Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,649 | Hads: 5,076
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Now this is one heck of a rye beer!

Pours a deep red in color with a light tan head with great retention. This one paired well with BBQ chicken! Smell is quite hoppy, floral and citrusy. Taste is quite similar with that distinctive rye tone to it. A nice blend of hop bite and malt sweetness. Very refreshing and medium-light in body. I think I could drink quite a lot of this!

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Purchased as a single from Picadilly in Champaign. No freshness dating or born on date. Again, interesting and eye-catching labeling from Founder's. Yes, they make good beer, but they do their best to make sure you try it.

Pours a muted red with brown highlights. Pretty two fingered tan head. Eventually dissipates to super sticky ring with excellent retention.

Nose full of citrusy hops mixed with a bit of spice and caramel malts.
Mmm, the tropical fruit hop laden mixture is creamy smooth. Spicy mix in the beginning and middle. Mid to full flavored, finishing spicy, sweet, and bitter.
Very drinkable. This stuff could get me in trouble.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes. Poured a deep amber color, almost rusty, with a small head that sat nicely atop the beer. The nose was very nice, with a definate blast of rye spiceyness and a citrusy hop with a nice thick caramel base underneath. The flavor was complex, with an almost rye-bready flavor with caramel and grapefruity hop. Everything was balanced very well. The feel was moderate with a moderate carbonation. Maybe a touch more thickness would do it good. Overall, a damn fine beer. I liked it enough to have it off tap twice since the first bottle. The flavor balance was just divine. It was smooth and refreshing. I would like to keep a keg of it around in the summer.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazy deep ruby colour topped by a dense, generous, light brown head. Excellent head retention with plenty of lacing. Citrus/pine hop aroma, a little resinous, is prominent, backed by sweet rye malt aroma. Big malty sweetness, almost like gingerbread, balanced very well by strong bitterness and lots of floral hops. Starts quite fruity, with apple flavour, and a little spice throughout. Full body, almost chewy. Finishes bitter with some fruitiness. Very light alcohol warming throughout. Creamy texture is aided by fine carbonation. An absolutely great beer, and one that I'll be on the look-out for whenever I'm back in Michigan.

12 oz. brown bottle with no freshness date.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Wow. Tried this at the Michigan Brewers Cup last weekend at Copper Canyon. The beer was a deep saturated red color with a beige head. The aroma was caramel and fresh hops. Sweet balancing the spice and flower of the hop and the fruitiness of the yeast. Great malt/bitterness balance keeping the moderate alcohol completely hidden. Good creamy mouthfeel, I could have had this as my desert, but the turtle cheesecake was too tempting. This is an excellent beer, I wish I hadn’t waited so long to try this.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Firts of many Founders brews Iam gonna partake in over the next few days,pours a deep amver with a nice fluffy two finger head leaving a nice sheet of lace behind.Hops,hops and more cirus,piney hop with a little lemon wedge in there made me wanna tear into this one,I am almost at a lack of words on the flavors and refreshing complexities of this beer,spruce and piney hop with a nice firm nutty malt backbone finishing with a perfect tartness wich just caps this off making for the almost perfect rounded beer.Damn why did I pass this up in the past I will be bringing this home with me back to NC for sure.

4.74/5  rDev +13.1%

A big "thanks" to warriorsoul for hooking me up with this gem of a Bier... A 12 ounce bottle, which poured a deep, rich amber colour, a big pillowy head and a lace that lingered throughout the glass.

Hops galore in the nose. Notes of fresh grapefruit, malt and some residual sweetness.

Great mouthfeel. Somewhat chewy. Snappy fruit flavors mixed with hops and malty goodness throughout. The rye offers that extra something - a whitty snap, if you will - and something I truly enjoyed. The hops are viscous and piney, but overly so. A very good balance, despite the somewhat dry finish.

Truly an amazing find. My first dive into the rye ale category, and certainly not my last...

4.59/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a good reason for loving rye beers. Cherry-cranberry amber color. No head, slight lace. They have a sketch of some guy on the bottle who I assume is Red--he looks like a maniac like myself.

