Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
IBUnit63

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Deep crimson color. Thin yet staunch head with nice lacing.

Sweet malt/rye profile. A little caramel and maybe cinnamon? Hop bitterness provides a nice cold sensation on the nose.

A little sweet butterscotch in the first couple of sips, with a heavy alcohol presence for the style - almost a little barleywine-ish? A little bitter aftertaste. Opens up to reveal a good bitter hop profile with good rye backbone.

Coats the mouth nicely. As this opens up the balance improves well.

Overall, an easy-drinking sessionable effort. Very well done.

02-18-2008 12:52:37 | More by IBUnit63
trentley87

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A nice cloudy dark orange with yeast and sediment present. 2 fingers of long lasting, sticky, off-white head that left behind lots of lacing.

S: I smell citrusy hops first along with some sour rye smell and a hint of balancing malt sweetness.

T: Very tart citrus flavor predominates with some spicy rye flavors. Nice balance of sweetness in the finish with a good clean aftertaste.

M: Nice medium body without a lot of excess carbonation. Complements the flavors well.

D: I definitely noticed the alcohol content in this beer after I drank it but it is a very pleasant and well-balanced brew that I will be enjoying more often in the future.

02-13-2008 05:20:36 | More by trentley87
hustlesworth

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

I LOVE A WELL MADE RYE BEER.

A- dull reddish orange with a swamp water haze and little particles floating around. when held up to the light the color shines to a blazing red papaya flesh color. off white chunky gloopy head has superior retention and makes loads of sticky lace like hawaiian rock formations. it looks appealing, rich and extremely flavorful.

S- ahh the spicy sourness is what appeals most to me. it compliments the hops and transforms the flavor of the entire beer into something above spectacular. it's caramel and nutty, herbal and fruity, floral and earthy. such a complex aroma. i freakin love it. i guess a bit of barley is detectable along side the caramel and it just adds to the depth of this brew's aroma. citrus amarillo is the perfect dry hop to use here, i can't imagine anything better.

T- first sip is a burst of whole grain goodness and tangerine/lemon citrus with a good sour back-up from the rye. malty sweetness pushes through the fruity bitter defense and goes down at the 10 only to lose the ball and have it intercepted by the hops who take it all the way home! touchdown! toasted reubens with corned beef, a little cider vinegar tartness, dense resinous wood, fresh grains, tropical fruit, passionfruit, guava, and more citrus and rye sourness move into the finish. the sour drops out early leaving only a dry puckering lingering bitter that is just sublime.

MF- medium body and slightly over medium carbonation may give you a few burps but those damn things are almost as good as the beer itself. creamy and juicy at the same time, the generous hop bill feels like a solvent on the inside of my cheeks.

D- i am so unbelievably glad that i came across a six of this, it might be my new favorite beer in the world.

02-12-2008 00:41:15 | More by hustlesworth
srandycarter

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to trumick for this one.

A- Murky red, small head, persistent thin lacing.

S - Floral hops, some kind of wood, hinting to sweet and bitter .

T - Well balanced, firm hop finish, clean feel. Rye present in center but not overpowering.

M - Comfortable and pleasant mouth - nice carb, good coating, clean finish.

D - Could have a few more...

02-11-2008 04:19:35 | More by srandycarter
John_M

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

The last of a 6 pack broght back by a friend from Michigan. Sorry to see it go...

The beer pours a reddish amber color with fair head retention and lacing. The beer smells pretty sweet and malty, but with some nice underlying rye and hoppy citrus. Smells pretty good in fact. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, though the beer is decidedly on the hoppy side (which explains why I like the beer so much). The beer has a very nice bitter citrus bite to it, and comes across as crisp and clean. This beer is not the least bit heavy and is quite refreshing on the palate. It finishes very well, with a clean, light wash at the end. The beer is very drinkable with the abv. very well disguised (is it really 6.8% abv?).

