Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Pours a coppery red with two fingers of creamy off white head. The head dissipates relatively slow leaving great lacing down the entire glass.

S: There is a huge aroma to this beer! Starts out with a large amount of piney hops followed by some malt and rye.

T: Piney hops up front mixing with slightly sweet malts and rye and finishes with some citrus rind. As the beer the warms the rye really seems to come alive. This is a very flavorful beer that makes me want to keep coming back for more.

M: Medium bodied with excellent carbonation.

D: This is a very drinkable beer that I will definitely be purchasing again.

Jeebs, Mar 07, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

New Beer Friday! A huge thanks to kzoobrew for this beer. Cheers friend!

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a scarlet, hazy color. About two fingers worth of head are obtained that dissipate relatively quickly and leave moderate lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - This smells great! Took me by surprise. A definite hop, pine, and grapefruit nose in the forefront. This is followed by some light malt characteristic that has a scent of caramel and then behind that the distinct aroma of rye. There is an additional fragrance mixed in (a good one) that I just cannot put my finger on, but it is certainly welcomed in the mix.

Taste - An immediate bitter hop taste mixed with piney goodness. This is then smacked to the side by a relatively intense rye flavor that I enjoy. I've always been particular to rye bread (memories of a child) so this is right up my alley. Once the rye fades it becomes a hint more citrusy (unripe grapefruit) and then finishes with just a hint of malty caramel.

Mouthfeel - Moderate body, carbonation that has a nice bite to it, and finishes a bit dry.

Drinkability - Very much so. I am really liking how the flavors are mixing together. A very refreshing and tasty brew. I would defiantly have this in my weekend mix during the summer if I had my hands on it, to give me a break from all the D/IPA's I'd be drinking. Would buy again.

SpdKilz, Mar 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz bottle Duvel snifter

Great beers like this are keeping me on a rye kick. Ive had this before, but never got a chance to review it.

Pours dark amber with a cream colored head. This beer looks inviting. The head quickly dissipates into a thin cap. I take a whiff and its all there. Bitter hops hit my nose first and the strong, spicy rye is not far behind. Theres actually a little alcohol in the nose as well, although pleasant.

The taste is also what you might expect, although presented perfectly. A lot of hops up front, mostly bitter. Theres a little fruit character from the hops but not much. The hops are balanced perfectly with the spiciness of the rye, and some caramel sweetness.

The mouthfeel is pretty thick, but airs on the side of a "medium" mouthfeel. The carbonation is just prickly enough, everything is well balanced. If you want to try a rye beer or RIPA with a true "DIPA mouthfeel" try Shmaltz (Heebrew) Bittersweet Lenny's. That beer is syrupy, and also a little bigger in every way.

Drinkability is great at 6.6%. There is nothing too overbearing or too heavy about this beer to make it un-sessionable.

Another great rye beer, and an excellent beer from Founders! If I didn't have to drive all the way to MA to get this stuff, it would be in my fridge constantly.

zoolzoo, Mar 04, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a clear copper with a small white finger sized head that leaves excellent lacing.

Loads of citrus and piny hops up front with a hint of rye.

Hops up front that are slightly balanced with a sweet malt character and rye ties it all together quite nicely. Very clean and lingering bitter finish. The rye seems to come out more on tap vs bottled.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

These are very easy to put down, a bit more-so than when bottled.

teovaldi, Mar 01, 2010

let's try a short one.

A: creamy, yeasty, foam that sits tall and holds very still, beautiful brassy red color

S: floral hops, lots of hops

T: good and bitter, long-lasting hop flavor, easy tapered finish

M: crisp, enjoyed it cold, low carbonation

D: very drinkable

Summary: more than your standard pale ale, very bitter hops but not aggressively so, smooth finish, drinkable

gregalobeer, Mar 01, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a red/orange color with a thin, off white head. Not a great deal of aroma. What's there is faintly hoppy, but a little different. Ah, that's what it is, the rye is evident at first sip. Taste starts out creamy with a good malt profile. Finish is dry and bitter. Rye makes it's presence known throughout. Very tasty! Feel is creamy, with appropriate carbonation. Very drinkable IPA. Another solid offering from Founders! I enjoyed this beer and would have it again!

Sideswipe, Feb 28, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours dark red with small off-white head. Dusty sediment visible. Not getting much rye in the smell, getting mostly caramel, sweetness and hops. Hmm, interesting taste. I am definitely getting a subtle rye taste which I like alot. A lot less hops than I expected, maybe I have an old bottle? Tastes of pine and wood work great here as well. Still getting a bit of caramel sweetness too which balances out the more dense previously mentioned tastes. No alcohol taste present here and the tastes aren't overpowering, I would not session it though mostly because of it's slight heaviness. Another excellent and complex offering from Founders.

