Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: A straight, slow pour results in a deep reddish-brown body topped by an inch of creamy tan foam that even looks a little pinkish itself. Strong retention and plenty of lacing make this a great looking beer all around.

S: Spicy, piney hops really jump out right away, and remain the dominant aroma throughout. There's also some caramel malt and a nice dose of distinctive rye sharpness. Quite nice.

T: The hops and rye really join forces to create a powerful wave of spicy bitterness. A little bit of malt sweetness tries to make an inroad halfway through, but the hops close it out with an intensely bitter finish. It's both intense and enjoyable, but there's a rather pronounced alcohol note on the aftertaste - far, far more than I'd expect from a beer under 7%. It's really, really tasty up to a point, but the finish just keeps bugging me.

M: Slick medium body with moderate, sharp, late-arriving carbonation. Not bad at all, but not as smooth as I'd like.

D: Not bad for the style, I suppose, but I really wish there were less noticeable booze.

Notes: This is a beer with lots of great things going on, but it just doesn't come together IMO. I'd never turn one down, but I certainly don't think it fits in well with most of the other Top 100 brews. If I didn't know it was the strength of a single IPA, I'd think it was just a thin American Barleywine - it's that hot. Founders makes a bunch of world class beers, but this isn't quite one of them.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Sep 25, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this on-tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Amber with an inch and a half of off-white head. Lacing throughout.
S: Hops in the nose. Surprising for the style.
T: Wow! The hops are definitely apparent; citrus. This tastes more like an IPA than a Rye Beer (I like the play on words in the name: Rye PA). The grainy rye flavor finally shows up in the aftertaste.
M: Medium-bodied and good level of carbonation. Smooth.
D: This is a great session beer. Easy to drink and quite enjoyable. One of my go-to six packs.

This is great for anyone. I would recommend this to my friends who are just getting into craft beer, and my BA friends alike. This is a versatile brew!

Dunkle, Sep 23, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +6%

Appearance- pours amber to orange in color, with a 1 inch bubbly white head. Great lacing.

Smell- citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, rye, doughy

Taste- Taste just like a balanced amarillo hopped ipa, plus the edition of rye.

Mouthfeel- medium carbonation/body

Overall- no need for a long review here, you get what you hope for and expect. This is excellent!

JLeege, Sep 21, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to GABF which starts tonight. I may not be able to attend but I can still have a great beer!

I picked up a sixer of this while in Ohio for my friend's wedding and brought a couple home to Colorado.

Specs on the 12oz. stubby bottle are a little different from the BA page: 70 IBUs and 6.6% ABV.

Served cool into my Buckeyes pint glass. Red's Rye P.A. is a hazy, not quite murky, redish brown beer with a thick cap of head that sticks around a nice long time.

Aroma is big on hops, as it should be, but definately with an East coast tilt to it. It smells both caramel sweet and barleywine bitter.

The flavor of this beer is fantastic. There's so much going on between the toasty, caramel malt backbone that just about has enough in it to stand up to the hops. Some nice spice from the rye but not too much. A great combination of earthy, grass, spicy hops along with a good amount of citrus and pine. Very well made beer.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus in body with low to medium carbonation. It has a pretty decent balance but leans towards the hoppy side. Starts sweet but finishes with a nice bitter kick.

Overall a pretty good IPA and great rye beer.
Founders, Bells, Great Lakes - If you're listening, we want you in Colorado!

GilGarp, Sep 15, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

My thanks to a really generous Mike Thorpe. I owe him.

Pours a ruddy (surprising, I know) amber-ish orange. About two inches of foam.

Smells like an IPA. Hmm....no rye in the aroma, just delicously saucy pine and grapefruit hops, and maybe a splash of caramel lurking through.

Taste is very solid. It grows on you. No rye apparent, again, unless it's that slightly grain-y sweet malt aftertaste that lingers. Boldly hoppy with tons of juicy grapefruit, a bit of bittering pine (definitely more pine in the nose), and a solid malt-y caramel-y base.

Surprisingly good. I really liked it. Immensely drinkable. Mouthfeel is juicy, chewy, and fluffy, all at once.

