Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz. bottled poured into a pint glass.

Pours a bright amber-tinted red with a smallish, foamy cream colored head. Not quite clear, but not exactly murky or cloudy either. Head diminishes quite quickly and leaves next to no film on the surface. But oh, that beautiful red color.

Nose is spicy (rye? hops?) with a solid dose of zingy citrus zest underneath. Piney hops round out the nose, not unlike a big IPA/DIPA. As I revisit the nose after drinking a bit there are some sweet bready notes that come through. Interesting.

Big spicy rye flavors on first sip, and still big and bold on subsequent sips. Relatively minor notes of pine and citrus hoppiness, but with a considerable dose of hop bitterness. Mildly bitter and short finish, with a small touch of funk.

Red's Rye is creamy on the palate, followed quickly by a cutting sharpness that works to accentuate the hop bitterness of this beer. Unfortunately, this leaves me without much desire to drink more.

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

For the longest time, I always strolled past this beer in the cooler at my local and went straight for the Centennial IPA. Now that I've had it, I can't get enough. On with the review!

Appearance- A beautiful ruby, with some orange hues. Thin white head which lingers right on the surface, leaving a nice lacing.

Aroma- Hops. A nice, crisp, hoppy scent reaches out to the nose.

Taste- The caramel malts are there, but very subtle. The hops dominate the palate, and the 68 IBUs are present. Awesome.

Mouthfeel- A little bite, with medium carbonation. Not too overwhelming.

Drinkability- I could definitely drink a sixer of this in an evening.

One of Founder's best.

Cheers

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a beautiful raspberry amber color with an effervescent, fat one finger head. Dissipates leaving a small amount of streaky lacing. Smells heavily of citrusy lively grapefruit and i can't really pick out anything else specific.
Tastes almost like sour caramel to me at first. Ample bitterness and a fruity grapefruit finish, round this brew out very well.
This brew is carbonated almost to perfection, but the super watery feel knocks points off. Drinkability is freaking awesome, middle of the road ABV and tasty ta boot. Solid offering.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

on tap at the stable.

a bit of an orange copper color, little haze, with a fantastic looking head. off-white and sticky, plenty of lace.

smells hop-bombed with some rye or dark wheat flowing through.

pungent hop flavors abound. a great pine and citrus moment on the palate with notes of rye. a hint of malt toward the back.

mouthfeel is creamy and smooth yet astringent from the hop addition. good drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

deep coppery reddish amber, almost clear. (lots of sediment to decant.) big, light tan head, fades back to meringue, and eventually a thin but constant, creamy layer. great lacing.

mildly hoppy aroma of citrus zest and fresh pine. caramel, apple esters and touch of acidity. metallic whiff.

taste: moderately resinous and piney hops with citrus note, giving moderate bitterness to balance the caramelized malt and fruity esters. touch of crisp acidity in the finish, with touch of phenols.

light to medium body, but with resins, astringency and acidity, strangely also making it thinner at times. carbonation is moderate, prickly upfront, with moments of creaminess.

just updating my scores a little. honestly though, i'm not sure i can detect the rye.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OLD REVIEW 08-19-2007

clear reddish-brown amber, with off-white head that sticks around and leaves behind some nice layers of lace down the side of my glass.

smells spicy and acidic. tastewise, it has a slight sour bite with hint of malt, but the bitterness is quite prominent. pretty unique, and matches well with a hot dog, mustard and kraut. ;)

A-4.0, S-3.5, T-4.0, M-3.5, D-4.0

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

A= deep redish orange color verging onto brown with a thin but thick head that's got a little retention and average lacing. Looks kinda pretty.
S= lots of hops. Been a while since I had a real hoppy beer and this makes my mouth water. Sort of grassy piney hops. A little citrus. I wanna say they are like centennials or something but I'm not great at picking hops out.
T= very smooth. This is my first dabble with a rye beer and I like it. It stays very mellow and let's the hops come forward but still keeps them in check a little. Doesn't feel harsh or overly hoppy at all. Nice flavor. Shows how something can be flavorful and mild at the same time if that makes sense.
M= very low carbonation and smooth feeling almost like water.
D= great. Like I said its my first dabble with the style and I'm diggin it.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz single purchased at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a nice caramel color with an absolute HUGE amount of head. It took me about 10 minutes to finally be able to get the entire bottle poured. The large fluffy tan head stuck all over the sides of the glass. Picture perfect beer.

S: Huge aroma that consists of caramel malts, rye, and a nice dose of hops. It smells as good as it looks. Is this a rye beer or an IPA?

T: Its not quite as bitter as I expected based on the aroma. The hops are really overwhelmed by the rye and other malts. A very tasty brew, but the flavor doesn't wow me like the appearance and the aroma.

M: A medium body brew with a good carbonation level. The rye tickles the tongue just a bit giving it some extra in mouth interest.

D: This beer packs a punch even though the ABV is not really high. Its just a big full flavored beer.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

My first Founder's beer, but definitely not my last.

A: Lovely amber color w/ brown and orange hues. Creamy white head sits atop and dwindles down to a dusting as I drink.

