Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
scottfrie

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a red-grape ruby with a couple fingers of oily dark tan head that faded into a thin collar around the glass leaving some lines of lace.
S: Smells of ruby red grapefruit and caramel malts. Not picking up very much rye over all the hops, but there are grainy spicy notes to the beer.
T: The bitter hops still have the most dominant presence, but as the initial kick fades in your mouth, the finish is full of spicy and slightly sour flavors. Aftertaste is bitter and lightly peppery but has a touch of sweet caramel to it.
M: Mouth is full of bubbly prickly carbonation that, after foaming up on your palate, melts into a smooth and rich mouthfeel. Medium-full bodied with no trace of alcohol. As the beer warms the carb fades.
D: I'm a huge IPA fan and a pretty big fan of rye so I was expecting great things from this beer, and I wasn't let down. The rye was a little outshined by the hops, but overall a very good beer that I'd have again if it was local.

09-05-2010 22:33:38 | More by scottfrie
ryanobeirne

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Deep rich amber color with a small amount of fine, just barely visible particulates floating throughout. A rich foamy off-white head with good retention and moderate lacing.

S - Rather hoppy aroma with a hint of rye malt. Slight woodiness towards the end.

T - The hops are outstanding in this beer, and balanced just enough to bring out the just the rye in the malt.

M - Very smooth and crisp, but leaves a slight hop resin in the mouth, in a good way.

D - Super drinkable: I could barely finish writing this before I was done! Very easy to drink all day. Perfect for fall and summer. Heck, it would be good in the spring and winter too!

Overall, I am impressed. This is only my second time trying the beer, but I will be returning soon!

09-04-2010 00:03:20 | More by ryanobeirne
rembrant

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

The look is primo,a reddish amber,textbook 2 finger head with good froth and lacing.

Aroma Good. Interesting hops blend with a bit of fruit,grain.

Flavor, Hops have a bit more nip than expected,a familiar hop taste not unlike Sierra PA I am otherwise not noticing a lot of flavors from malts or Rye Holding it in the mouth I can find a touch of pale and caramel malts but from Founders,I kind of expected more,more complexity,more zip. As a "Hoppy" this can't match recent brew's I had from Victory or Bell's

Odd...I drank it mostly from a mug, took the last inch from the bottle and that final sip seemed to have the missing malts and flavors. Was I supposed to shake well before serving?

Mouth....Density + sparkle are about right Hops linger but are not complex,not evolving much. Tasty but below expectations

Drinkable? Yes It's a pretty good beer but there's many PA's equal or better in the price range. Yesterday..had my first KBS and....OMG.
I expected Founders to bring a top PA,but gimme a Sierra, A Mirror Pond,a Burning River,or better yet a Yakima Twilight.

09-03-2010 23:54:53 | More by rembrant
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

355ml bottle bought online from Beermerchants.com

Poured a light mahogany red colour with a brown tinge... Creamy tan head poured thick and foamy and faded to a nice thin layer...

Aroma - Nice bready malts, some roastiness, light caramel sweetness, figs, brown sugar, faint trace of rye, slight floral notes, citrusy hops, grapefruit fruitiness, some pine...

Taste - Lightly toasted malts followed by nice spicy rye notes, fresh bread, toffee, citrus fruits (oranges and grapefruits), piney and grassy hops, marmalade, slightly nutty, bitter aftertaste...

Feel - Quite smooth with only a slight sharpness. Medium body. Incredibly drinkable for 6.8%....

Overall - An excellent and supremely well balance brew... definitely recommended...

09-03-2010 10:23:00 | More by mdagnew
JoePat

Kentucky

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

This beer pours a nice ruby red with a thick kaki head.

It smells like freshly baked rye bread. It has some caramel and fruity esters with some sweetness coming through.

The flavor has a wonderful rye spicyness with a tongue coating sweetnes. I taste caramel, rye and a little citrus.

The mouthfeel is a strange and wonderful spicy sweet mouth coating syrup like feel. The syrupiness was off set by the spicy and citrus notes leaving a great beer behind.