Chico1985, Feb 28, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

Originally found this beer at the Beat Kitchen on Belmont in Chicago. I had never had a Founder's beer before, but it came highly recommended by a trusted beer buddy. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the Red Rye, but I ended up very, very, very happy with it.

APPEARANCE: Medium to dark copper color, almost like a penny that's not too old, but not brand new and shiny either. The head was thin with a few stray big bubbles on the surface - it was poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

SMELL: Very strong floral smell, but not overly fruity, very appetizing despite the fact that I'm not such a huge fan of floral notes. It made me want to dive in right away.

TASTE: My first thought on this speak volumes...only one word comes to mind - delicious, just absolutely delicious. Not too fruity like many other IPAs. Instead it is just a nice, almost perfectly balanced beer. The floral notes are present, but the medium hoppy flavor becomes stronger as you head towards the bottom of the glass. The rye flavor also becomes more noticeable throughout the drink and mild caramel flavors are also noticeable, adding just enough sweetness, but not too much, to make this beer a fantastic choice.

FEEL: Thin head, but a surprisingly lively feel once it hit my mouth.

OVERALL: At 70 IBUs the Founders Red's Rye is right up my alley. As much as I love to jump all over the place with my beer selections during a night out, if I find Founders Red Rye I stick with it for the evening. It also makes a fantastic six pack to bring home and unwind with.

StoneTSR, Feb 27, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a rich reddish mahogany brown with subdued carbonation, a smallish parchment head and moderate lacing. Aroma is quite nice with plenty of grapefruit, some caramel sweetness and a rye seed twinge in the background. Flavor is quite nice. Extremely well balanced, complex yet nuanced. Plenty of grapefruit from the hops, solid caramel and bready malt backbone and a rye toast presence that compliments, rather than dominates as in some other rye beers. This beer has a firm bitterness that once again, seems to meld with the other flavor aspects. Very tasty. Medium bodied with a wonderful surprisingly smooth mouthfeel and great semi-dry finish. Oh, and this finish is miles long. I take a break to type and the rye lingers on my tounge. I am not the world's biggest rye fanboy, but this one is well executed and extremely drinkable. Strongly recommended by a friend from Founder's home of Grand Rapids, back in my native mitten. I have to agree that this is a top notch offering from one of the Midwest's premier brewers.

zoso1967, Feb 26, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Look:Dull copper color, small head, light lacing

Smell: Hoppy, citrus, pine, whiskey

Taste: Up Front: Malty, rye bread, pine, sweet. Finish: dry, slightly bitter

Mouthfeel: Slightly chewy, sticky

Drinkability: This is a session beer for sure! Where's the pastrami?

Overall Impression: Another winner from Founders! It has a good malt backbone and a little hoppiness , with the unique twist of rye. It's a Jewish deli explosion in my mouth! Oye Vey!

BeerGodz, Feb 25, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Review reflects both on-tap and bottle versions, which I feel are identical.

A: Pours a hazy brownish red with a one finger head that dissipates into a cap that lasts the entire beer. Laces very nicely. There are some nice-looking golden highlights in this beer, though head retention could be a tad better for the style.

S: Hops, some sweetness, and very little, if any, rye is noticeable. There is a nice tropical citrus-like hop fruitiness to this one. Very DIPA like in the aroma, the bottle says 70IBUs, so I can see why. With aromatic hops this powerful, it's hard to get past them and look for other complexities. Very aromatic.

T: Hop bomb. This tastes like a very well done DIPA, especially at 70 IBU (approx. the same as HopSlam). This one is reasonably balanced with citrus + tropical fruit like hops that dominate the flavor profile. Bitterness is perfectly dynamic and allows easy drinking. The finish is quick and clean, there is very little linger bitterness. A tinge of malt comes through on the finish at times.
Perfect for a DIPA, but for a Rye beer, I have to admit that I can't taste any Rye. Still looking... nope, no rye at all here, but I do not care. Founder's has created a beautiful variation of the DIPA with dynamic bitterness and a refreshing hop profile.

M: Medium bodied, perfectly carbonated, and sort of creamy. Doesn't have the thin or syrupy feel of some D/IPAs.

D: I can drink a giant mug of this, oh wait, I have. As drinkable as hop bombs can get.

O: My favorite hop bomb, pick this one up if you like em'.

icetraxx, Feb 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A surprise extra off my wants list from a generous trader. 12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

The body of this beer is a very dark and slightly cloudy auburn color. Even with a cautious pour this forms a large and fairly persistent tan head.

Big pine-y and bitter hops and spicy rye aromas are no surprise but I'll admit the rye character jumps to the forefront more than I expected based on my previous rye beer experiences.