Another solid beer from Founders. What a surprise. :-)

02-06-2008 14:56:38 | More by John_M
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz bottle served right out of the fridge and poured into a pint glass

A - Poured a very nice light brownish colored amber with a very nice clarity to it, allowing you to be able to see some nice chains of carbonation rippling up toward the service throughout the session. A very nice three finger high head of white colored foam appeared on the top of it and hung around for a good few minutes before settling down to a thin layer of perhaps a half and inch and leaving behind really tons of thick spider web like lace on the sides of the glass that gave it a thorough coating throughout the remainder of the session. Very nice overall look to it with a great slightly reddish hue overall.

S - The aroma was loaded down with hops, what a wonderful thing to pick up upon on the initial smell. There was definitely a nice light malted base here; the rye ale aroma was prevalent giving it a somewhat grainy and spicy note to it and really quite a bit of depth to the profile. The big floral hop nose blended in very well with this, giving it a nice amount of orange and tangerine hints to it, merging with the earthy spiciness and really being quite sharp and crisp to the nose. I was really quite pleased with the aroma here, and to be honest the more I smelled it the hoppier it seemed to get, really coming off quite strong actually. I was really beginning to like the direction in which this one was headed and could not wait to get a taste of it.

T - The flavor was much better then I would have expected, and I knew this was a good one going into it. The hops profile was coming through wonderfully, really putting a big bitter floral taste in this one and that was easily the first thing that I picked up on. Big notes of orange and pine were mixing throughout, really creating a very nice and strong bitter opening. Layered on top of that was a very nice layer of spiciness, notable tastes of Rye, nutmeg, even cinnamon making a guest appearance were quite readily available here. The overall profile getting thick and more complex with each sip. Very nice balance here with some earthy grain like malts making up the foundation and really just letting everything else layer itself upon that. Really quite nice and complex with really no hint of harshness. The finish was very dry and bitter with the hops really breaking out of their mold here. Drawing out that last drop of moisture from you before letting go and leaving you with this nice spice like taste to finish it off.

M - Very smooth one here. The carbonation profile was outstanding, never getting dull or flat at all, rather it was really coming across quite well and giving it that little bit of an extra bit of punch toward the end. There was a very nice crispness to it, especially in the finish that really gave it that little bit of lightness in an otherwise medium bodied ale.

D - An absolutely outstanding session ale I really could not get enough of this. It had enough of the complex malty profile to really peak your interest but at the same time was loaded own with a bitter hop twist that was utterly fantastic and really made all the difference. Not sure what the ABV here is but there is no hint of alcohol in it whatsoever and the carbonation was outstanding, offering up some really nice refreshing characteristics. I am really not sure what could be bad about this one in this area; this was easily something I could have for dinner every night.

Overall I was literally blown away by this one. I was not quite sure how good it was going to be, as I have loved almost every Rye beer I have tried, but this was by far the best. It just had that great hop profile and the spicy notes that really but it in a class above the rest., I would love to get as much of this as I could and have one every night. A fantastic beer.

02-06-2008 11:27:08 | More by mikesgroove
emerge077

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours into a rinsed Kentucky Tavern pub glass calmly enough for the first 3 seconds, then explodes upwards and out with foam. Probably lost a third of the bottle as it foamed over again on the second, very gentle pour. A puffy whipped meringue consistency on the surface, with sudsy bubbles building up underneath. Some unfiltered specks dot the foam also. Reminds me of root-beer float disasters as a kid.

Color is a dense, tawny orange-red, heavy with suspended particles. Crazy lacing, and weird deflated tentacles of foam floating on the surface.

Floral hop notes with a strong underlying spicy aromatics.

Rich flavor, reminds me of an ESB or Scotch ale with plenty of hops. Tea-like with a heavier body, light smoky notes, and dry herbal bitterness to a mellow degree. Big rye with alot of unique flavor. Not sure if I could have more than 2 pints, but it's a damn fine Rye beer.

$1.90 single from Archer in Chicago.

