle to the hops perfectly. One of the most drinkable really hoppy beers I have ever had. (1,396 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Founders is a dangerous brewery out here. There are a few of their beers that are collectable; like their Canadian and their Kentucky Breakfast Stouts. Things where people will line up for hours and they will run out in half an hour. I hate this kind of thing with beer, however, that is another rant for another day. This makes me want to hate their beers and them for turning something which should be enjoyed into a pretentious fight. However, their core beers are really good. They have fought to take convention and turn the beers on their heads. There is a complex thought process that goes on here. The Rye Pale Ale is much more complicated than it sounds. The beer is ruby red and the maltiness is replaced with the sour spiciness of the Rye. The hops are bitter and the beer melds into unique perfection.

Enjoy.
http://www.dudeletter.com/?p=2071 (855 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This is a very unique beer that is excellent on occasion. This is certainly not a heavy beer, but for me it is difficult to drink a lot of these in one sitting. It is a very nice change in pace having a rye beer every once in while because of the flavor that it brings the table. (279 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4%

A: Poured from a 12 bottle at 50deg into a snifter. This bottle makes a loud pop when the cap comes off, pretty nuts. The color is a nice copper red with a thick, billowy cream colored head that ever so slowly fades.

S: Apple skins are everywhere in this. Just juicy smelling. I pick up some good aroma from the hops that gives it almost a forest full of pine trees smell, not over powering but relaxing.

T: Good flavor in this beer. You can taste the rye, but more so is that apple peel taste. It made it from the smell to my mouth and i love it. Alot more bitterness than in most Red Ales, but its good.

M: The carbonation is high but works well with the taste of this. Has a medium mouthfeel, not watery but not syrupy either.

An excelent beer, probably the best red I've had yet. Tough to come by though as we dont get Founders here in Rochester. I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I travel. (913 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured a hazy brown. Not sure if this is usual for this style. Not bad, but not as appealing to me as a transparent amber would have been.

Ah, but the nose is fantastic. Sweet floral hops. A beautiful aroma that reminds me of my favorite IPAs.

The first taste is a perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. Just the right dryness to make it refreshing. The rye gives it a slightly unique taste that sets it apart from the canonical west coast taste.

I really like this beer. It is very drinkable. At the same time it is complex and beautifully crafted. (558 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a dark hazy reddish color, small 1 finger white head that doesnt stick around very long (probably due to an unusually slow pour.) Great oily lacings all around my cup as I drink. Smells of sweet citrus hops, very overpowering thats really I can smell. Taste of grapefruit all the way on this one, impressive. Medium bodied with a great mouthfeel, low carbonation, and a nice tart pine aftertaste. The balance is superb in this brew, not too sweet not too bitter, great overall, exceptionally smooth. I could definetely have a few of these. (545 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Tops out as one of the best beers I have ever had! Dark chocalate brown with a small head, smells of bourbon, a dash of malt, chocalaty for sure, making me very hoppy! Smooth rich and goes down fast! I'ld write a review about its taste but all the ground has been covered on this one. Outstanding!!! I need not say more! (320 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance: amber in color, extremely thin head

Smell: such a great scent! very fruity - grapefruit and hints of peach. The smell of the hops is also very dominant.

Taste: I thought this beer was definitely going to be one of the fruitier beers I've had, but I was pleasantly surprised. The fruitiness I smelled was not over-powering at all - in fact it was adequately matched with dryness of the rye, evening out the flavor very nicely.

Mouthfeel: Smooth & dry

Overall: LOVE IT. Finally, I have found a beer that my husband and I love equally! Thank you Founders for one less argument in the beer isle! Red's Rye PA was very easy to drink - I know this is produced year round, but I could see myself craving this beer in the Spring and Fall, in particular.

Collage girls drink GOOD beer:
www.brewreviewboston.blogspot.com (831 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

This is a great beer! Deep amber color, grainy sweet carmelized malty smell, and tastes of earthy grains, slightly citrus with a hint of dry hops. Very enjoyable, improves dramatically as it warms. Continues to reveal new subtle flavors with each drink. (253 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Amber color, slight head-less than 1 inch, not crystal clear-not super very cloudy however

Smell: Caramel, malty, nutty

Taste: Malty, carmel, sweet, hop's

Mouthfeel: Filling, not overwhelming-not over carbonated, somewhat heavy but still delicate

Overall: Enjoyable with a lot of great qualities, well balanced, sweet but still has some bitter elements (368 characters)

4.2/5  rDev 0%

note: I had this side by side with the Founders Centennial IPA, so my review may be skewed (I favor the IPA over the Rye PA).

A: Similar to the founders Centennial, with an avg. head. Amber in color with minor lacing.

S: More hop presence than expected. Toasty malts with intense citrus and grapefruit aroma. No yeast smell, very crisp.

T: Does not taste as hoppy as it smells. Rye is not to prominent. Very well balanced with perfect carbonation.

0verall: Easy to drink, very sessionable beer. For the money, I'd stick with the Founders Centennial. (553 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Deep caramel color with two-finger head which leaves thick lacing around the glass

S - Rye, hops, malts, and citrus

T - Hoppy taste, but nicely balanced by the rye and roasted malts.

M - Medium-bodied, flavorful and well-carbonated.

D - Very impressed with this beer. Flavorful and not too heavy. Makes me want more! (324 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a DFH tulip.

A- Literally my favorite color of beer- Deep reddish-copper. Solid 1+ inch head that laces well.

S- SO crisp. I get super-fresh pine and orange with a hint of dry malt at the end of each sniff. Smells like a very solid IPA.

T- Less rye than I would have expected... Excellent balance of malt and hops. Lacking the rye "zing" I was hoping for. Otherwise, again, VERY solid (I)PA.

M- Medium-bodied yet (again) SO crisp. Effervescence is almost too much. I almost wish it were more flat and syrupy.

D- I really enjoy this one. However, the rye factor only seems to give an otherwise solid IPA a crispness it otherwise might not have. That is, I was hoping for a rich, spicy character that I didn't find. That said, I'll certainly seek it out in the future. (797 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Fresh bottle poured into pint glass.

Pours copper red with beige head that leaves thick lacing and nice cover throughout.

As soon as I cracked the bottle citrus floral hop aromas burst out of the bottle, this was a very good sign. Nose has some big citrus notes with malt and spicy earthy rye right behind it.

Taste is all sorts of awesome. Big hop citrus and bitterness, with red ale malt toastiness and rye earthy spice. Alcohol is nearly hidden. I'm in love with this beer.

Mouthfeel is full creamy and sticky. Drinkability is at an extreme level, dangerous.

Overall this an incredible beer. An instant favorite. I will always pick some of this up if it's fresh. I hope to find this on draft. (702 characters)

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company