Overlord, Sep 13, 2010

I love rye beer, but was very disappointed by this one. If I wanted an overhopped IPA I would have ordered one (given the name I suppose I did).

A - Looks very good, at least. Beautiful red color, clear, moderate lacing.

S - Hop crazy, mainly pine and spice, maybe a hint of rye in there somewhere.

T - NO RYE! One of my favorite beers was the Rye Bock from Grumpy Troll, so I wanted to give this a try, but all it is is extremely hopped with a lot of pine, citrus, and mouth drying qualities. Rye in name only.

M - The hops are so much that they practically leave your throat feeling dehydrated--never a good thing.

D - Even if this was just marked as an IPA I'd find the hops too intense for my personal tastes, but if that's your style then you might like it. Just don't expect any rye.

DanThomas, Sep 12, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -12%

Finally tried my first Founder's and it ain't no flounder....beer came in a bottle with no freshness date. Pours a deep translucent, unfiltered, reddish copper color, with a thick frothy head. The beer didn't quite smack me with the smell of fresh hops I was suspecting when I cracked it, and I think this beer is fairly fresh, and I can smell a sweet malty backbone. The taste is of grapefruity hops, you can tell it was dry hopped, has that extra-deep pungent layer of hops in there you get from the process, that extra pucker at the end in the aftertaste. But I don't pick up much rye in there, yet there is a maltiness to round out the hoppiness going on here. The label mentions rye, and belgium malts, but honestly, and it could all be due to a slight lack of freshness (please start date stamping these!?), I am a little disappointed with the lack of complexity in the taste of this brew. I love Amarillo hops too! I think it was fresh cause I bought it from a decent store with good turnaround, etc. I know what hoppy beers taste like when they fade....but overall, this is a pretty good beer that I found pretty darn drinkable, despite my complaints. But where is the rye (hell, even always watery Goose Island Mild Winter has way more rye than this)? Oh wait, I taste it, hmm, or did I...and those belgian malts, really?

Star80, Sep 12, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Reddish hue and cloudy, dark tan head that sticks to the glass

S - Fruit and pine hops up front with a hint of rye. Not as much rye as Summits Rye PA, much more balanced.

T - Huge hop pine forefront with a touch of dry rye malt. A touch of sweetness lingers on the toungue

M - Nice high carbonation and chewy mouthfeel

D - Nice hoppy beer but approachable. The sweetness blends well with the rye malt and hops to make this beer extremely drinkable. Great session beer for a hop head

Overall this is fantastic session beer that balances sweet malts, bitter hops and a dry characteristic. Very nice

boomer31, Sep 06, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a red-grape ruby with a couple fingers of oily dark tan head that faded into a thin collar around the glass leaving some lines of lace.
S: Smells of ruby red grapefruit and caramel malts. Not picking up very much rye over all the hops, but there are grainy spicy notes to the beer.
T: The bitter hops still have the most dominant presence, but as the initial kick fades in your mouth, the finish is full of spicy and slightly sour flavors. Aftertaste is bitter and lightly peppery but has a touch of sweet caramel to it.
M: Mouth is full of bubbly prickly carbonation that, after foaming up on your palate, melts into a smooth and rich mouthfeel. Medium-full bodied with no trace of alcohol. As the beer warms the carb fades.
D: I'm a huge IPA fan and a pretty big fan of rye so I was expecting great things from this beer, and I wasn't let down. The rye was a little outshined by the hops, but overall a very good beer that I'd have again if it was local.

scottfrie, Sep 05, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +16%

A - Deep rich amber color with a small amount of fine, just barely visible particulates floating throughout. A rich foamy off-white head with good retention and moderate lacing.

S - Rather hoppy aroma with a hint of rye malt. Slight woodiness towards the end.

T - The hops are outstanding in this beer, and balanced just enough to bring out the just the rye in the malt.

M - Very smooth and crisp, but leaves a slight hop resin in the mouth, in a good way.

D - Super drinkable: I could barely finish writing this before I was done! Very easy to drink all day. Perfect for fall and summer. Heck, it would be good in the spring and winter too!

Overall, I am impressed. This is only my second time trying the beer, but I will be returning soon!

ryanobeirne, Sep 04, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

The look is primo,a reddish amber,textbook 2 finger head with good froth and lacing.