Not the most drinkable but pretty good for the sweetness.

09-03-2010 01:22:18 | More by JoePat
Franz4

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap @ Dewey's Pizza (from notes)

A- very nice deep ruby red color, head settled by the time it got to my table.

S- Lots of "pizzeria" smells in this place, so difficult to place a review here, but what I could tell, I liked.

T- Tasted very nice, I'm a little leary of rye beers, but this one was very well balanced.

M- nice, well balanced carbonation that left a nice tingle in the back of the mouth.

D- Very drinkable, very surprising beer, really loved it and would have it again.

09-02-2010 03:06:40 | More by Franz4
SamuelJackson45

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

A- A very dark cloudy amber look.

S- Hop and Spices are present.

T- Strong hop taste and a bold spice taste at the finish. Filling like a rye bread.

M- Very dry and light to the mouth. Hop and spice are present though out the sip.

D- This is a good beer. This is my first for this style of beer and looking forward in trying some more.

08-31-2010 07:22:02 | More by SamuelJackson45
KickbacksSteve

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at Trappeze in Athens. Poured into a pint glass. Off- white fluffy head, nice retention. Amber body. Aroma is grapefruity orange hoppiness and some mild malt sweetness. Smooth tasting, nice hop bite, caramel notes on the malt and juicy fruit salad goodness. Lovely.

08-30-2010 18:42:46 | More by KickbacksSteve
scottyb88

Maryland

Bottled May 31, 2010

A- pours a semi-clear beautiful dark brownish-red color as the name would apply like aged whiskey; a nice off white head with minimal lacing

S- a bit faint on the aroma; there is definitely a spicy element from the rye and a pine aroma from the hops; a nice dose of caramel and toasted flavors

T- the spicy rye kicks in at the end with caramel and toasted flavors making an appearance; it's 70 ibus I think but it's more spicy than bitter very interesting taste...spicy peanuts might be a good way to explain

M- great mouth feel with nice carbonation level; the lingering aftertaste is very reminiscent of whiskey

D- as it warms the flavors get more intense and spicier and for me one or two is enough because it becomes a little overwhelming...still a great beer but not exactly sessionable

08-28-2010 01:03:06 | More by scottyb88
dchester

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Great appearance. The head-to-beer contrast is quite beautiful with nice lacing. First thing you smell is grapefruit and slightly burnt caramel. To me, the taste is in-line with the aroma - very citrusy, fruity and crisp, with that backing of malt. This beer is very smooth with a nice hit of hoppy bitterness at the top of your mouth as it goes down.

08-27-2010 23:50:34 | More by dchester
mltobin

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

12 ounce bottle picked up while passing through Mass.

Appearance is a nice amber color with a thick one finger head.
Smell contains citrus notes, including grapefruit, candies such as caramel, and some rye as well. The taste is a mix of some hops, malt, a well balanced sweetness with a very clean aftertaste. It is a medium-bodied brew with just the right carbonation. Red`s Rye has very good drinkability, I wish that I had a few more bottles of this. I will be sure to pick up more of it the next time I am in a state that gets distribution of Founders !

08-25-2010 01:35:53 | More by mltobin
Anthony1

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Thin off-white head that leaves bountiful lace. The aroma is a tropical fruit melange. And some of that resiny taste in the background. The taste follows suit to an extent. You've got your tropical fruit blend. But also some sweet marmalade like tones. The bitterness is sharp, yet clean. And there's a dulled spiciness present that is a contribution from the rye rather than alcohol I believe.

08-24-2010 23:38:44 | More by Anthony1
mdfb79

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

From 08/21/10 notes. Got a bottle at Monk's Cafe in Philly.

a - Pours a dark amber color with 2 inches of white head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, floral hops, soap, and caramel malts.

t - Tastes of bitter citrus and grapefruit hops, bready malts, caramel malts, and fruity malts.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty good rye beer. Lots of hops in the nose, but more malts in the taste. Would have again.