02-06-2008 02:05:12 | More by emerge077
letsgopens

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This fantastic Rye pours a light brown amber with a frothy tan head that exhibits some large soapy bubbles but still manages to hold well and leave a solid ring of lace. The color is oddly attractive and I'm not quite sure how to describe it exactly.

Spicy, bright malt and excellent hops. Crisp citrus and pine along with a nutty, toasty caramel. The hops shine through but allow for plenty of the malt character to thrive in the nose as well. Balanced and very well pronounced in the nose. Tremendously appetizing.

Sweet and spicy with even more tasty hops. Vanilla mingles with the citrusy/piney hop character. The flavor then fades to a mellower note of nutty caramel malt. Deep and somewhat earthy. Light molasses and good fruit. Hearty grain really shines through in the later stages. Excellently crafted and again very well balanced.

Bright and crisp initially and medium bodied throughout. A juicy, mildly bready finish as well. Moderate carbonation. I can't stress enough the drinkability of this brew. With its well balanced but extremely flavorful nature, I have no doubt I could put these back all night and never tire of it. Don't expect your run-of-the-mill Rye Beer. This one is a gem.

01-28-2008 16:42:41 | More by letsgopens
PEBKAC

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

Yet another big thank you to Leftmindedrighty. You never know what you got till you pop the cap & get brushed back by what you assumed was a mild-mannered beer.

First thing noticed, floaties! Brown spotting coming through the quarter-inch tapioca-colored head. I couldn't see past the fog, but it was as brown as a well greased leather baseball mitt. Not entirely sexy, but just like mixing any leftovers you can find into your 3am omelet, you know it'll at least taste interesting.

I'll say this, it smells sandy. Like a dusty graham cracker. Like it's been crumpled up & spread across something wet, like another one of your messed up Jello experiments. You fiend. You can't tell what kind of Jello it is, but you figure it has to be peach or one of those other funny sparking flavors, because it's a little sharp. The bitterness smells intense, like pungent grass clippings.

Taste is all hops & twigs & bark up front, along with a little sweet-n-sour thing playing along. After it splashes down, it goes straight to the bakery with some dusty crust & a cornmeal-like sweetness. I coughed a little.

A little thicker then I had expected. Almost hearty, with the carbonation giving it almost a gritty feeling. A little slick, like greasy, cold chicken soup. Don't choke on a noodle. :P

01-27-2008 06:13:36 | More by PEBKAC
DomErie

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

I had the opportunity to enjoy this beer on tap at Slow's Barbecue in Detroit after attending the auto show. My friends and I were eager to try this beer after reading the positive review in BeerAdvocate magazine. All I can say is WOW!

It poured a beautiful reddish copper with a decent head. It's unfiltered, which in my book is a good thing, indicative of a beer that's hand-crafted, but not overly so. Lacing was evident on the glass.

The aroma was, indeed, redolent of citrus and pineapple with a subtle sweetness. Mouthfeel was extremely smooth, reminding me of the softness of the cask (as others have mentioned). I can't say that I could identify the taste of the rye but it was hoppy enough that it could have been mistaken for a double IPA.

As to drinkability, I can only point to the fact that the three of us had a total 10 glasses of Red's Rye with our meals. Slow's has a great selection of fine craft beers but we stuck with the Red's for the whole session. Why mess with success?

If I could find a sixtel of this within 100 miles of PA, I would go out and buy a kegerator. It's that good.

01-21-2008 22:21:31 | More by DomErie
boogles

Kansas

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Impresive. Poured from bottle into oversized wine glass (only had one; didn't want to miss anything). I was immediately struck by the beauty of this transluscent, heady winner. Good retention, lacing, beautiful reddish-amber color. It gets better.