First sip and again I'm taken back by the clarity with which the rye is shining though. While this beer is hoppy and bitter enough to keep most hop heads on board they did a great job making the spicy and vaguely tangy rye characteristics the star of this brew. Really quite enjoyable.

Balanced flavors along with the medium body and ABV are begging me to drink this faster. I'm honestly a little upset that only half a glass is left. If this comes in 22oz bottles I'll post an ISO ASAP.

Overall I'm very impressed with this one. Although they're sometimes excellent, many other well known American brews that use rye are essentially American IPA's with rye thrown in to up the complexity. While not quite as hop forward as something like Hop Rod Rye, the way the rye is so skillfully showcased really makes this a special beverage. This would definitely be a regular in the fridge if I could find it locally.

berkey, Feb 25, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a rich dark amber, with ruby red hints. Great retention. Nose is of woody spiciness and piney hops.

Flavor has a bitter bite, leaning towards spicy, woody hops. I swear there's some Simcoe in there. Rye is a nice touch. Surprisingly a bit sweet and malty in the residual end, especially as it warms. The Amarillo dry-hopping has clearly faded since this was bottled in '09, though some slight perfume lingers. Mouthfeel is medium-full with medium carbonation.

Hard to find any major fault with this beer. Very drinkable for such a bitter, flavorful brew.

dasenebler, Feb 25, 2010

Pours copper with a nice fluffy white head - decent retention and lacing. Taste and aroma are hop-forward, with generous helpings of malt and a touch of rye. Tasty, but not mind-blowingly so - simply good. Mouthfeel is good with appropriate carbonation. Good drinkability.

All in all a good brew, but doesn't stand out.

Mavajo, Feb 24, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

12 ounce stubby bottle poured into a pint glass.

The Red's Rye PA pours an amber almost copper color with a thin 1 finger head and some lacing on the glass. Aromas are sweet malts and caramel. A solid hop backbone that rounds out the nose. The grains are much more prominent in the quaff along with a nice candy sweet finish. Also some citrus orange peels and lemons. Not much hoppiness is noted in the mouth. Mouthfeel is medium weight but smooth. Drinkability is on queue with this one. A very sessionable brew.

abrand, Feb 23, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

On-tap at Aroma's in Athens, GA.

Pours a clear amber-copper color with a two-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of loads of hops - pine and herbal mostly with hints of tropical fruits - with a hint of rye spiciness that intensifies as the beer warms.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Robust pale malt flavors with a hint of breadiness kick things off and are joined very quickly by huge amounts of hops. As with the smell herbal and pine flavors mostly but there are a bit more grapefruit and tropical fruit flavors than were intimated by the aroma. Mild amounts of rye flavors join in midway through the sip and carry through to a mildly bitter ending. The rye flavors linger on the palate after the sip.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could very easily have a few more.

Overall this wasn't quite as good as I remembered, perhaps because the bottles I had were gushers and by the time the head settled in my glass it was absurdly smooth. Still, this remains one of my favorite beers and is well worth a shot.

glid02, Feb 22, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic. After buying a sixer of these, I noticed the born-on date was back in July, so this is not the freshest example, but let's see how it goes.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful copper amber color that is obstinately hazy and impossible to see through. It has a smaller, two-finger head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: There's a wonderful scent of full, juicy hops that greet you right up front followed by a heavy dosage of sweet, syrupy malts. I'm having some trouble picking up the rye with all the hops involved with the nose, but there's really no room to complain about to that, as this is a very nice smelling beer.

Taste: The taste is hop-dominant as the smell would have indicated, but given the age of this bottle, they taste a little faded to me. I can imagine, though, how nice a fresher version of this could be. The sweet malts are again there in the background to counteract the fruity hops, as well as some grains and a touch of rye. It finishes with a nice grassy bitterness that leaves your palate dry.

Mouthfeel: This is a nice medium-bodied beer with a higher amount of carbonation to make it pretty smooth and drinkable.

Drinkability: I'm glad I picked up a sixer of these, because this makes a nice session beer, especially taking into account the fact that it weighs in at 6.8% ABV. It's got the right amount of carbonation, body and taste to make for a beer that you could gladly imbibe a few of.

Overall, this is a very nice beer and my favorite rye beer to date, although it's very hard to pick out a whole lot of the rye because of the dominating hops. I look forward to getting my hands on a fresher bottle because this is a very tasty and very drinkable beer that would be great for lounging around in the late summer or fall. I'm not going to complain about drinking it under all this snow right now, though, because this is a very good brew from a brewery that never disappoints.

zoso493, Feb 21, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A stunning beer. Beautiful pour, rich red-amber color. Smell of honey/vanilla/pine. The flavor is exceptionally good: rich, rewarding, balanced - a real knockout. The peppery punch of the rye is offset wonderfully by the IPA hop kick. Flavors of honey and dry, clean hops are dominant, but not overbearing. This brew is your master, but it is kind and benevolent. Washes down like silk and the aftertaste really blooms the flavors nicely. Hops are very pronounced, but not straight pine or citrus, something else that is much better. Founders wins again.

