Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +6%

12 oz. bottle.

A: Orange amber body, off white head receding to patchy foam. Nice sip rings. Nice lacing.

S: Grapefruit, Carmel and Rye. Unmistakably Rye.

T: Comes on with a ferocious, bitter, hop presence, then a sweet, caramel middle and a glorious, drying, rye finish.

M: Medium-bodied. Prickly from the grapefruit, and a serious drying effect at the end.

D: At 6.6ABV this is sessiable, but I was satisfied after two. The balance of bitter and sweet make it an instant favorite of mine.

I think Founders sometimes tries too hard with their gigantic, ambitious offerings, but this one is spot on. This is a fantastic beer that is reasonably priced to boot!

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Hazy copper color with a rich off white head. Lots of rye right off the bat. Floral hops and then some citrus. The rye was also the first taste on the palette. Lots of hops, again more floral than pine, and the citrus is just a hint. To me, this is definitely better than Hop Rod Rye. Then again, Hop Rod is considered an IPA and has less rye. This is superb, I could see this as a regular if it were more readily available. Oddly enough, I've rated a couple other offerings from Founders higher, but if I had to pick one of their beers to sit and drink all night this would be the one.

4.85/5  rDev +16%

A- Appearance poured a nice amber with a full white head that fell quickly leaving lacing down the glass.

S- Amarillo hops citrus

T- Wonderful balance of hops and belgian malt exceptional taste

M- Smooth and crisp very clean finish of hops and citrus.

D- Could have more than one or two of these.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Orange/amber with a sudsy, white head.

S- Citrus and piney hops with some caramel malt and spicy notes from the rye.

T- Nice malt base with the spice from the rye coming in and then blending well into citrus and pine hops.

M- Medium body that seemed a touch too thin, nice carbonation.

D- Really a nice rye beer; try it if you can.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of tan head. It is copper in color and clear. The rye was evident immediately in the aroma. In the background were some citrus and pine aromas. It tastes exactly like it smells. There are no surprises. The pine taste lingers a bit. This is my first rye beer so I was not disappointed in the taste. It has a nice hop presence without being overwhelming.

Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a Beautiful crimson red with a creamy tan head. Nicely balanced with its hop bitterness and floral bouquet achieved from the dry hop. In the finish, the generous amount of malted rye used gives it a spicy crisp finish. This is better a little warmer, flavor bursts when around 46 deg. It's not a cloying rye, and the body is lighter than I though it would be...and not in a bad way. Drinkable, maybe not quite a session beer but I think I'll have another.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

The appearance is of a light amber to almost sunset orange.Very nice carbonation. A pale ale that has a clean roasted malt bouquet with candied citrus aromas.This beer definitely has the rye and raosted barley flavors. Not a typical pale ale but a wonderful different example of a great Founders brew. The mouthfeel is quite full and long lasting. I found this beer is a nice complement with food , like anything grilled. Overall it is a fun beer to drink and to enjoy over a relaxing evening.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Served in a nonic pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a nice clear cherry wood color with a ½" off white head that recedes fairly soon to a ring around the glass and patches of foam. Sipping leaves lots of fine speckled lacing and the lacing continues for most of the beer. In addition there are rings and sheets of foam clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell: The aroma contains some nice pine resin and grapefruit hops but the stand out is the spicy rye along with some nice rich caramel malt.

Taste: The flavor is as expected from the aroma. There is grapefuit and pine and spicy rye all inter-twingled. Throughout the malt sweetness remains in the background but is clearly present and adds a balancing caramel sweetness to the mix.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium-bodied and silky smooth with the light persistent carbonation that makes itself known as a gentle prickling sensation on the tongue. The finish is fairly long, and begins pine and caramel malt that soon fades away as the spiciness of the rye blends with the grapefruit bitterness to trail off into a dry finish.

Drinkability: I liked this in bottle but like it even more on draft. This is definitely a drinkable beer and I could easily have ordered 2 or 3 more. This one stays on my shopping list and I'll be having more next time I find it on draft.

From the 12oz bottle into a standard US pint glass

A--copper and hazy. think alabama clay. just slighly off-white head. good retention, pretty sticky. spot on head for an IPA.

S--good citrus and dirty hops out front, but as the beer warmed there were some grainy-rye smells that i would have expected from this type of beer. good stuff.

T--great malts and rye grain. a little metallic, but nothing outside the style for me. hops were sharp, bitter and somewhat floral on the palate. not as much earth as the nose made me think would show.

M--pretty crisp given how prevalent the hops are, just a touch oily and finishes quick

D-- very

Overall -- very pleased with this beer, didnt blow me away, but i dont think it was supposed to. just a really good take on some classic flavors. not too challenging, and exciting to try.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Translucent copper colored ale with a thick off-white head that sticks to the glass nicely.

Nose is full of spicy, citrusy hops. Grapefruit comes to mind as well as lemon rind.