The scent is absolutely amazing, although I am partial to well-crafted, hoppy ryes. It's hoppy and fruity--not just orange/grapefruit ... peach, blueberry, apricot, and clementine show through; sweet (but not sticky sweet, just pleasant sweetness). And then, there are the rye characteristics. I don't know if I've ever smelled anything so heavenly. Wait, do I smell myrrh?! No burial, here, although there's something in the nose I don't, too, but I mean that in a good way. I've never spent so much time nosing a beer. I bet heaven smells like this ... I promise to be good, forever.

I had trouble tasting all of the bouquet, but that's typical, in my experience, of complex, red ryes. Nothing to complain about. Sweet but dry.

I love the dryness and body, and, as with the nose, this is the paragon of drinkability. Added to the top of my list of favorite beers--although imperfect, this may be my favorite beer ever. I did not expect this; RIS, IPA and 2X IPA are my favorites. It's so good, I can't drink another beer or eat or brush my teeth. All I can think about is how incredible this beer is.

I sure hope I can find a place around Columbus that sells these in sixes. If not, the seven hour drive to Grand Rapids suddenly seem justifiable. How long do growlers last, again?

01-21-2008 06:57:39 | More by boogles
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

johnnnniee hooked me up with one of these. thanks john!

12oz stubby bottle. sampled jan 20/08.

pours hazy deep red with a huge fluffy cream coloured head. the head drops very slowly and leaves tons of clumpy lace behind.

aroma is great. grapefruit. tangerine. orange. bit of apricot. touch of pine. light alcohol. nice bready malt. good caramel sweetness.

taste is good. medium bitterness level. grapefruit. bit of pine. slightly powdery bitterness. lightly toasted wheat bread. definitely a bit of a spicy edge to it from the rye. nice light citrus sweetness - orange zest, tangerine, bit of apricot. light caramel.

mouthfeel is good. just over medium carbonation level, which feels a touch on the high side, but not quite unpleasantly so. medium body.

drinkability is great. this beer has a nice balance, with the alcohol almost completely hidden between the nice mix of citrus sweetness, malt, and grapefruit bitterness. then there's the light rye spicyness rounding things out and keeping it interesting. good stuff.

01-21-2008 03:55:05 | More by grub
OWSLEY069

Pours a orange-ish/ copper color with a reddish hue, with a small off white head. In the aroma, dry rye-ish grapefruit. In the taste, a small grapefruit presence with a dry rye maltiness. A smooth and light mouthfeel with a dry grapefruity ryeness in the aftertaste. Dry rye and a grapefruitiness mix, best red I think I have ever had.

01-18-2008 17:43:35 | More by OWSLEY069
gottajiboo2

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured into a pint glass, a cloudy reddish amber liquid appeared, with a 1/4 inch of white foam.

Smell was very floral, almost like a bouquet of wild flowers on my grandmothers kitchen, of summers long ago. I swirled it around in the glass and to my surprise the smell was completely different than what I had first thought. I was at the beach and catching a whiff of a briny salt water pool.

Fortunately the taste was much better than a pool of briny salt water! It was a deliciously bitter and yet well balanced beer. A very good hoppy amber beer I'd say. Maybe my taste buds aren't as sharp as some, but I really didn't get much rye taste out of this beer.

Mouth feel was smooth and a bit dry. Not overly carbonated. Very drinkable beer. Hoped for more Rye flavor though.

cheers.

01-16-2008 01:51:25 | More by gottajiboo2
younger35

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Received a bottle of this from TheodorHerzl in a recent trade. Love Founders, love Rye’s, gotta love this right? Drank from my brand new Dogfish Head pint glass while watching Lost.

Appearance- Pours a nice hazy copper orange with a huge three finger cream head (got this brew yesterday, probably should have let it rest a couple more days… oops!). Once the head manages to die down it leaves a mountainous cap with crazy sticky lacing.
Smell- Boldly hoppy with lots of spicy grapefruit and orange. Plenty of caramel malt and something resembling bubblegum to go along with the hops. Clean and unique.
Taste- Starts with loads of rich toffee and gently sweet brown sugar. Nice spicy rye is definitely present although slightly subdued from the crisp hop bitterness. Loads of floral and citrus hops reminiscent of grapefruit, candied orange, ginger and bubble gum. Very earthy and nice with a gently sweet and very satisfying aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- Very thick, full body with a smooth cask like feel (although it might be from not letting it settle).
Drinkability- This beer absolutely rocks. I assumed it would be good but I never thought it would be this good. It’s terrifically balanced (maybe leaning a hair toward the hoppy side, but not by much). Awesome brew and a huge thanks to Matt!