MNJR, Feb 20, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked up a single 12 oz. bottle of this to give it a try. Have loved everything I've had from Founder's so far.

Poured it into a standard pint glass. A good amount of thick head. I Let the beer sit while I ironed a shirt, when I came back to it, there was still some head left with a good amount of thick lacing. The smell is strong of rye but at the same time crisp and almost citrusy. The taste is exactly what I expected. It's an IPA with a good malt backbone, but with a powerful rye taste to it. Didn't know if these two flavors would blend well, but the taste is exceptional. I get a bit of caramel in the taste too, a lot of complexity. The mouthfeel it thick with a bit of sediment that you can sense. Substantial but smooth. I could only see me drinking a couple of these because they are thick and filling.

pdoran10, Feb 20, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -32.5%

I must be missing something on this beer. It was my first rye beer so maybe that could explain it. I need to give this beer another try at some point. It looked very good, but the taste didn't do much for me. I found it to be much more bitter than I was expecting. I didn't find the smell of this beer to be to appetizing either. I'm way off all the other ratings, so I will need to try this again.

Cubsfan1087, Feb 19, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -11%

Thanks for the opportunity cmurren25.

Poured into a tulip. A nice ruby copper color with a frothy head that falls slowly. Nice sheeting lace.
Aroma is bready, spicy, earthy with a bit of citrus in the back. I'm not getting the kick of Amarillo I expected. Taste follows, with a nice bitter kick at the end.
Not as dry as I would like. It sticks around a little in the mouth.

goatgoat, Feb 18, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

2/17/10

Founders
Red Rye P.A.
ABV 6.6%
IBU 70

L= 4.5 Deep blood orange with a 2 finger off-white, sustaining, creamy, frothy head with good lacing

S= 4.5 Big citrus, Pineapple, and light hints of rye

T= 4.0 upfront tart sweetness the citrus bite then dissipates to light rye. Light on the cream with a bit of ester in the middle of the profile. Really tasty

F= 4.0 Lingering Tart bitterness with a hint of fruit that leads to a dry crisp finish.

D= 4.0 Great beer from founders. They make some amazing world class brews. I don't know if I'd call this one world class but it's an amazing beer and world class in it's own style. Great job founders.

tippebrewcrew2, Feb 17, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Drank on: 2/12/10

70 IBU's 6.6% ABV
12 oz. in pint glass

A= Beautiful 1/4" off-white head covering a slightly hazy copper-red colored brew. Continuous streams of CO2 bubbles. Nice lacey halo around rim.

S= Wonderful Grainy (granola) aroma, with a nice shot of piney citrus hops. Slight hint of sweetness on the nose.

T= Rye malt is definitely present and hints of toasted malt make it through the pine and citrus hop flavors. Great hop kick.

MF= Good weight in your mouth which leaves a nice coating on your tongue. Good sustained bitterness from those wonderful hops.

D= Great, leaves a nice aftertaste which brings you back agian and agian.

Overall, another delicious offering from Founder's. Love that bit of rye flavor and good hoppy bite.

evansrdbrew, Feb 16, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -5%

More Founder's from Julio's. Haven't had a beer yet from this brewery that was anything less than great.

Aggressively poured into my Sam Adams Boston Lager glass, got a half inch of head that dissipated quickly.

Smells like hops first, then rye and a bit of medium caramel malt. Beautiful nose. I'd go crazy if I smelled this but couldn't drink it. Luckily...

A lot of bitterness from start to finish. There's a rye bite in there, but it doesn't register as much as all the hops around it. Some toasty malts, too. I don't love it as much as another popular hoppy rye beer, but I could see myself making a night of drinking these.

A little sweetness cuts through all that bitterness, and the rye gives it a good, smooth body so it goes down easy.

This is a good beer. I don't love it, but I had a craving for rye and it hit the spot.

TonyReaves, Feb 13, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

a: a very red amber with a few bubbles on top

s: pungeant sweet syrupy hops; some bitter floral hops; very fragrant with som elight sweet malts in the background

t: first taste is a light hint of sweet bread followed by tons of appley and fruity hops and finishing off with some lingering bitter herby hops

m: syrupy and thick; very light carb

d: a very good beer; absolutely worth a try; very sweet and very falvorful

hoegaardenhero, Feb 12, 2010