Smell and taste are apple cider-ish musty malt but musty in a good way. Exceptional in fact. Yes, you can also taste but not smell the rye elements. This dances on the tongue and is still smooth as far as mf and drinkability are concerned.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After having this on tap at the brewpub I had to pick up a six of it. Now that I only have one bottle left I wish I would have got a case, damn this is some tasty stuff. Dark reddish color with a decent tan head. Rings of lacing were left by the floating mound of foam that remained. Quit a hoppy nose with citric and some floral hops jumping out with a nice crisp rye undertone. Light sweet caramel maltiness is there as well. Hops and rye are quite an appetizing combination. Flavor is similar with a nice hop bite to start is off. Plenty of rye and malt to balance out the bitterness. Light caramel, grapefruit and a bit of pine hops all blend together nicely over the rye. Bitter hoppy rye finish. Damn this is some tasty and smooth stuff. Really creamy medium body. Goes down oh so smooth with a light prickliness from the hops. This would be a staple in the fridge if I could get it locally. Almost like a Hop Rod Rye junior. Great stuff.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Told I had an acerbic wit with this one on 5/7/2005. 12-oz. bottle gifted from Warriorsoul poured in a shaker glass.

Clinging futon, summer weight, of filmed head that sticks a good bit, laces nicely too. Glowing, practically neon, red hue with haze but still a great deal of ascending action keeping things interesting on the eye. Very hoppy on the nose, and I begin to wonder if rye has some green characteristics to it; some graduated malt essence and a core of white pepper seeps through the hairs. Very smooth, almost silky mouth feel of hop oil riding in a side car to the lemon, rose hip and ginger ale sweetness, although I would almost say it had a lemon grass aspect as well.

Completely gratifying pour with a wonderful medium body to it, perhaps imparted by the rye? What does the rye do? Time to try the black rye!

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

A splendiferous shade of luminous, dark coppery, reddish orange with a huge number of suspended particles. The crown is nearly as impressive. It's orange-tinted light caramel in color and milkshake creamythick in consistency. The lasting rockiness of the lid, as well as messy rings and small scraplets of lace, put the final touches on a masterpiece of an appearance.

Founders Red's Rye smells like a DIPA... all brassy, sassy hops and caramel malt. It's hard to appreciate much rye given the significant hop load, but I'm not complaining. As long as I get some spicy rye on the palate, I'll be a happy man. The aroma is amazing, with power and personality to spare. Chinook (among others) is in the house methinks.

Upon drinking, I'm still reminded of an IPA/DIPA hybrid. The hops aren't quite up front enough for it to fit comfortably into either style, but then it was never meant to be anything other than a kick-ass rye beer. And a kick-ass rye beer it most certainly is. The huge, rock-ribbed malt backbone is composed of sticky caramel and tantalizingly spicy rye. I repeat my oft uttered plea: 'please craft brewers, use more rye in your beer'.

There's an intoxicating (both literally and figuratively) interplay between bold, caramel-soaked chunks of candied grapefruit and earthy, pumpernickel-spicy toasted rye. Red's is lusciously sweet with a countering, resinous bitterness and a candy apple zing. It all adds up to flavor perfection, especially since new vistas of flavor are opening up as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is medium-full, lightly syrupy and delightfully chewy with a perfect amount of subdued carbonation.

The finish is ultra-long, which gives me the chance to contemplate this beer's many charms without hastening its departure. But all good things must come to an end and I am compelled to continue drinking until my single bottle is no more. Rarely have I been so despondent to see an empty (although nicely lace-encrusted) glass before me.

I haven't yet sampled all of Founders's offerings, but I'd be amazed to discover one that I like as well as Red's Rye. It's easily the equal of Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye, if not quite as assertive. An insanely hopped ale spiced with rye is the stuff of my beery dreams and I wish to thank Founders for making those dreams come true. And deejaydan, without whom this would not have been possible.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a beautiful clear deep amber color with plenty of depth. A rocky head crops up, which leaves sticky lacing as this brew is greedily imbibed. The aroma is absolutely knockout. Huge floral esters massage the nostrils before sublimely bitter hops assuage any inhibitions. Flavor begins smooth, with some sweet malts. Rye kicks in with an interesting grainy spiciness before the pure citrous hop oils sink into your brain. Finish is citric hops with a calming herbal quality. Never had a rye beer before, but I need to try out a few more after this one. I was really surprised in a pleasant way.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

I have come to realize that Founder's Brewing is one of the best up and coming breweries out of the midwest. So far, I have not been disappointed with any of their brews.