01-11-2008 04:53:23 | More by younger35
DoubleJ

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Californians like me don't get the opportunity to see Founders sold in our stores, but I purchased a bottle of their Red Rye at Charles Street Liquor (Boston) on Christmas Eve. It made a good last-minute gift, but how does it taste? Let's find out, on to the beer:

From the short stubby bottle and into a stange in goes, the beer rests in my glass a cloudy red color, a few shades from being orange. The aroma is very pleasant, kind of a mix of a pale ale and red ale. It teases the nose with gooey caramel and cookie. Add some chocolate and it would be Twix! Hops are mild and brings a juicy tropical flavor. Okay, enough teasing, I want to taste it now...

Folks, we have a winning taste! It starts sweet and hoppy before the rye kicks in. Tastes very similar to the smell I described. There's a party going on in my mouth! It's so damn smooth and tasty that I wish I could have regular access to this gem. It's heavy enough to please big palates, yet seems light enough to have everyday. The end is quite dry, meaning you can start the whole cycle sooner.

The experience is over, but the impression lives on. The only other helpful information I have on this beer is to get a bottle as soon as you see one.

01-06-2008 05:09:50 | More by DoubleJ
BeaBeerWife

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

2007 bottle. Sticks nicely to the glass! Also nice top and nice slightly cloudy red body. Amarillo hoppy finish is a real nice compliment to the maltish grapefruit aroma. I've had this on draught too, but it's been awhile. Need to get a growler of it next time I visit! This is one smoooth rye!

01-05-2008 22:57:59 | More by BeaBeerWife
jdoncbus

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a nice brown-ruby color with active carbonation, small head, and solid lacing.

Sour rye and caramel malts on the nose. Can make out some faint, hop sweetness.

Initial taste is a grassy, sour malt that finishes with bittersweet rye. The mouthfeel and taste certainly start off with the mellow malt but then come to a noisey conclusion with a rye blast. Your palate is left somewhat dry and sour; very nice.

Founder's has to be one of my favorites. For some reason I have never picked up this offering and glad I did this time around (need an IPA break). Don't be like me - if you see it - drink it immediately.

01-04-2008 23:36:52 | More by jdoncbus
lightindarkness

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A - 12 oz bottle poured a dense, cloudy copper. Creamy head simmers down to bubbly lace.

N - Up front malt. Sweet hints of mandarin orange and toffee, balanced with citrus and something musty - not bad, just as if this bottle has been waiting for me.

T - Flavor begins with lightly roasted grains, and a good dose of malts, filled with clean strong hop taste. Sits soft and smooth on the palate, with the spicy grain of the rye mixing with hoppy pineapple and slight bitterness that almost washes away and is replaced by a well balanced aftertaste of herbs, malt, hops and rye.

M - Well bodied, yet smooth and clean. A little chewy with a thickness that lingers. Does not feel heavy.

D - A new favorite beer. Extremely well balanced in taste. Very appealing nose. Goes down so smooth and delicious.

01-04-2008 20:50:41 | More by lightindarkness
RblWthACoz

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a nice very slightly fogged amber with ruby hints when held to light. Minimal tan head does not stay long at all. Nose is nice and fruity with a decent amount of sugar/candy in the mix as well. Flavor is pretty robust. I guess the rye really comes into effect here and gives a fairly bodied experience. Seems like the profile is mostly of wood. Nice and hearty really. Feel is good on the liquid and the carbonation is fairly full. Smooth and drinkable, but slightly more of a sipper than one to pound down.