08-24-2010 00:28:59 | More by mdfb79
beerdrifter

Germany

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Picked this up at Save-On, a great beer store in Mentor Ohio. Clear copper pour with quickly fading head and decent lacing. Nice big earthy, herbal nose with hints of toffee, caramel, citrus and rye. The taste is very unique and has a lot going on. The bitterness of the hops hits you first, but is nicely offset by a solid roasty, caramel malt backbone. Hints of tea, pine, grass, resin, toffee, and of course rye. The rye really comes to the forefront as it warms. Great chewy and resiny mouthfeel makes this quite drinkable for me. The spicy rye bitterness is there from start to finish. Only my second experience with Founders, but they're two for two so far! May have just taken over first place with me for Rye PA's.

08-23-2010 16:21:04 | More by beerdrifter
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into tulip aug22 2010

A a hazy ruby red with plenty of carbonation floating up to a two finger tan head that slowly falls to a 1/2in film leaving several partial rings of lace

S some citrus plenty of caramels and some spicy rye malt with some floral hops

T flavors mimic the smell quite well but with a little more to it, some burnt sugar and a bready aspect that works quite well for it, some sweetness and just a hint of booze

M thicker then I would have guessed and fairly bitter, I knew I drank a real beer because I could taste it well after finishing the last drop

D such a well rounded beer and quite easy to drink, I would love to drink this again and will if I get the chance

another thanks to irishkyle21 for sending this one my way, I regret giving the second bottle to a friend before tasting it, I may have been selfish had I'd known how much I would've enjoyed, that's OK though my mother always told me to share the love

08-22-2010 19:53:59 | More by wordemupg
dball

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Red's Rye PA is a great beer. It pours into the glass with a nice two finger head and a rich red color. It is a good balance of serious hops and gentle malt to make for a full and complete smooth yet hoppy flavor. It comes it at 6.6 abv and 70 IBUs according to the brewery.

08-22-2010 14:17:02 | More by dball
mvanaskie13

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked up the founders variety case, this has to be one of the best out there. First up is the Red's Rye PA

Poured from the bottle to pint glass, appears an amber with coppery hues and nice creamy head that dissipated but laced well.

Smell is a kick of piney/citrusy hops with the soury scent of the rye with a hint of caramel sweetness.

Taste is a great blend of caramely malt and rye front with the hop flavor not as potent as the scent but a great blend.

Mouthfeel is great, well balanced, flavors hit the top of the tongue well and the carbonation is just enough throughout.

This is a highly drinkable beer, just a bit to bitter for more than 2 or 3, but great tasting, done very well.

08-21-2010 23:59:51 | More by mvanaskie13
david18

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Below is a recent review of the draft version I had of this a little bit ago:

Man do I love this brewery. Just about everything I've had from here I've loved. This was no exception. A really good IPA with all the aspects of rye that you would expect: spiciness, bitter, great! Dark brown color, low carbonation, light colored head, great aroma and the bitterness was very pronounced but not overwhelming.

A very good beer that I'll have again.

---

I had this on cask at George Keeley's on Manhattan's upper west side. I'm not a huge fan of cask versions but I always try them and this was better than most. Surprisingly good carbonation, nice flavor, not too warm. If you see it, get it.

Serving type: cask

08-20-2010 19:01:06 | More by david18
berpwillie

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

pours a copper brown color with good off white frothy head, good lacing, and lively carbonation. sweet bread caramel like smell. taste was much the same with some bitter grass hints. thin slick texture and a light body. pretty harsh bitter bread like finish with an average flavor duration. good brew but nothing special.

08-20-2010 14:04:35 | More by berpwillie
ommegangpbr

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Another Founder's beer I've had that I somehow forgot to review and I have a good theory as to why I forgot to review these Founder's beers- they didn't last long enough to be reviewed.
If rye beer wasn't its own style I would classify this one as a kick ass IPA with hearty rye flavors within, along the lines of Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye.
The pour is pretty gorgeous and perfect. Mountainous, fluffy off-white head that leaves sheets of lacing as the head recedes. The body is a slightly hazy, seductive amber/red body; very knockout-in-a-red-dress sort of phenomenon.
The scents are pretty killer. Rich, spicy lemon hop aromas dive through your nostrils into your skull. Flavors have the same hop, loving brutality with a malty rye body to balance the experience.
The rye in this, for my taste, takes just a little bit away from the drinkability, as compared to some of the IPAs that I could drink for days without hesitation. As it stands Rye PA is hella drinkable and worth revisiting again and again.