Aroma Good. Interesting hops blend with a bit of fruit,grain.

Flavor, Hops have a bit more nip than expected,a familiar hop taste not unlike Sierra PA I am otherwise not noticing a lot of flavors from malts or Rye Holding it in the mouth I can find a touch of pale and caramel malts but from Founders,I kind of expected more,more complexity,more zip. As a "Hoppy" this can't match recent brew's I had from Victory or Bell's

Odd...I drank it mostly from a mug, took the last inch from the bottle and that final sip seemed to have the missing malts and flavors. Was I supposed to shake well before serving?

Mouth....Density + sparkle are about right Hops linger but are not complex,not evolving much. Tasty but below expectations

Drinkable? Yes It's a pretty good beer but there's many PA's equal or better in the price range. Yesterday..had my first KBS and....OMG.
I expected Founders to bring a top PA,but gimme a Sierra, A Mirror Pond,a Burning River,or better yet a Yakima Twilight.

rembrant, Sep 04, 2010

355ml bottle bought online from Beermerchants.com

Poured a light mahogany red colour with a brown tinge... Creamy tan head poured thick and foamy and faded to a nice thin layer...

Aroma - Nice bready malts, some roastiness, light caramel sweetness, figs, brown sugar, faint trace of rye, slight floral notes, citrusy hops, grapefruit fruitiness, some pine...

Taste - Lightly toasted malts followed by nice spicy rye notes, fresh bread, toffee, citrus fruits (oranges and grapefruits), piney and grassy hops, marmalade, slightly nutty, bitter aftertaste...

Feel - Quite smooth with only a slight sharpness. Medium body. Incredibly drinkable for 6.8%....

Overall - An excellent and supremely well balance brew... definitely recommended...

mdagnew, Sep 03, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer pours a nice ruby red with a thick kaki head.

It smells like freshly baked rye bread. It has some caramel and fruity esters with some sweetness coming through.

The flavor has a wonderful rye spicyness with a tongue coating sweetnes. I taste caramel, rye and a little citrus.

The mouthfeel is a strange and wonderful spicy sweet mouth coating syrup like feel. The syrupiness was off set by the spicy and citrus notes leaving a great beer behind.

Not the most drinkable but pretty good for the sweetness.

JoePat, Sep 03, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap @ Dewey's Pizza (from notes)

A- very nice deep ruby red color, head settled by the time it got to my table.

S- Lots of "pizzeria" smells in this place, so difficult to place a review here, but what I could tell, I liked.

T- Tasted very nice, I'm a little leary of rye beers, but this one was very well balanced.

M- nice, well balanced carbonation that left a nice tingle in the back of the mouth.

D- Very drinkable, very surprising beer, really loved it and would have it again.

Franz4, Sep 02, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

A- A very dark cloudy amber look.

S- Hop and Spices are present.

T- Strong hop taste and a bold spice taste at the finish. Filling like a rye bread.

M- Very dry and light to the mouth. Hop and spice are present though out the sip.

D- This is a good beer. This is my first for this style of beer and looking forward in trying some more.

SamuelJackson45, Aug 31, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

On tap at Trappeze in Athens. Poured into a pint glass. Off- white fluffy head, nice retention. Amber body. Aroma is grapefruity orange hoppiness and some mild malt sweetness. Smooth tasting, nice hop bite, caramel notes on the malt and juicy fruit salad goodness. Lovely.

KickbacksSteve, Aug 30, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottled May 31, 2010

A- pours a semi-clear beautiful dark brownish-red color as the name would apply like aged whiskey; a nice off white head with minimal lacing

S- a bit faint on the aroma; there is definitely a spicy element from the rye and a pine aroma from the hops; a nice dose of caramel and toasted flavors

T- the spicy rye kicks in at the end with caramel and toasted flavors making an appearance; it's 70 ibus I think but it's more spicy than bitter very interesting taste...spicy peanuts might be a good way to explain

M- great mouth feel with nice carbonation level; the lingering aftertaste is very reminiscent of whiskey

D- as it warms the flavors get more intense and spicier and for me one or two is enough because it becomes a little overwhelming...still a great beer but not exactly sessionable

scottyb88, Aug 28, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Great appearance. The head-to-beer contrast is quite beautiful with nice lacing. First thing you smell is grapefruit and slightly burnt caramel. To me, the taste is in-line with the aroma - very citrusy, fruity and crisp, with that backing of malt. This beer is very smooth with a nice hit of hoppy bitterness at the top of your mouth as it goes down.

dchester, Aug 28, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

12 ounce bottle picked up while passing through Mass.