Bold hop character in the taste just like in the smell. Grapefruit flavor is strongly pronounced providing bitterness while the malt provide a mellowing backbone. The rye comes through in the end and the brew finishes dry.

Medium-bodied ale with a mildly bubbly fizz. Alcohol warms as it goes down.

Yet another great offering from Founders. Very complex and bold flavor. Truly a treat for the palate and sure to alleviate any hop craving.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Hazy and quite red; there is a minimal head with fairly quick dissipation; the lacing is good though

S: The aromas are citrusy/hoppy/grapefruit, but overwhelmingly the grapefruit shines through; there is something here that reminds me of a new toy--plasticy and fresh--this sounds bad, but actually I love it balanced with the grapefruit hops aroma

T: Hoppy up front, but the citrus and grapefruit flavors persist to create a balance on the back end of the tongue; there is a small malt presence that also comes out in the back side of the mouth; of course the rye flavors are also here and they are complemented by the previous mentioned flavors

F: A bit carbonated up front and the beer seems to dissipate fairly quickly but most of the flavors, luckily, stay on the tongue

D: While fairly hoppy and a little strong this beer is quite drinkable; actually kind of nice summer session beer.

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

A- It's obvious that this beer is made with lots of adjunct grains. The head on my beer is huge, I thought that it might just be some shook up bottles but every one has been the same. Huge four finger head that lasts forever. The lacing on the beer is beautiful, I can hardly see through it. Coloer is dark red to dark orange.

S- Faint hop spice in the background. I've never really been a master of identifiying rye, I can't really smell it here. But I do smell some slight toastyness.

T- Ok the rye tastes more obvious, it reminds me of molasses or brown sugar. This beer is sweeter than I would like it.

M- Carbonation is needed, the sweetness leads to a slick and sticky mouth but the carbonation smooths things out a bit.

D- Very drinkable, it is simply a smooth, good tasting beer. It's not going to pound your palete nor will it knock your socks off with amazing flavors. What it will do is deliver a solid all around beer that won't let you don't in any category.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes 9-1-09

Eye: All in all you really can't ask for more from this one in terms of appearance. Aptly named this one is red in color with orange and yellow hues. A bit hazy with moderatly acitve carbonation. Head is just off white and is creamy with nice retention and size, about a finger's width. Nice lacing too, sheets with rings where the beer comes to rest between sips.

Nose: That familiar aroma of citrusy grapefruit comes through quite upfront in this one. Behind that there is some graininess. Not the same as what I'd usually describe as grainy though. Some general spiciness too. I think that these two in combination is actually the rye. Just different overall, I mean that caramel aroma is there, that is easy, but the rest of it is unfamiliar...gotta be the rye. All in all real nice.

Tongue: Very clean overall with some dry character. These are characteristics of the rye I'm thinking. Hop bitterness is there, countering the sweet malty charcter of this brew. Spiciness from rye adds depth. Bitterness lingers, pretty characteristic for an APA. All in all a great brew.

Feel and Drinkability: Creamy mouthfeel, carbonation is in check and it just goes down smooth. This one is easy to drink and I can see myself going after another sixer of this easily and in the near future. Body is medium-light helped by carbonation which gives it a lighter feel than what it actually has. Finishes clean and semi-dry. Bitterness lingers. Rye character lingers at the end too, hard to say what its like, but I know that it is different than any kind of flavor you get from barley. Very nice all in all.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a deep, dark, hazy ruby red with a nice tan head. Smells like a sweet IPA: caramel covered apples and a candy tartness. Taste is well-balanced between a green apple bitterness, candy tanginess, and caramel sweetness. There's also a woody element that I find enjoyable. This is a very big and bold beer and I dig it, big time.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: I agree with the friend I shared this bottle with when he says "That is one red looking beer".

Smell: Mostly hops on the nose.

Taste: Hops and rye. Like the ideal combination of an IPA and a red ale. Not as hoppy tasting as the 71 IBUs listed on the bottle might suggest.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, biggest asset of the beer. This is an impressive achievement given the flavors involved.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable for an amber ale.

This was my first rye beer. To me, it had some of the best elements of amber ales and low-bitterness IPAs, neither of which are favorite styles of mine. That said, I would definitely drink this again. Next time I want something hoppy and/or red, I'll think of this.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Dark amber color with thick and frothy beige head. Some visible prickle bubbles some of which are moving. The nose is a little heavy, sweet and floral. At first I thought of describing it as muted, but that isn't correct. It comes through clearly, but is heavy and "hangs low" if that makes any sense. Good balance. Nice malt presence and pleasantly hoppy. The hops must be chinook as its very similar to the "Rye PA" I had at Great Waters in Saint Paul and the chinook hops was the "unique" quality I am almost certain of it. The mouthfeel is a little thicker than many ales. The sweet presence of the chinook (if I am indeed correct) works well to enhance the malt flavor. Deinitely a hoppy beer, but not just for hoppy beer drinkers.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Medium orange-amber with a small, slightly off-white head the diminishes rather quickly to a thin film. Beautiful pine and citrus hops aroma. A lightly caramel a dn grainy backbone barely making its presence known. Tastewise, wow this is good. Huge hops right off the bat like the nose. Lots of citrus and some pine. A little spicy as the caramel starts to show. A mouth-watering finish that turns floral as it slowly fades. It has a medium body, dry texture, moderate carbonation, and a light hoppy-spicy sting to it. This a very enjoyable beer. Big hops presence without being a big beer. Every sip leaves me wanting more. Definitely worth trying!