01-01-2008 03:25:27 | More by RblWthACoz
LittleBreeze

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Aroma is caramel, malt, citrus hops and a little spice.

There is a slight sweetness. For me the aroma and the taste didn't match but complimented each other.
Good mouthfeel. Rye favor is there, but is understated. Hops bitterness on the finish is almost to much for me.

Drinkablity is good.

This was a good beer experience.

12-30-2007 20:19:38 | More by LittleBreeze
kajerm

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap at the brewpub. One of only four beers on the chalkboard-- where'd all the beer go?

The beer pours amber and slightly cloudy. The head is about a finger and change, creamy, and slightly yellow (I think this is a rye thing); as it dies down it leaves thick tracks of lace.

The smell is a mixture of crisp, citric American hops and spicy, peppery rye, with a background of caramel malts.

The flavor is similar, opening with big rye flavors. Grapefruit hop flavors come in just a little later, with malts appearing mid-palate. The blend of flavors is great, which is good considering the finish is at least an hour long.

The mouthfeel is pretty meaty for 7%; this is probably a combination of the malts and rye. Drinkability is awesome, this would be easy to pound.

Can't believe I never got around to having this before.

12-20-2007 02:33:43 | More by kajerm
TheBierBand

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from the 12 oz stubby twist-off brown bottle (freshness notch on label indicated that it was bottled in October 2007) into a pint glass. I produced a 1-1/4" head of creamy beige foam. The foam leaves pronounced lacing down the side of the glass. The beer is an orange/amber... not quite clear.

The nose is of citrusy hops and some musty/basement aroma (not a bad thing...)

The taste: hoppy (grapefruit rind), woodsy (pine bark), musty. There's the rye! Lingering rye bread aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected... but still robust. Perhaps just a touch too high on carbonation for my taste.... but still good.

Drinkability: Good, solid robust ale. Another ROCK SOLID offering from Founders!

12-11-2007 18:29:31 | More by TheBierBand
HardTarget

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottle Inspection: Nice art, but no real info. Twisty brown 12 oz.

Aroma: Great sweet/hoppy combo going. Sweet has some crystal malt to it, the hoppy is all citric and west coast.

Appearance: Hazy red glass holds a thin cover of light tan with multisized bubbles that give up tidemarks of soapy lace.

Flavor: Balanced taste, some hop flavor without any real bitterness, mild sweetness without any candy aspect, and a earthy/zingy rye element in the middle.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body triggers a bit of chew, oily texture lingers after the swallow.

Overall Impression: A well put together beer. Flavorful but not extreme, hoppy but not bitter, and the rye is pronounced, maybe close to the edge for some people, but I like some rye in my beer.
Thanks to Pegasus for the sample.

12-10-2007 04:14:30 | More by HardTarget
ffejherb

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz. bottle into Dogfish Head specialty pint glass on 12/9/07.

A - Poured a cloudy reddish brown with pretty small beige head. Small bubbles permeated the thick-looking body. Head mostly diminished and left minimal lacing around the glass, reminiscent of leopard spots, if you can imagine.

S - Grainy with a burnt buscuity malt aroma and some caramel sweetness is balanced by moderate herbal and earthy hops with some resin and smokey undertones. Slight alcohol tinge is also present. A hint of vanilla creeps out as the liquid warmed up.

T - Starts off with a good balance of malts and hops, but the hops win out in the end. Finishes with herbal hops and some resin. Burnt biscuity malt flavors come out a bit more as it warmed up, as well as some vanilla notes.

M - Medium body with a slick, oily texture and lightly fizzy carbonation. Finish was a bit metallic and bitter on the tongue.

D - Quite a hoppy red ale with lots of flavors and pretty complex hop profile. The rye presence is quite subtle. Good balance of malt and hops at the start, but hops linger for a bit longer, resulting in a moderately bitter finish.

12-10-2007 02:37:53 | More by ffejherb