S: Did someone say "Amarillo" hops? This may be the most grapefruity beer I've ever smelled. Hops are the majority of the nose, but I do get a faint spicy breadiness from the rye. Maybe some fruitiness too.

T: More of that grapefruit hoppy flavor. This rounds out with a nice fruity element. The hops end a bit grassy, but are very nice. The malts are solid with some slight caramel sweetness and a hint of spiciness from the rye. I would have like a bit more maltiness. The hops are definitely the flavor mongerers in this beer.

M: Creamy but crisp. Bitter, but smooth. Body is just light enough to make this beer really drinkable.

D: This is an excellent beer. It was definitely worth the $8.99 for the sixer. It does an excellent job of showcasing the amarillo hop. Now that we have Founders in Minnesota, I'll be drinking this for quite a while.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a beautiful red. White head.

Piney/citrus smell. Very Furious-like.

Taste is crisp, bright, hops and pine/citrus. Excellent. Not thick at all. IPA instead of DIPA, and IPA instead of rye-beer for sure. Aftertaste is a little less dry, a little less bitter, a bit of spice, just enough sweetness to compliment everything going on. Mouthfeel a bit thicker than expected but not heavy, and the spicy sweetness, although subtle, lingers appropriately on the tongue.

Easy to drink. Very easy to drink.

I wonder how much Furious owes to Red's Rye. A deliberate similarity? Coincidence? I don't really care. Red's is really good.

Highly recommended. I will say this: Red's Rye, to my palate, falls off fast, so I only choose it if I know it's really fresh.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle to pint glass.

Slightly hazy red orange color. I love the color on this one. I don't know this Red character, but I like him already. A lively carbonation, and a decent tan head that just does not go away. Literally, the head lasted the entire drink, maybe 10 to 15 minutes. Impressive lacing as well.

The nose on this one is strong citrus fruits. I love it already. Grapefruits and a piney hop character hook you from the get go. There is also a caramel tone to it, as well as the rye.

Taste is everything I hope it would be. A Rye IPA. Hmm. If this were a style in itself, I would be a huge fan. I love the combination of the citrus grapefruit and the piney hop bitterness. No too much rye here, but thats ok. I think if rye were more prominent it would take away from the IPA base. I think this should be categorized as an IPA, rather than a Rye beer, but I'm still a huge fan.

Smooth and sharp, I like the carbonation bite it has. Very smooth and silky. I love the drinkability too. For a cheaper brew, this is an amazing deal. Boy am I glad Founders made it to Minnesota.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

Founders Red's Rye pours a dark copper with a thick three-finger head. Thick rings of lace are left on the glass.

The smell and taste are earthy, with a flowery smell followed by the taste of wood and grass. As it warms, there's a sweet caramel finish that complements a bitter and dry feel.

Founders Red's Rye is a beer's beer, with deep foamy good looks, and a flavor that balances sweet and bitter. The perfect start to Memorial Day weekend.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Clear orange-red with small head and some lacing. Love the color.

Smell: Very tart grapefruit with some spiciness and slight alcohol. Very noticeable smell.

Taste: Very interesting - tart, bitter and spicy, in that order. Definite grapefruit flavor with a bitter and pepper aftertaste. There is a subtle malt balance; the label says it is Belgian and I can see that. I expected a little more noticeable Rye spiciness, but this is one of the strangest, most fascinating beers I have had in awhile, and that definitely counts for something.

Feel: Nice smooth medium to full body with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: One of the most strangely alluring beers I have ever had. Wasn't sure I liked it at first, but now that I am finishing the glass, I am crushed.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance is quite good, very sticky and thick looking. A bit of head and no lacing.
Smell and taste are fairly similar, very complex malt character, caramel and biscuity. There is a firm blast of hops that accent the clove spices very well. Not as much of the rye as I was expecting.
Mouthfeel is oily and heavy.
Drinkability is very good for the style. Not myfavorite style but this was a good one.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz bottle (unknown date) poured in to a shaker pint glass.

Pours a hazy light brown with a thick off white head.

Piney hoppy sweet smell. Seems pretty simple but precise.

Taste is very hoppy, but not too bitter. Very nice. Much like it smells, but fuller. Slightly chalky.

Good mouthfeel and the crisp hoppiness makes it extremely drinkable.

One of the best of this style I have had.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

This poured a dark, clear copper with light tan head. It smelled fairly bland, like standard copper and pine hops with some caramel malt and a hint of rye. It tasted like strong bitter pine hops, with some copper hops and caramel malt, and a bit of rye spiciness. It was slightly thick with mild carbonation, and a lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall this was surprisingly a hop bomb without as much rye as expected. Nice flavor, albeit very bitter and not as unique as I hoped. Good body and hides alcohol well, but lasting bitterness makes this more of a sipping beer. I'd like to try this side by side with Hop Rod and Rye Squared. On its own, I thought it was enjoyable but nothing too exciting.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a brown stuby 12 oz twist off into a pub glass. The color is a redish copper, transparent. Produceing a 1 inch tan head. Receeding to leave a thin cap and smallish lace.