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

This fine brew pours a nice clear reddish-orange color that is topped with inch of cream colored foam that seems to have some pretty good head retention.

Spicy notes from the rye are detected in the aroma, as well as floral hops and subtle malty sweetness.

The rye and the hops work together nicely creating a spicy hop flavor that is somewhat addicting. The malt is somewhat noticable, but is definitely in the background here.

Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation.

I could definitely sip on a sixer of these no problem.

Morey's Bottom Line: This beer is right up there with Nosferatu as far as my favorite red ales are concerned. One of the best.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a pint glass. The first thing I noticed was the massive head and heavy carbonation. The beer poured a brownish/reddish amber with the aforementioned foamy head.

Smells of piney hops and carmelized malts. I know everyone talks about how hoppy this beer is, but for me the malts were much more present.

Taste the malts throughout, very smooth. Overall the rye makes this a very drinkable beer, I could see having a few very easily.

Not my favorite Founders, but definitely makes me want to try other ryes.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is cloudy reddish orange, with a light tan one-finger head. Unfiltered as I could see little bits floating around. The head has good retention.

Smell is somewhat spicy and definitely malty, almost like bread. There is also a nice citrus aroma. Pretty well balanced.

Taste is very similar to the nose, with plenty of spicy rye and citrus sweetness up front. The finish seams to have a grapefruit bitterness to it.

Mouthfeel is very good and refreshing. Goes down smooth with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. The bitterness is not overpowering and quite enjoyable. I could see this as a possible session beer and I plan to get some more.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: A distinct pure amber color, not quite clear, a nice haze to it, off-white head

S: Smells like cutting into a fresh grapefruit, nice and pungent, although maybe faulted for being too one dimensional

T: Again grapefruit hops dominate, some breadiness makes a really nice counterbalance, has all the bitey hop flavor that I wanted, but doesn't leave my mouth with a lingering bitterness

M: Great feel, so refreshing, the high amount of rye in the brew makes it really smooth

D: Also really good, a nice hoppy beer that I can consume a lot of

Notes: I'm not a huge fan of highly hopped beers, but they have been growing on me. This is exactly what I wanted. A very hoppy beer with good bready balance and awesome feel.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Like a couple of other reviews mention, slight difference in nomenclature, brewing specs, and taste indicate that this is a different brew from the regular Red's Rye

A - Pours an clear orangey copper color with a nice finger of slightly off-white head that lasts alright, but minimal lacing

S - Pretty aggressive hop presence that's very grapefruity, dank, and slightly piny; firm rye and maltiness rounds it out

T - Nicely pungent grapefruit hoppiness; slight touch of caramel; rye shines very well against the hops; finishes dry and earthy

M - Medium to thinner MF with a nice but not overpowering carbonation level

D - Easy drinking here; moves into the session-brew category for me, even though the abv is up there a little

Overall, this tastes like a distinct brew from the 'regular' Red's Rye, but it is definitely nice in it's own way. I think I prefer the other one a little better.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a nice copper color. Real thin head that leaves nice blotchy chunks of lacing. The nose is floral with pine and grapefruit. A slight hint of caramel there too. Taste is of the nose. Nice bitter finish... not too big of a bite. Just the right amount.

Nice beer. I think this one is dominated by the pine... which I love!

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%

Received as a gift for my birthday from Matt, one of my beer reps. He knows I have a thing for rye beers

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Beer is a dark orange-rust with a big copper-flecked off white head. Large carbonation bubbles in head took a bit of time to dissipate, leaving some lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma is a big bouquet of sweet and spicy citrus. Reminds me of how much I love Amarillo hops.

Sweet peppery malt plays tug of war on the tongue with the citrusy hops.

Large carbonation bubbles are a bit coarse upfront and somewhat distracting, but as the beer warmed up, became a but softer. I'll bet this beer is pretty much perfect if served on cask.

Every sip invites another. If Founders was sold in NYS, this would definitely be one of the staples in my fridge.

4.74/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Amber/copper in color, with a big creamy head of off-white foam
Aroma-Wonderful bouquet of fresh, citrussy hops
Taste-Big juicy hops, big juicy citrus with rye spiciness nicely melded throughout.
Tasty and delicious-was an excellent match with fresh, homemade tacos.
Get Some!!!