Appearance is a nice amber color with a thick one finger head.
Smell contains citrus notes, including grapefruit, candies such as caramel, and some rye as well. The taste is a mix of some hops, malt, a well balanced sweetness with a very clean aftertaste. It is a medium-bodied brew with just the right carbonation. Red`s Rye has very good drinkability, I wish that I had a few more bottles of this. I will be sure to pick up more of it the next time I am in a state that gets distribution of Founders !

mltobin, Aug 25, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Thin off-white head that leaves bountiful lace. The aroma is a tropical fruit melange. And some of that resiny taste in the background. The taste follows suit to an extent. You've got your tropical fruit blend. But also some sweet marmalade like tones. The bitterness is sharp, yet clean. And there's a dulled spiciness present that is a contribution from the rye rather than alcohol I believe.

Anthony1, Aug 25, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

From 08/21/10 notes. Got a bottle at Monk's Cafe in Philly.

a - Pours a dark amber color with 2 inches of white head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, floral hops, soap, and caramel malts.

t - Tastes of bitter citrus and grapefruit hops, bready malts, caramel malts, and fruity malts.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty good rye beer. Lots of hops in the nose, but more malts in the taste. Would have again.

mdfb79, Aug 24, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Picked this up at Save-On, a great beer store in Mentor Ohio. Clear copper pour with quickly fading head and decent lacing. Nice big earthy, herbal nose with hints of toffee, caramel, citrus and rye. The taste is very unique and has a lot going on. The bitterness of the hops hits you first, but is nicely offset by a solid roasty, caramel malt backbone. Hints of tea, pine, grass, resin, toffee, and of course rye. The rye really comes to the forefront as it warms. Great chewy and resiny mouthfeel makes this quite drinkable for me. The spicy rye bitterness is there from start to finish. Only my second experience with Founders, but they're two for two so far! May have just taken over first place with me for Rye PA's.

beerdrifter, Aug 23, 2010

12oz bottle poured into tulip aug22 2010

A a hazy ruby red with plenty of carbonation floating up to a two finger tan head that slowly falls to a 1/2in film leaving several partial rings of lace

S some citrus plenty of caramels and some spicy rye malt with some floral hops

T flavors mimic the smell quite well but with a little more to it, some burnt sugar and a bready aspect that works quite well for it, some sweetness and just a hint of booze

M thicker then I would have guessed and fairly bitter, I knew I drank a real beer because I could taste it well after finishing the last drop

D such a well rounded beer and quite easy to drink, I would love to drink this again and will if I get the chance

another thanks to irishkyle21 for sending this one my way, I regret giving the second bottle to a friend before tasting it, I may have been selfish had I'd known how much I would've enjoyed, that's OK though my mother always told me to share the love

wordemupg, Aug 22, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Red's Rye PA is a great beer. It pours into the glass with a nice two finger head and a rich red color. It is a good balance of serious hops and gentle malt to make for a full and complete smooth yet hoppy flavor. It comes it at 6.6 abv and 70 IBUs according to the brewery.

dball, Aug 22, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked up the founders variety case, this has to be one of the best out there. First up is the Red's Rye PA

Poured from the bottle to pint glass, appears an amber with coppery hues and nice creamy head that dissipated but laced well.

Smell is a kick of piney/citrusy hops with the soury scent of the rye with a hint of caramel sweetness.

Taste is a great blend of caramely malt and rye front with the hop flavor not as potent as the scent but a great blend.

Mouthfeel is great, well balanced, flavors hit the top of the tongue well and the carbonation is just enough throughout.

This is a highly drinkable beer, just a bit to bitter for more than 2 or 3, but great tasting, done very well.

mvanaskie13, Aug 22, 2010