08-20-2010 01:32:23 | More by ommegangpbr
jal30

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass and boy did it look beautiful! Gorgeous copper in color with some brightness and a nice head. Smelled like heaven. Tons of hops in the nose, pine... grapefruit... caramel... rye. Awesome. Tasted pretty darn amazing as well--a beer crafted for me it seems as I love rye beers and all their spiciness, and yet I crave the hop assault of the DIPA. This was both, and yet strangely drinkable. I wouldn't want to drink them all night, but I'd like to have two or three a night pretty much every night of the week! Hops hops hops and rye (obviously) with just enough countering malt character to go down real smooth. Nice carbonation. Give me more! Love this one even more than the Centennial, and you can't compare it at all to the Breakfast Stout (the other Founders' I've tried), but everything I've had from them is phenomenal. Tastes a lot like Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye, which is a great thing and each are one of my favorite brews. Wish there were more "RyePA"s out there as good as these ones. Awesome stuff.

08-19-2010 18:03:20 | More by jal30
GOGRANDE

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

A: looks nice. Dark orange or a copper with a nice size head.

S: fair hops then followed by a nice rose scent.

T: nice hop character here. Hint of beady rye and a pleasnt floral clean finish.

M: I know this is not supposed to a really big red so the mouthfeel fits the style and size of the beer. light to medium and very drinkable.

D: really nice session beer. I wouldnt mind having another one.

Thoughts: Im pretty sure I have never had a bad or even average beer from Founders. I might be byased on this review. Everytime I have a Founders beer I think I already give it the benefit of the doubt. Probably not the best thing but w/e they rock.

08-19-2010 01:57:06 | More by GOGRANDE
nickd717

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Review notes transcribed from April 2009.

12oz bottle purchased from BeerGeek.biz. Shipping was damn expensive so I'm glad it was good!

Really nice reddish color with a tan head and great retention/lacing.

Aroma is sweet malt, caramel, rye, and some hops.

Flavor is like a RyePA, sweet bready, ryey (not a word, I know) malt, honey, spices, and citrusy hops. Really tasty.

Medium body with a creamy palate.

Very drinkable. I look forward to trying this again for sure. Maybe the best rye beer I've had.

08-18-2010 20:21:25 | More by nickd717
punkrkr27

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a bright reddish copper with a nice dense off-white head. Strong citrus/pine hop aroma with a healthy touch of rye and caramel malt. Flavor has lots of pine and citrus, biscuit and caramel maltiness, a touch of dark fruit, a bit floral, and a dry bitter finish. Kind of tastes like a heavily American hopped ESB. Medium to full body that has a nice creamy texture to it.

08-17-2010 15:33:25 | More by punkrkr27
bound4er

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

I've been dying to try this beer and it did not disappoint.

A. One finger off white head sits atop a hazy, orange/red liquid giving way to lots of carbonation bubbles. The head never disappears - it stays about 1/4" thick to the end of the glass.

S. Citrus hops and caramel malt breadyness with a hint of rye spiciness. Really nice nose that becomes even more aromatic as it warms.

T. Very tasty mix of citrus hops (tangerine and grapefruit) with cracker and rye malt goodness providing nice balance and flavor interest. Finishes with prickly bitterness that invites you back for another sip.

M. Smooth mouth feel in a medium bodied frame. Nicely carbonated.

D. For a year round offering, this is an excellent beer (Founders does the same thing with their Porter and IPA). It perfectly melds big, bold hops with a nice malt bill for excellent drinkability. Glad to have finally tried this - it will be part of my regular purchase rotation.

08-17-2010 01:43:55 | More by bound4er