Appearance of this beer was deep brown leather with hints of orange and red pearing through. The head left nice lacing down my chalice. There was a decent amount of yeast and other remnants of what I assume to be leftover from dryhopping. THe smell had a wonderful hop punch that left you salivating for a taste. There was definate citrusy notes in the nose. The taste was supremely balanced with a bitter beginning and a dryness in the finish. The rye seemed to have add it's two cents in the finish with the grainy dryness. The bitterness was exceptionally present, but was not as heavy as a IIPA. Overall, this is stuff you could drink all night and love every once of it. I foresee Founder's coming out with some phenomenal beers to add to their already fabulous line (i.e. Centennial IPA and Breakfast stout)

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-deep amber clear body with good carbonation. The head is a thin film of off-white foam.

S- Nice floral hop nose with some sweet maltyness and a bit of spiciness from the rye.

T-Very nice grapefruit hops flavor that grows and grows. A nice hint of pale malt and just a bit of spiciness at the finish.

M-Smooth mouthfeel with a nice fizziness that gives it more body. no astringency or alcohol warmth.

D- Nice twist on a red ale. The rye is very subtle but it gives some balance to the nice hoppiness of the beer. The hops have good complexity and taste very crisp and clean.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer has a cloudy, dark amber appearance. Citrus hop aroma, along with a smell that is like freshly cut wood. Spicy smell too. The flavor starts with a sweet malt presence, then becomes tangy. This is followed by a dose of fresh hops, and finished with a tangy fruit flavor and spice. This beer makes fantastic use of different flavors. It is somehow both full flavored and crisp. Great drinkability. I'll definitely buy this again.

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a screw-top bottle, Red’s Rye yields a bold citrus-hop smell (Cascade?) emanating from a clouded russet body full of lumpy particulate yeasties. The resinous hop flavor is up front, taking no hostages, while the bittering trails behind modestly. I don’t especially notice any contribution from the rye.

This dry-hopped red ale is easy drinking and produces a hearty satisfying belch of hop delight. Special thanks to cmaruschak.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a slightly hazy dark amber with a finger and a half cream colored head. Leaves behind some good sheet lace.
Aroma is fruity and malty nice crisp grapefruit dominates, apricot and other citrus aromas underneath. Aroma is nice a change from what I was expecting from a rye beer.
Taste is great malty full of zest, not over carbonated but it definatly adds something to the taste. Doesn't take long for the hops to kick in nice crisp citrus fruity flavors and a lingering bitterness. Diffrent from other rye beers that I have hadthis is quite tasty.
Mouthfeel is on the right side of medium rye may help in the feel but not much in the taste.
Drinkability is great a wonderful beer easy drinkingmalt and hops both going for it.Founders is my new favorite brewery wish I could buy locally, this stuff is great. Wish to think merlin48 for this wonderful beer.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

As far as I know, this was the first time that Founders has appeared on draft in southern Indiana.

Beer arried a nice medium to slightly dark copper with about 1/2 inch of medium density head. A pretty decent amount of lacing was left the mark its passing.

Smell was mostly along the lines of a good IPA, with a large hop presense and notes of citrus, pine and carmel.

Taste was also mostly along the lines of an IPA. Large hop bite right from the beginning. To tell the truth, I could not detect the presense of the rye at all until the finish, which is just about the dryest finish I've ever come across in a beer. Maybe I've not experienced enough rye beers yet. In any case, the taste is very good.

I liked this beer quite a bit and am impatiently awaiting the chance to try other offerings from Founders.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured with just a slight head, it settled quickly. I can smell the hops right away. That is the big invitation for me, a really kind hoppy nose. The taste is sweet and bitter all at once. I'm reminded of orange marmelade and toast. The mouthfeel is medium-heavy, with no rough edges at all. Drinkability? I may have to come back to this... I can see myself enjoying a few of these, but I can't honestly say how many or how often.. (TBC)

I'm also having a glass of Scott's Selection Royal Brackla from 1976 and it goes very well with an ale like this. And thanks again to John at Federal Wines & Spirits for hooking me up with another bottle of good beer. Cheers.