Aroma of juicy greapefruit hops, rye spice, caramel malty sweetness, toasted whole grain bread.

Taste is prodiminatly grapefruit and pine hops with plenty of malt to back. Buttered caramel rolls. Mouthfeel is slick and creamy, carbonation present throughout, but laid back. Finishing clean and crisp with a modest linger of pine.

Delicious brew! Goes down really easy.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Copper/orange in color, with a bubbly head which mostly diminishes.

Smells of floral hops.

Tastes unique. Hoppy, thats for sure, but also a grainy spice in there too, to compliment the fruity hop/malt interaction.
Mouthfeel is smooth and makes me want another sip.

This may be the best rye beer Ive had. If you want a RYE-P.A. this is as good as any.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Redder copper with decent retention and a head that plays with the just-above body in a nice way.

Smell: Rye IPA? Sweeter malt flavors. Fruit and citrus. Balanced and good overall.

Taste: Again, I don't get much rye. I love rye bread, but here it's a lot of sweetness and bitter and citrus hops with a fair amount of fruit esters, apple, citrus, and a bit of bread. Long, good, sweet and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and well-carbonated. A pleasure with great creaminess.

Drinkability: Solid all around. Founders again. Could easily drink more than one.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a brilliant chestnut with a crazy big head of mountainous, ecru foam. The retention is ridiculous, and because of my terrible pouring (and probably the fact that I pryed the cap of with a bottle opener, not realizing it was a twist off--it made a huge sound), I couldn't get the whole bottle in the glass for a good number of minutes.

The aroma is malt, rye, and alcohol with a touch of hops.

Huge blast of caramel on the palate. Notably roasty and hoppy, leaving a thick, resinous aftertaste. Big chewy body.

This is a tasty beer, and I'd love to have more, but it is a bit filling.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Served on tap 5/13 at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte. Got it free as my birthday beer.

A = Dark amber and clear with a light off white head. Good lacing throughout.

S = Lovely citrusy hop aroma.

T = Very nice citrus grapefruit hop with some sweet malt backbone. Excellent bitter finish with a little spicy kick and warming alcohol. Extremely tasty and well balanced.

M = Medium with some coating hop oiliness. Moderate carbonation allows the flavors to be in the forefront.

D = Extremely drinkable. Tasty and pleasing on the palate.

Excellent offering from Founders. I'm in love with their stouts and wanted to see how they performed in other areas. Very nice.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

My last bottle out of 12 I had brought home (half were Red's Rye, the others were the more recently labeled Red's Rye PA).

A: Pours a deeper amber hue, with a puffy white head that's a little short but retains well. Strings of lace drape down the glass as it goes down.

S: A nice balance of hop and malt aromas, with a little touch of rye adding a pleasant touch. It's actually rather delicate and subtle, at least moreso than I was expecting.

T: Flavour and mouthfeel are where this beer shines. Some pungent, spicy and herbal hops with a nice kick from the rye towards the finish, which lingers a bit with the hoppiness. Body is kinda medium with just enough carbonation to keep it interesting... it's very suitable for the flavours, and allows them to develop in the mouth with each sip.

D: A solid, tasty offering. It's very enjoyable, with just a little alcohol warmth adding to it. Fortunately, I can pick it up locally now and look forward to having it more often!

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Pours a murky copper with chunks of yeast cake sinking to the bottom. The head is meringue-like with soft peaks on the top. It's long lasting and leaves great lacing.

S: Herbal & piney hops with some rye spice.

T: Starts malty, fruity, and hoppy and ends with a peppery rye kick.

M: Medium bodied. Nice.

D: I'd definitely drink a 6 pack of this.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful looking beer. Perfect coppery orange color, head retains very well, sticks to the glass all the way down.
Mostly hoppy nose, I do even get some grapefruit in there (I checked, I have a grapefruit in my kitchen).
Now I can taste a bit of rye in there. It's kind of strange, like a piece of rye bread with a big wallop of hops baked in, then put into liquid form. Lovely really.
Definitely seek this one out, well worth it. Glad that Founders is now available here in Virginia, looking forward to more of their stuff.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Served on-tap into a tulip glass at TDR in Exton

Pours a bright copper with red and amber streaks. A decent off-white head.

Big fruity notes in the nose - grapefruit, pineapple, etc. Serious malt too. Hoppiness poking through the nose as well.

A blast of hops at the front, balanced well by sweet malts. The rye spice is there too. Dry, crisp, slightly bitter in a good way.

Medium-bodied, easy to drink, easy to drink. Well worth seeking out

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a darkish-red color with a one-finger head into my glass. Nice hue here.

Aroma is spicy and full of grassy hops in the nose. Very inviting aroma and it reminds me of rye beers that I've homebrewed.

Taste is sweet and spicy and reminiscent of a slice of rye. Grassy hops shows up in the middle but they don't dominate the palate, allowing the rye to shine through more.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering spicy rye and grassy hops. Very nice overall feeling to this beer. Enjoyable as well.

I love this beer. It reminds me of why I have homebrewed several rye beers. There's just something about the flavors and the mouthfeel that keeps me coming back. This is certainly a marvelous professional example of the style.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company