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks to Nick over at Bauer Wine & Spirits for hanging on to a sixer of this latest and hopefully greatest offering from Founders.
Pours a deep dark cherry, boarding on brown w/ almost a full finger of tan head. Lacing is thin and both disappear quickly.
Aromas filled w/ figs, grapes, cherries, lemons...and juicyfruit hops to boot. Very inviting....
The taste is less as intense, but very enjoyable...it is quite bitter up front that doesn't let you fully enjoy all of the flavors I detected in the nose.
It is not thin, which I really like and is quite dry in its finish. No alcohol whatsoever in the taste.
Carbonation could be slightly less, but overall a great brew.
Drinkability is high...not one of my all time favorites, so I cannot justify a 5.
Great job Founders...they are simply awesome!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Deep, opaque reddish brown pour with a thick, foamy two finger head sitting nicely atop. Thick lacing on the side of the glass. WHOA! Amazingly beautiful grapefruity citrusy hop nose radiates off this brew. A spicy, caramelly background finds its way in there as well. But those hops...man oh man does those hops smell good!

Caramelly, nutty malts hit my tongue first with spicy rye in the mix as well as mixed fruit tones. The grapefruity, citric, floral hops do not miss a beat and bring a healthy dose of bitterness. This is a well balanced brew...with a very nice malt/hop mix. The rye spiciness gives it a nice unique twist. Yum!

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy with a medium body...good medium carbonation. Easy to drink. I wish I had a sixer of this stuff as I could enjoy a few more right now. A damn fine beer....I think more brewers should experiment with rye. Cheers to Founders...I look forward to drinking this one again soon!

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. stubby bottle - no freshness date.

Deep murky orange/copper in color with a small off-white head.

Scent of fresh herbally hops with a sweet malt undertone. Smells similar to sugar glazed cinnamon almonds.

Taste is much more balanced than when I had it on tap 5 weeks ago at the source. Still, juicy citrus hops command the stage. The rye malt add sweetness and a solid balance to this pungent gem. Remarkable dry yet very juicy long finish.

Mouthfeel is amazingly lively - but not overcarbonated at all. Medium body with a welcolmed softness.

Drinkability is crazy. With it's superbly crafted hop bombardment - it leaves you craving for more.

I actually enjoyed this more from the bottle. I'm guessing the pint glass I drank this beer from at Founder's could have been a bit dirty (?). I'm definitley going to visit the brewery and have another sit-down with this great beer. Most definitley not a shy beer!

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a slightly cloudy nearly-red brown with a thin tan head that sticks to the glass.

Aroma is a complex mix of woody spice, pine, sweet sugary malt and pepper.

This beer is a creeper. It starts off easy. Simple piney hops just out of balance to the malt. Then it becomes darker, deeper. Bolder flavors stroll by, warm seed-like toastiness, alcohol, peppercorn and finishing with a biting sharp bitterness.

Fairly full in the mouth with a stinging clean flow followed by a slightly oily character.

This beer went straight to my brain, don't know would want more than a couple in a sitting. But a real treat that I will meet again.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Blooming red in color, hazy appearance, nice slab of creamy-toned foam sits above.
Nice hops, rich maltiness, very bright and vibrant, lively and luscious.
Taste: big buckets of yum. tingly, delcious hops on the palate, warm, full, jam-packed with flavor. Very nice, full of fruit and malt. Incredibly smooth.
doesn't taste like any rye beer I've ever had, the hops are on the top, and the malt is so ...so, everything.
this is damned nice, and would be an a shoo-in as a regular in my fridge, were I able to purchase it locally...full-bodied, with a soft, lush fruity finish. silky.
And I think I said "yum" already...I'll say it three times, then you know it's true.

much thanks to micro for the bottle!

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer comes out a murky ruby red, with a 1" head that instantly dies to about 1/16". Speckled sticky lace even with the tiny rim of dirty white.

Nosewise this beer is an A+. Incredibly deep, dank hop aroma that smells less of grapefruit than gooey-ripe heirloom cherries...just as rich as a rain-soaked hop farm on processing day. At first I didn't believe these were amarillos at work, and i'm still not sure, but there's a ton of citrus lurking in its thinly biting way.

The taste is awash with rye-assisted bitterness; less real grain or huskiness and more into the heart of dank hop darkness. A little puckery aftertaste that lasts, and if its like other Founders i've had, it will get even tastier by the second or third. A slight bit of red-wine characteristic similar to that in Hercules Douple IPA, few flashbacks of DFH 90 in there as well...

The mouthfeel is oily and substantial like I expected, refreshing and sticky at once. This beer seems incredibly fresh and delicious, and as poorly handled as the beers in this area are, its probably downright heavenly fresh or, preferably, from their home.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company